PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ugh, WF.com predicts the Chiefs sign Jason Campbell.

Direckshun
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/quarterbackpredictions2012.php

2012 Offseason Quarterback Predictions
Published Feb. 3, 2012
Follow me @walterfootball

It's another offseason, which means a number of teams will be searching for quarterbacks. Here are my predictions for how each quarterback-needy team will address the position this spring, in 2012 NFL Draft order (excluding the obvious Colts):

Cleveland Browns: Draft Robert Griffin

The Browns, Redskins, Dolphins and Seahawks will all be interested in trading up for Robert Griffin. It's going to be very competitive, but Cleveland has the best chance to land the Baylor product.

As detailed in my 2012 NFL Mock Draft, there are a couple of reasons why the Browns are the favorite. They have more ammunition than anyone else to move up to No. 2 because of their two first-round picks. Also, I think St. Louis would much rather move down to No. 4 than No. 6 or later because it will still be able to land either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon with the fourth pick.

Mike Holmgren has to make sure he lands Griffin. He won't be able to sign Peyton Manning, and it appears as though Matt Flynn will be headed elsewhere (more on that later). Holmgren would lose his fan base if he rolled with Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace for another year, so if he can't get Griffin, what else is he going to do? Draft Ryan Tannehill at No. 22? Spend a second-round pick on Brandon Weeden? Obtaining Griffin is Holmgren's best chance to make sure Cleveland reaches the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

Washington Redskins: Sign Peyton Manning

By my estimation, the teams most likely to sign Peyton Manning in order are the: Redskins, Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets and Seahawks. I have Washington atop the list because no one will be able to outbid Daniel Snyder. The Redskins are about $33 million under the cap. Compare that to the Dolphins ($6 million under) and Jets ($5 million over with some flexibility), and it's no contest. After the likes of Mike Sellers, John Beck, and possibly Chris Cooley and O.J. Atogwe are jettisoned as cap casualties, Washington could have more than $40 million at its disposal.

The only other team close to the Redskins in cap space on that list is the Cardinals, who will have about $25 million available if they don't retain Levi Brown. The problem might be the owner. Bill Bidwell lowballed Kurt Warner in contract negotiations a couple of years ago, so if he's not willing to pay his current quarterback, what makes anyone think that he'll come even close to outbidding Snyder? Snyder will offer Manning much more money, so even though Manning may like the prospect of throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, he'll probably opt to take the bigger contract in Washington.

Also, remember that with all that money available, Snyder will be able to bring in Manning's entire entourage. That includes Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and possibly Pierre Garcon and Robert Mathis.

The Redskins already have a great pass rush and sound running game; add Manning, his weapons and the No. 6 overall pick (quite possibly Riley Reiff), and you'll have an instant Super Bowl contender - assuming, of course, that Manning can actually play well coming off his neck injury.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Sign Josh Johnson

Josh Johnson has been linked to the 49ers because of the Jim Harbaugh connection. I believe Jacksonville is the favorite to sign the athletic, high-upside quarterback, however.

Greg Olson, the offensive coordinator for the Buccaneers last year, was recently hired to be the quarterbacks' coach for the Jaguars. Both Olson and Johnson love working with each other, and Olson will push for general manager Gene Smith to sign Josh Freeman's backup.

Olson will understandably want his own guy to compete with Blaine Gabbert. Gabbert showed no signs of becoming a legitimate starting quarterback in this league last year, so Jacksonville will need a fallback option just in case he doesn't improve.

Miami Dolphins: Sign Matt Flynn

Matt Flynn threw for more yards in one game than any quarterback in Green Bay history in Week 17. He has started only two games in his pro career, however, so he's a bit of a risk - but not if he signs with the Dolphins.

New Miami head coach Joe Philbin is very familiar with Flynn, having coached him the past four years. It also helps that Brandon Marshall reached out to Flynn, mentioning so at the Pro Bowl. This is a perfect fit.

Kansas City Chiefs: Sign Jason Campbell

The Chiefs aren't really in a position to do anything with the quarterback position this offseason. Scott Pioli will give Matt Cassel another year, as his options are very limited right now.

I do think Kansas City will sign Jason Campbell to be a solid backup in the event of another Cassel injury. Jim Zorn, the team's current quarterbacks coach, worked with Campbell when the two were in Washington.

Seattle Seahawks: Draft QB on Day 2

Pete Carroll recently stated that Tarvaris Jackson will be the starting quarterback in 2012. But that doesn't mean that he won't spend a second-day pick on a quarterback.

But which one? Most of the prospects are in play. Ryan Tannehill is very talented, but Seattle will have to move up for him in the back end of the first round to get him. Carroll still has Pac-10/12 ties, so he will likely have inside information on Brock Osweiler and Nick Foles. Brandon Weeden had a great Senior Bowl week, so he's certainly an option in Round 2.

The current favorite is Kirk Cousins. He comes from a pro-style offense, and the Seahawks have shown interest in him. USC and Seahawks beat writer Scott Enyeart tweeted recently, "(Pete) Carroll has been evaluating Kirk Cousins since this summer at the Elite 11 camp in Malibu, where Kirk was a counselor."

Arizona Cardinals: Pay Kevin Kolb

Kevin Kolb's status is currently up in the air. He has a $7 million bonus due on March 17. Adam Caplan of Sirius NFL Radio predicts that Arizona will pay Kolb the money, while others believe the Cardinals will part ways with him.

My guess is that Arizona will try Kolb out for one more year if it loses to Washington in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes. Even though he showed nothing last season, cutting him after just one season after acquiring him for a second-round pick and a first-round corner would be kind of silly. Besides, John Skelton showed some promise, so he can start if Kolb falters.

I already mentioned why I believe the Cardinals won't land Manning. It could still happen though, and if it does, Kolb would go to either Cleveland or Washington. The other team would then be the favorite to acquire Robert Griffin.

New York Jets: Draft Brandon Weeden

Brandon Weeden had a strong Senior Bowl, so the Jets will have to use a second-round pick on a 29-year-old quarterback. The move makes sense; the team doesn't have the cap room to bring in Peyton Manning, and spending another first-rounder on a quarterback would be pretty redundant.

Weeden is no ordinary rookie coming into the league; he's mature and should be able to step in quickly if Mark Sanchez continues to disappoint.

DMAC
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/thinking-thought-20-5.gif?w=220&h=165

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
That was my prediction too. If Saunders and Zorn are both on the staff next season...it only makes sense.

That said...I would not be happy with that move.

