PDA

View Full Version : Life Plantar Fasciitis

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Seriously. This shit sucks. I've had it for a couple years. Basically, it is the soft tissue that holds your arch up gets inflamed and pissed off. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis)

Over the last couple years, I've bought Orthotic insoles from my chiropractor and have Ecco boots. So every day for work, I lace up $500. But it continues to get worse, despite not doing anything overly active. I'll go to the chiropractor for awhile and it will feel better, but as soon as I quit for awhile, it is back and pissed off. I can't really justify going to the chiropractor once or twice a week 52 times a year. From both a time and financial perspective. I could stand to lose some weight, but it is difficult when you can't do much exercise with your legs.

Does anyone have any experience with Plantar Fasciitis? Anyone find any relief?

Dante84
01-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Seriously. This shit sucks. I've had it for a couple years. Basically, it is the soft tissue that holds your arch up gets inflamed and pissed off. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis)

Over the last couple years, I've bought Orthotic insoles from my chiropractor and have Ecco boots. So every day for work, I lace up $500. But it continues to get worse, despite not doing anything overly active. I'll go to the chiropractor for awhile and it will feel better, but as soon as I quit for awhile, it is back and pissed off. I can't really justify going to the chiropractor once or twice a week 52 times a year. From both a time and financial perspective. I could stand to lose some weight, but it is difficult when you can't do much exercise with your legs.

swimming is a good alternative.

Simply Red
01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/k34rqx.jpg

Phobia
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Ice, calf raises on stairs, stretching, and new sneakers solved my issue a couple years back.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Got it about 6 years ago. It sucks. The only help I've found is insoles with mega arch support. In the mornings try twisting up a bath towel and loop it around your toes and pull up on it to stretch those tendons out before you get out of bed . I feel your pain! You might try soaking your feet in hot water with epsom salt too.

wazu
01-22-2012, 10:59 AM
I've seen a number of posts on RunnersWorld from people who believe that barefoot running solved their PF. If there's any validity to it I would think walking barefoot could have similar effects if running isn't your thing.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/plantar-fasciitis-mortons-neuroma-barefoot-running

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I've seen a number of posts on RunnersWorld from people who believe that barefoot running solved their PF. If there's any validity to it I would think walking barefoot could have similar effects if running isn't your thing.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/plantar-fasciitis-mortons-neuroma-barefoot-running

Makes sense that that would stretch out the tendons. I think thats the key.

trndobrd
01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Streches of the ankles, calves and feet, 2x per day, every day.

milkman
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
In with the first "Anti Freeze".

phisherman
01-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch. Did I mention stretching?

I had to put arch supports in some of the shoes that I wear too, that was very important for me.

Stewie
01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I have a similar condition called Achilles tendonitis. It's basically the same thing but affects the back of my heel rather than the bottom. The first time I got it I couldn't believe the pain. It took me three minutes to get from my bed to the master shower and that's about 10 steps. It took about a week to walk normally again. It flaired up a second time and I went to the doctor and he diagnosed the problem. The last two times I could feel it starting to ache I had the hot spot massaged vigorously and that helped immensely. Much less pain and much shorter duration.

Abba-Dabba
01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Quit with the chiropractor, it' a stop-gap at best. And at worst a waste of money.

Go to a real physician. Ask for Indocin, take Ibuprofen when needed and stretch a couple times a day.

Stewie
01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Quit with the chiropractor, it' a stop-gap at best. And at worst a waste of money.

Go to a real physician. Ask for Indocin, take Ibuprofen when needed and stretch a couple times a day.

I go to a doc that's not a pill-pusher. He gave me advice about how to treat my problem and it has worked. To each his own, but I hate taking drugs of any kind.

Frazod
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
That cortisone shot in the heel hurts like bitch, but it sure does work.

Gadzooks
01-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Give Antonio Gates a call. He may have some tips.
Oh yeah, I've heard stretching helps too.

bobbymitch
01-22-2012, 03:55 PM
I had it as well. Felt like I was walkiing on hot coals. All I did to elviate my pain, was to do some stretching excercize. Stand close to a counter, place affected foot 3 to 4 feet back, get foot flat on the floor, and then lunge forward, keeping foot flat on the floor. Hurts like hell for a bit, but pain is gone. The use of an anti-inflamatory couldn't hurt.

redsurfer11
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Ice, calf raises on stairs, stretching, and new sneakers solved my issue a couple years back.

The calf raises on stairs should cure it within 10-14 days. Also get the blue dot gel heel pads. Dr Sholls I think.

Abba-Dabba
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I go to a doc that's not a pill-pusher. He gave me advice about how to treat my problem and it has worked. To each his own, but I hate taking drugs of any kind.

I know, modern medicine is always bad. Has been throughout the ages. At one point even autopsies were frowned upon, and criminal as well.

