PDA

View Full Version : Football Peyton Manning news coming?

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Jim Irsay@JimIrsayReply
Retweet

NEWS in horseshoe land,coming up...stay tuned to http://colts.com!!!

Sofa King
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Manning to KC. Cut by Indy and signed with KC in the same hour.

Direckshun
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
What could it possibly be, other than "we have released Peyton Manning."

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Doubt it.

And why does Irsay tweet so much? How old is he?

suds79
02-14-2012, 03:08 PM
One of their stories on their front page is a pic from the Chiefs game.

FATE.

Direckshun
02-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Doubt it.

My guess is that he's not actually the guy punching shit into Twitter.

ModSocks
What could it possibly be, other than "we have released Peyton Manning."

Signed a new coach?

Adjust parking prices?

Im gonna guess that it has nothing to do with Manning and is likely something no one but Colts season ticket holders give a shit about.

Sofa King
Doubt it.

He's a publicity freak. Loves attention.

Direckshun
02-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Thing is, all he's saying is that Colts news is coming up.

So this could be news that they've retained their quality control coach or something.

DaKCMan AP
My guess is that he's not actually the guy punching shit into Twitter.

Yeah he is. Micky Arison (Heat's owner) is big on twitter too.

ModSocks
Thing is, all he's saying is that Colts news is coming up.

So this could be news that they've retained their quality control coach or something.

Pretty much.

It's usually something stupid, just like the Chiefs.

FAX
02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
He's announcing a new product line; Peyton's Forehead Shine. "Save money on flashlights and candles with an economy-size jug of Peyton's Forehead Shine, the best forehead shine on the market. Made from a patented blend of ethylene and ingredients found only in nature or Monsanto, Peyton's Forehead Shine is guaranteed to outlast and outglow every other forehead shine, or your money back. Remember, when the electricity's out and it's dark as a mine, you can count on Peyton's Forehead Shine!"

FAX

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Another misleading title from twitter boy imagine that.

talastan
02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
He's announcing a new product line; Peyton's Forehead Shine. "Save money on flashlights and candles with an economy-size jug of Peyton's Forehead Shine, the best forehead shine on the market. Made from a patented blend of ethylene and ingredients found only in nature or Monsanto, Peyton's Forehead Shine is guaranteed to outlast and outglow every other forehead shine, or your money back. Remember, when the electricity's out and it's dark as a mine, you can count on Peyton's Forehead Shine!"

FAX

To what tune is the plug playing over? Your the resident musician FAX. Inspire us! ;)

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Another misleading title from twitter boy imagine that.

How is it misleading you dumb fuck i guess you don't see the ?

FAX
02-14-2012, 03:22 PM
To what tune is the plug playing over? Your the resident musician FAX. Inspire us! ;)

ROFL

I wish I knew a way to post music on here. I would do it, probably.

FAX

Radar Chief
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
He’s been cut from the cast of A Night at the Roxebury II because he can’t do the head bob thing with his neck injury.

ChiefsCountry
How is it misleading you dumb **** i guess you don't see the ?

It says nothing about Peyton Manning in that tweet dipshit. It said Colts news not Peyton Manning.

ShowtimeSBMVP
It says nothing about Peyton Manning in that tweet dipshit. It said Colts news not Peyton Manning.

Manning not part of the colts?

Sofa King
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM

LMAO

Newsflash. Peyton Manning IS the Colts.

talastan
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
ROFL

I wish I knew a way to post music on here. I would do it, probably.

FAX

I could try and hum a few bars....hmmm..hmm..hm hmm..hmmm. It is a very good key to sing to right? :)

Predarat
02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Ohhh no, not that fucking guy again!

talastan
02-14-2012, 03:27 PM
:rolleyes: Irsay probably just got a thousand hits on the Colts website from this tweet alone. Attention Whore!! :rolleyes:

FAX
02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
I could try and hum a few bars....hmmm..hmm..hm hmm..hmmm. It is a very good key to sing to right? :)

Perfect. I hear this as a kind of old-fashioned, '50s jingle, you know? Perhaps using a chorus of ladies in housedress and aprons gathered lovingly around Peyton as his glorious head lights the way to happiness.

