PDA

View Full Version : Sac's NFL First Round Mock

Saccopoo
02-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Now that we have the official draft order, here's my first round (no trades):

1. Colts: Andrew Luck, QB; Stanford
- Utterly amazing set of situational coincidences put the Colts in the perfect time and place to draft one of the well regarded QB prospects ever. Deja vu for the Colts.

2. Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR; Oklahoma State
- Blackmon is a stud. Bradford needs a legit downfield weapon. A damn near perfect situation for a team that needs a dynamic, playmaking wideout.

3. Vikings: Morris Claiborne, CB; LSU
- Minnesota's secondary is absymal and Claiborne is the best cornerback in this draft.

4. Browns: Trent Richardson, RB; Alabama
- Cleveland has a strong offensive line and McCoy has shown he can play in the league. Richardson is a AP level back that would be very effective in this offense.

5. Bucanneers: Matt Kalil, OT; USC
- The Trojan standout gives a young Bucs offensive it's cornerstone.

6. Redskins: Robert Griffin, QB; Baylor
- Shanahan likes a strong armed and mobile quarterback. He gets one here.

7. Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE; North Carolina
- Jacksonville needs a pass rushing end in the worst way. Coples is regarded as the best in this draft.

8. Panthers: Riley Rieff, OT; Iowa
- Rieff will be inserted at RT Day One providing athleticism in getting out into the second level for Newton and Carolina's ground game.

9. Dolphins: Jonathan Martin, OT; Stanford
- The Fins bookend Martin with Long and hope that helps their QB "situation."

10. Bills: Courtney Upshaw, OLB; Alabama
- Buffalo needs a dedicated pass rusher as Kelsay is in double digits in years in the league and Merriman isn't any good without roids.

11. Chiefs: Michael Brockers, DT; LSU
- Dorsey is in his final year of his contract and is, frankly, playing out of position and has underperformed. Tyson Jackson has simply underperformed. The position is significant to GM Scott Pioli as he's drafted for it in every draft. Brockers has all the physical tools to be a prototype for the 34 defensive end position.

12. Seahawks: Devon Still, DT; Penn State
- Seattle's defensive line is atrocious. Still fills a void.

13. Cardinals: Luke Kuechly, LB; Boston College
- Kuechly is one of the most, if not the most, instinctive defensive players of the last decade. He might not have Pat Willis athleticism, but everything else is there in spades. Teaming him with Washington gives Arizona a superb linebacking corps.

14. Cowboys: David DeCastro, OG; Stanford
- It's a little crazy drafting a guard this high, but DeCastro is special. Dallas needs upgrades on the offensive line, especially the interior.

15. Eagles: Kendall Wright, WR; Baylor
- There's not much behind Jackson and Maclin and Wright is a polished, speedy receiver that should take some pressure off Jackson in the return game.

16. Jets: Michael Floyd, WR; Notre Dame
- Questions surround Floyd about his off-the-field boozing, but on the field, he's fierce, strong with good hands. With New York having no 1000 yard receivers and TE Dustin Keller leading the team in yardage, a big, reliable outside threat must be found.

17. Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB; Alabama
- Cincy made it to the playoffs this past season, but showed it needed help at the CB position. Kirkpatrick is very talented and plays a physical game.

18. Chargers: Nick Perry, DE/OLB; USC
- San Diego is still searching for someone to bring pressure from the outside. Perry led the Pac-12 in sacks in 2011.

19. Bears: Peter Konz, C; Wisconsin
- Chicago would love to slide Garza back over to guard and get a dominant force in the middle, which they do here with Konz.

20. Titans: Jerel Worthy, DT; Michigan
- Karl Klug put in a surprising rookie year, but Shaun Smith is a journeyman. A better alternative needs to be found and Worthy has the size and smarts to anchor a 4-3 defensive line.

21. Bengals: Dontari Poe, DT; Memphis
- Bengals have a bunch of DE's that could benefit from a guy demanding double teams up the middle.

22. Browns: Ryan Tannehill, QB; Texas A&M
- Instead of Griffin with their first pick, the Browns went with a proven RB and roll the dice on a quarterback here.

23. Lions: Cordy Glenn, OL; Georgia
- Detroit has a lot of holes on their offensive line and Glenn, a mountain of a man, but very athletic, has played nearly every position on the Dawgs OL and did it effectively.

24. Steelers: Don'ta Hightower, LB; Alabama
- Played in a 3-4 in college and would be a very attractive option here for Pittsburgh.

