By Josh Looney

Today's featured player is San Diego Chargers nose tackle Antonio Garay

NAME: Antonio Garay
POSITION: Nose Tackle

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4, 320

COLLEGE: Boston College

GP/GS: 48/28

AGE/EXPEREINCE: 32/6 seasons

BACKGROUND: A late bloomer, Garay’s NFL career didn’t’ take flight until 2010 when the Chargers moved on from perennial All-Pro nose tackle Jamal Williams. Garay was a 30-year old journeyman at the time, bouncing on and off practice squads and active rosters with just 16 games to show for seven years spent in the NFL.

Garay had logged no sacks and only 14 career tackles prior to winning out as the Chargers starting nose tackle in 2010. He originally entered the NFL as a sixth-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2003.

But something clicked when Garay received the first regular playing time of his career. He was more than a pleasant surprise for the Chargers, pairing 5.5 sacks with 48 tackles in his 15 starts for the team two seasons ago.

Garay has since appeared in every game for San Diego each of the past two seasons, making 28 total starts.

Though his numbers last season weren’t as impressive his 2010 campaign, Garay’s stout play as a two-gap player will make him attractive to plenty of 3-4 defenses this off-season. Especially since he’s shown the ability to get to get after the quarterback.

AVAILABILITY: In many ways, Garay resembles a San Diego version of former Chiefs defensive lineman Shaun Smith.

Like Smith, Garay has a big personality both inside and outside the clubhouse. He often mixes hair colors like Dennis Rodman, sports facial hair the Chiefs haven’t seen since Mike Vrabel’s chops (which don’t really offer much comparison) and has even been known to drive around in a Hello Kitty Smart Car.

On the field, Garay gave the Chargers far more production than they originally expected and he’s in line to receive what will likely be the biggest contract of his career.

How much are the Chargers willing to dish to re-sign Garay? Will they be willing to get into a bidding war with another club?

The Titans, you might recall, raised a few eyebrows in Kansas City when the team offered Smith a three-year, $7.25 million contract that included $3.25 million in the first year. Smith was making much less with the Chiefs and even spent time in the UFL trying to regain his NFL stride.

Garay was a low salary vet for San Diego, but he may be one of the most sought nose tackles in 2012 free agency. What will his worth be on the open market and how high are the Chargers willing to bid?

COACHING CONNECTIONS: Garay just missed crossing paths with Romeo Crennel in Cleveland when he was released by the Browns in December of 2004. Crennel was named Cleveland’s head coach in February of 2005.

Regardless, the Chiefs staff is familiar with Garay from playing against him twice a year for the past two seasons. Also, with Garay having played collegiately at Boston College, Chiefs GM Scott Pioli wasn’t far away while serving as the Vice President of Player Personnel in New England.

WHY HE FITS: The Chiefs have two nose tackles under contract for 2012, but neither has much NFL experience. A sixth-round pick last season, Jerrell Powe played just seven defensive snaps as a rookie and Anthony Toribio has spent the majority of his NFL career on the practice squad.

Kelly Gregg, a 14-game starter last season, is contemplating retirement and scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency. Amon Gordon, who was Gregg’s primary backup and a pleasant surprise for the Chiefs last year, is set to become an unrestricted free agent as well.

With little experience at the position, the Chiefs will need to make a move at nose tackle in one way or another.

Garay is one of several 3-4 nose tackles with starting experience scheduled to hit the open market.

Jethopper
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2hQES5YMAco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amnorix
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Would think he's a very attractive candidate for the Chiefs, who can both improve their team and injure a divisional opponent's in one move.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
If they can get him on the cheap, I say why not? We could use an upgrade at NT, and like it said in the post, Kelly Gregg is a free agent who is contemplating retirement. He wasn't exactly a great player for the Chiefs anyway. That's a spot they need to upgrade, and Garay has been solid for a couple of years. He's 30 though and just now hitting his stride, so there are red flags. That's why if it's a bargain price tag, grab him up. If not, work it out another way.

If they don't have Richardson available by the time they pick, I wouldn't mind drafting Brockers out of LSU. He could play at DE and with a little time in the gym this offseason could be ready to step into the NT role.

Sofa King
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
I actually liked what i saw from Gordon when i watched him play. Not enough to be the starter, but definitely enough to bring him back.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 10:05 AM
I actually liked what i saw from Gordon when i watched him play. Not enough to be the starter, but definitely enough to bring him back.