KC_Lee
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Kansas City Chiefs: Sign Jason Campbell

The Chiefs aren't really in a position to do anything with the quarterback position this offseason. Scott Pioli will give Matt Cassel another year, as his options are very limited right now.

I do think Kansas City will sign Jason Campbell to be a solid backup in the event of another Cassel injury. Jim Zorn, the team's current quarterbacks coach, worked with Campbell when the two were in Washington.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Direckshun
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
To be fair, what's Pioli supposed to do?

All options considered, Cassel and Orton are the only legitimate starters for the Chiefs in 2011.

It's not responsible to trade away the house for RG3, there are no other QBs you can responsibly draft at #11/#12 overall, and the only FA QB worth a damn is Peyton Manning, who is a huge injury risk.

Campbell comes in to push Cassel, and is he not a solid backup option?

I mean, seriously. What other options do we have?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Orton > Campbell

Fritz88
02-03-2012, 09:38 AM
This team is destined to not have an elite QB.

Live with it.

Direckshun
02-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Orton > Campbell

Dollar signs.

Orton will want a multi-year-starter money.

Campbell will take backup money.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Dollar signs.

Then hopefully Oakland resigns him.

RippedmyFlesh
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
If and it's a big if, there is actually a fair competition I believe Campbell would beat out Cassell.

Fritz88
02-03-2012, 09:40 AM

All options considered, Cassel and Orton are the only legitimate starters for the Chiefs in 2011.

It's not responsible to trade away the house for RG3, there are no other QBs you can responsibly draft at #11/#12 overall, and the only FA QB worth a damn is Peyton Manning, who is a huge injury risk.

The price that you will pay to trade up to RGIII is the same price you will pay to trade up in 2013's draft because at that point I am very sure we will draft much lower than 11 or 12. I think we will be in the 20-23 range. So it's going to be the same no matter what.

Sofa King
02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/thinking-thought-20-5.gif?w=220&h=165

You mother fucker

RippedmyFlesh
02-03-2012, 09:45 AM

I would trade the house,tractor, assorted livestock and your kidneys for RG3.

suds79
02-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Why would Peyton want to screw over his brother by going to the Redskins?

I don't see him being in the same division with his brother.

boogblaster
02-03-2012, 09:46 AM
nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo....damit ... nnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Direckshun
02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
The price that you will pay to trade up to RGIII is the same price you will pay to trade up in 2013's draft because at that point I am very sure we will draft much lower than 11 or 12. I think we will be in the 20-23 range. So it's going to be the same no matter what.

I have absolutely no idea how you arrive at this conclusion.

patteeu
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM

I don't think Manning will be much of an injury risk if he ends up playing for someone this year. And if the Chiefs could sign him as a FA, I'd be all for it. But I don't think the Chiefs will want to pay the price necessary so I agree he won't be a realistic option.

I don't think Campbell would be a bad choice as a veteran backup. The team sure would have been better off with him than with Palko this year. I'd rather see Orton, but I think Campbell is less of a threat to stand in the way of the Chiefs looking for a different starter next year if Cassel fails.

JD10367

Sadly for Chiefs fans, this post is accurate. I guess Campbell's not that bad (at least he's never thrown more INTs than TDs in a season). They can let Campbell and Cassel battle it out, while probably secretly hoping that Stanzi has a balls-to-the-wall training camp and beats them both out. (And take a mid-round flier on an underrated QB with upside.)

patteeu
Dollar signs.

Exactly.

Fritz88
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I have absolutely no idea how you arrive at this conclusion.

We are going to have to get a franchise QB this year or the next. Why not trade up in this draft because we will have to trade up in 2013 and we wont have the luxury of a 12th overall pick. This is all under the assumption that we win the division next year which is very likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

mnchiefsguy
02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Why would Peyton want to screw over his brother by going to the Redskins?

I don't see him being in the same division with his brother.

This makes sense. Also, Peyton is not coming back for the money..he wants another ring, especially if Eli wins another one on Sunday. Peyton will go to whichever team he believes he can take to the Super Bowl. Peyton has too much football smarts to believe Washington is the team. If he does sign there, it means he wants money more than another Super Bowl, and I have a tough time seeing him do that, but it is possible.

suds79
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
There's just not a lot of good options out there outside of going after Manning.

Luck is going #1. RG3 is being drafted 2 or 3.

So what else is there? No 2nd-mid round QB is going to come in and challenge him. I'm not sure the QB crop is all that good anyways.

It's nothing to be excited about but Campbell > Cassel. At this point for me, anything to get Matt out of there.

Still need to look for that QB of the future though obviously.

trndobrd
02-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I would be fine with Orton, Campbell, Stanzi, Scrub going into training camp. At least Orton and Campbell are legitimate (not elite) NFL quarterbacks.

patteeu
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
We are going to have to get a franchise QB this year or the next. Why not trade up in this draft because we will have to trade up in 2013 and we wont have the luxury of a 12th overall pick. This is all under the assumption that we win the division next year which is very likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because no one is going to want to trade down with us.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I said it when the Raiders acquired him - Campbell's a better QB than Cassel is.

Orton's better than Campbell, but if he won't sign here, then he won't sign here.

Look at what Campbell has done over the last few years - he's about as average as a quarterback gets. He tends to sit right in that 13-17 range in QB rating. His YPA are in the same general area; right around 7 YPA.

He's as talented as Alex Smith and can do what Alex did for the 9ers this year. In fact, I don't see why he couldn't be about what Flacco is for the Ravens. Would it be likely that we could win with him? No, not likely. But unlike with Cassel, it's not impossible.

We could do worse. For the last 3 seasons we have done worse.

the Talking Can
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
it's awesome to be a Chiefs fan

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
why are we never in the "official" manning discussions?

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I said it when the Raiders acquired him - Campbell's a better QB than Cassel is.

Orton's better than Campbell, but if he won't sign here, then he won't sign here.

Look at what Campbell has done over the last few years - he's about as average as a quarterback gets. He tends to sit right in that 13-17 range in QB rating. His YPA are in the same general area; right around 7 YPA.

He's as talented as Alex Smith and can do what Alex did for the 9ers this year. In fact, I don't see why he couldn't be about what Flacco is for the Ravens. Would it be likely that we could win with him? No, not likely. But unlike with Cassel, it's not impossible.

This.

Orton > Campbell > Cassel

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I wonder where Orton ends up according to WF?

Assuming he wanted to go to a team where he would be the starter...if he isn't according to this projection, why wouldn't he consider resigning with us?

