PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou Basketball

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Saul Good
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
MIZ-ZOU

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/999599/dance.gif

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
We get blown out Saturday and this thread dies.....got it?

Pants
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
We get blown out Saturday and this thread dies.....got it?

You guys are going to destroy us in Paige.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Stop it. We're supposed to corner the market on being arrogant prick fans.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if MU loses. KU is a good team and MU is going to have to play some of their best ball of the year. That being said I can live with a competitive loss.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Stop it. We're supposed to corner the market on being arrogant prick fans.

Don't worry, you still own that title in spades! :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't worry, you still own that title in spades! :thumb:

Whew. That was a close one.

That said I'll be nearly shocked if KU wins this one. MU could be specal this year. Either way I won't be able to watch it anyway.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM

That said I'll be nearly shocked if KU wins this one. MU could be specal this year. Either way I won't be able to watch it anyway.

It should be a good game. What worries me is MU has not played particularly great since Baylor. I was worried about how KU murdered OU but then I rememered MU murdered them even worse and I knew KU at home after a loss would be nails anyway.

We can't shut down KU across the board, there is just no way. I think Robinson is the one you take your chances with since he seems to be either hot or cold. I'd go for shutting down Taylor and getting Withey into foul trouble even if it means Withey gets 10 blocks in the process.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
It should be a good game. What worries me is MU has not played particularly great since Baylor. I was worried about how KU murdered OU but then I rememered MU murdered them even worse and I knew KU at home after a loss would be nails anyway.

We can't shut down KU across the board, there is just no way. I think Robinson is the one you take your chances with since he seems to be either hot or cold. I'd go for shutting down Taylor and getting Withey into foul trouble even if it means Withey gets 10 blocks in the process.

No one knows about playing hot and cold better than KU so it all depends on what team shows up for each side. We can look like uninspired ass (Iowa State) or we can dominate. Home crowd for MU... really good team that will be really up for the game as always... I'd pretty much settle for keeping in close and having a chance at the end. Hopefully Taylor or Robinson or both will have inspired performances and Withey doesn't shit himself too much.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't miss it for the world, depending on the outcome i may not post here for a couple of days tho!

RCJHGKU!

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't miss it for the world, depending on the outcome i may not post here for a couple of days tho!

RCJHGKU!

I'm sure I will hear the boo's all the way from Lawrence every time something doesn't go KU's way! :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM

RCJHGKU!

Well I'd like to watch but my kiddo has a regional pom pon competition out of town and I'm a better dad than a sports fan.

:thumb:

Titty Meat
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
KU might lose Saturday but they'll win another BCS game someday down the road. It's the cost of doing business.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Something I would really like to do though it would be impossible without losing my mind is to listen to Bob Davis (KU radio announcer) and Mike Kelly (MU radio announcer) during an MU\KU game at the same time.

I have to admit as odd as it sounds that when I first started getting into College BB, I was always an MU fan but never harbored ill-feelings towards KU. Then one night on the radio I listened to Bob Davis calling a KU game and I swear to God the guy ruined me on KU basketball forever. I mean like for a short time I would root for KU as long as they weren't playing MU but after hearing him.....JFC! I swear he makes every KU score sound like it was a half-court 3 at the buzzer and any, I mean any time something doesn't go KU's way you would swear the NCAA was out to get KU on purpose even.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm sure I will hear the boo's all the way from Lawrence every time something doesn't go KU's way! :thumb:

Were not Iowa State, we take our lumps and rise back to the top!

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Were not Iowa State, we take our lumps and rise back to the top!

Then you must never be at the PHOG. I swear everytime I watch or listen to a KU game and the ball doesn't bounce their way or they get called on a legit foul the boo's rain down like thunder. I understand all home fans do such but I think KU does it the best! :thumb:

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Something I would really like to do though it would be impossible without losing my mind is to listen to Bob Davis (KU radio announcer) and Mike Kelly (MU radio announcer) during an MU\KU game at the same time.

I have to admit as odd as it sounds that when I first started getting into College BB, I was always an MU fan but never harbored ill-feelings towards KU. Then one night on the radio I listened to Bob Davis calling a KU game and I swear to God the guy ruined me on KU basketball forever. I mean like for a short time I would root for KU as long as they weren't playing MU but after hearing him.....JFC! I swear he makes every KU score sound like it was a half-court 3 at the buzzer and any, I mean any time something doesn't go KU's way you would swear the NCAA was out to get KU on purpose even.

As a KU fan i wouldn't trade Bob and his homerism for anything. You can tell exactly what is going on just by the tone of his voice. SWISHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Then you must never be at the PHOG. I swear everytime I watch or listen to a KU game and the ball doesn't bounce their way or they get called on a legit foul the boo's rain down like thunder. I understand all home fans do such but I think KU does it the best! :thumb:

ISU fans boo when a player gets hurt, KU fans only boo the 50/50 calls generally.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
As a KU fan i wouldn't trade Bob and his homerism for anything. You can tell exactly what is going on just by the tone of his voice. SWISHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob is passionate. Since he works for my team I love it but I can see why oppossing fans would be put off. Oh well.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Bob is passionate. Since he works for my team I love it but I can see why oppossing fans would be put off. Oh well.

The opposing fans would have a coronary if Bob were to officiate a KU game for sure, but I like it even if he does get me riled up over a call only to find out later it wasn't exactly how he described it. ;)

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I would expect Beakers to love their Bob. I can't stand him. Can't stand him as a KU announcer or a Royals announcer. Guy is fucking annoying. Listened to him during a Royals game one night and the old fucker went 13 minutes without ever giving a score. I heard more bullshit that I would ever care to know about players who no longer play and oh, every now and then he would remember a baseball game was going on.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I would expect Beakers to love their Bob. I can't stand him. Can't stand him as a KU announcer or a Royals announcer. Guy is ****ing annoying. Listened to him during a Royals game one night and the old ****er went 13 minutes without ever giving a score. I heard more bullshit that I would ever care to know about players who no longer play and oh, every now and then he would remember a baseball game was going on.

You would definitely be among the minority on the Royals thing, All of my Misery friends like Bob as the voice of the Royals.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I would expect Beakers to love their Bob. I can't stand him. Can't stand him as a KU announcer or a Royals announcer. Guy is ****ing annoying. Listened to him during a Royals game one night and the old ****er went 13 minutes without ever giving a score. I heard more bullshit that I would ever care to know about players who no longer play and oh, every now and then he would remember a baseball game was going on.

There can be a lot of time to fill in a baseball game... not that I'm saying Bob is great at it. 13 minutes without a score update is a bit much. I always loved listening to Dennys storys though... one of my favorite things about listening to the games.

DeezNutz
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
OHH THAT BALL IS WELL STRUCK; IT'S DEEEEEEP...and Magglio catches it at the start of the track. /Davis

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
OHH THAT BALL IS WELL STRUCK; IT'S DEEEEEEP...and Magglio catches it at the start of the track. /Davis

Well it's a big field... that is pretty deep.

:p

So Bob can't judge a fly ball.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM

LMAO spot the fuck on

petegz28
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Well it's a big field... that is pretty deep.

:p

So Bob can't judge a fly ball.

You hear Bob call that play though and you think the ball was spanked to the wall then you get home and see the replay and the mother fucker is standing in the middle of RF.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
And to put Bob in KU context it's like "Taylor shoots...AND HE HIT'S IT! What a dish from Teahan to hit Taylor right under the basket! KU IS REALLY STARTING TO PUT IT ON THE OTHER TEAM AS THEIR LEAD INCREASES TO 2 WITH 19:45 LEFT TO GO IN THE FIRST HALF!"

