PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Cable vs. Satellite vs. your options suggestions, opinions needed

BigRedChief
01-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I've had Road Runner/TMC and U-Verse in the past. I have Brighthouse down here in Florida (think Road Runner/TMC) its basically the same as TMC in Lee's Summit.

Thinking of switching to Direct TV for TV over cable. I'll get broadband access from another provider. Mainly so I can get the NFL package.

Going into a 2800 sq. ft. house. 4 bedroom about a block from the water. Has a big backyard with a huge pool. Thinking wireless is a must to not only go throughout the house but also outside on laptops etc.

Is the technology of Satellite any better? outages in rainstorms etc. Reliability any better or worse?

Currently paying about $200 for internet and programming. Pretty much take all the programming they have to offer and have a 40 meg connection to the internet.

Mr. Arrowhead
01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Direct TV is the best, ever since I switched with them, I will never switch back to cable

Deberg_1990
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Satellite has gotten better over the years with less outages. But the frequency of rain storms in Florida would concern me.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't know that the technology for the satellites themselves has gotten THAT much better of the years, but the magnitude of the signal issues is greatly overblown IMO. We've had DirecTV for about 3 years now, and our signal has only gone out for maybe 5-10 minutes around 3 times during that period. It just doesn't really happen that much. If it does, chances are the dish isn't aligned properly, which can be fixed with either a service call (free if you pay for their insurance) or by doing it yourself.

The biggest thing that impresses me about DirecTV over most cable providers is that they are CONSTANTLY improving their offering, and I don't necessarily mean the channels provide. They release updates for their software all time time, and new hardware comes out about every year. It can sometimes be hard to pick and choose exactly what you get, but they have some killer equipment.

Right now, their newest thing is the HR34 "home media center (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/hmc_receiver)" receiver. Basically, it becomes your main receiver. It can record FIVE SHOWS AT ONCE, so you aren't stuck having to miss something because of a scheduling conflict. But perhaps the coolest thing is that ALL YOUR OTHER DVRs can watch shows recorded on that one. It's pretty damn cool. Also, the technology they're using is starting to be used in some TVs (not very many) so you can actually have some TVs in your house that don't use a receiver at all and instead act as a dumb terminal of sorts, connected back to that main DVR. Anyway, it's a nifty piece of equipment.

As for cost, we pay about $90 for our TV service, which is their middle of the road package with no premiums. They nickle and dime you a bit, but I think the cost is basically what you see on their site plus $8ish for HD DVR service and $5 per extra receiver you get. One thing that is pretty different about DirecTV vs. cable, though, is that you'll probably pay some sort of up-front leasing cost for the equipment rather than having it thrown in for free. They usually discount it a lot for new customers, but just be warned you might have to drop a few hundred to get things going.

If you do go the DirecTV route, make sure and take advantage of their referral deal. You'll get $10 off your bill for 10 months, as will whoever refers you. If you don't have anyone, there are many (including me) on here that would be glad to give you their account number. :)

BigRedChief
01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know that the technology for the satellites themselves has gotten THAT much better of the years, but the magnitude of the signal issues is greatly overblown IMO. We've had DirecTV for about 3 years now, and our signal has only gone out for maybe 5-10 minutes around 3 times during that period. It just doesn't really happen that much. If it does, chances are the dish isn't aligned properly, which can be fixed with either a service call (free if you pay for their insurance) or by doing it yourself.

The biggest thing that impresses me about DirecTV over most cable providers is that they are CONSTANTLY improving their offering, and I don't necessarily mean the channels provide. They release updates for their software all time time, and new hardware comes out about every year. It can sometimes be hard to pick and choose exactly what you get, but they have some killer equipment.

Right now, their newest thing is the HR34 "home media center (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/hmc_receiver)" receiver. Basically, it becomes your main receiver. It can record FIVE SHOWS AT ONCE, so you aren't stuck having to miss something because of a scheduling conflict. But perhaps the coolest thing is that ALL YOUR OTHER DVRs can watch shows recorded on that one. It's pretty damn cool. Also, the technology they're using is starting to be used in some TVs (not very many) so you can actually have some TVs in your house that don't use a receiver at all and instead act as a dumb terminal of sorts, connected back to that main DVR. Anyway, it's a nifty piece of equipment.

As for cost, we pay about $90 for our TV service, which is their middle of the road package with no premiums. They nickle and dime you a bit, but I think the cost is basically what you see on their site plus $8ish for HD DVR service and $5 per extra receiver you get. One thing that is pretty different about DirecTV vs. cable, though, is that you'll probably pay some sort of up-front leasing cost for the equipment rather than having it thrown in for free. They usually discount it a lot for new customers, but just be warned you might have to drop a few hundred to get things going.

If you do go the DirecTV route, make sure and take advantage of their referral deal. You'll get $10 off your bill for 10 months, as will whoever refers you. If you don't have anyone, there are many (including me) on here that would be glad to give you their account number. :)I like the home media center part. That was the best part of UVerse was the ability to record 4 programs at once. I liked 24 and MNF and the wife wanted to watch/record Dancing with the Stars. Fucking network geeks always put top shows against each other.

