PDA

View Full Version : Computers Facebook users! Wanna test something for me?

AustinChief
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
This is very very very RAW at this point but basically it reads all your Facebook LIKES and then maps the mappable ones(the ones without addresses get tossed) on a Google map. It also has a different icon for restaurants and one for bars...

http://www.linkperk.com/likemap/clikemap.php

Depends on how many likes you have, but expect it to take 3-120 seconds to load. I need to add a "loading" gif at some point.

Feel free to add suggestions here if you think of anything cool!

02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Wow, I don't like very much. LMAO

AustinChief
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Wow, I don't like very much. LMAO

yeah me neither... so it worked for you?

It's funny, because I like so much in KC and Austin.. the blue dot which is the geographic centerpoint of my likes.. is in a field north of Dallas! :D

Goldmember
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Pretty cool! How do I "unlike" something? I want to unlike a company that didn't hire me. :#

smittysbar
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Worked, but didn't think it was all that.

AustinChief
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Pretty cool! How do I "unlike" something? I want to unlike a company that didn't hire me. :#

You have to do that in Facebook.. my app is just a mapping deal.

To unlike something, go to the Facebook page of the thing and on the BOTTOM LEFT you should see an UNLIKE link.

Now that you mention it, I guess I could add a /like button to the popup... since a LIKE button also allows you to click to unlike, it should work... hmmm. Let me see what I can do.

AustinChief
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Worked, but didn't think it was all that.

ha, yeah it isn't ground breaking... but of course this is just proof of concept at this point.

The code is going to be used later for reporting tools for business that are clients of mine and use some special software like a QR CODE specials thing... then they can go into their control panel and see a map of their customers likes.

For example, if you own a bar, you run a special that forces users to LIKE your bar and get something.. then later you can go to the report and see a map of what other bars/businesses your customers tend to like in your area. Just one of many demographic reports.. but someone may find it useful.

mesmith31
02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
A buddy of mine has a startup in Des Moines that works with bars and restaurants providing demographic data. It's called Sharewhere (www.sharewhere.com). It allows users create events and send out invitations. The mobile app lets them check in like Foursquare. Bars and restaurants dig is because they know ahead of time what people are planning and can offer them deals based on their future plans.

Rain Man
02-25-2012, 11:37 AM
What am I supposed to do? I just get a map.

Is this mapping stuff I like? Maybe that's my problem. I don't do very many 'likes' on Facebook.

kstater
02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
I just get a blank screen.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Savvy business owners can use this demographic data to realize "sooner" rather than "later" why their business may have a leak factor to other similar entities in the area. Ultimately, business owners can figure out how to create shifts/changes in their business model to keep customers. If applied right, this can help those entities that rely on walk in business to move "at the speed of business" a little faster.