He isn't going to get "starter" money anywhere else according to WF.

suds79
02-03-2012, 10:09 AM

:clap:

ChiTown
There isn't enough UCK to express the amount of suck in this possibility. Why is this franchise so QB retarded?

The Franchise
And honestly.....I think the Browns go with Matt Flynn. If they sign Flynn....then that opens unlimited possibilities for them in the 1st round. They can grab Richardson or Blackmon (if he's there) at #4. If RGIII falls to #4.....they can trade back and get more picks to help build that team up.

crazycoffey

do the 49ers resign alex?

lcarus
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
This team is destined to not have an elite QB.

Live with it.

Hell I've been used to it for over a decade. We just gotta hope and wait for the next "pretty good" QB to come around, ala Trent Green.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM

No shit, man.

We are some abused spouses 'round here, aren't we?

Your 2012 motto:

The Kansas City Chiefs: "He's sweet when he's sober..."

mlyonsd
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Just shoot me if that happens.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
do the 49ers resign alex?

Can they not?

I mean they could go ahead and roll the dice on Flynn or Orton, or even Manning I guess. But Smith just had a very nice year for them doing exactly what Harbaugh asked him to do. And he became something of a local legend with his 4th quarter against New Orleans.

I guess they could let him go, but I don't think they would. I'm sure they're not ready to hand the reigns over to Kaepernick when they have the chance to rule that division (such as it is) for the foreseeable future.

Munson
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I'd sign Campbell if it meant that Cassel never ever saw the field again.

listopencil
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM

^

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I'd sign Campbell if it meant that Cassel never ever saw the field again.

I'd sign Jake Plummer if it meant Cassel never saw the field again.

The Rick
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Also, remember that with all that money available, Snyder will be able to bring in Manning's entire entourage. That includes Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and possibly Pierre Garcon and Robert Mathis.
So the Redskins are going to bring in 6 Indianapolis starters all in one offseason? :spock:

durtyrute
02-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Orton > Campbell

This.

O.city
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't see Manning as a Skin. He doesn't fit that offense at all. He's a pocket guy.

Although we are talking about Snyder so anything is possible I guess.

The thing with Orton and Campbell is that they have never been on teams that have elite talent on offense.

I agree that great qb play does rise the level of the wr's, most of the great qbs right now have solid wr cores.

IMO I think Orton or Campbell could be successful here.

Braincase
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Signing Campbell only makes sense if a) Al Saunders becomes the OC and b) we know for sure that MC is incapable of learning Al Saunders' scheme.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Can they not?

I mean they could go ahead and roll the dice on Flynn or Orton, or even Manning I guess. But Smith just had a very nice year for them doing exactly what Harbaugh asked him to do. And he became something of a local legend with his 4th quarter against New Orleans.

I guess they could let him go, but I don't think they would. I'm sure they're not ready to hand the reigns over to Kaepernick when they have the chance to rule that division (such as it is) for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, I really didn't ask that in typical CP tone. They need to resign him, or tag him, IMO. But he's not much talked about. I did read one thing about the 49ers making a play for manning. Not that I'm putting much stock in it.

kepp
02-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Sounds like it should be WTF.com

tyton75
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm actually great with getting a quality Vet backup on the cheap... beats Tyler Palko off the bench!

Brock
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
This guy appears to know the Chiefs pretty well.

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Washington is going to trade up for RGIII if they go after a QB.

O.city
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Hell I'll take Vince Young over Cassel at this point.

el borracho
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Options (in no particular order):
Sign Flynn as a free agent
Trade for Mallet
Sink or swim with Stanzi for a year

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Signing Campbell only makes sense if a) Al Saunders becomes the OC and b) we know for sure that MC is incapable of learning Al Saunders' scheme.

WTF does B matter?

Even if MC is capable of learning Saunders' scheme - Campbell is simply a more talented QB.

If Saunders is the OC, Campbell's a great fit - period. Who gives a shit if Cassel can learn the offense at that point? Campbell already knows it and is a better QB than Cassel.

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 10:50 AM
If you hire Saunders.....why wouldn't you bring in a QB that's familiar with the scheme?

the Talking Can
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Can they not?

all i want is to some day be rooting for an awesome QB...for a franchise that gives a shit...that's all...once in 30 years

year 4 of the Era of Pioli and I'm rooting for Cassel/Orton/Campbell...oh and spinning tales about "Alex Smith (former first round pick)"....

O.city
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Maybe the Cowboys will sign Manning and cut Romo.

We pick up Romo.

Winning.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
all i want is to some day be rooting for an awesome QB...for a franchise that gives a shit...that's all...once in 30 years

year 4 of the Era of Pioli and I'm rooting for Cassel/Orton/Campbell...oh and spinning tales about "Alex Smith"....

Maybe someday we'll stumble into the former.

I don't get the impression that we'll see the latter for a loooong time. There's very little about Clark Hunt to suggest to me that he really gives a large rat's ass about winning football games.

Our best hope is that he eventually realizes that winning football games will make him a whole lot more money. I think he knows right now that he can spend way under the cap and pocket the difference; revenue sharing makes spending money a bad business decision in the NFL.

When the cap floor comes in, however, hopefully he'll be prodded into building a winner in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

O.city
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Heard a tidbit of his interview today. He said something about they were 20 million under this last year and can take that into next year. THey plan on locking up our own FA's and looking to others.

Sofa King
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM

We pick up Romo.

Winning.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/082009/1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif

arrowheadnation
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Would rather have Peyton Manning in a hospital bed than Campbell. At least I would have hope prior to the season.

tmax63
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Nobody here has come up with an answer though about Orton. WF doesn't show him anywhere and if nobody knocks down his door offering a starting job and a multi-year contract the the Chiefs might make him an offer that keeps him in house. I know Orton from his time with the donkeys and although not a star QB I think he could do quite well with the tools on offense the Chiefs have.

Hydrae
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I wonder where Orton ends up according to WF?

Assuming he wanted to go to a team where he would be the starter...if he isn't according to this projection, why wouldn't he consider resigning with us?

He isn't going to get "starter" money anywhere else according to WF.

I was wondering the same thing. If Orton is such a hot prospect to get a multi-year starter contract somewhere then why are we not hearing anything about it, especially in an article like this one? And if the consensus here is that Orton > Campbell, why are we talking about how Campbell would do here?

I must be missing something.

the Talking Can
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing. If Orton is such a hot prospect to get a multi-year starter contract somewhere then why are we not hearing anything about it, especially in an article like this one? And if the consensus here is that Orton > Campbell, why are we talking about how Campbell would do here?

because Orton is a nobody...he's a marginally above average QB who has won jack shit...no one is going to be hot after him with a big contract...same for campbell

O.city
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Mike Vick hasn't won jack shit either and he just got 100 million dollars.

