PDA

View Full Version : News Gas up before Sunday

bevischief
01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Key US oil supplier may cut off spigot Sunday
Associated PressBy CHRIS KAHN | Associated Press – Fri, Jan 13, 2012

Angry youths protest in front of the National television station on fourth day of the nationwide strike on the removal of a fuel subsidy by the government in Lagos, Nigeria, Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012. A union representing 20,000 oil and gas workers in Nigeria threatened Thursday it would shut down all production starting Sunday to take part in the crippling nationwide strike over spiraling fuel prices. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)

Angry youths protest in front of the National television station on fourth day of …

NEW YORK (AP) — One of the biggest suppliers of oil to the United States may shut off the spigot this weekend, pushing crude and gasoline prices higher for Americans.

Nigeria, which supplies 8 percent of U.S. oil imports, could see production halted if striking workers walk off the job Sunday. Workers are demanding the return of a vital government fuel subsidy that has kept gasoline prices low in that impoverished and restive nation of 160 million people.

It's unclear how much of Nigeria's production would be affected. At worst, the country's 20,000 unionized oil workers could take as much as 2.4 million barrels of daily crude production off the market, striking at the heart of Nigeria's oil-dependent economy.

http://news.yahoo.com/key-us-oil-supplier-may-cut-off-spigot-221105937.html;_ylt=Anx1tAXSXnNV4g.y8aTE8BatSfQA;_ylu=X3oDMTRvOXBpa29hBGNjb2RlA2%E2%80%8BdtcHRvcDEwM DBwb29sd2lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwNhMjIwNmEzNS1lNDkyLT%E2%80%8BNhYmUtOWJjNy04MTk1OTJk Y2FhZDkEcG9zAzIEc2VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDOGNkYWQyZTAtM2%E2%80%8BUzNy0xMWUxLWJmZmYtYjczYjYzZGE2Zjg 0;_ylg=X3oDMTNkNmZybXBoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11%E2%80%8BcwRwc3RhaWQDOGU0YmY0ZDYtMjA1YS0zMmMwLTg3YjUt OGZlN2VkYzhiZmY2BHBzdGNhdAN1c3xjcmlt%E2%80%8BZXMgYW5kIHRyaWFscwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2UEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
ive been stocking gasoline in trashcans in my basement

Imon Yourside
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Time to tap Prudhoe Bay and lift the middle finger.

gblowfish
Donger just creamed in his jeans.

Bwana
Another example of why they need to stop screwing around with the Keystone pipeline project.

SPchief
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Donger just jizzed

Dayze
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Time to Invade Nigeria.

Bob Dole
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Awesome. We can look forward to the refined producers tripling the actual price increase, the retailers doubling their actual price increase, then both reporting record profits for Q1 of 2012.

Donger
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes. Yes! YYYYYEEESSSS!

And I'm spent.

oldandslow
01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Another example of why they need to stop screwing around with the Keystone pipeline project.

There isn't a rancher/farmer (all conservatives) in SD or NE that supports keystone. Lot's of reasons why.

SPchief
01-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes. Yes! YYYYYEEESSSS!

And I'm spent.

Come on, I know you want to bump the Gasoline prices thread.

journeyscarab
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

That's not going to happen anytime soon...

Breaking: State Department to reject Keystone pipeline today
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/2012/01/18/gIQAwoVE8P_story.html

By Juliet Eilperin and Steven Mufson, Wednesday, January 18, 10:39 AM
The Obama administration will announce this afternoon it is rejecting a Canadian firm’s application for a permit to build and operate a massive oil pipeline across the U.S.-Canada border, according to sources who have been briefed on the matter.

However the administration will allow TransCanada to reapply after it develops an alternate route through the sensitive habitat of Nebraska’s Sandhills. Deputy Secretary of State William J. Burns will make the announcement, which comes in response to a congressionally-mandated deadline of Feb. 21 for action on the proposed Keystone pipeline.

01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
That's not going to happen anytime soon...

Breaking: State Department to reject Keystone pipeline today
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/2012/01/18/gIQAwoVE8P_story.html

By Juliet Eilperin and Steven Mufson, Wednesday, January 18, 10:39 AM
The Obama administration will announce this afternoon it is rejecting a Canadian firm’s application for a permit to build and operate a massive oil pipeline across the U.S.-Canada border, according to sources who have been briefed on the matter.

