PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft RGIII trade rumors begin/Chiefs fans give up that dream

Okie_Apparition
01-17-2012, 12:53 PM
The first Robert Griffin to Browns trade rumor emerges

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 17, 2012, 1:20 PM EST

The Browns need a quarterback badly. They own the No. 4 overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur already made some positive comments about Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, so it was only a matter of time before a report emerged connecting the Browns to Griffin with something more tangible than speculation.

As part of NFL.com’s ridiculously early mock draft party on Tuesday, Steve Wyche projects the Browns will trade up with the Rams for the No. 2 overall pick to take Griffin.

“Cleveland needs Griffin — and wants him, according to league sources,” Wyche writes.

He points out that the Browns have the most ammo of any team looking to move up, and the Rams would probably like to move down but stay in the top five.

This is all way too early, but it makes a lot of sense. It makes so much sense that we expect to hear some variation of this rumor on a regular basis until late April.

jd1020
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Never had the dream. :huh:

Mr_Tomahawk
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
We were never going to trade up for one of the QBs anyway.

I don't know why fans get their hopes up.

SCOTT PIOLI.

Okie_Apparition
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
He's going to have to get caught peddling drugs or diddling infants to fall

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
The Rams would be smart to trade with the Browns. I could see the Browns giving up three 1st round picks to trade up.....their 2 this year and their 1st rounder next year.

Chief Roundup
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
The Rams would be smart to trade with the Browns. I could see the Browns giving up three 1st round picks to trade up.....their 2 this year and their 1st rounder next year.

Well it would be stupid to give up that much to move up 2 spots. They are the Browns though. They have a lot of needs.

saphojunkie
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Rams could also trade Bradford to Pat Shurmur and take RG3 for themselves. Fisher seems to always have athletic, mobile QB's.

Sofa King
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM

That is a shitton of picks to move up 2 spots.

-King-
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

To move up 2 spots? Holmgren should be fired if he ever did something like that.

scho63
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
He's going to have to get caught peddling drugs or diddling infants to fall

START THE RUMOR AND MAYBE HE WILL FALL TO US!

LMAO

Okie_Apparition
01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks to the quote I can see the folly in my thinking
Fisher loves him some thuggery
III goes to the Rams if one of those happen

Direckshun
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
People,

The market for QBs is going to be MUCH better value in 2013.

The market for them in 2012 sucks. You essentially got two guys in the draft, Peyton Manning one hit from retirement, and Matt "Who Knows" Flynn.

There will not be an Andrew Luck in 2013, but there will be plenty of guys we'll be staring at hard in 2013.

Ming the Merciless
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I will always remember the dream of that night

Of holding my RGIII jersey so tighht

Why did you have to walk away?????

IVE GOT DREAMS

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/if9rI9BoUas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
To move up 2 spots? Holmgren should be fired if he ever did something like that.

I could see it happening.

jd1020
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I could see it happening.

I think it would be tough for them to part with that much. That second first rounder they have is pretty big. They could use it on a guy like Kendall Wright. Someone RG3 is familiar with and an offensive weapon that Cleveland NEEDS.

I could see them giving up the #4, 2012 2nd rounder, 2013 1st rounder.

donkhater
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
It really puzzles the hell out of me when sports sites talk about teams that NEED a QB and list 5-6 teams and KC isn't one of them.

Like this article starts by saying the the Browns NEED a QB. That may be so, but after scoring only one TD in 11 of 16 games (is that right) how can anyone not say KC needs a QB and shuldn't be in these discussions. Are they blind?

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
It really puzzles the hell out of me when sports sites talk about teams that NEED a QB and list 5-6 teams and KC isn't one of them.

Like this article starts by saying the the Browns NEED a QB. That may be so, but after scoring only one TD in 11 of 16 games (is that right) how can anyone not say KC needs a QB and shuldn't be in these discussions. Are they blind?

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_ju/assets/widget_bImbtQ1DzkMyu3WvLAtCos.jpg

htismaqe
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
People,

The market for them in 2012 sucks. You essentially got two guys in the draft, Peyton Manning one hit from retirement, and Matt "Who Knows" Flynn.

There will not be an Andrew Luck in 2013, but there will be plenty of guys we'll be staring at hard in 2013.

If all goes well, Matt Cassel will be a free agent in early March, too. ;)

jd1020
01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Probably because no one outside of KC understands, or even gives a shit, whats going on with the Chiefs.

Fritz88
01-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Don't buy that Mikey Holgy goes after RGIII.
Posted via Mobile Device

rico
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Cleveland eh? Well, I guess RG3 is going to be a bust......

HemiEd
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM

At least they have tried to get a QB.

rico
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

True, true....

Garcia Bronco
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
RG3 will be a bust no matter where he goes if he's drafted in the first round.

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
What about the Q/B from Wisconsin? Where is he projected to go? IMO his game looked more polished for the NFL type Q/B than RGIII.

htismaqe
01-17-2012, 04:10 PM
What about the Q/B from Wisconsin? Where is he projected to go? IMO his game looked more polished for the NFL type Q/B than RGIII.

