PDA

View Full Version : Football Patriots cut WR day before Super Bowl

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 09:38 AM
On saturday, Patriots cut Tiquan Underwood to make room for Defensive Line player, Alex Silvestro. Coach felt like he needed more defensive players against the NYG...
Bilichick has no ****ing heart. :mad:

FULL STORY: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-release-receiver-tiquan-underwood-on-super-bowl-eve-020412

Hoover
02-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Lets sign him!

cdcox
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
If Bilichick thought this was the right move, it was the most kind thing he could have done.

To be nice to Underwood, he would have to be mean to his other 52 roster players, everyone else in the Patriots organization and to their millions of fans.

I can't believe anyone would have a problem with that.

Kidd Lex
02-05-2012, 09:46 AM
If Bilichick thought this was the right move, it was the most kind thing he could have done. To be nice to Underwood, he would have to be mean to his other 52 roster players, everyone else in the Patriots organization and to their millions of fans. I can't believe anyone would have a problem with that.

Over/Under on the amount of plays the D-end replacing him plays?

Im sticking with zero. BB was classless in this regard.

Bump
02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
that would suck to be that guy though, but if he thinks it could possibly help win the Superbowl, power to him.

Rain Man
02-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Yeah, that's probably right.

I realize that Belichick is playing the odds, but man, he's cruel.

jspchief
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM

What difference does it make? If the coach determines its best for the team, then do it.

It's not like Noname Underwood earned a suprbowl appearance by being the 53rd best player on the team. If he wanted his shot at a ring, he should have been good enough to not be expendable.

kc rush
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Winning is all that matters here. It sucks for Underwood and his family, but if extra defense is needed, you have to do it.

Mi_chief_fan
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Does he still get to go to the game?

That'd be cool.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
he still gets a ring, right?

Buehler445
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
If Underwood wants to switch me gross profit for the year 2011, I'd happily buy his ass a ticket.

jspchief
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Yes

Amnorix
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM

One thing about Super Bowls, and games between Pats/Giants generally -- usually defenses are pretty gassed by the 2nd half and fourth quarter. I expect this guy to play at least somewhat, whereas Underwood wouldn't.

And if you think this guy had NO IDEA this was coming until last night, you're definitely nuts. Patriots are usually very good at communicating roster moves to their marginal players. One guy was cut/resigned like 20 times this year. It became a standing joke.

Fritz88
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM

I believe so.

kcpasco
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I just read the article and he gets a ring if the Pats win. I will still be looking for this Silvestro kid to see if he even plays a snap.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
CBA says any player active for 8 games still entitled to full SB share. So Tiquan Underwood will receive his SB money and ring, if Pats win.

BoneKrusher
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
CBA says any player active for 8 games still entitled to full SB share. So Tiquan Underwood will receive his SB money and ring, if Pats win.

kinda makes me want to pull for the Pats tonight.

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Receiving a ring is great but he doesn't get to experience being on the sidelines during a SB game. The biggest game in the nation! He might not get another chance to be there again. He was so close.
Alex Silvestro is not going to have a BIG impact let alone any impact. Doubt he will even get in on D.

jspchief
02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Receiving a ring is great but he doesn't get to experience being on the sidelines during a SB game. The biggest game in the nation! He might not get another chance to be there again. He was so close.
Alex Silvestro is not going to have a BIG impact let alone any impact. Doubt he will even get in on D.

So? Neither does 99.9% of the population. The guy caught 3 passes all year. It's not like he earned a trip to the Superbowl. Exactly what impact was he going to have compared to Silvestro?

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Heartless? Classless? :spock:

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
So? Neither does 99.9% of the population. The guy caught 3 passes all year. It's not like he earned a trip to the Superbowl. Exactly what impact was he going to have compared to Silvestro?

So I'm guessing you would feel just fine about getting cut right before you play the biggest game in your life... Hmm...

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Yes 99.9% of the population doesn't have that chance. BUT he was a couple HOURS away from the game... Doesn't matter if he caught 3 passes all year or not...

wazu
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Exactly. He wasn't a good enough player. And of course the way this worked out, now everyone will actually know his name and he'll be marginally famous for something.

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Exactly. He wasn't a good enough player. And of course the way this worked out, now everyone will actually know his name and he'll be marginally famous for something.