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
You hear Bob call that play though and you think the ball was spanked to the wall then you get home and see the replay and the mother ****er is standing in the middle of RF.

Yeah I know. Like I said Bob can't judge a fly ball.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah I know. Like I said Bob can't judge a fly ball.

Bob has a problem with excessive something or other.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Bob has a problem with excessive something or other.

He's passionate, heh.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Pete your black & gold is showing. :P

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
He's passionate, heh.

Yeah but it's like, dude, come on.

Withey hits a point blank shot .."AND WITHEY WITH THE SCORE! WHAT A SHOT!"

Opponent makes a huge contested 3 from way downtown at the shotclock buzzer...."And J'covan Brown hits a 3. You can't leave guys wide open for those easy 3's like that! Did he get that off before the buzzer? I can see why Self is hot, the Refs gotta take a look at that one" Then you see the replay and the guy clearly gets the shot off with a defender in his face from 10 ft behind the 3pt arc with 4 secs left on the shotclock....LMAO

I know a bit of an exageration but still...

mnchiefsguy
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
You would definitely be among the minority on the Royals thing, All of my Misery friends like Bob as the voice of the Royals.

Screw that. Give me Denny Mathews and Fred White seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Not a fan of Davis calling the Royals.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
http://tigerboard.com/uimages/user11077_51.jpg

and so it begins.........

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Ugh, no way. That guy sucks for calling baseball. I miss the Denny Trease and Denny Matthews combo.

mnchiefsguy
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Ugh, no way. That guy sucks for calling baseball. I miss the Denny Trease and Denny Matthews combo.

I thought it was Fred Mathews...I might have my announcers all mixed up. Anyhow, the old school Royals announcers on the radio were awesome..Bob Davis, not so much.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I thought it was Fred Mathews...I might have my announcers all mixed up. Anyhow, the old school Royals announcers on the radio were awesome..Bob Davis, not so much.

You're thinking Fred White I do believe. Not to be confused with Frank White, who was not white. Fred White was white. Therefore no noteable relation. Totally different White's altogether.

patteeu
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Bob Davis might be the worst announcer I've ever heard.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Bob Davis might be the worst announcer I've ever heard.

Oh come on now...."ROBINSON FOR 3..........and it's an airball"

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Bob Davis has to be KU's Bob Uecker.....

"TAYLOR PUTS UP A 3...." (ball falls short touching no rim) "JUUUust a bit soft on that one"

"Boy, how do these shots not fall? Tough rims at the fieldhouse today!"

KC_Connection
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
The last time MU beat KU by over 10 points in basketball was over a decade ago (and that was only a 12 PT win). There's little reason to think it will happen on Saturday. KU is far too good this year to allow that to happen.

It should be close...far too close for me to try to predict a winner.

Pitt Gorilla
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
You would definitely be among the minority on the Royals thing, All of my Misery friends like Bob as the voice of the Royals.Disagree. I literally know of zero Royals fans that like Davis at all. Denny was the absolute best and Bob is the absolute worst. It doesn't take much of an understanding of baseball to get that.

mnchiefsguy
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
The last time MU beat KU by over 10 points in basketball was over a decade ago (and that was only a 12 PT win). There's little reason to think it will happen on Saturday. KU is far too good this year to allow that to happen.

It should be close...far too close for me to try to predict a winner.

I don't see a blowout happening on either side. Two highly ranked teams and conference rivals, should be a helluva game, and it will come down to the very end.

Imon Yourside
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Disagree. I literally know of zero Royals fans that like Davis at all. Denny was the absolute best and Bob is the absolute worst. It doesn't take much of an understanding of baseball to get that.

A lot of folks like his passion, I agree he doesn't give the score often enough even during Basketball games.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hmmmmmm...interesting thread.

This must be unfamiliar territory.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
A lot of folks like his passion, I agree he doesn't give the score often enough even during Basketball games.

13 minutes! The Wife and I timed him when we were driving home one night and I was getting pissed cause he wouldn't say the damn score. I heard where the opposing pitcher grew up, some quirky shit about his childhood, some non-baseball related crap, something about a game Denny called back when Brett played. We wen through an entire 1/2 inning without getting the score and THEN..THEN all I got as they Royals finished batting was "and we head to the top of the 5th with the Royals still ahead by 1". :banghead:

Pitt Gorilla
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
A lot of folks like his passion, I agree he doesn't give the score often enough even during Basketball games.Who are these people? How did they feel about Denny's "passion"?

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Hmmmmmm...interesting thread.

This must be unfamiliar territory.

They're pretty excited. It's cute isn't it?

:D

petegz28
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Who are these people? How did they feel about Denny's "passion"?

Denny's passion? LMAO

And there's a drive to RF...back goes Ordonez....and gone....

Davis...

"THERE'S A DRIVE TO DEEP RF AND....he caught it"
"Must've been the wind, Denny.."

"We're in a dome, Bob!"

ROFL

petegz28
02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
They're pretty excited. It's cute isn't it?

:D

Dude, you can't tell me with KU and MU being #1 & #2 in the Big 12 and this being MU's last year in the Big 12 that this game doesn't have a little more excitement to it than usual?

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Dude, you can't tell me with KU and MU being #1 & #2 in the Big 12 and this being MU's last year in the Big 12 that this game doesn't have a little more excitement to it than usual?

Sure it is but I can still get my little dig in to MU fans can't I? LOL.

Btw it's not even hard to call me on my bullshit here... I'm a Royals fan excited about the upcoming season. Cardinals fans can call that cute.

:)

KC_Connection
02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, it matters as much as any regular season college basketball game does (which is to say, not much). It won't have any effect on how well either team does in the March crapshoot tournament. In terms of the conference race, though, it could loom quite large, particularly for MU. A loss really hurts any chance they have in the conference race, but a win puts them in a tie for the lead with KU having the more difficult schedule down the stretch.

KU and MU will play again eventually in the future, so I don't really view these last 2 games as the end of a rivalry or anything like that.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Well, it matters as much as any regular season college basketball game does (which is to say, not much). It won't have any effect on how well either team does in the March crapshoot tournament. In terms of the conference race, though, it could loom quite large, particularly for MU. A loss really hurts any chance they have in the conference race, but a win puts them in a tie for the lead with KU having the more difficult schedule down the stretch.

KU and MU will play again eventually in the future, so I don't really view these last 2 games as the end of a rivalry or anything like that.

Hoenstly I don't care about the Big 12 title. It's a bragging rights thing, sure. I am more focused on getting a #1 or #2 seed in the Tourney. Even if we lost twice to KU, which is nothing to hang your head about, I think we still can rank high enough for that goal.

SAUTO
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Well I'd like to watch but my kiddo has a regional pom pon competition out of town and I'm a better dad than a sports fan.

:thumb: props for that homie.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Dude, can you imagine, playing 4 times this year? Twice in conference, once in the Big 12 and then the ultimate KU/MU homer dream to have KU and MU faceoff for the NC?

Typically that would be a pipedream but I think both KU and MU can beat Cuse, Kentucky and Ohio State so depending on the bracketing It's just as possible as any other dream matchup.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Hoenstly I don't care about the Big 12 title. It's a bragging rights thing, sure. I am more focused on getting a #1 or #2 seed in the Tourney. Even if we lost twice to KU, which is nothing to hang your head about, I think we still can rank high enough for that goal.

I think MU has a good shot at a 1 seed... at least a 2.