He's pretty short.

whoman69
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Maybe we could trade Cassel to them as an alternative/stopgap for McCoy.

chiefzilla1501
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM

I think the point is that if Cleveland really wants RGIII, it will take an act of God for the Chiefs to beat them with a better trade offer.

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I wonder if Cleveland will go after Matt Flynn. They could come out of the draft with Flynn, Richardson and a top WR.

Coogs
01-17-2012, 04:45 PM

BUT, if he is drafted the 2nd round or later... HOF baby!!

Chiefaholic
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
We were never going to trade up for one of the QBs anyway.

I don't know why fans get their hopes up.

SCOTT PIOLI.

Did Scott make an attempt to trade up in the draft last year? If he did, then everybody needs to STFU about Pioli's view of the draft. Most fans are wrong about Clark Hunt being a "cheap ass". And most fans are wrong about who Pioli wants, who he will and won't draft at certain positions in the draft, and wrong about Pioli making no attempts to trade up for a guy he wants.

Urc Burry
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Did Scott make an attempt to trade up in the draft last year? If he did, then everybody needs to STFU about Pioli's view of the draft. Most fans are wrong about Clark Hunt being a "cheap ass". And most fans are wrong about who Pioli wants, who he will and won't draft at certain positions in the draft, and wrong about Pioli making no attempts to trade up for a guy he wants.

Rumors about him trying trading up for either Julio Jones or Pouncey were floating around... both make sense in retrospect. We went those 2 positions in the next 2 rounds

whoman69
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM

True, true....

Each time they do it, they forget to cover the other big holes on their team or add any skill players around them.

beach tribe
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm actually really liking Foles.
What are you guys' thoughts on him. I know his W-L record isn't great, but it's hard to win when your defense has an average against of 40+ points IIRC.

Dude looks to have everything you want. I'm on his wagon, and would be pissed to see us pass on him if he were there in the 2nd.

htismaqe
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
What are you guys' thoughts on him. I know his W-L record isn't great, but it's hard to win when your defense has an average against of 40+ points IIRC.

Dude looks to have everything you want. I'm on his wagon, and would be pissed to see us pass on him if he were there in the 2nd.

I think he's a 1-read guy. I'm not super impressed.

Saccopoo
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Honestly?

I think he's a less athletic version of current KC Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel, without Cassel's NFL experience.

He forces a lot of passes and really locks on his primary receiver right from the get go and usually doesn't come off him. He'll need a solid QB coach to get him to the NFL level. Career backup at best IMO.

But he's "prototype" for NFL QB size, so he's got that going for him...which is nice.

MahiMike
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
People,

This. We had our chance at 0-3 and screwed up by coming back in the Indy game.

tredadda
01-17-2012, 10:26 PM

And beating Minn, watching SD fumble a game away, winning against Chi on a hail mary and somehow stunning GB.

Chief Roundup
01-17-2012, 11:22 PM

And beating Minn, watching SD fumble a game away, winning against Chi on a hail mary and somehow stunning GB.

I think we should of beat Indy, and Minnesota. We should of lost to the faid, dolts, and the Bears. I also think that winning those 2 at the end is good for the team psychy. With 4 wins we would be drafting 4 to 6 area and a real shot at RGIII.

lcarus
01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I mean, it's questionable if the dumb **** Pioli would even take Griffin if he had the #2 pick, so there's no chance in hell he would ever go out of his way to trade up to get him. This franchise is doomed to never draft a top QB out of college. Yet they probably sit there and wonder "Gee, how come we haven't won a Super Bowl in 40+ years?". We need a front office with a clue before anything else.

beach tribe
01-18-2012, 02:06 AM
I think he's a 1-read guy. I'm not super impressed.

Honestly?
I was really hoping you would lie :p

I think he's a less athletic version of current KC Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel, without Cassel's NFL experience.

He forces a lot of passes and really locks on his primary receiver right from the get go and usually doesn't come off him. He'll need a solid QB coach to get him to the NFL level. Career backup at best IMO.

But he's "prototype" for NFL QB size, so he's got that going for him...which is nice.

I agree that he needs work reading the field, and does lock on his primary receiver, but his arm is light years ahead of Cassel's.
He's got a gun.

BryanBusby
01-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Rams could also trade Bradford to Pat Shurmur and take RG3 for themselves. Fisher seems to always have athletic, mobile QB's.

This isn't Madden.

Yeah he can join Cam Newton in the bust li.....hey wait a second.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 07:27 AM
I think we should of beat Indy, and Minnesota. We should of lost to the faid, dolts, and the Bears. I also think that winning those 2 at the end is good for the team psychy. With 4 wins we would be drafting 4 to 6 area and a real shot at RGIII.

Those last 2 wins were AWESOME.

I mean it locked up the HC job for Romeo AND dropped us out of the top 10.

:banghead:

Danman
01-18-2012, 07:59 AM

This board was full of the same stuff two years ago. Pioli will NEVER take a safety at 5 . . . Glad that worked out for them.

Coogs
01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
This board was full of the same stuff two years ago. Pioli will NEVER take a safety at 5 . . . Glad that worked out for them.