Tiquan Underwood is a pretty good wide receiver... I'm sure he will be famous more then this one time...

Buehler445
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes 99.9% of the population doesn't have that chance. BUT he was a couple HOURS away from the game... Doesn't matter if he caught 3 passes all year or not...

Who gives a shit? Nobody is saying it wouldn't blow ass, but that's the breaks man. Bad shit happens to all of us. We've all been shit on by our boss, caught a stretch of bad luck, or just overall had bad shit happen to us. It sucks for the people involved, but it is just life. Nobody seemed to give a shit about me when my corn burned up this summer. The dude is making bank playing a game for a good team. He's got a lot to be happy about.

Non-issue here, people.

milkman
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Who gives a shit? Nobody is saying it wouldn't blow ass, but that's the breaks man. Bad shit happens to all of us. We've all been shit on by our boss, caught a stretch of bad luck, or just overall had bad shit happen to us. It sucks for the people involved, but it is just life. Nobody seemed to give a shit about me when my corn burned up this summer. The dude is making bank playing a game for a good team. He's got a lot to be happy about.

Non-issue here, people.

Didn't hear about your corn, sorry that happened.

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Who gives a shit? Nobody is saying it wouldn't blow ass, but that's the breaks man. Bad shit happens to all of us. We've all been shit on by our boss, caught a stretch of bad luck, or just overall had bad shit happen to us. It sucks for the people involved, but it is just life. Nobody seemed to give a shit about me when my corn burned up this summer. The dude was making bank while playing a game for a good team. He's got a lot to be happy about.

Non-issue here, people.

FYP

R8RFAN
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Giants should hire him as a game day consultant and ask him to bring his playbook with him...

Fuck the Patriots

Marcellus
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
He would have been inactive, no difference really. I am sure he will be at the game on the sideline or whatever. Hell they will probably resign him before next season anyway.

It's a game decision that needed to be made.

Lets bash on the coach going to his 5th SB in 10 years. He is an idiot.

Buehler445
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Didn't hear about your corn, sorry that happened.

It wasn't just me. It was half of Kansas, all of Oklahoma and Texas. I wasn't throwing a pity party. Just trying to make a point.

HonestChieffan
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/giants-patriots-super-bowl-wish-0.jpg?w=499&h=697

Death wears a hoodie

milkman
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Why hasn't Pioli already signed this guy?

Buehler445
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
FYP

Heh. Fair enough.

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Why hasn't Pioli already signed this guy?

Exactly... He also has a excuse to sign him too... He was a Patriot.

boogblaster
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
bs .. a-hole team ....

Setsuna
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Sucks as a WR, but a great ST player. Oh well. I hope they lose on a PR or KR because they let him go. Retards.

Marcellus
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Sucks as a WR, but a great ST player. Oh well. I hope they lose on a PR or KR because they let him go. Retards.

Why are they retards? If they are retards I can't even describe what the KC organization is.

Okie_Apparition
02-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd rather be fired by BIll the day before the Super Bowl than play for Coughlin

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd rather be fired by BIll the day before the Super Bowl than play for Coughlin

Ehhhhhh.... That's stretching it a little tooooooo far.

Rain Man
02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Giants should hire him as a game day consultant and ask him to bring his playbook with him...

**** the Patriots

That'd be hilarious. Could they have actually done it? He'd know all of the Patriots' signals and playcalls.

ziggysocki
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
new internet meme.... "Scumbag Patriots"

R8RFAN
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
The did it with McDaniels didn't they?

Okie_Apparition
02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Tom Coughlin annoys the shit out of me

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
That'd be hilarious. Could they have actually done it? He'd know all of the Patriots' signals and playcalls.

You know... I was hoping Giants would pick him up right after they dropped him...
Wouldn't he get a ring either way then? ROFL

The Franchise
02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
www.Rotoworld.com
Despite being waived late Saturday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Tiquan Underwood is entitled to his full Super Bowl bonus.

The bonus is $88,000. Underwood would also receive a ring if the Patriots win. Per Schefter, Underwood was "unlikely to be active" against the Giants in the first place, so he's not losing much.

While some media members have tried to make Bill Belichick look like a bad guy for waiving Underwood the day before the Super Bowl, the reality is Belichick is intent on winning, and the Giants could have claimed Underwood off waivers if the move had been made earlier in the week.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Why are they retards? If they are retards I can't even describe what the KC organization is.

