PDA

View Full Version : News End of the Line for the Sooooooooooul Train

gblowfish
02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Don Cornelius offs himself:

Soul Train' host Don Cornelius dead of suicide
By Jeff Wilson, Associated Press
http://tinyurl.com/73gw5dx

Don Cornelius, who with the creation of Soul Train helped break down racial barriers and broaden the reach of black culture with funky music, groovy dance steps and cutting edge style, died early Wednesday of an apparent suicide. He was 75.

Soul Train was one of the first U.S. shows to showcase African-Americans, and it introduced television audiences to such legendary artists as Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and Barry White.

Officers responding to a report of a shooting found Cornelius at his Mulholland Drive home at around 4 a.m., police said. He was pronounced dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at 4:56 a.m. at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter.

"I am shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden passing of my friend, colleague, and business partner Don Cornelius," said Quincy Jones. "Don was a visionary pioneer and a giant in our business. Before MTV there was Soul Train, that will be the great legacy of Don Cornelius. His contributions to television, music and our culture as a whole will never be matched. My heart goes out to Don's family and loved ones."

The Rev. Al Sharpton said he was shocked and grief-stricken.
"I have known him since I was 19 years old and James Brown had me speak on Soul Train," Sharpton said in a statement from New York. "He brought soul music and dance to the world in a way that it had never been shown and he was a cultural game changer on a global level."

Soul Train began in 1970 in Chicago on WCIU-TV as a local program and aired nationally from 1971 to 2006.

It introduced television audiences to such legendary artists as Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and Barry White and brought the best R&B, soul and later hip-hop acts to TV and had teenagers dance to them. It was one of the first shows to showcase African-Americans prominently, although the dance group was racially mixed. Cornelius was the first host and executive producer.

"There was not programming that targeted any particular ethnicity," he said in 2006, then added: "I'm trying to use euphemisms here, trying to avoid saying there was no television for black folks, which they knew was for them."

Soul Train, with its trademark opening of an animated chugging train, was not, however, an immediate success for Cornelius, an ex-disc jockey with a baritone rumble and cool manner.

Only a handful of stations initially were receptive.

"When we rolled it out, there were only eight takers," he recalled in a 2006 interview with The Associated Press. "Which was somewhere between a little disappointing and a whole lot disappointing."

The reasons he heard? "There was just, 'We don't want it. We pass,'" he said, with race going unmentioned. "No one was blatant enough to say that."
Audience reaction and the high-powered talent the show attracted helped it spread. Over the years, Soul Train showcased some of R&B's biggest stars, including Gaye and Brown, as well as crossover white artists. In later years, it featured rap stars, although Cornelius acknowledged that he was no fan of the genre or the racier dance moves that younger teens had embraced.

The show's highlight was a dance line. Teens strutted and pranced their way between two lines of dancers awaiting their turn to show off. Over time, the dance line worked its way into American culture and is now an integral part of wedding receptions and parties.

Cornelius, who was inducted into the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame in 1995 and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, said in 2006 he remained grateful to the musicians who made Soul Train the destination for the best and latest in black music.

"I figured as long as the music stayed hot and important and good, that there would always be a reason for Soul Train," Cornelius said.
The series spawned a franchise that includes the Soul Train Music Awards, the Soul Train Lady of Soul Awards and the Soul Train Christmas Starfest.
Cornelius stepped down as Soul Train host in 1993. The awards returned to the air in 2009 after two-year hiatus. Last year's awards were held on Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with Earth Wind & Fire receiving the "Legend Award."

In his later years, Cornelius had a troubled marriage. In 2009, he was sentenced to three years' probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor spousal battery. In his divorce case that year, he also mentioned having significant health issues.

Micjones
02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Cornelius was a legend. He forever changed music.
He'll be sorely missed.

TimeForWasp
02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKJzRNwe5dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL

ModSocks
02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Soul train was my favorite thing to watch when i was younger. Loaded up on weed & alcohol, watching classic episodes of soul train at 3 in the morning. Good times, good times.

But suicide? Really? I suspect foul play was involved...

blaise
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
He faxed his letter of intent to the afterlife.

Dayze
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKJzRNwe5dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL

this is how some of the retarded dancing going on today, will look like in 30 yrs.
LMAO

ModSocks
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
The best part about watching classic episodes of Soul Train was that you knew everyone on the floor was coked the fuck out.

The Dawg?
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Soul train was my favorite thing to watch when i was younger. Loaded up on weed & alcohol, watching classic episodes of soul train at 3 in the morning. Good times, good times.

The article noted health problems. Maybe it just got to be too much for him?
Either way it's pretty sad. He was an iconic figure of the 70's and 80's.

Archie F. Swin
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
he had a voice that would make a wolverine purr.

durtyrute
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM

this

durtyrute
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM

whoa

Monty
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
The article noted health problems. Maybe it just got to be too much for him?
Either way it's pretty sad. He was an iconic figure of the 70's and 80's.

That's what I was thinking as well. Great show, really changed things musically as well as culturally. As a kid, I watched this show every Saturday right after AB.

boogblaster
02-01-2012, 11:43 AM
RIP .. wasn't into his show ... but he made a difference ......

SLAG
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
What a start to Black History Month

Deberg_1990
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
RIP Don. Soul Train was a true innovated show for its time. MTV before there was MTV.

alpha_omega
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
RIP...loved watching on saturdays back in the day.

Radar Chief
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. Great show, really changed things musically as well as culturally. As a kid, I watched this show every Saturday right after AB.

My sis was into AB, I was much more interested in Soul Train because there’d be women on there just flinging that ass around.

He was definitely one smooth dude, that’s for sure.

FAX
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
RIP Don. Soul Train was a true innovated show for its time. MTV before there was MTV.

Sooooouuuullll Traaaaain was also Zumba before there was Zumba. Many weight-conscious African Americans owe their youthful pant size to Don Cornelius.

RIP.

FAX

Monty
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
My sis was into AB, I was much more interested in Soul Train because there’d be women on there just flinging that ass around

:thumb:

Setsuna
02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
What a start to Black History Month

BHM is a myth. And that's sad about his death. Brought the 'F' to Funk.

listopencil
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
My sis was into AB, I was much more interested in Soul Train because there’d be women on there just flinging that ass around.

^

listopencil
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
BHM is a myth. And that's sad about his death. Brought the 'F' to Funk.

lolwut?

Gadzooks
02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I’ve often wondered if I could “off” myself if I had a terminal disease. I think I would become a heroin addict and eventually commit, a self inflicted, overdose once my tolerance built up in a way that it no longer allowed me pleasure from the drug.

RIP Corny

listopencil
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I’ve often wondered if I could “off” myself if I had a terminal disease. I think I would become a heroin addict and eventually commit, a self inflicted, overdose once my tolerance built up in a way that it no longer allowed me pleasure from the drug.

RIP Corny

The problem is timing.

big nasty kcnut
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Rip don the world not as funky without you around.

Frosty
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM

I watched it sometimes for exactly this reason. It definitely wasn't for the music.

Gadzooks
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
The problem is timing.

True, also, I wondor if a bullet would be more painless than the mind's reaction to a heroin overdose.