I never had outages with TMC. Rarely with Uverse. The rainstorm issues do concern me.

whoman69
01-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I originally switched from cable about 5 years ago being fed up by their prices and the fact they had so many channels I would never watch. I found DirectTV to be cheaper in the short term, but over the long term its way more expensive with DirectTV. They love to nickle and dime you to death. They charge $5 for each extra room. They charge $5 for HD per room. They charge extra for repair...You get the picture. I had their service for over 4 years and they wouldn't replace the remotes after all that time.

I was constantly calling customer service because my main connection kept freezing and having to be reset. Cable freezes too, but to fix it I just have to change channels. About the only channel I'm missing out on is MLB from DirectTV, but I don't have Cardinals games blacked out on ESPN because Fox Sports Midwest is showing the game.

For Direct TV the program that started out at $45 moved up to $75 and I hadn't added anything. In fact I was constantly dropping programming that I couldn't afford anymore. When I got back to cable, I was paying $75 for cable/phone/internet for the first year and around $110 after that. I got no movie channels with DirectTV except IFC and their channels they offer with commercial interruptions. With cable I get included Showtime/Starz/Encore and all their channels.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Haven't lost signal once in the couple years I've had DTV.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
DirecTV > *

They charged me 100 bucks for a new HD DVR receiver, and 0 for an install which forced them to put a new satellite up and run cable.

cabletech94
01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
charging for equipment? man, that's awful? what happens if your 100 dollar hd/dvr shoots crap in 13 months?

DaFace
01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
charging for equipment? man, that's awful? what happens if your 100 dollar hd/dvr shoots crap in 13 months?

You have to pay for it ($6/mo), but their insurance covers virtually everything that could possibly break.

Oh, and retail on their dvrs is closer to $300-400.

cabletech94
01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
You have to pay for it ($6/mo), but their insurance covers virtually everything that could possibly break.

Oh, and retail on their dvrs is closer to $300-400.

yea, knew the actual price on the dvrs. we used to have people supply their own, and we'd be right back out with ours because the early versions were/are crap.
6 bucks /mo isn't too bad if it covers all equip (i suppose).

sedated
01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I switched to DTV about a year ago. I had maybe 3 outages due to storms at my old place, 1 at my new place, and they never last longer than 5 mins. When it comes to normal TV, never an issue because DVR still works, but is a little nerve racking if I hear thunder during a big game.

One thing to note is that my SD box doesnt go out as easily and comes back quicker than my HD box, so maybe worth investing to have that as a backup. Out of my 4 outages, 2 never affected the SD box at all.

Molitoth
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Switching to DirectTV from Cable will save me $700 over the next 2 years AND I'm getting 2 more HD receivers with whole home DVR w/ 3 free months of HBO/STARZ/Showtime/Max.

Huffmeister
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
We just switched to DirecTV last week and got the HR34 HD DVR that DaFace mentioned. Love it so far. And we just got the update for the new UI a couple of days ago, which is really cool. After 7 years with Time Warner DVR, they never updated their UI.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that you can set a show/series to record from another receiever, but you can't see what's scheduled to record.

BigMeatballDave
01-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I have Directv and RR.

Both are the best, IMO

BigRedChief
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Switching to DirectTV from Cable will save me $700 over the next 2 years AND I'm getting 2 more HD receivers with whole home DVR w/ 3 free months of HBO/STARZ/Showtime/Max.yeah, I'm looking at being able to add the NFL Sunday ticket and pick up some more movie channels for the same price.

WV
01-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Have had DTV since around 99 and will never go back to cable.

lewdog
01-30-2012, 12:20 AM
I have Comcast by no choice of my own because the apartment complex I live in doesn't allow satellites to be posted.

FML :facepalm:

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I have Comcast by no choice of my own because the apartment complex I live in doesn't allow satellites to be posted.

FML :facepalm:

That's not legal. Is it?

Frazod
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Satellite has gotten better over the years with less outages. But the frequency of rain storms in Florida would concern me.
Posted via Mobile Device

This. I can't imagine your dish would do well in a hurricane. Perhaps they have sturdier models to compensate?

Weather aside, DTV is probably your best option.

lewdog
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
That's not legal. Is it?

They use the reasoning that the tall trees and hills around here block the satellite signal, which is how I think they get away with it. Pretty sure that it is untrue though.

SuperChief
01-30-2012, 01:34 AM
I've had DTV for about a year now and have had very few complaints, if any, with them over that span. I'm sure you'll get some good offers when you sign up (equipment, special pricing plan for 12 months, etc.). I have a friend who just got Dish - I can safely say he wishes he got DTV after watching some games over at my place.

BigRedChief
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
This. I can't imagine your dish would do well in a hurricane. Perhaps they have sturdier models to compensate?

Weather aside, DTV is probably your best option.St. Petersburg has never had a direct hit from a hurricane. Evah.

BigRedChief
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I've had DTV for about a year now and have had very few complaints, if any, with them over that span. I'm sure you'll get some good offers when you sign up (equipment, special pricing plan for 12 months, etc.). I have a friend who just got Dish - I can safely say he wishes he got DTV after watching some games over at my place.If I go satellite it will be direct TV. What motive do you have to go Dish? They don't have the Sunday ticket package. I guess if you didn't like football?:shake: