PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs WANT competition for Matt Cassel

-King-
02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Chiefs narrow coordinator search, want QB competition

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS -- The resume box is still wide open at Arrowhead Stadium.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli are looking to plug holes on their coaching and scouting staffs and emphasized Thursday the need to bring in competition for Matt Cassel at starting quarterback.

Crennel has interviewed quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn and Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator Al Saunders for the vacant offensive coordinator’s job and said, “I might interview another one or two” before making a decision, perhaps early next week.

The new offensive coordinator also would have some say in the selection of a veteran quarterback — or quarterback taken in the draft — because Crennel and Pioli were adamant that there will be competition for veteran Matt Cassel, who along with second-year man Ricky Stanzi are the only two quarterbacks under contract.

“What happens in free agency remains to be seen,” Crennel said. “I know competition makes everybody better, and we’ll just have to see what kind of competition we’re going to have at the quarterback position.”

Crennel praised Cassel for leading the Chiefs to playoffs in 2010, but his stance on Thursday was a bit of a departure from the unqualified backing he gave Cassel last month when hired as head coach.

Pioli took it a step further.

“We’ve been saying it for three years, and I’m going to continue to say it, because it’s a core part of our philosophy: There will be increased competition at every position, including the quarterback position,” Pioli said. “Who that is, I don’t know. Maybe it’s Kyle (Orton), maybe it’s another free agent, maybe it’s a draft choice, I don’t know.

“Very few people can perform at an extremely high level without competition.”

Orton, who finished the season as the starter, winning two of the last three games, including a victory over then-unbeaten Green Bay after Crennel replaced Todd Haley on an interim basis, is an unrestricted free agent.

“Kyle did a good job in those three games, and you can’t take that away,” Crennel said. “I wouldn’t be sitting here if he didn’t do the job he did.”
Cassel missed the last seven games because of a broken hand, and when asked about the importance of having a veteran backup, Crennel said: “Only if the first guy gets hurt. And you have to plan for that a little bit. I think in planning for it, you have to look at your philosophy, what it’s going to cost, and all those things that go into it.”

Meanwhile, Crennel said a new offensive coordinator would have an impact and input into the hiring of a new wide receivers coach, offensive line coach, assistant offensive line coach and perhaps a quarterbacks coach if Zorn is not promoted and chooses to leave.

Zorn would seem to make sense if Crennel wants to maintain continuity with the offense the Chiefs have run the past two years under Charlie Weis and Bill Muir, whose unexpected retirement as offensive line coach this week set Crennel back in his coordinator search.

Saunders, who is still under contract to the Raiders, has a track record of success as an offensive coordinator, particularly with the Chiefs during 2001-05 under Dick Vermeil, who said Saunders told him the interview with the Chiefs went well.

But hiring Saunders would entail installing a new system.

“If you hire a coordinator, you have to let the coordinator run his program,” Crennel said, “and if the program is a different program than what the players are used to, they have to adjust.”

Because Crennel will be serving as his own defensive coordinator, he’ll have to put a lot of trust into the new offensive coordinator.

“As a head coach you have to be involved in the offense … you want to know what’s going on,” Crennel said, “but I’m not going to be in the offensive meetings because I’m going to be running the defense as well. The guy I get I need him to be what I consider to be a good coordinator.”

When asked if there were some other assistants who have departed besides Muir and three others who were not retained, Crennel replied: “Not yet … you just don’t know.

“Let’s say, hypothetically, I make (someone) the offensive coordinator … who some guys on the offense might not like, and if they have opportunities, they might say, ‘I want to go someplace else.’ You can’t control it. If those guys don’t have opportunities, then they stay. But I’m not looking to run anybody off.”

The Chiefs also are without director of college scouting Phil Emery, who is now the general manager of the Chicago Bears. With the college all-star games complete, the NFL scouting combine later this month, followed by the draft in April, this is not the optimum time to bring in someone new.

“We have a staff in place, we have a bunch of scouts in place,” Pioli said. “People are going to pick up additional responsibilities as we go through this cycle. Making a change now, the timing would be terrible. What we’ve tried to do in coaching and scouting is we want to reward people by promoting from within. Those people have to be ready, but that’s the great reward you offer to these people.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/02...#storylink=cpy (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/02/3406996/chiefs-narrow-coordinator-search.html#storylink=cpy)

O's fan posted it in the OC thread but I thought the QB competition part needed its own thread.

Discuss Thrower
02-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Pioli doesn't mention Cassel it all in this competition thing; nor Stanzi. Makes me think it's a competition for backup QB.

chiefforlife
02-02-2012, 08:18 PM
That just means that Palko will be back...

crispystl
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I think this is a good sign. It's the first time they have backed off Cassel in the least.

02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't believe a thing that comes out of Pioli's mouth right now.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
It's not a competition until reps are being split in TC.

Words, words, words, words...

FAX
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Pee Holy has been saying this for two years ... "competition at every position" ... blah, blah, blah ...

And, I certainly don't expect Crennel to dispute the party line in public. Dr. Evil has ways to make you very, very sorry and Romeo is simply too round to walk very far after being deprived of his parking privileges.

I'll believe that they've decided to move on from Cassel when that dumbass is sleeping with the fishes.

FAX

Nightfyre
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Can't we all assume for a moment that Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel are not COMPLETE dumbasses?

Because only a COMPLETE (all caps necessary) dumbass would see Cassel as a franchise QB at this point.

edit: To be clear, Pioli and Crennel will continue to support Cassel publicly until he is replaced. He may not be replaced until a rookie or Stanzi is ready to go, however. The fact is, it takes time to develop QBs from the collegiate level to the pro level. Things get exponentially more complex.

FAX
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Can't we all assume for a moment that Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel are not COMPLETE dumbasses?

Because only a COMPLETE (all caps necessary) dumbass would see Cassel as a franchise QB at this point.

It is puzzling.

They are, after all, PROFESSIONAL football men. Throughout the league, people are shaking their heads at Cassel, yet our glorious leaders have stuck with that dumbass ... apparently, without either hesitation or qualm. One would think that, given their particular area of EXPERTISE, they would have figured it out by now.

FAX

whoman69
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
All I heard was "blah blah Matt Cassel"

Brock
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
First they have to find somebody besides Palko who can't beat Cassel in camp.

You know, I didn't think there was anything that could get FAX worked up. Just say Cassel and the guy comes unglued.

Yes, that is unglued for FAX.

Mr_Tomahawk
His "competition" will be another 5th rnd QB.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Chiefs fans have been conditioned to be non believers.

Nightfyre
It is puzzling.

They are, after all, PROFESSIONAL football men. Throughout the league, people are shaking their heads at Cassel, yet our glorious leaders have stuck with that dumbass ... apparently, without either hesitation or qualm. One would think that, given their particular area of EXPERTISE, they would have figured it out by now.

FAX

But Mr. Fax: The only people they could have acquired in the last two years who have proven out as franchise QBs are Cam Newton and Matt Stafford. And guess what? Those #1 picks were not for sale.

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM

edit: To be clear, Pioli and Crennel will continue to support Cassel publicly until he is replaced. He may not be replaced until a rookie or Stanzi is ready to go, however. The fact is, it takes time to develop QBs from the collegiate level to the pro level. Things get exponentially more complex.

