PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone experienced installing stone veneer siding?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
My house is due for a painting this spring and I have been toying with the idea of putting up some ledge-stone veneer near the front door. Not a lot...probably just between 40-50 sqft. I haven't researched much into the process but I know there is real stone...and the faux stone, etc. I am fine with the faux stone, I think.

I feel I am handy in terms of finishing rooms INDOORS. I've laid tile, framed basements, and done the basic simple carpentry stuff...but really have 0 experience doing any sort of exterior modifications myself...

Anyone ever done this? Know of anyone? Advice?

Just looking for some input before I decide whether or not I want to proceed with this project myself...

Thanks.

Saul Good
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
If you put up faux stone, and you do a REALLY good job of installing it, and you buy REALLY high-end faux stone, it will look like your house is made of fake rocks.

Bugeater
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
You need to talk to LiveSteam, he does this shit for a living.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-08-2012, 09:34 PM
If you put up faux stone, and you do a REALLY good job of installing it, and you buy REALLY high-end faux stone, it will look like your house is made of fake rocks.

Yeah. I don't want that.

For what it's worth...this was the faux I was looking at... http://www.builddirect.com/Manufactured-Stone-Veneer.aspx

The "Shadow Ledge" style...

LiveSteam
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Its easy to put up & no one will know if its real or fake But a skilled mason like myself

Mr_Tomahawk
02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Also...

I did a lot of hardscaping throughout school...so I am familiar with stone and mortar...

But I am pretty sure if I use the same technique for this, I will find a bunch of stone laying on the ground in front of my door the next morning. :)

LiveSteam
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Dont go with any dry stack stone. the shit sucks to install & snow rain ect will get inside the joints from driving wind ,then freeze & bust the shit loose. get you self a pazlow air operated staple-gun to hang the wire. then put a scratch coat of masonry mud over the wire. let it set 24 hours. make sure you use a piece of scrap wire to put groves in your scratch coat before you let it set for 24 hours. Next day you are ready to go. When aplying mud to the back of the stone. make sure you paint on a lil coat of mud across the hole stone first then load the rock with the mud that will attach it to the house

LiveSteam
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Nothing will out last real stone. The sun over time will fade the cheaper culture stone

mikeyis4dcats.
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Dont go with any dry stack stone. the shit sucks to install & snow rain ect will get inside the joints from driving wind ,then freeze & bust the shit loose. get you self a pazlow air operated staple-gun to hang the wire. then put a scratch coat of masonry mud over the wire. let it set 24 hours. make sure you use a piece of scrap wire to put groves in your scratch coat before you let it set for 24 hours. Next day you are ready to go. When aplying mud to the back of the stone. make sure you paint on a lil coat of mud across the hole stone first then load the rock with the mud that will attach it to the house

or even a Paslode one...

http://www.contractorstools.com/graphics_m-q/paslode3150N18item.gif

seriously though, for 40 or 50sf just get a box of fence staples would be easier. If you can find someone selling diamond lath, it is better than galvanized chicken wire. Also, don't forget to put up a layer of 15# (better yet 30") felt paper first.

LiveSteam
02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
or even a Paslode one...

http://www.contractorstools.com/graphics_m-q/paslode3150N18item.gif

LOL thanks

Mr_Tomahawk
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Makes sense.

That said, this would be on the north side of the house under a covered stoop. So it receives absolute no direct sunlight. Only ambient exposure.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks all for the advice.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
http://www.themoldstore.info/Installing_Stone.html

LiveSteam
02-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Most important thing is to pick out stone that will have head & bed joints. & be water tight & 100 times stronger than dry stack

ferrarispider95
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Its easy to put up & no one will know if its real or fake But a skilled mason like myself

What does a mason usually charge per sq ft to install?

ferrarispider95
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Any experience with this company, they are based out of Olathe, KS.

http://www.canyon-stone.com/#/PRODUCTS-03-03/

Phobia
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I think one of the number one criteria for putting stone on a house is flow. Is the stone going to look like part of the house and be complimentary. Or will it stick out like an air spoiler on a camry?

Holladay
02-09-2012, 02:50 AM
bout only thing I can say, seal it best you can. Done that on side of the porch...didnt seal it = crap years later.

epitome1170
02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I am also looking for a stone finish.

Any one know of any one good for Olathe?

Phobia
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
I am also looking for a stone finish.

Any one know of any one good for Olathe?

We do it. How much you needing done?

KCUnited
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Sorry for further derailing your thread, Tomahawk.

I've got a stone front porch. The house is 90 years old and has settled causing one of the walls on the side of the steps to lean a bit. It's also been caked with mortar over the years and needs a facelift.

What kind of endeavor am I looking at and any recommendations on a company in the KC area for this type of job?

TIA

LiveSteam
02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
What does a mason usually charge per sq ft to install?

8 to 10 dollars in Omaha