PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 2, Heat 3.

Rain Man
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
A little horror, some school, a little jiggling, some local government, and a touch of downhome goodness.

EDIT: A LITTLE HELP FROM A MOD? OPTION 1 IS THE ADDAMS FAMILY. I AUTOTYPED THE WRONG THING.

mlyonsd
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I've heard a lot of posters claiming Community is funny.

When did that start? I watched half the first year and was bored to death. Did something change? Should I try it again?

Rain Man
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Pretty weak heat, in my opinion. My thoughts:

#1. Parks and Recreation. Good show. I like it. Amy Poehler is cool.

#2. Andy Griffith. It's not like I'm a huge fan, but it's a decent show and keeps drawing weak heats.

#3. Three's Company. I'm embarrassed to vote for a show with only one plot the entire series, but I have no choice.

Didn't make the cut.

#4. The Addams Family. Never watched it that much. I was more of a Munsters man, though recognizing that the Munsters was a ripoff of Addams.

#5. Community. Never seen it, though people tell me it's good in spite of Chevy Chase's presence.

Predarat
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
This is a damn good heat its going to be tough to choose just 3.

Micjones
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
TAGS over Three's Company? #fartnoise

blaise
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Parks & Rec and Andy Griffith.

Old Dog
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
In keeping with voting only for those I really think are worth a hoot even if it means voting for only one or two, I voted only for Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bea

Rain Man
01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I really enjoy the fact that some of us think each heat is great and others think it's weak, and everyone is shocked about how everyone else doesn't vote for the "obvious choices". It makes me giggle.

And by the way, I can't believe that Parks and Rec isn't in the top two right now.

Predarat
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I really enjoy the fact that some of us think each heat is great and others think it's weak, and everyone is shocked about how everyone else doesn't vote for the "obvious choices". It makes me giggle.

And by the way, I can't believe that Parks and Rec isn't in the top two right now.

It really should be, its on its way up the ladder. Unless NBC screws it up.

Dartgod
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

I've never seen it, but the fact that Three's Company is in second place makes me ROFL

Deberg_1990
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM

If Parks and rec doesnt win the whole enchilada, this entire poll holds no validity and i hope you all die in an AIDS Thunderstorm.

blaise
01-26-2012, 02:17 PM
If Parks and rec doesnt win the whole enchilada, this entire poll holds no validity and i hope you all die in an AIDS Thunderstorm.

This heat or the Whole Enchilada?

Predarat
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM

What if we voted for it?

Baby Lee
01-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I've heard a lot of posters claiming Community is funny.

When did that start? I watched half the first year and was bored to death. Did something change? Should I try it again?

Both Community and Parks and Recreation took the first half of their freshman seasons to find their footing and voices. This is widely accepted in the critical community. While not bad, per se, at first, both have improved exponentially since.

Both started off establishing who the players are and what motivations drive them. Once that was established, they writers could get down to the work of making their foibles funny.

P&R is about bouncing character archetypes against each other.

Community is about taking those archetypes and throwing them into pop culture tropes that both celebrate and deconstruct said tropes. Its humor derives from how deeply they deconstruct and how expertly they reconstruct something new from all the deconstruction.

Rausch
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I absolutely can not believe CP is ignorant of "Community."

vailpass
01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Jack Tripper and Sheriff Taylor. Don't even know what those other shows are.

CHENZ A!
01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Parks and rec should win easy, you are all nuts.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Community is about taking those archetypes and throwing them into pop culture tropes that both celebrate and deconstruct said tropes. Its humor derives from how deeply they deconstruct and how expertly they reconstruct something new from all the deconstruction.

I like fart jokes.

Does it have fart jokes?

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

This.

vailpass
01-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Never heard of it, just googled it. No wonder. Network TV?

Omaha
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM

I was thinking it would be weak even for round 1.

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM

This.

This heat is mind-blowingly easy. P&R, Community, Andy Griffith. If it takes you longer than two seconds to vote for those three, you should just go right ahead and die in the corner.

vailpass
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
This.

This heat is mind-blowingly easy. P&R, Community, Andy Griffith. If it takes you longer than two seconds to vote for those three, you should just go right ahead and die in the corner.