He/she/it is a Jaguar/Donkey cross breed.

Simplicity
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
www.Rotoworld.com

Aww.. ****ing crap... Well hey... Bilichick probably realized that the waivers last a couple days and he didn't want the Giants getting him, possibly having his game plan ruined... Bilichick a d-bag but a very smart d-bag.

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 12:06 PM
If Bilichick thought this was the right move, it was the most kind thing he could have done.

To be nice to Underwood, he would have to be mean to his other 52 roster players, everyone else in the Patriots organization and to their millions of fans.

I can't believe anyone would have a problem with that.

:thumb:

The Perfect 53 at all times. The Patriot Way !

Bump
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Heartless? Classless? :spock:

business

kcpasco
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
He should just tell the Giants the gameplan.

Setsuna
02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Tom Coughlin annoys the shit out of me
You have no idea the foundations and organizations he runs do you? You need to STFU and I mean now.

Dylan
02-05-2012, 04:50 PM
One thing about Super Bowls, and games between Pats/Giants generally -- usually defenses are pretty gassed by the 2nd half and fourth quarter.

Stop ... Stop it. Just stop it.

Speak for the Patriots since you don't know zilch about the Giants' defense ... forcryinoutloud! ... :evil:

Setsuna
02-05-2012, 04:51 PM
He/she/it is a Jaguar/Donkey cross breed.

Seriously dude? I talk about things I know about. I know about Underwood because he was a Jag. He was a really good special teams player. Very good. In terms of coverage and downing punts inside the 10 yd line. As a receiver he was absolute garbage. But as we've seen in the playoffs this year, ST has been HUGE. That's why it was a dumb move on their part. Kindly shut your whore mouth.

aturnis
02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
You have no idea the foundations and organizations he runs do you? You need to STFU and I mean now.

You shut your whore mouth, and I mean right now!

Dylan
02-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Why couldn’t Belicheck figure this out earlier? He didn't know his team needed another defender, offensive lineman, wide receiver, cornerback, safety, kick returner, etc, etc, a week or two ago. He had to wait until the day before?

Cold-blooded & classless!

lol

GloryDayz
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Wow, I wonder if the Chiefs will ever be forced into such a difficult decision?!

R8RFAN
02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Why couldn’t Belicheck figure this out earlier? He didn't know his team needed another defender, offensive lineman, wide receiver, cornerback, safety, kick returner, etc, etc, a week or two ago. He had to wait until the day before?

Cold-blooded & classless!

lol

Because if he had released him earlier the Giants could have picked him up... They still can but not until Monday

R8RFAN
02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Wow, I wonder if the Chiefs will ever be forced into such a difficult decision?!

No Silly because the Chiefs don't ever play in Super Bowls

Setsuna
02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
You shut your whore mouth, and I mean right now!

ROFL:clap:

Brock
02-05-2012, 05:32 PM
The NFL should do away with roster limits during the super bowl, that way all fringe players nobody gives a shit about could get a token ring! Heartless bastards!

Okie_Apparition
02-05-2012, 05:33 PM

He annoys me & if you don't like it
you can fuck yourself with a typhoid dipped rusty pipe

listopencil
02-05-2012, 06:51 PM
The did it with McDaniels didn't they?

LMAO No.

scho63
02-05-2012, 07:01 PM
If he wanted his shot at a ring, he should have been good enough to not be expendable.

He will still get the ring...

ClevelandBronco
02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
He will still get the ring...

Or not.

Hammock Parties
02-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Alex Silvestro, the DL signed after Belichick released Underwood last night, didn't play. Typical. — @greggdoyelcbs via Twitter

Lex Luthor
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
That was really a dick move by Bill Belichick. It sounds more like Tiquan Underwood did something to annoy Belichick, so he decided to just cut him the day before the Super Bowl. If it was about needing Alex Silvestro on the roster, I suspect he'd have played him more than zero snaps.

Simplicity
02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
No Silly because the Chiefs don't ever play in Super Bowls

Yes because Raiders are the best franchise in the league...

Yeah... Hmm how does this move look now, Billichick supporters? I believe Alex Silvistro didn't even play a snap... So much for contributing.

Brock
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Lot of butthurt over who the 53rd player on a roster was.

wazu
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Do you guys think Tiquan is telling people today that if he had played they would have won?

