PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Number of FA Corners Just Got Bigger

T-post Tom
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
He's no Brandon Carr, but maybe this will dilute the market a tiny bit:

Raiders release Stanford Routt

Well, here’s the first big surprising move of the offseason.

Oakland released cornerback Stanford Routt on Thursday, less than a year after the team gave him a “five-year, $54.5 million” contract. (It was originally a three-year, $31.5 million deal, then the team restructured the deal.)

It’s a surprising move because it was reported last year that Routt’s $5 million 2012 base salary was guaranteed. It’s possible it was only guaranteed if Routt was on the roster past a certain date. (Once again, even “guaranteed” money isn’t always guaranteed.)

Routt started last season well and enjoyed a fine 2010 season, but he struggled badly down the stretch. He got picked on often despite having the tag as Oakland’s top cornerback.

As a 28-year-old with a lot of starting experience, Routt figures to attract plenty of free agent interest. For Routt, free agency starts Friday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/raiders-release-stanford-routt/

UPDATE

Raiders avoided $5 million guaranteed by cutting Routt now

So why did the Raiders dump cornerback Stanford Routt today?

Per a source with knowledge of his contract, Routt’s $5 million base salary for 2012 would have become fully guaranteed if he had been on the roster five days after the start of the 2012 waiver period.

Though Routt loses the $5 million, he gets more than a fair crack at free agency, hitting the market more than a month before the official launch of the spending spree.

Thus, either way, tying guaranteed payments to presence on the roster early in the waiver period provides maximum protection. Either the team keeps the player and incurs the full guarantee (as the Jets did with receiver Santonio Holmes) or the team cuts the cord and the player walks away free and clear.

In Routt’s case, he carries with him $10 million paid out in 2011, the first — and ultimately only — year of his contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/raiders-avoided-5-million-guaranteed-by-cutting-routt-now/

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Let Carr walk, sign him up!! lol

tredadda
02-09-2012, 09:49 PM
If Carr hits the market, he will still get top dollar. Routt would be like a consolation prize at best.

JoeyChuckles
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
So did my girlfriend's ass. What a coincidence.

Bump
02-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Carr is gonna get paid. I hope he stays here, but it's not "the Patriot Way" to resign a CB for top dollar. If I had to choose, I think I'd go with Bowe, he is a true #1 WR and has done a lot with shit QB's. Carr is gonna get an $80 mil contract, not sure if I'm comfortable giving him that.

tredadda
02-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Carr is gonna get paid. I hope he stays here, but it's not "the Patriot Way" to resign a CB for top dollar. If I had to choose, I think I'd go with Bowe, he is a true #1 WR and has done a lot with shit QB's. Carr is gonna get an $80 mil contract, not sure if I'm comfortable giving him that.

The Patriot Way means letting everyone not named Tom Brady walk when they are due big contracts. Hali, Charles, DJ, and Flowers all got paid. Flowers actually got top dollar, so we can see that when it comes to resigning a CB for top dollar, Pioli will do it.

Sorter
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
If Carr walks, you almost have to bring Routt in on an incentive based contract due to the last part of this year. I wouldn't be too opposed to it, as Routt will be probably be cheaper and excels at being a #2 corner.

Fritz88
02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
The reason the Pats lost the SB is because they didn't have good corners. I think Pioli noticed that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
The reason the Pats lost the SB is because they didn't have good corners. I think Pioli noticed that.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, but he most assuredly had a hand in letting Asaunte Samuel walk.

KC_Lee
02-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I am willing to bet the Finnegan leaves the Titans (either landing with the Lions or Rams) and Routt would be the type of player the Titans would sign.

BigMeatballDave
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would he notice that?

He hasn't noticed Cassel sucks.

rtmike
02-10-2012, 02:08 AM
I didn't pay much attention cause I only seen him playing special teams. Was that rookie CB Brown any good?

It'll be a shame if Carr leaves. I don't think he's missed any time with injury since day 1?
It's gotta be tough on Flowers not knowing. His best friend/team mate who he's started with from day 1 as rookies may depart, gotta suck.

rtmike
02-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Why would he notice that?

He hasn't noticed Cassel sucks.

true...selective eyesight

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Sign Carr, sign Routt

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM
The Patriot Way means letting everyone not named Tom Brady walk when they are due big contracts. Hali, Charles, DJ, and Flowers all got paid. Flowers actually got top dollar, so we can see that when it comes to resigning a CB for top dollar, Pioli will do it.

Seriously, alot of you guys throw around The Patriot Way as if you really understand it when you don't. You're right that the Patriots will definitely let players walk if they think they're too much money (Asante Samuel, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Richard Seymour), but there are plenty of examples of players who DID get top dollar because the Patriots determined that they WERE worth the money

Richard Seymour (2005 or whenever it was -- the first contract he got)
Randy Moss
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

The entire loss was because of the cornerbacks? That's what you're saying? That's absurd. The Patriots lost because they got outplayed in the fourth quarter by the Giants across the board. If the Patriots, with the lead, could've done somethign on offense, then they could've won. If they could've gotten a key stop on defense, they could've won.

No idea how this all falls on the corners. Makes no sense.

I do agree that the Patriots are seriously short of "difference-makers" on defense, which certainly COULD be a corner.

TRR
02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Seriously, alot of you guys throw around The Patriot Way as if you really understand it when you don't. You're right that the Patriots will definitely let players walk if they think they're too much money (Asante Samuel, Ty Law, Deion Branch, Richard Seymour), but there are plenty of examples of players who DID get top dollar because the Patriots determined that they WERE worth the money

Richard Seymour (2005 or whenever it was -- the first contract he got)
Randy Moss
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins

And you understand it because why? Your a fan of the team? You have no better idea than we do on how the Patriots conduct business inside their walls.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
02-10-2012, 08:10 AM
"Though Routt loses the $5 million, he gets more than a fair crack at free agency, hitting the market more than a month before the official launch of the spending spree."

