PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What Ground Beef do you buy?

Buck
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Poll forthcoming.

O.city
In before the poll.

80/20 I think. Not sure.

Dartgod
Ground turkey. 93/7

RJ
02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Depends on what I'm cooking.

And like Dartgod, there's a lot of ground turkey used these days.

Buck
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I cooked some ground turkey yesterday and was pretty disgusted with what the fat did as I was cooking it. I'm sticking to Ground Beef from now on.

alnorth
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Usually 90/10, its pretty close to the same price as 85/15, but 97/3 looks like overkill for the price.

keg in kc
02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Ground turkey. 93/7Yep.

Bugeater
02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
WHY IS THIS A PUBLIC POLL? :cuss:

AustinChief
02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Ground turkey. 93/7

Is that what your boyfriend prefers? :D

Ok, ground turkey isn't too bad, at least you didn't say some sort of soy product

lewdog
02-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I go 93/7 unless I can find 90/10 which is usually quite a bit cheaper than 93/7. Did find a good sale on 93/7 though today and bought about 5lbs to freeze.

Frazod
02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I pretty much exclusively buy ground pork now.

Buck
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Why do you guys go so lean? Don't you like juicy meat?

Bump
02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
depends, on the grill 80/20, something in the pan 93/7 or if I want to cook something and utilize the fat, I'll go 85/15

RJ
02-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I grill burgers with 80-85. I make things like meatballs and tacos and chili with 90. Ground turkey burgers or tacos work best for me with 85.

It just depends.

listopencil
02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Why do you guys go so lean? Don't you like juicy meat?

It's not juice. It's just fat that melts away when you cook it, helping to flavor the meat along the way. Anything leaner than 80/20 is very spendy around here but I'll go as high as 90/10 if I see a decent price. I tend to buy 1) pork, 2) chicken, 3) beef, but the beef I tend to buy is ground beef.

Buck
02-19-2012, 08:06 PM
It's not juice. It's just fat that melts away when you cook it, helping to flavor the meat along the way. Anything leaner than 80/20 is very spendy around here but I'll go as high as 90/10 if I see a decent price. I tend to buy 1) pork, 2) chicken, 3) beef, but the beef I tend to buy is ground beef.

Pretty sure that your juicier burgers are more fatty than your less juicy ones. Could be wrong though.

JOhn
02-19-2012, 08:06 PM
WHEN I buy beef, it's the leanest I can get.

But normally we eat Deer or Elk burger, by far the best.

Buck
02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
WHEN I buy beef, it's the leanest I can get.

But normally we eat Deer or Elk burger, by far the best.

I ate Deer for the first time last week!

I was at my boss's house and her brother had just got home from hunting the day before and he was making Vennison Sausage Egg McMuffins and he made me one. It was pretty good! I guess they add 15% porkfat to the ground deer meat.

It was a little gamey for me, but that's just because I'm not used to it. I will try it again.

JOhn
02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I ate Deer for the first time last week!

I was at my boss's house and her brother had just got home from hunting the day before and he was making Vennison Sausage Egg McMuffins and he made me one. It was pretty good! I guess they add 15% porkfat to the ground deer meat.

It was a little gamey for me, but that's just because I'm not used to it. I will try it again.

As for the additional pork fat, if you have it processed yourself you can specify the amount.
Deer burger, I tend not to add anything to as I process it myself. When I get an Elk, I have 10% added.

As for gamey a lot depends on how long you hang it, how you process it ect. If I get some that is to gamey, adding a little pepper tends to kill that taste.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Depends on what I'm cooking. I'll buy 85/15 for burgers/meatloaf, 93/7 for specialty italian dishes. Anything else gets ground venison or elk at 99/1. (Grind it myself)
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh, and I'm going to try some ground pheasant burgers (mixed with a little pork) next weekend. I still have 25 or so in the freezer. Anyone ever try that? The pork is supposed to keep it held together on the grill and keep it moist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
:spock: Do you make hamburgers with that?

