PDA

View Full Version : Computers Bridging the gap between PC and console?

WV
01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Hands-on with the Alienware X51 (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/18/hands-on-with-the-alienware-x51)
An exciting new product category for both Dell and the market as a whole.
by Scott Lowe
January 18, 2012

In the realm of gaming desktops, innovation is often limited to improvements made to raw graphics processing power. The goal for most manufacturers, it seems, is to build the biggest, baddest rigs around, but this week Alienware introduced the X51; a product that instead focuses on compact design, affordability and minimal performance compromises.
<object id="vid_910b25f49c130c2ade5d62db0b650556" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/17/alienware-x51-video-preview"/></object><div style="width:480px"><a href="http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/17/alienware-x51-video-preview">More none Videos</a></div>

Where other companies have tried and failed, Alienware hopes to have finally found a way to make cost-effective, mid-ranged gaming rigs alluring to both entry-level and experienced PC players. The key to its strategy is the X51's small, versatile form factor, which enables it to be used in both traditional desktop setups or in entertainment centers like a game console, effectively bridging the gap between the two.

The concept, simple as it may be, is actually pretty appealing.

At a press event in San Francisco, Alienware demonstrated the range of applications for the X51, including pairings with a desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard, as well as with a big-screen HDTV across from a couch with wireless Xbox 360 controller.

In a desktop scenario, the X51 acts as a space-conscious mid-ranged PC, but in the console-style application, it blows the doors off of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 in terms of graphics. Games were played in crisp 1080p at framerates of 30 or more, while offering higher fidelity textures and better lighting effects. The company showcased games like Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed: The Run on high settings with no identifiable performance issues.

But, of course, the units on display weren't entry level versions of the X51 either.

The demos provided were based on the $999 configuration of the device, which incorporate NVIDIA's GTX 555 video card and Intel Core i5 processors, whereas the $699 sports a Intel Core i3 CPU and NVIDIA GT 545. While we haven't been able to compare the two versions first-hand, Alienware insists that even the cheapest version can run games like Battlefield 3 at 1080p and high settings with framerates of 30 and above.
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/01/Screen-Shot-2012-01-18-at-6.54.51-PM.png

But should you ever want to upgrade the X51's components later down the line, Alienware has made everything from the CPU to the power supply easily accessible. While accessing the motherboard take a bit more finesse, the GPU is mounted to a removable section of the chassis, which allows users to take the entire tray out, mount a new GPU and put it back in the system, requiring only power connections and alignment with the PCI port.

Although not ideal for everyone, the X51 is a creative new product category for not only Alienware, but the PC market as a whole.

loochy
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
errr so its a computer in a fancy looking box with a wireless controller? :spock:

WV
01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
errr so its a computer in a fancy looking box with a wireless controller? :spock:

It's pretty much all about marketing, but I still thought it was neat. If it actually performs like they say it also makes gaming pc's a little more affordable also. That's a big if though.

ChiefFripp
01-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I see the potential but I wonder about overheating and customization/upgrading.

loochy
01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I see the potential but I wonder about overheating and customization/upgrading.

There's the catch. They are probably using a small cheap mobo with onboard everything and no extra PCI slots, etc. It's probably not overclockable and not upgradeable. It's got to be cheap for a reason.

WV
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
And we can't forget that Alienware is now a Dell company.....that's a strike for me as well.

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
The reason to have a gaming PC is to max it out - overclocking, multiple GPUs, etc.

This kind of box can't do that.

Add to that, Dell's experience with "appliance" PCs is checkered with A LOT of failure, particularly in thermal issues (PSU failures, component damage, etc.).

I don't understand the idea that a person would pay $999 for something that is only marginally better than a PS3 or 360 but 5 times the cost.

beach tribe
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
My rig would stomp the dogshit out of that, and was built for way less.

loochy
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
My rig would stomp the dogshit out of that, and was built for way less.

Yeah, but does your rig have a little alien head with glowing eyes on it? That alone adds 25 fps to any game (and $300 to the price of the machine).

Demonpenz
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
note going to hate. Atleast it is SOMETHING.

Valiant
01-19-2012, 12:27 PM

You mean a console?

Seriously that is what consoles, each generation will get closer to being a PC.

Actually just talked about this Saturday. All you need is MS or sony to do this. Core software installed and option to increase storage and ram. I don't think graphics cards should be upgradable, too inconvienent for games makers imo. But once the consoles finally transition completly then yeah.

Hammock Parties
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Overpriced and underpowered.

Fish
01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
You mean console?

Seriously that is what consoles, each generation will get closer to being a PC.

