PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Why Michael Jordan says Kobe Bryant deserves to be compared to him

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2012/01/kobe-bryant-michael-jordan-lakers.html

Below are excerpts from a recent conversation with Lakers author Roland Lazenby. He's writing a biography on Michael Jordan titled "MJ: The Life," which is scheduled to be released in 2013. Lazenby has already shared (via Twitter) why Jordan says he believes that Kobe Bryant deserves being compared to him. And with the Jordan-owned Charlotte Bobcats visiting the Lakers on Tuesday, it's timely to touch on Lazenby's recent conversation with me. You can listen to the entire 25-minute interview above.

Lazenby on why Jordan thinks Bryant deserves being compared to him: "Kobe had done the work. He [Jordan] was very aware and taking in great interest in Kobe Bryant's great work ethic. Michael Jordan's work ethic also is legendary. He said Kobe had done that work to deserve the comparison. He says Kobe's the only one to have done the work."

Comparing Jordan and Bryant: Jordan was this kind of guy who could get position in the post and hold it. Jordan is one of the greatest post weapons in the history of the game despite the fact he's not a post player, center or power forward. But he's a great post-up scorer. Tex [Winter] always remarked that Kobe didn't quite have the same strength or center of gravity. Kobe is a fine post-up player, but he could get shoved off the block easier than Michael.

Kobe has defined himself by his singular pursuit of this agenda of the Jordan legacy. That causes him to be overshadowed, but Kobe has clearly staked out territory as his own. In some ways, his drive and determination is every bit that of Michael Jordan. In some ways, it probably eclipses that. There's no question the game preparation and the effort that Kobe has done from the time he was 17 years old, no one comes close to that. Tex would say not even Michael in that regard, and Jordan worked very hard.

On Phil Jackson saying last year that Bryant is motivated to surpass Jordan on the NBA's all-time scoring list: Kobe has tremendous regard for Michael Jordan. There's not too many people working out in the territory out there. Kobe very much wants to approach Jordan's record. He may have frowned on that [comment]. I don't think he wants to offend Jordan in any way. He treasures any attention he can get from Michael Jordan.
On whether the Bryant-Jordan comparisons undermine Bryant's accomplishments standing on their own : Kobe has been so eager and expended so much effort in trying to fly up near the sun where Jordan is that his own accomplishments get lost. They're always lost in terms of Jordan, but that was more of a factor early on his career."

On Lazenby hearing that General Manager Mitch Kupchak may leave the Lakers: One of my old sources sent me an email about it. After getting that email, I started thinking a bit and I contacted another one of my sources. Mitch plays his cards very close, so I don't think anyone can answer that definitively. But ... at least for some people who have a good look at him and what he does inside the organization are wondering and speculating in that direction."

blaise
01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
You can compare them, but if I had to choose one of the two to have on my team it would be Jordan every time. You put Jordan on one team and Kobe on another, in their prime, tell me I have to wager my life savings on one or the other and I'd put it on Jordan.

Bowser
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Who has the bigger ego, Jordan or Bryant? That's a poll I'd like to see the results of.

shitgoose
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Who has the bigger ego, Jordan or Bryant? That's a poll I'd like to see the results of.

Jordan for sure

BigCatDaddy
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Compared? Sure. When you compare you see it's not really a comparison.

suds79
01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey Mike, we don't need your permission to compare Kobe to you.

Now I know people get their panties in a bunch if you ever suggest someone could ever be close to Jordan but the truth is Kobe is. (or was rather).

IMO:
- Better offensive game? I'll take Kobe. Simiar game. But Kobe is by far the better 3 pt shooter.
- Better D? Both great. I'll take Jordan.

Flat out who would I take? Obviously Jordan. Just had the "it" factor. But Kobe is arguably the greatest 2 guard ever. So yes, you can compare them.

Molitoth
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
We may never see another Jordan, but Kobe is as close as it comes.

Titty Meat
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Who gives a shit?

pr_capone
01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Jordan couldn't even beat Spud Webb in a dunk competition. Jordan sniffs Kobe's jock and wishes he could produce such an aroma.

/i keed... in a 1 on 1, Jordan would rape Kobe like he was working at a Colorado hotel.

vailpass
01-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Now I know people get their panties in a bunch if you ever suggest someone could ever be close to Jordan but the truth is Kobe is. (or was rather).

IMO:
- Better offensive game? I'll take Kobe. Simiar game. But Kobe is by far the better 3 pt shooter.

Flat out who would I take? Obviously Jordan. Just had the "it" factor. But Kobe is arguably the greatest 2 guard ever. So yes, you can compare them.

