PDA

View Full Version : KU Bill Self hates "Home of the Chiefs" during national anthem

Reaper16
01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2012/jan/20/altered-anthem-bothers-bill-self/

For some inexplicable reason, the words “Home of the Chiefs” instead of “Home of the Brave” emanate from Kansas University’s student section at the conclusion of the “Star-Spangled Banner” before KU basketball games in Allen Fieldhouse.

Ninth-year KU coach Bill Self hopes that peculiar rendition of the national anthem will end as soon as the next home game — Monday versus Texas A&M.

“I kept asking my wife, ‘What are they saying?’’’ said Self, informed by wife, Cindy, that some of the students mimic fans at Arrowhead Stadium — the true Home of the Chiefs — while singing the anthem.

“I said, ‘I didn’t know they were saying that. I couldn’t tell.’ I don’t think that’s good. I don’t think it’s anything we should be proud about as students to carry that on, because I don’t see the place for it when you are honoring your country,” Self added.

Nobody knows exactly when it started, but some of the KU students in the end zones have been chanting “Home of the Chiefs” several seasons now. Some of them perform the “tomahawk chop” when singing those words.

Of course, many students do not take part in the altering of the song.

“That’s one tradition that in my opinion certainly we could do without,” Self said. “I think it’d be more respectful toward the anthem and what that stands for to go ahead and use the actual words to it than putting in their own. I think they should stick to Francis Scott Key’s words. I think that would be more appropriate.”

Bill Self was always super-likeable to me, but this year he's starting to come across as a douche. First the childish "Why would we ever play Missouri if they aren't in our league?" tantrum, now this bullshit.

Donger
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't like it, either. No more than I do when some singer through in some extraneous "Yeahs" or other such crap.

pr_capone
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
It is one thing to do it at arrowhead. Kinda stupid to do it at the Fog.

Then again... they go to KU so perhaps they are confused as to what sport they are watching and at what venue?

Mr. Plow
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Never understood why they do it at KU games. It's a Chiefs thing....and should stay a Chiefs thing.

BourbonMan
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Then again... they go to KU so perhaps they are confused as to what sport they are watching and at what venue?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mr. Plow
Countdown until this turns into a KU/MU hate thread......

Pants
Yeah, this totally makes him a douche. :rolleyes:

He also REALLY REALLY hates it. I can just feel the hate seeping through:

I don’t think that’s good. I don’t think it’s anything we should be proud about as students to carry that on, because I don’t see the place for it when you are honoring your country.

Some more strong words of hate:

That’s one tradition that in my opinion certainly we could do without. I think it’d be more respectful toward the anthem and what that stands for to go ahead and use the actual words to it than putting in their own. I think they should stick to Francis Scott Key’s words. I think that would be more appropriate.

BourbonMan
01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Never understood why they do it at KU games. It's a Chiefs thing....and should stay a Chiefs thing.

I agree...it should only be at CHIEFS games.

Donger
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
It's not appropriate at Chiefs games, either.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree with him. The Home of Chiefs sure as fuck isn't Lawrence.

blaise
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm not a fan of it, but I don't get worked up over it. I wouldn't personally say, "Chiefs" but whatever.

Lzen
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Countdown? Hell, look at the first couple posts. LMAO

LiveSteam
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
It's not appropriate at Chiefs games, either.

This

Lzen
01-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah, this totally makes him a douche. :rolleyes:

He also REALLY REALLY hates it. I can just feel the hate seeping through:

Some more strong words of hate:

No kidding. I like Reaper, but he can be a drama queen at times.

FTR, I agree with Self. It doesn't make sense to do it at KU games. And even at Chiefs games I agree that it could be argued that its disrespectful to our country and the men who died fighting for our freedom. Still, I will continue singing "And the home of the............Chiefs!" at Arrowhead. :)

Molitoth
01-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I think it's pretty cool to do it at Arrowhead, otherwise I'm neutral.

Then again I'm not a fan of the way this country is mismanaged over war, power, greed, and money... so to hell if I pay respect to it in a silly song. If I'm forced to pay respect, I suppose you can count half my paycheck (taxes) as my payment of respect.

lcarus
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
"How dare anyone talk during our country's sacred song!" :rolleyes:

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I said, ‘I didn’t know they were saying that. I couldn’t tell.’ I don’t think that’s good. I don’t think it’s anything we should be proud about as students to carry that on, because I don’t see the place for it when you are honoring your country,” Self added.

Hey Bill how about checking out the history of the name jayhawker and see if that's something to be proud of you asshat.

hometeam
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I went to the 9/11 game this year. i couldnt imagine doing that, on 9/11, and you could tell much of the crowd felt the same way, it was quite a lackluster home of the chiefs.

Thats one tradition that I wouldnt mind seeing go.

Reaper16
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
If you don't put the Chiefs ahead of your own country then you're not a real fan.

