PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Emery to Bears as next GM?

Marco Polo
01-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry if repost, hopefully this wouldn't hurt our scouting for the draft.

Two league sources tell the Chicago Sun Times that Chiefs college scouting director Phil Emery is in the "driver's seat" to replace Jerry Angelo as the Bears' next general manager.

Emery worked in the Falcons' front office when Atlanta drafted Michael Vick, and has been with Scott Pioli in Kansas City for the last three seasons. A 31-year football veteran, Emery's background is almost strictly in college scouting.

Okie_Apparition
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Hey Forte
pick up the gum wrapper

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
The Patriot Way is about to infect another organization.

Brock
01-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Where's Cutler going this time?

Caseyguyrr
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
havent even heard his name before this point, so i could care less

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
He's 31 fucking years old.

He must be a fucking genius if he's going to be an NFL GM at this point.

That has to be some kind of record for youth at the GM position.

stonedstooge
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Isn't that an unusual jump from head of scouting to GM?

Titty Meat
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Fire Pioli and hire this guy.

KC Hawks
01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
He's 31 ****ing years old.

He must be a ****ing genius if he's going to be an NFL GM at this point.

That has to be some kind of record for youth at the GM position.

Please re-read.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 06:47 PM
OK, so he's not 31.

But my god, would you trust your football team to THIS FACE?

http://prod.static.chiefs.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/person-cards/staff/phil_emery.jpg

Okie_Apparition
01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
If Pioli can fork
it's a good sign

saphojunkie
01-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I can't help reading the title of this thread in a Chinese accent, and the guy's name is "Emily."

Epic Fail 007
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
No wonder we been drafting bad with this grandpa advising the talent.I now you all want to blame pioli.But scouts point the talent out.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
No wonder we been drafting bad with this grandpa advising the talent.I now you all want to blame pioli.But scouts point the talent out.

Idiot.

I FIRMLY believe that the outstanding quality of our last two drafts has been because of Emery and Haleys inputs and background.

We lose Emery, look forward to subpar drafts in coming years.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Now Emery is the draft guru, not Pioli?

Who do we blame for McCluster?

Brock
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Idiot.

I FIRMLY believe that the outstanding quality of our last two drafts has been because of Emery and Haleys inputs and background.

LMAO

BossChief
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Now Emery is the draft guru, not Pioli?That's always been the case. A combination of Haley and Emery.

Look at the quality of the 2009 class as opposed to the 10/11 classes.

It's not even close.

LMAO

That smiley says one of two things:

You think our last two drafts have stunk (which would be a fools opinion, I don't think that's the case here)

You think Piolis ability to draft effectively had more to do with his own abilities rather than the guys that he made his decisions based on their information.

Even if you guys hated Haley, Let's not forget that Haley grew up around scouts that built dynasties through effective drafting. I absolutely think he had a huge part to do with the last two really good drafts and that his input on prospects will be sorely missed.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 07:49 PM
It would be pretty comical if Emery left and we had another 2009esque class.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Tragic not comical.

With Pioli we had a draft full of "who?" and "WTF?"

With Haley/Emery in house we had two "balla ass GM" drafts.

I hope to god we don't go back to the former.

Three7s
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Now Emery is the draft guru, not Pioli?

Who do we blame for McCluster?
Speaking of McCluster, how long are you forced to wear that sig?

Hammock Parties
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Whole offseason.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM

At least unlike SlowMo, he honored the bet. He's still posting as a Bronco fan just putting this :cuss: after everything.

-King-
01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Tragic not comical.

What? Emery and Haley were here during the 2009 draft too.

Brock
01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Tragic not comical.

Haley wasn't here in 2009? Why are you just making shit up?

BossChief
01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Emery was hired after the draft.

Haley was hired in mid February due to the Superbowl run.

I expect us to take a big step back in April if Emery leaves.

Brock
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Emery was hired after the draft.

Haley was hired in mid February due to the Superbowl run.

I expect us to take a big step back in April if Emery leaves.

darn, we've lost the talented personnel two headed monster of Haley and Emery.

I mean, really?

LMAO

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Who are the hidden gems that Emery found?

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Our UDFA's have been dogshit. Yeah, he hit on Eric Berry. A blind dog could have picked Eric Berry.

Houston was a no-brainer, Hudson was a standout.

Emery is no big loss.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Powe
Lewis
Succop
Houston
Asamoah
Belcher
Bailey
Moeaki

Stanzi

Shit, our drafts after the first two rounds have been as good as ANY TEAM IN FOOTBALL the last two years and our early picks have been solid players or emerging superstars. It's just too bad Thomas Jones did what he did prior to the season, Baldwin could be a guy with a lot of buzz going forward.

Shit, people still hate on Dexter even after he had 850 yards from scrimmage IN HIS SECOND YEAR. The way he came alive once we had a real quarterback should give his future here real promise.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 08:50 PM
The 2011 draft of ours was better than the 2008 class if you take out the Jared Allen factor.