Simplicity
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Do you guys think Tiquan is telling people today that if he had played they would have won?

Uhhhh.... No.

mlyonsd
02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Do you guys think Tiquan is telling people today that if he had played they would have won?I think that's what Brady's wife was saying.

Mr. Laz
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Patriots bring back Tiquan Underwood

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2012, 4:14 PM EST

Getty Images
One of the surprising stories of Super Bowl weekend was that the Patriots released wide receiver Tiquan Underwood on Saturday afternoon, just a day before the big game. But both sides insisted there were no hard feelings involved, and Underwood has already been brought back into the fold.

Ian R. Rapoport of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have signed Underwood. That means he’ll be able to participate in offseason workouts and minicamps with the team, and he’ll be there at the start of training camp. As long as he doesn’t get cut again.

Underwood took his release well, saying he understands that it’s a business and that his job wasn’t guaranteed, even after he had gone through all the Super Bowl festivities, become a Media Day hit for shaving the Patriots’ logo into his hair and brought friends and family to town for the big game. Underwood still got paid the $44,000 that everyone on the losing team in the Super Bowl gets paid.

And so there seem to be no hard feelings from either side, and Underwood is back in the fold after a rough weekend.

Hydrae
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Some other team should have swooped in and signed him yesterday. ROFL

Amnorix
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes because Raiders are the best franchise in the league...

Yeah... Hmm how does this move look now, Billichick supporters? I believe Alex Silvistro didn't even play a snap... So much for contributing.

Don't know if Underwood did something stupid. I saw a quote from him saying the Patriots are a GREAT organization, so apparently what they did didn't make him too unhappy.

Let's be honest, I don't give a damn about the whole thing. Why would I? Why would you? Why would anyone other than the Underwoods?

suds79
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/01/30/0130-tiquan-underwood-super-bowl-fade-1.jpg

I wouldn't want him on my team either. Yikes.

Ugly Duck
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
now everyone will actually know his name and he'll be marginally famous for something.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401322_10150522991311006_7331091005_9148235_969403638_n.jpg

Frazod
02-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Patriots bring back Tiquan Underwood

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2012, 4:14 PM EST

Getty Images
One of the surprising stories of Super Bowl weekend was that the Patriots released wide receiver Tiquan Underwood on Saturday afternoon, just a day before the big game. But both sides insisted there were no hard feelings involved, and Underwood has already been brought back into the fold.

Ian R. Rapoport of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have signed Underwood. That means he’ll be able to participate in offseason workouts and minicamps with the team, and he’ll be there at the start of training camp. As long as he doesn’t get cut again.

Underwood took his release well, saying he understands that it’s a business and that his job wasn’t guaranteed, even after he had gone through all the Super Bowl festivities, become a Media Day hit for shaving the Patriots’ logo into his hair and brought friends and family to town for the big game. Underwood still got paid the $44,000 that everyone on the losing team in the Super Bowl gets paid.

And so there seem to be no hard feelings from either side, and Underwood is back in the fold after a rough weekend.

Hey, we just pissed all over your life-long dream. C'mon back now! LMAO

Rausch
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401322_10150522991311006_7331091005_9148235_969403638_n.jpg

LMAO

Rain Man
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/01/30/0130-tiquan-underwood-super-bowl-fade-1.jpg

I wouldn't want him on my team either. Yikes.

Why does he have a goldfish wearing a Patriots hat?

And why did he get the $44,000 share? He was cut, right? Or was this a deal where it's discretionary and the team paid him (which can't be right because that seems like a salary cap deal)?

As an aside, in one of the famous Lombardi Packer books - I think it was Instant Replay, by Jerry Kramer - the author talked about splitting up Super Bowl money. Apparently in those days, and maybe now, the money is a share to each player and no one else other than maybe the coaches. So when the Packers won, each player got, say, $10,000. They had a big meeting to figure out what to give to other people like scouts and equipment managers and stuff, and were relying on consensus. Lombardi was up in front haranguing and lambasting them for being selfish because they were initially voting on nominal amounts to other people, and Lombardi was really riding them for it. It was an interesting read.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
If he's active for 8 regular season games, he gets the post season money

Simplicity
02-07-2012, 08:09 PM
LOL, Patriots re-signed him 2 days after the SB... Billichick is a joke.