Donger
01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey Bill how about checking out the history of the name jayhawker and see if that's something to be proud of you asshat.

Fighting people who wanted to spread slavery into Kansas? Yeah, I don't have any problem with that.

Saulbadguy
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
"How dare anyone talk during our country's sacred song!" :rolleyes:

You mean the song sang the tune of a drinking song?

Saulbadguy
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I went to the 9/11 game this year. i couldnt imagine doing that, on 9/11, and you could tell much of the crowd felt the same way, it was quite a lackluster home of the chiefs.

Thats one tradition that I wouldnt mind seeing go.

Dumbass.

The terrorists won.

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah cause when I was at a football game in Springfield this year, those inbreads did the same damn thing...

At a highschool football game.. :facepalm:

Hell have heard it at an Arena league game in Wichita and Tulsa before...

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I agree with him. The Home of Chiefs sure as **** isn't Lawrence.

Its Columbia jackass....

vailpass
01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Stupid.

luv
01-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah cause when I was at a football game in Springfield this year, those inbreads did the same damn thing...

At a highschool football game.. :facepalm:

Hell have heard it at an Arena league game in Wichita and Tulsa before...

I've never heard of that being done here. What game? Kickapoo (where they're actually the Chiefs, too)?

kchero
01-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Iv'e heard it at MU football games before. I personally dont have a problem with it.

kchero
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
I think it's pretty cool to do it at Arrowhead, otherwise I'm neutral.

Then again I'm not a fan of the way this country is mismanaged over war, power, greed, and money... so to hell if I pay respect to it in a silly song. If I'm forced to pay respect, I suppose you can count half my paycheck (taxes) as my payment of respect.

This

T-post Tom
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Bill Self was always super-likeable to me, but this year he's starting to come across as a douche. First the childish "Why would we ever play Missouri if they aren't in our league?" tantrum, now this bullshit.

Why did you use the word "hates" in the thread title? Self said it's "inappropriate". He never used the word "hate". And how the hell does that make him a douche? If you don't like KU: Just say so. Don't try to conjure a boogeyman that isn't there. That ploy is more than obvious & doesn't reflect well on you.

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
I've never heard of that being done here. What game? Kickapoo (where they're actually the Chiefs, too)?Lighthouse Academy Vs Community Christain

Was standing on the home side as we came in during the national anthem... And of course someone yells Chiefs...

I have heard it in MO, KS and OK... There is always some toolbox that thinks its cool...

morphius
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Can't see why you would do it anywhere other than Arrowhead. (Unless of course your college/hs/sports team is named the Chiefs)

Agent V
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Never thought it was a big deal. Have you seen the amount of military commemoration and patriotism at Chiefs games? I think they more than compensate for "disgracing" the anthem.

They've done it at Sporting KC games, and I kinda see it as a unifying force between teams. Beyond Kansas City, like in Lawrence, that's a little strange. They have enough original homefield traditions.

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Never thought it was a big deal. Have you seen the amount of military commemoration and patriotism at Chiefs games? I think they more than compensate for "disgracing" the anthem.

Its not about doing it at the Chiefs games...

Why do people feel compelled to do it at AFH, the Paige Center, or random HS football games across the midwest... Or at an arena football game in Tulsa?

Why would you yell Chiefs at you local highschool football game?

Agent V
01-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Its not about doing it at the Chiefs games...

Why do people feel compelled to do it at AFH, the Paige Center, or random HS football games across the midwest... Or at an arena football game in Tulsa?

Why would you yell Chiefs at you local highschool football game?

Yeah, I know. That's exactly what I said in the second part of my post. I don't understand doing it at high school games, Jayhawk football games, etc.

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I know. That's exactly what I said in the second part of my post. I don't understand doing it at high school games, Jayhawk football games, etc.you added that after I qouted you ..

Sorry

Reaper16
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Why did you use the word "hates" in the thread title? Self said it's "inappropriate". He never used the word "hate". And how the hell does that make him a douche? If you don't like KU: Just say so. Don't try to conjure a boogeyman that isn't there. That ploy is more than obvious & doesn't reflect well on you.
ITT: people are mystified at tried-and-true trolling tactics.

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Killing women and children in the fight for a cause? Yeah, I don't have any problem with that.

Wow.

Donger
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Wow.

To which women and children are you referring?

Titty Meat
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Bill Self proves KU doesn't care about football.

dirk digler
01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Can't see why you would do it anywhere other than Arrowhead. (Unless of course your college/hs/sports team is named the Chiefs)

yep.

Mojo Jojo
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Chiefs fans ripped off the the Atlanta Braves...just like the Chop from the Braves and FSU...The "First Down" was a copy of KSU who did it long before the Chiefs...Chiefs fans need to come up with something original....

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
To which women and children are you referring?

Not going to debate with you we'll just pass it off as whut I learnt in the Missourah school

htismaqe
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I've never heard of that being done here. What game? Kickapoo (where they're actually the Chiefs, too)?

