PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Emery deal close with Da Bears

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/bears-offer-emery-g-m-job/

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/23/2728212/chicago-bears-gm-phil-emery-kansas-city-chiefs

Sounds like he's gone from the favorite to the sure thing.

This could be an interesting draft for the Chiefs. Emery's an important guy for the next few months. I don't think this will affect the first round much, but I think the second round and beyond + undrafted rookies will take a hit. Nobody's fault on this one. But the timing kind of sucks.

RealSNR
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
LMAO Were you around for BossChief's lamenting should we lose this guy to the Bears?

DeezNutz
01-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, the '12 draft was disappointing, but Pioli didn't anticipate losing Emery.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
LMAO Were you around for BossChief's lamenting should we lose this guy to the Bears?

I'm lamenting too. I can't believe how many people want to pretend this guy isn't important to this franchise. He's obviously good enough that the Bears want him badly.

I don't think it devastates the franchise. But it hurts us big time in 2012 and given how good he is, he's not going to be an easy guy to replace without slipping a little bit in your talent evaluation.

RealSNR
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm lamenting too. I can't believe how many people want to pretend this guy isn't important to this franchise. He's obviously good enough that the Bears want him badly.

I don't think it devastates the franchise. But it hurts us big time in 2012 and given how good he is, he's not going to be an easy guy to replace without slipping a little bit in your talent evaluation.He's good, but there are other guys who can do his job rather well. I'd much rather he stayed, but it looks like he's not. I'm not going to go off myself unless I see a 2009esque draft this April.

BossChief
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Our drafts have been solid the last two years that Emery has been the director of college scouting.

Losing that information is gonna hurt. We will se to what extent that goes in April and May.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Forgive me for being overly simplistic here... but I'm not going to be too broken up if we lose a guy in the front office that hasn't had enough impact to keep us from being a losing team 2 of the last 3 years and helped draft for the last place team in the worst division in the NFL last year. I'm sure he knows his business just fine but until I see real results on the field I really don't give a crap. Pioli runs the show and that so far has been the problem. JMHO.

Titty Meat
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Forgive me for being overly simplistic here... but I'm not going to be too broken up if we lose a guy in the front office that hasn't had enough impact to keep us from being a losing team 2 of the last 3 years and helped draft for the last place team in the worst division in the NFL last year. I'm sure he knows his business just fine but until I see real results on the field I really don't give a crap. Pioli runs the show and that so far has been the problem. JMHO.

I thought you didn't like football?

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I thought you didn't like football?

Who said that?

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
JasonLaCanforaJason La Canfora
Bears hire Phil Emery as new GM. He had been with KC

booger
01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
will be interesting if Pioli promotes one of the Scouts or goes outside to replace him

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-28-2012, 02:18 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer
Bears announce Phil Emery as new GM. Good football man. Dimitroff kept him in Atlanta thru regime change, recommended him to Pioli in 2009.

booger
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Hopefully Dimitroff has a candidate or two in mind to replace him with

Titty Meat
01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Who said that?

I remember you saying it in the Chiefs/Bills thread.

booger
01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
if they hire walter football i'm gonna be pissed

Hammock Parties
01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
He's gone. Where's the bitching?

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
He's gone. Where's the bitching?

This sucks. Not much we can do about it but we lost someone good and it probably hurts us this draft. And yes, his job does matter.

DJ's left nut
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, the '12 draft was disappointing, but Pioli didn't anticipate losing Emery.

Yup.

Queue that sucker up in 2014 when Pioli gets his extension after going 8-8.

Ugh.

Sannyasi
01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Sad to see him go. I've been rather impressed with our drafts the last two years.

BossChief
01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Watch Chicago have solid drafts from here on out while ours are meh or worse...back to 2009 quality where our jaws are on the ground with that look of WHO?!?!?!? throughout the draft.

We better hope we have a replacement in line that has already stepped up and took control of everything that is capable of not just performing his duties, but to flourish in the role as Emery seemed to.

I'll also add another thing.

If we aren't gonna be prepared enough to have another impressive draft, fuck the dumb shit...trade up for a fucking quarterback.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
if they hire walter football i'm gonna be pissed

I'm hearing a Travis Tritt look a like was brought in for a look...

DJ's left nut
01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Gotta love it:

Highest paid GM in the game. No discernible FA activity, 2 of our premier FAs are likely to hit FA or need to be tagged, and somehow we're worried that our draft will suck if his underling (recommended by someone else) leaves.

WTF does Scott Pioli actually do in this organization? If it ain't scouting and it ain't pro-personnel acquisitions - what is it?

Well, beyond the obvious waste management responsibilities. Keeping those wrappers off the floor has to take a lot of his time.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Watch Chicago have solid drafts from here on out while ours are meh or worse...back to 2009 quality where our jaws are on the ground with that look of WHO?!?!?!? throughout the draft.

