PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Things to do in Winter Park in the Summer

02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Title says it all.

What kind of stuff is there to do in early June in Winter Park, Co.

Keep in mind, we are a family of six with kids aged 4-16.

kstater
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Plan your trip for the winter.

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Outside of the resort? Or are you asking what there is to do at the resort itself?

It's one of the more active resorts in the summer. They've got a ton of stuff for families to do, like an alpine slide (self-propelled roller coaster/bobsleddy thing), climbing wall, trampoline, mini golf, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting. You could also run up to Grand Lake and rent a paddle boat or something.

Outside of that, there's always a million things to do in the mountains, and you're only 45 minutes or so from Rocky Mountain National Park. There are a million places to hike around there, and plenty of wildlife and scenery inside the park.

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Leave Winter Park and go somewhere more interesting.

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, go do one of those raft rides, that's an experience you'll never forget.

FAX
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm ...

You could hike, maybe. Get yourself some nice binoculars and bird watch ... or spy on the neighbors. I think they have a maze or something. And a miniature golf course. Or, you could go up and down on the chair lift.

FAX

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
How many days are we talking about, and what's the main purpose of the trip? (In other words, why are you going to WP in the first place since you don't know what there is to do there?)

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
How many days are we talking about, and what's the main purpose of the trip? (In other words, why are you going to WP in the first place since you don't know what there is to do there?)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because of the cheap summer rates on lodging.

02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Just a family vacation. Getting away from this God forsaken state.

Defintely what to know first and foremost what there is to do IN Winter Park. I fully plan to go to RMNP. I also want to go river rafting but what places are there that are near to WP for that? I don't really want to trek all the way down to Buena Vista.

FAX
Wow. It's too damn bad that they don't have Full Metal Jousting in Winter Park. That looks like fun.

FAX

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because of the cheap summer rates on lodging.

Yep, WP and Dillon have some kick ass rates on condos for the week I am looking at.

02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Oh, it is a full week vacation. Saturday to Saturday or sunday.

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Defintely what to know first and foremost what there is to do IN Winter Park. I fully plan to go to RMNP. I also want to go river rafting but what places are there that are near to WP for that? I don't really want to trek all the way down to Buena Vista.

Unfortunately, you'll have to do at least a little driving to find some good rafting. Winter Park's not around any major rivers to my knowledge. You can find some rafting on Clear Creek down toward Idaho Springs, though, which is only maybe 45 minutes away.

02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, you'll have to do at least a little driving to find some good rafting. Winter Park's not around any major rivers to my knowledge. You can find some rafting on Clear Creek down toward Idaho Springs, though, which is only maybe 45 minutes away.

I'm fine with a little driving. Just want to keep it within an hour or so. I've already done the rafting runs in Brown Canyon so I don't want to do those again.

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Once you cross the divide you're in a predominantly skiing area, most of the good stuff is on the eastern slope.

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
That's where we went, I think you're the one who referred me to the place. Our guide was kind of a dick but it was still quite the adventure.

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm fine with a little driving. Just want to keep it within an hour or so. I've already done the rafting runs in Brown Canyon so I don't want to do those again.

Na, no need to go all the way down there. The Clear Creek stuff isn't very scenic (it's right along I-70), but they're fun just the same.

If you're looking for something more scenic, you'd probably want to head the other direction toward the Colorado river. I've never done anything in the area, but this place seems to be in Fraser, which is right there by Winter Park.

http://redtailrafting.com/

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
That's where we went, I think you're the one who referred me to the place. Our guide was kind of a dick but it was still quite the adventure.

Ha...I'm certainly no expert on rafting. I drive by the places all the time but have only done it once a decade or so ago myself. Glad you had a good time, though. :D

02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
What are the ratings of the rapids for those runs Face? I like to have at least level 3 and 4 with one or two level 5s in there.

We went on a run off the interstate out by Grand Junction one year and it was boring as hell with mostly level 2 rapids. Complete waste of money.

DaFace
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
What are the ratings of the rapids for those runs Face? I like to have at least level 3 and 4 with one or two level 5s in there.

We went on a run off the interstate out by Grand Junction one year and it was boring as hell with mostly level 2 rapids. Complete waste of money.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think the ones on Clear Creek are usually pretty decent. I'd imagine the ones out of Fraser are probably a little more tame given how flat the area around there is, but I really don't know.

02-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Again, I'm no expert, but I think the ones on Clear Creek are usually pretty decent. I'd imagine the ones out of Fraser are probably a little more tame given how flat the area around there is, but I really don't know.

I understand. Any information is better than none though. If the rapids are at least challenging then they are good enough for me.

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
IIRC Clear Creek had several different levels, they took you to different sections of the river depending on how crazy you wanted to get. We took the easiest one and I was still exhausted afterwards.

02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
IIRC Clear Creek had several different levels, they took you to different sections of the river depending on how crazy you wanted to get. We took the easiest one and I was still exhausted afterwards.

What a wimp. LMAO JK

Those level 5s are a friggin blast man.

CoMoChief
02-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Winter Park sucks in the summer.

Go camping and River raft on the Arkansas River.
Me and my dad did this. They call it Seidel's Suckhole. Class 5 rapid. (it was class 5 when I went because the river was high fast and rough because it rained a lot the day before)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zl1B0wAjOzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
02-14-2012, 10:43 PM
What a wimp. LMAO JK

Those level 5s are a friggin blast man.
I think it had more to do with the position you are seated in than the nature of the river. It was freaking uncomfortable. And I didn't care for the way our guide yelled at people who didn't do everything right. Look fuckface, we're the ones paying YOU, not the other way around. You're with a bunch of amateurs, get over it.

02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Winter Park sucks in the summer.

Go camping and River raft on the Arkansas River.
Me and my dad did this. They call it Seidel's Suckhole. Class 5 rapid. (it was class 5 when I went because the river was high fast and rough because it rained a lot the day before)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zl1B0wAjOzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats INTENSE. I don't do camping though. Never again. I have done Browns Canyon twice but we must have gotten off the river before that rapid because I sure don't remember it.

Checked out clear creek. They definitely have some good rafting going on there.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qICXsUpRJa0&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qICXsUpRJa0&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

02-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I think it had more to do with the position you are seated in than the nature of the river. It was freaking uncomfortable. And I didn't care for the way our guide yelled at people who didn't do everything right. Look ****face, we're the ones paying YOU, not the other way around. You're with a bunch of amateurs, get over it.

Really? I've never had a problem with any of the guides we have had. They have always done a good job of gauging the guests to get people in the right spot on the raft.

02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Crap. There looks to be one problem with WP. All their summer activities won't be open until the week after we leave. No access to the climbing wall, zipline, maze or alpine slide.

That sucks.

FAX
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Okay. Here's what you do. Hire yourself about .... oh ... 8 dwarves. Then, get yourself a wagon and a riding crop and harness the dwarves to the wagon. Put the wife and kids in the wagon and have those dwarves haul you guys around town. It's fun as heck. You see a lot of sights and you have the chance to beat the crap out of some dwarves.

FAX

02-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Okay. Here's what you do. Hire yourself about .... oh ... 8 dwarves. Then, get yourself a wagon and a riding crop and harness the dwarves to the wagon. Put the wife and kids in the wagon and have those dwarves haul you guys around town. It's fun as heck. You see a lot of sights and you have the chance to beat the crap out of some dwarves.

FAX

Can I have them trample on Elway while were at it too?