In all honesty that's probably fair. I think we need to see how it all washes out. Now they go draft another 5th rounder and claim he is the heir to Cassel then I think we can call bullshit on this front office. Which really I think is their only choice as we aren't getting a top QB this draft and any FA worth a fuck would not be competition for Cassel but most likely the other way around.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Chiefs fans have been conditioned to be non believers.

What has he [Pioli] given us...errr...Cassel in terms of competition since he has been here...? Why should we believe him now?

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
'competition'

'it's a process'

'blah blah blah'

Nightfyre
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
QBs that could be drafted in this draft and not make me give up all hope on this administration:
1) Luck
2) RGIII
3) Tannehill
4) Osweiller
5) Coleman
6) Foles
7) Cousins

Chiefs Pantalones
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
His "competition" will be another 5th rnd QB.

This. Pioli did say it could be a draft pick. We're looking for a backup.

crispystl
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Fuck it I'm going to say it. I think Crennel has seen first hand what Cassel does to his defense and wants to go in another direction. I think Pioli realizes this is the last go round and is going to make a change. There I said it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
What has he [Pioli] given us...errr...Cassel in terms of competition since he has been here...? Why should we believe him now?

I didn't say we should I was simply making an observation... maybe just stating the obvious even. I find it sad that we can't or don't believe anything he says and I understand why we don't.

Oz_Chief
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
So, where are these job openings posted? Are NFL teams required to post job announcements publicly?

When my employer wants to hire someone they must post a job announcement for 30 days. Is there an exemption for NFL coaches?

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
**** it I'm going to say it. I think Crennel has seen first hand what Cassel does to his defense and wants to go in another direction. I think Pioli realizes this is the last go round and is going to make a change. There I said it.

I hope you're right and by I, I mean all of us.

FAX
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
But Mr. Fax: The only people they could have acquired in the last two years who have proven out as franchise QBs are Cam Newton and Matt Stafford. And guess what? Those #1 picks were not for sale.

Forgive me, Mr. Nightfyre. I are unglued right now.

You make an excellent point. For my part, I have not performed the necessary historical research to determine who might have been brought in through FA, traded for, or otherwise acquired. That, however, is not my particular area of expertise which lies more in the area of tittah assessment.

Let me put it this way ... if Dr. Evil is, in fact, the unmatched football genius and Talent Evaluator Of The Decade he claims to be, could he not have found someone who could learn the playbook by year two rather than still check down to Patriots plays? Or, perhaps, someone who could throw the football beyond 15 yards in the air? Or, maybe, look off a safety once in awhile?

I don't know ... maybe my standards are too high.

FAX

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
I didn't say we should I was simply making an observation... maybe just stating the obvious even. I find it sad that we can't or don't believe anything he says and I understand why we don't.

he didn't say anything...he didn't say we needed an upgrade at QB, he didn't say Cassel wasn't good enough

he said, "we want competition at every position, like I've said for 3 years...."

it was intentionally meaningless...but it allows the dim to pretend he's being tough on Cassel...

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
he didn't say anything...he didn't say we needed an upgrade at QB, he didn't say Cassel wasn't good enough

he said, "we want competition at every position, like I've said for 3 years...."

it was intentionally meaningless...but it allows the dim to pretend he's being tough on Cassel...

Agreed although I "hope" it ends up meaning more. We'll see. I doubt anyone is holding their breath.

cabletech94
02-02-2012, 08:45 PM
That just means that Palko will be back...

you just shut your WHORE mouth!!!!!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

:clap:

Deberg_1990
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Everyone welcome veteran free agent QB Matt Leinart to KC!

petegz28
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM

In all fairness Haley wanted Palko and Pioli, rightly or wrongly (wrongly of course) let him have his way.

crispystl
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I hope you're right and by I, I mean all of us.

Me too man, me too

cdcox
I don't want Cassel to have any competition. None at all.

Brock
So, where are these job openings posted? Are NFL teams required to post job announcements publicly?

When my employer wants to hire someone they must post a job announcement for 30 days. Is there an exemption for NFL coaches?

wuh?

FAX
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Obviously, every Chiefs fan who hasn't yet offed him or herself would prefer to have a "franchise" or "elite" quarterback.

However, the problem we have is that there are teams with "franchise" quarterbacks and then there are teams with "good" quarterbacks and then there are teams with "game manager" quarterbacks and then there's 9 miles of rancid dog vomit and then there's us.

With all due respect to Mr. Nightfyre and others who fight their battles with straw men, we saw an upgrade in performance with friggin' Orton under center. To complain that "franchise" guys are unavailable at this point is somewhat absurd. We should be complaining that we don't have a class B moron instead of the imbecile to whom we now owe an additional 5 million dollars (or whatever it is).

FAX

Okie_Apparition
02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh Scott, the Patriots made it to a super bowl without you(Don't throw that chair)

What's more important, proving you are a super bowl caliber GM. Or that Matt Cassel was a 7th round gem. It's year FOUR & you're looking more roadside flare

Nightfyre
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Obviously, every Chiefs fan who hasn't yet offed him or herself would prefer to have a "franchise" or "elite" quarterback.

However, the problem we have is that there are teams with "franchise" quarterbacks and then there are teams with "good" quarterbacks and then there are teams with "game manager" quarterbacks and then there's 9 miles of rancid dog vomit and then there's us.

With all due respect to Mr. Nightfyre and others who fight their battles with straw men, we saw an upgrade in performance with friggin' Orton under center. To complain that "franchise" guys are unavailable at this point is somewhat absurd. We should be complaining that we don't have a class B moron instead of the imbecile to whom we now owe an additional 5 million dollars (or whatever it is).

FAX
Mr. FAX, You are not showing due respect. I will not burn Pioli's effigy simply because he swung and missed on ONE QB and gave him three years to prove himself. However, I want a franchise QB more than as much, if not more, than anyone on this board. If Pioli demonstrates a lack of commitment to finding one this year or the next, I will lead the lynch mob to 1 Arrowhead Drive (and that's a long trek from where I am at.) Now, to me, no player is untouchable. If Pioli thinks Andrew Luck is the next big thing, I would not be disfavorable to him doing whatever it takes to acquire him, including offering any and all current players on the team. Start with Bowe and two to three first round picks if you must. Throw in Berry and Charles and Hali. I don't care. Because those four players don't mean a goddamned thing without a franchise QB. Now, apologize, put humpty dumpty back together again, and give Pioli a couple years to make this right before you fall again.

J Diddy
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Everyone welcome veteran free agent QB Matt Leinart to KC!

It's funny how these things go. Before his senior season everyone talked about Leinart like they do Luck.

Fritz88
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Funny. This means Stanzi is still going to be #3 regardless.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Funny. This means Stanzi is still going to be #3 regardless.

:Bosschiefs eyes begin to water:

Extra Point
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Who/what will compete against the wrapper-picker-upper? A Darleck?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Pioli is going to bring in Manning.

Cassel is going to "beat Manning in TC." Nobody will witness it though...

Pioli, "I told you Cassel is a franchise QB..."

LMAO

DJ's left nut
02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
"We've been saying it for three years..."

Which tells you exactly how much he actually means it.

Fuck your own face, Scott.