Most qbs who have won jack shit don't tend to make it to free agency.

morphius
02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
because Orton is a nobody...he's a marginally above average QB who has won jack shit...no one is going to be hot after him with a big contract...same for campbell
Yup, I can't imagine any team is licking their chomps to get a chance at signing Orton. Players like Orton are players you settle on, not players you really go after.

Brock
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Mike Vick hasn't won jack shit either and he just got 100 million dollars.

Most qbs who have won jack shit don't tend to make it to free agency.

You didn't just compare Vick to Orton.

O.city
02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
No, if it seemed taht way I didn't mean it too.

I was just stating that people get overpaid all the time. And Vick has not won shit. The Eagles paid a guy 100 million to play quarterback.

they essentially got a guy who will play 11 or 12 games a year there do to injury.

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Maybe we have Orton, Cassel and Campbell?
Stanzi gets kicked out?

who knows:shrug:

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Hell I'll take Vince Young over Cassel at this point.

wow....that is extreme.

Simply Red
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Orton > Campbell

this

Dave Lane
02-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Orton > Campbell

Cassel > Campbell

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM

We pick up Romo.

Winning.

We are a pathetic lot, just hoping a bigger crumb will fall to the floor than the last time.

TEX
02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Cassel > Campbell

Orton > Cassel > Campbell

KC CAN win with Orton. No question. Honestly if the Chiefs feel they can't draft a solid QB product or sign Manning, then I'd sign Orton and go into next season with he, Cassel, and Stanzi at QB and be done with it and move on to addressing other needs.

pr_capone
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I will flat fucking RAGE if Campbell is signed. We don't need Campbell as we already have a borderline inept NFL QB on the roster in Kasl.

Sannyasi
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Walter Football has no kind of inside information, he is just an educated fan who makes guesses.

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2012, 12:16 PM

I think the thought is we want someone who can push Cassel out the door, not compete with him or be Cassel's backup. We want someone who can push him to take the starter job away. How hard should that be? I don't think that is Campbell.

JD10367
02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Trade for Mallet

Rofl

Yeah, that'd go over big around here...

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Walter Football has no kind of inside information, he is just an educated fan who makes guesses.

No shit......really?

morphius
02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Orton > Cassel > Campbell

KC CAN win with Orton. No question. Honestly if the Chiefs feel they can't draft a solid QB product or sign Manning, then I'd sign Orton and go into next season with he, Cassel, and Stanzi at QB and be done with it and move on to addressing other needs.
He scored 19 in one game, and then 13 and 7 in the last 2 games. Exactly what part of that makes you think he can really be a winner for us? That says to me that the team may win some, but don't count on him for much.

Dave Lane
02-03-2012, 12:29 PM

year 4 of the Era of Pioli and I'm rooting for Cassel/Orton/Campbell...oh and spinning tales about "Alex Smith (former first round pick)"....

This

Cassel = Orton = Campbell

Get me a fucking good goddamn QB for a change. The above debate is, is it better to win 6 7 or 8 games.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
He scored 19 in one game, and then 13 and 7 in the last 2 games. Exactly what part of that makes you think he can really be a winner for us? That says to me that the team may win some, but don't count on him for much.

Scoring points is not the only yard stick.

He sustained a lot of drives that kept the defense of the field, that did not result in a lot of points. He had very few 3 and outs, which makes him a HOF QB compared to Cassel in my book. He could have easily been 3-0 if the fgs don't get blocked.

Its about winning, not just scoring points.

patteeu
02-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I think the thought is we want someone who can push Cassel out the door, not compete with him or be Cassel's backup. We want someone who can push him to take the starter job away. How hard should that be? I don't think that is Campbell.

It must be pretty hard because there are 20 or so fanbases who want the same thing in their cities.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
This

Cassel = Orton = Campbell

Get me a fucking good goddamn QB for a change. The above debate is, is it better to win 6 7 or 8 games.

It's that easy? You just ask for one and you have one?

It's like Royals fans saying "Just go get me a Cy Young Candidate...duh"

The problem is that our QB has been flat out bad, so now we have the inverse of what we used to have - a complete lack of appreciation for a merely 'solid' NFL quarterback.

All of the sudden it's Brady or it's shit. And if that's your metric, then yes, Orton=Cassel in the sense that clearly neither of them are Tom Brady.

The pendulum just goes batshit crazy with this fanbase. Suddenly folks act like there was just no chance in the world that a QB like Trent Green could've ever won a SB and that's just absolutely insane.

A truly decent quarterback can win and win big with this franchise. In the interim, we'd obviously be fools not to continue pursuing an elite QB (because they obviously help extend your competitive window from 3 years to about 8). But to just act like there's no point in moving from Cassel to Orton because neither guy is a HOFer is just stupid fatalist bullshit.

O.city
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
DJ you are spot on IMO.

morphius
02-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Scoring points is not the only yard stick.

He sustained a lot of drives that kept the defense of the field, that did not result in a lot of points. He had very few 3 and outs, which makes him a HOF QB compared to Cassel in my book. He could have easily been 3-0 if the fgs don't get blocked.

Its about winning, not just scoring points.
Might have won that game if he hadn't have thrown 2 ints as well...

O.city
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Might have won the game if Bowe doesn't drop a td pass that hits him right in the numbers either.

People are also forgetting that Orton moved us down the field in the last part of the game TWICE.

Once for the tying score and once again to set up a potential game winning field goal.

Micjones
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Campbell stinks. I'd rather them re-sign Orton.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Might not have thrown 2 ints with more than 3 weeks to learn the playbook.

Then again, we'd have lost by 17 with Cassel under center because we still wouldn't have moved the ball, the defense would've ended up gassed and we'd have gotten gashed in the 4th.

What have we always kicked Cassel's ass the hardest for? His complete refusal to go downfield with the football. Folks - if you push the ball, you're going to throw picks. It's the NFL, those guys are getting paid to play as well, and they're trying to beat you.

Orton threw one bad pick where he looked confused and he threw another that wasn't a bad pick, just a nice play on the ball when we tried to be aggressive. The first pick may not happen when he knows the offense better and the 2nd pick falls into the category of shit happening.

I don't see how you can argue that the team wasn't light years better with Orton under center. They actually had an offense. They moved the sticks, kept the defense fresh and gave themselves a clear chance to win the game. That's a far cry from our performance prior to Orton.

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Orton with Charles would be awesome.