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
they pretty much pay for themselves. Sometimes we mix ground pork,50/50, sometimes not. its around 90/10 straight out the package.

Edit...the milk fed ones are the best..

Bugeater
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh, and I'm going to try some ground pheasant burgers (mixed with a little pork) next weekend. I still have 25 or so in the freezer. Anyone ever try that? The pork is supposed to keep it held together on the grill and keep it moist.
Posted via Mobile Device
No. I haven't tried that. Maybe you should invite me over sometime.

(hint hint)

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

How many pounds can you grind an hour?

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
No. I haven't tried that. Maybe you should invite me over sometime.

(hint hint)

Well, shit... Opening day for the Royals maybe? Do you watch baseball at all?
Posted via Mobile Device

TrebMaxx
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
It really depends on what is being prepared.

Buck
02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone who grinds their own shit, what grinder do you have?

listopencil
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Pretty sure that your juicier burgers are more fatty than your less juicy ones. Could be wrong though.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtocook/a/howtocookbeef.htm

Bugeater
02-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Well, shit... Opening day for the Royals maybe? Do you watch baseball at all?
Posted via Mobile Device
lol...yeah, a little bit. I've even been to a couple baseball games in my lifetime.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone who grinds their own shit, what grinder do you have?

Hobart, don't know the model but its big.

Lonewolf Ed
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Ground round or ground sirloin. Nothing else will do.

TrebMaxx
02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Our Kitchenaid has a attachment for grinding that works well. Sometimes I will use a old cast iron grinder that has to be 100 years old, or so it seems! I like to use the old one with a mix of top sirloin and ribeye for chilli meat. The Kitchenaid is good for making sausage.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
How many pounds can you grind an hour?

Well, it depends on what I'm doing. I have a butchering station all set up for large game. I can grind up 30 lbs of elk meat in about 20 mins. I have a huge grinder hooked up to a 3/4 Hp motor and a fan belt from an old furnace. I have a meat mixer, (hand crank) and a sausage press that does 10 lbs at a time. To answer your question, though... I have no idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Hobart, don't know the model but its big.

This. I got that bad boy with blades that you can sharpen on an electric knife sharpener. It totally kicks ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
If we push for choice, or better, steaks, the ground meat normally comes in around 80%. If forced to buy store bought meat I stick with 80-85%... but it really doesn't matter because it still tastes like store bought meat. Anything leaner than 85% just doesn't come off the grill the way I like.

I briefly suffered through a lean, mean, salad eating relationship in college.... Never again.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
lol...yeah, a little bit. I've even been to a couple baseball games in my lifetime.

Shit, it's a date then. Ribs, beer, maybe some wild game. Let's try to get some of the other omaha Cp'ers in on this too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You're going to do what to pheasant?? :eek:

That's as bad as grinding wild turkey breast! I'd cube them bad boys up, roll in your favorite mix, drop them in the hot oil and drink with beer to taste!

Buck
02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
I'll be there Gonzo.

I'll bring the appletinis.

btlook1
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Sucks to be you city slickers....home grown is the only way to go. You do realize that by purchasing the cheap stuff you getting whatever gets thrown in off the kill /cut table don't ya? Probably eating 10 year old cows that were wore out skinny and half sick....won't ever buy that stuff unless I have to....

hometeam
02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
why is this poll missing lower fat?

It all depends on what im cooking,

I like 90/10 for most stuff, like burgers. if i have to go fattier 85/10 is good for chilis and other meals where the burger is cooked with liquid.

Bugeater
02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Shit, it's a date then. Ribs, beer, maybe some wild game. Let's try to get some of the other omaha Cp'ers in on this too.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm going to hold you to this. Maybe I need to put it in my sig....