FAX

BossChief
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Joke:

"we have decided that with this news of Peyton being cleared to play that we are gonna pay him the bonus and the #1 overall pick is now up for trade!

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT"

Fumblerooski
02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
On their site: 16 mins ago.

Colts announce coaching staff...

Fire Me Boy!
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I'll bet they hired Jim Bob Cooter away from us! :cuss:

Quesadilla Joe
02-14-2012, 03:35 PM
#Colts news @JimIrsay referred to is Clyde Christensen staying on as quarterbacks coach & Jeff Fitzgerald as LB coach, per @RavensInsider.

Sofa King
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
#Colts news @JimIrsay referred to is Clyde Christensen staying on as quarterbacks coach & Jeff Fitzgerald as LB coach, per @RavensInsider.

http://www.wtftoday.eu/wp-content/2010/05/WTF_face.jpg

DMAC
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM

What a douche. ROFL

Fish
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Nick Wright says "Well played!"

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Andrew Brandt@adbrandt

2012 Colts Cap number for Peyton Manning: $17 million if kept; $10.4 million if released.

02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Nick Wright says "Well played!"

Wright truly believes that Manning is coming to KC. What a dumbass.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
He's a publicity freak. Loves attention.

this

it's just bullshit

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
i don't think that the Daboll hiring mixes well with Manning.

sorry folks

saphojunkie
02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Doubt it.

You're on an internet message board. Glass houses, dude...

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
You're on an internet message board. Glass houses, dude...

? wtf are you talking about?

DTLB58
02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Wright truly believes that Manning is coming to KC. What a dumbass.

He also was "Sure" McShortbus was coming here also. :rolleyes:

saphojunkie
02-14-2012, 04:18 PM
? wtf are you talking about?

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/people+who+live+in+glass+houses+should+not+throw+stones.html

Johnny Vegas
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
www.nfl.com is reporting breaking news "Manning is welcome back on a contract reflecting his health uncertainty."

MoreLemonPledge
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
www.nfl.com is reporting breaking news "Manning is welcome back on a contract reflecting his health uncertainty."

What does that even mean?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM

So...

Who is benched, Peyton or Luck?

I don't see this happening.

Either Luck will pull and Eli or Peyton will be released.

Johnny Vegas
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

I'm high as shit but I think it means a triple fucking rainbow is about to form

talastan
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

It is Irsay trying to keep Manning and the fanbase happy while being able to grab Luck and pay for both of them. The ball is in Manning's court. He said he'd be willing to sign an incentive based contract to make him more attractable to other teams should he be released. I wonder if he'll do it with the team he is already signed with?

bevischief
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
He going to work with Tebow in the off season.

Dave Lane
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Why don't we trade a 5th round choice to Indy in next years draft contingent on playing time that could escalate to a 2nd rounder if we win the SB. Call Peyton re-work his contract and then trade for him. Fuck letting him hit the open market.

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Why don't we trade a 5th round choice to Indy in next years draft contingent on playing time that could escalate to a 2nd rounder if we win the SB. Call Peyton re-work his contract and then trade for him. **** letting him hit the open market.

Probably because Manning would never agree to it. He going to test F/A, and he's going to go to the highest bidder.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Probably because Manning would never agree to it. He going to test F/A, and he's going to go to the highest bidder.

Not necessarily.

talastan
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM

This; if Manning has only one more shot at a final payday before retiring he'll want as much as possible should he end up in a wheelchair later on down the road.

O.city
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
If they keep Manning, and Luck says no thanks and ends up in KC, this place will blow up.

saphojunkie
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
As I understood it, they couldn't restructure the deal until the new season begins.

They cannot trade him until the new season begins.

If he is a Colt when the new season begins, they have to pay him a 28 million dollar bonus.