If Stanzi and Powe hit, it could be one of the best classes we have EVER had...though it will NEVER be the best because of that HOF class in the 60s.

Brock
01-20-2012, 08:53 PM
somebody is taking some mind altering substances.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Brock, you think our last two drafts have been average or below average?

If so, ROFL.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
If Emery goes to Chicago, their drafts will improve almost immediately.

Epic Fail 007
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Tragic not comical.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,Lol who are these great players Haley/Emery drafted?Besides Berry and Houston nodody

O.city
01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah Boss, we didn't get 8 all pros from each draft so they are nobodies.

RealSNR
01-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Who are the great players from the 2011 draft besides Houston?

Well, we probably don't know them very well yet because they're FUCKING ROOKIES.

Christ, I fucking hate eric.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Powe
Lewis
Succop
Houston
Asamoah
Belcher
Bailey
Moeaki

Stanzi

Shit, our drafts after the first two rounds have been as good as ANY TEAM IN FOOTBALL the last two years and our early picks have been solid players or emerging superstars. It's just too bad Thomas Jones did what he did prior to the season, Baldwin could be a guy with a lot of buzz going forward.

Shit, people still hate on Dexter even after he had 850 yards from scrimmage IN HIS SECOND YEAR. The way he came alive once we had a real quarterback should give his future here real promise.

If you want to keep praising Emery, stop putting guys in there that were drafted in 2009.

No one will notice if Phil Emery leaves.

O.city
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Bad Guy, heard anything from Arrowhead about the report or the OC search?

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Bad Guy, heard anything from Arrowhead about the report or the OC search?

Nope. Haven't heard anything since last weekend.

I think the Daboll stuff is fluff. The Chiefs could have interviewed him at any time by simply asking the Dolphins.

He might be a candidate as a WR coach, but I can't see him as an OC here.

O.city
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
What did you hear last weekend? Can't remember.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
That the hire was 95% Romeo's. Pioli isn't influencing it at all.

Guys I heard they are interested in:

Clements (He's not interviewing for OC jobs until the Bucs gig is decided).
Chryst
Lombardi was a name being mentioned, but I don't think it's accurate.

The last name I kept getting told last weekend to keep an eye on was Brian Ferentz.

I don't buy Daboll. I think the next OC is def. on a team that's still playing, but that's just my opinion.

Again, take all of this with a grain of salt.

O.city
01-20-2012, 10:03 PM
It's cool Bad Guy.

It's just nice to get football info instead of some of the shit we get from the kc reporters.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Haleys inputs and background.

lol ... so Haley gets the credit for anything good and Pioli gets credit for every thing bad.

this place is so full of shit

Mr. Laz
01-20-2012, 10:10 PM
That the hire was 95% Romeo's. Pioli isn't influencing it at all. impossible ... evil Pioli forces his will on everything.

i imagine the guy you got the information from was just too scared to tell the truth because his phone was bugged.

RealSNR
01-20-2012, 10:10 PM
It's cool Bad Guy.

It's just nice to get football info instead of some of the shit we get from the kc reporters.
When has The Bad Guy's source ever leaked anything important like "Dwayne Bowe Looking For Big Season"?

BossChief
01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
If you want to keep praising Emery, stop putting guys in there that were drafted in 2009.

No one will notice if Phil Emery leaves.

I put Succop and Belcher in there for a reason.

Let me ask you a question...

Which do you think makes more sense?

1) Phil Emery scouts Jovan Belcher while working for Atlanta and knows quite a bit about him being Belcher is a 4-3 DE at Maine and after Phil signed in KC on April 30th (after the draft) that he spoke up about JB to Pioli as a guy they should bring in and Belcher is signed May a week and a half later (he was signed May 9th)

2) Pioli and his ONE SCOUT found Belcher at Maine (when Belcher was a DE for them) and though/knew enough about his abilities to be able to play 3-4 ilb that they offered him a UDFA contract.

I listed the third and later guys that were good talents that slipped in the draft and that the ONLY one Pioli got on his own, even with high picks every round in 09, was Succop.

If you guys think either of the last two drafts were anything short of extremely good, you need to do some research on other teams drafts and re-assess your expectations to include realistic ones.

xztop12
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
actually last years draft wasn't good because of who we drafted. It was how long we waited before we drafted them... By not jumping for Houston in the second, and waiting for Stanzi and Poe, it was like we knew exactly when other teams wanted to grab the guys we wanted.

(IE: top-secret stuff paying off)

Idiot.

Brock
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
lol ... so Haley gets the credit for anything good and Pioli gets credit for every thing bad.

Amazing, isn't it? Emery might be leaving (of course it's because of the bad atmosphere at Arrowhead, just like Haley), and suddenly he's the only reason the draft was working.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I put Succop and Belcher in there for a reason.

