PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Describe your 'perfect' offseason

DJ's left nut
02-20-2012, 01:01 AM
The only caveat being that it needs to be reasonably doable.

And remember, this is a 'perfect' offseason, so there is no priority of occurences, so don't feel the need to list them in order of your preferred events. Additionally, remember that you're the owner and GM; so I don't care what Clark will spend, or what Pioli would do. It's your toy.

Mine:

Re-sign Carr (ballpark his deal at Flowers; $8 mil cap hit).
Franchise Bowe ($8.5 mil cap hit).

Sign Manning to a 3-yr deal giving him a marginal signing bonus but a fairly significant year 1 salary. Manning isn't a guy that will shut it down in years 2 and 3 if he's paid the bulk of his K in year 1 so he's a perfect use of our 'rollover' funds. You could give him a hefty guaranteed base salary (10 millionish) and a signing bonus of another 10 million(ish), thus guaranteeing him $20 million without knowing if he can throw; I don't think any other teams are willing to do that. You'll end up with a cap hit just shy of $14 million that way.

Sign Soliai. He, OTOH, may be a guy that would shut it down if he gets paid large up front, so we'll want to go 'conventional' with his deal. Vince Wilfork signed a record deal for NTs and his cap hit has been fairly reasonable for the last 2 years, with the best source I could find having it at about 5 million last year. Kyle Williams just re-signed for 6/39. Ngata has blown the scale a little bit in his new deal, but even it only has cap figures of about $7 million and $10.5 million in the first 2 seasons, with increases of about $2 million/season thereafter. The good news is that my memory is that Hali's contract was frontloaded, so it could easily offset that increase. But let's be pessimistic and say that Soliai gets a 'ngata' deal (unlikely, IMO) and we get an $8 million cap hit.

So you have cap hits of 8, 8.5, 14 and 8; about $38.5 million. Some say we get $63 million to play with, others are suggesting $37 million. In either event, at $37 million, money could be moved, contracts re-structured in a manner to make those 4 players fit, IMO. And if we have $60 some - well it's all the easier.

Draft time:

1) Trent Richardson, RB -- Dunno what we'll have in Charles and Richardson's skills as a pass-blocker/WR out of the backfield could help Manning out a ton. Our offense would be the best in the league at that point, IMO.

2) Zebrie Sanders, RT -- I think many concerns that LTs will go very high in the draft are well founded; I expect a run on LTs. The good news is that Sanders doesn't appear to be well suited to play LT and isn't quite a first round talent anyway. He appears to be very likely to fall to us, a capable pass-blocker (though not elite; hence his status as a likely RT) and a very good run-blocker.

3) Kevin Zeitler, G -- I know, I'm gonna get 'truefanned' to death here; but I don't think expecting Foles in the 3rd is reasonable. The ability to turn over 2/5 of our O-line as well as having a ton of young talent on that line is just too much to pass up. This kid is a road-grader and could give us just a little bit more of a nasty streak inside with Asomoah.

4) FANGUPO! -- Okay, with Soliai, we don't really need him; I just like his name. Honestly I'd love to see Ryan Broles, WR with this pick. If he comes back healthy, he's absolutely electric. He'd be what McCluster was supposed to be in the slot. He probably wouldn't be to full speed this season but we honestly wouldn't need him there just yet. He'd be a fantastic long-term weapon to get this late.

5) Michael Egnew, TE -- His senior bowl performances swayed me. Big kid, great hands. I think he can be taught to be at least a Dallas Clark level blocker. He'd be a great insurance policy for Moeaki and he's always been healthy as a horse.

6) Ryan Lindley -- Why not? I think he has some talent to work with.

7) I dunno - go find me a raw linebacker that can crack some skulls on special teams. Or a corner with some tools that might be an adequate dime-back some day. How 'bout Asa Jackson? Short but with speed to burn. D'Anton Lynn would also work here; taller but not as athletic. Probably wouldn't have lasted as long had he not gotten hurt last year. Probably a nice value pick here, but not as much upside as Jackson, IMO.

So there you have it - my 'ideal' offseason.

What say you? How would your perfect offseason go?

(EDIT: Fuck me...that's really long. My bad)

niblet
02-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Coma.

Munson
02-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Clark Hunt sells the team to Mark Cuban
Pioli is fired
Cassel is cut or traded
re-sign Bowe and Carr
sign Soliai
round 1 - draft RGIII
rounds 2-7 select the BPA
championship!