The thing is, as of right now we appear to be sitting in a bad spot at #11 or #12. There also has to be an attractive player to the Colts/Rams at #11 or #12 to entice them to want to trade down... regardless of the rest of the goodies that are thrown into the deal.

Chiefnj2
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
The thing is, as of right now we appear to be sitting in a bad spot at #11 or #12. There also has to be an attractive player to the Colts/Rams at #11 or #12 to entice them to want to trade down... regardless of the rest of the goodies that are thrown into the deal.

The only way to flip with those guys is to give them a player in addition to picks. If the Rams want a WR you'd have to tag Bowe and give them the 2012 first and maybe something else. If the Vikings want a CB you'd have to tag Carr and do the same. Otherwise it's too easy for Cleveland and/or Washington to make a deal.

Coogs
01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
The only way to flip with those guys is to give them a player in addition to picks. If the Rams want a WR you'd have to tag Bowe and give them the 2012 first and maybe something else. If the Vikings want a CB you'd have to tag Carr and do the same. Otherwise it's too easy for Cleveland and/or Washington to make a deal.

I agree. You are going to have to make things very attractive to entice a team to want to move from #1 or #2 all the way down to our spot.

BigChiefFan
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
If we are willling to trade up, why not get the best prospect at QB?

Okie_Apparition
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Isray has said they're drafting Luck at #1
Shurmur has got #4 & #22 and is starting his second season as HC
Winning or possibly starting a rookie QB can extend that 3 year HC window

Willie Lanier
01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
This topic never goes away... It's not going to happen.. It sucks... Move along

The Franchise
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
The most likely scenario is:

Colts - Andrew Luck
Browns (TRADE) - RGIII
Vikings - Matt Kalil
Rams (TRADE) - Justin Blackmon

The Browns more than likely give up their 2 1st round picks this year and their 2nd next year.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM

You think Tebow's a quality NFL QB, your posts are invalid on the subject sorry.

sparkky
01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
The most likely scenario is:

Colts - Andrew Luck
Browns (TRADE) - RGIII
Vikings - Matt Kalil
Rams (TRADE) - Justin Blackmon

The Browns more than likely give up their 2 1st round picks this year and their 2nd next year.

this will be close, but I expect Holmgren to make a run at Flynn because of the ties to GB.

Willie Lanier
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
this will be close, but I expect Holmgren to make a run at Flynn because of the ties to GB.

Those ties are a DISTANT memory... Because he coached there 10 years ago he'll fall in love with a player drafted 7 years after he left? What?

bowener
01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

How many years was Holmgren gone before Flynn was drafted and why would his ties to GB a decade ago matter today?

Not being a prick, just curious what you see.

Willie Lanier
01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Welcome to Cleveland RGIII... I wish we had a shot but there is almost no feasible package to offer (We're not giving up Bowe plus 2 firsts and a 3rd and that's what I think it would take)...

I'll just pray the Browns continue to set the standard for incompetence and stick with McCoy for another year, but I don't think it's happening...

O.city
01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
If you were the Colts would you think about RGIII? If you go into a full rebuild mold I think he could be better in the long run.

Willie Lanier
01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
If you were the Colts would you think about RGIII? If you go into a full rebuild mold I think he could be better in the long run.

Absolutely. I think he has all the tools you want and doesn't have the media imposed entitlement of Andrew Luck. I'd do it in a heartbeat, let him sit behind Peyton, let him finish his last 3 years of glory in Indy and go from there...

Don't think it will happen though

whoman69
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Absolutely. I think he has all the tools you want and doesn't have the media imposed entitlement of Andrew Luck. I'd do it in a heartbeat, let him sit behind Peyton, let him finish his last 3 years of glory in Indy and go from there...

Don't think it will happen though

Luck is the safer pick.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Luck is ready to go. RG3 is gonna be a bit of a project

R8RFAN
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
You guys need to suck one more year and get a real qb in the draft... Maybe someone kiper likes the way he did Jameatloaf

Chiefaholic
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
I mean, it's questionable if the dumb **** Pioli would even take Griffin if he had the #2 pick, so there's no chance in hell he would ever go out of his way to trade up to get him. This franchise is doomed to never draft a top QB out of college. Yet they probably sit there and wonder "Gee, how come we haven't won a Super Bowl in 40+ years?". We need a front office with a clue before anything else.

AGAIN... Are you and the group with this theory illiterate, or refuse to accept FACTS that disprove your theory on who Pioli will and won't draft? It's a proven damn fact that Pioli made an attempt to move up in the draft for a player he wants. Stop with the "dumb *** Pioli" crap about a guy who has more NFL knowledge in his pinky finger than you. You read fan opinions on here and take it as facts. When actual facts contradict the b****ing and whining, people tend to ignore them and continue their rant as if it didn't happen.

I sincerely hope Pioli can work out a trade scenario to get us a franchise QB. But, to sit there and state that Pioli wouldn't take RGIII if we were sitting at #2 makes you look ignorant. I'm sure you were one of the prophets who said there was no way in hell Pioli would take Berry as well.