I also think a conference title is a worthy thing, I don't care what anyone says. KU has won several and they're all special to me. Doesn't matter if we have bigger dreams. It's a nice thing to do and it means a lot imo. Should mean a lot to anyone else.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
props for that homie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks but it's just what a parent is suppossed to do... no biggie.

KC_Connection
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I care about the conference title. A consistent season of success is more indicative of how good your team is than a few games in March are. And besides, it would be nice to keep the streak going. If Haith's Mizzou team was able to break it, I'd have a lot of respect for them.

Both MU and KU should at least get #2 seeds regardless of the outcome of their games against each other (the Big 12 champion generally gets a #1). High seeds are by no means a guarantee of success, though, as any KU (or Duke, UK, or UNC) fan knows.

KC_Connection
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Dude, can you imagine, playing 4 times this year? Twice in conference, once in the Big 12 and then the ultimate KU/MU homer dream to have KU and MU faceoff for the NC?

Typically that would be a pipedream but I think both KU and MU can beat Cuse, Kentucky and Ohio State so depending on the bracketing It's just as possible as any other dream matchup.
They could easily play in the B12 tournament, but there are too many possible pitfalls in the NCAA tournament for me to expect they'll play again there. One of them will no doubt go down earlier than expected, if not both.

But yeah, as far as a homer dream goes, that would be nice.

SAUTO
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks but it's just what a parent is suppossed to do... no biggie.

I've got little ones, I know.

But there are a lot nowadays that dont get it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I've got little ones, I know.

But there are a lot nowadays that dont get it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sadly thats true. I can't imagine missing something my kid is doing to watch a game or even worse just because you're too lazy to get off your ass and go. Being there means a lot to them and besides that it's fun for me.

joesomebody
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
So Coach Haith is trying to get this game to be civil... He's new. Forgive him.

http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=297014

Molitoth
02-03-2012, 02:45 PM
haha. Haith mentions to say MIZ-ZOU instead of MIZ-FKU.

ChiTown
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Sadly thats true. I can't imagine missing something my kid is doing to watch a game or even worse just because you're too lazy to get off your ass and go. Being there means a lot to them and besides that it's fun for me.

Amen!

There is not a college or pro game that would make me want to skip one of my kids events - sports or otherwise. When I'm on my death bed rolling thru the memories of my life, it sure as **** won't be that Chiefs Raiders game of YOR that im thinking about. I hope to see both of my Son's faces and remember all of the times we spent together, and all the times I watched them grow up doing their thing. Anyone that's not placing a high priority on that is completely missing the boat. JMHO

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Mizzou is a 3 point favorite.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
This thread is just shocking I tell you. Nobody gives a crap about basketball, remember?

O.city
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
So is 3 points becaue Miz is at home?

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
So is 3 points becaue Miz is at home?

Pretty much a toss-up otherwise, yes.

Frazod
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
This thread is just shocking I tell you. Nobody gives a crap about basketball, remember?

I still hope we kick your ass, though.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I still hope we kick your ass, though.

Better get your licks in while you can, the Jayhawks had a roster go to the NBA last year. These kids are getting better, but this may be your shot.
I hope it is a good game, the Tigers look very strong.

baitism
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Better get your licks in while you can, the Jayhawks had a roster go to the NBDL last year. These kids are getting better, but this may be your shot.
I hope it is a good game, the Tigers look very strong.

Fixed it for you.

Bambi
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
KU can finish off the Championship with a victory tomorrow night.

A loss and it gets a bit tougher but still very attainable.

Should be fun.

Bambi
02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Obsessed much?

Fans chirping over what could be last KU-Mizzou basketball game in Columbia
By Andy Hyland

As Kansas University and the University of Missouri are ready to meet on the basketball court for what could be one of the last times, the game came with the usual amount of sniping.

The Missouri Alumni Association held a contest where fans could win tickets to Saturday night’s game against “kU,” as they referred to it, by entering and listing “three reasons why I’m not a Jayhawk.”

More than 2,700 people participated in the contest. Jack E. Kinney Jr., a 1969 journalism alumnus of the school, won.

His reasons? His late uncle Bob said the best school for a Missourian is MU, and Tigers are better than “some goofy bird.”

Other submitted reasons will be posted online later.

“(Former Missouri basketball coach) Norm Stewart would not let his teams eat or sleep in Kansas. Whatever Stormin’ Norman says is good enough for me,” Kinney wrote.

Todd McCubbin, executive director of the MU Alumni Association, said the contest could “definitely can slip into some not fun areas if we’re not careful.”

The association is also using the week to boost membership, pointing out that it has the fourth-highest members in the conference, trailing KU.

“I think it’s fair game and we have some fun with it,” McCubbin said of the rivalry. “It has driven some membership, there’s no doubt, this week.”

Kevin Corbett, president of the KU Alumni Association, said this kind of tactic is nothing new.

“It’s at least the third campaign they’ve run to try and recruit more members than the KU Alumni Association,” he said.

It hasn’t worked so far, he pointed out.

But it wasn’t all sniping this week.

Xavier Billingsley, president of the Missouri Students Association, distributed a letter to the university community asking fans to avoid committing “some act of ignorance against our opponents.”

“Keep your eyes and ears open this week,” he wrote. “And if you see an example of insensitive fan behavior or encounter words or actions unbefitting Mizzou, make sure the students behind that ignorance know you don’t appreciate it.”

— Higher education reporter Andy Hyland can be reached at 832-6388. Follow him at Twitter.com/LJW_KU.

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Obsessed much?

Fans chirping over what could be last KU-Mizzou basketball game in Columbia
By Andy Hyland

As Kansas University and the University of Missouri are ready to meet on the basketball court for what could be one of the last times, the game came with the usual amount of sniping.

The Missouri Alumni Association held a contest where fans could win tickets to Saturday night’s game against “kU,” as they referred to it, by entering and listing “three reasons why I’m not a Jayhawk.”

More than 2,700 people participated in the contest. Jack E. Kinney Jr., a 1969 journalism alumnus of the school, won.

His reasons? His late uncle Bob said the best school for a Missourian is MU, and Tigers are better than “some goofy bird.”

Other submitted reasons will be posted online later.

“(Former Missouri basketball coach) Norm Stewart would not let his teams eat or sleep in Kansas. Whatever Stormin’ Norman says is good enough for me,” Kinney wrote.

Todd McCubbin, executive director of the MU Alumni Association, said the contest could “definitely can slip into some not fun areas if we’re not careful.”

The association is also using the week to boost membership, pointing out that it has the fourth-highest members in the conference, trailing KU.

“I think it’s fair game and we have some fun with it,” McCubbin said of the rivalry. “It has driven some membership, there’s no doubt, this week.”

Kevin Corbett, president of the KU Alumni Association, said this kind of tactic is nothing new.

“It’s at least the third campaign they’ve run to try and recruit more members than the KU Alumni Association,” he said.

It hasn’t worked so far, he pointed out.

But it wasn’t all sniping this week.

Xavier Billingsley, president of the Missouri Students Association, distributed a letter to the university community asking fans to avoid committing “some act of ignorance against our opponents.”

“Keep your eyes and ears open this week,” he wrote. “And if you see an example of insensitive fan behavior or encounter words or actions unbefitting Mizzou, make sure the students behind that ignorance know you don’t appreciate it.”

— Higher education reporter Andy Hyland can be reached at 832-6388. Follow him at Twitter.com/LJW_KU.

Reading an article about MU fans and posting it in an MU thread? Yes, you're obsessed much.

Pitt Gorilla
02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Obsessed much?Clearly, you are.

Frazod
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I might as well get in the spirit of things.