Let me ask you a question...

Which do you think makes more sense?

1) Phil Emery scouts Jovan Belcher while working for Atlanta and knows quite a bit about him being Belcher is a 4-3 DE at Maine and after Phil signed in KC on April 30th (after the draft) that he spoke up about JB to Pioli as a guy they should bring in and Belcher is signed May a week and a half later (he was signed May 9th)

2) Pioli and his ONE SCOUT found Belcher at Maine (when Belcher was a DE for them) and though/knew enough about his abilities to be able to play 3-4 ilb that they offered him a UDFA contract.

I listed the third and later guys that were good talents that slipped in the draft and that the ONLY one Pioli got on his own, even with high picks every round in 09, was Succop.

If you guys think either of the last two drafts were anything short of extremely good, you need to do some research on other teams drafts and re-assess your expectations to include realistic ones.

I never said they weren't good.

Phil Emery is the director of scouting. He's not the end all and be all of the scouting department. They have a lot of capable guys in that department now and it's not going to hell in a hand basket because he's leaving.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Amazing, isn't it? Emery might be leaving (of course it's because of the bad atmosphere at Arrowhead, just like Haley), and suddenly he's the only reason the draft was working.

Of course. Don't forget Haley gone too is going to ruin our drafts.

Brock
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I mean his dad was a great scout, undoubtedly he must be too. After all, he spent a couple of years keeping his dad's coffee warm with the Jets.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 10:26 PM

It's not that at all, laz.

Pioli gets the credit for making decisions with information given to him by the people he puts in place to gather that information.

That's why you hire a director of college scouting.

All I'm saying is that the people giving him said information (Phil Emery managing them) have obviously done a really good job of collecting the information that Pioli bases his decisions on and that losing that information will probably hurt us because with said information the results were damn good.

That fair?

crazycoffey
01-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Brock, you think our last two drafts have been average or below average?

If so, ROFL.

Who are the great players from the 2011 draft besides Houston?

Well, we probably don't know them very well yet because they're FUCKING ROOKIES.

Christ, I fucking hate eric.

come on guys, we haven't won a superbowl yet, so it's obvious we haven't drafted well lately....

BossChief
01-20-2012, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I mean his dad was a great scout, undoubtedly he must be too. After all, he spent a couple of years keeping his dad's coffee warm with the Jets.

So, neither of you think that losing the director of college scouting after two solid drafts is a big deal?

I'm not saying we don't have people in place that could step up and do as good a job, it's possible.

I am just saying that the draft is what this team thrived on IMO the last two years and that hopefully session be able to continue our string of quality drafts (sans 09)

Brock
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
So, neither of you think that losing the director of college scouting after two solid drafts is a big deal?

I'm not saying we don't have people in place that could step up and do as good a job, it's possible.

I am just saying that the draft is what this team thrived on IMO the last two years and that hopefully session be able to continue our string of quality drafts (sans 09)

No, I doubt it's going to have any effect at all.

I also, unlike you, don't think Haley ever EVER had anything to do with the drafts. Just thinking about that makes me LMAO

DeezNutz
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Haley's "accomplishments" in the war room? LMAO. Maybe if a few Perkins waitresses were serving.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Pioli and Haley worked together on almost every pick.

Haley was also at the senior bowl practices as well as the combine.

But you're right, he never had anything to do with the draft.

DeezNutz
01-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't think Pioli and Haley worked together on much of anything, which is exactly why the latter is looking for HS golf programs to run.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
According to Haleys interview after he got canned, the worked together in every pick but Pioli had the final say.

Said they argued about the Tyson Jackson pick.

I wonder who Haley wanted at the time?

DeezNutz
01-20-2012, 10:57 PM
According to Haleys interview after he got canned, the worked together in every pick but Pioli had the final say.

Said they argued about the Tyson Jackson pick.

I wonder who Haley wanted at the time?

Not sure. You could be right and Haley was in the loop and respected. But I have serious questions about how much The Gum Wrapper of the Decade trusts anyone other than his own genious.

stonedstooge
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Not sure. You could be right and Haley was in the loop and respected. But I have serious questions about how much The Gum Wrapper of the Decade trusts anyone other than his own genious.

Only involve someone else to the point that they can be used as a scapegoat later

DaWolf
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Phil Emery is the director of scouting. He's not the end all and be all of the scouting department. They have a lot of capable guys in that department now and it's not going to hell in a hand basket because he's leaving.

Yeah, that's what they really tried hard to do in terms of setting up the front office the last two years. Emery was an important initial hire from the Falcons because he had worked with Dimitrioff for a bit and picked up the Patriots draft grading system from him, so when he came over here he was able to transition seamlessly and help train the scouts here. One would hope that by now they would have that house in order so that if he does leave, they've got guys to pick up the slack. But at the end of the day it's Pioli's show...

chiefzilla1501
01-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Why bother fighting it.