02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Forgive me, Mr. Nightfyre. I are unglued right now.

You make an excellent point. For my part, I have not performed the necessary historical research to determine who might have been brought in through FA, traded for, or otherwise acquired. That, however, is not my particular area of expertise which lies more in the area of tittah assessment.

Let me put it this way ... if Dr. Evil is, in fact, the unmatched football genius and Talent Evaluator Of The Decade he claims to be, could he not have found someone who could learn the playbook by year two rather than still check down to Patriots plays? Or, perhaps, someone who could throw the football beyond 15 yards in the air? Or, maybe, look off a safety once in awhile?

I don't know ... maybe my standards are too high.

FAXLMAO

Simplicity
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
If Cassel somehow did something amazing this next year would be pretty awesome. I've been waiting for Cassel to break out but I don't think he will... ever. Casshole.

FAX
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Mr. FAX, You are not showing due respect. I will not burn Pioli's effigy simply because he swung and missed on ONE QB and gave him three years to prove himself. However, I want a franchise QB more than as much, if not more, than anyone on this board. If Pioli demonstrates a lack of commitment to finding one this year or the next, I will lead the lynch mob to 1 Arrowhead Drive (and that's a long trek from where I am at.) Now, to me, no player is untouchable. If Pioli thinks Andrew Luck is the next big thing, I would not be disfavorable to him doing whatever it takes to acquire him, including offering any and all current players on the team. Start with Bowe and two to three first round picks if you must. Throw in Berry and Charles and Hali. I don't care. Because those four players don't mean a goddamned thing without a franchise QB. Now, apologize, put humpty dumpty back together again, and give Pioli a couple years to make this right before you fall again.

ROFL

I can't seem to bring myself to apologize since I'm so right about this and all, Mr. Nightfyre. However, I will applaud you for lashing yourself to the captain while the Good Ship Pee Holy capsizes once again. Calm seas do not a skillful sailor make, after all.

I hate repeating myself on this board since it fosters the impression that I have run dry of original thoughts. However, I remain convinced that you hire a plumber when you have a leaky pipe because plumbers know about that sort of thing. Similarly, you hire a cadaver dog when you suspect that there are corpses lying about in your shrubberies. Certain jobs require particular skill sets, talents, or expertise. That's why you hire experienced professionals in their particular field ... so you can rely upon them. Professionals are not expected to screw up at every turn within their own field.

I was very high on the Pioli hire when it was first announced because I believed that he knew what he was doing. Then, when he traded for Cassel, I thought it was a good move (although I did think that Wild Bill was very smart to franchise the guy and the $60m price tag was exorbitant) because I believed that Pioli knew him from NE and, therefore, Pioli knew that he was the kind of quarterback who could help us win.

The fact that Cassel has proved himself to be a dolt of the first order simply demonstrates that, not only is Pioli likely insane, he is obviously not seeking treatment. Add in the fact that Pioli hired Haley only to begin secretly undermining him to the media within a year and you have a madman running the asylum. Enough, I say. Enjoy your swim.

FAX

Mr. Laz
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
'competition'

'it's a process'

'blah blah blah'
before everyone was pissed because they thought that Pioli was married to cassel and wouldn't make any moves.

Now your pissed because you don't like the way they are 'saying' they want competition for Cassel? :spock:

sandy vag ftl

Mr. Arrowhead
02-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Would Peyton Manning provide "competition" to Matt Cassel

02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
ROFL

I can't seem to bring myself to apologize since I'm so right about this and all, Mr. Nightfyre. However, I will applaud you for lashing yourself to the captain while the Good Ship Pee Holy capsizes once again. Calm seas do not a skillful sailor make, after all.

I hate repeating myself on this board since it fosters the impression that I have run dry of original thoughts. However, I remain convinced that you hire a plumber when you have a leaky pipe because plumbers know about that sort of thing. Similarly, you hire a cadaver dog when you suspect that there are corpses lying about in your shrubberies. Certain jobs require particular skill sets, talents, or expertise. That's why you hire experienced professionals in their particular field ... so you can rely upon them. Professionals are not expected to screw up at every turn within their own field.

I was very high on the Pioli hire when it was first announced because I believed that he knew what he was doing. Then, when he traded for Cassel, I thought it was a good move (although I did think that Wild Bill was very smart to franchise the guy and the $60m price tag was exorbitant) because I believed that Pioli knew him from NE and, therefore, Pioli knew that he was the kind of quarterback who could help us win.

The fact that Cassel has proved himself to be a dolt of the first order simply demonstrates that, not only is Pioli likely insane, he is obviously not seeking treatment. Add in the fact that Pioli hired Haley only to begin secretly undermining him to the media within a year and you have a madman running the asylum. Enough, I say. Enjoy your swim.

FAX
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/TheThreadWeaver/OrsonWellsClap.gif

Setsuna
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
If Cassel somehow did something amazing this next year would be pretty awesome. I've been waiting for Cassel to break out but I don't think he will... ever. Casshole.

ROFL Seriously? How many snaps do you have to see to give up on him? He is hopeless. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO IS HOPING!

Red Beans
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Whether it's a lie or not, it makes me feel a little better. Call me an ostrich with my head in the sand, but it's better than silence...

J Diddy
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
ROFL Seriously? How many snaps do you have to see to give up on him? He is hopeless. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO IS HOPING!

So if he is under center next year you want him to fail?

That's some solid logic there.

J Diddy
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Whether it's a lie or not, it makes me feel a little better. Call me an ostrich with my head in the sand, but it's better than silence...

Are you, by chance, married to a chick name Rice?

Okie_Apparition
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
THey've got rid of the offensive minded HC, OC(4)
The QB coach will move on(rumor) or get promoted to OC
Just sever ties with Cassel now & do the team a favor

BossChief
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Orton
Stanzi
Tannehill/RG3

Thats how we should go into 2012, depending on availability of a pick for RG3.

The sooner they move on from Cassel, the sooner we can start having a real chance at winning something significant with this team.

RealSNR
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

If he fails, and Pioli finally flushes him down the toilet?

I hope Cassel throws 40 interceptions this year

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
before everyone was pissed because they thought that Pioli was married to cassel and wouldn't make any moves.

Now your pissed because you don't like the way they are 'saying' they want competition for Cassel? :spock:

sandy vag ftl

they don't want competition for Cassel, you dumbass....they want 'competition' in the generic sense they've claimed to want it for everybody for 3 years....which means dick squat

when Cassel isn't starting for the first time in 4 years, then you can get down on your knees and swallow pioli...until then, you're giving it away for free...which isn't a surprise

jesus fuck people, has pioli ever said Cassel isn't good enough? no, he has repeatedly and consistently said he is good enough...that's the reality

-King-
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM

sandy vag ftl

Welcome to Chiefs planet.

J Diddy
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
If he fails, and Pioli finally flushes him down the toilet?

I hope Cassel throws 40 interceptions this year

But if he comes out and throws darts and does well you still want him gone?

DeezNutz
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Orton
Stanzi
Tannehill/RG3

Thats how we should go into 2012, depending on availability of a pick for RG3.

The sooner they move on from Cassel, the sooner we can start having a real chance at winning something significant with this team.

I hope that list is in no particular order.

splatbass
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM

FAX

Yeah, I think Pioli sucks too. Of course if we start winning I will forget how insane he is.