A long ass fucking time ago in a town called Kickapoo...

hvvjiE4AdUI

Pants
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Not going to debate with you we'll just pass it off as whut I learnt in the Missourah school

Americans do not negotiate with slavers, Nzoner.

:evil:

Donger
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM

You brought it up. I'm not familiar with any of the Free Staters killing women and children.

CoMoChief
01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

tantrum? far from it....

Not to beat a dead horse....but MU wanted to leave the conference, and I'll leave it at that. KU doesn't have the obligation in keeping the rivalry going when it's MU who wants to leave the conference. KU fans will look at this as not having the time of day for MU and they can move onto the SEC and get raped by KY, MU fans look at this like KU is scared to play MU. But really keeping the rivalry does nothing more than keep the KC area fans happy.

Los Pollos Hermanos
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
You brought it up. I'm not familiar with any of the Free Staters killing women and children.

They killed Josey Wale's wife and son. That's History 101, buddy. Everyone knows that.

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

BTW,I realize that everyone saw it differently,just sharing my views.

Maybe this will help (http://www.millersparanormalresearch.com/Pages/Missouri_And_The_Civil_War.htm)

About a decade before the first shots were fired in the Civil War, a border war was in process between Missouri and Kansas. Missouri was the only state north of the Mason-Dixon line that was pro-slavery. When Kansas was in the process of joining the Union, there was much dissention over becoming a pro-slavery or anti-slavery state. The Missourians would often cross the Kansas border and vote in the elections in an attempt to sway a pro-slavery vote and to elect the politicians that supported slavery. This caused much turmoil between the two states and the United States government sent troops to occupy the area. These troops were from Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.

When President Lincoln sent in the Federal Occupational troops, these men took full advantage of their position and soon began traumatizing much of Western and West Central Missouri by committing unspeakable crimes. Innocent families became their victims, including women, children and the elderly. These troops became known as the Red Legs and were under the command of General Blunt and Kansas Senator Jim Lane. They were joined by Jayhawkers, who were Kansan free-state guerilla fighters opposed to Missouri during the Border War.

When the Civil War broke out, Missouri was the home of many northern and southern natives and the divided loyalties of the state were evidenced by the fact that 100,000 men enlisted in the Federal army and 50,000 joined the rebel forces. This pitted neighbor against neighbor and no one knew whom they could trust. Most Missourians were hard working and honest people who did not own slaves or condone slavery. They were simple people trying to make a simple living as farmers, carpenters, cattlemen, etc. They did not wish to get involved in the conflict of the northern and southern states and chose to remain neutral. This non-committal stance added to the distrust throughout the state.

With the official declaration of the Civil War, the Red Legs and Jayhawkers increased their presence in Missouri and their crimes became more rampart. The murdering of innocent people, pillaging of property and raping of women and children continued on a broader scale, all in the name of the Federal Government. Attempts by Missourians to get the government to control their troops went unheeded. They were forced to take matters into their own hands to protect their homes and families. Some of these people became know as Partisans and secretly pledged their loyalty to the Confederacy but retained their civilian status. They aided the Confederacy in supplying them with food, shelter, clothing and revealing troop movements, etc. This was not done with the intent to support the southern cause but in retaliation against the crimes that had been committed against them by the Federals.

The Missouri Partisan Rangers was a group of men who formed their own army to fight the Union troops. These men supported the Confederacy because they shared the same enemy but not necessarily the same cause. Most of the Missouri Partisan Rangers were men who had suffered the loss of family members, property or had some kind of injustice inflicted upon on them by the Federal troops and they vowed revenge against them. Often times, they would assist in a raid and return to their homes that same evening to tend to their chores and families.

Some notable Missouri Partisan Rangers who later became known as "guerillas" were William Quantrill, Frank James, Cole Younger, and William "Bloody Bill" Anderson. They were distinguished as "guerillas" because of their style of warfare. These men were masters of war and introduced new tactics of warfare, such as disguising themselves as Federals or women to sneak into enemy territory to gain information or to launch a surprise attack. They continually overcame great odds by defeating Union troops that outnumbered them more than 2-1. The capture of these guerilla bands became a focal point for the Union army. In an attempt to draw out the guerillas the Federals arrested their female relatives and children, imprisoning them as spies. Some of these family members were taken to a makeshift prison located in a building in Kansas City. Mysteriously, this building collapsed killing 4 women. This senseless killing infuriated the guerillas and the Rangers. They viewed using the women and children as pawns a cowardly act and in retaliation, they attacked the town of Lawrence, Kansas in August of 1863. This raid was modeled after the Federal attack on Osceola, Missouri in 1861. This was a very bloody raid, many were killed and the town was burned to the ground.