People are still convinced that you can do an entire draft off of online scouting reports.

chiefzilla1501
01-20-2012, 11:21 PM

I also, unlike you, don't think Haley ever EVER had anything to do with the drafts. Just thinking about that makes me LMAO

Yeah, it's not going to have any effect at all. He only leads the entire scouting department.

chiefzilla1501
01-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Emery's job is to manage the logistics of the scouting department and to set the "playbooks" so his scouting department is all looking at the right kinds of things.

Anybody who thinks Emery's job isn't difficult has never worked in a business before. There are a gajillion smart "technical" businesspeople in the world today. A select amount of them have any clue how to manage anybody.

Emery has done a good job. We've had good drafts, and the scouting department is typically credited with great great late round picks. I hope we don't lost him.

The Bad Guy
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Emery's job is to manage the logistics of the scouting department and to set the "playbooks" so his scouting department is all looking at the right kinds of things.

Anybody who thinks Emery's job isn't difficult has never worked in a business before. There are a gajillion smart "technical" businesspeople in the world today. A select amount of them have any clue how to manage anybody.

Emery has done a good job. We've had good drafts, and the scouting department is typically credited with great great late round picks. I hope we don't lost him.

Jesus fucking christ.

What I'm saying is he's essentially the principal of the school. He crunches numbers, gives assignments, and manages the staff.

Losing him isn't the end of the world. Someone else will step into that role.

Where are all these great, great late round picks I keep reading about in this thread?

crazycoffey
01-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Thinking Haley had no hand in our drafts is like saying herm had nothing to do with drafts then too. Not giving either full credit, but come on man, they both had hands in the drafts they were a part of.

BossChief
01-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Jesus fucking christ.

What I'm saying is he's essentially the principal of the school. He crunches numbers, gives assignments, and manages the staff.

Where are all these great, great late round picks I keep reading about in this thread?

Yeah, he is easily replaceable but other teams want to hire him in a larger capacity.

How is that supposed to make sense?

Dave Lane
01-21-2012, 12:56 AM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,Lol who are these great players Haley/Emery drafted?Besides Berry and Houston nodody

JFC now I see why you are sporting all that Chiefs red.

Fritz88
01-21-2012, 04:46 AM
So for those that think Emery was a major force behind our recent two drafts, how would you reconcile the fact that Pioli is a control freak who imposes his will on his underlings with Emery and Haley getting to choose Pioli's team's draft picks?

Doesn't make sense.

Pioli is the person who probably drafted and scouted every player we drafted in his era.

It is preposterous to credit Haley with shit besides Breaston and Bowe. It is enough that he trusted Palko more than Stanzi.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 04:51 AM
So for those that think Emery was a major force behind our recent two drafts, how would you reconcile the fact that Pioli is a control freak who imposes his will on his underlings with Emery and Haley getting to choose Pioli's team's draft picks?

Doesn't make sense.

Pioli is the person who probably drafted and scouted every player we have.

It is preposterous to credit Haley with shit besides Breaston and Bowe. It is enough that he trusted Palko more than Stanzi.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jfc. It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are. It is enormously impossible to scout every player. In fact, because pioli seems to be so involved in so much, even non football activities, that gives him even less time.

And Haley absolutely deserves credit. He's the guy who developed a lot of these guys.

Fritz88
01-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Jfc. It doesn't matter how much of a control freak you are. It is enormously impossible to scout every player. In fact, because pioli seems to be so involved in so much, even non football activities, that gives him even less time.

And Haley absolutely deserves credit. He's the guy who developed a lot of these guys.

The moment I saw your name on the last replied by I knew we were due for some Haley jizz lovin' and nut huggin'.

Pioli has the final say on who we draft. He isn't going to scout every player and neither does Haley. Maybe Emery in a small capacity and I seriously doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Jesus ****ing christ.

Principal of the school? Are you kidding me?

Do you really think Thomas Dimitroff did nothing in New England? Because Emery is pretty much doing his job. Emery's doing it even MORESO because in New England, Pioli was purely a personnel guy whereas in Kansas City, he has to also handle coaches and, it appears, he micromanages a lot of the business side too. How much time do you think Pioli actually has to spend on scouting?

Emery is THE guy when it comes to scouting. He has to organize the scouting network, collect/digest/process a mountain of scouting information, and then give Pioli the important sound bytes. If anybody thinks Pioli has the time to read every single report from a scout, they're crazy. GMs put a ton of trust in their college scouting directors to get their evaluations right. Pioli may micromanage, but he's only human. Why do you think college scouting directors are constantly interviewed for GM positions? Because they are by a mile the most important guy in the organization below a GM.

And yes, Emery has done a remarkable job the past two seasons. He's been pretty solid in rounds 3-5.

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 05:24 AM
The moment I saw your name on the last replied by I knew we were due for some Haley jizz lovin' and nut huggin'.