25. Broncos: Mark Barron, S; Alabama
- Dawkins is 728 years old and coming off of neck surgery. Denver needs help in plugging the run as well as covering tight ends. Barron will do both.

26. Texans: Alshon Jeffery, WR; South Carolina
- Jeffery put up amazing numbers in the SEC in two years. A big body with a great feel for the game.

27. Patriots: Mohamed Sanu, WR; Rutgers
- If bringing back Branch and signing Ocho-cincho weren't enough to tell you that the Pats need a receiver, I don't know what is. Sanu is a big target with soft hands that runs great routes. A very solid, all-around WR.

28. Packers: Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB; Illinois
- Led the NCAA in sacks in 2011 and is a very good athlete. Green Bay needs someone to take the pressure off of Matthews.

29. Ravens: Vontaze Burfict, LB; Arizona State
- Burfict has the athletic ability and size to play either inside or outside and has done so in college. Has shown a knack for getting to the quarterback, and has decent coverage skills.

30. 49ers: Alphonso Denard, CB; Nebraska
- Solid, all-around CB that represents the BPA at this spot.

31. Patriots: Fletcher Cox, DE/DT; Mississippi State
- Capable of playing a DE in a 3-4 or a DT in a 4-3 (which the Pats both run), he would help them increase pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

32. Giants: Janoris Jenkins, CB; North Alabama
- Might be the best CB in the draft, but was kicked off Florida prior to his senior season after two arrests. Too talented to pass on here, and the Giants need some help in defending the pass.

Sofa King
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh god. RGIII down to 6???

Vikings passing on Kalil?

Us drafting another D lineman?

jd1020
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Oh god. RGIII down to 6???

RG3 isn't good enough for the Browns at 4. They'd rather draft Tannehill at 22.

KCUnited
02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
http://fox4kc.com/2011/12/08/man-threatens-to-jump-off-bond-bridge/

Munson
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
11. Chiefs: Michael Brockers, DT; LSU
- Dorsey is in his final year of his contract and is, frankly, playing out of position and has underperformed. Tyson Jackson has simply underperformed. The position is significant to GM Scott Pioli as he's drafted for it in every draft. Brockers has all the physical tools to be a prototype for the 34 defensive end position.

Terrible pick. The only thing worse than picking a G or RT with the #11 pick would be taking a 3-4 DE(from LSU no less).:banghead:

Pasta Little Brioni
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I figured no way you come up with a worse pick than a damn center...then I see you have us takin a 3-4 end from LSU. Damn dude I hope you are trolling.

Your takes on Dorsey and Jackson are just pure awful. They are our solid run stuffing ends and the team brings in Gilberry and Animal to rush the passer. Very solid D-line rotation and the team was getting awesome pressure the 2nd half of the year. Do you even watch the games?

the Talking Can
02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
wait, so we won the coin flip?...i thought it was later

Quesadilla Joe
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
The Donks have three very young safeties already. David Bruton and Quinton Carter look like keepers to me, and Rahim Moore could still come along :shrug:

whoman69
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I figured no way you come up with a worse pick than a damn center...then I see you have us takin a 3-4 end from LSU. Damn dude I hope you are trolling.

Your takes on Dorsey and Jackson are just pure awful. They are our solid run stuffing ends and the team brings in Gilberry and Animal to rush the passer. Very solid D-line rotation and the team was getting awesome pressure the 2nd half of the year. Do you even watch the games?

To his credit, Dorsey and Jackson cannot always cherry pick to be defending against the run. Dorsey was in the lineup on over 200 passing plays this year with no pressure.

I wouldn't call this a biggest need pick by any means. I think better players for the Chiefs D don't give enough value for a #11/12 pick.

The coin tosses are not made until the combine.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
To his credit, Dorsey and Jackson cannot always cherry pick to be defending against the run. Dorsey was in the lineup on over 200 passing plays this year with no pressure.

I wouldn't call this a biggest need pick by any means. I think better players for the Chiefs D don't give enough value for a #11/12 pick.

The coin tosses are not made until the combine.

KC's defense has top 5 potential next year, so I don't see the need in pissing away a pick like this. They were right outside the top 10 without Berry, a very slow start to the season, and Houston not coming on till late.

The Franchise
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
:facepalm:

the Talking Can
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
yeah, and aside from the issue of the coin flip, the reasoning for the pick sucks balls as usual...I think you must watch the Canadian football league by mistake

and if RG3 gets past Cleveland and we don't burn the draft down trying to get him, this franchise deserves to rot in hell for eternity...

