PDA

View Full Version : Money Entry-Level College Graduate Job in KC

DBoweShow
02-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Graduating this May, so I was wondering if you guys know of any companies around the KC area that usually hire recent college grads, or would be a good place to start a career. My major is Business Management, so it's a pretty broad major.

Rain Man
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM
What type of work do you want to do with your business management degree?

Saul Good
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Try State Street or Farmers Insurance HelpPoint.

DBoweShow
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm really just looking for any opportunity right now. But I've talked with Farmers Insurance Group at my college's career fair last week, and they are hiring people in Olathe. But any type of work really that hires for entry level college grads.

Saul Good
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm really just looking for any opportunity right now. But I've talked with Farmers Insurance Group at my college's career fair last week, and they are hiring people in Olathe. But any type of work really that hires for entry level college grads.

The Olathe location is their HelpPoint. I know a lot of people who got there starts there. It's a pretty good job for an entry level position. What's nice is that they spend like 6 weeks strictly training you right off the bat, so they have an investment in your success.

Thig Lyfe
02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Chiefs should have a GM position opening up in about a year.

saphojunkie
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Chiefs should have a GM position opening up in about a year.

Yeah...what's your stance on candy wrappers?

DBoweShow
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm sure i could handle a few wrappers around the facility. Of course, I wouldn't want to make that my top priority. What I would give to be a professional sports team GM.

DBoweShow
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
The Olathe location is their HelpPoint. I know a lot of people who got there starts there. It's a pretty good job for an entry level position. What's nice is that they spend like 6 weeks strictly training you right off the bat, so they have an investment in your success.

Thanks for your input. It sounds like a decent starting position. And they handle a lot of their promotions from within, so that is definitely a plus.

Iowanian
02-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I can definitely tell you how to F up the chance at a job based on the interviews I'm conducting this week.

You should start by showing them that you're serious about wanting a job, and doing things like focusing on your skills and background when asked about it. Your potential employer doesn't really gaf about your girlfriend and how pussy whipped you are....do you want the job or don't you....

DBoweShow
02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
I can definitely tell you how to F up the chance at a job based on the interviews I'm conducting this week.

You should start by showing them that you're serious about wanting a job, and doing things like focusing on your skills and background when asked about it. Your potential employer doesn't really gaf about your girlfriend and how pussy whipped you are....do you want the job or don't you....

So as an interviewer, do you guys look for work experience as apposed to what you were involved with while in college. Because throughout college, I worked full and part-time jobs, so I wasn't very involved in school activities.

DaKCMan AP
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Should have gone into Engineering..

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
So as an interviewer, do you guys look for work experience as apposed to what you were involved with while in college. Because throughout college, I worked full and part-time jobs, so I wasn't very involved in school activities.

It doesn't matter what you do. It matters how you spin it.

Walk into every interview using the S-T-A-R method (situation-task-action-result). You do that, you're already 50 notches ahead of the competition.

Brock
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
My advice is to stop looking for companies that are hiring and start thinking about what you really want to do and pursue that.

Garcia Bronco
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
'60 Seconds and You're Hired'

Get it and read it.

Chief_For_Life58
02-23-2012, 10:19 PM
My advice is to stop looking for companies that are hiring and start thinking about what you really want to do and pursue that.

this

suzzer99
02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
When we were in our early 20s, DST was about the only place hiring. Are they still around?

Bump
02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
you will be able to find tons of marketing firms on careerbuilder that will hire people like YOU on the spot!

DBoweShow
02-24-2012, 12:44 AM
you will be able to find tons of marketing firms on careerbuilder that will hire people like YOU on the spot!

Exactly what do you mean by people like "YOU"? haha Just wondering.

Bump
02-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Exactly what do you mean by people like "YOU"? haha Just wondering.

lol, YOU meaning anybody. Those things are a huge scam, beware.

Fairplay
02-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Tell them you want 50k a year or you're walking.

Phobia
02-24-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm hiring. Do you know the difference between a hammer and channel locks?

|Zach|
02-24-2012, 02:20 AM

Yup

cookster50
02-24-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm hiring. Do you know the difference between a hammer and channel locks?
Hammer is what he did to your wife, channel locks is what you will do to him.....

Dartgod
02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

I can see their building out my window.

Iowanian
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Personally, I don't care about clubs or if you're in phi gamma don'tgiveadamnda. I do care if you demonstrate good personal communication, the desire to work, at least basic knowledge of your field. I do care if your attitude indicates that you're driven, that you won't require a lot of babysitting and that you'll fit into my work environment.

All things being equal in skill sets, I obviously want someone with experience, particularly experience that expands or compliments existing skill sets in our organization. Internships with people I know come 2nd because I can call them, internships are better than no experience, degree in appropriate field is better than nothing.

In short, be qualified, and demonstrate that you want to work. I don't care about the current location of your girlfriend and how long that will be for you to drive every friday.

bevischief
02-26-2012, 12:36 PM
FO for either the Chiefs or the Royals...

kcchiefsus
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
When we were in our early 20s, DST was about the only place hiring. Are they still around?

Yeah, but they don't pay worth shit. I would recommend Cerner for an entry level job, they offer pretty competitive salaries compared to a lot of other local companies from what I hear.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm always looking for a jerk -offer.

Nickel D
02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Can you accurately throw a football to a target 30-plus yards downfield? Do you have an innate fear of going into the fetal position? Are you willing to state on your resume that you've been a back-up QB on the Patriots' roster?

Well, there ya go...