Pioli has the final say on who we draft. He isn't going to scout every player and neither does Haley. Maybe Emery in a small capacity and I seriously doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device

When did I say Haley scouted players? I said his job is to take what he's given and develop the hell out of them. And you are seriously an idiot if you think Emery has a limited role in deciding who we draft. Pioli has to digest the information that Emery feeds to him. Pioli can't make an informed decision unless Emery does his job right.

Chiefaholic
01-21-2012, 05:41 AM

Only for people like you who look forward to being the board drama queen.

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah, he is easily replaceable but other teams want to hire him in a larger capacity.

How is that supposed to make sense?

My biggest concern by a mile is that we lose Emery and nobody qualified wants to take his job. After hearing about the culture Pioli's promoting in KC, who would really want to work there?

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Principal of the school? Are you kidding me?

Do you really think Thomas Dimitroff did nothing in New England? Because Emery is pretty much doing his job. Emery's doing it even MORESO because in New England, Pioli was purely a personnel guy whereas in Kansas City, he has to also handle coaches and, it appears, he micromanages a lot of the business side too. How much time do you think Pioli actually has to spend on scouting?

Emery is THE guy when it comes to scouting. He has to organize the scouting network, collect/digest/process a mountain of scouting information, and then give Pioli the important sound bytes. If anybody thinks Pioli has the time to read every single report from a scout, they're crazy. GMs put a ton of trust in their college scouting directors to get their evaluations right. Pioli may micromanage, but he's only human. Why do you think college scouting directors are constantly interviewed for GM positions? Because they are by a mile the most important guy in the organization below a GM.

And yes, Emery has done a remarkable job the past two seasons. He's been pretty solid in rounds 3-5.

So what I can gather is that you think principals of schools do nothing? It's the same principle. He organizes everything, analyzes numbers, communicates with staffs, checks productivity and then reports to his boss.

He has a network of scouts and the "Patriot way" has always been one one leaves they have his replacement ready in the front office/scouting/coaching.

This team is in bad shape, but it's not going to completely tank drafts if Phil Emery leaves, contrary to what you and Boss Chief want to keep preaching.

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 09:15 AM
My biggest concern by a mile is that we lose Emery and nobody qualified wants to take his job. After hearing about the culture Pioli's promoting in KC, who would really want to work there?

And no matter how big of an asshole Pioli is, there's going to be someone qualified that wants to have a high profile job in a front office. Pioli was an asshole before he got to KC and he was able to hire people.

If you think Baab's story is new info among NFL people, you are wrong.

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Doesn't make sense.

Pioli is the person who probably drafted and scouted every player we drafted in his era.

Posted via Mobile Device

Of course it doesn't make sense. They want to talk out both sides of their mouths. Pioli is a micromanager, but leaves everything to Emery?

It's Chiefzilla though. Common sense probably never paid a visit to his brain.

milkman
01-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Where's Cutler going this time?

Kansas City?

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 09:51 AM
So what I can gather is that you think principals of schools do nothing? It's the same principle. He organizes everything, analyzes numbers, communicates with staffs, checks productivity and then reports to his boss.

He has a network of scouts and the "Patriot way" has always been one one leaves they have his replacement ready in the front office/scouting/coaching.

This team is in bad shape, but it's not going to completely tank drafts if Phil Emery leaves, contrary to what you and Boss Chief want to keep preaching.

I'm not saying principals of schools do nothing. I'm saying that scouting directors do a shitload more than principals. They do a shitload more than most managers. Diminishing their job to just some organizational role where they deploy scouts and just monitor results is beyond laughable. They are the face of the scouting organization and they have to be very good scouts themselves. Emery's job is to absorb a MASSIVE amount of scouting information and he has to be the one that tells Pioli the guys to pay attention to.

By the way, the Patriots were amazing at drafting. Lost Thomas Dimitroff. Had a few really shitty drafts. Brought Nick Caserio in in 2008. All of a sudden, from 2009 on, they become great at drafting again. But Dimitroff didn't do anything in New England, which is why he doesn't know what he's doing in Atlanta. Because nothing he did in New England prepared him for the GM job. That's probably the reason why Emery is the favorite to be the GM. Because Dimitroff and Emery, from having done nothing for their teams, are for some weird reason qualified to starting running an organization.

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Spoken by someone who has no fucking clue what principals of schools do.

milkman
01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
JFC now I see why you are sporting all that Chiefs red.

Kinda slow on the uptake on this one, aren't you?

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Of course it doesn't make sense. They want to talk out both sides of their mouths. Pioli is a micromanager, but leaves everything to Emery?

It's Chiefzilla though. Common sense probably never paid a visit to his brain.

Yeah. I'm the one who lacks common sense. Which is why you're agreeing with the suggestion that Scott Pioli, a man busier than anyone I could ever imagine, has the time to individually scout thousands of players or has some kind of magic eyeball that allows him to know out thousands of players, these are the 50 I'm going to pay more attention to.