SAUTO
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM

That guy isn't a chiefs fan
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM

See? That's what it's come down to. Cassel is causing us life-long Chiefs fans to fight amongst ourselves.

It's like when you're married to an axe murderer. You want to care about her feelings because she's the mother of your children, but then there are times when you realize that you're spending your retirement money on Clorox cleaning up the blood in your trunk from constantly hauling miscellaneous body parts from your garage to the river. Plus, you know that eventually, over breakfast, she's going to start staring at you with those Manson lamps and it's going to be a bad day.

It's no way to live. When you're married to an axe murderer, the best thing to do is introduce her to your yoga instructor then change your name and move to a different state.

FAX

-King-
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I hope that list is in no particular order.

ROFLROFLROFL

RealSNR
02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
But if he comes out and throws darts and does well you still want him gone?
Yes.

Let's see him throw darts in a playoff game and get us a win.

If he does that, I'll stop rooting for him to fail.

That should be reasonable, right? We've got a great team, we really do. Lots of people think we can be really competitive in the playoffs with just Orton.

He fucking failed his last test. Didn't just lose the game, but made it worse.

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
what's really funny about this, if you're dumb enough to believe it...

Stanzi doesn't count as 'competition'...pioli is telling the truth, and mentions drafting a QB but makes no mention of the guy we drafted who couldn't even beat out Palko...

he's mentions 3 options, none of them Stanzi

Chiefnj2
02-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Stanzi doesn't count as 'competition'...pioli is telling the truth, and mentions drafting a QB but makes no mention of the guy we drafted who couldn't even beat out Palko...

Good catch. I missed that. I wonder if Stanzi just didn't get it.

tk13
02-02-2012, 10:00 PM

That's a good point... and maybe a bit concerning. Especially since most people think it was just Haley holding him back. But it's very possible they see him as a Tony Romo type of project.

BossChief
02-02-2012, 10:01 PM

ouch

I guess we will have to see how it plays out, but that's not promising to the kid.

BossChief
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
That's a good point... and maybe a bit concerning. Especially since most people think it was just Haley holding him back. But it's very possible they see him as a Tony Romo type of project.

bingo.

In fact, Ive made that connection a couple times.

FAX
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM

When you stop and think about this for just a second, you have a guy here who makes a really big deal out of candy wrappers in stairwells, assistant coach parking techniques, and whether or not he's mentioned in a Patriots news story. This is a person who oversees the restriction of employee conversations across departments.

Is that the kind of guy who would not put his foot down about who starts at quarterback? The kind of guy who would want Stanzi to gain some game experience but chose to remain silent on the subject? The kind of person who would step back from critical personnel or depth chart decisions?

If so, that would be a personality type I have never before seen.

FAX

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 10:06 PM

i don't think he said anything at all, obviously, just hot air for desperate fans....but it is weird that he wouldn't mention the only other QB on the roster and a recent draft pick...he didn't even mention 'the current roster' as a hypothetical...

the Talking Can
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM
When you stop and think about this for just a second, you have a guy here who makes a really big deal out of candy wrappers in stairwells, assistant coach parking techniques, and whether or not he's mentioned in a Patriots news story. This is a person who oversees the restriction of employee conversations across departments.

Is that the kind of guy who would not put his foot down about who starts at quarterback? The kind of guy who would want Stanzi to gain some game experience but chose to remain silent on the subject? The kind of person who would step back from critical personnel or depth chart decisions?

If so, that would be a personality type I have never before seen.

FAX

yeah, hard to believe

KCTitus
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I understand the Stanzi love since he's a local kid...but I think KC could do better in the FA market or in the draft. This kid is like this BB's very own Tebow.

BossChief
02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
It says at the beginning that they want competition for the starters position and then he mentions a rookie for that.

False hope for RG3 or Luck?

In the interview with Jack Harry, when asked if he would trade up for a quarterback, his response was "depends on the cost"

Now, he lists a draft choice as possible competition for Cassel for starter.

False hope?

Probably.

But at least its hope.

dirk digler
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
yeah right

RealSNR
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
It says at the beginning that they want competition for the starters position and then he mentions a rookie for that.

False hope for RG3 or Luck?

In the interview with Jack Harry, when asked if he would trade up for a quarterback, his response was "depends on the cost"

Now, he lists a draft choice as possible competition for Cassel for starter.

False hope?

Probably.

But at least its hope.I'd say it's way more "false" than "hope"

Mike in SW-MO
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Best likely scenario.

We get some old cast-off from another team that is through with him.

Peyton Manning.

The OC is whoever Manning wants it to be.

ChiefsCountry
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I would laugh if it was Brady Quinn.

Simply Red
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
nothing against OP but damn this is getting tiresome.

Simply Red
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I understand the Stanzi love since he's a local kid...but I think KC could do better in the FA market or in the draft. This kid is like this BB's very own Tebow.

i agree here.

Barret
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Silly tinfoil hat type thought here but....

What if Pioli knew exactly what he was doing when he brought Cassel and Old Ass Vrabel to the Chiefs.

It was to help out his old buddies in New England. How much was Cassel going to count against the Patriot Cap? Wasn't Vrabel going to cost something as well due to his contract?

So you can't just throw Cassel to the street after 2 or 3 seasons or someone is going to ask "what is up". Then someone is going to investigate why the Ex-Gm of the Patriots Helped the Patriots free up cap space by taking on a shitty QB and a broke ass old LB to a Chiefs Team that he is now GM of. Oh and gave up a 2nd round pick for. That seems kinda like chump change for what the Raiders gave up for Carson Palmer, doesn't it?

Some of you were asking even why was Vrabel starting because he couldn't do anything in coverage and he was to old to adjust to and attack at run defense. So Vrabel retires due to age. No red flags are thrown at that because his skills diminished due to age. And they brought him in to be a locker room leader and help install the Patriot Way.

Everyone thought the Cassel trade was decent since it seemed that he was better then anyone the Chiefs had at QB on the roster. Did Pioli believe that Cassel could start for that Chiefs team? Sure, but that wasn't his primary motive.

I mean, this would answer several questions on the actions of this Franchise with Cassel. Pioli isn't stupid and has been in football and been setup more closely around football then any of us. He has the best or at least decent scouts that can look at film and see exactly what everyone here is seeing with Cassel.

So now in Year 4 of the Cassel Experiment, the GM is promising competition for Cassel and there is a bit of wavering about him being a QB on this team. My Tinfoil hat theory will be excused due to the changes at OC and then the Coaching change and the shortened year and the perceived bad o-line and blah blah blah.

I could be completely way off base here but people aren't that blatantly stupid and blind to a QB that can't perform.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
a new level of CPlanet dumbass has just been reached.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM

What if Pioli knew exactly what he was doing when he brought Cassel and Old Ass Vrabel to the Chiefs.

It was to help out his old buddies in New England. How much was Cassel going to count against the Patriot Cap? Wasn't Vrabel going to cost something as well due to his contract?.

Sorry, no.