Mojo Jojo
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Depends on what I'm making. I really prefer to use lean Bison for most red meat.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
You're going to do what to pheasant?? :eek:

That's as bad as grinding wild turkey breast! I'd cube them bad boys up, roll in your favorite mix, drop them in the hot oil and drink with beer to taste!

Dude, I don't think you get it...
I shoot 2-3 every weekend from late Sept-Feb 1. I have a shit-ton in my freezer and I'm getting a little tired of teriaki pheasant, grilled pheasant, fried pheasant and grilled pheasant. I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump for fuck sake.
My freezer currently contains:
35 lbs deer summer sausage
30 lbs deer steaks
30 + pheasant
15 grouse
30 lbs Antelope
2 wild turkeys (whole)
25 lbs misc elk meat

We don't really need the meat dept at the local grocer, (but beef and swine is too fucking good)
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I shoot 2-3 every weekend from late Sept-Feb 1. I have a shit-ton in my freezer and I'm getting a little tired of teriaki pheasant, grilled pheasant, fried pheasant and grilled pheasant. I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump for fuck sake.
30 lbs deer steaks
30 + pheasant
15 grouse
30 lbs Antelope
2 wild turkeys (whole)
25 lbs misc elk meat

We don't really need the meat dept at the local grocer, (but beef and swine is too fucking good)
Posted via Mobile Device

Surely you can't eat all of that. Ship me some of that Deer Steak and Elk Meat.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I'll be there Gonzo.

I'll bring the appletinis.

You are welcome in my home anytime, man.
You fly in to Omaha and I'll pick your ass up. We'll hit the Royals AAA field and drink Miller lite like a mofo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
02-19-2012, 09:03 PM
You are welcome in my home anytime, man.
You fly in to Omaha and I'll pick your ass up. We'll hit the Royals AAA field and drink Miller lite like a mofo.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's good because I think Bugeater is sick of me and he hasn't even picked me up from the Omaha Airport in almost 2 years!

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Surely you can't eat all of that. Ship me some of that Deer Steak and Elk Meat.

Get your ass here. I'm the best wild game cook you'll ever meet. (Or meat)
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Get your ass here. I'm the best wild game cook you'll ever meet. (Or meat)
Posted via Mobile Device
Super Ghey. ROFL

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Ghey. ROFL

He's from Cali, dude. They love that kinda shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
ground turkey here.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
He's from Cali, dude. They love that kinda shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you think about the ban hammer?

ghak99
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
30 lbs deer steaks
30 + pheasant
15 grouse
30 lbs Antelope
2 wild turkeys (whole)
25 lbs misc elk meat

Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL
I still wouldn't make a pork burger mix out of them.

This is the third year in a row I've brought home a pair of antelope, all from different states. Other than making jerky out of them, I've yet to find a way to not make them taste like dog's ass. What do you do with them?

I film several hunts in various regions of the country every year and we raise our own beef... the freezers stay full. I despise the "meat products" most grocery stores crank out.:thumb:

jjchieffan
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM

I go to Harter House and buy Boston Burger. It is a 60/40 blend of 90/10 hamburger with ground pork. My wife started buying it and I really like it. Bonus is it is only $1.99/lb.

kcxiv
02-19-2012, 09:33 PM
we got this meat place here in town called Richwood Meats and i just get their sirloin ground beef, so damned good.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
ROFL

This is the third year in a row I've brought home a pair of antelope, all from different states. Other than making jerky out of them, I've yet to find a way to not make them taste like dog's ass. What do you do with them?

I film several hunts in various regions of the country every year and we raise our own beef... the freezers stay full. I despise the "meat products" most grocery stores crank out.:thumb:

I think I've found a new buddy... Awesome man!