Phobia
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Campbell is almost exactly like Cassel. They both hold the ball and struggle through progressions.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Those guys are pretty clueless. A fuck could be given about thier "predictions".

morphius
02-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Might not have thrown 2 ints with more than 3 weeks to learn the playbook.

Then again, we'd have lost by 17 with Cassel under center because we still wouldn't have moved the ball, the defense would've ended up gassed and we'd have gotten gashed in the 4th.

What have we always kicked Cassel's ass the hardest for? His complete refusal to go downfield with the football. Folks - if you push the ball, you're going to throw picks. It's the NFL, those guys are getting paid to play as well, and they're trying to beat you.

Orton threw one bad pick where he looked confused and he threw another that wasn't a bad pick, just a nice play on the ball when we tried to be aggressive. The first pick may not happen when he knows the offense better and the 2nd pick falls into the category of shit happening.

I don't see how you can argue that the team wasn't light years better with Orton under center. They actually had an offense. They moved the sticks, kept the defense fresh and gave themselves a clear chance to win the game. That's a far cry from our performance prior to Orton.
I'm not sure why the comparison to Cassel matters much, as I don't want either of them running the Chiefs O.

O.city
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
People on here wanna bash Pioli about not getting us a franchise qb, then throw out some crazy ass situation where we get one.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Remember when we played Washington not too long ago?

They benched Campbell at the half because he couldn't play well against the career day defense.

Zorn was his HC

These guys need to sign Orton or make a significant move to trade up.

Anything else will be more wasted time.

suds79
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
People on here wanna bash Pioli about not getting us a franchise qb, then throw out some crazy ass situation where we get one.

We all agree that franchise QBs don't grow on trees. Seems as though you have to draft them high which unfortunately we're not in a position to do this year. Maybe next year.

I think what people want is not a guy who never makes mistakes. It's a guy who isn't so stubborn he can't admit he made a mistake in Cassel. If Scott brings in someone who realistically could replace Cassel, he'd go a long ways in turning around people's perception of him.

BigChiefFan
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
TRADE UP!!!! For God's sake. Please get a franchise QB. I don't give a shit if it takes two full years of drafts.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
We all agree that franchise QBs don't grow on trees. Seems as though you have to draft them high which unfortunately we're not in a position to do this year. Maybe next year.

I think what people want is not a guy who never makes mistakes. It's a guy who isn't so stubborn he can't admit he made a mistake in Cassel. If Scott brings in someone who realistically could replace Cassel, he'd go a long ways in turning around people's perception of him.

Sign Orton, cut Cassel, draft a QB in the first 3 rounds and I'll stop giving him shit about candy wrappers.

Trade up for RGIII and I'll let him fuck my sister.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
TRADE UP!!!! For God's sake. Please get a franchise QB. I don't give a shit if it takes two full years of drafts.

Then there are the ideologues...

There is no world where RGIII is worth 2 years worth of draft picks.

saphojunkie
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
It's that easy? You just ask for one and you have one?

It's like Royals fans saying "Just go get me a Cy Young Candidate...duh"

The problem is that our QB has been flat out bad, so now we have the inverse of what we used to have - a complete lack of appreciation for a merely 'solid' NFL quarterback.

All of the sudden it's Brady or it's shit. And if that's your metric, then yes, Orton=Cassel in the sense that clearly neither of them are Tom Brady.

The pendulum just goes batshit crazy with this fanbase. Suddenly folks act like there was just no chance in the world that a QB like Trent Green could've ever won a SB and that's just absolutely insane.

A truly decent quarterback can win and win big with this franchise. In the interim, we'd obviously be fools not to continue pursuing an elite QB (because they obviously help extend your competitive window from 3 years to about 8). But to just act like there's no point in moving from Cassel to Orton because neither guy is a HOFer is just stupid fatalist bullshit.

Well guess what? This franchise hasn't even bothered to "ask for one" (draft a QB in the first round.), so dismissing the idea is ridiculous.

And, YES, it is either an elite QB or it is nothing. Unless you think that Eli Manning is just "decent," in which case you must not have seen him throw for over 4900 yards this year.

Drew Brees, 2nd round (if he came out these days, no way he drops to 2nd)
Eli Manning, 1st overall
Tom Brady, 6th round
Alex Smith, 1st overall
Joe Flacco, 1st round
Tim Tebow, 1st round
Matthew Stafford, 1st overall
T.J. Yates, 5th round (backup who took over)
Ben Roethlisberger, 1st round
Aaron Rodgers, 1st round
Andy Dalton, 2nd round
Matt Ryan, 1st round

Eight out of twelve quarterbacks to make the playoffs this year were drafted in the first round. Two of the others, Brady and Brees, are at the peak of their game. Brady is one of, if not THE best quarterback ever, and Brees just broke the single season passing record.

To say that you can have a decent quarterback, or that you can rely on alternate ways of getting a winning QB other than drafting one with your highest pick is just not realistic.

BigChiefFan
02-03-2012, 01:40 PM

There is no world where RGIII is worth 2 years worth of draft picks.I'm not talking about RG3. I'd throw all my chips in and bet the future on Luck.

saphojunkie
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM

There is no world where RGIII is worth 2 years worth of draft picks.

Oh yeah? You wouldn't trade Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson for RG3? That's two first rounders.

How about we throw in Alex Magee? That's two firsts and a second.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

O.city
02-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Well guess what? This franchise hasn't even bothered to "ask for one" (draft a QB in the first round.), so dismissing the idea is ridiculous.

And, YES, it is either an elite QB or it is nothing. Unless you think that Eli Manning is just "decent," in which case you must not have seen him throw for over 4900 yards this year.

Drew Brees, 2nd round (if he came out these days, no way he drops to 2nd)
Eli Manning, 1st overall
Tom Brady, 6th round
Alex Smith, 1st overall
Joe Flacco, 1st round
Tim Tebow, 1st round
Matthew Stafford, 1st overall
T.J. Yates, 5th round (backup who took over)
Ben Roethlisberger, 1st round
Aaron Rodgers, 1st round
Andy Dalton, 2nd round
Matt Ryan, 1st round

Eight out of twelve quarterbacks to make the playoffs this year were drafted in the first round. Two of the others, Brady and Brees, are at the peak of their game. Brady is one of, if not THE best quarterback ever, and Brees just broke the single season passing record.

To say that you can have a decent quarterback, or that you can rely on alternate ways of getting a winning QB other than drafting one with your highest pick is just not realistic.

Just because those guys are drafted in the first round doesn't mean shit.

Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Yates, Tebow, Flacco, Smith are game managers IMO.