WhitiE
02-20-2012, 01:12 AM
RG thuh therd

jaa1025
02-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Resign Bowe and Carr
sign Orton
sign Nicks
sign Bell
Trade up for RGIII

Sign misc fa for depth.

Titty Meat
02-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Sign Manning
Sign Nicks
Sign Soilai

Draft

Round 1 Richardson

Round 2 Fleener

Direckshun
02-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Direckshun becomes GM for a day.

WR Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs

The Chiefs retain their most reliable weapon.

CB Brandon Carr, Chiefs

The Chiefs drop a big contract on their "1b" cover corner that frees up Crennel's defense to do everything it does.

C Chris Myers, Texans

The Chiefs drop another huge contract, this one being a ridiculously front-loaded contract on Myers, the best center on the market for my money and far and away the best zone blocking center.

NT Paul Soliai, Dolphins

Chiefs drop another front-loaded contract on a big free agent. Soliai is not an elite player but he's perfect for the Chiefs defense, and allows them to lock up the position for five years, instead of one.

QB Chad Henne, Dolphins

Henne follows Daboll and gets a two-year gig playing the backup position to see if Zorn can ignite some magic in him, should Cassel go down in 2012.

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Patriots

Perfect system is in place for Green-Ellis. He can carry about 60% of the carries, and of course, never fumbles.

WR Steve Smith, Eagles

One-year prove-it deal. Gives us four receivers (five with McCluster).

OG/C Kory Lichtensteiger, Redskins

Depth signing, for a Shanahan zone blocker.

SS Tom Zbikowski, Ravens

Depth signing.

As far as the draft is concerned, I am assuming the draft falls exactly as the latest (http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php) on Walt's site. So, no picking players that were taken before.

1 (trade down with Pittsburgh). ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama

I am going with BossChief's prediction that the Steelers trade up for Richardson. They give the Chiefs their 2nd this year and their 2nd in 2013.

Chiefs really wanted Mike Adams to keep falling. But he didn't. So they pit Belcher against Hightower in training camp.

2. OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Kind of a "meh" pick, but the value at tackle this year is supremely high. If you can get meh value on a tackle pick, do it sooner than later.

2. DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

Chiefs continue to build in the trenches. Dorsey has one more year, and Bailey is the heir apparent. Crick allows them a really good four-man rotation in 2012, with three of them experienced heading into 2013.

3. TE Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette

My pet pick, for the time being. Green is so rangey and has that great size that the Patriot Way tends to appreciate. Great hands, but will need work as a blocker. A reliable counterpart to the unreliably good Tony Moeaki.

4. OLB Dante Paige-Moss, North Carolina

This team MUST continue to build depth across the front seven. This is a low-risk, high-reward pick to hopefully land some talent behind Houston/Hali. This will also let us be free of Andy Studebaker.

5. FS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin

Free safety depth is needed.

6. NT Hebron Fangupo, BYU

Continuing to build depth. Powe may very well be a solid backup behind Soliai but if he just isn't coming along, Fangupo is insurance.

7. RB Brandon Bolden, Ole Miss

Big-ass runner out of Ole Miss. Green-Ellis is solid but he's due for an injury sooner or later. This is insurance.

QB: Cassel, Henne, Stanzi
RB: Charles, Green-Ellis, McCluster, Bolden
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Smith, McCluster, Copper
TE: Moeaki, Green, Maneri

LT: Albert, Sanders
LG: Hudson, Harris
C: Myers, Harris
RG: Asamoah, Lichtensteiger
RT: Sanders, Mims

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Soliai, Powe, Fangupo
DE: Jackson, Crick

OLB: Hali, Sheffield
ILB: Hightower, Belcher
ILB: Johnson, Williams
OLB: Houston, Paige-Moss

CB: Flowers, Carr, Arenas, Daniels, Brown
S: Berry, Lewis, Henry, Zbikowski

K: Succop
P: Colquitt
LS: Gafford
KR/PR: Arenas, McCluster

Discuss Thrower
02-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Cuban moves team to Los Angeles
Who cares after that point?

FYP

BossChief
02-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Cassel is gone

Mr_Tomahawk
02-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Direckshun becomes GM for a day.

So in your PERFECT offseason, we bring in Chad Henne to back up Cassel...?

:spock:

bevischief
02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Cassel is gone

You missed Pioli as well.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Scott Pioli gets fired. Matt Cassel is gone.