However the administration will allow TransCanada to reapply after it develops an alternate route through the sensitive habitat of Nebraska’s Sandhills. Deputy Secretary of State William J. Burns will make the announcement, which comes in response to a congressionally-mandated deadline of Feb. 21 for action on the proposed Keystone pipeline.

Eventually they will consider dirt too valuable a resource to dig.

mlyonsd
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
There isn't a rancher/farmer (all conservatives) in SD or NE that supports keystone. Lot's of reasons why.This isn't correct.

Coltman
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
said he would not support the Keystone Pipeline. There goes 100,000 good paying jobs.

Donger
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
There isn't a rancher/farmer (all conservatives) in SD or NE that supports keystone. Lot's of reasons why.

LMAO

penchief
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Eventually they will consider dirt too valuable a resource to dig.

I would rank Air, Water, and Soil above gas and oil on the list of most valuable resources. Just my opinion, though.

Unfortunately, my opinion doesn't count as much the opinions of those who place Wall Street profits above all else that is holy.

penchief
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
said he would not support the Keystone Pipeline. There goes 100,000 good paying jobs.

Anytime you brandish the energy industry's calculations you can pretty much count on it being an exaggeration. It's all about the PR when it comes promoting "clean" and "safe" (cough....cough) energy exploration.

Donger
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I would rank Air, Water, and Soil above gas and oil on the list of most valuable resources. Just my opinion, though.

Unfortunately, my opinion doesn't count as much the opinions of those who place Wall Street profits above all else that is holy.

Boy, I sure hope you don't use any crude products. You know, those which are delivered to you and your vehicle by pipeline and by sea.

penchief
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Boy, I sure hope you don't use any crude products. You know, those which are delivered to you and your vehicle by pipeline and by sea.

Gee, I hope you don't expect to breathe clean air or drink clean water. You know, those things that are essential to your existence.

Hey, I'm all good with energy exploration. I'm all for energy independence, too. Just because our choices are limited by a market that is monopolized by fossil fuels doesn't mean that I'm a hypocrite if I choose air and water over gas and oil. I just want it done safely and cleanly.

However, if it can't be done cleanly and safely I'm all for waiting until it can. The long term cost for the many can be too high just so a few in the short term can get rich. We are smart enough to find a better way but greed is preventing us.

Drill Baby Drill isn't about energy independence, either. It's about a few entities getting filthy rich. 90% of the gas being extracted from the Marcellus shale goes straight to the world market. At a huge environmental cost to the people who live in that region.

Interesting that America's number one export is fuel but the rhetoric is still about energy independence. It's all propaganda and double speak by the energy industry and those who get rich manipulating the market. It doesn't matter if the pursuit of that goal turns the United States into a third world country in the process.

The Keystone Pipeline is not going to make us any more energy independent than the Marcellus Shale. And it sure as hell won't make the price of gas go down either. The threat of high gas prices is the gun put to our head by the industry in order to continue getting its way. It will make a bunch of people rich, though. It's all a big game and we are forced to play along.

Lies, lies, and more lies.....

Donger
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Gee, I hope you don't expect to breathe clean air or drink clean water. You know, those things that are essential to your existence.

Hey, I'm all good with energy exploration. I'm all for energy independence, too. Just because our choices are limited by a market that is monopolized by fossil fuels doesn't mean that I'm a hypocrite if I choose air and water over gas and oil. I just want it done safely and cleanly. If it can't be done safely and cleanly we are smart enough to find a better way. But we choose not to because of greed.

However, if it can't be done cleanly and safely I'm all for waiting until it can. The long term cost for the many can be too high just so a few in the short term can get rich.

Drill Baby Drill isn't about energy independence, either. It's about a few entities getting filthy rich. 90% of the gas being extracted from the Marcellus shale goes straight to the world market. At a huge environmental cost to the people who live in that region.

Interesting that America's number one export is fuel but the rhetoric is still about energy independence. It's all propaganda and double speak by the energy industry and those who get rich manipulating the market. It doesn't matter if the pursuit of that goal turns the United States into a third world country in the process.

The Keystone Pipeline is not going to make us any more energy independent than the Marcellus Shale. And it sure as hell won't make the price of gas go down either. The threat of high gas prices is the gun put to our head by the industry in order to continue getting its way. It will make a bunch of people rich, though. It's all a big game and we are forced to play along.

Lies, lies, and more lies.....

That's the longest, "Well, yeah, I buy lots of gasoline but I like to bitch about it occasionally being messy" response I've ever seen.

You already use plenty of crude from Canada and Mexico.

gblowfish
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Vasoline is a petroleum product.
The CP should be in panic mode by Monday!