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/hshaebr/scoreboard.jpg

SAUTO
02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Good luck to both team's respective fans tomorrow.

Lets hope it is a good game
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/hshaebr/scoreboard.jpg

Hell yeah. A great game between two proud basketball schools brings this stuff out.

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WQqA5c_Upn0/TUhWFkviRLI/AAAAAAAAA8U/woRCDINEkzU/s640/KU+Basketball_KU+vs.+KState_Humorous.JPG

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2006/04/02/Gay_pride_parade_sign_t440.jpg?9e2a24ba44807f8f9b96aad7c4082bf6ded075dc

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/50353_2229284566_4080_n.jpg

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
http://media.bonnint.net/dado/oss-trav/1/108/10831.jpg?filter=resize&w=400

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/files.php?pid=1411166&aid=72327

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197011_213927568623441_213922065290658_964210_3562979_n.jpg

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229691_1021079169749_1308271045_30315065_4112_n.jpg

Bambi
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WQqA5c_Upn0/TUhWFkviRLI/AAAAAAAAA8U/woRCDINEkzU/s640/KU+Basketball_KU+vs.+KState_Humorous.JPG

Lol

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 07:50 PM
http://f1s1b.olapic.com/data/media/a/v/3/av3c5s/championship-banners-in-allen-fieldhouse-campus-beauty_normal.jpg

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:51 PM
http://f1s1b.olapic.com/data/media/a/v/3/av3c5s/championship-banners-in-allen-fieldhouse-campus-beauty_normal.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ewnA5w0DL5E/TX2phTuRRyI/AAAAAAAAAGU/VFrzLwAtfZ0/s400/KU%2Bis%2Bgay

Dartgod
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
What is the difference between a KU cheerleader and a catfish?

A: One has whiskers and smells, the other is a fish.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
What is the difference between a MU cheerleader and a catfish?

Good one.

Bambi
02-03-2012, 08:17 PM
MU is all in on this game. Should be fun

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
MU is all in on this game. Should be fun

What does that even mean?

Captain Obvious
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Heh, can't wait to hear a well constructed answer.

crispystl
02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Heh, can't wait to hear a well constructed answer.

This is our biggest home basketball game ever. The campus buzz is insane. We're all in!

crispystl
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
We win this game and we have the inside track. It's there for the taking.

mnchiefsguy
02-03-2012, 09:29 PM

He has been buying into that bullcrap the KK has been spouting all week about how this game is more important to Mizzou than a final four appearance.

Saul Good
02-03-2012, 09:34 PM
He has been buying into that bullcrap the KK has been spouting all week about how this game is more important to Mizzou than a final four appearance.

This game is the bonus round as far as I'm concerned. After landing DGB, everything else is just gravy.

Pablo
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
This game is the bonus round as far as I'm concerned. After landing DGB, everything else is just gravy.

Just curious. Is this how the rest of you MU fans feel too? This game and basketball rivalry are second rate to landing DGB?

Chiefs Pantalones
02-03-2012, 11:14 PM
MU's Super Bowl!!! Will MU make t-shirts if they win?

KcMizzou
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Just curious. Is this how the rest of you MU fans feel too? This game and basketball rivalry are second rate to landing DGB?Landing DGB is awesome. HUGE for Mizzou football. In the grand scheme of things, it's bigger than any one game in any sport.

That said, hell yeah, This game tomorrow important to me. It's huge. I want this. I refuse to act like it doesn't matter.

KcMizzou
02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
MU's Super Bowl!!! Will MU make t-shirts if they win?You're a caricature of a KU fan.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Kimmie got his wish.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421199_10150576354422390_17614787389_8945139_555062276_n.jpg

Imon Yourside
02-04-2012, 01:46 AM
MU's Super Bowl!!! Will MU make t-shirts if they win?

Bucknell on the front/Mu on the back.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Kim English : "We'll reconcile it by winning."

Not to put it all on him, but he said that, and they have.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 02:24 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396340_10150643772833894_532998893_11208330_148199389_n.jpg

Chief_in_Commander
02-04-2012, 02:27 AM
What is the difference between a KU cheerleader and a catfish?

Why does Mizzou's golf course only have 14 holes??

Cause no one there can ever reach the final 4.

jab0450
02-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Three guys, a Tiger, a Jayhawk, and a Longhorn walking along the beach together one day. They come across a lantern and a Genie pops out of it. "I will give you each one wish, that's three wishes total," says the Genie. The Longhorn says, "I am studying to be a farmer, my dad was a farmer and my son will also farm. I want the land in Texas to forever be fertile. With a blink of the Genie's eye, 'POOF' the land across Texas was made forever fertile. The Jayhawk was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around Lawrence, so that no one can come into our precious city." Again, with a blink of the Genie's eye, 'POOF' there was a huge wall around Lawrence. The Tigers says, "I'm very courious. Please tell me more about this wall." The Genie explains, "Well, it's about 150 feet high, 50 feet thick and nothing can get in or out." The Tiger says, "Fill it with water."

kstater
02-04-2012, 06:32 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400037_3205267820449_1528764696_33113974_471298158_n.jpg

Pablo
02-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Landing DGB is awesome. HUGE for Mizzou football. In the grand scheme of things, it's bigger than any one game in any sport.

That said, hell yeah, This game tomorrow important to me. It's huge. I want this. I refuse to act like it doesn't matter.

Gotcha.

I'd be pretty fucking amped if KU landed the best baller in the nation this week, but it wouldn't diminish the importance or excitement of this game for me at all.

ExtremeChief
02-04-2012, 08:08 AM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409081_3151269901588_1260349317_33308995_108572754_n.jpg

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Gotcha.

I'd be pretty ****ing amped if KU landed the best baller in the nation this week, but it wouldn't diminish the importance or excitement of this game for me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to win this game. I'm just not going to get overly worked up about it. Even if w win, I'm not going to be half as excited as I was when DGB announced.

Messier
02-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I like Kim English a lot. And I'm worried about him in this game, but he's a really nice guy, and just saw him put Jack Harry in his place.

Way-to-go!

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Just curious. Is this how the rest of you MU fans feel too? This game and basketball rivalry are second rate to landing DGB?

Yup, not even close.

In college basketball, a single regular season game will never truly be all that critical. I'll be irritated if we lose this game (because we shouldn't), but ultimately we're still going to the tournament and we're still going to have a solid seed, even with a loss.

If this were an Elite 8 game, it'd be more important than DGB. But as a regular season game no, it does not matter nearly as much as landing the #1 college football recruit in the country.

petegz28
02-04-2012, 10:04 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396340_10150643772833894_532998893_11208330_148199389_n.jpg

:LOL:LMAOROFL:LOL:

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Yup, not even close.

In college basketball, a single regular season game will never truly be all that critical. I'll be irritated if we lose this game (because we shouldn't), but ultimately we're still going to the tournament and we're still going to have a solid seed, even with a loss.

If this were an Elite 8 game, it'd be more important than DGB. But as a regular season game no, it does not matter nearly as much as landing the #1 college football recruit in the country.

Would you rather make a FF and not land DGB than the other way around? I wouldn't unless we won the title.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Kimmie got his wish.

When Kim decides he's done with basketball, I'll be extremely disappointed if MU doesn't make a major major push to keep him in the family.

He could probably be a premier radio/television guy, but I'd rather see him come onboard to become a homegrown head-coach possibility.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Would you rather make a FF and not land DGB than the other way around? I wouldn't unless we won the title.

I'd rather make a Final Four.

College sports are still played on the field/floor. DGB may help win us a divisional championship. Then again - he may not.

If the choice is between a Final 4 or football conference championship - I'll take the championship.