BossChief
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Clueless, as usual.

whoman69
02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
At least he's making an attempt while others are just breaking him down without giving out their own opinions to face equal scrutiny.

RealSNR
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
wait, so we won the coin flip?...i thought it was laterThis. I had no idea the order was decided.

jd1020
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
At least he's making an attempt while others are just breaking him down without giving out their own opinions to face equal scrutiny.

His attempt in a scenario where we can't trade, at all, is giving the Cardinals the player we should have drafted, 2 picks later.

BigChiefFan
02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
If the draft went this way. I'd say Kuechly is the pick. Might as well get the field general for the D or trade down a little and get Poe.

RealSNR
02-07-2012, 07:51 PM
If the draft went this way. I'd say Kuechly is the pick. Might as well get the field general for the D or trade down a little and get Poe.Derrick Johnson is already the field general for the D.

Unless Kuechly is a pass rusher (he's not, really) or the next Ray Lewis (minus the whole murder thing, and he's not) we really don't need him

jd1020
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Derrick Johnson is already the field general for the D.

Unless Kuechly is a pass rusher (he's not, really) or the next Ray Lewis (minus the whole murder thing, and he's not) we really don't need him

He'd be the best pick for us if the draft fell like that and we couldn't trade back. Unless you want to draft DeCastro.

RealSNR
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
He'd be the best pick for us if the draft fell like that and we couldn't trade back. Unless you want to draft DeCastro.What would he do for us? Rotate in and out with Belcher?

Yes, I said rotate in and out with Belcher. Belcher's too talented as a run defender to have him only on the field as an injury replacement and special teamer.

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
What would he do for us? Rotate in and out with Belcher?

Yes, I said rotate in and out with Belcher. Belcher's too talented as a run defender to have him only on the field as an injury replacement and special teamer.

I'd bet Kuechly turns out to be a better defender than Belcher.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd bet Kuechly turns out to be a better defender than Belcher.

A 1st rnd draft pick better than a blue collar UDFA?

Really going out on a limb there

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
A 1st rnd draft pick better than a blue collar UDFA?

Really going out on a limb there

What's that have to do with anything?

You got a guy over here saying how good Belcher is.

He's serviceable. The end.

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't be horribly upset with Kuechly. He's not flashy, but if you put Soliai in front of him and DJ we would be pretty damn good up the middle.

Coogs
02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

It's during the combine in a couple of weeks

jspchief
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

He's serviceable. The end.

You're the one making bold predictions.

The simple answer is that Belcher is a FA and you don't re-sign him and then draft his likely replacement in the 1st. It's an either/or situation. Having them both on the roster makes zero sense.

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
You're the one making bold predictions.

The simple answer is that Belcher is a FA and you don't re-sign him and then draft his likely replacement in the 1st. It's an either/or situation. Having them both on the roster makes zero sense.

Not sure how depth makes no sense, but ok.

Lets draft DeCastro.

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I know people say we are drafting in a shitty spot, but there is talent available where we are gonna be picking.

You can never have too many talented guys on the team.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Not sure how depth makes no sense, but ok.

Lets draft DeCastro.

So you invest money into 2 four year contracts for the exact same position? Which guy is going to accept "depth" pay scale, the current starting NFL LB, or the 1st round pick?

They are both going to be paid like starters. At the exact same position. On the same team?

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
So you invest money into 2 four year contracts for the exact same position? Which guy is going to accept "depth" pay scale, the current starting NFL LB, or the 1st round pick?

They are both going to be paid like starters. At the exact same position. On the same team?

Since when does Belcher get a 4 year contract? He's a RFA 3 year vet...

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
What is Keuchly's ceiling, player wise?

jspchief
02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Since when does Belcher get a 4 year contract? He's a RFA 3 year vet...

What do you think he's going to do? Be happy with a 1 year deal? He's not going to get a record contract, but the guy isn't hoping for a job from the garbage heap either. He's going to get a real contract from someone.

Saccopoo
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
What is Keuchly's ceiling, player wise?

If I was calling it, most likely London Fletcher - which isn't chopped liver by any stretch.

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Damn then.

I'd take a young Fletcher next to DJ for the next 5 or 6 years.

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
What do you think he's going to do? Be happy with a 1 year deal? He's not going to get a record contract, but the guy isn't hoping for a job from the garbage heap either. He's going to get a real contract from someone.

Sure... He'll get a real contract if someone wants to part with a draft pick for just a serviceable player.