This is essentially saying one of two things:

1. Peyton can stay on the team if he gives some of that money back on March 8.

2. We are cutting Peyton Manning, but would love to re-sign him for less money.

saphojunkie
02-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I agree, but with one caveat:

I think he's going to the best situation, and that includes not only money but weapons, defense, coaching, weather, and division. The best combination of those things will land him.

Carlota69
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Why don't we trade a 5th round choice to Indy in next years draft contingent on playing time that could escalate to a 2nd rounder if we win the SB. Call Peyton re-work his contract and then trade for him. **** letting him hit the open market.

Why do people insist on talking about a Manning TRADE?? There is no trade and there will be NO trade. Manning is going to be a COLT or a F/A. The contract is structured that way. Period. I cant believe after all this time people still bring up a Manning TRADE...unreal....:rolleyes:

FAX
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Okay. Here's a question for you guys ...

Let's say Manning goes elsewhere because the Colts want to re-boot with Luck under center.

Can he sign up with a team like the Texans (who can't afford him) or the Skins or the Vikes or the Jets, take them to the Super Bowl, and win it? Is he that good? I guess I have my doubts about that.

FAX

02-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Nah, he will go where ever his best chance at a superbowl title is.

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree, but with one caveat:

I think he's going to the best situation, and that includes not only money but weapons, defense, coaching, weather, and division. The best combination of those things will land him.

Nah, he will go where ever his best chance at a superbowl title is.

Yeah, I'm just gonna disagree with everyone on this. Peyton is the greediest player in the NFL. Know how I know? Look at his freaking contract. Richest Contract in NFL History. At any point did he take a lesser contract from Indy so that they could allocate their funds to improve their roster? Did he take less money so the Colts could put more Money into the roster and push for a SB? Hell no. When his contract was up just one season ago, he demanded to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He didn't say, "oh man, i only have 2-4 more years left, i should take less so the Colts can sign some top F/A so we could get another ring"

Nope. Didn't hear that from him. Apparently getting paid out weighs playing on a superior team.

Players feed that BS line of "I wanna go to a contender" all the damn time.

Well the contender always ends up being the team that pays the most.

Now, if the debate were between two teams with relatively equal contracts, then yeah, i agree, he'd go to the team with the best shot at a SB.

Otherwise, i still think he'll go to the highest bidder.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Colts owner Jim Irsay says he'd "love" to keep Peyton Manning (neck surgeries), but with a contract that "reflects the uncertainty" of his healing process.
Irsay says he wants Manning "to be able to make the choice" on his future with the Colts. It's a naked gambit to place the blame on Manning if (when) the two sides part ways. Manning would be unreasonable to expect the Colts to exercise his $28 million option bonus, but it would be equally unreasonable for the Colts to expect Manning to return for as much or less money than he could get on the open market while simultaneously competing with a rookie quarterback. It's been clear for weeks, but Manning has taken his final snap in Indy.

Brooklyn
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
if he plays, he'll go somewhere that will likely tarnish his legacy. Any team that you can even speak of as being a Super Bowl contender already has a QB. That's why they are a contender in the first place. I could see the Chiefs maybe eeking into the conversation if their D and offensive weapons return to form, but he isn't taking the Browns, Jets, Phins, or Skins past the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Packers, or Saints.

Of all the teams who need a QB, I'd say KC or Jets are the most well rounded otherwise. And NYJ may just be dumb enough to stay sold on Sanchez, so that leaves KC. Or Manning just going to any old team to try and keep playing and having no real shot at matching his brother's second ring.

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
if he plays, he'll go somewhere that will likely tarnish his legacy. Any team that you can even speak of as being a Super Bowl contender already has a QB. That's why they are a contender in the first place. I could see the Chiefs maybe eeking into the conversation if their D and offensive weapons return to form, but he isn't taking the Browns, Jets, Phins, or Skins past the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Packers, or Saints.

Of all the teams who need a QB, I'd say KC or Jets are the most well rounded otherwise. And NYJ may just be dumb enough to stay sold on Sanchez, so that leaves KC. Or Manning just going to any old team to try and keep playing and having no real shot at matching his brother's second ring.

$$$$ Talks.