Anyway,
With Antelope, you have a 50/50 chance on getting one that's eaten nothing but sage grass. When that happens, the meat is pungent and gamy.
What I do with the steaks is marinate in a mix of the following (in a zip-loc):
1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing.
1 tsp onion salt.
1/2 tsp season salt.
3 - 5 drops liquid smoke.
Marinate for a few hours, then grill fast and hot.
You can also use a meat injection needle, that will accelerate the process.
One thing I've heard as well is if you don't like the above process, you can use 1% milk and soak overnight to get that flavor out.
One more method is when you butcher the animal, take one clove of garlic and a pinch of beef bullion and place it at the bottom of the bag. Then vacuum-seal it and let it sit overnight in the fridge before freezing.
I do that last thing with prairie chicken and antelope on occasion. It seems to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
30 lbs deer steaks
30 + pheasant
15 grouse
30 lbs Antelope
2 wild turkeys (whole)
25 lbs misc elk meat

Posted via Mobile Device

Dammit...send some of those things to Western Kansas.

I go pheasant hunting for a weekend every year out near Gorham, KS and it takes ten of us flushing fields all day to get a shot/person. I took 2 down last year and it was my best year ever (though I've only gone for about 6 years now).

I hear the pheasant hunting out there used to be fantastic, but it really seems mediocre these days. That or I just don't have the patience to spend 30 minutes walking back and forth in a milo field with the hopes of flushing a bird or 2.

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Dammit...send some of those things to Western Kansas.

I go pheasant hunting for a weekend every year out near Gorham, KS and it takes ten of us flushing fields all day to get a shot/person. I took 2 down last year and it was my best year ever (though I've only gone for about 6 years now).

I hear the pheasant hunting out there used to be fantastic, but it really seems mediocre these days. That or I just don't have the patience to spend 30 minutes walking back and forth in a milo field with the hopes of flushing a bird or 2.

Heh, brother... You have no idea. I don't go with a group of people. It's me, my pop and two Brittany Spaniels. We've had the same blood-line of Brits since 1973. Best bird-dogs ever. Nebraska used to rival South Dakota in Pheasant population. Now, since the floods and 2 rough winters, not so much.
I'm hoping for a rebound but it's going to take a while. I go every weekend, walk 6 hours and maybe get 2-3 roosters. The good thing is, we did see a bunch of hens this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I think I've found a new buddy... Awesome man!

Anyway,
With Antelope, you have a 50/50 chance on getting one that's eaten nothing but sage grass. When that happens, the meat is pungent and gamy.
What I do with the steaks is marinate in a mix of the following (in a zip-loc):
1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing.
1 tsp onion salt.
1/2 tsp season salt.
3 - 5 drops liquid smoke.
Marinate for a few hours, then grill fast and hot.
You can also use a meat injection needle, that will accelerate the process.
One thing I've heard as well is if you don't like the above process, you can use 1% milk and soak overnight to get that flavor out.
One more method is when you butcher the animal, take one clove of garlic and a pinch of beef bullion and place it at the bottom of the bag. Then vacuum-seal it and let it sit overnight in the fridge before freezing.
I do that last thing with prairie chicken and antelope on occasion. It seems to work well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm definitely trying this and the milk soak. This pair came from central Wyoming with nothing but sage and short grass for miles around. I nearly puked on the first steak I cooked last month, hell the dog wouldn't even touch it. It looked great, smelled a little gamy, and came off the grill in style, but man was it horrible!

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Heh, brother... You have no idea. I don't go with a group of people. It's me, my pop and two Brittany Spaniels. We've had the same blood-line of Brits since 1973. Best bird-dogs ever. Nebraska used to rival South Dakota in Pheasant population. Now, since the floods and 2 rough winters, not so much.
I'm hoping for a rebound but it's going to take a while. I go every weekend, walk 6 hours and maybe get 2-3 roosters. The good thing is, we did see a bunch of hens this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, we did see more hens this season than last. Unfortunately my old man decreased the hen population by 1 this season...his eyes aren't what they once were (though in fairness to him, it was a pretty nice shot).