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Sac, I asked earlier in a thread but can't remember if I got an answer.

What do you think of Bobbie Massie in the 2nd?

Saccopoo
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM

Agreed.

I still can't figure out why Belcher doesn't get enough respect around here. This is a small school guy (Maine) who has grown in each of his seasons in the NFL and has shown solid progress. He has a very instinctive feel for the game and really brings the lumber defending the run.

People bring up this "he doesn't defend the pass as well as the run" stuff, but that's not his primary role. That's what DJ is for, but it's not like he can't get better at that anyway as he's done so for the past

I don't think he's even close to reaching his potential and it would be a waste to see him walk and get there on someone else's team. If the Chiefs don't give him a real contract, I can guarantee you that someone else will.

RealSNR
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM

He's serviceable. The end.I find it interesting that your sarcastic quip to my hesitancy about Kuechly involves taking DeCastro. I'm assuming you're saying, "Well, if we don't take Kuechly in this draft, our only other reasonable option is the fucking guard! And you don't want that, do you?"

The interesting part is that in terms of positional importance, Kuechly IS the fucking guard. On defense, that is. Yeah, the ILB spot that Belcher plays requires more agility than Belcher has in terms of defending short throws, but really not all that much. It's not like Belcher is the reason why our defense sucks at defending the TE. He's not. He's somewhat one-dimensional, that's all. He excellent in stuffing the run. He needs improvement and flexibility. He's improving, though, and he's young. And you don't need a solid corps of athletic rapists to play that positions like you would at other positions on defense. Like say... pass rusher.

Guard's the same way. You can find solutions to that position in all kinds of players, including undrafted guys. I'm not advocating the DeCastro pick, but at least he would fill a position of far more need (Lilja is old and fucking sucks... Belcher is young and does not suck) while also being one of the most dominant guys to come out of college for that position in years. If you're going to burn a 1st on interior linemen, make it a fucking good one.

Is Kuechly that good? From what I've seen, no. So fuck him.

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I find it interesting that your sarcastic quip to my hesitancy about Kuechly involves taking DeCastro. I'm assuming you're saying, "Well, if we don't take Kuechly in this draft, our only other reasonable option is the ****ing guard! And you don't want that, do you?"

Who are you going to pick then? Given who's is already off the board in this mock. Do tell.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Sure... He'll get a real contract if someone wants to part with a draft pick for just a serviceable player.Unless it's the top end of unrestricted scale that requires a first, then the team has to match the pick of the round he was drafted in. Belcher was undrafted.

O.city
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
While it really sucks to do at 11, this is a spot where we could really solidify the OL, if we wanted to.

RealSNR
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Who are you going to pick then? Given who's is already off the board in this mock. Do tell.Upshaw would have been nice, but he's already gone the pick before.

I would take Kirkpatrick if we don't re-sign Brandon Carr, which Direckshun deems inevitable. If we do, I'd like to see a trade down. If we're forced to stay, then yes, I would take DeCastro or Konz before I take Kuechly. And I don't care how much experience the dude has- we need to think about Tannehill. If our staff thinks that he's got even a 40% chance at turning into a fantastic NFL QB, we need to draft him and keep him on the bench for awhile. Given the talent we've acquired and the weak division we play in, I don't see us drafting this high for awhile. Meaning we think it's tough NOW to trade up and grab a fantastic QB in the first round? How about when we're picking in the late teens/early 20s for the next couple of seasons?

jd1020
02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Unless it's the top end of unrestricted scale that requires a first, then the team has to match the pick of the round he was drafted in. Belcher was undrafted.

If a club tenders an offer of $712,000 or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal" and rights to a draft pick from the same round (or better) from the signing club. Essentially, this means that the new club must forfeit the draft pick to the old club if they wish to sign the player under these terms.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Who are you going to pick then? Given who's is already off the board in this mock. Do tell.If we lose Belcher, I'm fine with Kuechly.

Assuming we keep all our FAs (Carr, Bowe, Belcher), then we have to start considering O-line or D-line. Maybe that means trading down a bit (someone want to move up for Kuechly?).

As many needs as this team has, I don't endorse the luxury of picking depth in the 1st round. O-line isn't sexy or exciting, but barring a lot of FA moves, it's a serious team need.

Saccopoo
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Sac, I asked earlier in a thread but can't remember if I got an answer.

What do you think of Bobbie Massie in the 2nd?

I think that's a round too high for him, but he has potential as a RT at the next level. He's not as polished as Reynolds or Potter (who I like, but is a LT only), but has some tools.