Don't wake me from my dream.

the Talking Can
02-20-2012, 08:04 AM
hmmm..perfect offseason

Pioli chokes on a hotdog making Cassel jealous. Cassel holds out for an apology ("that should have been my hotdog!") to which Pioli, having just coughed up what turned out to be a Wiener schnitzel, responds by firing the copy repair man for 'gross negligence' as it pertains to the strategically placed paper clip only just protruding from the strategically placed Healthy Choice Chicken Alfredo microwaveable tray that - in a true stroke of Piolian genious - was hiding in the trash.

And somewhere on a beach, with his clam diggers rolled up to his knees, Kcjohhny breaks a guitar string and expresses his love of Jesus off-key.

Hoover
02-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Hoover becomes GM

Removes yellow seats in the club section. Does not want to be reminded about empty seats while watching the game from the owners box.

1. Re-sign our young talent. Bowe and Carr are resigned.
2. Sign Soliai. Carr plus Soliai fill the needs gaps on defense.
3. Sign Peyton Manning. As I mentioned before I hate empty seats and I also like to sell Jerseys. Wouldn't mind being in an Oreo commercial either.
4. Sign Ben Grubbs. Nicks is going to get all the attention, but Grubbs is young too and solid.

Draft

1. OT - I'm not convinced that there will a run on OT's in the top 10. I think we can realistically get one of the top guys. I don't like going OT here, but I need to protect Manning and by LT is a FA next year. If I could land one of the top two QB's I'd do it in a heartbeat, but its not going to happen. My biggest needs are at QB and OT, and I'm taking one.

2. Running back. I'll take the best guy there.

3. Linebacker

OnTheWarpath15
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Scott Pioli is fired and we hire a GM that realizes what happens for 3 hours on gameday matters infinitely more than candy wrappers, using the color copier and leaving the lights on past 5:00.

Oh, and use our eleventy-billion in cap room to re-sign Bowe and Carr.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Hoover becomes GM

Removes yellow seats in the club section. Does not want to be reminded about empty seats while watching the game from the owners box.

1. Re-sign our young talent. Bowe and Carr are resigned.
2. Sign Soliai. Carr plus Soliai fill the needs gaps on defense.
3. Sign Peyton Manning. As I mentioned before I hate empty seats and I also like to sell Jerseys. Wouldn't mind being in an Oreo commercial either.
4. Sign Ben Grubbs. Nicks is going to get all the attention, but Grubbs is young too and solid.

Draft

1. OT - I'm not convinced that there will a run on OT's in the top 10. I think we can realistically get one of the top guys. I don't like going OT here, but I need to protect Manning and by LT is a FA next year. If I could land one of the top two QB's I'd do it in a heartbeat, but its not going to happen. My biggest needs are at QB and OT, and I'm taking one.

2. Running back. I'll take the best guy there.

3. Linebacker

Winner.

OnTheWarpath15
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
hmmm..perfect offseason

Pioli chokes on a hotdog making Cassel jealous. Cassel holds out for an apology ("that should have been my hotdog!") to which Pioli, having just coughed up what turned out to be a Wiener schnitzel, responds by firing the copy repair man for 'gross negligence' as it pertains to the strategically placed paper clip only just protruding from the strategically placed Healthy Choice Chicken Alfredo microwaveable tray that - in a true stroke of Piolian genious - was hiding in the trash.

And somewhere on a beach, with his clam diggers rolled up to his knees, Kcjohhny breaks a guitar string and expresses his love of Jesus off-key.

ROFL

suds79
02-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Mine:

Sign Manning to a 3-yr deal

Sign Soliai.

Draft time:

1) Trent Richardson, RB
2) Zebrie Sanders, RT
3) Kevin Zeitler, G
4) FANGUPO!
5) Michael Egnew,
6) Ryan Lindley
7) I dunno

(EDIT: **** me...that's really long. My bad)

Pretty good. Mine is about same or close.

Keep all the resigning you mentioned above. I like the idea of franchising Bowe. Keep him hungry.

Draft:

Either take Richardson at 11 or if we can trade down, grab Poe in the late 1st. Get more draft picks, be set at NT for years. Would have a great rotation. Then just be sure to draft a RB in the middle of the draft.

Also have to get a good TE in the draft. Cannot assume Tony will be 100% and stay healthy.

O.city
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
The only caveat being that it needs to be reasonably doable.