Actually just talked about this Saturday. All you need is MS or sony to do this. Core software installed and option to increase storage and ram. I don't think graphics cards should be upgradable, too inconvienent for games makers imo. But once the consoles finally transition completly then yeah.

Well... that's the whole crux of the matter concerning console vs. PC.

Sure game makers would love it if the hardware they're writing games for would stay constant for a matter of years. But that's just lazy developing. Would we have more stable games if that were the case? Yes. But it would also stunt the evolution of graphics technology. PC gaming rigs ensure that game developers have to stay on top of changes in graphics technology. And in the long run, that's a good thing.

Pants
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Well... that's the whole crux of the matter concerning console vs. PC.

Sure game makers would love it if the hardware they're writing games for would stay constant for a matter of years. But that's just lazy developing. Would we have more stable games if that were the case? Yes. But it would also stunt the evolution of graphics technology. PC gaming rigs ensure that game developers have to stay on top of changes in graphics technology. And in the long run, that's a good thing.

Yeah, it's a symbiotic relationship. nVidia and ATI cards wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if the developers aren't pushing the limits either.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
no offense to the OP but this is a double fail.

PC benefits - max customization,upgradeable,max power per dollar spent
Console benefits - ready-to-go control settings,games made specifically for it,low price

This has none of the benefits of either and all the weaknesses

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it's a symbiotic relationship. nVidia and ATI cards wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if the developers aren't pushing the limits either.

Since nVidia and ATI make up 100% of all the GPU power in the Wii, XBox, and Playstation, I think they'd be ok if they didn't have to develop as many standalone video cards.

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
no offense to the OP but this is a double fail.

PC benefits - max customization,upgradeable,max power per dollar spent
Console benefits - ready-to-go control settings,games made specifically for it,low price

This has none of the benefits of either and all the weaknesses

Exactly.

Pants
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Since nVidia and ATI make up 100% of all the GPU power in the Wii, XBox, and Playstation, I think they'd be ok if they didn't have to develop as many standalone video cards.

touche

Fish
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM

I wouldn't agree with that. They make much more money per card by selling a single overpriced standalone GPU to Joe Blow, than they make selling 1 million underpriced GPUs to Microsoft or Sony for use in a console. As long as production costs remain somewhat equivalent between standalone GPUs, and console GPUs, they'll keep pumping out both.

Also, right now it looks like AMD will be producing GPUs for each of the 3 future console releases. nVidia will have to rely on standalone cards if that happens.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Cell-GPU-Bulldozer-Wii-U-PlayStation,news-11809.html

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't agree with that. They make much more money per card by selling a single overpriced standalone GPU to Joe Blow, than they make selling 1 million underpriced GPUs to Microsoft or Sony for use in a console. As long as production costs remain somewhat equivalent between standalone GPUs, and console GPUs, they'll keep pumping out both.

Also, right now it looks like AMD will be producing GPUs for each of the 3 future console releases. nVidia will have to rely on standalone cards if that happens.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Cell-GPU-Bulldozer-Wii-U-PlayStation,news-11809.html

That's why I said "I think they'd be ok if they didn't have to develop as many standalone video cards".

I didn't say "I think they'd be ok if they didn't have to develop standalone video cards".

Pants
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Doesn't nVidia pretty much have a monopoly on the mobile market with the Tegra, though?

Buck
01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't think the "gap" is in the direction you think it is.

Even my "affordable" gaming pc beats the shit out of the consoles in every category you can think of, except for games.

Pants
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think the "gap" is in the direction you think it is.

Even my "affordable" gaming pc beats the shit out of the consoles in every category you can think of, except for games.

Your gaming PC is worse for games than a console?

loochy
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Your gaming PC is worse for games than a console?

I think he is referring to the game titles available.

Pants
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I think he is referring to the game titles available.

Ahhh.

Discuss Thrower
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
As the saying goes, Jack of all trades -master of none.

Course I also have an mx-11 net book Alienware. Runs any games I had fine except for Supreme Commander, but even then I still liked Total Annihilation better anyway.

Fish
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Doesn't nVidia pretty much have a monopoly on the mobile market with the Tegra, though?

Sort of. The Tegra is actually a kind of all-in-one chip that contains a CPU, GPU, bridge, and memory. It's made up of so many different technologies that I really wouldn't consider it a monopoly so to speak. If anything, the ARM architecture would probably be considered the "monopoly" part of the Tegra chip. The Tegra would be nothing without the ARM architecture, and nVidia pays out quite a bit for it. So while the Tegra is super popular, it's not really all nVidia.. if that makes sense.

Skyy God
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
The other issue not yet raised is that, at least for shooters, you'd get curbstomped using a controller vs. PC opponents with a mouse/keyboard. They researched console/PC online bridging a while back, with predictable results.