I think that Massie (Ole Miss), Reynolds (BYU) or Schwartz (Cal) would be a solid RT pick for the Chiefs in the 2-3 area. I like Alex Hurst (LSU) or Don Barclay (West Virginia) in the 5-6 area.

A NFL right tackle has to have some finesse about him as defenses will switch rushers during games. They have to have a skill set that allows them to defend the edge against speed rushers. It's not like a decade ago when the RT was nothing but a road grader. They almost have to have left tackle skills in this day and age of the NFL, and it's why you are seeing teams drafting for that position (RT) early on in the draft. Guys like Solder, Oher, Bulaga, etc.

(By the way, If you want to, go watch the Ole Miss/BYU game from this past season. You'll get to see both Reynolds and Massie in a real game situation - as well as the other Ole Miss tackle, Bradley Sowell.)

O.city
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Where can we get Reynolds or Potter? Round wise?

jd1020
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Where can we get Reynolds or Potter? Round wise?

In before 2nd round.

jspchief
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
If a club tenders an offer of $712,000 or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal" and rights to a draft pick from the same round (or better) from the signing club. Essentially, this means that the new club must forfeit the draft pick to the old club if they wish to sign the player under these terms.Except those numbers you listed are old.

We don't know what the current ladder is, but Belcher isn't going to get an offer that costs a team a 1st or 2nd round pick. Whats the cut-off for a starting LB, even if he's just a blue collar guy? Would you give a 3rd? a 4th?

Either way, the chiefs would be looking at signing Belcher and Keuchly for the same spot, which makes no sense unless you think Belcher is going to be extremely cheap.

Saccopoo
02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
In before 2nd round.

LMAO

It depends.

They could go in the second, or both could be there in the fourth to fifth.

I really like Reynolds as a NFL level right tackle and think he'd be cheap in, say, the third. Potter, I think is a left tackle only and will need some time to get used to the size/strength of NFL ends and linebackers. Reynolds could be plugged in immediately and upgrade the position for this team. Most likely he's not going to be a Hall of Fame, multiple Pro Bowl guy, but I think he's got the skill set and athleticism to be a very solid, long term player. If he's there in the third, I would make that pick in a heartbeat.

Urc Burry
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not so sure the cardinals don't go O-Line, but if they were interested in Kuechly we would make a nice trade partner for the eagles, granted it is just 3-4 spots. They need help at every LB spot and Kuechly would be a great fit there

Sorter
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Lol at taking another LSU d-lineman.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Agreed.

I still can't figure out why Belcher doesn't get enough respect around here. This is a small school guy (Maine) who has grown in each of his seasons in the NFL and has shown solid progress. He has a very instinctive feel for the game and really brings the lumber defending the run.

People bring up this "he doesn't defend the pass as well as the run" stuff, but that's not his primary role. That's what DJ is for, but it's not like he can't get better at that anyway as he's done so for the past

I don't think he's even close to reaching his potential and it would be a waste to see him walk and get there on someone else's team. If the Chiefs don't give him a real contract, I can guarantee you that someone else will.

Now, this is spot on :clap:

htismaqe
02-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Agreed.

I like Belcher but if we can upgrade, we can upgrade.

RUSH
02-08-2012, 07:54 AM
That's a terrible mock. Vikings passing on Kalil? Browns passing on RG3 for a RB? Chiefs taking a 5 tech? No Mike Adams in the 1st?

If the draft actually fell that way I would hope Adams would be the pick but I doubt he's even going to be available. I think Martin will be the tackle that falls to us.

And I might be alone here but I don't see Blackmon going top 5 once he runs his 40. Probably gonna be in the 4.6-4.7 range. Not that I agree with it but that's how NFL teams operate. The only Wr in recent memory that I can think of that was slow and picked that high was Fitzgerald. And Blackmon is nowhere near the prospect that Larry was.

Dave Lane
02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
If the draft happens like this and Pioli doesn't trade up to 5 to get RG3 I will go batshit crazy on that fuck till the day he dies.

Dave Lane
02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Only 15 OL and DL picks in the first round of a saccapoo mock. I'm completely worried about the Mayan thing now.

Direckshun
02-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Brockers would be a good-enough pick for the Chiefs, the value is certainly there and like Sac, I believe that Dorsey is on his last legs.

I would hope we'd find that saddled with trading Dorsey away for a 2nd or a 3rd.

spanky 52
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm beginning to think Brockers could be a real possibility. He's made a big jump up most boards lately.