LMAO

morphius
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
The place where they are not comparable is what they have done for the NBA, when Jordan played many people watched the games and it brought in a lot of casual fans. Kobe, if anything, has had the opposite effect.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM

IMO:

LMAO

BigCatDaddy
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM

IMO:

LMAO

KurtCobain
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Kobe never balled with Bugs Bunny.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Pantalones
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Dumbest post ever by suds. You can't compare somebody to the greatest of all time. That's disrespectful to MJ. And stupid.

suds79
01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Dumbest post ever by suds. You can't compare somebody to the greatest of all time. That's disrespectful to MJ. And stupid.

You're right what I said was stupid.

Apparently we do need Mike's permission to compare Kobe to him for the people who don't get it. Thank you for validating what I said about how people get their panties in a bunch when you suggest someone could be close to Jordan.

Furthermore, what an idiotic statement to say you can't "compare" someone to the greatest. You have the GOAT in Jordan. Nobody is disputing that. Settle down. But you take arguably the 2nd greatest 2 guard of all time and you can't see how their games stack up? Of course you can.

listopencil
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM

Apparently we do need Mike's permission to compare Kobe to him for the people who don't get it. Thank you for validating what I said about how people get their panties in a bunch when you suggest someone could be close to Jordan.

Furthermore, what an idiotic statement to say you can't "compare" someone to the greatest. You have the GOAT in Jordan. Nobody is disputing that. Settle down. But you take arguably the 2nd greatest 2 guard of all time and you can't see how their games stack up? Of course you can.

No, you have to sacrifice something to The Basketball Gods now to atone for your sacrilege. Send me your most costly adult beverages and I will destroy them for you. So mote it be.

Ebolapox
01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
ROFL@suds79

Hammock Parties
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Call me when Kobe drops 45 points at age 39.

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Apparently we do need Mike's permission to compare Kobe to him for the people who don't get it. .

Pretty much.

stevieray
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
silly

Ebolapox
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
oh, you can compare them until you're blue in the face. (warning, hyperbole follows... and yes, this is a joke of a comparison) hell, you can compare ants to shoes... just wouldn't get very far.

they're VERY comparable, but I'd personally take jordan 100 times out of 100. that's just it, it's a PERSONAL preference. granted, I'd be willing to wager that a great portion of basketball fans would give the edge to jordan (and by a wide margin), but you can CERTAINLY compare them.

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
I find it funny that Jordan himself thinks he should be compared and there are people on his dick so hard they just shine it. I guess Jordan is just an idiot that doesn't know the game as well as you guys.

Brock
01-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Does that seem out of the question to you?

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Hell, his body is almost at the ave of 39, dudes played ALOT of minutes. MOre then anyone at his age for damned sure. He did recently drop 48 in a win, with a torn ligament in his shooting hand.

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM

lol, I dont think he will play that long. His body can no way hold up i dont think. He's passed MJ in total minutes regular season and play offs. He's 33 years old.

Then again, KObe did say he wants to play til he's 40 a few years back, so who knows.

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
oh, you can compare them until you're blue in the face. (warning, hyperbole follows... and yes, this is a joke of a comparison) hell, you can compare ants to shoes... just wouldn't get very far.

they're VERY comparable, but I'd personally take jordan 100 times out of 100. that's just it, it's a PERSONAL preference. granted, I'd be willing to wager that a great portion of basketball fans would give the edge to jordan (and by a wide margin), but you can CERTAINLY compare them.

I agree, Jordan 100 out of 100, but the next guy picking will NOT be upset he took Kobe at 2. Them 2 in their prime would go at it hard and it would be fun to watch.

ok, so i didnt get Jordan, i think ill be ok with Kobe! Still a win win.

SAUTO
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM

What position did mike play?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-31-2012, 07:35 PM
No one gives a shit about the NBA/CP

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Hell, his body is almost at the ave of 39, dudes played ALOT of minutes. MOre then anyone at his age for damned sure. He did recently drop 48 in a win, with a torn ligament in his shooting hand.

3 nights in a row over 40 this year

BigCatDaddy
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I find it funny that Jordan himself thinks he should be compared and there are people on his dick so hard they just shine it. I guess Jordan is just an idiot that doesn't know the game as well as you guys.

You can compare, but Kobe is still Jordan Lite.

crispystl
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Kobe is damn damn good, but anyone who takes him over Jordan is either jaded or didn't watch Jordan play. Jordan had a will to win like I've never seen.

Hammock Parties
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Kobe won't last til 39.

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Kobe is damn damn good, but anyone who takes him over Jordan is either jaded or didn't watch Jordan play. Jordan had a will to win like I've never seen.

The thing is NO ONE IS. but people everywhere think they are.

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 08:03 PM
You can compare, but Kobe is still Jordan Lite.

And there is NOT a DAMNED thing wrong with that.

Brock
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Kobe won't last til 39.