Imon Yourside
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Vasoline is a petroleum product.
The CP should be in panic mode by Monday!

What about KY?

Iowanian
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM

wrong.

tooge
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
I guess those Nigerian scams aren't turning out so well

Deberg_1990
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Gas up before Sunday.....ok, so what do i do when i run out of gas a week later?

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Drill Baby Drill isn't about energy independence, either. It's about a few entities getting filthy rich.

So big oil DOES have something in common with wind and solar power...

penchief
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
That's the longest, "Well, yeah, I buy lots of gasoline but I like to bitch about it occasionally being messy" response I've ever seen.

You already use plenty of crude from Canada and Mexico.

Again, I guess you don't ever breathe clean air or drink clean water. Because it would seem that some people take those type of things for granted.

I buy as little gasoline as I can. I'm a conservative that way. However, your analogy is weak. The only way someone could avoid using petrolium products in our society is to kill themself. Or live like Grizzly Adams (which by the way, is the direction I'm headed). But thanks to the fact that there is a damn gas rig on every ****ing mountain top in my back yard now, that dream is kind of ****ed, too.

Just because we've chosen to **** ourselves over with fossil fuels doesn't mean we might as well say, "**** it," and go all in. Which is exactly what we are doing at the cost of our future. If we can put a man on the moon we can do better than this. We can develop the technology to extract it and burn it more safely but we choose not to because its all about the money first.

Donger
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Again, I guess you don't ever breathe clean air or drink clean water. Because it would seem that some people take those type of things for granted.

I buy as little gasoline as I can. I'm a conservative that way. However, your analogy is weak. The only way someone could avoid using petrolium products in our society is to kill themself. Or live like Grizzly Adams (which by the way, is the direction I'm headed). But thanks to the fact that there is a damn gas rig on every ****ing mountain top in my back yard now, that dream is kind of ****ed, too.

Just because we've chosen to **** ourselves over with fossil fuels doesn't mean we might as well say, "**** it," and go all in. Which is exactly what we are doing at the cost of our future. If we can put a man on the moon we can do better than this. We can develop the technology to extract it and burn it more safely but we choose not to because its all about the money first.

Good, I use as little as I can, too. The difference is that I'm not a huge hypocrite about it.

The FACT is that gasoline and diesel are the only presently-viable methods of fueling our vehicles. Unless and until we get another source, I'll take all and every source of that crude we can find, particularly from friendly sources.

I realize that you are all giddy about us killing ourselves through fossil fuel poisoning the air and water, but the fact is that we are not. Is there a remote possibility of this pipeline leaking and killing some fish? Yes, but the benefit it would bring FAR outweigh that minimal risk.

Skyy God
01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm going to make a killing!!

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/dailymotion/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fx7mk17_it-s-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-d_fun/embed/XW-3blPVAdDe6wKg7B353Q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/dailymotion/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fx7mk17_it-s-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-d_fun/embed/XW-3blPVAdDe6wKg7B353Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Skyy God
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM

This may be the most garbage statistic to grace CP, which is saying something.

penchief
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
So big oil DOES have something in common with wind and solar power...

There'll be scammers in everything we do as long as our system is set up for bribery. However, that is a different issue than the environmental damage that is being ignored by the recent push to drill at all costs.

gblowfish
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I was watching Frontline about the future of Nuclear Power in Japan and Germany last night (because I couldn't find "The Beverly Hillbillies").

All I thought of over and over was..."Man, that German scientist chick is HOT. I'd like to have nasty lab sex with her!"

I've got this thing about hot German Blonde women in business attire....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/nuclear-aftershocks/

penchief
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Good, I use as little as I can, too. The difference is that I'm not a huge hypocrite about it.

The FACT is that gasoline and diesel are the only presently-viable methods of fueling our vehicles. Unless and until we get another source, I'll take all and every source of that crude we can find, particularly from friendly sources.

I realize that you are all giddy about us killing ourselves through fossil fuel poisoning the air and water, but the fact is that we are not. Is there a remote possibility of this pipeline leaking and killing some fish? Yes, but the benefit it would bring FAR outweigh that minimal risk.

This is the kind of talk we always hear when the industry wants their way. Before tragedy happens. And the tragedy always happens. Minimize the risks and exaggerate the benefits. And when evidence starts to rear its ugly head, resort to denial, denial, denial. That's the way the industry always does it. Follow suit ye minions.