BigChiefFan
02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Brockers is an intriguing prospect. The dude has played lights out at times. I also like that he's a RS sophmore, who has room to improve.

That said, unless we trade Dorsey, I don't think taking him is our best answer.

whoman69
02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Agreed.

Same argument against Dorsey. You can't ignore the fact that he's poor against the pass. When he's in there, and I would guess its similar to the 200 snaps number for Dorsey, then you have a hole in the defense that can take advantage of. Teams are going to throw the ball often when we are in base defense on 1st or 2nd downs. DJ can't cover his side of the field too.

milkman
02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Answer me this.

Has sac ever gotten a damn thing right?

BossChief
02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Every year people ask Sac what round he thinks guys will go in. They entertain his drafts and enjoy his pictures and commentary.

Then the draft hits and the guys he was championing as second and third rounders go in the 6th/7th/UDFA and the guys he fell in love with suck ass.

He is like the mecca of the OL, but not even close to as good. If thats even possible.

Okung > Berry

never forget.

I will agree with one thing though.

RTs are becoming more and more like left tackles in the NFL.

The more the passing game rules dictate that teams pass more and more, right tackles will become more valuable...but they still arent worth anything close to #11/12 overall.

Also...

LOL @ posting Oher was taken to be a right tackle.

spanky 52
02-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Brockers is an intriguing prospect. The dude has played lights out at times. I also like that he's a RS sophmore, who has room to improve.

That said, unless we trade Dorsey, I don't think taking him is our best answer.

Some food for thought on this. Read yesterday on either AP or AA that Jackson is due 14.5 million dollars in 2013. That's a lot of money for a very average DE.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Some food for thought on this. Read yesterday on either AP or AA that Jackson is due 14.5 million dollars in 2013. That's a lot of money for a very average DE.That's reason enough.

That said, I'd really like to see us finally get the NT and see once and for all if it improves our DEs.

I think picking up Luis Castillo in FA to put some heat on those guys would be a good idea.

Castillo can get after the QB, something our DEs are terrible at.

ArrowheadMagic
02-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I find it interesting that your sarcastic quip to my hesitancy about Kuechly involves taking DeCastro. I'm assuming you're saying, "Well, if we don't take Kuechly in this draft, our only other reasonable option is the ****ing guard! And you don't want that, do you?"

The interesting part is that in terms of positional importance, Kuechly IS the ****ing guard. On defense, that is. Yeah, the ILB spot that Belcher plays requires more agility than Belcher has in terms of defending short throws, but really not all that much. It's not like Belcher is the reason why our defense sucks at defending the TE. He's not. He's somewhat one-dimensional, that's all. He excellent in stuffing the run. He needs improvement and flexibility. He's improving, though, and he's young. And you don't need a solid corps of athletic rapists to play that positions like you would at other positions on defense. Like say... pass rusher.

Guard's the same way. You can find solutions to that position in all kinds of players, including undrafted guys. I'm not advocating the DeCastro pick, but at least he would fill a position of far more need (Lilja is old and ****ing sucks... Belcher is young and does not suck) while also being one of the most dominant guys to come out of college for that position in years. If you're going to burn a 1st on interior linemen, make it a ****ing good one.

Is Kuechly that good? From what I've seen, no. So **** him.

Whoa, this isnt just any fucking guard. Its a once in a lifetime guard. Its a guy who completely dominates a top NT prospect. but yes at 11 its high. But we arent getting a better QB at that point. Hudson at center is a natural fit.

spanky 52
02-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I agree with you ArrowheadMagic about DeCastro but I just don't see it happeneing. 4/5's of our line would be set for quite a while. At the 11th or 12th pick, depending on the coin toss, he'd cost a fraction of what Nicks or Grubbs would cost in FA. Use that money on NTSoliai, resign Carr and Bowe, pick up a rb and rot in the 2nd, 3rd rounds and use the rest of the draft for depth at s, te, etc.

BigMeatballDave
02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
LMAO enough DL from LSU

O.city
02-10-2012, 01:41 PM
If Decastro really is that good, pick him.

Although if Richardson is there I'd think about taking him. When there is a guy on the board that you can pick and he could be the best offensive player on your team, it's tough to not pick him.

However, the oline needs a G and a RT.

BossChief
02-10-2012, 04:49 PM
ROFL

Decastro isnt some once in a lifetime guard prospect.

He is really good, but he isnt a guy that will walk into the league as its best guard.

He isnt any better of a prospect as Iupati was and that was just 2 drafts ago.