Okie_Apparition
02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
2009 draft & QB trade
2009 HC & DC choices
No conspiracy, just Hunt wanting results for making Pioli the highest paid GM

RealSNR
02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ChLJ-LxLeqg/Ts6ZSwHPUJI/AAAAAAAAILk/j1Xz1psFUiQ/s1600/yesitis2.gif

xztop12
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
depends on the cost means MC is done

Psyko Tek
02-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Would Peyton Manning provide "competition" to Matt Cassel

I sir would be competition to casel
can't read a d
do not know the play book
and have no arm

tell me I am not the QB pilioiioiio( jebus man get a normal name)wants

NJChiefsFan
02-03-2012, 03:52 AM
It's not a competition until reps are being split in TC.

Words, words, words, words...

Very true. I guess I am just so down about their intentions that even the words seem great to me. I didn't even think we would get that much.

FAX
02-03-2012, 04:14 AM
You, Mr. Barret, are the new Edgar KC Of ChiefsPlanet!!!

That, my friend, is a brilliant analysis. You have uncovered a scheme so dastardly. So ingenious. So blatantly contemptible, under-handed, and craven that it has to be right. Why didn't we see it before? It was right there in front of our eyes.

The Patriots knew that, with the death of Lamar, new ownership would take over in the form of Clark. They knew that, in his haste, Clark would want nothing more than to immediately build an organization that would dominate the AFC for decades to come. What could they do? Brady was coming off injury, their team was aging, and Belichick's staff was being courted by other teams. Yes, Pioli had been offered other positions, but he had always declined because he knew he was a hopeless, fat-assed shill. Yet, Pioli was perceived as a brilliant football mind due to Belichick's desire to manufacture and perpetuate that false, public image.

So, Pioli takes the job, spends millions of Clark's money to bring in Cassel and hires Haley immediately creating false hope while simultaneously undermining Haley's efforts, refusing to provide depth, and providing Clark with high-priced prostitutes and heroin. This makes TapeGate look like stealing cookies. My God, it's the most vile, yet brilliant plan of all times.

FAX

JCharles1981
02-03-2012, 04:57 AM
That'd be awesome if the Chiefs re-hired Al Saunders to be the offensive coordinator. He has more success than Paul Hackett, Mike Muir(previous Chiefs OC's), and Greg Robinson (former Chiefs DC) combined.

keg in kc
02-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Whether it turns out to be true or not, at least they're finally saying it.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 07:13 AM
our best shot at getting rid of Cassel will be the resigning of Orton it this doesnt happen it's gonna be another long season in 2012.

1ChiefsDan
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Mel Kiper's top six: 1. QB Andrew Luck; 2. OT Matt Kalil; 3. RB Trent Richardson; 4. CB Morris Claiborne; 5. WR Justin Blackmon; 6. RG III.

If RGIII falls to 6 does that make it easier for us to trade up to get him?

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Mel Kiper's top six: 1. QB Andrew Luck; 2. OT Matt Kalil; 3. RB Trent Richardson; 4. CB Morris Claiborne; 5. WR Justin Blackmon; 6. RG III.

IMO, if RGIII falls to 6 Pioli would be stoopid not to trade up.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Are we for sure that Indy isn't going to take RGIII?

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 07:37 AM

WTF? :spock:

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 07:37 AM

It was to help out his old buddies in New England. How much was Cassel going to count against the Patriot Cap? Wasn't Vrabel going to cost something as well due to his contract?

So you can't just throw Cassel to the street after 2 or 3 seasons or someone is going to ask "what is up". Then someone is going to investigate why the Ex-Gm of the Patriots Helped the Patriots free up cap space by taking on a shitty QB and a broke ass old LB to a Chiefs Team that he is now GM of. Oh and gave up a 2nd round pick for. That seems kinda like chump change for what the Raiders gave up for Carson Palmer, doesn't it?

Some of you were asking even why was Vrabel starting because he couldn't do anything in coverage and he was to old to adjust to and attack at run defense. So Vrabel retires due to age. No red flags are thrown at that because his skills diminished due to age. And they brought him in to be a locker room leader and help install the Patriot Way.

Everyone thought the Cassel trade was decent since it seemed that he was better then anyone the Chiefs had at QB on the roster. Did Pioli believe that Cassel could start for that Chiefs team? Sure, but that wasn't his primary motive.

I mean, this would answer several questions on the actions of this Franchise with Cassel. Pioli isn't stupid and has been in football and been setup more closely around football then any of us. He has the best or at least decent scouts that can look at film and see exactly what everyone here is seeing with Cassel.

So now in Year 4 of the Cassel Experiment, the GM is promising competition for Cassel and there is a bit of wavering about him being a QB on this team. My Tinfoil hat theory will be excused due to the changes at OC and then the Coaching change and the shortened year and the perceived bad o-line and blah blah blah.

I could be completely way off base here but people aren't that blatantly stupid and blind to a QB that can't perform.

I think the Planet usually labels posts such as the one above as : Dumbassery

suds79
02-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Is that Mel's top 6 players? Or Mock. There's a big difference.

Looks like top 6 to me.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I think the Planet usually labels posts such as the one above as : Dumbassery

status quo for 90% of all of you is another way to say it....

jd1020
02-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Is that Mel's top 6 players? Or Mock. There's a big difference.

Looks like top 6 to me.

Has to be top 6. Why would the Vikings pick Richardson?

jd1020
02-03-2012, 08:07 AM
IMO, if RGIII falls to 6 Pioli would be stoopid not to trade up.

Mike Shanahan would be even more stoopid for trading.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 08:14 AM
mock thread title alert: "Chief Fans WANT a replacement for Cassel"

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 08:34 AM
The Chiefs FO wants Competition @ QB and the Fans just want a QB period.

just sayin.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.almightyphilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/lingerie_football_league_gallery_077.jpg

i bet this chick could beat out Matt Cassel in TC.

1ChiefsDan
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.almightyphilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/lingerie_football_league_gallery_077.jpg

i bet this chick could beat out Matt Cassel in TC.Betting many posters are beating out to this pic

In58men
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Should I buy my Stanzi jersey now?

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Betting many posters are beating out to this pic

haha

bricks
02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
So let me get this straight, if Peyton Manning becomes available in the off season, are they seriously gonna stick with their philosophy in wanting QB competition?

That would be pretty stupid. If one of the better QBs becomes available, you simply need to step outside of your philosophy a little bit and shift your line of thinking towards improving your roster and team, period. And not trying to bring out the best in a player.

**** it. We already know what Cassel is. This whole competition crap is boring and stale as hell. They ain't gonna make chicken salad out of chicken shit, and they should stop trying to sell that shit to the fans. If Manning becomes available you roll that dice and take that chance. Go for the gold instead of hoping for the best out of chicken shit. This franchise needs to grow a sack.

Dave Lane
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM

I'm gonna wager that Stanzi not only left a gum wrapper on the floor but parked slightly off center in a parking spot once. I mean how can you possibly move forward with a QB with that on his resume?

Dayze
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
rigged competition, is not competition.

no way the Chiefs draft a QB (at least not one who has a chance at ever contributing). FA market will blow, Cassel will "win" the competition.

Cassel - Opening day starter 2012, and short of massive failings (like multiple 3-4 turnover games), will be the starter throughout next season.

IMO, this is all marketing by Pioli/Crennel/Chiefs etc.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Chiefnj2
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
rigged competition, is not competition.

no way the Chiefs draft a QB (at least not one who has a chance at ever contributing). FA market will blow, Cassel will "win" the competition.