2 of the 3 top qbs this postseason didn't make the Conference championship game.

And the other one that made the SB had a 50 qbr and threw 2 picks in the AFC championship game.

It's not as easy as get a franchise qb and win SB"s. You have to build a competitive, solid football team.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Offer the rams our first, second and Dorsey.

If that's not enough, add in next years 2nd rounder.

Sannyasi
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
No shit......really?

Yes, but that won't stop this from turning into a 100 post thread of people flipping out about nothing.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM

good point, no doubt. At least they were in a position to win it at the end, and he wasn't the QB in any of the blow outs.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah? You wouldn't trade Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson for RG3? That's two first rounders.

Is Magee back with the Chiefs?

Frankie
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM

2012 Offseason Quarterback Predictions
Published Feb. 3, 2012
Follow me @walterfootball

By my estimation, the teams most likely to sign Peyton Manning in order are the: Redskins, Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets and Seahawks.

Brandon Weeden had a strong Senior Bowl, so the Jets will have to use a second-round pick on a 29-year-old quarterback. The move makes sense; the team doesn't have the cap room to bring in Peyton Manning, and spending another first-rounder on a quarterback would be pretty redundant.

This is how I know this guy is full of it.

whoman69
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I think the OP is crap. There is no way the Chiefs don't have the cap space to do this. They were $32 million under last year, signed Siler, Flowers and Succop along with some minor pieces. They have the cap room, the defense, don't face Eli twice a year and a hell of a lot more talent on offense than the Redskins.

BossChief
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
The redskins and Jets are both right at the cap.

I don't see how either team could pull off signing PM.

Fritz88
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
The redskins and Jets are both right at the cap.

I don't see how either team could pull off signing PM.

Redskins...Maybe.

But Jets, I am pretty sure Manning would take a pay cut to play in the Jets. They are, truly, a QB away.

O.city
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
The Jets are not a qb away.

That defense is old and they have no wrs.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM

That's not 2 seasons worth.

And I notice you didn't include any of the other guys we got in that Dorsey draft. Or mention the drafts of the last 2 years.

Giving up 1 season worth of picks for a player is defensible, IMO. It's not what I would do, but again, it's defensible.

Giving up two seasons worth of picks, not the first round mind you, but the entire freakin' draft - is completely asinine.

If it's Luck, it's still probably not wise. You forget just how many players you'd have to bring in FA to fill basic holes and provide depth. And those guys aren't cheap, so suddenly you're forced to let Albert go and put a scrub in at LT. Now Luck's running for his life. You definitely can't afford Carr, or extensions for Houston or Berry at that point because you've let your player development go to shit.

Drafts are as important for the depth they provide (allowing to to spend money on your great players) as they are for actually procuring said great players.

Brock
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
The Jets are not a qb away.

That defense is old and they have no wrs.

Yeah, they do.

O.city
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
What wr's do they have?

Plax is a free agent who said he's not likely to be back in NY and Santonio is overrated

The Franchise
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Why the fuck would Peyton Manning want to work with Rex Ryan?

jd1020
02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Holmes isn't overrated. He's just a headcase.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 03:58 PM

5 of the 12 teams that made the playoffs this year did so without a quarterback that is demonstrably better than Kyle Orton.

2 of those 5 teams that made the final 4.

And both of those teams would have won their conference championship games but/for WRs with bad hands; one of whom dropped the GW touchdown pass and the other dropped enough punts to put the Giants in overtime, the consequently allow them to win it.

Neither the 49ers nor the Ravens lost their conference championship games because of their quarterbacks. Nor did the Giants or Patriots win because of their quarterbacks.

A premier quarterback is the ideal answer, but it's not the only answer. I agree that the Chiefs need to make a commitment to the position, but ask the Giants if they'd be in the SB without Jason Pierre-Paul. Ask the Patriots if they'd be here without Gronk.

You cannot forsake your entire football team to get a QB. You simply remain persistent, consistently try to address the QB position, and continue to look for value and opportunity in the draft.

There is no value at the QB position in this year's draft.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM

I could live with that.

But the Rams can likely do much better. When you start talking about throwing in next years 1st on top of that (and that might be what it would take), you start to get in awfully worrisome territory.

RGIII is electrict, but he's not Luck. I'd do it for Luck, but RGIII is a different story.

I still wonder if they won't make Bradford available.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Depression is setting in.

At this rate...I just hope we sign Orton.

FML.

http://thexlog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Optimized-OrtonChiefs.jpg

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Redskins...Maybe.

But Jets, I am pretty sure Manning would take a pay cut to play in the Jets. They are, truly, a QB away.

:spock:

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I think Orton might actually be our best option. Sad as that may be to some.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
:spock:

If the Jets are a quarterback away from the SB, so are we.

And we could pay him more.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Said it in another thread, but what do you guys think about Vince Young.

02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
does anyone really think that Manning would want to go to Washington? I think he would care more about getting back to the superbowl than just getting paid.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Head case.

Pass.

Next.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
If the Jets are a quarterback away from the SB, so are we.

And we could pay him more.

Agreed, I like our talent position better than theirs, save the QB.

As I said back in October, history is destined to repeat itself, and Peyton would sure be it.

The biggest set back, just may be that the team does not have to make the cap floor again this season. If they did, it would be a lock IMO. I think Clark is recovering his stadium upgrade investment.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Vince Young got a shitty deal in Tennessee and he won games.

I'd take him.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Better than Cassel, that's about it.

I was pretty damn unimpressed by his performance in Philly when he really had a chance to re-establish himself. I know injuries played a part, but tough luck kid.

Things couldn't have set up any better for him and he was still thoroughly mediocre. Would I take him over Cassel? Yup, no question. But that falls far short of an endorsement.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I thought he played fairly well in Philly. He had some injury issues.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Young is a first round pick so there you guys go.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Agreed, I like our talent position better than theirs, save the QB.

As I said back in October, history is destined to repeat itself, and Peyton would sure be it.

The biggest set back, just may be that the team does not have to make the cap floor again this season. If they did, it would be a lock IMO. I think Clark is recovering his stadium upgrade investment.

Campbell wouldn't move the needle in ticket sales. Nor would Orton or Flynn or Weeden or any other QB not named Luck or RGIII.

Manning, OTOH, would likely double season-ticket sales. And if he signs a 3 year deal and can actually perform at 90% of a Manning level, we'd win 11-13 games/season and pack the house.

If Clark has even the slightest interest in winning games while recouping his investment, Manning would be a damn nice risk.

