PDA

View Full Version : Life How do you view food? Fuel or Enjoyment?

scho63
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
This weekend while out eating a nice steak, having a martini, and a good dessert I was thinking of how others view food.

What I mean is that my lifelong friends view food only as something to eat when they are hungry. They have a very narrow palate and continue to eat the same 5-6 items for the last 40 years; pizza, hamburgers, chicken parm, french fries, white bread and subs. Most of the time they overcook everything they eat.

Along with my lust for travel, I thoroughly enjoy food from every corner of the World; Korean BBQ, Thai, Chinese both Dim Sum and Szechuan, Japanese Sushi, Habachi and Bento boxes, German, Russian/Polish, Italian, Peruvian Chicken, El Salvador/Guatemala Papusas, Mexican Ceviche, Lebanese and Afghanastan Kabob, Greek Gyro, Middle Eastern Shawarmas, Vietnamese Pho, Jamaican Jerk, every single vegetable like Brussel Sprouts, Bok Choy, and Beets and most well made desserts especially Carrot Cake along with a nice after dinner drink like Tuaca, Grand Marnier, or Tia Maria.

Are people either in one camp or the other as a "foodie" or a "fuelie"?

:p

Bowser
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm a foodie. Wish I wasn't.

luv
02-20-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm a foodie becoming a feulie. But even though I'm changing the way I view food, I don't see why you can't enjoy the food you're fueling yourself with.

Phobia
02-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Both. I love amazing food.

Stewie
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
I was a fuelie, then a foodie, now I'm a fatty.

Hammock Parties
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
A bit of both.

Moderation is key.

Bearcat
02-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Both, I guess. I tend to buy a lot of the same kind of stuff when I shop for groceries, mostly out of laziness, even though I've gotten into cooking more in the past year or two.

OTOH, I love all kinds of food... I generally don't order the same thing at restaurants, and trying local favorites and food that's new to me is one of the things I look forward to the most when traveling.

KC is a great place for foodies.

luv
02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Both, I guess. I tend to buy a lot of the same kind of stuff when I shop for groceries, mostly out of laziness, even though I've gotten into cooking more in the past year or two.

OTOH, I love all kinds of food... I generally don't order the same thing at restaurants, and trying local favorites and food that's new to me is one of the things I look forward to the most when traveling.

KC is a great place for foodies.

I'll be in Memphis in two weeks. :D

D-Train6906
02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Definately a fuelie. Currently trying to get to under 10% bodyfat so my diet only consists of chicken, cottage cheese, almonds, wheat bread, most of the time ;)

Nzoner
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
The best way I can answer is referring to my Vegas trips,lots of great places to eat but I've yet to experience one because I'm not there to eat.It's one of the reasons I always stay at Falmingo,$5 Subway across the street and/or use my comps for a breakfast buffet.

Secondly,I believe dining out is way overrated as I generally feel I do better when preparing whatever at home,especially steaks,chili and spaghetti.

scho63
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
I was a fuelie, then a foodie, now I'm a fatty.

I was never a fuelie....:D

rageeumr
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I do a lot of endurance sports, so I pay a lot of attention to what I eat. I try to eat a lot of complex carbs and lean proteins.

When I do indulge, I typically don't branch out very much. I eat a lot of reward burgers. I love me some cheeseburgers.

So I guess fuelie?

Predarat
02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Im a foodie for sure, always have been always will be. If you didn't know me and saw me you could easily guess that I am a foodie.

Imon Yourside
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Both. I love amazing food.

That's it! /thread

lcarus
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I eat a lot of crap food, so when I get a really good meal I just appreciate it that much more. Same thing with the Chiefs I guess. They're so often crappy that when the day comes when they win a Super Bowl, if that ever happens, it will be that much sweeter.

tooge
02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
when I wanna drop ten pounds, like before a warm weather vacation, I'm a total fuelie. Only use it to feed the machine. The other 300 days a year i'm a dedicated foodie, hence the ten extra pounds i need to lose. btw, i love all the stuff you mentioned.

WV
02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Foodie, but I try to do things in moderation.