Because of the attack on Lawrence and in an effort to cut the guerillas and the Rangers off from their supporters, General Thomas Ewing issued his infamous Order #11. This order forced all residents in Cass and Bates counties and parts of Vernon and Jackson counties to vacate their homes within fifteen days. (See article on Order #11). All grain, hay and food supplies were confiscated by Union troops and all homes and outbuildings were burned to the ground. These counties became known as "The Burnt District." Basically, this order was a "license to kill" for the Union army and they ravished these counties, burning everything in site and killing the men and young boys whom they suspected to be Southern Sympathizers. Woman and children were often left with nothing but the clothing on their backs and had to travel great distances to find a safe haven. Many died of starvation and exposure while in route. This action was unique during the Civil War in that it was specifically directed against a civilian population. It affected more than 20,000 individuals. It would be years before many of these families would be able to return home. When they did return home, they returned to burnt out structures and desolate land.

It is a little known fact that out of the 6,600 battles fought during the Civil War, 1,100 of those battles were fought in Missouri. The Confederate army suffered its worst defeat in Missouri during the Battle of Westport in October of 1864 and it was after this battle that the Union finally gained control of the state.

After the war, it was very difficult for the Confederates, the Missouri Partisan Rangers and the guerillas to resume a normal life. Some were wanted men and most were stripped of their property and a means to earn a living. Their families were scattered across the country. Some turned to outlawry while others struggled through prison terms and pardons.

The events of the Civil War in Missouri are often overlooked in history books, perhaps because of the numerous sins committed there by the Union army. Even today, many local residents do not know the history behind the very land they live upon and the events that took place in their county. The mention of Quantrill, "Bloody Bill" and Order #11 brings little recognition. Although we cannot condone their actions, we can certainly sympathize with the reasons behind them. To learn more about some of the events and who played an important role in Missouri’s Civil War, read the following articles:

General Order #11

The Border War (Charles Jennison, Jim Lane, James Montgomery)

William T "Bloody Bill" Anderson (Guerilla leader)

William Clarke Quantrill (Guerilla leader)

The Younger Family (Cole, Jim, Bob & John: Guerillas & Outlaws)

The James Family (Frank and Jesse: Guerillas & Outlaws)

Donger
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
With the official declaration of the Civil War, the Red Legs and Jayhawkers increased their presence in Missouri and their crimes became more rampart. The murdering of innocent people, pillaging of property and raping of women and children continued on a broader scale, all in the name of the Federal Government. Attempts by Missourians to get the government to control their troops went unheeded. They were forced to take matters into their own hands to protect their homes and families. Some of these people became know as Partisans and secretly pledged their loyalty to the Confederacy but retained their civilian status. They aided the Confederacy in supplying them with food, shelter, clothing and revealing troop movements, etc. This was not done with the intent to support the southern cause but in retaliation against the crimes that had been committed against them by the Federals.

LMAO

alnorth
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM

You have got to be kidding me. KU games are a great experience, but this is the only flaw, and its a very big, dark, ugly flaw.

"Home of the Chiefs" at KU games is completely and utterly retarded. Most KU fans hate it, and it keeps surviving due to a vocal minority of idiotic students.

In my opinion, Self needs to be even more outspoken on this issue, there is no good reason at all why they should be yelling this in a KU game during the national anthem.

durtyrute
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Who fucking cares? It takes what, like 10 seconds and then it's done?

alnorth
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM

People fighting to stop the spread of slavery into Kansas? Yeah, I don't think many people are going to be ashamed of that one.

Stewie
01-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Maybe this will help (http://www.millersparanormalresearch.com/Pages/Missouri_And_The_Civil_War.htm)

About a decade before the first shots were fired in the Civil War, a border war was in process between Missouri and Kansas. Missouri was the only state north of the Mason-Dixon line that was pro-slavery. When Kansas was in the process of joining the Union, there was much dissention over becoming a pro-slavery or anti-slavery state. The Missourians would often cross the Kansas border and vote in the elections in an attempt to sway a pro-slavery vote and to elect the politicians that supported slavery. This caused much turmoil between the two states and the United States government sent troops to occupy the area. These troops were from Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.

When President Lincoln sent in the Federal Occupational troops, these men took full advantage of their position and soon began traumatizing much of Western and West Central Missouri by committing unspeakable crimes. Innocent families became their victims, including women, children and the elderly. These troops became known as the Red Legs and were under the command of General Blunt and Kansas Senator Jim Lane. They were joined by Jayhawkers, who were Kansan free-state guerilla fighters opposed to Missouri during the Border War.

When the Civil War broke out, Missouri was the home of many northern and southern natives and the divided loyalties of the state were evidenced by the fact that 100,000 men enlisted in the Federal army and 50,000 joined the rebel forces. This pitted neighbor against neighbor and no one knew whom they could trust. Most Missourians were hard working and honest people who did not own slaves or condone slavery. They were simple people trying to make a simple living as farmers, carpenters, cattlemen, etc. They did not wish to get involved in the conflict of the northern and southern states and chose to remain neutral. This non-committal stance added to the distrust throughout the state.