And remember, this is a 'perfect' offseason, so there is no priority of occurences, so don't feel the need to list them in order of your preferred events. Additionally, remember that you're the owner and GM; so I don't care what Clark will spend, or what Pioli would do. It's your toy.

Mine:

Sign Manning to a 3-yr deal giving him a marginal signing bonus but a fairly significant year 1 salary. Manning isn't a guy that will shut it down in years 2 and 3 if he's paid the bulk of his K in year 1 so he's a perfect use of our 'rollover' funds. You could give him a hefty guaranteed base salary (10 millionish) and a signing bonus of another 10 million(ish), thus guaranteeing him $20 million without knowing if he can throw; I don't think any other teams are willing to do that. You'll end up with a cap hit just shy of $14 million that way.

Sign Soliai. He, OTOH, may be a guy that would shut it down if he gets paid large up front, so we'll want to go 'conventional' with his deal. Vince Wilfork signed a record deal for NTs and his cap hit has been fairly reasonable for the last 2 years, with the best source I could find having it at about 5 million last year. Kyle Williams just re-signed for 6/39. Ngata has blown the scale a little bit in his new deal, but even it only has cap figures of about $7 million and $10.5 million in the first 2 seasons, with increases of about $2 million/season thereafter. The good news is that my memory is that Hali's contract was frontloaded, so it could easily offset that increase. But let's be pessimistic and say that Soliai gets a 'ngata' deal (unlikely, IMO) and we get an $8 million cap hit.

So you have cap hits of 8, 8.5, 14 and 8; about $38.5 million. Some say we get $63 million to play with, others are suggesting $37 million. In either event, at $37 million, money could be moved, contracts re-structured in a manner to make those 4 players fit, IMO. And if we have $60 some - well it's all the easier.

Draft time:

1) Trent Richardson, RB -- Dunno what we'll have in Charles and Richardson's skills as a pass-blocker/WR out of the backfield could help Manning out a ton. Our offense would be the best in the league at that point, IMO.

2) Zebrie Sanders, RT -- I think many concerns that LTs will go very high in the draft are well founded; I expect a run on LTs. The good news is that Sanders doesn't appear to be well suited to play LT and isn't quite a first round talent anyway. He appears to be very likely to fall to us, a capable pass-blocker (though not elite; hence his status as a likely RT) and a very good run-blocker.

3) Kevin Zeitler, G -- I know, I'm gonna get 'truefanned' to death here; but I don't think expecting Foles in the 3rd is reasonable. The ability to turn over 2/5 of our O-line as well as having a ton of young talent on that line is just too much to pass up. This kid is a road-grader and could give us just a little bit more of a nasty streak inside with Asomoah.

4) FANGUPO! -- Okay, with Soliai, we don't really need him; I just like his name. Honestly I'd love to see Ryan Broles, WR with this pick. If he comes back healthy, he's absolutely electric. He'd be what McCluster was supposed to be in the slot. He probably wouldn't be to full speed this season but we honestly wouldn't need him there just yet. He'd be a fantastic long-term weapon to get this late.

5) Michael Egnew, TE -- His senior bowl performances swayed me. Big kid, great hands. I think he can be taught to be at least a Dallas Clark level blocker. He'd be a great insurance policy for Moeaki and he's always been healthy as a horse.

6) Ryan Lindley -- Why not? I think he has some talent to work with.

7) I dunno - go find me a raw linebacker that can crack some skulls on special teams. Or a corner with some tools that might be an adequate dime-back some day. How 'bout Asa Jackson? Short but with speed to burn. D'Anton Lynn would also work here; taller but not as athletic. Probably wouldn't have lasted as long had he not gotten hurt last year. Probably a nice value pick here, but not as much upside as Jackson, IMO.

What say you? How would your perfect offseason go?

(EDIT: **** me...that's really long. My bad)

This sounds pretty good.

Accept in round 4, instead of Fangaupu I'd take the best wr still available. I want Joe Adams but he's likely gone by round 3 atleast.

Dayze
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Winning the lottery. I've given it a lot of thought.....and winning the lotto would definitely be the best off season ever.

tredadda
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
1. Resign Carr
2. Resign Bowe
3. Sign Soliai
4. Sign Nicks, or Grubbs
5. Sign the law firm
5. Trade out of the first this year, hopefully get a first rounder next year for it.
6. Draft BPA at RT in RD 2
7. Draft BPA in a position of need throughout rest of draft.