But I think the problem is that he simply doesn't care about winning games at all. If he has a 100% chance of making back 100% of his money, or a 66% chance of making back 120% of his money, he's going to go with the guaranteed 100% because it's the smarter business decision. Nevermind the fact that the latter is a far better football decision.

Rasputin
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
History repeats itself

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIL-uFB7cIc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIL-uFB7cIc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

History repeats itself

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Campbell wouldn't move the needle in ticket sales. Nor would Orton or Flynn or Weeden or any other QB not named Luck or RGIII.

Manning, OTOH, would likely double season-ticket sales. And if he signs a 3 year deal and can actually perform at 90% of a Manning level, we'd win 11-13 games/season and pack the house.

If Clark has even the slightest interest in winning games while recouping his investment, Manning would be a damn nice risk.

But I think the problem is that he simply doesn't care about winning games at all. If he has a 100% chance of making back 100% of his money, or a 66% chance of making back 120% of his money, he's going to go with the guaranteed 100% because it's the smarter business decision. Nevermind the fact that the latter is a far better football decision.
I agree with everything you said, except for the last part, and that could very well be right, we will soon see
I am just not convinced that he doesn't care yet, as I think he wants to get his due with the NFL fraternity of owners. He showed it some, getting involved on the lockout negotiations.

I really don't think he would have hired Pioli if he didn't care about winning, and he would have milked those contracts of fired coaches, like McCaskey does in Chicago. Instead, he paid Herm and others, while also paying their replacements, I think.

Peyton would no doubt cause a waiting list for season tickets, and this may very well be what they are saving cap room for. We can dream, right?

The other part of the cheap payroll, is that he did commit, at Herm's recommendation, to build through the draft=low payroll. We will see how long they stay committed to that, based on ticket sales. Between this and recovering his stadium investment, we may have the true story. But it will soon play out for all of us to see.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
If you bring in Peyton Manning, all Chief sales would increase.

Parking lots would be full, stands would be rocking, and beers would be flowing with bbq in the air.

If Manning could come here for 3 or 4 years we could actually win some SB's if he is healthy.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
If you bring in Peyton Manning, all Chief sales would increase.

Parking lots would be full, stands would be rocking, and beers would be flowing with bbq in the air.

If Manning could come here for 3 or 4 years we could actually win some SB's if he is healthy.

It is 1993 all over again! But it actually makes more sense this time to me, and it sure fits the Chiefs SOP.

I was pissed last time with Montana, but wouldn't be with Manning, because I am convinced that Lamar has put it in his will that this team can not draft a 1st round QB.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
If you got Manning on board for 3 or 4 years, you have 3 or 4 years to get your qb and go witht he Packers Rodgers scenario.

I was pretty young when it happened, but wasn't Montana like a play away from taking us to the SB?

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
If you got Manning on board for 3 or 4 years, you have 3 or 4 years to get your qb and go witht he Packers Rodgers scenario.

I was pretty young when it happened, but wasn't Montana like a play away from taking us to the SB?

No, not really.

Maybe he was a season away from taking us to the SB; father time just kicked him right in the dick during the AFC title game. He just looked very very old all of the sudden against Buffalo. Maybe if he were a year younger it wouldn't have happened that way.

We flat got our asses kicked in that game. Maybe a play in the 2nd quarter, before they started to pull away on us (after we started out hot), could've made a difference. Maybe if we convert a TD from one of those early FGs it would've tightened Buffalo up.

But that's pretty speculative. Mostly it just looked like the whole damn thing came apart in the span of about 15 minutes.

O.city
02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I couldn't remember.

DJ, what should we do?

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I couldn't remember.

DJ, what should we do?

Oh, I'd take Manning in a heartbeat.

Manning's a year younger than Montana was and he's a much different QB. Montana was starting to slide when he was 35 whereas Manning was as good as ever. Though Montana had some nasty injury stuff and certainly Manning has the same risks. That said, Montana had injury issues his entire career, as well as a pretty small frame. Further, Montana wasn't as physically impressive as Manning, so his margin for decline was much thinner than Mannings is.

I think Mannings age 36-38 seasons will be similar to Montana's age 32-34 seasons.

Meanwhile, we can continue to work on finding a young QB to take the reigns after Manning. Though I wouldn't draft a QB this season at that point. In all honesty, I'd go ahead and keep Cassel as a #2 then (he's cheap insurance at $5 million/season), lord knows there's no risk that Crennel plays him over Manning. Peyton as the starter is the only scenario where I'd keep Cassel on the roster. Then I'd cut his ass in 2013 and draft from what is likely to be a much better QB pool. Trading up into the mid-teens next season to grab someone like Bray or Wilson will be pretty doable.

If it were my team, I'd go after Manning without hesitation. I'd have even hired Tom Moore in some capacity (OC if necessary) if it helped bring Manning in. I'd go get Rich Gannon after hearing him talk about coaching up QBs and see if he'd take the QB Coach job with an eye on making him the OC in a few years (provided he doesn't suck).

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
No, not really.

Maybe he was a season away from taking us to the SB; father time just kicked him right in the dick during the AFC title game. He just looked very very old all of the sudden against Buffalo. Maybe if he were a year younger it wouldn't have happened that way.

We flat got our asses kicked in that game. Maybe a play in the 2nd quarter, before they started to pull away on us (after we started out hot), could've made a difference. Maybe if we convert a TD from one of those early FGs it would've tightened Buffalo up.

But that's pretty speculative. Mostly it just looked like the whole damn thing came apart in the span of about 15 minutes.

Nobody was beating Buffalo in Buffalo at that time.

The big mistake was when Marty kicked a FG against the Bears at the 1 being up 2 putting them up by 5 with under 2 minutes, which allowed them to come back and win. That loss put the Chiefs on the road to Buffalo for the Championship game.

That was my first time I recall being pissed at Marty, as the Bears were not going to drive 99 yards with the amount of time left against the Chiefs defense. They win that game, and they have homefield throughout.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Nobody was beating Buffalo in Buffalo at that time.

The big mistake was when Marty kicked a FG against the Bears at the 1 being up 2 putting them up by 5 with under 2 minutes, which allowed them to come back and win. That loss put the Chiefs on the road to Buffalo for the Championship game.

That was my first time I recall being pissed at Marty, as the Bears were not going to drive 99 yards with the amount of time left against the Chiefs defense. They win that game, and they have homefield throughout.

Eh, that was a defensible play. It put the Bears in a position where they had to score a TD to win, not kick a FG. If the Chiefs go for it on 4th and don't make it, the Bears only have to drive about 65 yards to get in range for the figgy.