Maybe they're just getting smarter. I'm pretty sure they all just wait along the side of the road so they can fly away just as we step out of our trucks. They seem to get a kick out of that...

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, we did see more hens this season than last. Unfortunately my old man decreased the hen population by 1 this season...his eyes aren't what they once were (though in fairness to him, it was a pretty nice shot).

Maybe they're just getting smarter. I'm pretty sure they all just wait along the side of the road so they can fly away just as we step out of our trucks. They seem to get a kick out of that...

Hen shots happen every now and again. Especially if you've been walking 4 hours and haven't seen shit and the bird flies right into the sun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm definitely trying this and the milk soak. This pair came from central Wyoming with nothing but sage and short grass for miles around. I nearly puked on the first steak I cooked last month, hell the dog wouldn't even touch it. It looked great, smelled a little gamy, and came off the grill in style, but man was it horrible!
Man, if it's that bad go with whole milk. It's the lactose and protein in the milk that reduces ph and acidity in the meat, thusly changing it's flavor. You can also try powdered milk for a little saltier flavor. This is why veal is force fed high calorie milk-fat and curds, btw. (Keeps them fat and tender too)
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
ROFL

A buddy of mine raises some cattle (maybe 15 head; not many) and every year he'll butcher a couple of them out. This year we're getting a side that's evidently a leaner Angus hybrid (I don't recall the cross). Without knowing what kind of cow it is, have any guesses as to how your average processor is going to process that ground beef? I've been pretty much assuming that it would end up at about 85%, but do they make a habit of going leaner/fattier than that as a general rule?

Predarat
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Anywhere from 80-90 depending on sales and what I am cooking.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Man, if it's that bad go with whole milk. It's the lactose and protein in the milk that reduces ph and acidity in the meat, thusly changing it's flavor. You can also try powdered milk for a little saltier flavor. This is why veal is force fed high calorie milk-fat and curds, btw. (Keeps them fat and tender too)
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn't have to force feed mine.

ArrowheadHawk
02-19-2012, 10:42 PM
I used to buy frozen turkey from Walmart but they went and raised the price from 1.50 to 2.50 per pound. Now I just go to the local meat market and get 85/15.

Okie_Apparition
02-19-2012, 10:45 PM
This is a racist joke trap
RUN

Reaper16
02-19-2012, 10:51 PM
For beef? 80/20 or get the fuck out.

In58men
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
80/20 here.

ghak99
02-19-2012, 11:08 PM
A buddy of mine raises some cattle (maybe 15 head; not many) and every year he'll butcher a couple of them out. This year we're getting a side that's evidently a leaner Angus hybrid (I don't recall the cross). Without knowing what kind of cow it is, have any guesses as to how your average processor is going to process that ground beef? I've been pretty much assuming that it would end up at about 85%, but do they make a habit of going leaner/fattier than that as a general rule?

It would only be a stab in the dark. Age, breed characteristics, days on feed, feed sources, the butcher, and many other factors play a role. It would purely be a guess if I said anything. If he's been working with the same genetics, feed stuffs, and butcher he should be able to give you a good idea of what he expects. We used to sell a half to family/friends from time to time and if they insisted on it we would talk the butcher into leaning his grind for their half. He actually used the trimmed fat he pulled off the sold half to fatten up the ground meat from the cheaper/leaner cattle he butchered for himself. If you can't talk to the butcher, ask your buddy for a package of his ground meat from last year and you'll have a pretty good idea.

I see you're from Columbia... There is a pair of guys in the meat science department that can make a steak you'll never forget. There are 2 farms, assuming they're still there, south and east of town that raise some of the best beef you'll find in your area and used to sell packaged meat and/or halves depending on how you wanted it. It's not fresh killed/packaged/sold... I'm talking seriously good well aged beef.