We better hope we have a replacement in line that has already stepped up and took control of everything that is capable of not just performing his duties, but to flourish in the role as Emery seemed to.

I'll also add another thing.

If we aren't gonna be prepared enough to have another impressive draft, fuck the dumb shit...trade up for a fucking quarterback.I've been one of the biggest fans of Emery's 2011 draft, and I like a lot of the things he did in 2010 as well. He definitely did his job well.

But I'm not going to lose my shit until I see the results of 2012. It's totally possible that our individual scouts and (gasp!) Pioli are the ones drafting well the past two years. If we draft absolute feces this spring, I'll grab a torch and burn down Arrowhead with the rest of the angry mob. Until then, though, it's a loss but it's nothing that can't be replaced easily.

Besides, isn't that a part of the "Patriot Way"? Constantly having to replace key members of your player development/coaching staff every year because other teams always pick it over?

All this means is we're doing things the correct way, amirite???

The Bad Guy
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Gotta love it:

Highest paid GM in the game. No discernible FA activity, 2 of our premier FAs are likely to hit FA or need to be tagged, and somehow we're worried that our draft will suck if his underling (recommended by someone else) leaves.

WTF does Scott Pioli actually do in this organization? If it ain't scouting and it ain't pro-personnel acquisitions - what is it?

Well, beyond the obvious waste management responsibilities. Keeping those wrappers off the floor has to take a lot of his time.

Not to mention all the money saved by not allowing color copies to be made.

(Yes, this also happens at Arrowhead)

The Bad Guy
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
I think we'll ultimately be OK drafting, but if Pioli is leading the charge, get ready for more Tyson Jackson esque picks.

That pick was ALL Pioli.

O.city
01-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Who is gonna replace Emery?

Bad Guy, I was wondering if you have heard anything about Hue?

Mr. Laz
01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
one minute the franchise is complete shit
Pioli is worthless and hasn't done a dam thing

now people are crying because we are losing a person from this huge pile of shit?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4893/59589865.jpg

BossChief
01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Laz cannot see the color grey.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Laz cannot see the color grey.funny you should say that when so many people around here are completely doom and gloom.

Titty Meat
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Gotta love it:

Trades for tight ends.

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I've been one of the biggest fans of Emery's 2011 draft, and I like a lot of the things he did in 2010 as well. He definitely did his job well.

But I'm not going to lose my shit until I see the results of 2012. It's totally possible that our individual scouts and (gasp!) Pioli are the ones drafting well the past two years. If we draft absolute feces this spring, I'll grab a torch and burn down Arrowhead with the rest of the angry mob. Until then, though, it's a loss but it's nothing that can't be replaced easily.

Besides, isn't that a part of the "Patriot Way"? Constantly having to replace key members of your player development/coaching staff every year because other teams always pick it over?

All this means is we're doing things the correct way, amirite???

Again, the fact that you think this is such an easy job and that he can disappear and the Chiefs wouldn't know the difference is beyond wrong. It's an important job. That's why he gets paid big bucks. That's why he was coveted for the Bears' job. That's why people in his position are typically coveted for GM jobs period. And that's probably the main reason why New England had a few years of really shitty drafts in between Dimitroff and Caserio.

The system you're proposing is a complete clusterfuck. You can't have a million scouts feeding Pioli information. Emery is the middleman between the scouts and Pioli. And he is an advanced scout himself, meaning he is much better at evaluating talent than scouts are. Why do you think these guys typically get promoted from the scouting network? He is the guy who has the big picture--he knows the best prospects in the country, whereas scouts only know what's best in their region. He's the guy who can prioritize who Pioli pays attention to and who not to waste his time with. And he's also probably Pioli's go-to guy if he needs a detailed scouting report in a jiffy.

I do agree that it hurts us a little bit less now that most of the detailed field scouting has been done. And I imagine Pioli's been planning a contingency plan so there's somebody who probably knows at least close to what Emery knew. So it's not going to devastate us in this draft. But we are essentially losing our best evaluator of talent, whose job is to give Pioli good information to make decisions.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Again, the fact that you think this is such an easy job and that he can disappear and the Chiefs wouldn't know the difference is beyond wrong. It's an important job. That's why he gets paid big bucks. That's why he was coveted for the Bears' job. That's why people in his position are typically coveted for GM jobs period. And that's probably the main reason why New England had a few years of really shitty drafts in between Dimitroff and Caserio.

The system you're proposing is a complete clusterfuck. You can't have a million scouts feeding Pioli information. Emery is the middleman between the scouts and Pioli. And he is an advanced scout himself, meaning he is much better at evaluating talent than scouts are. Why do you think these guys typically get promoted from the scouting network? He is the guy who has the big picture--he knows the best prospects in the country, whereas scouts only know what's best in their region. He's the guy who can prioritize who Pioli pays attention to and who not to waste his time with. And he's also probably Pioli's go-to guy if he needs a detailed scouting report in a jiffy.

