PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 30 FAs in 30 Days: LaRon Landry

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2012, 07:37 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/30-FAs-in-30-Days-LaRon-Landry/36ae0bd7-eb78-4bba-a3cd-b87988deb021

Today's featured player is Washington Redskins strong safety LaRon Landry

NAME: LaRon Landry
POSITION: Safety

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-0, 227

COLLEGE: LSU

GP/GS: 64/64

AGE/EXPEREINCE: 27/5 seasons

BACKGROUND: A former top-10 pick, Landry hits unrestricted free agency after five seasons with the Redskins. He’s started every NFL games he’s played in, but a recurring Achilles injury has limited the strong safety to just 17 appearances over the past two seasons.

A recent string of injuries could make Landry a bargain on the open market, especially if he agrees to a contract with play-time based incentives. He was a Pro Bowl alternate his first two NFL seasons and was leading the NFL in tackles midway through the 2010 season before landing on injured reserve with a left Achilles injury nine games into the schedule.

When healthy, Landry has been a hard-hitting difference maker. He’s been used to spy mobile quarterbacks and seems to be most effective when playing in the box.

AVAILABILITY: Landry finds himself heading toward the open market for the first time of his NFL career. He just finished the final season of a five-year rookie contract and his current footing in Washington is anything but solid.

Washington’s medical staff recently advised Landry to undergo off-season Achilles surgery, but Landry opted for a non-surgical PRP (platelet rich plasma) stem-cell procedure instead. He’s currently paying for PRP treatments out of his own pocket.

“I love the organization, even [with] what’s going on now,” Landry told a Washington radio station last week. “But I love the fans. I just love being a Washingtonian. I definitely want to finish what I started because I feel like I’ve got a lot more to show for my fans and the organization.”

If Washington has soured on its former top pick, Landry could be an attractive option for a team willing to gamble on his current injury situation.

COACHING CONNECTIONS: Landry was Jim Zorn’s strong safety of choice in Washington, starting 31 games of Zorn’s 32-game tenure as Redskins head coach from 2008-09. Entering his second season as Kansas City’s quarterbacks coach in 2012, Zorn should be able to provide expert analysis on what a healthy Landry provides.

A product of LSU, Landry also has a number of connections inside Kansas City’s locker room. Most noteworthy, Landry and Dwayne Bowe were part of the same high school signing class at LSU in 2003.

WHY HE FITS: Injuries to Eric Berry and Jon McGraw left the Chiefs extremely thin at safety last season. To create depth at the position, the team must make several moves in the coming months.

Berry, Kendrick Lewis and Donald Washington are currently the only safeties under contract for 2012.

With Berry’s health still in question while he recovers from in-season knee surgery, the Chiefs could be in the market to add a veteran safety with starting capability. Landry’s injury situation makes him a complex signing, but the right type of deal could make him an attractive choice in Kansas City.

In addition, the Chiefs often play three safeties in sub-package sets. Landry’s ability to play inside the box could further his appeal.

NJChiefsFan
02-13-2012, 07:45 AM
I just posted this in another thread, but I am ok letting Lewis stay. I know some would like to swap Berry at the other spot, but I like it the way it is. You need to have some decent but not great players at certain positions when you are working with a cap. I would rather fix other spots that are weak than upgrade a position we already have a decent player at. Same thing with Belcher. Unless its a 1 year deal where we are using our roll-over cap money, I would rather spend this in another spot.

ForeverChiefs58
02-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes please!

58-4ever
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Interesting, but there are at least five other FA I would rather have.

ForeverChiefs58
02-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Interesting, but there are at least five other FA I would rather have.

Who?

Our needs are:

-QB
-RT
-NT
-ILB
-RB
-S
-OL
-TE

We have the cap room to fix these holes through the draft and FA.

htismaqe
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
I just posted this in another thread, but I am ok letting Lewis stay. I know some would like to swap Berry at the other spot, but I like it the way it is. You need to have some decent but not great players at certain positions when you are working with a cap. I would rather fix other spots that are weak than upgrade a position we already have a decent player at. Same thing with Belcher. Unless its a 1 year deal where we are using our roll-over cap money, I would rather spend this in another spot.

We're some $60M under the cap. This team really isn't a position where they have to make the "hard" decision. Of course, they won't sign anybody and we'll here about how the process is to be cautious and smart.