ClearmontChief
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM

For me, it was a combination of all these things. Stretching, rolling a frozen bottle of water across my foot, long term anti-inflamatory meds, and the cortisone shots in each heel. Got better, tried to resume jogging workout, about 1/2 way through the second lap it felt like I stepped on a nail...another 6 months of discomfort! I even have bi-lateral plantar faciitis as a 10% part of my VA disability.

Eventually, with all the combination of treatments, it calmed down. I have an occasional pain, a reminder I guess, but it doesn't last.

They've been calmed down now about 2 years. I'm overweight and really want to resume running again because that's the only workout that Ive ever had success with. I'm scared, but I think I'll try to run. Being overweight sucks, and so does suffering pain while trying to get healthy.

(don't need anyone to tell me all the low-impact things I can try...I have)

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
swimming is a good alternative.

Mom has a pool, but it is winter. The rec drains their pool in August (Even though it is indoor. WTF?)

Man, I have to wear shoes with some support inside. I don't think running with bare feet will do it.

In with the first "Anti Freeze".

Word.

Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch. Did I mention stretching?

I had to put arch supports in some of the shoes that I wear too, that was very important for me.

What's the best way to stretch it? Grab ahold of my foot and try to tear my toes off?

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
I had it as well. Felt like I was walkiing on hot coals. All I did to elviate my pain, was to do some stretching excercize. Stand close to a counter, place affected foot 3 to 4 feet back, get foot flat on the floor, and then lunge forward, keeping foot flat on the floor. Hurts like hell for a bit, but pain is gone. The use of an anti-inflamatory couldn't hurt.

Is that for me or for tendinitis in the Achilles? I'm not sure what that would do for my feet.

The other side of calf raises is I have to be careful or I'll get ridiculous shin splints.

I fucking hate getting old. Fuck!

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Give Antonio Gates a call. He may have some tips.
Oh yeah, I've heard stretching helps too.

He'd probably hang up after I told him he's not as good as Gonzo.

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Chiropractors have their place in my life, but it isn't going 3 times a week for the rest of my life. FWIW, the orthodics do help.

Denny
01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
My PF started a few years ago. Once you get it, it never really disappears altogether. You manage it. Mine was so bad that I literally couldn't walk.

Tried cortisone shots in the heels. After the pain from the injection subsided, I felt OK for about a week - then it was back just as bad as ever. So I personally don't recommend it, although your mileage may vary. Just remember that your heel has the thickest skin anywhere on your body and it takes a very big, very sharp needle with a lot of force behind it to get thru. Not a good experience.

Stretching as others have described every morning before I get out of bed does a LOT of good. The other thing is CONSTANT support for your feet at all times. Seriously, except when I'm taking a shower, I'm wearing shoes. It doesn't have to be a $500 specially-made pair. I'm in the Air Force and my combat boots do a good job - high arch and my heel is well-cupped. Any shoe that does that works great for me.

DanT
01-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm recovering from a very bad case of Plantar Fasciitis, which I got from jogging too much without stretching enough. Even though I'm a big guy (6'2", with my weight yo-yoing around an average of about 235 or so) I've been able to put in over twenty-five miles a week jogging without much of a problem for years, but back in early September, I got hobbled during a run. It was very upsetting at the time because I hate not being able to run, but I found some things that worked for me:

First, I went to Fleet Feet, a jogging shoe store, to get their recommendations for orthotics. They sold me on the "green" version of "Superfeet" replacement insoles, which I've since purchased for all of my shoes, whether for jogging or for work. They also sold me a Strassburg sock, which was helpful for the first few weeks, during the acute phase. That's a sock you wear while sleeping: it dorsiflexes the toes which keeps the back of the calf stretched. I also saw my doctor, who's also a jogger, and he showed me some stretches that I should do.

I used to stretch before and after jogs, but for the last 10 years or so, I used to think that stretching was more dangerous than just walking a block or two "to warm up" and "to cool down", so I would barely do any. As a result, my leg muscles had gotten ridiculously inflexible, given how hard it is to prople a big guy for miles and miles every week.

Anyway, after not running for a couple of months, always wearing the orthotics, stretching the lower legs every day and then slowly building back up, I'm now worked back to close to my usual jogging mileage, without much problem with the plantar fasciitis. So I think I've been pretty fortunate, as I was worried that it wouldn't go away, but it pretty much has been controlled.

In short, get some good orthotics and stretch the leg muscles routinely and things may get better faster than you think.

Man, it sucks, though, for the first few days. Good luck with your recovery.

DanT
01-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh, and like Denny said, make sure you stretch before getting out of bed. I hop out of bed a couple of times a night, usually, and I've gotten pretty good of stretching just a little bit before I do that. Just flexing the foot up and down a few times works for me.