If we trade down, Id love to have him after 20...before that there would bebetter options for our team that would make a bigger impact.

O.city
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
I haven't watched him much at all so I was just speculating to what some were saying.

I'm on the Richardson bandwagon.

KCrockaholic
02-10-2012, 06:42 PM
ROFL

Decastro isnt some once in a lifetime guard prospect.

He is really good, but he isnt a guy that will walk into the league as its best guard.

He isnt any better of a prospect as Iupati was and that was just 2 drafts ago.

If we trade down, Id love to have him after 20...before that there would bebetter options for our team that would make a bigger impact.

He is a better prospect than Iupati. Not the best prospect to have come around, but DeCastro is probably the best guard to come along since Leonard Davis.

Tribal Warfare
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
He is a better prospect than Iupati. Not the best prospect to have come around, but DeCastro is probably the best guard to come along since Leonard Davis.

He was being scouted as a Franchise LT

KCrockaholic
02-10-2012, 08:26 PM
He was being scouted as a Franchise LT

In that case we can look even further back and safely say he's the best Guard prospect in the last 10 years.

O.city
02-10-2012, 10:11 PM
So whats the best RT we can get in rounds after round 1?

Bewbies
02-11-2012, 12:28 AM
I can't get over this G at 11 nonsense. LMAO

Saccopoo
02-11-2012, 01:23 AM
If Decastro really is that good, pick him.

Although if Richardson is there I'd think about taking him. When there is a guy on the board that you can pick and he could be the best offensive player on your team, it's tough to not pick him.

However, the oline needs a G and a RT.

DeCastro is good, but he isn't any better than Rod Hudson from last year. Hudson was on a Will Shields level in terms of college production. Hudson gave up one and a half sacks in four years. I think he had only four penalties in that same time frame.

The reason the he was a second rounder was the same reason that Shields was a third rounder - shorter with short arms. Guys in the NFL hate that, regardless of what the guy put out on the field. Dropped both of them.

However, like Shields, Hudson is insanely strong and can control the point of attack like crazy.

What has so many people slobbering about DeCastro is that he's 6'5", 315 lbs. He's huge and he looks the part. He's also very good.

But he's a guard. That's a position we have taken two times in the past two drafts in the second round. Taking a guard in the second round is borderline nuts, but we did so with Asamoah and then Hudson.

Now, if you want to talk about a position that we need, center would be one, and Peter Konz is, for his college career, an elitel level center. He's about as good as it gets for the position and is right there along with Alex Mack and Maurkice Pouncey in terms of talent and potential.

If you wanted to draft an interior lineman, Konz makes a hell of a lot more sense than DeCastro, particularly because the guy is a center versus a guard converted to center. I'd much rather have Hudson/Konz/Asamoah than DeCastro/Hudson/Asamoah for the simple reason that Hudson is and has been a elite level guard, not a center.

BossChief
02-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Asamoah was a third rounder, wasnt he?

jd1020
02-11-2012, 04:32 AM
If you wanted to draft an interior lineman, Konz makes a hell of a lot more sense than DeCastro, particularly because the guy is a center versus a guard converted to center. I'd much rather have Hudson/Konz/Asamoah than DeCastro/Hudson/Asamoah for the simple reason that Hudson is and has been a elite level guard, not a center.

Konz at 11... :Lin:

Hudson was drafted as a C and Pioli has said he's going to play C when Wiegmann decides its time to give it up.

Asamoah was a 3rd round pick.

Positions of need would be

1) QB
2) RT
3) NT

With depth needed at RB, TE, S, LB.

No ****ing way I would look at DeCastro at 11 unless, literally, every top prospect at those positions, with the exception of TE and S, listed above were taken. But, I'd take DeCastro long before ****ing Konz at 11.

Saccopoo
02-12-2012, 12:17 AM
But, I'd take DeCastro long before ****ing Konz at 11.

Why?

jd1020
02-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Why?

1) DeCastro is better at his position than Konz
2) DeCastro doesn't have a history flooded with injuries
3) We've already got our C of the future on the roster

I know you are in love with Konz... but its a stupid ****ing pick, especially at 11.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I can't get over this G at 11 nonsense. LMAO

Guards, Centers, Middle Linebackers, and 34 Ends oh my....I want to puke.

RealSNR
02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Guards, Centers, Middle Linebackers, and 34 Ends oh my....I want to puke.The way Sac's mock plays out, those are the only positions that have value for us in this draft.