The Missouri Partisan Rangers was a group of men who formed their own army to fight the Union troops. These men supported the Confederacy because they shared the same enemy but not necessarily the same cause. Most of the Missouri Partisan Rangers were men who had suffered the loss of family members, property or had some kind of injustice inflicted upon on them by the Federal troops and they vowed revenge against them. Often times, they would assist in a raid and return to their homes that same evening to tend to their chores and families.

Some notable Missouri Partisan Rangers who later became known as "guerillas" were William Quantrill, Frank James, Cole Younger, and William "Bloody Bill" Anderson. They were distinguished as "guerillas" because of their style of warfare. These men were masters of war and introduced new tactics of warfare, such as disguising themselves as Federals or women to sneak into enemy territory to gain information or to launch a surprise attack. They continually overcame great odds by defeating Union troops that outnumbered them more than 2-1. The capture of these guerilla bands became a focal point for the Union army. In an attempt to draw out the guerillas the Federals arrested their female relatives and children, imprisoning them as spies. Some of these family members were taken to a makeshift prison located in a building in Kansas City. Mysteriously, this building collapsed killing 4 women. This senseless killing infuriated the guerillas and the Rangers. They viewed using the women and children as pawns a cowardly act and in retaliation, they attacked the town of Lawrence, Kansas in August of 1863. This raid was modeled after the Federal attack on Osceola, Missouri in 1861. This was a very bloody raid, many were killed and the town was burned to the ground.

Because of the attack on Lawrence and in an effort to cut the guerillas and the Rangers off from their supporters, General Thomas Ewing issued his infamous Order #11. This order forced all residents in Cass and Bates counties and parts of Vernon and Jackson counties to vacate their homes within fifteen days. (See article on Order #11). All grain, hay and food supplies were confiscated by Union troops and all homes and outbuildings were burned to the ground. These counties became known as "The Burnt District." Basically, this order was a "license to kill" for the Union army and they ravished these counties, burning everything in site and killing the men and young boys whom they suspected to be Southern Sympathizers. Woman and children were often left with nothing but the clothing on their backs and had to travel great distances to find a safe haven. Many died of starvation and exposure while in route. This action was unique during the Civil War in that it was specifically directed against a civilian population. It affected more than 20,000 individuals. It would be years before many of these families would be able to return home. When they did return home, they returned to burnt out structures and desolate land.

It is a little known fact that out of the 6,600 battles fought during the Civil War, 1,100 of those battles were fought in Missouri. The Confederate army suffered its worst defeat in Missouri during the Battle of Westport in October of 1864 and it was after this battle that the Union finally gained control of the state.

After the war, it was very difficult for the Confederates, the Missouri Partisan Rangers and the guerillas to resume a normal life. Some were wanted men and most were stripped of their property and a means to earn a living. Their families were scattered across the country. Some turned to outlawry while others struggled through prison terms and pardons.

The events of the Civil War in Missouri are often overlooked in history books, perhaps because of the numerous sins committed there by the Union army. Even today, many local residents do not know the history behind the very land they live upon and the events that took place in their county. The mention of Quantrill, "Bloody Bill" and Order #11 brings little recognition. Although we cannot condone their actions, we can certainly sympathize with the reasons behind them. To learn more about some of the events and who played an important role in Missouri’s Civil War, read the following articles:

General Order #11

The Border War (Charles Jennison, Jim Lane, James Montgomery)

William T "Bloody Bill" Anderson (Guerilla leader)

William Clarke Quantrill (Guerilla leader)

The Younger Family (Cole, Jim, Bob & John: Guerillas & Outlaws)

The James Family (Frank and Jesse: Guerillas & Outlaws)

Where the hell did you get this? "I Play the Victim When I Can!" book?

Referencing those peaceful Ruffians:

Often times, they would assist in a raid and return to their homes that same evening to tend to their chores and families.

Awww... Chores! How idyllic!

Actually, at the time this was going on most of western Missouri had already been left for nothing. Most of the western Missouri wealth had moved to Kansas and things that happened after were eye for an eye revenge.

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Damn,the fishing is good today LMAO

Bearcat
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I like eggs.

Demonpenz
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
The reason people do it is it's fun, it's tradition, and national anthem sucks to stand through.

DeezNutz
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Not a huge fan of it at the Chiefs games. Definitely not appropriate anywhere else.

Donger
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Bastard.

LMAO

Stewie
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Nice comeback Potsy. I know copy/paste is a huge accomplishment even if you don't understand the context.

stevieray
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
....it's nothing short of amazing how thin skinned we've become and how we are just itching to have our poor sensibilities traumatized.

alnorth
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM

(wall of text)

To quote Jon Stewart: "If I had to refute or disassociate myself from every offensive statement some jackass from my audience shouted out, I'd never get my show on the air."