"Common sense": Pioli's job is to make the tough decisions about who to draft where. He also has to make decisions on how to run the organization, manage his coaches, work with pro personnel to know the talent that exists on other NFL rosters, etc.... He has a million and a half things to do. Pioli supposedly works unbelievably hard, but he's a human being. He can't possibly be a guru on scouting. Instead, he has to place a ton of trust in Emery to get him a manageable list of recruits and make sure that those recruits have very good scouting reports attached to them. Dwindling down that list from thousands to a select few Pioli can pay close attention to is really, really difficult work. You have to an outstanding eye for talent to do that. And coordinating your scouts to work on a very specific "playbook" so they know exactly what they're looking for, is hard work too.

By the way, this is the same argument I used to defend Pioli in NE against the dumbasses who said Pioli did nothing there. People credit Dimitroff and/or Bellichick. Both of those guys deserve credit, but from a personnel standpoint, the guy who deserves the most credit is Pioli. That's true here too. Pioli deserves the lion's share of credit, but he can't do it without Emery.

Brock
01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah, it's not going to have any effect at all. He only leads the entire scouting department.

Yeah, I'll bet there's no succession plan in place or anything. I'll bet Phil Emery, who you never heard of before this, is irreplaceable.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Why bother fighting it.

People are still convinced that you can do an entire draft off of online scouting reports.

...and "game film" off youtube ;)

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Spoken by someone who has no ****ing clue what principals of schools do.

No, I don't know what principals of schools in the detail that you do.

But I know enough to know that comparing the level of responsibility between the two positions is absolutely laughable. If anything, a Principal is more a GM than he is a scouting director.

Principals aren't teachers themselves. They have a million and a half other things to deal with. College Scouting Directors have to be scouting gurus.

Brock
01-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Thinking Haley had no hand in our drafts is like saying herm had nothing to do with drafts then too. Not giving either full credit, but come on man, they both had hands in the drafts they were a part of.

No, it's not really like that. We have a mountain of evidence that the coach in KC under Carl Peterson had a large hand in determining who they would draft. Just look at the different drafts under different coaches.

There is no evidence whatever that Pioli would listen to Haley's ideas to any degree. At all.

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'll bet there's no succession plan in place or anything. I'll bet Phil Emery, who you never heard of before this, is irreplaceable.

First of all, get a clue. I wrote about Phil Emery years ago and actually used that to defend Pioli, saying he was going to make the 2010 draft better. Secondly, the idea that Phil Emery is a guy nobody has ever heard of, yet is a lead candidate for one of the most coveted positions in football is beyond laughable.

Phil Emery is very good at what he does. Other teams obviously respect his work. And they obviously believe he played a large enough role in KC that they're willing to trust him with the keys to their organization. This talk about limiting what Emery does is beyond ridiculous. They probably have a succession plan in place. But acting like Emery will be easy to replace is ridiculous.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Can we just give them Cassel and Pioli, and we will keep Emery and take Cutler off their hands?

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
No, I don't know what principals of schools in the detail that you do.

But I know enough to know that comparing the level of responsibility between the two positions is absolutely laughable. If anything, a Principal is more a GM than he is a scouting director.

Principals aren't teachers themselves. They have a million and a half other things to deal with. College Scouting Directors have to be scouting gurus.

Level of responsibility? You're the one saying that Phil Emery essentially does everything. He oversees an entire scouting operation.

The principal is only responsible for 1,000 kids each day as well as about 100 staff members in a typical school.

Yeah, that level of responsibility pales in comparison to a guy who watches film and conducts interviews of college athletes.

Most principals were teachers prior. That's pretty much the succession. Just like most Scouting directors were scouts prior.

Titty Meat
01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

What leaves this team in bad shape by your estimation other than the GM wanting to stick by a shitty QB?

BossChief
01-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Thisis a trick used by desperate people.

Over extenuate the opponents stance to make your own stance seem more plausible.

I NEVER said it would cause us to "completely tank drafts" and neither did anyone else.

Let me ask you a question.

If Eric Decosta leaves the Ravens, do you think that would lead them to lesser drafts?

Do you also think that if they lost Decosta, that Eric would want to take some of his best scouts with him to his future destination?

Emery is our Decosta and it's arguable that Phil has done a better job over the course of the last two years.

The Bad Guy
01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
What leaves this team in bad shape by your estimation other than the GM wanting to stick by a shitty QB?

Exactly.

Can't have a team without a quarterback.

The team will always be in bad shape with Matt Cassel.