But if it's just 1 player vs. a Final 4 - I want that Final 4.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Dave Matter's tweet:

If I just woke up from a coma and watched GameDay I'd ask, "Wait, why would Kansas want to end this series?" Then I'd ask "What is a DGB?"

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Wow.

Signatures are more important than wins?

Things all of a sudden make a lot more sense around here...

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Competitors play. ku is not a competitor since they are unwilling to play MU, per College Gameday.

Shagworthy
02-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Just now on gameday. "I feel like if we lost every game, but won this one, it would be a successful season." - Kim English

MU's Superbowl confirmed.

Messier
02-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Competitors play. ku is not a competitor since they are unwilling to play MU, per College Gameday.

They also drafted 4 Tigers out of 15 players in a three team draft. They're in Columbia.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
English on Dixon - "He likes a lot of Tri Delts and Delta Gammas." LMAO

Reerun_KC
02-04-2012, 10:53 AM
They also drafted 4 Tigers out of 15 players in a three team draft. They're in Columbia.

well fantasy is much more fun than reality...

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow.

Football recruits versus basketball wins? I'll take the football recruits.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Kansas is going to take a load all over Mizzou today. You guys know that right?

Imon Yourside
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM

I'll take both! /KU

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 12:00 PM
GO I-O-W-A!

Imon Yourside
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Also...Bill Snyder hates this line of thinking.

Braincase
02-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Wow.

They're putting up a banner. Should we put one up for swiping the top basketball recruit in Missouri last year?

Silock
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Even with DGB, it's the 11th rated class in the SEC... why is everyone so pumped? Vanderbilt had a better recruiting class than MU . . .

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Even with DGB, it's the 11th rated class in the SEC... why is everyone so pumped? Vanderbilt had a better recruiting class than MU . . .

We got the all time passing leader in high school history.

We also got the all time receiving leader in high school history.

The team is going to be loaded next year. The ranking is low because it was a small class. That's fine because we don't have a lot of holes, and it leaves us more scholarships for next year.

Silock
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM
If you say so. That's still only 1 5-star and 1 4-star. Not saying you guys shouldn't be excited about the guys, but I think it's going to take a lot more to be even *competitive* in the SEC.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 12:52 PM
If you say so. That's still only 1 5-star and 1 4-star. Not saying you guys shouldn't be excited about the guys, but I think it's going to take a lot more to be even *competitive* in the SEC.

Your concern is duly noted.

tredadda
02-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Final Four and it is not even close. As good as DGB is, a final four easily trumps it. DGB wont win us any NCG and we have to wait till next year to see how much of an impact he has on our recruiting. We have 0 zero final four appearances ever. That will do more good for at least BB recruiting than DGB will do for CFB recruiting.

tredadda
02-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Mizzou's recruiting class is ranked low because of the quantity of recruits. In terms of quality, they ranked much higher.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Don't forget how circular the Rivals ratings are.

When Notre Dame was considered the front-runner for Mauk, it was a given that it was just a matter of time before Mauk ended up a 4-star. He went out there and set the world on fire as a Senior but still didn't get that 4th star after signing with Mizzou. It wasn't because of his performance.

Rivals will concede that they base part of their ratings on what schools are pursuing a player. Every year there are several players that get stars added because they go to Alabama or Oklahoma or whatever. So to a degree, teams like Alabama get 3 or 4 extra 'stars' each year by virtue of the fact that they're chasing the kid.

Ultimately, the difference between the top 1/2 of the 3 stars and the bottom 1/2 of the 4 stars is nominal at best. That's where most classes come from for all but the 'blue-blood' power programs.

Ultimately, I'd rather have 2 5-stars and a ton of 3 high 3-stars, than to have 4 4-stars and a bunch of 3-stars.

Getting that 5-star, a clearly elite talent, is more critical than getting a couple of extra 4-stars (guys who are just a little better than the 3-stars, if better at all).

That's not to say I'm not disappointed with the class, but it has nothing to do with the 'star' ratings. I think we lost on a couple of undervalued DTs and a couple of O-lineman that would've all been very nice players for us. All of them were 3-star kids, but they were kids with projectable frames and nice pedigrees that I expected to outperform those rankings.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Mizzou's recruiting class is ranked low because of the quantity of recruits. In terms of quality, they ranked much higher.

Not really. They only move up to 8 in terms of 'quantity'.

If you're looking at Rivals and trying to judge Mizzou's class by that, you're going to be disappointed. There's not a way to spin the scouting service rankings in a way that helps Mizzou out a great deal.

It was DGB, Mauk, Boehm and a bunch of JAGs according to Rivals. That said, I think a lot of those 4-star guys are no more/less JAGS than a bunch of the 3-star guys.

The rankings are overrated.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Why are you guys even comparing FF to landing DGB? Are you serious? You would rather land a kid who is very young and you don't even know if he can even preform in a College atmosphere. Rather then Mizzou representing in the Final Four... Wow...

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

If you're looking at Rivals and trying to judge Mizzou's class by that, you're going to be disappointed. There's not a way to spin the scouting service rankings in a way that helps Mizzou out a great deal.

It was DGB, Mauk, Boehm and a bunch of JAGs according to Rivals. That said, I think a lot of those 4-star guys are no more/less JAGS than a bunch of the 3-star guys.

Agreed. I think Pinkel and his staff have shown that they know how to find guys that fit their system and coach them up. This was evident back when we were getting 2 and 3 star guys. Now, we only recruited a single 2 star while getting a 4 star and the best player in the country. That's in a year in which we lost several of our recruits, as we had pitched them on playing in Texas.

tredadda
02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Moving up 8 spots in quality is actually pretty significant. It gives us a top 25 recruiting class. I prefer quality over quantity. When I say quality I do not necessarily mean 5 star talent. I am happy with a bunch of solid 3 stars. If you look back on some of our old rankings you might be surprised at how some of our players were ranked. One that sticks out that I remember is Weatherspoon who had zero stars and was rated as a 40 overall. He turned out very good and ended up being a first round pick. HCGP does a good job with under the radar players which is why class rankings don't mean a whole lot to me. He will need to prove it if we are going to achieve sustained success in the SEC. We should compete this year and possibly next, but after that we will see.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Why are you guys even comparing FF to landing DGB? Are you serious? You would rather land a kid who is very young and you don't even know if he can even preform in a College atmosphere. Rather then Mizzou representing in the Final Four... Wow...

Because football matters a lot more to me than basketball. Take a look at the #1 overall recruits in the past decade. You'll find guys like Vince Young, Matt Barkley, and Adrian Peterson.

tredadda
02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Because football matters a lot more to me than basketball. Take a look at the #1 overall recruits in the past decade. You'll find guys like Vince Young, Matt Barkley, and Adrian Peterson.

Look at the programs they played for and the recruiting classes they came in with. Mizzou is not at their level in any way as of right now.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Moving up 8 spots in quality is actually pretty significant. It gives us a top 25 recruiting class. I prefer quality over quantity. When I say quality I do not necessarily mean 5 star talent. I am happy with a bunch of solid 3 stars. If you look back on some of our old rankings you might be surprised at how some of our players were ranked. One that sticks out that I remember is Weatherspoon who had zero stars and was rated as a 40 overall. He turned out very good and ended up being a first round pick. HCGP does a good job with under the radar players which is why class rankings don't mean a whole lot to me. He will need to prove it if we are going to achieve sustained success in the SEC. We should compete this year and possibly next, but after that we will see.

You misunderstand me, or perhaps I did a poor job of explaining.