Cassel - Opening day starter 2012, and short of massive failings (like multiple 3-4 turnover games), will be the starter throughout next season.

IMO, this is all marketing by Pioli/Crennel/Chiefs etc.

I'll believe it when I see it.

If Pioli is scared of competition or making Cassel look bad, why did he pay Orton 8 million dollars to mop up at the end of last year?

Dayze
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
because Cassel was injured, Palko was an abortion, and they were still in the playoff mix; and if we got to the playoffs thought Orton, along with our defense, could possibly advance.

IMO, the $8M (or whatever it was) was worth it to Pioli/Clark, had the Chiefs made it to the post season/made some noise in the post season.

boogblaster
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Orton perhaps ... Stanzi could step up hopefully ... FA who knows ... Drafted Rookie no help ......

Chiefnj2
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
because Cassel was injured, Palko was an abortion, and they were still in the playoff mix; and if we got to the playoffs thought Orton, along with our defense, could possibly advance.

IMO, the $8M (or whatever it was) was worth it to Pioli/Clark, had the Chiefs made it to the post season/made some noise in the post season.

Acknowledging the fact that Orton was good enough to win games and carry KC to the playoffs, goes against your view that they were/are afraid of any Cassel competition.

Dayze
02-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Acknowledging the fact that Orton was good enough to win games and carry KC to the playoffs, goes against your view that they were/are afraid of any Cassel competition.

but, wasn't Cassel out of the year at the time? therefore, no competition. Cassel goes down/is out, but they're still in a position for the playoffs....do they try to go to the post wwith someone like Orton? Or just mail it in with Palko?

a fully healed Cassel will most assuredly 'win' a competition against any scrub they bring in here; short of Cassel completely stinking up the joint (more than usual) week in and week out of training camp/PS.

:shrug:

Molitoth
02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

ummm..... The thing about Stanzi is that he hasn't been given a chance. The team could rally around him, but we don't know.
Stanzi did some great things in the little preseason that he had.

The Chiefs haven't come out and said, "Stanzi sucks so he's riding the bench." and our media won't ever question the god damn team about him.

So yeah; I think a lot of people are anxious to figure out WTF is going on with the Stanzi situation.

Is he Pioli's secret weapon that they have been patient with and grooming?

Okie_Apparition
02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Good move from a PR stand point

KC will get attached to the Manning talk now
& away from lawsuits, bugged phones & thrown chairs

TEX
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Just sign Orton and be done with it. Move on to to other needs.
Orton > Cassel

Carlota69
02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
If Pioli is scared of competition or making Cassel look bad, why did he pay Orton 8 million dollars to mop up at the end of last year?

I think they paid Orton 2.5 mil, possibly less...But I agree with your point.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM

:spock:

I heard it was a little over two.

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
So let me get this straight, if Peyton Manning becomes available in the off season, are they seriously gonna stick with their philosophy in wanting QB competition?

That would be pretty stupid. If one of the better QBs becomes available, you simply need to step outside of your philosophy a little bit and shift your line of thinking towards improving your roster and team, period. And not trying to bring out the best in a player.

**** it. We already know what Cassel is. This whole competition crap is boring and stale as hell. They ain't gonna make chicken salad out of chicken shit, and they should stop trying to sell that shit to the fans. If Manning becomes available you roll that dice and take that chance. Go for the gold instead of hoping for the best out of chicken shit. This franchise needs to grow a sack.

are you serious? As soon as Manning gets here, gets whipped lashed in a tackle, this board will blow up with how stupid Pioli was in bringing Manning here and label it a big gamble. There is no satisfying anyone here.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
So Pioli admits Castle needs competition.
maybe the NFL will allow Pop Warner kids to sign,
Matt would have more competition than he can handle..

O.city
02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
I think you guys are going about this all wrong.

He said Cassel needs competition. Romeo doesn't like Cassel.

There is no way he wins a competition. I think our days of seeing Cassel play qb are over.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I think you guys are going about this all wrong.

He said Cassel needs competition. Romeo doesn't like Cassel.

There is no way he wins a competition. I think our days of seeing Cassel play qb are over.

I tend to agree with this, but I'm waiting until I actually see this one to believe it.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I tend to agree with this, but I'm waiting until I actually see this one to believe it.

yep, i'll believe it when i see it because once Cassel is out of the picture that means Pioli admits he made a mistake.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Matt Cassel hasnt ever won a legit quarterback competition.

He should bulk up and go back to tight end.

O.city
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM

This is what I'm excited about. He really can't win a legit competition. People are looking at this thru the negative glasses.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
This is what I'm excited about. He really can't win a legit competition. People are looking at this thru the negative glasses.

not if Pioli brings in shit thats worse than Cassel, like Palko.

Fish
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM

LMAO...

Let me get this straight.. You're excited that the Executive of the Decade's first and biggest team acquisition is so bad that he won't be able to win against legit competition? After 3 years of Pioli saying Cassel was the man? This is what has you excited? The possibility of that happening?

And on top of that nonsense, you're saying other people are being unreasonably negative?

Wow...

O.city
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Everyone wanted Cassel out, now it might happen and we are pissed.

Pioli took a chance and it failed. Now it's possible that he is moving on from that, something everyone said woudln't happen.

CP is lose lose on the whole subject. Pioli sticks with Cassel he's a dumbass. He moves on he failed and we are pissed.

Fish
02-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Pioli took a chance and it failed. Now it's possible that he is moving on from that, something everyone said woudln't happen.

CP is lose lose on the whole subject. Pioli sticks with Cassel he's a dumbass. He moves on he failed and we are pissed.

Who is pissed? You're not making much sense here. People are saying "Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard this kind of crap before." I'm not seeing anyone pissed off at the idea of actually giving Cassel competition.

Not everyone is ecstatic with "ifs" and "mights" and "maybes" like you seem to be... People want results on the field and aren't content with coachspeak...

O.city
02-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Fair enough.

I just don't see Cassel playing qb in KC again as the starter. It sucks taht we have spent 3 years with the guy but it is what it is.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
What's done is done. Can't go back and change it, fish.

Acknowledging that the time when Cassel is the unquestioned starter is over is the first step that needed to take place.

Now that has happened.

Of course that should get us a little excited.

EVERYONE here KNOWS Cassel was holding this team back and Orton pushed that to the forefront.

Pioli may finally see that Cassel was HIS "candy wrapper" that has been in the hallway for 3 fucking years now.

O.city
02-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Acknowledging that the time when Cassel is the unquestioned starter is over is the first step that needed to take place.

Now that has happened.

EVERYONE here KNOWS Cassel was holding this team back and Orton pushed that to the forefront.

Pioli may finally see that Cassel was HIS "candy wrapper" that has been in the hallway for 3 ****ing years now.

Great analogy there Boss.

RealSNR
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM

He should bulk up and go back to tight end.Actually for that matter he hasn't ever won a legit tight end competition, either.

Fish
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Nothing has actually happened though. That's the thing. I don't see how you think this changes anything at all, or that we've turned some corner on accountability with Pioli's pets. It's just standard coachspeak to placate irrational fans. Never was it said that Cassel isn't cutting it, or that his job is in any danger. Remember that they said in past seasons that Cassel wasn't the starter by default, and that it would be a competition in camp. And we know how that turned out.