The question is, how many millions is his legacy worth to him?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Jim Irsay to John Clayton: "We want him back. We can work out the contract if he wants to work it out. It's going to be Peyton's call.''

saphojunkie
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM

steelers are about to suck.

Cap hell; mendenhall is out for 2012; Mike Wallace needs his contract re-upped; they are falling apart internally. (see: Haley, Todd); and their offensive line is just offensive.

Aging on defense as well. I don't put them anywhere near the "elite" teams. But that's just me. I'd just say, don't be surprised if they aren't in the playoffs for a while.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Irsay just trying to avoid being the bad guy.

all that 'keep it in the family' stuff from before and now 'it's on Manning'

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Exactly.

It's an asshole move really. Just trying to win the popular vote.

Okie_Apparition
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
I've got a new 22 year old girlfriend, all new furniture, friends & lifestyle
If you want to live with us until we're married, that's cool

BossChief
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM

That exactly what I thought.

Fuck irsay.

Why sign the guy to that deal with that roster bonus if you don't intend on paying it...even if PM is cleared to play?

Then you expect PM to renegotiate to stay?

Just for that, I'd want to sign with a division rival and stick it to em.

Kyle DeLexus
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I'm just gonna disagree with everyone on this. Peyton is the greediest player in the NFL. Know how I know? Look at his freaking contract. Richest Contract in NFL History. At any point did he take a lesser contract from Indy so that they could allocate their funds to improve their roster? Did he take less money so the Colts could put more Money into the roster and push for a SB? Hell no. When his contract was up just one season ago, he demanded to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He didn't say, "oh man, i only have 2-4 more years left, i should take less so the Colts can sign some top F/A so we could get another ring"

Nope. Didn't hear that from him. Apparently getting paid out weighs playing on a superior team.

Well the contender always ends up being the team that pays the most.

Now, if the debate were between two teams with relatively equal contracts, then yeah, i agree, he'd go to the team with the best shot at a SB.

Otherwise, i still think he'll go to the highest bidder.

Peyton restructured his contract AFTER they won the Super Bowl to save the Colts around $8 million in cap space. During the negotiations of his last contract, I'm pretty sure I remember everyone in his camp saying he doesn't have to be the highest paid player in the NFL, but Irsay said he was going to take care of his guy when they Franchised him. In fact, if I'm remembering right, his contract actually saved the Colts cap space compared to when he was franchised.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Peyton restructured his contract AFTER they won the Super Bowl to save the Colts around $8 million in cap space. During the negotiations of his last contract, I'm pretty sure I remember everyone in his camp saying he doesn't have to be the highest paid player in the NFL, but Irsay said he was going to take care of his guy when they Franchised him. In fact, if I'm remembering right, his contract actually saved the Colts cap space compared to when he was franchised.
i don't know what happened with Manning specifically but restructuring a contract rarely means less money for the player. In fact, usually it means the player gets more money immediately in exchange for moving around the numbers on his contract.

usually just an ink change

Donger
02-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Is there even a modicum of chance that Manning comes to the Chiefs?

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
always a chance but i just don't see it.

which just signed a high energy/intense offensive coordinator who is out to prove something not lay down and let Manning run things and Payton is part OC when he's QB.

The Chiefs are just not a high risk type organization from top to bottom.

Hunt - as much business as they are football and not about the risk
Pioli - not a high risk guy
Crennel - not a high risk guy

just don't see it

-King-

If he were looking for a team best suited to win a championship that was just missing a QB, then I think he would like what he saw in KC.

Kyle DeLexus
i don't know what happened with Manning specifically but restructuring a contract rarely means less money for the player. In fact, usually it means the player gets more money immediately in exchange for moving around the numbers on his contract.

usually just an ink change

He changed a roster bonus to a signing bonus so the Colts could count it over the remaining 4 years instead of 1. Same amount of money, just didn't get it as soon.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
If he were looking for a team best suited to win a championship that was just missing a QB, then I think he would like what he saw in KC.
this is true, the Chiefs fit the description of a decent growing team with enough cap room to sign him without cutting players.

need a better Oline and more reliable WR's though

Manning runs an adaptable,smart offense and i'm not sure our WR's/Olinemen are smart enough to do it. Both Bowe and Baldwin seem unreliable about running routes and tend to lose focus. Maybe that will improve with a better QB and better coaching.