Take your tv pretty seriously do you?

DJ's left nut
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
This.

Sorry, but there's no beating the 'perm' vote on Chiefsplanet.

Just like Stairway will win every rock poll ever posted 'round here, a stupid 70's era sitcom is likely going to win this whole thing.

The fact that Three's Company survived a first heat, let alone a 2nd is all the evidence I need. Even as 70s sitcoms go, that one is especially vapid.

But yeah, it's going to the next round and a show that's actually good won't.

There's no beating the perm.

Predarat
01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Wish Community had more votes, come on Parks and Rec, get through this dammit!

Pitt Gorilla
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I think this is a particularly strong heat. Parks & Rec and Community SHOULD advance, but they probably won't. It's interesting that Heat 2 was especially weak, given the strength of this one.

Predarat
01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I was thinking it would be weak even for round 1.

Two of my current favorites are in the heat, Community and Parks and Rec. The other three I have liked in the past. Threes Company is probably my least favorite but the early seasons were good, then it got repetitive. Like most shows lol.

blaise
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Who are the people that voted that they couldn't pick one of these in good conscience? None of those shows appealed to you?

Baby Lee
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
These results suck a bag of dicks right about now, but I expect no less at this point.

If I have the time at the end of this mess, I'll be glad to take RM's full list of candidates and let you guys know precisely when and where you all fucked up. ;)

Though, I'm starting to suspect a big problem is RM's lack of insight into seeding. Lots of heats chock full of fail, then a couple of heats posing a couple of new classics against a couple of old classics, then another heat full of fail.

HemiEd
01-26-2012, 03:06 PM

:spock:

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Does anyone remember the Threes Company when Chrissy was hogtied and...oh wait, I don't think that was an actual episode.

Omaha
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Two of my current favorites are in the heat, Community and Parks and Rec. The other three I have liked in the past. Threes Company is probably my least favorite but the early seasons were good, then it got repetitive. Like most shows lol.

Who are the people that voted that they couldn't pick one of these in good conscience? None of those shows appealed to you?

I started watching P&R & the Community when they began, but they didn't stick. I've seen a few P&R episodes since that I liked, but I didn't start watching regularly.

I didn't watch Andy Griffith because I'm not old as shit.

Three's Company was every cheesy 70s/80s sitcom.

Addams Family. WTF? How did that get to the second round and why are people voting for it?

Predarat
01-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Ron Swanson is a bad mother fucker.

Baby Lee
01-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Ron Swanson is a bad mother fucker.

Fun fact: Saying "Jean-Ralphio sent me" will get you instantly into eleven clubs in the central Indiana area, and instantly kicked out of thirty five more.

Zebedee DuBois
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I am becoming disillusioned.

Again.

SLAG
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Ron Swanson is a bad mother ****er.

http://drunkronswanson.com

Deberg_1990
01-26-2012, 05:36 PM
My favorite episode of Threes Company was the one where Mr. Roper mistakenly overheard something Jack did down at the Reagle Beagle.

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Three's Company
P&R
Andy

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
My favorite episode of Threes Company was the one where Mr. Roper mistakenly overheard something Jack did down at the Reagle Beagle.

LOL

Baby Lee
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM

http://themellowjihadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Furley1.jpg

Rain Man
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Does anyone remember the Threes Company when Chrissy was hogtied and...oh wait, I don't think that was an actual episode.

I remember that one well. charlie's angels made a spirited guest appearance, except for kate jackson. I wasn't into kate jackson.

whoman69
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I only voted for one, which was Adaams Family. Probably compared to all the reality crap that is on, Community/Parks and Recreation seem like great shows. Andy Griffith to me was more a family morality play with cute humorous moments. The fact that they used an over the top laugh track (listen to the same guy say 'sheesh' every time there is a 'big laugh') is evidence its not a great comedy. Three's Company's big attraction was T and A.

patteeu
01-26-2012, 08:20 PM
None of these deserve to go on, IMO.

mlyonsd
01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
None of these deserve to go on, IMO.I'll bet without even thinking you can whistle the Andy Griffith song.

patteeu
01-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Nope. I've never really watched a full episode of Community or Parks and Rec so I may be missing a couple of comedy gems, but I can't vote for them solely on the basis of hearsay.

patteeu
01-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll bet without even thinking you can whistle the Andy Griffith song.