Outside of Eric Berry, it's like God is doing this to us on purpose every fucking time we get a high draft pick.

Saccopoo
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
1) DeCastro is better at his position than Konz
2) DeCastro doesn't have a history flooded with injuries
3) We've already got our C of the future on the roster

I know you are in love with Konz... but its a stupid ****ing pick, especially at 11.

No more stupid than taking a guard over a true center, especially after we've taken All-American guards in both of the last two drafts (Hudson & Asamoah).

And I'm not "in love" with Konz. He's an elite level center prospect. And he's as good at his position as DeCastro. In fact, they are almost the exact same player size and skill set wise - other than the fact that Konz is a three year starter at the center position and DeCastro is a three year starter at guard.

Both Wisconsin and Stanford ran a ton behind both players. Both are effective at getting on top of defensive tackles and simply smothering them at the point of attack. They look and play like the same guy out there on the field. The difference being the experience at the position. Calling the line and the center to quarterback exchange is crucial. Konz has that experience.

We need a center, not a guard, especially after drafting Hudson and Asamoah.

I just don't see the point of drafting another guard and then trying to convert one of the other guards we recently drafted to the center position when we could draft an elite level center and keep our two young, talented guards at the guard position.

jd1020
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
You continue to ignore what scouts projected Hudson as in the NFL, and what the Chiefs drafted him to play, and what Pioli said he'll play.

We didn't draft a guard when we drafted Hudson. We drafted a center.

milkman
02-12-2012, 01:24 PM
You continue to ignore what scouts projected Hudson as in the NFL, and what the Chiefs drafted him to play, and what Pioli said he'll play.

The one thing that sac has right is the fact that Hudson never played center in college, so why is it that he's projected at center in the NFL.

He may prove to be a top notch center, who knows?

But why put your eggs in one basket, when that basket has never been used?

I'm not, however, ever going to use a #11 pick on either a center or guard.

jd1020
02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
The one thing that sac has right is the fact that Hudson never played center in college, so why is it that he's projected at center in the NFL.

He may prove to be a top notch center, who knows?

But why put your eggs in one basket, when that basket has never been used?

I'm not, however, ever going to use a #11 pick on either a center or guard.

Correction... He never started at C in college. He played G, C, and LT in college.

jd1020
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Even his coach at FSU said he'd be a center in the NFL.

"He's one of the best I've ever coached," FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said.

"I'm pretty sure that's what he will be," Fisher said when asked about Hudson playing center. "And I think he'll be a really good one."

O.city
02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Would you guys be in agreement that if we are taking OL at 11 or 12 it should be a RT and not a G or C?

jd1020
02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Would you guys be in agreement that if we are taking OL at 11 or 12 it should be a RT and not a G or C?

If this draft scenario played out and we were dead set on taking OL, no. Mike Adams would have to be the pick and I'd take DeCastro over him.

But, personally, I would draft Kuechly in this draft scenario.

O.city
02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure that Adams won't be around in the second round. I could be wrong tho.

I wouldn't mind Kuechly.

Saccopoo
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM

And you continue to ignore the fact that Hudson, outside of a handful of plays/series in college, has not played the center position. (All 47 college starts were at the guard position.) He was, however, a four time All-conference and first team All-American at guard. He was filling in for Lilja at guard after his concussion.

Just because a scout says he should be something, doesn't mean they are automatically going to be that position. Scouts "projected" Hudson to center because of his smaller frame and shorter arms. (As I said, the same thing that dropped Will Shields to the third round despite being the Outland Trophy winner and one of the most dominant offensive lineman during his time in college.) Scouts said that because of nothing other than his measurements. Period. "He's 6'2" and 285 lbs with shorter arms. He's really good, but he'll have to play center in a zone scheme if he's going to play in the NFL." However, sometimes, measurables don't mean jack squat. They guy possesses exceptional skills and incredible strength. He can play the guard position in the NFL.

Why take the time, effort and risk of taking a guy who is obviously dominant at one position and try to make him something else? Especially when there is an opportunity to get a guy who is equally dominant and has experience at the position that you specifically have a need for.

Sorry, but I don't see the logic behind it, regardless of what "scouts" said.

jd1020
02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the logic behind it, regardless of what "scouts" said.

I think everyone knows this.

spanky 52
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Nothing against Weigman but it would have been nice to get Hudson some play at center this past season.

whoman69
02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Nothing against Weigman but it would have been nice to get Hudson some play at center this past season.

Weigman was done. He should have come back one year and retired a Chief.