I'm sure if we researched long enough we'd find all kinds of terrible atrocities committed by a few of our soldiers in Europe during WWII. We don't say "I support what the US did in world war 2.... except for this guy who did this thing, and this troop of guys in this village who did this other thing I definitely don't support that, and these two guys who did this thing to this german citizen, I don't agree with that, and this other group of guys who were alleged to have done this other terrible thing, it was never proven, but if they did do that, then I don't agree with what they did either, and this other guy (etc), but other than those specific examples, I agree with what the US army did in that war"

Instead we say "I support what the US did in world war 2", and its just understood that you aren't a psychopathic monster who agrees with every single thing everyone did.

In general, you aren't going to find many people condemn those who, broadly speaking, fought against slavery. Its not like they were formed just for the fun of killing and looting, and this was just some convenient cover story.

stevieray
01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Nice comeback Potsy. I know copy/paste is a huge accomplishment even if you don't understand the context.
potsie, dipshit....:D

Stewie
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Potsie, dipshit... :D ... although I didn't read it, just heard the name.

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Potsie, dipshit... :D ... although I didn't read it, just heard the name.

:jester:

Stewie
01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
:jester:

Huh?

luv
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Lighthouse Academy Vs Community Christain

Was standing on the home side as we came in during the national anthem... And of course someone yells Chiefs...

I have heard it in MO, KS and OK... There is always some toolbox that thinks its cool...

Which one of those is in Springfield? Never heard of either one. Well, Lighthouse sounds vaguely familiar. Did one of them use to be New Covenant Academy?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-20-2012, 01:43 PM

That's super gay by Self. Who cares? Even after a gazillion Chiefs games I've attended, Home of the Chiefs still gives me goosebumps every time. Don't stop it.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Heh. That article is so skewed even I can't ignore it.

Nobody on either side raped/murdered women and children. Even during the Lawrence raid, there were zero female casualties. The only children killed were male teenagers who fell into the "old enough to carry a gun" category.

Before Quantrill rode with the partisans, he lived in Lawrence and participated in raids into Missouri.

The "Cause of Slavery," whether for or against, was generally just an excuse to kill and steal. Sure, there were a few true believers here and there, but not all that many.

The building that collapsed killing the women in Kansas City collapsed because it was old and shitty. Nothing mysterious about it. Nobody would have deliberately sabotaged the building to kill female prisoners.

While the guerillas were indeed fierce, skilled fighters, one of the main reasons they enjoyed so much success, especially early in the war, was because the Kansas/Missouri region was considered a backwater by the Union. The best officers, troops and equipment went east - Union forces in Missouri got morons and leftovers.

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Heh. That article is so skewed even I can't ignore it.

Nobody on either side raped/murdered women and children. Even during the Lawrence raid, there were zero female casualties. The only children killed were male teenagers who fell into the "old enough to carry a gun" category.

Before Quantrill rode with the partisans, he lived in Lawrence and participated in raids into Missouri.

The "Cause of Slavery," whether for or against, was generally just an excuse to kill and steal. Sure, there were a few true believers here and there, but not all that many.

The building that collapsed killing the women in Kansas City collapsed because it was old and shitty. Nothing mysterious about it. Nobody would have deliberately sabotaged the building to kill female prisoners.

While the guerillas were indeed fierce, skilled fighters, one of the main reasons they enjoyed so much success, especially early in the war, was because the Kansas/Missouri region was considered a backwater by the Union. The best officers, troops and equipment went east - Union forces in Missouri got morons and leftovers.

Tim,it was a fishing trip :toast:

Pants
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Do you guy still wish you could own slaves?

FUCK YOU!

QuikSsurfer
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
A long ass fucking time ago in a town called Kickapoo...

hvvjiE4AdUI

That was a great HBO series..

Frazod
01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Tim,it was a fishing trip :toast:

Yeah, I know. But DAMN that was just riddled with bullshit.

Stewie cracks me up. He seems normal 99% of the time. Get him talking about Missouri/Kansas history and he turns into a 13-year-old girl.

ReynardMuldrake
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Your source for this bit of historical information is millersparanormalresearch.com?

Our Foundation was established in March of 2001

Our goal and mission at that time was to investigate alleged haunted locations and to provide "scientific evidence" of life after death. We feel that on personal levels, we have attained those goals.

After years of investigating and experiencing paranormal phenomena, we believe we have a much deeper understanding of why some spirits choose to remain earthbound. Collecting "scientific evidence" may help bring closure for the living, but it does not provide closure for those who remain earthbound. We feel that if we provide assistance in helping those lost spirits make their crossing, then we consider that to be a successful investigation.

MPR utilizes both the "scientific" and "psychic" approach during our investigations. We believe this combination helps us to provide both documented evidence and an explanation to the paranormal activity.

Thank you for visiting our web site and we hope you find it enjoyable and informative.

Respectively,

Miller's Paranormal Research team members!

Buck
01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
That was a great HBO series..

That's from Pick of Destiny.