Rasputin
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Pizza is like sex / Laz

mikeyis4dcats.
02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll be in Memphis in two weeks. :D

Don't listen to the others....go to Interstate BBQ.

Iowanian
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I eat because I have to and usually feel worse for a while after I do.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Definitely for fuel. One meal a day but I eat something enjoyable but make sure its loaded down with veggies.

JoeyChuckles
02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I honestly don't enjoy food all that much. Sometimes it tastes good and all.

I tend to take the same view on food that most people take on sleep. It's nice to have, but not a necessity. Just enough to survive.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Both but like HF I usually eat once a day... sometimes twice because I don't get hungry that much. I've literally forgotten to eat before then feel weak or shakey the next day. Stupid I know.

I guess this actually makes me a fuelie doesn't it. Ok then I'm that heh.

Reaper16
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
For enjoyment. I pretty much live to taste things.

hometeam
02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a BEYOND picky roomate, I mean this kid eats his food with just salt. Any flavoring and hes out. Oh, something that doesnt come on a school lunch menu? Must be sick.

I feel so so SO sorry for him. He is missing out on one of the greatest enjoyments in life, the love of FOOD.

Your brain is wired for it. Dont fight it.

NewChief
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm both. I tend to live, day to day, as a fuelie. I fast pretty often, eating only supper. My "maintenance" meals tend to be pretty spare, predominantly some protein.

As a result, though, I eat what I want when I'm actually eating something worthy. I absolutely love food and eating. I cook something pretty awesome for the family pretty much every night. When we go out to eat, I eat the most exotic shit I can off the menu. When the wife and I plan vacations, we spend hours and hours and hours researching where we're going to eat. We plan entire vacations just to eat food (Santa Fe).

Because I love eating so much, I've found the feast/famine mentality works well for me. If I'm eating 3-squares a day, all 3 of those meals are going to be overindulged. If I am sparse with 2 meals, treating them as fuel, it frees up calories, time, and energy into making and eating one awesome meal a day.

trndobrd
02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I've always appreciated good and creative cooking of high quality food.

Given the choice between BBQ from Gates or a McRib, beef from Herford House or Spangles, chicken from Redrock or KFC, a cherry pie from Carriage Crossing or Hostess, I'll go with the former in each and every case.

I have learned that more expensive doesn't equate to better, but people who take pride in their cooking and restaurant almost always does. Eating with good company is also important.

MOhillbilly
02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Imma fat kid in a fat kids body. Though I rarely eat grains and refined sugars these days.

RJ
02-20-2012, 10:10 PM
I am a foodie but at the same time I have cut red meat down to about twice a month while upping my fiber intake to 25+ grams a day. In other words, I am a foodie who is getting older and recognizing there are consequences to eating whatever I want whenever I want.

I should have smoked turkey perfected by the end of the coming summer.

blaise
02-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I like to cook different things, but it's really the act of cooking I like better than the actual eating. I like cooking for other people more than myself. Mostly I'm a fuelie, I guess. My friend used to say, "I eat to live, I don't live to eat." That's closer to how I feel. I eat beans and rice or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a lot of my meals.

BIG_DADDY
02-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm both. I tend to live, day to day, as a fuelie. I fast pretty often, eating only supper. My "maintenance" meals tend to be pretty spare, predominantly some protein.

As a result, though, I eat what I want when I'm actually eating something worthy. I absolutely love food and eating. I cook something pretty awesome for the family pretty much every night. When we go out to eat, I eat the most exotic shit I can off the menu. When the wife and I plan vacations, we spend hours and hours and hours researching where we're going to eat. We plan entire vacations just to eat food (Santa Fe).

Because I love eating so much, I've found the feast/famine mentality works well for me. If I'm eating 3-squares a day, all 3 of those meals are going to be overindulged. If I am sparse with 2 meals, treating them as fuel, it frees up calories, time, and energy into making and eating one awesome meal a day.

That is a more eloquent way of saying fuelie first and foodie second. I think I am just going to roll with that. I do really love super high end quality food as well though. Did Kobe NY Steaks with a white truffle blue cheese butter topping for example this weekend.