We move from 11 in the conference to 8 based on the average 'strength of stars' ranking. Our average recruit is something like a 3.11 star; only nominally better than Vanderbilt and Kentucky. From a 'stars' standpoint, the quality isn't even really that spectacular.

Don't look at the rankings if you're wanting to defend this class. There are ways to do it, but it ain't with Rivals or Scout.

It's by pointing out that a guy like L'Damian Washington, 2-star recruit, is likely to be better when all is said and done than Bud Sasser or Jimmy Hunt, the 4-star studs we got in 2010. Or even that 4-star recruit we got out of Texas. Or yeah, by pointing out that Spoon was a 1-star 'athlete' that we simply coached into a stud.

But it's also fair to be honest - the class was underwhelming outside of DGB and Mauk. If you got the coaching staff in a moment of candor, I think they'd say the same.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Look at the programs they played for and the recruiting classes they came in with. Mizzou is not at their level in any way as of right now.

What's your point? You don't think having a Calvin Johnson type WR on our team will come in handy?

O.city
02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
With what Mizzou already had on the roster they added a potential Calvin Johnson type prospect, I'd say it was a good offseason. Not great in that they lost some guys that could have really turned out but solid.

I'm of a different breed. Grew up in a split househould in that mom was a KU fan and dad is a MU guy.

I went the KU way because of basketball but I have alot of respect for the Tiger football program and tend to hope for them to have success.

Funny story in that I think dad had a chance to go to the game today in Columbia and asked if I was interested. I politely declined as I don't think I would have been accepted in Mizzou arena with my Hawk apparel very well. I think mom and dad are gonna make the trip up to KC and go to AFH for the OK. State game. Dad's not too excited about it but he said he could suffer thru it.

ANyway back to the subject. Dorial is a great get for the TIger program.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 01:30 PM
You misunderstand me, or perhaps I did a poor job of explaining.

We move from 11 in the conference to 8 based on the average 'strength of stars' ranking. Our average recruit is something like a 3.11 star; only nominally better than Vanderbilt and Kentucky. From a 'stars' standpoint, the quality isn't even really that spectacular.

Don't look at the rankings if you're wanting to defend this class. There are ways to do it, but it ain't with Rivals or Scout.

It's by pointing out that a guy like L'Damian Washington, 2-star recruit, is likely to be better when all is said and done than Bud Sasser or Jimmy Hunt, the 4-star studs we got in 2010. Or even that 4-star recruit we got out of Texas. Or yeah, by pointing out that Spoon was a 1-star 'athlete' that we simply coached into a stud.

But it's also fair to be honest - the class was underwhelming outside of DGB and Mauk. If you got the coaching staff in a moment of candor, I think they'd say the same.

I think the staff really likes this class. I'm sure they'd have liked a couple more players, but there are some nice pieces in there.

We got studs at Guard/Tackle, QB, and WR. That alone makes it a nice haul.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 01:31 PM

You guys actually think your recruits are gonna turn your program around... LOL...
Your program is garbage right now... Couple freshman is not going to change much.. But anyways good luck.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
You guys actually think your recruits are gonna turn your program around... LOL...
Your program is garbage right now... Couple freshman is not going to change much.. But anyways good luck.

7 straight bowl games and the number 1 recruit in the country along with a move to the SEC, and we're garbage?

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM

When you started to get a hard-on after Milkman and dipshit started slinging dick-jokes at each other, I suspected you might be a mouth-breathing imbecile.

After paying more attention to your posts thereafter, I think that hunch stands confirmed.

You really aren't very bright, are you? Whatever, not wasting my time with a run of the mill troll. You're just another flame-bating half-wit that can't put a coherent argument together; hardly worth anyone's time.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM
7 straight bowl games and the number 1 recruit in the country along with a move to the SEC, and we're garbage?

Stop, just stop.

Seriously, he's another Pawnsmoker. Go look in that OC thread - he and 50/50 are essentially opposite sides of the same coin. He's just a bomb-thrower; don't let him divert the thread. Put him on ignore and move along.

O.city
02-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Those guys did end up at some of the "blue bloods" of CFB and came in with loaded classes.

I think Dorial will help the Tiger program more in the fact that he will show similar recruits that it is ok to go to MIzzou.

IMO thats the reason Alabama, LSU, USC etc. can stay that good. They don't just get the top guy, they get multiple guys that are at the top. I think that is what this get could do for Mizzou.

Of course it could go hte other way in that this is just a one hit wonder. I hope not but you never can tell. In the end these are 18 year old kids making these decisions.

tredadda
02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
What's your point? You don't think having a Calvin Johnson type WR on our team will come in handy?

Yes I do think that he is a great get, but one of the reasons that Peterson, Barkley, and VY have succeeded like they did was because of the talent around them. They went to programs that were consistently stocked. That is where I want Mizzou to get to, but they are not there yet. On one of those programs, DGB would be even beastly-er.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Not sure how well you are going to compete in the SEC... Prolly won't even make .500...
Still can't understand why you suspect a number 1 recruit will change everything. He hasn't even stepped foot on a College field. Do you guys even add the possibilty of him being a bust?

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes I do think that he is a great get, but one of the reasons that Peterson, Barkley, and VY have succeeded like they did was because of the talent around them. They went to programs that were consistently stocked. That is where I want Mizzou to get to, but they are not there yet. On one of those programs, DGB would be even beastly-er.

If Franklin develops and Mauk is as advertised, then pairing DGB w/ the skill position players he has around him, especially if Josey comes back healthy, will give him as much chance to succeed as Peterson, Barkley or VY ever had.

If Mizzou fails, it won't be because of their offensive skill position players. It'll end up being because they can't run the football against those big lines in the SEC and they can't stop the run; they could just get 'out-physicaled' down there. He'll have better talent around him than guys like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald ever had.

The offensive talent among the skill position players is world-class. They truly can run with the big dogs in that regard; the question is the big uglies in the trenches.

Fritz88
02-04-2012, 01:43 PM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/17560702/view/1/type/png/width/280/height/280/muck-fizzou-throwback-181.png

O.city
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm anxious to see how Mizzou's offense translates against he Alabama's and the LSU's of the world who have world class athletes on the defensive side. Not saying it will fail just curious.

I'm also worried that Josey won't ever be himself again. If it was just the ACL i'd say it's pretty pessimistic to say he won't but with the Patella and the MCL added it's gonna be a long road.

It really is all about the trenches for MIzzou, especially the dline. Look how many dlineman come out of the SEC and make it to the NFL. IMO they need to focus on taking some of the great athletes they get and putting them on the defensive side.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Not sure how well you are going to compete in the SEC... Prolly won't even make .500...
Still can't understand why you suspect a number 1 recruit will change everything. He hasn't even stepped foot on a College field. Do you guys even add the possibilty of him being a bust?

Change everything? We aren't KU. We aren't trying to build a terrible program up to something great. We're trying to build a very strong program into something even better.

I'd rather compete against the best. If I wanted to root for a team that got wins against crappy competition, I'd pull for Northwest Missouri State.

As for the bust factor, the worst #1 recruit in the last decade went in the third round. I'm not too worried a bout a 6'5 225 WR who runs a 4.4 and holds the record for most career receiving yards in the history of high school football being a bust. He might get hurt, but he's not going to fail due to lack of talent.

8 wins has become the baseline for Mizzou football. We did that after losing underclassmen at DE and QB who went top 10 in the NFL draft and had to start a true Soph at QB.

Don't worry about Mizzou football. We're doing just fine without you.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Stop, just stop.