Dartgod
01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm listening to the fucking song!

http://www.brixpicks.com/uploads/media/2009/07_13-07_19/hansonbros.jpg

Nzoner
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Your source for this bit of historical information is millersparanormalresearch.com?

Please read the whole thread,thank you and good day.

Stewie
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Stewie cracks me up. He seems normal 99% of the time. Get him talking about Missouri/Kansas history and he turns into a 13-year-old girl.

The 1% of abnormality is that I was born in Missouri. Go figure! :p

BourbonMan
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm listening to the ****ing song!

http://www.brixpicks.com/uploads/media/2009/07_13-07_19/hansonbros.jpg

F...ing love that movie!!!

QuikSsurfer
01-20-2012, 02:27 PM
That's from Pick of Destiny.

Tenacious D was still a great tv series... The Pick of Destiny sucked (and I don't remember that scene).

Mr. Plow
01-20-2012, 02:34 PM

FUCK YOU!

And they just keep on biting that hook. LMAO

Saulbadguy
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM

FUCK YOU!

Massa Seff only wishes it were legal.

DonkyPuncher
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Oh yea not only did they murder them they also raped them, true story but no Jayhawk's fan will ever admit that it happened so it's an endless argument

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM

You guys just get mad and pout when he slaps you like a little girl...

Guess its all the same...

ROYC75
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM

LMAO Sentimental MU fans.......

Why, MU left the party!

I agree with him. The Home of Chiefs sure as **** isn't Lawrence.

It doesn't, should be in Arrowhead.

Yep, it's an MU/KU thing .

Bambi
01-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Nothing wrong with destroying slavery and the evil of the American South.

Thank God we won.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Nothing wrong with destroying slavery and the evil of the American South.

Thank God we won.

I would point out that YOU didn't win anything, sweetheart.

Reaper16
01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
The Chiefs bring both sides of the border together. When people in Lawrence or Columbia say "Home of the Chiefs" it is a true example of the mantra "United We Stand" in action.

Donger
01-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I would point out that YOU didn't win anything, sweetheart.

Nor did the rednecks who proudly display their Confederate flags lose anything, honey.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Nor did the rednecks who proudly display their Confederate flags lose anything, honey.

And you won't find any on anything I own, either, sweetcheeks.

Donger
01-20-2012, 03:41 PM
And you won't find any on anything I own, either, sweetcheeks.

Why is that? I've heard that it really wasn't/isn't a symbol of the side of the Civil War who wanted to continue to keep humans in slavery, but rather just a symbol of the South.

You don't agree with them?

Frazod
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Why is that? I've heard that it really wasn't/isn't a symbol of the side of the Civil War who wanted to continue to keep humans in slavery, but rather just a symbol of the South.

You don't agree with them?

Well, slavery existed in America under the American flag for 86 years.

It existed under the Confederate flag for four years.

Donger
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Well, slavery existed in America under the American flag for 86 years.

It existed under the Confederate flag for four years.

Yes, it did, because the Southern states wanted it and would never have ratified the Constitution had it been abolished in that document.

Bambi
01-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, it did, because the Southern states wanted it and would never have ratified the Constitution had it been abolished in that document.

Isn't it funny when people start to argue justifying slavery on the internet?

kcxiv
01-20-2012, 03:47 PM
For me its not disrespectful to the national anthem, its just respect for the Chiefs, but people can spin it anyway they want.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM

At the time the Constitution was ratified, slavery was still legal in some northern states, too.

Donger

If you are suggesting that is what frazod is doing, I don't see it.

But, to answer your question, no. It isn't funny.

Bambi
For me its not disrespectful to the national anthem, its just respect for the Chiefs, but people can spin it anyway they want.

I agree.

People are way too wrapped up in all the patriotic stuff. Enough is enough, have some fun.

Obama got Osama.

Spott
01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I haven't been to a Royals game since the year of the strike. Do they do it there, too?

Frazod
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

What's really funny is when a dumbass attempts to butt into an intelligent conversation.

Donger
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
At the time the Constitution was ratified, slavery was still legal in some northern states, too.

Just New York and Jersey, right? Both of which made it illegal in 1800 or so?

Bambi
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
If you are suggesting that is what frazod is doing, I don't see it.

But, to answer your question, no. It isn't funny.

Frazod was definitely hinting that slavery was an "American" issue for the majority of its existence and not centralized in the southern region of America.

It's argumentative sure.

Donger
01-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Frazod was definitely hinting that slavery was an "American" issue for the majority of its existence and not centralized in the southern region of America.

It's argumentative sure.

It was, and that isn't "justifying slavery."

kcxiv
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I agree.

People are way too wrapped up in all the patriotic stuff. Enough is enough, have some fun.

Obama got Osama.

Yep, its like no, US Americans just say home of the Chiefs, just to piss on America, yeah, thats why they do it. Oooh get over that shit. Hell, im a beleiver in the man above and ill even say god/ jesus jokes but its not meant to disrespect.