The only reason our viable options are limited is because the status quo has done its best to stifle the alternatives and promote the its own interests. This is all about maintaining the status quo. If the subsidies that are given to the oil companies were given to research we'd already have a brighter future instead of being held captive by the oil and gas industry. Jimmy Carter had it right. Instead of mocking carter, Ronald Regan would have been wiser to exercise the same forsight. Instead, he was a shortsighted lackey to the oil industry. Well, to all of big business.

Donger
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
This is the kind of talk we always hear when the industry wants their way. Before tragedy happens. And the tragedy always happens. Minimize the risks and exaggerate the benefits. And when evidence starts to rear its ugly head, resort to denial, denial, denial. That's the way the industry always does it. Follow suit ye minions.

The only reason our viable options are limited is because the status quo has done its best to stifle the alternatives and promote the its own interests. This is all about maintaining the status quo. If the subsidies that are given to the oil companies were given to research we'd already have a brighter future instead of being held captive by the oil and gas industry. Jimmy Carter had it right. Instead of mocking carter, Ronald Regan would have been wiser to exercise the same forsight. Instead, he was a shortsighted lackey to the oil industry. Well, to all of big business.

Errr, what tragedy do you think is going to happen because of one new oil pipeline? Mass deaths or something?

Also, what alternative do you think have been stifled?

stevieray
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
IIRC, didn't the Ohio river literally catch on fire a liitle over a hundred years ago? ..due to toxins being dumped from the manufacturing industry? (specifically the auto industry?)

pretty sure that's not gonna happen again.

...think I'll go for a drive.

penchief
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Errr, what tragedy do you think is going to happen because of one new oil pipeline? Mass deaths or something?

Also, what alternative do you think have been stifled?

The alternatives have all been discussed for decades but hardly pursued in earnest. A dedicated effort to do better would have yielded much more than it has thus far.

The environmental degradation of extracting and burninig fossil fuels is well documented. That's the reason there are environmental laws. However, the industry has successfully lobbied to be exempted from many of the major regulations that have served us well for decades. Which is leading to a slow attrition of the environment in my back yard. Ground water, air, and soil are all affected.

If we can't get off oil and gas at least we should make an honest effort to refine the process to make it less detrimental. But I get it. I think we CAN do better and should do better. While you are happy with the status quo.

Donger
01-18-2012, 03:18 PM
The alternatives have all been discussed for decades but hardly pursued in earnest. A dedicated effort to do better would have yielded much more than it has thus far.

The environmental degradation of extracting and burninig fossil fuels is well documented. That's the reason there are environmental laws. However, the industry has successfully lobbied to be exempted from many of the major regulations that have served us well for decades. Which is leading to a slow attrition of the environment in my back yard. Ground water, air, and soil are all affected.

If we can't get off oil and gas at least we should make an honest effort to refine the process to make it less detrimental. But I get it. I think we CAN do better and should do better. While you are happy with the status quo.

The alternatives are not viable, either economically or with regard to efficiency (or both) compared to refined crude.

Bwana
01-18-2012, 03:19 PM

They like to pay more for gas, or do they like the fact that Canada is going to tell us to **** off and sell the oil to China? Oh and I call Bullshit.

penchief
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
IIRC, didn't the Ohio river literally catch on fire a liitle over a hundred years ago? ..due to toxins being dumped from the manufacturing industry? (specifically the auto industry?)

pretty sure that's not gonna happen again.

...think I'll go for a drive.

I'm glad you are sure of that. Because I see industry being exempted from the very regulations that have prevented environmental degradation.

For example, the gas industry has been exempted from many major environmental regulations, including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Drinking Water Act, and the Superfund Act.

I wish I were as confident as you. But I see my backyard being trashed because the U.S. government has seen fit to exempt them from laws proven to be effective. And because Pennsylvania has a governor that is in bed with the gas industry and who has appointed gas industry advocates to positions within the PA Department of Environmental Conservation.

penchief
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
They like to pay more for gas, or do they like the fact that Canada is going to tell us to **** off and sell the oil to China? Oh and I call Bullshit.

The price of gas isn't going to go down with the Keystone Pipeline. It's a racket. The more the industry gets what it wants, the more nothing changes. Gas prices are set by Wall Street speculators. Supply and demand has nothing to do with it anymore. It's all about manipulating the global market.

If fewer people were susceptible to the rhetoric used by the industry to blackmail us, we might actully be able to affect some change. But as it is, the industry PR campaign is strong. We'll believe anything they say because why would they lie to us? They only want to give us jobs and lower gas prices, right?