Seriously, he's another Pawnsmoker. Go look in that OC thread - he and 50/50 are essentially opposite sides of the same coin. He's just a bomb-thrower; don't let him divert the thread. Put him on ignore and move along.

Pawn's one of my favorite posters, actually.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Makes sense.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Change everything? We aren't KU. We aren't trying to build a terrible program up to something great. We're trying to build a very strong program into something even better.

I'd rather compete against the best. If I wanted to root for a team that got wins against crappy competition, I'd pull for Northwest Missouri State.

As for the bust factor, the worst #1 recruit in the last decade went in the third round. I'm not too worried a bout a 6'5 225 WR who runs a 4.4 and holds the record for most career receiving yards in the history of high school football being a bust. He might get hurt, but he's not going to fail due to lack of talent.

8 wins has become the baseline for Mizzou football. We did that after losing underclassmen at DE and QB who went top 10 in the NFL draft and had to start a true Soph at QB.

Don't worry about Mizzou football. We're doing just fine without you.

8 wins per season is going to turn into 5 wins per season once you begin your SEC play. There is a huge difference between the Big 12 and the SEC...

Bambi
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Wow. Maybe one day when you reach greatness you'll realize how idiotic this line of thought is.

#1 recruits are great, but they don't compare to achievement.

Don't be scared to succeed.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm anxious to see how Mizzou's offense translates against he Alabama's and the LSU's of the world who have world class athletes on the defensive side. Not saying it will fail just curious.

I'm also worried that Josey won't ever be himself again. If it was just the ACL i'd say it's pretty pessimistic to say he won't but with the Patella and the MCL added it's gonna be a long road.

It really is all about the trenches for MIzzou, especially the dline. Look how many dlineman come out of the SEC and make it to the NFL. IMO they need to focus on taking some of the great athletes they get and putting them on the defensive side.

Ofcourse it's going to fail...

Fritz88
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Seconded.
Posted via Mobile Device

tredadda
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
8 wins per season is going to turn into 5 wins per season once you begin your SEC play. There is a huge difference between the Big 12 and the SEC...

Here's the issue with that. The SEC gets alot of hype because their best are clearly the best in the nation. The rest, not so much. Yes they have Alabama, LSU, Florida, Ark (to a point), Aub (to a point), SC (to a point) and UGA (to a point), but they also have Tenn, UK, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, and aTm. Mizzou might not be the best in the SEC next year, but outside of Bama and LSU there are no other teams in the SEC right now that are CLEARLY better than Mizzou. They should easily end up with more than 5 wins

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM

That's going to suck. I wish we could beat Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Ole Miss or Mississippi State or Tennessee or aTm.

Too bad we can only win 5 of these games.

North Texas at home
Some I-AA school TBD at home
at Central Florida
Georgia at home
Arizona State at home
at South Carolina
Vanderbilt at home
Alabama at home
Kentucky at home
at Florida
at Tennessee
at aTm

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Wow. Maybe one day when you reach greatness you'll realize how idiotic this line of thought is.

#1 recruits are great, but they don't compare to achievement.

Don't be scared to succeed.

How many jumpers did you personally knock down against Memphis?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
How many jumpers did you personally knock down against Memphis?

It's okay.

Maybe one of those high profile athletes will help you win a championship in either sport...someday.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
It's okay.

Maybe one of those high profile athletes will help you win a championship in either sport...someday.

Hopefully it's football.

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Here's the issue with that. The SEC gets alot of hype because their best are clearly the best in the nation. The rest, not so much. Yes they have Alabama, LSU, Florida, Ark (to a point), Aub (to a point), SC (to a point) and UGA (to a point), but they also have Tenn, UK, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, and aTm. Mizzou might not be the best in the SEC next year, but outside of Bama and LSU there are no other teams in the SEC right now that are CLEARLY better than Mizzou. They should easily end up with more than 5 wins

Correction... Outside of Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, and Georgia there are no other teams in the SEC.
Not seeing how you will beat any teams in the SEC besides UK and Ole Miss.

O.city
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I think the Tigers will be successful in the SEC. I think it might take a few years to become acclimated but I do think they will have a chance to be at the top of the East as soon as next year.

However, I think it will take a few years to get to the Alabama level, if that is possible for the Tigers.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Speaking of football in an MU basketball thread..

How have the Tigers finished in terms of rankings in the BigXII the past 7 seasons?

tredadda
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Correction... Outside of Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, and Georgia there are no other teams in the SEC.

Difference of opinion I guess as I don't think Ark, AU, or UGA are clearly better. Explain how you feel Mizzou can't compete in the SEC?

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Speaking of football in an MU basketball thread..

How have the Tigers finished in terms of rankings in the BigXII the past 7 seasons?

Exactly... They can't even compete at the BIG 12 level let alone the SEC level.
BIG 12 is crap compared to SEC.
Okay, you might get your 8 wins but whats that going to get you? A chance to go to the Gator Bowl?

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Difference of opinion I guess as I don't think Ark, AU, or UGA are clearly better. Explain how you feel Mizzou can't compete in the SEC?

SEC athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger then BIG 12 athletes.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Exactly... They can't even compete at the BIG 12 level let alone the SEC level.
BIG 12 is crap compared to SEC.
Okay, you might get your 8 wins but whats that going to get you? A chance to go to the Gator Bowl?

Now now....

Their program is improving while the other SEC schools remain status quo.

MU was ready to leave the BigXII for a tougher conference. They need better competition...I mean 7 straight bowl games! They are ready for a NC.

I think you will see them continue their winning ways in the SEC. Look at their dominance in the BigXII. They are ready...they have a real good WR now.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Mississippi State, Vandy, and Tennessee are really kicking ass, so we don't stand a chance there. I don't know how we're going to ever beat aTm even though we've beat them in their own barn the last 2 years by a combined 28 points and haven't lost to them since 2006.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Mississippi State, Vandy, and Tennessee are really kicking ass, so we don't stand a chance there. I don't know how we're going to ever beat aTm even though we've beat them in their own barn the last 2 years by a combined 28 points and haven't lost to them since 2006.

You're right!

Now is your chance!

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Oklahoma State just shit the bed. They were down 2 to Baylor with 7 seconds left. Baylor missed a FT, but OSU didn't even come close to getting the rebound.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Oklahoma State just shit the bed. They were down 2 to Baylor with 7 seconds left. Baylor missed a FT, but OSU didn't even come close to getting the rebound.

Too bad they could not have pulled that off.

O.city
02-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Yep,

Did you see when it appeared that Paige got fouled on the three?

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
You're right!

Now is your chance!

LOL at Mizzou fans thinking they can compete for anything in CFB.

Messier
02-04-2012, 03:00 PM

The bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the Big 12. MU was having a challenge winning the big 12 north, let alone the big 12 outright. MU is a good program, and they'll stay a good program in a conference where good is middle of the pack. Tennessee is a big time program that won't settle to be mediocre for long, same goes for most SEC schools.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 03:04 PM
The bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the Big 12. MU was having a challenge winning the big 12 north, let alone the big 12 outright. MU is a good program, and they'll stay a good program in a conference where good is middle of the pack. Tennessee is a big time program that won't settle to be mediocre for long, same goes for most SEC schools.

Yet here I sit unafraid. Strange...

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dude's a troll.

Messier
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Yet here I sit unafraid. Strange...

That's fine. I think it'll be fun, and if I were an MU fan I'd love it that we are gonna play all these big teams, I wouldn't expect to compete in a meaningful way, but it's kind of an honor just to be at the big boy table.

Saul Good
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
That's fine. I think it'll be fun, and if I were an MU fan I'd love it that we are gonna play all these big teams, I wouldn't expect to compete in a meaningful way, but it's kind of an honor just to be at the big boy table.