I don't know what would happen the first time Bowe ran a 10 yard in when he was supposed to run a 10 yard out and Manning cussed him out.

Kyle DeLexus
02-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Man could you have been any more wrong on this?

Quote from Peyton right before he signed.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player, I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

“I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25726/manning-to-colts-spend-elsewhere

ModSocks
02-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Man could you have been any more wrong on this?

Quote from Peyton right before he signed.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player, I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

“I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25726/manning-to-colts-spend-elsewhere

Meh. We're all wrong sometimes.

munkey
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
this is true, the Chiefs fit the description of a decent growing team with enough cap room to sign him without cutting players.

need a better Oline and more reliable WR's though

Manning runs an adaptable,smart offense and i'm not sure our WR's/Olinemen are smart enough to do it. Both Bowe and Baldwin seem unreliable about running routes and tend to lose focus. Maybe that will improve with a better QB and better coaching.

I don't know what would happen the first time Bowe ran a 10 yard in when he was supposed to run a 10 yard out and Manning cussed him out.

With a healthy JM and TM, Bowe and Baldwin...really?

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
well well http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/chiefs-hire-a-guy-with-connections-to-peyton-manning/

58-4ever
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
well well http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/chiefs-hire-a-guy-with-connections-to-peyton-manning/

gotta love some Jim Bob Cooter. Pussy, country style

Mr_Tomahawk
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Q

FAX
02-14-2012, 08:03 PM
With a healthy JM and TM, Bowe and Baldwin...really?

We don't need those guys ... just so long as we have a healthy Cooter.

FAX

tk13
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Irsay and Manning are really playing the PR game hard, if nothing else. They are doing everything possible to make the other one look like the bad guy when Manning gets cut loose.

Simplicity
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
We don't need those guys ... just so long as we have a healthy Cooter.

FAX

I chuckled.. A little. ROFL

cabletech94
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
so, uhm, did we sign payton menning yet?

FAX
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Irsay and Manning are really playing the PR game hard, if nothing else. They are doing everything possible to make the other one look like the bad guy when Manning gets cut loose.

Sure looks that way.

FAX

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 08:42 PM

No,he dose not need money.Hes set for life.

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
We got mannings guy cooter to lure manning here,lol heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
No,he dose not need money.Hes set for life.

Well he does seem much smarter than Alan Iverson.

cabletech94
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM

and is at least funnier.

CUT THAT MEAT!!!!!

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Yes Iverson,what a stupid ass

ForeverChiefs58
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM

Iverson thinks money is just practice.

Pioli Zombie
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Peyton Manning was seen fucking the shit out of a Real Estate agent in Overland Park

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Peyton Manning was seen ****ing the shit out of a Real Estate agent in Overland Park

Wow I saw him at Applebees Monday at 5 30 pm in lees summit

Epic Fail 007
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Cut that meat!!

cabletech94
02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Cut that meat!!

post #87

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost.:rolleyes:

O.city
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
If they are gonna keep Manning, I hope Luck says not thanks and gives Irsay a big fuck you on the way out.

NJChiefsFan
02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Peyton Manning was seen ****ing the shit out of a Real Estate agent in Overland Park

ROFL

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
While the decision-making process regarding Peyton Manning's future in Indianapolis continues to unfold, new details about his problematic neck issues and his attempts to deal with them have surfaced.

SI.com has learned from NFL sources that Manning actually underwent a fourth, unreported, medical procedure in the past two years, not three as has been widely known.

While it cannot be determined exactly when the unreported procedure on Manning's neck took place, it was at some point after his May 23 surgery in Chicago to correct a bulging disk, and before his Sept. 9 one-level cervical neck fusion surgery in Marina Del Rey, Calif. The same doctor who operated on Manning's bulging disk in May did a follow-up procedure last summer in Chicago, as a result of the original surgery. Both of those operations came while the NFL and its players were still engaged in their protracted labor fight, with clubs having very limited medical contact with injured players. At the time of Manning's September neck operation, that surgery was reported to be his third neck procedure in 19 months. In reality, it was his fourth.