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Level of responsibility? You're the one saying that Phil Emery essentially does everything. He oversees an entire scouting operation.
The scouting operation isn't everything. There is a college personnel department. There is a pro personnel department. And that's just scouting. Emery doesn't know the stuff about current NFL players as Ray Farmer/Pioli know, nor should he have to. As a GM, there are coaches and players you have to micromanage. There is being the face of the organization. There is the networking aspect of bargaining with other GMs. Etc... Etc... Etc... That's just the tip of the iceberg. Pioli is accountable for all of those things. He's not expected to be the most knowledgeable about college prospects. That's Emery's job, because while Pioli spends a fraction of a day thinking about them, Emery commits his entire work year to it. So when it comes to scouting, duh... Emery does virtually everything. It's that way in any organization. A CEO doesn't have to be an expert at Marketing. A college chancellor doesn't have to be an expert at English. That's why both of them have department heads that specialize in it.

The principal is only responsible for 1,000 kids each day as well as about 100 staff members in a typical school.

Yeah, that level of responsibility pales in comparison to a guy who watches film and conducts interviews of college athletes.[/quote]
This is not a knock on principals. But the difficulty of managing a scouting operation is a hell of a lot more difficult than most jobs, including principal. That's why they probably work (I would imagine) 100 hour weeks, why they're groomed to be GMs, and why they make a shitload of money.

Most principals were teachers prior. That's pretty much the succession. Just like most Scouting directors were scouts prior.
Again, principals are not accountable for teaching students. They are accountable for making sure teachers teach their students right. Scouting Directors are accountable for making sure scouts evaluate students right, and then they are involved with actual scouting once a shorter list has been developed. And then they are accountable for being a GM's go-to guy for getting the scoop on any player he's interested in.

chiefzilla1501
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM

The scouting operation in New England really slipped when they lost Dimitroff. It came surging back when they got Caserio. People want to blame Pioli for that lull, but he is only as good as the information that's given to him. It's the same deal here, I'm sure. While Pioli I'm sure micromanages Emery, I'm sure he also relies very heavily on Emery to get him good information. If the information stinks, then Pioli can't make good decisions.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Bob McGinn @BobMcGinn
The #Bears on the verge of hiring #Chiefs dir. of college scouting Phil Emery as GM. NFL sources said just a matter now of dotting the i's.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/23/2728183/chicago-bears-phil-emery-kansas-city-chiefs

Bears Reportedly Nearing Deal With Chiefs' Phil Emery For GM Job

0 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT
Sounds like the Kansas City Chiefs are about to lose a member of their front office.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Chicago Bears are closing in on Phil Emery as their next general manager:

The Bears on the verge of hiring Chiefs dir. of college scouting Phil Emery as GM. NFL sources said just a matter now of dotting the i's.

McGinn's got a terrific reputation around the league for these sorts of reports so unfortunately the Chiefs are probably going to end up losing Emery.

He came here in 2009 along with GM Scott Pioli after previously working in Atlanta for the Falcons. He was also an area scout for the Bears before that so he has that Chicago connection.

Titty Meat
01-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Matt Cassel to the Bears for a 2nd and Andy Studebaker.

Titty Meat
01-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Why's a guy from Milwaukee breaking a story about teams from Kansas City & Chicago?

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
skjensenSean Jensen

Just landed in Mobile. #Bears HAVE NOT offered Phil Emery the job... Yet. I suspect another round of interviews

Mr_Tomahawk
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Awwwwww shiiiiiiiit....looks like the "Chiefsway" is spreading... :p

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/02/hello_chief_emery_era_begins_u.html

'What, Chief?' Emery era begins under cone of silence
By Mark Potash on February 10, 2012 1:56 PM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
As expected, the Bears are battening down the hatches and activating the cone of silence in preparation for their first NFL draft under general manager Phil Emery.

The Bears have alerted the media that only coach Lovie Smith will be available for an interview -- and only one -- during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Feb. 22-28. In previous years, Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo would meet with Bears beat reporters and scouts or assistants in Indy for the Combine usually would be accessible.

But Emery, who spent eight years at the Naval Academy, where ''Loose Lips Sinks Ships,'' made it clear that under his leadership, the Bears will divulge as little information about their wants and needs in the draft and free agency as possible.

''When it comes time to publicly assess our needs or publicly talk about players that we may target, we will not do that. OK?,'' Emery said in response to the very first question asked of him at his introductory press conference on Jan. 30. ''Because I feel that's a competitive disadvantage to do so.

''We will know internally what our needs are. We will know internally the players we are going to target. We will not give away our competitive advantage to outline who those individuals are or at what position they are.''

All Emery would promise is that the Bears would target ''good football players, producers, dynamic playmakers that can help this football team grow.'' Good to know their plan of attack in acquiring talent is the same as every professional franchise in sports history, with the possible exception of the Washington Generals.

That said, there is much to be said for the idea of keeping things in-house when it comes to acquiring talent. While many needs are obvious, even from a reporter's perspective it doesn't seem to make much sense to address them too specifically in a public forum.

Every so often it at least appears to make a difference. In 2001, the Bears had the No. 8 pick in the first round and did not hide their interest in a defensive end. In NFL circles and publicly, it was clear they had their eyes on Cal defensive end Andre Carter.