WV
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM

If your buying a side of beef you should be in charge of every aspect of your side of beef. (ie. cuts of steaks you want, roasts you choose if any, and the fat content of the hamburger) If your not your not getting your money's worth.
As far as the breed you may be talking about an Angus Hereford mix (we call them white faces) they are a very popular cross for beef.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Wv is talkin about a cut sheet.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
If your buying a side of beef you should be in charge of every aspect of your side of beef. (ie. cuts of steaks you want, roasts you choose if any, and the fat content of the hamburger) If your not your not getting your money's worth.
As far as the breed you may be talking about an Angus Hereford mix (we call them white faces) they are a very popular cross for beef.

He's just getting his family 'usual' done. He's had a farm up there for awhile and his family take their cattle to the same processor every year. He just had them haul it in, he gave them some specifics on steaks (thickness; grind the round, etc...), but never discussed the fat content.

I'm just tagging along on this one so I wasn't going to be picky. I was just wondering if there's a 'standard'.

And I think you're right on the cross but I wasn't going to offer it and sound like an idiot (cattle people will jump your shit if you mess something up. "No, dumbass, you don't mix angus and charolais!...kill yourself!").

WV
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Wv is talkin about a cut sheet.

Precisely...thanks.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
It would only be a stab in the dark. Age, breed characteristics, days on feed, feed sources, the butcher, and many other factors play a role. It would purely be a guess if I said anything. If he's been working with the same genetics, feed stuffs, and butcher he should be able to give you a good idea of what he expects. We used to sell a half to family/friends from time to time and if they insisted on it we would talk the butcher into leaning his grind for their half. He actually used the trimmed fat he pulled off the sold half to fatten up the ground meat from the cheaper/leaner cattle he butchered for himself. If you can't talk to the butcher, ask your buddy for a package of his ground meat from last year and you'll have a pretty good idea.

I see you're from Columbia... There is a pair of guys in the meat science department that can make a steak you'll never forget. There are 2 farms, assuming they're still there, south and east of town that raise some of the best beef you'll find in your area and used to sell packaged meat and/or halves depending on how you wanted it. It's not fresh killed/packaged/sold... I'm talking seriously good well aged beef.

I've been to the MU Meat market and wasn't terribly impressed. All I grabbed was a couple of tri-tips and I guess that could've been the problem, but in all the meat just wasn't that great. Then again, I think that's just the meat that the Ag students sell from the University farms, so we may not be talking about the same thing.

I know patchwork farms just outside of town makes a hell of a hog, but that's about the extent of my local rancher knowledge.

WV
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
He's just getting his family 'usual' done. He's had a farm up there for awhile and his family take their cattle to the same processor every year. He just had them haul it in, he gave them some specifics on steaks (thickness; grind the round, etc...), but never discussed the fat content.

I'm just tagging along on this one so I wasn't going to be picky. I was just wondering if there's a 'standard'.

And I think you're right on the cross but I wasn't going to offer it and sound like an idiot (cattle people will jump your shit if you mess something up. "No, dumbass, you don't mix angus and charolais!...kill yourself!").

If I had to guess you'll likely get 80/20. It's popular and you get more yield that way. People are already in shock when they actually see what a side of beef looks like as compared to what most think they are going to get. If you go leaner with the hamburger the amount goes down even more....not huge though.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 11:29 PM
If I had to guess you'll likely get 80/20. It's popular and you get more yield that way. People are already in shock when they actually see what a side of beef looks like as compared to what most think they are going to get. If you go leaner with the hamburger the amount goes down even more....not huge though.

It butchered out to 440 lbs, so I'm a little curious as to exactly WTF I'm going to do with 1/2 of that. I'd be just fine with them leaning it out a little.

Thanks for the learnin'.

MOhillbilly
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Guy was tellin me beef went up 5$ a hundred this week.

WV
02-19-2012, 11:35 PM
It butchered out to 440 lbs, so I'm a little curious as to exactly WTF I'm going to do with 1/2 of that. I'd be just fine with them leaning it out a little.

Thanks for the learnin'.

