PDA

View Full Version : Reiff a tyrannosaur of a left tackle

Okie_Apparition
02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Iowa’s Reiff has short arms for a left tackle

Posted by Evan Silva on February 25, 2012, 10:34 AM EST

Arm length is a prominent measurable for offensive linemen because it provides a glimpse of “reach” in pass protection. While arm length is not necessarily indicative of NFL success, it is a concern for teams as they attempt to project linemen to tackle or guard in the pros.

Riley Reiff of Iowa is widely viewed as the second best left tackle prospect in the 2012 draft. But he measured in at the Combine with 33 1/4-inch arms, which is considered short for an NFL left tackle.

Some left tackles have overcome short arms, most notably Joe Thomas of the Browns. In terms of teams’ college-to-pro projections, however, Reiff may now be listed on some boards as a right tackle only, or even a guard.

Reiff is 6-foot-5 and 313 pounds. He started 37 career games at Iowa. 29 came at left tackle, seven at left guard, and one at right tackle.

O.city
02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Right Tackle of the future?

BossChief
02-26-2012, 02:39 AM
I've called him a right tackle for over a year.

Bulaga > Reiff

Reiff will go before Bulaga due to increased need at the position and lacking FA presence at the position and so few OTs that are starting quality in the draft as well.

Saccopoo
02-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Bulaga > Reiff

Reiff will go before Bulaga due to increased need at the position and lacking FA presence at the position and so few OTs that are starting quality in the draft as well.

Yes you have. And it's a good call.

BossChief
02-27-2012, 02:41 AM
I also said way before the mainstream that Bulaga would be a right tackle in the NFL, too.

I'm just an Iowa homer, though.

By the way, McNutt will probably be a mid 2nd rounder now.

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Bulaga > Reiff

I don't think Bulaga is clearly better than Reiff. Reiff has a much higher athletic ceiling.

That being said, both of them are best suited to play on the right in the NFL. You've been dead-on about that all along.

veist
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Let me know which of these players Reiff has shorter arms than: Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Jason Peters, Jordan Gross and Bryan Bulaga. He doesn't have "plus" length on his arms but they also are not "short." Additionally Reiff's strength is as a pass blocker so you may actually expose him more on the right side where you will ask him to more involved in run blocking.

Joe Thomas has 32.5", Jake Long has 32.825" arms, Jason Peters has 33.125" arms, Jordan Gross and Bryan Bulaga 33.25" arms. Reiff's are .... 33.25".

BossChief
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
He is a John Tait clone if I ever saw one.

That's not a bad thing, either. John Tait was pretty good....but would you draft him 11th overall?