And you can say "nobody was winning in Buffalo", but recall how many times we said "nobody is going to win in Kansas City" during that same time...and recall how many did.

O.city
02-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I think if Manning is healthy he could play for 3 or 4 years, making whatever team he plays for contenders for that long.

I'd love to bring in a healthy manning, draft Wilson next year and be off to the races. What would Manning be like running Al Saunders offense?

Rams Fan
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Dorsey plays DE, correct?

If so, the Rams don't need him.

Long and Quinn will be solid starters at DE for years, and Hall will be a good 3rd DE for another season or two.

Rams Fan
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I could live with that.

But the Rams can likely do much better. When you start talking about throwing in next years 1st on top of that (and that might be what it would take), you start to get in awfully worrisome territory.

RGIII is electrict, but he's not Luck. I'd do it for Luck, but RGIII is a different story.

I still wonder if they won't make Bradford available.

Kroenke flat out said Sam isn't going anywhere. Fisher likes him.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Dorsey plays DE, correct?

If so, the Rams don't need him.

Long and Quinn will be solid starters at DE for years, and Hall will be a good 3rd DE for another season or two.

He plays DE in the 3-4.

Many people believe he's better suited as an under-tackle in a 4-3.

I used to, though I'm not so sure anymore. I always thought he would be better served as a pass-rushing, gap-shooter of a DT that wasn't designed to occupy space, but to move in it.

Watching him in KC, I don't think he's nearly explosive enough to do that job well. Honestly, he might be exactly where he's best suited.

Though it would be interesting to see if he's capable of busting out in a 4-3.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Kroenke flat out said Sam isn't going anywhere. Fisher likes him.

Eh, good for them.

But if they could deal him for a first rounder, clear a shitload of cap space then use that money on a much more cost effective RGIII (signed under the new rules), they'd probably be better for it.

Bradford is one of the 10 highest paid players in the NFL, right? There's no way he's worth that.

Rams Fan
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Eh, good for them.

But if they could deal him for a first rounder, clear a shitload of cap space then use that money on a much more cost effective RGIII (signed under the new rules), they'd probably be better for it.

Bradford is one of the 10 highest paid players in the NFL, right? There's no way he's worth that.

Kroenke is one of the wealthiest owners in the league and the Rams have like $40 million in cap for next offseason. Money isn't an issue right now.

And since we were talking about Dorsey earlier, I don't think he'd be a bad guy to acquire. However, the Rams need to resign Long(who had a really good season last season) as well as Laurinaitis after this upcoming season, so who knows how much they'll ask for?

dallaschiefsfan
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
why are we never in the "official" manning discussions?

The guy at Walter Football has always written the worst possible scenarios for the Chiefs...he hates our team for some reason. Having said that, he could be right. However, keep in mind he always paints the worst possible outcome for a Chiefs fan by default. Grain of salt.

DJ's left nut
02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
The guy at Walter Football has always written the worst possible scenarios for the Chiefs...he hates our team for some reason. Having said that, he could be right. However, keep in mind he always paints the worst possible outcome for a Chiefs fan by default. Grain of salt.

It could just be that he favors presenting the most likely outcome...and is invariably pretty close to correct.

The worst case scenario is generally pretty accurate with this franchise.

seamonster
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I've had to watch Cambell for years with the redskins and he's as bad as Palko. He won't throw four straight boneheaded interceptions but he will check down and go three and out for two straight years. He's a stinky dogshit quarterback that the chiefs should avoid like the henious plague.

crazycoffey
02-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Probably because the season isn't over, can't sign free agents until after the season ends.

xztop12
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
How would the dolphins have more interest in RG3 than us? aren't they assumed to be linked to Flynn now no matter what?

mnchiefsguy
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
How would the dolphins have more interest in RG3 than us? aren't they assumed to be linked to Flynn now no matter what?

I think Miami will be linked to Flynn, since he knows the coaches there. I also think Cleveland will make a play for Flynn. Holmgren had great success in Seattle with a Green Bay back-up....I could see him trying to do it again if he thinks Flynn's talent is along the lines of Hasselbeck (this also falls into the thinking of, it worked once, why not try it again).

dallaschiefsfan
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
It could just be that he favors presenting the most likely outcome...and is invariably pretty close to correct.

The worst case scenario is generally pretty accurate with this franchise.

I already said he could be right on this. But he's also wrong much of the time because he picks the most loser-option on everything. He basically had us taking ANYONE but Eric Berry...and I remember him making snide remarks about the Chiefs wouldn't make that kind of smart decision, blah, blah, blah. You know...the Chiefs DO make a lot of dumb decisions...but there comes a point when a guy is just making fun and not providing legit anaylysis. Walter Football is almost always sure to caricature the Chiefs, whether they deserve it or not. He's a terrible source for Chiefs news. He's decent on other teams, though.

HemiEd
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Eh, that was a defensible play. It put the Bears in a position where they had to score a TD to win, not kick a FG. If the Chiefs go for it on 4th and don't make it, the Bears only have to drive about 65 yards to get in range for the figgy.

And you can say "nobody was winning in Buffalo", but recall how many times we said "nobody is going to win in Kansas City" during that same time...and recall how many did.

If the Bears were backed up on their 1 with Harbaugh, they were not going 65 yards against the Chiefs D in under 2 minutes. They got in position due to lousy special teams play on the Chiefs part after the field goal.

The Bills went to 4 straight SBs in that stretch, they were NOT losing games at home especially that time of year.

Frankie
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
does anyone really think that Manning would want to go to Washington? I think he would care more about getting back to the superbowl than just getting paid.especially if little bro wins a second one.

Vince Young got a shitty deal in Tennessee and he won games.

I'd take him.Isn't he a head case?

I think if Manning is healthy he could play for 3 or 4 years, making whatever team he plays for contenders for that long.

I'd love to bring in a healthy manning, draft Wilson next year and be off to the races. What would Manning be like running Al Saunders offense?This scenario gives me a funny feeling like I've just turned 15.

Ugly Duck
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Campbell is almost exactly like Cassel. They both hold the ball

They both hold onto the ball, but there's a difference in the outcome of doing so.... sack rate. The NFL average is 6.3%

#1 Jason Campbell 2.9%
#9 Phillip Rivers 4.9%
#10 Carson Palmer 4.9%
#29 Matt Cassel 7.6%
#40 Kyle Orton 9.3%

Tim Tebow is the worst at 11%, but that doesn't really count cuz he's not really a quarterback

Simply Red
02-03-2012, 10:04 PM

LMAO