NJChiefsFan
02-13-2012, 08:22 AM
We're some $60M under the cap. This team really isn't a position where they have to make the "hard" decision. Of course, they won't sign anybody and we'll here about how the process is to be cautious and smart.

Your last sentence is way too real a possibility.

mcaj22
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
the day this team goes for a talent like this in FA is the day I also talk to a hot girl in public.

which is never

O.city
02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Landry would make our defensive secondary second to none in the NFL.

When you are bringing someone of Lewis talent in for packages, it's a good thing.

Landry, if he can stay healthy, could play McGraws role better than McGraw. He could play that linebacker role on passing downs with Berry and Lewis playing safeties. Lewis could just play a centerfield role, which he is better suited to play.

You could have Berry being a ballhawk when Landry is playing SS. I love Berry at SS, but he is so talented that he needs to play everydown. I know some have argued against it, but I would rather have Berry playing 16 games for 10 years than being like Polamalu and breaking down faster.

Rausch
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM

When you are bringing someone of Lewis talent in for packages, it's a good thing.

Landry, if he can stay healthy, could play McGraws role better than McGraw. He could play that linebacker role on passing downs with Berry and Lewis playing safeties. Lewis could just play a centerfield role, which he is better suited to play.

You could have Berry being a ballhawk when Landry is playing SS. I love Berry at SS, but he is so talented that he needs to play everydown. I know some have argued against it, but I would rather have Berry playing 16 games for 10 years than being like Polamalu and breaking down faster.

I thought Berry was better suited at FS from day one.

O.city
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I think Berry is so talented that he can effectively play either SS or FS at an all pro level. I just think he would be more of a difference maker at FS, by getting more turnovers and staying on the field longer.

O.city
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Another fit for Landry
4:04
PM ET
LaRon Landry | Redskins | Interested: Chiefs?
TopEmailComments

It remains to be seen what the Washington Redskins will do with LaRon Landry. The club is poised to use the franchise tag on Fred Davis, and given Landry's health issues, a long-term deal seems unlikely. It's possible that they can work a short-term pact out, but the Landry camp may elect to pack it up and move elsewhere.

If that happens, one potential fit is with the Kansas City Chiefs, a concept explored by Josh Looney of KCChiefs.com in a post on Monday.

Depth at safety is more of a need for K.C. than front-line talent. Then again, a starting duo of a healthy Landry and a healthy Eric Berry (still in recovery from a torn ACL) would be formidable. In fact, both men made the list of the Top 5 young safeties in the NFL as selected by Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc. back in October. Here's Williamson on Berry and Landry, respectively:

- Tim Kavanagh

Matt Williamson
Poised for greatness?
"If any young safety has the potential to reach the level of Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, it's Berry. But, of course, he was lost for the year with a torn ACL very early in the 2011 season and the ramifications of his loss can be felt throughout the Kansas City defense. Berry is capable of being great in every facet of the position described above. Hopefully his injury doesn't stunt his growth too much. ... Landry is 26 years old, which makes him the oldest safety on this list, but he is a rising star. He began his career slowly but has really come into his own with Jim Haslett as Washington's defensive coordinator. Landry is a huge safety with a powerful body and great power. He is best near the line of scrimmage and has shown fantastic playmaking ability."

KCrockaholic
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm all for anyone how could come in and help our team get better. Although I really like what Kendrick Lewis has done as a 5th round pick, a Safety tandem of Landry and Eric Berry would be un-fucking-real.

O.city
02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
With Landry, the Chiefs whole secondary have allpro potential.

Mr. Laz
02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I thought Berry was better suited at FS from day one.yep

jspchief
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM

This is how I feel.

In itself, I love the idea of Landry on this team. But looking at the total picture, I just don't think its a priority unless he comes cheap.

Chief_For_Life58
02-13-2012, 08:33 PM
With Landry, the Chiefs whole secondary have allpro potential.

Lock up carr and sign landry. HOLYSHIT! Wed have 4 pro bowlers playing db. This really isnt that far fetched. 3 year deal or something? How much $ is he looking for?

Easy 6
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Good points all.

Its his 8.5 games a season over the last two years that bother me though.

Xanathol
02-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Landry and Berry together at safety is pretty much unfair.