We need someone who can come in and start though, and Garay might be able to do that for at least a year or two, just until they develop a prospect or get a good young NT signed up .

Hydrae
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
If they can get him on the cheap, I say why not? We could use an upgrade at NT, and like it said in the post, Kelly Gregg is a free agent who is contemplating retirement. He wasn't exactly a great player for the Chiefs anyway. That's a spot they need to upgrade, and Garay has been solid for a couple of years. He's 30 though and just now hitting his stride, so there are red flags. That's why if it's a bargain price tag, grab him up. If not, work it out another way.

If they don't have Richardson available by the time they pick, I wouldn't mind drafting Brockers out of LSU. He could play at DE and with a little time in the gym this offseason could be ready to step into the NT role.

Please, no more LSU defensive linemen!

Direckshun
02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
He's a one-gapper.

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 10:59 AM
He's a one year wonder. Got a lot of credit in '10, but his play fell off after just one year.

He's also a mouthpiece. Kinda like another McClain.

Buck
02-14-2012, 11:12 AM
He's a one year wonder. Got a lot of credit in '10, but his play fell off after just one year.

He's also a mouthpiece. Kinda like another McClain.

Um, he was our best D-Lineman last year too.

He got injured at some point so he didn't play in all the games.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Please, no more LSU defensive linemen!

Haha. I hear that, but Dorsey has been very good under the radar, and this regime didn't draft the other guy.

The Bad Guy
02-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Why does it matter if he's on the cheap? It's a weakness that has to be fixed.

The selective nature of some makes me want to puke.

"Yeah, signing a good player, who could help the defense, and weaken a rival would be great if he'd sign with my favorite team, a team that doesn't win often, for pennies on the dollar."

I also can't endorse taking a RB at 11. You don't pay premiums for running backs.

whoman69
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Sign a 32 year old FA? Yeah, makes sense.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM

"Yeah, signing a good player, who could help the defense, and weaken a rival would be great if he'd sign with my favorite team, a team that doesn't win often, for pennies on the dollar."

I also can't endorse taking a RB at 11. You don't pay premiums for running backs.

The reason I wouldn't want to spend too much on the guy is because he's well past prime age and has really only had one good year as a pro. Why would you want to pay a bunch of money for that resume?

The Bad Guy
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Sign a 32 year old FA? Yeah, makes sense.

Would I love to see a young run stoppnig NT drafted or acquired?

Yes.

However, it's a big need and Garay can play 2-3 years at a high level. He's only really been a starter the last 2 years.

The Bad Guy
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
The reason I wouldn't want to spend too much on the guy is because he's well past prime age and has really only had one good year as a pro. Why would you want to pay a bunch of money for that resume?

He's an effective player. Effective players don't play for cheap. It's a weakness that has to be addressed whether it's wtih Solali or Garay. He doesn't have a ton of wear on his tires and can collapse a pocket from the interior.

I'd rather pay Solali, but Garay is still going to get around a 3 year deal for about 12-15 mill.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Would I love to see a young run stoppnig NT drafted or acquired?

Yes.

However, it's a big need and Garay can play 2-3 years at a high level. He's only really been a starter the last 2 years.

That's true, and it's basically what I said earlier. I wouldn't want to throw a ton of $$$/Years at a guy who's only started for a couple of years and may only have a couple more.

As far as drafting a RB that early, this is the best RB prospect since AP. With Charles never getting more than 230 carries while healthy, picking Richardson at 11/12 makes sense to me.

O.city
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
NT is a huge need, Soliai is the best available guy that fits the scheme. Why do people not want to pay him?

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
NT is a huge need, Soliai is the best available guy that fits the scheme. Why do people not want to pay him?

Who doesn't want to pay Soliai?

milkman
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM

There isn't a single player at 11/12 that has the potential impact of Richardson.

htismaqe
02-15-2012, 07:53 AM
There isn't a single player at 11/12 that has the potential impact of Richardson.

Good or bad.

jspchief
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Disagree on the 1 year wonder claim.

But agree he's a 1 gap NT, not an ideal fit. Although maybe with Jackson and Dorsey being so stout against the run, we could make it work.

I wouldn't mind him. Doubt the Chargers let him get away.