DanT
01-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Ugh, I forgot one of the best things I did: tape the foot in the morning to bring the plantar fascia closer to the arch. That works wonders. I did that for about a month or so. (I finally stopped doing that after about a month or so, because most of the pain had gotten away and the tape itself was wearing my skin raw from ripping it off and replacing it every day.) There's lot of advice on the internet about ways to tape the foot for plantar fasciitis. They are all based on the same concept. Even a few simple straps of tape will help, provided you get that fascia closer to the arch.

Denny
01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Also, I don't have to take any medicine for my plantar fasciitis. Not even aspirin for pain.
Stretch and support does the trick.

demonhero
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312LYPLeHfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These half-moon balance balls work, but are rather expensive. They sell these at dicks sporting goods and wally World.

Buehler445
01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312LYPLeHfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These half-moon balance balls work, but are rather expensive. They sell these at dicks sporting goods and wally World.

?

Do I stand on it or what?

Dragonocho
01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Ugh, I forgot one of the best things I did: tape the foot in the morning to bring the plantar fascia closer to the arch. That works wonders. I did that for about a month or so. (I finally stopped doing that after about a month or so, because most of the pain had gotten away and the tape itself was wearing my skin raw from ripping it off and replacing it every day.) There's lot of advice on the internet about ways to tape the foot for plantar fasciitis. They are all based on the same concept. Even a few simple straps of tape will help, provided you get that fascia closer to the arch.

This. Athletic tape around the foot or the arch to provide extra support.there is an underwrap if you don't want to shave the hairs on the top of your foot.

demonhero
01-22-2012, 07:05 PM
You would need to work up to it, but to answer the question (yes).
http://i41.tinypic.com/b8kb51.png

ClearmontChief
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
My PF started a few years ago. Once you get it, it never really disappears altogether. You manage it. Mine was so bad that I literally couldn't walk.

Tried cortisone shots in the heels. After the pain from the injection subsided, I felt OK for about a week - then it was back just as bad as ever. So I personally don't recommend it, although your mileage may vary. Just remember that your heel has the thickest skin anywhere on your body and it takes a very big, very sharp needle with a lot of force behind it to get thru. Not a good experience.

Stretching as others have described every morning before I get out of bed does a LOT of good. The other thing is CONSTANT support for your feet at all times. Seriously, except when I'm taking a shower, I'm wearing shoes. It doesn't have to be a $500 specially-made pair. I'm in the Air Force and my combat boots do a good job - high arch and my heel is well-cupped. Any shoe that does that works great for me.

Air Force! I'm AF Retired. Make sure it's documented in your service medical record. When you are preparing to retire, you have the opportunity to claim medical issues you've had during active duty to get issues "service connected". Then, if you have enough "service connected" issues you are given a disability rating. Every little thing makes a difference. They have 'fuzzy math', I've got 8 10% Disability issues, and 3 other things 'service connected' but a zero rating (for now, they service connect it and rating can increase if worsens) for a total of 50% disability. Sleep Apnea is an automatic 50% disability unless surgically corrected.

Here's the key, once you hit 50% disability, it's an additional payday, VA provided 'career retraining' educational benefits, and so on.

Lono
01-23-2012, 08:51 AM
I have had PF several times. Had shots twice and it did the trick. I would be fine for about a year, then it would come back. Something I have done is put a golf ball in the freezer and roll it around with my foot, that seemed to help some. My doctor told me if I get it again he will suggest surgery. He said I would never have to deal with it again if I had the surgery done.

Buehler445
01-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Is this the best taping method?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wy1ZEJ-kKTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THESE (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/SPU100/) insoles work really well for me. They have almost the same support as my orthodics and have much more cushion.

Dragonocho
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I have not tried that technique but it looks ok to provide support. I wrap tape all the way around the foot for compression.

Buehler445
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Is this the best taping method?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wy1ZEJ-kKTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THESE (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/SPU100/) insoles work really well for me. They have almost the same support as my orthodics and have much more cushion.

This worked really well for me. I played a game of basketball (which normally eat my lunch) and am having few adverse effects from plantar faciitis.

bevischief
01-30-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.goodfeet.com/

Buehler445
01-30-2012, 08:17 AM
http://www.goodfeet.com/

I've got some custom made orthodic insoles from my chiropractor. I'll keep this in mind though because the ones I have are too hard to do much impact exercise with so I pretty much leave them in my work boots.

bevischief
01-30-2012, 09:30 AM
I've got some custom made orthodic insoles from my chiropractor. I'll keep this in mind though because the ones I have are too hard to do much impact exercise with so I pretty much leave them in my work boots.

I have been using them for about 6 yrs.