Don't forget that in the weeks leading up to Haley being fired, Pioli said in several statements that he and Todd got along great and there weren't any rifts in their working relationship.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 02:17 PM

i'm not pissed about that, i'm pissed that Pioli wasted three years on him.

beach tribe
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I believe Orton could be damn good in a Saunders led offense. A cpl O-line upgrades, and he could put up HUGE numbers with the toys he would have to play with.
I really think Pioli respects Crennel, and I don't think Crennel has any faith in Cassel.
Sign neck beard.
Upgrade O-line.
Groom Stanzi/Draft QBOTF.

whoman69
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM

Now that has happened.

Pioli may finally see that Cassel was HIS "candy wrapper" that has been in the hallway for 3 ****ing years now.

Cassel = candy wrapper

That is a great analogy.

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM

not true.......he beat out Palko and Stanzi:p

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 02:58 PM
What To Make Of The Chiefs Quarterback Competition That's Coming
by Joel Thorman on Feb 3, 2012 2:51 PM CST

The Kansas City Star interviewed a couple members of the Kansas City Chiefs brass in head coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli and the headline of the story says it all: "Chiefs narrow coordinator search, want QB competition."

We already talked about the latest offensive coordinator updates so let's move onto the comments from Crennel and Pioli on the quarterback competition.

Read the KC Star story by Randy Covitz and you see quotes from both guys saying they want quarterback competition and they've always believed in competition, even at quarterback.

A little exciting, no? A couple thoughts on the idea of adding quarterback competition...

My first reaction is to look at the quarterback depth chart last season -- Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi -- because Pioli said adding competition has been part of their philosophy since he got here. To me, that depth chart doesn't scream legitimate competition behind Cassel considering how the season went down. And even the season before you had Brodie Croyle, who still hasn't won an NFL game. Maybe it was just a miscalculation on their part, though, and not an indictment on their philosophy, but it certainly doesn't seem like the Chiefs have applied this competition-is-good philosophy to the quarterback position. Perhaps they're just becoming more focused about it this year.

My second reaction is to look back at previous public comments from Pioli on the quarterback situation. I've never really gotten the feeling the Chiefs were considering moving away from Cassel. The Chiefs have never really wavered on whether Cassel is the future. So these latest comments from Pioli and Crennel in the KC Star are hard for me to wrap my head around because the idea that Cassel isn't the firm starter in KC is something we've never really heard from the Chiefs.

My third reaction is that, while the Chiefs may bring in competition, what are the chances they find someone better than Cassel? (Hint: Not very good.) Take a look at what Pioli said about Cassel this week in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio:

"I think a more fair assessment of Matt as a player is to go back to 2010," Pioli said. "You have to pay attention to what happened in 2011. For a lot of reasons, not just with Matt -- we lost one of the best running backs in the league and one of the better tight ends in the league -- a lot of things were different. And with that happening, not just Matt, the entire offense struggled early on, and then even in the middle of the season. We never got into a groove for whatever the reasons were. Going back, when we had a good, strong offseason, we had an organization where everything was known and you go back to the 2010 season and those numbers don't lie, nor does his performance. A guy who threw 27 touchdowns, had 7 interceptions, went to the Pro Bowl, helped guide the team to the playoffs, win the division. That's more of what we're looking for and hoping for and that's what Matt's hoping for as well. It'll be an interesting year to see how Matt comes around and stays healthy."

So, what I see here, is that any quarterback the Chiefs try to acquire, they're going to be comparing him to 2010 Matt Cassel because they feel that's the real Cassel. My issue with that assessment is that, through four years as a starting quarterback, Cassel has had two good seasons and two bad seasons. So maybe Cassel turns in another 2010-like performance. Or maybe he plays like he did last year (before getting injured) with a nearly 1:1 touchdown to interception ratio. Or maybe he wins 10 games like he did in New England. Or maybe he plays like he did in the 2009 season.

We just don't know which one we'll get. But the Chiefs appear to be confident that the 2010 Cassel will return, even if it means some extra competition to get him there. I really, truly hope they're right.

So the real question here, since it seems the Chiefs will add someone at quarterback, is whether we'll have a competition that Cassel could potentially lose (like Cassel vs. Orton) or a competition in which Cassel is destined to win (like Cassel vs. every other quarterback the Chiefs have had in the Cassel era).

-King-
02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Aw shucks.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
What To Make Of The Chiefs Quarterback Competition That's Coming
by Joel Thorman on Feb 3, 2012 2:51 PM CST

The Kansas City Star interviewed a couple members of the Kansas City Chiefs brass in head coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli and the headline of the story says it all: "Chiefs narrow coordinator search, want QB competition."

We already talked about the latest offensive coordinator updates so let's move onto the comments from Crennel and Pioli on the quarterback competition.

A little exciting, no? A couple thoughts on the idea of adding quarterback competition...

My first reaction is to look at the quarterback depth chart last season -- Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Ricky Stanzi -- because Pioli said adding competition has been part of their philosophy since he got here. To me, that depth chart doesn't scream legitimate competition behind Cassel considering how the season went down. And even the season before you had Brodie Croyle, who still hasn't won an NFL game. Maybe it was just a miscalculation on their part, though, and not an indictment on their philosophy, but it certainly doesn't seem like the Chiefs have applied this competition-is-good philosophy to the quarterback position. Perhaps they're just becoming more focused about it this year.

IMO Pioli will bring in crap worse than Cassel like the last three seasons.

but if he really means it, he can sign Orton and get Saunders as OC.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
And because this is relevant and I duno if it has been posted...oh well...

Kyle Orton Could Have Another Suitor In Free Agency
by Joel Thorman on Feb 3, 2012 1:21 PM CST

214 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT

Garrett Ellwood - Getty ImagesMore photos »
The Kansas City Chiefs, whether it's head coach Romeo Crennel or GM Scott Pioli, have indicated that they will talk to free-agent-to-be Kyle Orton about coming back to Kansas City. They've both cautioned that "it takes two to marry", which could be a sign Orton is unlikely to come back, but they're at least going to talk to him.

After Orton's solid performance in his three-game stint as the Chiefs starter, we figured other teams would be interested in him as well.

And news comes down today that at least one team could be interested in him.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, speaking on Bill Simmons' podcast, said that the buzz down at the Senior Bowl was that the Washington Redskins were going to show some interest in Orton.

Clark Hunt talked with 810 WHB's Border Patrol this morning and said the Chiefs won't hesitate at the cost of acquiring a player in free agency (or, for you Brandon Carr and Dwayne Bowe fans, the cost of keeping their own players).

But just because they're willing to spend the cash doesn't necessarily mean it's the right move for Orton. I'd very much like to have Orton back in KC but he would, at a minimum, be facing a quarterback competition against Matt Cassel. In Washington, he would instantly be the best quarterback on the roster (depending on what happens in the draft).

So, we'll see what happens. But if there's competition for Orton, I think that means he's less likely to be in KC.

Dayze
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Pioli will bring in Timmy Chang, the announce at the start of the Season that Cassel has won the 'competition'.

O.city
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Orton would be a decent fit in Washington, he would fit Shannys offense pretty well.