Does he get to take a couple of years off here and there?

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
3 nights in a row over 40 this year

Whats really amazing is he plays through all his injuries, its not like they are minor either. Its insane what he does, and his pain tolerance. Fucked up knee's for the last few years til his germany surgery. Ring finger on his shooting hand has no ligaments at all, its just all scar tissue lol Now his wrist injury.

BigCatDaddy
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
And there is NOT a DAMNED thing wrong with that.

Sure, unless someone is saying otherwise and BD seems to like to imply otherwise. There are a few out there that would say Kobe is as good as if not better then MJ, but I'm 99% sure they are wearing purple and gold panties while making such a claim.

Some people just don't want to admit that Kobe has reached his ceiling as the #2 shooting guard in modern day NBA history. Like you said there is nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Kobe won't last til 39.

He has already past his prime and on his way down. He was a great player and I thought he had a chance to at least sniff MJ's status but at his peak he wasn't even close and then he started to drop. It's not his fault. MJ was a freak.

kcxiv
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Sure, unless someone is saying otherwise and BD seems to like to imply otherwise. There are a few out there that would say Kobe is as good as if not better then MJ, but I'm 99% sure they are wearing purple and gold panties while making such a claim.

Some people just don't want to admit that Kobe has reached his ceiling as the #2 shooting guard in modern day NBA history. Like you said there is nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

There are some biased people, thats for sure, but he's not going to be on MJ's level. Kobe really hasnt toped out yet i dont think, I think he can still get better from the mide range and from the post. That doesnt mean he will be a better all around player, but i think he has room for improvement in them area's still.

Anyways, nother wrong at all being number 2 to MJ. Also even better when Number 1 says, he basically said he's in the discussion. Jordan was a prick, im shocked he even did that. I guess the old saying goes, Game Recoginize game!

Ebolapox
01-31-2012, 09:16 PM
I agree, Jordan 100 out of 100, but the next guy picking will NOT be upset he took Kobe at 2. Them 2 in their prime would go at it hard and it would be fun to watch.

ok, so i didnt get Jordan, i think ill be ok with Kobe! Still a win win.

oh, no doubt. I'll put it this way... if michael jordan never existed, we'd be able to fully appreciate the dominant force that has been kobe. he's been an amazing player who pretty much suffers for the fact that michael jordan was born before he was.

J Diddy
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
What position did mike play?
Posted via Mobile Device

He played the Mike side Center.

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Kobe 18 Bobcats 15 when Kobe checks out in the 1st quarter.

Bewbies
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Lakers fans will argue Magic or Kobe until they're blue in the face. Both are fantastic, top players that have ever played.

And if you combined both into one player everyone else would still take Jordan.

Chief_For_Life58
02-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Jordan couldn't even beat Spud Webb in a dunk competition. Jordan sniffs Kobe's jock and wishes he could produce such an aroma.

/i keed... in a 1 on 1, Jordan would rape Kobe like he was working at a Colorado hotel.

lolololololololololol

SAUTO
02-01-2012, 12:43 AM
He played the Mike side Center.

Ok then. I must have been totally fucked up all those years because I thought he played the two
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
02-01-2012, 08:04 AM
You can compare them, but if I had to choose one of the two to have on my team it would be Jordan every time. You put Jordan on one team and Kobe on another, in their prime, tell me I have to wager my life savings on one or the other and I'd put it on Jordan.

Exactly.

Just to be in the same sentence in a comparison with Jordan is a great honor. Nobody goes around saying "hey, you know, Steve Nash or Michael Jordan, what do you think?"

But to be deserving of comparison -- i.e. in the same ballpark -- doesn't mean to be as good as, or better than.

blaise
02-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Is Kobe's 3 point percentage really that much better than Jordan's to say he a "far better 3 point shooter"?

BigCatDaddy
02-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Is Kobe's 3 point percentage really that much better than Jordan's to say he a "far better 3 point shooter"?

Kobe career 33%
Jordan career 32%

suds79
02-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Kobe career 33%
Jordan career 32%

I stand corrected.

Could not believe Jordan got to 32% by the end of his career when I know he started out pretty bad. His first few years he shot 17, 16, 18% from 3. Amazing he came back that far. Guess shooting 50, 42 & 37% during the prime of his career will do that for you. ;)

BigCatDaddy
02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I stand corrected.

Could not believe Jordan got to 32% by the end of his career when I know he started out pretty bad. His first few years he shot 17, 16, 18% from 3. Amazing he came back that far. Guess shooting 50, 42 & 37% during the prime of his career will do that for you. ;)

Right. Jordan was shooting over 53% from the field in his 3 best seasons while Kobe never topped 47%.

53% is crazy for a 2 guard especially one that was asked to bail his team out as the shot clock expired as much as MJ was.