In addition, league sources say Manning's neck has potentially developed bone spurs just above the point where his latest fusion surgery took place in early September, and the Colts organization is under the belief that it is nearly inevitable Manning will at some point require further surgery, and possibly another fusion procedure, even if he does successfully return to the field in 2012. It's unclear how any potential long-term neck issues will impact Manning's decision to attempt a resumption of his NFL playing career later this year.

When reached Wednesday, Manning's agent, Tom Condon, declined to comment on any specifics regarding his high-profile client, other than adding: "I wouldn't have anything to say about all of that, one way or another.''

While the new details paint a picture of Manning's health that may be more tenuous than is publicly known, NFL sources told SI.com that the Colts quarterback was strenuously trying to show team officials and coaches that he was capable of playing in the final two weeks of the regular season, but specifically in red zone situations, where his limited arm strength would be less of a liability.

Manning was targeting the Colts' Week 16 home finale against Houston for his return, league sources said, even taking part in an organized and fully-scripted 30-play practice session in the week leading up to Indy's Week 15 home game against Tennessee. In that workout, Manning performed in front of Colts team president Bill Polian, head coach Jim Caldwell and offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, who was on hand to call plays.

Manning threw passes to Indianapolis running back Joseph Addai during the workout, as well as to some reserve or practice-squad Colts receivers. Longtime Colts center Jeff Saturday snapped the ball to Manning, who also tried to elicit the participation of Colts receiver Austin Collie, league sources said. But that move was vetoed by Polian because Collie was gimpy at the time from a foot injury. The side practice session was not in violation of any NFL rules, because all players involved were on the active roster, with the Colts checking with the league to make sure they were in compliance.

While one league source said Manning was clearly angling to play against Houston, another league source said the issue quickly became moot after the Manning-led workout, because Colts team physician Hank Feuer quickly ruled out clearing Manning for any on-field action.

Feuer said Manning's neck muscles at that time were still atrophied from his long period of inactivity following the September surgery, and he had yet to recover his full range of motion in the area. It short-circuited any possibility Manning had of getting back on the field before the 2011 season ended, with him at one point hopeful he could show the team he was capable of running its red-zone offense against the Texans and possibly the following week at Jacksonville, league sources said.

Polian was said to be initially frustrated by the extent and scope of the workout, which he then viewed as a surprising attempt to play in a meaningless situation at the end of a long and defeat-filled season in Indianapolis. League sources say the former leader of the Colts front office was taken off-guard by the intensity and pace of the 30-play session that Manning took part in. Polian was under the belief that it would be conducted at walk-through speed, but instead it was held at typical regular-season tempo with scripted play calls.

A day later, league sources said, the team's strength and conditioning staff impressed upon Polian that it had wanted to see how Manning responded to a fast-paced and scripted workout, because his recovery was not going to reach the next level if he simply continued to lob passes at a leisurely pace. And the practice was conducted from the 25-yard line on in because that was then roughly Manning's ceiling in terms of his arm strength throwing the ball.

Sources who were on hand for the practice say that while Manning was accurate with his passes, he threw nothing longer than 20-22 yards, and his passes wobbled at times, with perhaps 80 percent of his usual velocity. Manning also seemed to be visibly fatigued at times during the workout, sources said, which further convinced Caldwell and others that it would be unwise to risk further injury to their franchise quarterback with a cameo appearance against Houston or Jacksonville.

"He wanted to go on the field and try to dump red-zone passes against Houston,'' a league source said. "Even though his neck muscles hadn't even been strengthened yet. Can you imagine anyone putting him on the field in that situation? Just to throw a string of red-zone passes? But that's where things were going at that time, and it kind of speaks to the insanity of the situation.''