You'll go through the steaks in no time, there simply aren't that many. We typically don't get many roasts, so we end up with a fair amount of hamburger. If you have a deep freeze, depending on how it's packaged we can keep hamburger nearly a year with no issues at all. We've even had some that got "lost" in the freezer that was older and still fine. Packed in plastic bags is how we get ours (white bags or plastic tubes like sausage)....I think that's pretty standard unless your paying extra to vacuum seal everything. Enjoy your quality product, I can't remember the last hamburger I bought in the grocery store and that's a good thing.

ghak99
02-19-2012, 11:37 PM
I've been to the MU Meat market and wasn't terribly impressed. All I grabbed was a couple of tri-tips and I guess that could've been the problem, but in all the meat just wasn't that great. Then again, I think that's just the meat that the Ag students sell from the University farms, so we may not be talking about the same thing.

I know patchwork farms just outside of town makes a hell of a hog, but that's about the extent of my local rancher knowledge.

Oh hell no.. I'd say you're dead on with their quality, or it used to be that way anyways. I'm guessing the good cuts still don't make it to the counter. Ask them about the "grad student steak" some time and watch them look at you like you're stupid... The real grad students will know what you're talking about, but deny it at all costs. LMAO

The farm names have slipped my mind, but they were private operations raising/butchering/selling their own meat. One was an angus based farm and the other is a shorthorn based farm. Both were producing a real nice product.

Imon Yourside
02-19-2012, 11:44 PM
80/20 Nothing wrong with animal fat, it's actually good for you.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
You'll go through the steaks in no time, there simply aren't that many. We typically don't get many roasts, so we end up with a fair amount of hamburger. If you have a deep freeze, depending on how it's packaged we can keep hamburger nearly a year with no issues at all. We've even had some that got "lost" in the freezer that was older and still fine. Packed in plastic bags is how we get ours (white bags or plastic tubes like sausage)....I think that's pretty standard unless your paying extra to vacuum seal everything. Enjoy your quality product, I can't remember the last hamburger I bought in the grocery store and that's a good thing.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. I'm taking most of the steaks, he's taking most of the roasts (works out well as I only want maybe one roast for jerky and the tri-tips and sirloin caps for smoking). I never have figured out how to make a good round steak, so that's going to the grinder. I figured I'd probably end up with close to 100 lbs of hamburger, 60 lbs of steak, a packer brisket (looking forward to round 2 with burnt ends) and another 30-40 lbs of misc. roasts; tri-tip, sirloin cap, probably a top round and an eye-round.

Getting pretty excited about it.

I figure it's about 3 metric 'labradors' worth of space in the freezer. Fortunately, I happen to have 3 labradors sleeping on the couch at the moment.

C'mere, boys...

ghak99
02-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Guy was tellin me beef went up 5$ a hundred this week.

I'd hate to guess future beef prices as it's going to get worse before it gets better... or better before it gets worse depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

The national cow herd has yet to rebound from the sell off during the droughts the past few years, grain prices are hitting the tops of their cycles, land prices are spiking, fertilizer prices are bouncing, and cheap labor doesn't exist anymore. It'll take at least 2-3 years for the herd to rebound, hit it's peak, and start a normal cycle to correct itself. Something has to give.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2012, 12:40 AM
80/20 Nothing wrong with animal fat, it's actually good for you.

Fat is flavor

|Zach|
02-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I figure it's about 3 metric 'labradors' worth of space in the freezer. Fortunately, I happen to have 3 labradors sleeping on the couch at the moment.

C'mere, boys...

LMAO

btlook1
02-20-2012, 02:24 AM

We butchered our 4-h steer this fall, he weighed about 1200 when he went to the locker. We purchased a new big freezer which is I think 23 cubic feet pretty much filled it up. that will last us for over a year. Cost about $2000 to purchase, feed out and process but it's worth it to have a better quality of beef and to know where it came from.