I could see Orton to Wash, Flynn to Miami, and Manning somewhere.

If we coudl just get the Browns to take a flyer on someone instead of RGIII.

Titty Meat
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
That sucks Washington will pay him 9 mil a year.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Just saw that the Sanchez and Holmes are patching things up over a weekend getaway.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Just saw that the Sanchez and Holmes are patching things up over a weekend getaway.

Jets fans better get ready to throw some rice. LMAO

seaofred
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I could see the Browns taking Blackmon to give McCoy a legit WR.

BoneKrusher
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
The Rams are offering to trade the number two pick, go for it Pioli and the QB problem is fixed.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:52 PM
No way the Browns take Blackmon Imo. I don't think he gets past the Rams or the VIkes at 2 or 3.

Pioli Zombie
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
A pile of sick would be ample competition for Cassel.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM

That's all you have to say.

whoman69
02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
The Rams are offering to trade the number two pick, go for it Pioli and the QB problem is fixed.

I have to believe the Rams are looking to move back with the idea that they can get Blackmon. He'll be long gone by the time the Chiefs pick comes. We'd have to throw Bowe in for their interest. Not sure what good getting a QB is if we give up our best talent around them.

rtmike
02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
When does the salary cap floor kick in?

BossChief
02-03-2012, 07:50 PM
After next year.

splatbass
02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
yep, i'll believe it when i see it because once Cassel is out of the picture that means Pioli admits he made a mistake.

Didn't he already do that by firing Haley? I think they idea that he would play a crappy QB just because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake to be one of the most ridiculous of the memes on CP, and that is saying a lot.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
And because this is relevant and I duno if it has been posted...oh well...

Kyle Orton Could Have Another Suitor In Free Agency
by Joel Thorman on Feb 3, 2012 1:21 PM CST

214 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT

Garrett Ellwood - Getty ImagesMore photos »
The Kansas City Chiefs, whether it's head coach Romeo Crennel or GM Scott Pioli, have indicated that they will talk to free-agent-to-be Kyle Orton about coming back to Kansas City. They've both cautioned that "it takes two to marry", which could be a sign Orton is unlikely to come back, but they're at least going to talk to him.

After Orton's solid performance in his three-game stint as the Chiefs starter, we figured other teams would be interested in him as well.

And news comes down today that at least one team could be interested in him.

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, speaking on Bill Simmons' podcast, said that the buzz down at the Senior Bowl was that the Washington Redskins were going to show some interest in Orton.

Clark Hunt talked with 810 WHB's Border Patrol this morning and said the Chiefs won't hesitate at the cost of acquiring a player in free agency (or, for you Brandon Carr and Dwayne Bowe fans, the cost of keeping their own players).

But just because they're willing to spend the cash doesn't necessarily mean it's the right move for Orton. I'd very much like to have Orton back in KC but he would, at a minimum, be facing a quarterback competition against Matt Cassel. In Washington, he would instantly be the best quarterback on the roster (depending on what happens in the draft).

So, we'll see what happens. But if there's competition for Orton, I think that means he's less likely to be in KC.Dare I say it...

Peyton Manning?

Simply Red
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM

9/11 was an inside job.

htismaqe
02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Didn't he already do that by firing Haley? I think they idea that he would play a crappy QB just because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake to be one of the most ridiculous of the memes on CP, and that is saying a lot.

I think he's loyal to said crappy QB because he actually believes that Cassel can be a good QB...

NJChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Cassel = candy wrapper

That is a great analogy.

It really is gold. Cassel is the wrapper on the stairs of the Chiefs roster. Except in this analogy Pioli is the janitor, not the guy bagging it as evidence.

02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Well, todays news tells us all we need to know about the QB situation.

BoneKrusher
02-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Well, todays news tells us all we need to know about the QB situation.

yep.
the only OC interviewed that would accept Castle as their starter.:banghead:

Iowanian
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
It's this simple for me.....

If the Chiefs bring in someone who Cassel has a CHANCE to beat out as the starter in a fair and open competition, they didn't try F'ing hard enough.

If it's a competition, it's a dismal failure.

milkman
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm betting they draft someone like Kirk Cousins or Ryan Lindley in the third or fourth rounds to compete and call it good.

O.city
02-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Maybe they bring in Manning and Cassel beats him in a training camp battle?:shrug:

bricks
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe they bring in Manning and Cassel beats him in a training camp battle?:shrug:

Cassel couldn't even sniff Manning's jock if he was in a wheelchair.

milkman
02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Cassel couldn't even sniff Manning's jock if he was in a wheelchair.

Well, he does turn and run if he thinks he's even close to a sack.

BoneKrusher
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
if Pioli really wants competition for Cassel he needs to scan the elementary schools for prospects, i'm sure most pop warner QB's could beat out Castle.

BigChiefFan
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm betting they draft someone like Kirk Cousins or Ryan Lindley in the third or fourth rounds to compete and call it good.

LMAO :huh:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If they pull that shit, I'm focusing on other hobbies alot more.

O.city
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
If you guys have twitter, you should check out sullywa2, he's making some serious claims about Cassel (positive for Cassel) and Haley (negative).

whoman69
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM

LMAO :huh:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If they pull that shit, I'm focusing on other hobbies alot more.

Bank it. I'm guessing Cousins since he's a bigger name.

FAX
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
If you guys have twitter, you should check out sullywa2, he's making some serious claims about Cassel (positive for Cassel) and Haley (negative).

That guy is a Cassel groupie. I think they shared a soda once upon a time.

FAX

seaofred
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM

FAX

Yeah, seems to be nuts.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/05/redskins-considerings-peyton-flynn-orton/

Redskins considering Peyton, Flynn, Orton

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2012, 10:53 AM EST

And so they are trying to upgrade. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Redskins have had internal discussions about pursuing (surprise, surprise) Peyton Manning, Packers quarterback Matt Flynn, and Chiefs quarterback Kyle Orton.

Flynn and Orton will be free agents in March. Peyton likely will be too, and possibly sooner than that.

Per Schefter, they’ve also talked about possibly moving up to No. 2 in the draft, where they’d surely take whomever the Colts don’t select at No. 1 overall.

If the Redskins get Manning, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan would have to find a way to adjust his style to Manning. Kyle wants to control everything the quarterback does. Peyton won’t be thrilled about being micromanaged. Given the choice between having strings on Beck and Grossman and a real-life Peytonnochio, Kyle shouldn’t need Jiminy Cricket to help him make the right call.

BoneKrusher
02-05-2012, 10:09 AM

FAX

probably's Cassel himself.

In58men
02-05-2012, 10:12 AM

I fucking go bat shit on my TV.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Peytonnochio ROFL Someone shop this.

rtmike
02-07-2012, 03:10 AM

No way Castle overtakes Archie. :evil:

Hammock Parties
02-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Interesting.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5cabms.jpg

durtyrute
02-07-2012, 08:04 AM
It really doesn't make a damn bit of sense to say that Pioli is more tied to Cassel than he is to winning.

whoman69
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5cabms.jpg

So someone out of the blue knows he's on pain killers? Baab should investigate it because some wingnut says he should?

O.city
02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I think that dude is Matt Cassels best friend, so we knwo where he got his info.