Sure I can, and it's a fine show, but I doubt I'd spend more than 3 seconds before I changed the channel if I ever came across it on my TV these days.

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Nope. I've never really watched a full episode of Community or Parks and Rec so I may be missing a couple of comedy gems, but I can't vote for them solely on the basis of hearsay.

FUCK YOU YES YOU CAN

nah that's fair

BUT SERIOUSLY FUCKING JUST DO IT

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Remember that episode when Chrissy and Janet ritualistically shaved Jacks balls before he choked them out? Oh wait...that wasn't an actual episode

CHENZ A!
01-26-2012, 10:10 PM
WHAT'S HOT DJ ROOMBA?!

Dartgod
01-26-2012, 10:15 PM
The fact that they used an over the top laugh track (listen to the same guy say 'sheesh' every time there is a 'big laugh') is evidence its not a great comedy.

Oh, come on. Every show used a laugh track back then.

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Oh, come on. Every show used a laugh track back then.

That's like excusing somebody's evil racist asshole of a grandpa because "it was a different time."

Rain Man
01-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Holy cow. What a comeback to knock out a great show. Parks and Rec is dead.

Moving on are Andy Griffith, Three's Company, and the Addams Family.

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I used to have sick fantasies about Mortisha. I bet that shocks you. Don't worry, nothing as bad as what happens at Penn State.

Baby Lee
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM

I'm starting to realize how something like a Pioli happens.

Dartgod
01-26-2012, 10:36 PM
That's like excusing somebody's evil racist asshole of a grandpa because "it was a different time."
I'm not sure what your point is, but the use of a laugh track doesn't indicate that the show was not funny.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/1431/ron-swanson-drunk-dance.gif

Pitt Gorilla
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Moving on are Andy Griffith, Three's Company, and the Addams Family.Dude, Parks and Rec is ahead. WTF?

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2012, 11:20 PM

no

tk13
01-26-2012, 11:21 PM
What's depressing about this is it shows why Community will probably struggle to make it to season 4. Then some of these people will catch it somewhere on TV 5 years from now and say "Wow, this was really good."

blaise
01-26-2012, 11:26 PM
The Addams Family sucks.

Rain Man
01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Dude, Parks and Rec is ahead. WTF?

no

Admittedly it was an odd turn of events. Parks and Rec was ahead and then when I came to close the poll the Addams Family had crept ahead by one vote. Then Parks and Rec came back, but it was too late.

I really don't get the Addams Family love. Parks and Rec is a much better show.

blaise
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Admittedly it was an odd turn of events. Parks and Rec was ahead and then when I came to close the poll the Addams Family had crept ahead by one vote. Then Parks and Rec came back, but it was too late.

I really don't get the Addams Family love. Parks and Rec is a much better show.

Wait, you're saying Parks and Rec is out?

patteeu
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Wait, you're saying Parks and Rec is out?

This is what he's saying to Parks and Rec:

<object width="32" height="32" class="hark_player"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_32x32.swf?pid=bgqfdrwfcm"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="allownetworking" value="all"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_32x32.swf?pid=bgqfdrwfcm" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" width="32" height="32" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://www.hark.com/clips/bgqfdrwfcm-you-youre-outta-here" style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd;" title="Listen to You You're Outta Here on Hark.com">You You're Outta Here</a>

Predarat
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Hopefully Parks and Recs can get back in a poll like the last 1st round poll where shows that did not make it get a 2nd chance.

Rain Man
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Hopefully Parks and Recs can get back in a poll like the last 1st round poll where shows that did not make it get a 2nd chance.

Yeah, I'll hold another mercy poll. I'll probably do that until we get to the final 10 or 20 contestants.

Predarat
01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'll hold another mercy poll. I'll probably do that until we get to the final 10 or 20 contestants.

Yes when it gets to that stage, its all Cobra Kai John Kreese No Mercy Sweep the Leg time.

http://www.210crossfit.com/uploads/210/image/sweep%20it.jpg