Nope. It's not an honor just to be there. It might seem that way for those left sucking Texas schlong, but I expect to win.

Messier
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Nope. It's not an honor just to be there. It might seem that way for those left sucking Texas schlong, but I expect to win.

Win what?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
...but I expect to win.

Eh...

Good luck!

baitism
02-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Try winning a conference game first. Baby steps, son.

KC_Connection
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
So is DGB the college football version of Josh Selby?

baitism
02-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Only time will tell. I think highly touted recruits are less likely to bust out in football vs basketball because so much of football is raw athleticism; you either have it or you don't. In basketball, so much of it is just being able to hit shots.

beer bacon
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Maty Mauk, Morgan Steward, and Donavin Newsome are all going to be great players. I don't care if Rivals rated them three stars. The way Rivals keeps waiting fantastic spread QB prospects so low is silly. If they're trying to rate prospects based on college potential, guys like Chase Daniel and Maty Mauk should have been four stars a a minimum.

beer bacon
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Nope. That was Bryce Brown.

beer bacon
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM

I wonder how many coaches Tennessee will go through before they find one that doesn't suck?

Messier
02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I wonder how many coaches Tennessee will go through before they find one that doesn't suck?

I don't know but they'll keep looking, and they'll be good again. You can't be average in the SEC, it's death.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Was Tenn considered a power in football before Fulmer and Manning? I always associated Fulmer with bringing high profile success to that program, and that started in what, the early 90's/late 80's?

Mizzou is not going to get there over night. But they will have the opportunity. Continue to improve in recruiting and on the field, and I think they can win the SEC.

Equal revenue sharing in SEC helps too. Mizzou will have more money to improve the facilities and the Mizzou brand. I think the future is much brighter for Mizzou than its rivals, and I think they just can't stand even the possibility that Mizzou just might make the jump up to the upper tier of college athletics.

Messier
02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Was Tenn considered a power in football before Fulmer and Manning? I always associated Fulmer with bringing high profile success to that program, and that started in what, the early 90's/late 80's?

Mizzou is not going to get there over night. But they will have the opportunity. Continue to improve in recruiting and on the field, and I think they can win the SEC.

Equal revenue sharing in SEC helps too. Mizzou will have more money to improve the facilities and the Mizzou brand. I think the future is much brighter for Mizzou than its rivals, and I think they just can't stand even the possibility that Mizzou just might make the jump up to the upper tier of college athletics.

They had a rough period in the 70's, but they've won five or fewer games only four times in the last 30 years.

Trevo_410
02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Mizzoussed

O.city
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Well I'm just hoping for a good game tonight.

I don't really think a win for either team really assures anything, in terms of Big 12 champ. I think either can can lose and still have a really good chance to win the thing.

Imon Yourside
02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Well I'm just hoping for a good game tonight.

I don't really think a win for either team really assures anything, in terms of Big 12 champ. I think either can can lose and still have a really good chance to win the thing.

I think it's a must win for Missouri because it's at home.

Rams Fan
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
That's going to suck. I wish we could beat Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Ole Miss or Mississippi State or Tennessee or aTm.

Too bad we can only win 5 of these games.

North Texas at home
Some I-AA school TBD at home
at Central Florida
Georgia at home
Arizona State at home
at South Carolina
Vanderbilt at home
Alabama at home
Kentucky at home
at Florida
at Tennessee
at aTm

That schedule looks impossible!1!111!

KC_Connection
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I would say it's more important for MU as well. It's the equivalent of holding serve for them.

Rams Fan
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM

I assume you are talking about Mizzou's football team, and I am also assuming you are a Jayhawks football fan.

You are saying the football program is shit for Mizzou right now? What is Kansas'?

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I assume you are talking about Mizzou's football team, and I am also assuming you are a Jayhawks football fan.

You are saying the football program is shit for Mizzou right now? What is Kansas'?

You're assumption of me being a Jayhawks fan is completely wrong... Who gives a **** about Kansas... But nice try...
EDIT: I'm actually a Iowa Hawk, you know, the ones who beat you in the Insight Bowl in 2010 season.

Trevo_410
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
You're assumption of me being a Jayhawks fan is completely wrong... Who gives a **** about Kansas... But nice try...

Why so Butthurt then?

Quit bitchin.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Wicked's even dumber lil brother?

Simplicity
02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Wicked's even dumber lil brother?

Do you actually think you can contend for anything meaningful in DIV 1 CFB? and you are calling me the dumb one. :spock:

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
garypinkel Gary Pinkel
An exciting night to be a Tiger, but then every night is. Go Missouri!

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Less than an hour to tip off. GO TIGERS!

DJ's left nut
02-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Love it:

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=shit-hole

Pasta Little Brioni
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Do you actually think you can contend for anything meaningful in DIV 1 CFB? and you are calling me the dumb one. :spock:

I'm not understanding the point of an Iowa fan running amok in here. Go find a Stanzi thread to fill your spank bank.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 07:47 PM
mellinger Sam Mellinger
I think that's a pro-sportsmanship video playing on the videoboard. I'm not sure, though, because DGB just walked on the court. #Mizzou

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I refuse to post in that beaker tainted game thread.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Love Jay Bilas's comments about the rivalry, basically said ku was being a whiny little bitch.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I refuse to post in that beaker tainted game thread.

This thread is better, except for that cocksucking Iowa fan that has been hanging around.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Where does Mizzou hang their banners in the arena? I don't see them.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Crowd is hyped up. This is going to be a good one.

Messier
02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Where does Mizzou hang their banners in the arena? I don't see them.

Must be outside.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow. Long three pointer.

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Missouri keeping the pace slow so far

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Need to settle down Mizzou. Don't let the game get away.

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Not going to be a close game if they don't miss a 3

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Damnit...need to take better shots.

At least we got an offensive foul on Taylor on the other end.

petegz28
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
KU 3-4 for 3's.....

Priest31kc
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Not a great start defensively for Mizzou...

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Wow...they just showed a trophy case full of trophies....

Wickedson said we did not have any....

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Speed it up

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Good defense by Moore to force the jump ball.

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Awesome old film

Mr. Flopnuts
02-04-2012, 08:26 PM
There are a lot of douchebag KU fans. I'm gonna have to post in this one.

jjjayb
02-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Since when can you jump, land and jump again with the ball?

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Mizzou in the bonus. Need to start pounding that ball inside and drawing those fouls.

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Can't be doing that

stonedstooge
02-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Where's this Denmon been?

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Denmon!!!

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Robinson pushes off, but English gets the foul.

petegz28
WHAT A BULLSHIT CALL!

ArrowheadMagic
So basketball matters now?

stonedstooge
Haith showing a little spunk there at the timeout

mnchiefsguy
WHAT A BULLSHIT CALL!

But Mizzou is getting all of the calls...the other thread says so.

KcMizzou
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
So basketball matters now?STFU

Captain Obvious
That's twice we've been called for a foul when our player has been thrown down.

ArrowheadMagic
STFU

lol

KC_Connection
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
But Mizzou is getting all of the calls...the other thread says so.
It's 7 fouls to 3. When I made the post, it was 7 to 1.

I don't expect anything less in high-intensity games like this, though. Nor should anyone else. Mizzou will get more of the calls.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
So basketball matters now?

Go troll the other thread.

KC_Connection
02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Robinson had rebounding position there, by the way. That's why the foul was called on English more than any other reason.

ArrowheadMagic
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Go troll the other thread.

Reminding one of their hypocrisy isnt trolling.