Kerberos
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I was diagnosed back in the late 90's and the ONLY shoes I buy are New Balance. You buy them and use the "Shoe Last" to get what you need. I use the SL-2 shoe last that has a higher instep. I have had the best luck with these not making my feet hurt when walking all day.

And Plantar Fasciitis blows dogs for quarters/[Jay and Silent Bob]

ChiefsOne
01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Put your foot on a tennis ball and press down hard, run back and forth quite a few times, s few times a day. Shoe inserts, Advil and run it off. That's was the only thing that cured mine.

Kerberos
01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Oh and a "GOOD" pair of Birkenstock sandals to wear in nice weather help tremendously as well.

Once you wear them "IN" you will never wear anything else around the house or out and about doing errands.

Omaha
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Running barefoot fixed it for me. Arch supports were just a band aid.

Buehler445
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Running barefoot fixed it for me. Arch supports were just a band aid.

That makes it DRAMATICALLY worse for me. Even walking around my house barefoot flares it up.

Omaha
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
That makes it DRAMATICALLY worse for me. Even walking around my house barefoot flares it up.

It did at first, but I was told that strengthening the foot is the only way to heal it. Arch supports just allow the foot to further atrophy. Another thing that helped me was sleeping in one of the boots made for PF.

Phobia
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I forgot to mention compression socks. I've switched about 80% of my socks to compression.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't want it.

Kerberos
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM

I know that feeling...It sucks and people that don't have it don't have a clue how painful it is.

BUT I also get flare ups of Gout on top of that and it seems like I'm always gimped up with some foot ailment. Gout hits the top of my foot 95% of the time. So it completely sucks when they BOTH hit at the same time and it has happened more than I can count on all toes and fingers.

bevischief
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
It did at first, but I was told that strengthening the foot is the only way to heal it. Arch supports just allow the foot to further atrophy. Another thing that helped me was sleeping in one of the boots made for PF.

Try the goodfeet arch supports, they have the only system that I have used that will strengthen your arch support. All other that I have just masks the problem.

Denny
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Air Force! I'm AF Retired. Make sure it's documented in your service medical record. When you are preparing to retire, you have the opportunity to claim medical issues you've had during active duty to get issues "service connected". Then, if you have enough "service connected" issues you are given a disability rating. Every little thing makes a difference. They have 'fuzzy math', I've got 8 10% Disability issues, and 3 other things 'service connected' but a zero rating (for now, they service connect it and rating can increase if worsens) for a total of 50% disability. Sleep Apnea is an automatic 50% disability unless surgically corrected.

Here's the key, once you hit 50% disability, it's an additional payday, VA provided 'career retraining' educational benefits, and so on.
Oh, it's all in the records. Plantar Fascitiis, arthritic knees, deep vein thrombosis, sleep anpea, hypertension, stress, etc, etc. 30 years of service can be a bitch. I'm waiting on a rendering from the medical board (going on 12 months now) before I'm medically retired. I'm going for a 70% disability.

Buehler445
04-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Mother fuck this shit. I thought I was doing pretty through the winter. Wrong-o.

ClearmontChief
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM

Yep. I had a series of cortisone shots, twice on each heel. That, and the stretching finally got it out of me. Bad for awhile, then better, then bad again...5-6 years!

Freeze a bottled water. Then, roll it around under your foot while sitting in your chair helps. All the other things, helped. But, I didn't get over it until the cortisone series and then gave it time.

Buehler445
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Icing my feet currently. Been doing it too much lately.

Frazod
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Yep. I had a series of cortisone shots, twice on each heel. That, and the stretching finally got it out of me. Bad for awhile, then better, then bad again...5-6 years!

Freeze a bottled water. Then, roll it around under your foot while sitting in your chair helps. All the other things, helped. But, I didn't get over it until the cortisone series and then gave it time.

I haven't had any issues with mine for a while, either. :thumb:

Rain Man
04-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Man, I picked up a case of this about 9 months ago, and it hurt like heck. I went out for a run, everything was fine, and when I got back and showered I was limping. I thought maybe I'd stepped on a rock or something, but it just kept getting worse. It hurt like a son of a gun for months. I was about to go spend $400 on an orthotic, but bought a $12 Dr. Scholl's insert at the grocery store after accidentally seeing it. It felt better immediately and healed over the course of about three months.

I would not like to ever have that again.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
04-23-2013, 11:11 PM
I suffer from this very ailment. I bought the $50 Dr. Scholl's insoles then went to a podiatrist and spent hundreds of dollars when I could have fixed it for under $20. I am on my feet for 8+ hours a day. These have helped me tremendously. I have had NO foot pain since I started wearing these. They're so comfortable I wear them even when I'm not at work.

On my days off I sometimes don't wear them at all, but they feel good so I like to wear them.

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/strutz/strutz.jpg