I do agree that it hurts us a little bit less now that most of the detailed field scouting has been done. And I imagine Pioli's been planning a contingency plan so there's somebody who probably knows at least close to what Emery knew. So it's not going to devastate us in this draft. But we are essentially losing our best evaluator of talent, whose job is to give Pioli good information to make decisions.Dude, we're going to hire a replacement for Emery. Chill out. Yes, Emery did a great job when he was here, but teams lose important cogs all the time at ALL levels of the organization. Players, coaches, front office, scouting... things get mixed up every goddamn year. Talented professionals get promoted by other teams. Sometimes they quit. Sometimes they don't pick up candy wrappers and get fired. It happens.

Emery has big shoes to fill, but how about we wait a bit to see if the guy we bring in is any good? What if he's BETTER than Emery was? What if he's not as good, but still absolutely competent in his work?

It's really not that big of a deal.

Also, please tell me where I said this was such an easy unimportant job? Just because I'm not losing my shit over Emery leaving doesn't mean I don't have respect for the quality job this guy did. I mean, geez, have you SEEN my praise of the Chiefs' 2011 draft?

tk13
01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
This franchise is toast. We are never going to draft another good player ever again.

whoman69
01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
This franchise is toast. We are never going to draft another good player ever again.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/29/cdb81db7-0eee-4902-8aaa-60ce7a630fe8.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
01-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Good for him. He can be replaced.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-28-2012, 10:19 PM
kentbabbKent Babb
To this point: If Emery knocked on my door right know to ask directions to the QT, I wouldn't think it was anyone other than a drifter.

kentbabbKent Babb
Emery has a terrific resume, but his name came up staggeringly seldom with the Chiefs since he began here.

kentbabbKent Babb
Phil Emery has been hired as Bears' GM after 3 unmemorable yrs as Chiefs' college scouting dir. Couldn't name 1 big move he got credit for.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Does Babb mean he can't think of one quality draft pick that Emery was responsible for?

Are we no longer counting Eric Berry, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki, Kendrick Lewis, Jon Baldwin, Rodney Hudson, Allen Bailey, and Justin Houston as quality draft picks? Because good fuck... that's pretty much the goddamn future of this team.

If he means he can't think of any late round draft picks/UDFAs that have been quality, he might have a point. 2009 was a complete abortion in all phases, but Emery's role with the team in that year is questionable. We had two 5th rounders in 2010 and no 6ths or 7ths. And in 2011, we've got Stanzi and Powe who COULD be pretty damn good in their second years.

As for the UDFAs, we have a (pretty good quality) starter in Jovan Belcher, and good special teamers Jeremy Horne, Cory Greenwood, and Rashard Langford. Previously with this team we had Pierre Walters and Verran Tucker who made significant contributions on special teams and even saw the field a bunch. Let's also not forget this coaching staff's vision for finding previous undrafted nuggets of talent in Wallace Gilberry and Jackie Battle.

And that's about what a team should expect from undrafted talent it signs. If too many of these guys are getting shots with the 53 man roster, it means you've got a pretty damn untalented group of players. Yeah, there are no Jerome Harrisons, Victor Cruzs, or Miles Austins. So what?

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-28-2012, 10:39 PM
kentbabbKent Babb

For all I know, Emery could've been brains behind Berry/Lewis/Houston draft picks. Chiefs aren't set up to highlight second-tier leaders.

stonedstooge
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Babb sounds like he's a little butt hurt about something

BossChief
01-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Emery was hired after the draft in 2009.

A few days after he was hired, we signed Jovan Belcher as an UDFA.

Deberg_1990
01-28-2012, 10:49 PM

Agreed. I'd even go so far to say we never win a game again.

ArrowheadMagic
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
kentbabbKent Babb
To this point: If Emery knocked on my door right know to ask directions to the QT, I wouldn't think it was anyone other than a drifter.

kentbabbKent Babb
Emery has a terrific resume, but his name came up staggeringly seldom with the Chiefs since he began here.

kentbabbKent Babb
Phil Emery has been hired as Bears' GM after 3 unmemorable yrs as Chiefs' college scouting dir. Couldn't name 1 big move he got credit for.

Good way to add to your credibility about your story you printed. Pioli isnt scouting everybody. Babb should probably take a lesson in heirarchy of a scouting department. His story.... reeks of butthurt.... as his tweets do.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Emery was hired after the draft in 2009.

A few days after he was hired, we signed Jovan Belcher as an UDFA.And the instant Jovan Belcher signed his contract, I pooped my pants.

Coincidence????