The 49ers, who had the ninth pick, also wanted Carter and leapfrogged the Bears in the draft order by trading with the Seattle Seahawks for the No. 7 pick and selected Carter. The Bears were happy to get Michigan wide receiver David Terrell -- a supposed top-3 pick who was still available -- with their pick at No. 8.

Whether or not the Bears lost Carter by publicly or privately telegraphing their intentions, there's an obvious premium on information and mis-information prior to the draft. Jim Finks, who built the Bears' Super Bowl championship team, was a master at disguising his intentions.

In Finks' first draft with the Bears in 1975, he refused to tip his end on what he might do with the No. 4 overall pick, but did mention that he liked Texas A & I fullback Don Hardeman, then drafted Jackson State's Walter Payton. As it turned out, they would have drafted Payton with the No. 1 pick if they had it, coach Jack Pardee said.

In fact, almost every key Finks No. 1 pick -- Payton, Dan Hampton, Otis Wilson, Dennis Lick, Ted Albrecht -- had one thing in common: Finks never said a word about them. It wasn't until Mike Ditka was hired by George Halas and given some of Finks' say in the draft room that the Bears started showing more of their hand.

It's in the Bears' best interest to not reveal anything regarding who they like or what they're looking for. But if their silence on personnel matters under Emery is going to be absolute, it's a policy that's likely to backfire in Chicago.

Bears fans like to know what their GM is thinking. Does he think the quarterback makes the wide receiver? Does he need a clear ''No. 1'' wide receiver. Will he take players who are red-flagged for injuries? How much of a chance will he take on players with personal issues? And what about the backup quarterback?

Unless he drafts as well as Jim Finks did, Phil Emery is going to have to find a way to answer those questions without revealing whom he's drafting. It's not that difficult. You just have to have an appreciation for the fact that Bears fans have a more vested emotional interest in this team than anyone at Halas Hall except maybe Virginia McCaskey. And they want to know not only that you plan to win, but how you're going to do it.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
NDIANAPOLIS — Bears general manager Phil Emery was busy meeting with agents throughout the day Friday at the NFL scouting combine.

Emery visited with representatives of Bears players who are set to become free agents, according to sources, and also got together with Todd France, who doesn't have any current players on the Bears roster but does represent a pair of free-agent wide receivers in Dwayne Bowe and Eddie Royal.

Bowe will be one of the prized players on the open market March 13 if the Chiefs do not sign him to a long-term deal or place the franchise tag on him at a cost of roughly $10 million. Emery knows the 27-year-old Bowe well from his tenure with the Chiefs. The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Bowe caught 81 passes for 1,159 yards and five touchdowns last season from quarterbacks Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton. The year before, Bowe led the NFL with 15 touchdown receptions.

Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said before arriving at the combine his team would have about $38 million, which would leave enough space for the club to secure Bowe and cornerback Brandon Carr and leave room for plenty more transactions. So the chances of Bowe reaching the marketplace aren't good.

Like new quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, Royal would be a familiar figure for quarterback Jay Cutler. As a rookie in 2008, Royal caught 91 passes for 980 yards playing with Cutler for the Broncos. He hasn't been nearly as productive since the Bears acquired Cutler. Royal is 5-10, 185, though, and the team already has a cast of similar-sized targets.

France also represents draft prospects worthy of discussion — Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon and Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox. Both are considered first-round talents, and Blackmon will likely be long gone before the Bears select at No. 19 overall.

The process in Indianapolis, including a night packed with interviews with draft prospects, is one Chairman George McCaskey is exploring. He arrived Friday afternoon and will be involved at least in the background as he experiences the combine for the first time in his role.

It's hard to say what the Bears will have to consider when free agency opens. The deadline for franchise tags to be used is March 5, so that date will provide some clarity. But teams can do deals with their own players all the way through, and there is no guarantee wide receiver Vincent Jackson will make it out of San Diego. The Chargers could re-sign the 29-year-old. If he's off the market, the Bears might be left to consider players such as Marques Colston of the Saints or Reggie Wayne of the Colts.

There are questions that accompany both of those receivers. How effective will Colston be not playing in New Orleans' scheme? He's a possession receiver who has spent his entire career with Drew Brees and has played all of his home games in the ideal passing conditions created by a dome. Wayne is 33, two years older than Muhsin Muhammad was when the Bears signed him in 2005.

Emery has a lot to consider in a short amount of time. The Bears will get a closer look at wide receiver options for the draft beginning Sunday when those players work out at the combine.

Titty Meat
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
So Emery was tampering.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
So Emery was tampering.LMAO

htismaqe
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
ROFL

Can we just admit that EVERYBODY is tampering? I can't believe how blown-out-of-proportion the RAC comments are. If the Chiefs lose draft picks over COMPLETELY HARMLESS comments, well...that's just gonna suck. Bullshit.