Next year use two 1st rounders and whatever else necessary to trade up an take best QB in draft.

Titty Meat
02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Name Matt Cassel the starter

Sign Stanford Routt

Draft a Right Tackle

Sign a few guys who won't be in the league in 2 years to provide leadership.

OnTheWarpath15
02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Scott Pioli is fired and we hire a GM that realizes what happens for 3 hours on gameday matters infinitely more than candy wrappers, using the color copier and leaving the lights on past 5:00.

Oh, and use our eleventy-billion in cap room to re-sign Bowe and Carr.

Or, we could downgrade and save a few bucks.

:facepalm:

Bowser
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Win Powerball.

DeezNutz
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Or, we could downgrade and save a few bucks.

Clark:

http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5d/5dcbd53f_clap.gif

Bowser
02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Dammit, Dayze

Chiefnj2
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Ideal:
Tag Bowe.
Sign Carr, Soliai, Meyers, Randy Moss.

Trade this years 1st, Bowe, next years 1st to the Rams for RGIII.

Find a RT somewhere in the 2nd - 7th.

jd1020
02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Ideal:
Tag Bowe.

Because the Rams can afford Bowe.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Ideal:
Tag Bowe.

Randy Moss? GTFO

LMAO

Dayze
02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Dammit, Dayze

:D great minds....

ClevelandBronco
02-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Chiefs hire Romeo as HC.

Rasputin
02-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Pioli is fired
Cassel is cut or traded
re-sign Bowe and Carr
sign Soliai
round 1 - draft RGIII
rounds 2-7 select the BPA
championship!

When you say cut, do you mean with a sharp double edge sword like off with his head, or do you mean a dull axe that manes him in the back that leaves an AIDs infection?

Just want some clarification on this to see if it would be perfect or not.

Psyko Tek
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
I get tooo many bj's

RealSNR
02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Matt Cassel discovers his inner light and moves to a Himalayan retreat in Tibet, forever swearing off earthly pleasures like professional football.

Munson
02-21-2012, 12:47 AM
When you say cut, do you mean with a sharp double edge sword like off with his head, or do you mean a dull axe that manes him in the back that leaves an AIDs infection?

Just want some clarification on this to see if it would be perfect or not.

His right arm will be cut off with a rusty spoon, which will naturally leave an AIDS infection.

Rasputin
02-21-2012, 01:01 AM
His right arm will be cut off with a rusty spoon, which will naturally leave an AIDS infection.

Ok, thanks. That should work then. Perfect. :clap:

Bump
02-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Pioli/Cassel murder/suicide

BossChief
02-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Cut/Trade Cassel, like I said before.

Sign Bowe to a long term deal and franchise Carr.

Trade Carr for a first and Dorsey for a second/third and move both picks plus our #11 to move up to take RG3 and STOP REPEATING PAST MISTAKES AND LOOKING LIKE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL BECAUSE WE HAVENT A CLUE OF HOW TO REALLY GET A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

Im fine with Pioli as long as he moves on from Cassel sooner rather than later and drafts his replacement in the first fucking round.

He has done well with the rest of his moves (withholding judgement on the Carr situation until further information is available)

tredadda
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Cut/Trade Cassel, like I said before.

Sign Bowe to a long term deal and franchise Carr.

Trade Carr for a first and Dorsey for a second/third and move both picks plus our #11 to move up to take RG3 and STOP REPEATING PAST MISTAKES AND LOOKING LIKE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL BECAUSE WE HAVENT A CLUE OF HOW TO REALLY GET A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.

Im fine with Pioli as long as he moves on from Cassel sooner rather than later and drafts his replacement in the first ****ing round.

He has done well with the rest of his moves (withholding judgement on the Carr situation until further information is available)

I would not mind that scenario at all. I would hate to lose Carr, but I would do it if it meant getting RGIII. I just wonder if we could get a first for Carr though.

Austin Ed
02-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Sign Evan Mathis rather than Grubbs or Nicks. Less expensive and coming into his own. Solid SEC pedigree. Sign Solial. Draft R. Reiff in first. Draft best available ILB in second. Resign Bowe. Franchise if necessary. Sign the Law Firm. Draft Jared Crick in third. Sign Orton. Give Stanzi some reps. Sign Brady Quinn as veteran backup and competition for Orton/Stanzi. Cut Cassell.