All four of Manning's recent surgeries or medical procedures have been on the right side of his neck, league sources said. The team is concerned that Manning's neck injuries have reached the chronic stage, and that there could be a genetic aspect to his condition. Manning's older brother, Cooper, 38, had his college football career ended before it began when he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal that required surgery to relieve pressure on the spinal cord. In Peyton Manning's case, any evidence of stenosis is thought to be on the moderate side, league sources said, but the likelihood of further complications increase with each new surgery he undergoes.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/15/peyton/index.html#ixzz1mTkyzETa

whoman69
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
This is a lot of posturing on both sides. It makes 0 sense for the Colts to bring back Manning except to placate his fans. They push back Luck's development 3-4 years. This isn't Favre/Rodgers. Luck is ready day 1 to assume the role where Rodgers was not. In this situation I would expect Manning to smother any competition by taking 100% of the snaps with the first team. It also makes 0 sense for Manning. He won't have a championship ready team or his old weapons behind him. The Colts are rebuilding. Manning plays no part in that.

talastan
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
"He wanted to go on the field and try to dump red-zone passes against Houston,'' a league source said. "Even though his neck muscles hadn't even been strengthened yet. Can you imagine anyone putting him on the field in that situation? Just to throw a string of red-zone passes? But that's where things were going at that time, and it kind of speaks to the insanity of the situation.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/15/peyton/index.html#ixzz1mTkyzETa

This is the reason why I think Peyton won't consider retirement. Whether he redoes his contract with the Colts or they release him and he goes somewhere else (KC please!!:grovel:) He is too competitive of a guy to just hang them up right now.

FAX
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
This broke-neck dude needs to hang up the banjo.

FAX

stonedstooge
02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds like Manning has a common problem that many who have this surgery experience. The fusion, or in my case a titanium cage, stabilizes the area of the main damage, but in doing so, it starts to throw off the vertebrae above and below the area that has been stabilized

FAX
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Sounds like Manning has a common problem that many who have this surgery experience. The fusion, or in my case a titanium cage, stabilizes the area of the main damage, but in doing so, it starts to throw off the vertebrae above and below the area that has been stabilized

Yep. The body tries to compensate for the new architecture. It's a side-effect of the surgery that's impossible to predict, also.

If he's smart, he'll take his forehead to the TV studio.

FAX

scho63
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm more sick of this Peyton Manning BS then the 50,000 news stories evangelizing that drug addict mess Whitney Houston like the second coming of the Virgin Mary

Renegade
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
So would you rather listen to the Farve or Manning Saga? Personally, I prefer Manning by the narrowest of margins.

bevischief
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Yep. The body tries to compensate for the new architecture. It's a side-effect of the surgery that's impossible to predict, also.

If he's smart, he'll take his forehead to the TV studio.

FAX

So it looks like he has a death wish, I didn't know about his brother has a neck problem too. Head to TV or coaching.

Baby Lee
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost.:rolleyes:

ROFL ROFL - I pictured that space as you taking a breath.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/3/32/3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

boogblaster
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
news worthy .. no ......

tk13
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
The signs have been there for months, people just refuse to see them. It's more exciting to think of Manning as a FA. The guy has had reoccuring neck issues, difficulty throwing and even gripping a football for the better part of a year... and people expect him to look like '05 Manning come August. Maybe he will, but there's also probably more risk here than with any FA QB in recent history.
Posted via Mobile Device

kcxiv
02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
The signs have been there for months, people just refuse to see them. It's more exciting to think of Manning as a FA. The guy has had reoccuring neck issues, difficulty throwing and even gripping a football for the better part of a year... and people expect him to look like '05 Manning come August. Maybe he will, but there's also probably more risk here than with any FA QB in recent history.
Posted via Mobile Device

I rather take that risk, then trot Cassel out there to start. We know we got nothing with that dude. His tops are 250 yards a game and 3 td's if we are lucky.

FAX
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
He has a broke neck, Mr. kcxiv.

He has a broke neck.

FAX

Thig Lyfe
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Manning to KC. Cut by Indy and signed with KC in the same hour.

Is 1 hour the over/under?