People to PC'ed up these days.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Just New York and Jersey, right? Both of which made it illegal in 1800 or so?

Definitely New York, not sure about the others, although I'm pretty sure it was more than just those two. I'd actually have to do a little reseach to find exact dates.

Certainly the practice had fallen out of favor and was on the way out in the Northern states in the early 1800s. But it was a slow process that occurred over the course of the late 1700s. There were slaves in Boston at one point, although I'm sure it's not something they put in brochures.

Donger
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Definitely New York, not sure about the others, although I'm pretty sure it was more than just those two. I'd actually have to do a little reseach to find exact dates.

Certainly the practice had fallen out of favor and was on the way out in the Northern states in the early 1800s. But it was a slow process that occurred over the course of the late 1700s. There were slaves in Boston at one point, although I'm sure it's not something they put in brochures.

Yes, and the Southern states continued the practice for another 60 years. And, arguably, seceded and fought a war over it.

So, I'm not really sure that your apparent argument holds much water.

Frazod
01-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes, and the Southern states continued the practice for another 60 years. And, arguably, seceded and fought a war over it.

So, I'm not really sure that your apparent argument holds much water.

I wasn't really arguing about anything. Just stating facts that some of our more ignorant members aren't aware of.

Donger
01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I wasn't really arguing about anything. Just stating facts that some of our more ignorant members aren't aware of.

Who the heck didn't know that slavery existed for many years under the Stars and Stripes?

Frazod
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Who the heck didn't know that slavery existed for many years under the Stars and Stripes?

How should I know? There are some serious idiots that post on this board. I'm pretty sure I've convinced BackwardsMasking that Patton was killed when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Slavery was viewed as an economic necessity by the ruling elite in the South. It wasn't viewed in that way by the ruling elite in the North. Had Boston been surrounded by vast stretches of fertile land which required cultivation by slave labor instead of water, I suspect the first hotbed of abolitionism would have popped up elsewhere.

Bump
01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
should only be done at Arrowhead, anybody else is just copying. (ok we are probably copying someone too, but I don't care).

And if any faggot wants to say it's disrespectful to the anthem, fuck off. The anthem means nothing now, corruption won and any respect this country once had is gone.

Shogun
01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
This is news?

lol jesus fuck

arrwheader
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
It's because Bill Self is a closet raiders fan and a Tebow worshiper

RealSNR
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
If you don't like it, then don't listen to it, Self. /ChiefsPlanet geniouses

Reerun_KC
01-20-2012, 05:13 PM
This thread brought out the CP window lickers.

Extra Point
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM

It's stupid at a Chiefs event. Last Jan, standing next to an Iraq Vet, before the playoff, he shook his head. It's the national anthem, not something to be twisted by an American Idol, or a mass of dorks.

I had my fun with it, over time. It's just played out, beyond any value.

WhiteWhale
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
It's stupid at a Chiefs event. Last Jan, standing next to an Iraq Vet, before the playoff, he shook his head. It's the national anthem, not something to be twisted by an American Idol, or a mass of dorks.

I had my fun with it, over time. It's just played out, beyond any value.

At a game, I stood next to a Korean war vet who shouted it as loud as he could and then cheered.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Twas much fun hearing it at the Homer Dome in St. Louis when the scourge of Chiefs fans took it over. You could just see the butthurt oozing out of the "home faithful." LMAO

XXXshogunXXX
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I dont see a problem with it, and im not a Chiefs fan

Caseyguyrr
01-20-2012, 06:39 PM
fuck bill self

bevischief
01-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Fuck him asshole...

Frazod
01-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Who is this Bill Self person?

Psyko Tek
01-20-2012, 07:46 PM
fuck him

KC_Connection
01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
He's right. It makes no sense to say it at AFH.

Pablo
01-21-2012, 09:12 AM

The best basketball coach in the Big 12.

Imon Yourside
01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
The best basketball coach in the Big 12.

X a gazillion.

Who ya got peeps? Scott Drew? Bwahahahaa....

digger
01-21-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.kansan.com/news/2011/feb/20/and-home-chiefs/?sports

"This is what changed my mind and why I think the Chiefs’ chant is so special. They aren’t trying to devalue the national anthem; these red-faced Kansas and Missouri-bred citizens are trying to show their love for their team. America is not just the home of apple pie and Snooki’s poof, it is the home to one of the proudest and most historical franchises in the NFL. And if you’ve ever stepped into Arrowhead stadium on game day you’ll have to try really hard not to get carried away and add your voice to the mass of Chiefs chanters."

King_Chief_Fan
01-21-2012, 04:39 PM

some jack ass that moved from Illinois to Kansas

chiefqueen
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
What I'm wondering is how Bill Self did not even know what they were saying. He's been at KU almost 9 years now, surely he's attended at least 1 Chiefs game during that time.