- Nice move by the Raiders.

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
And you understand it because why? Your a fan of the team? You have no better idea than we do on how the Patriots conduct business inside their walls.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't pretend to have inside knowledge, but I certainly understand the general structure and the concept. Why? Because I've paid very close attention to it for 10+ years, including reading multiple books covering the Patriots as well as much as I can find in newspapers and periodicals.

But look at the statement I'm refuting. It's clearly and provably wrong, so I did prove it wrong.

The Patriot Way is misunderstood by most on here because they either hate the Patriots, Pioli, or being "Patriots lite" or because they're not willing to take the time to figure out how it works, to whatever degree we simple fans can.

Also note that the Patriots Way is not necessarily the Chiefs Way or the Falcons Way. BB would never have traded up for Julio Jones the way Dimitroff did in Atlanta, for example. Each GM is going to do what they think best, not mindlessly ask "what would Belichick do".

Wallcrawler
02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
The Patriot Way is misunderstood by most on here because they either hate the Patriots, Pioli, or being "Patriots lite" or because they're not willing to take time to figure out how it works, to whatever degree we simple fans can.

Im going to tell you something it looks like you dont know. This is a Chiefs board. We dont give a flying feck about Tom Tuck Rule, Bill Belicheat, or the fecking "Patriot Way" of looking at players outside of Tom Tuck Rule as nothing more than numbers. We're not misunderstanding it. We just dont give a shit about it, and we mock it as viciously and as often as we can.

Also note that the Patriots Way is not necessarily the Chiefs Way

You dont say. Someone should let Scott Pioli in on that, because his utter failure to replicate the Tom Tuck Rule magic has cost us 64 million dollars and reduced our passing game to 3-4 YPA. ]

or the Falcons Way. BB would never have traded up for Julio Jones the way Dimitroff did in Atlanta, for example. Each GM is going to do what they think best, not mindlessly ask "what would Belichick do".

Any GM with a brain cell isnt going to ask "What would Belicheat do." Even if they did, its impossible to replicate. Saying that a team should wait for Mo Lewis to obliterate your starting QB, forcing your hand to start a scrub QB who turns out to be worlds better than your starting QB. Then you support said QB by videotaping opposing teams to get an unfair advantage and when you get caught you just say "I misinterpreted the rules." Really. A guy everyone claims is a genius couldnt figure out that he was the only motherfecker sending dudes out to tape other teams and that it was against the rules. Then, hold a press conference where you give condescending looks to anyone who asks a question and mumble some sarcastic crap among the audible snorts and grunts.

Nobody but the Patriot faithful give a rats ass about the Patriot Way. If youre looking for props for it, or some other crap, youre in the wrong place.

loochy
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

That.

Sofa King
02-10-2012, 09:12 AM

I'd be shocked if Amnorix wastes his time responding to you.

Wallcrawler
02-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Im about as concerned with that as I would be the Donk fans who didnt respond to my comments about their Superbowls needing asterisks by them for circumventing the salary cap.

Cheating in any form is a douche move. Its fine, they still keep their titles, but you cant honestly expect people to have respect or say good things for a team that does some underhanded shit. The Patriot Way has involved Spygate and thats enough in itself to have nothing but contempt for Belicheat and the way he does things.

beer bacon
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Wait, are we not planning on signing Carr? Aren't we like five billions dollars under the cap?

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 09:35 AM

What's to say? Haters gonna hate.

stonedstooge
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
And Cheaters gonna cheat

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
And Cheaters gonna cheat

It's such a joke, but whatever. I'm not going to change any perceptions. Have fun with it.

stonedstooge
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
It's such a joke, but whatever. I'm not going to change any perceptions. Have fun with it.

Guess the Goddelll thought it was a joke too. $500,000 fine and cover it up

doomy3
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Rotoworld says the Chiefs have shown interest in Routt already...

Amnorix
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Guess the Goddelll thought it was a joke too. $500,000 fine and cover it up

Like I said, haters gonna hate. Have fun wallowing in your bitterness and hatred. No skin off my nose.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
The agent for Stanford Routt, who was released by the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, is out in the media making it known that his client has suitors. He told ESPN's Josina Anderson that Routt has visits set up with the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans.

While no other visits are scheduled, the agent told another ESPNer, Calvin Watkins, that the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs have all "reached out" about Routt's services. Who knows what kind of interest they have, whether it's serious or just a phone call.

(By the way, I wonder how the Chiefs feel about the agent throwing their name out there publicly? That's usually not KC's style.)

I'm not sure what level of interest the Chiefs have in Routt but I can understand why they might want to keep tabs on him. The Chiefs have a free-agent-to-be in CB Brandon Carr, and they need to be prepared if, for some reason, he doesn't return to KC. I'm not saying that'll happen and I'm definitely not saying that should happen. I'm just saying KC should be prepared for that just in case.

1ChiefsDan
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Like I said, haters gonna hate. Have fun wallowing in your bitterness and hatred. No skin off my nose.

Hey, I'm not bitter. Was even rooting for Pats to win the SB. But the did cheat and they did get caught. Penalty wasn't severe enough

crazycoffey
02-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure what level of interest the Chiefs have in Routt but I can understand why they might want to keep tabs on him. The Chiefs have a free-agent-to-be in CB Brandon Carr, and they need to be prepared if, for some reason, he doesn't return to KC. I'm not saying that'll happen and I'm definitely not saying that should happen. I'm just saying KC should be prepared for that just in case.

probably just keeping tabs on market values