But seriously, before the 2009 draft Belcher was considered one of the top small school steals by loads of draft analysts. Sure, that might have been information that Emery knew about and was able to persuade Pioli into acquiring him. Or it's possible that Pioli/Haley/whoever did their homework on Belcher like they did their homework on Alex Magee, Colin Brown, Quinten Lawrence, Javarris Williams, and Jake O'Connell. Oops.

ArrowheadMagic
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
And the instant Jovan Belcher signed his contract, I pooped my pants.

Coincidence????

But seriously, before the 2009 draft Belcher was considered one of the top small school steals by loads of draft analysts. Sure, that might have been information that Emery knew about and was able to persuade Pioli into acquiring him. Or it's possible that Pioli/Haley/whoever did their homework on Belcher like they did their homework on Alex Magee, Colin Brown, Quinten Lawrence, Javarris Williams, and Jake O'Connell. Oops.

A gm better not being scouting small school prospects.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 11:08 PM
A gm better not being scouting small school prospects.One of their scouts did and they liked the report on him. Or maybe Pioli has a "guy" he trusts who happens to coach in the Colonial division who tipped him about Belcher. Whatever. It doesn't matter. The point is, there are numerous ways to explain the Belcher signing in 2009. It doesn't have to be all about Emery.

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Dude, we're going to hire a replacement for Emery. Chill out. Yes, Emery did a great job when he was here, but teams lose important cogs all the time at ALL levels of the organization. Players, coaches, front office, scouting... things get mixed up every goddamn year. Talented professionals get promoted by other teams. Sometimes they quit. Sometimes they don't pick up candy wrappers and get fired. It happens.

Emery has big shoes to fill, but how about we wait a bit to see if the guy we bring in is any good? What if he's BETTER than Emery was? What if he's not as good, but still absolutely competent in his work?

It's really not that big of a deal.

Also, please tell me where I said this was such an easy unimportant job? Just because I'm not losing my shit over Emery leaving doesn't mean I don't have respect for the quality job this guy did. I mean, geez, have you SEEN my praise of the Chiefs' 2011 draft?

Take a look at the Patriots' drafts between Dimitroff and Nick Caserio.

Either Scott Pioli forgot how to evaluate talent. Or maybe this job is more important than you're making it out to be.

I'm not flipping my shit out. But there are a lot of people who think this job is going to be an easy one to fill. It's not. This is a tough job and we had a guy who did it well.

chiefzilla1501
01-28-2012, 11:34 PM
One of their scouts did and they liked the report on him. Or maybe Pioli has a "guy" he trusts who happens to coach in the Colonial division who tipped him about Belcher. Whatever. It doesn't matter. The point is, there are numerous ways to explain the Belcher signing in 2009. It doesn't have to be all about Emery.

That's highly doubtful. Very highly doubtful.

Pioli's a busy guy. He only has the ability to read cliff notes. I think Boss is right... it's hard to believe that Pioli would find a guy like Belcher given that he froze out his scouts. Undoubtedly that was Emery using what he learned while in Atlanta.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I feel like I'm talking to my wife. :facepalm:

I KNOW the vacancy left by Emery will be tough to fill. He did a good job in his drafts. He did an important job. I totally agree with you.

I KNOW that our talent scouts report to the director of scouting and not Pioli himself. It's possible that we have very good scouts to go with our very good former director of college scouting. You don't have to explain the process to me. I've processed it already.

And YES. That's what I've been saying all along. All I'm saying is there's absolutely no reason why a guy with Pioli's connections can't hire somebody just as good as Emery.

ArrowheadMagic
01-28-2012, 11:50 PM
That's highly doubtful. Very highly doubtful.

Pioli's a busy guy. He only has the ability to read cliff notes. I think Boss is right... it's hard to believe that Pioli would find a guy like Belcher given that he froze out his scouts. Undoubtedly that was Emery using what he learned while in Atlanta.

SNR has human ejaculate on the brain. His memory is clouded.

Good for Emery, just another important position we need to fill. Unless we dont think college scouting is important.

RealSNR
01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
SNR has human ejaculate on the brain. His memory is clouded.

Good for Emery, just another important position we need to fill. Unless we dont think college scouting is important.Now you're just being rude.

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Now you're just being rude.

Indeed, perhaps I can get a prayer thread stickied for my soul?

BossChief
01-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I wonder which scouts follow him, if any.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I enjoyed the simpler times of following the NFL much more than today's age of giving a fuck about losing Dwight Shrutes and hiring PR dudes. The league is so overanalyzed it is ridiculous.

DTLB58
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
will be interesting if Pioli promotes one of the Scouts or goes outside to replace him

Kent Babb @kentbabb

Ray Farmer, though, will be the next Chiefs personnel man to be a GM. Much talent, perseverance, ability. The guy is good.

Maybe he will get this job first.