PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:Crennel talks about draft’s top three QBs

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Crennel talks about draft’s top three QBs (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/25/3452037/crennel-talks-about-drafts-top.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Making a clean sweep of the three players widely considered as the top quarterbacks available in the draft, the Chiefs interviewed Stanford’s Andrew Luck and Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill in addition to Baylor’s Robert Griffin III at the NFL scouting combine.

“All three of those guys were very impressive in the interviews,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said Saturday. “Generally, when you talk to top-notch quarterbacks, you’re impressed with the interview.”

The Chiefs chances of drafting either Luck or Griffin, the Heisman Trophy winner, are virtually none. Luck is likely to go to Indianapolis with the first pick with Griffin to go shortly afterward.

Tannehill could be available to the Chiefs when they make the 11th pick.

“In this business you always talk to everybody,” Crennel said. “You never know what’s going to happen, how things are going to develop. Some (teams) decide they want to try to get out of that pick. Everybody might not put the same value on a player that we put on a player.”

Crennel seemed most impressed with Griffin. He said the two formed an immediate bond because they each come from military families.

“You only have 15 minutes to talk to guys,” Crennel said. “That goes pretty quickly when you’re talking to the entertaining young man like he is. He is very sharp. He’s well-thought out. He gives great answers. We could have talked to him for an hour. But in the 15 minutes we had, we came away very impressed with him.

“Not only was he sharp on football but he was sharp on life. He’s an Army brat like I was an Army brat, there’s a special connection there. I’m going to give him a little bit more headway than I’m going to give some other guys.”

Asked about Griffin the player, Crennel said, “I haven’t really studied him but I know that he’s got a tremendously strong arm, he has tremendously fast feet and good speed and it looks like he makes good decisions. He can put the ball where the receivers have a chance to make the play.

“He’s not always looking to run. He’s kind of looking to throw but he’ll run when he has to. He’s a winner. When you win, that says something about your ability and your decision making, particularly at that position.”

The Chiefs will also have veteran options at quarterback as they look to find somebody who can provide competition for starter Matt Cassel. Crennel indicated the Chiefs could make a play for Peyton Manning if he’s released by the Colts.

“I’m not supposed to talk about anyone else’s players,” Crennel said. “He’s still a player with Indianapolis. But with a talent like that, I would be crazy not to consider it if he were available. I’ll leave it at that.”

Miami’s Chad Henne, a potential unrestricted free agent, played last season for new Chiefs offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

“Because of his relationship with Daboll, I think that would be a consideration,” Crennel said. “To say right now that would be the case, I’m not ready to do that.”

Then there’s Kyle Orton, the veteran quarterback who finished the season with the Chiefs. Orton may wish to see what kind of offer he can attract as an unrestricted free agent but the Chiefs have said they’re open to taking him back.

No matter whether it’s through the draft or free agency, the Chiefs will add at least one quarterback. They have only Cassel and Ricky Stanzi under contract.

“You have to look at all of it and see how it plays out,” Crennel said. “You have to juggle some ball and see what happens.”

Lewis recovering from surgery

Starting safety Kendrick Lewis had shoulder surgery immediately following the season. Crennel indicated the Chiefs would be cautious with Lewis in off-season practices but were hopeful he would be ready for the start of the regular season.

“Those are tough to come back from,” Crennel said. “It happened in the last game and then he had it done right after the season. He’s going to have to recover from that. He’s recovering. They say it’s going good. But that’s one of those that we’re have to be careful with it and make sure it’s back before we get him out there full speed.”

RippedmyFlesh
02-26-2012, 03:21 AM
My fantasy
Romeo after meeting RG3 face to face has GOT to have him.
My only hope is Pioli may do what Romeo wants but seemingly wouldn't for Haley.
If he defers to Romeo on the football side the way he did with BB in NE it could work here.
I am not comparing Romeo to BB just the working relationship which he obviously didn't have with Haley.

crazycoffey
02-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Get him or not, my personal prediction is this;

RGIII is going to live up to the Tebow hype, and surpass it. When it's all said and done, barring unforeseeable injuries and such, RGIII is heads and tails above Tebow. I mean even the hardest hardcore Denver and Tebow fans will be able to agree.

also, Tannehill will be a better QB than either Luck or RGIII. It's just the way it works out. The most obvious choice is not always the best choice, in fact many times it's the opposite....

milkman
02-26-2012, 05:50 AM

RGIII is going to live up to the Tebow hype, and surpass it. When it's all said and done, barring unforeseeable injuries and such, RGIII is heads and tails above Tebow. I mean even the hardest hardcore Denver and Tebow fans will be able to agree.

also, Tannehill will be a better QB than either Luck or RGIII. It's just the way it works out. The most obvious choice is not always the best choice, in fact many times it's the opposite....

Wow, CC, I think you're a pretty smart guy, but this is one seriously stupid post.

RGIII is a quarterback.

Tim TeBow is trying to learn to be a QB, and has a long way to go if he ever gets there.

Of course RGII is and will be heads and tails above TeBow, and we're talking Giant heads (Peyton Manning sized and larger) and huge tails.

RealSNR
02-26-2012, 06:28 AM

also, Tannehill will be a better QB than either Luck or RGIII. It's just the way it works out. The most obvious choice is not always the best choice, in fact many times it's the opposite....Mmmmm k.

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Pioli stuck with Haley even though rumors are he wanted to dump him at 2010's season end
He's got a time table & Cassel has reached the little hand & big hand on 12

Hammock Parties
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Wow, CC, I think you're a pretty smart guy

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lru7xiDBHw1qfu4tho1_400.jpg

crazycoffey
02-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Wow, CC, I think you're a pretty smart guy, but this is one seriously stupid post.

RGIII is a quarterback.

Tim TeBow is trying to learn to be a QB, and has a long way to go if he ever gets there.

Of course RGII is and will be heads and tails above TeBow, and we're talking Giant heads (Peyton Manning sized and larger) and huge tails.

Well, let me try to expand or qualify my statement.

Tebow got all kinds of attention and hype, nationally and in Denver. Denver fans screamed for him to play OVER Orton and Quinn. Elway is saying the "right things" that Tebow will still be the starter. That's a shit load of Hype for someone that you, me and most of CP knows to be nothing more than hype. I'm saying RGII will get and deserve that kind of hype, in my opinion, where ever he goes. It was only meant to be a general statement, not necessarily a strong one either. Hell, I'm not going to be surprised if RGII goes before Luck.

The other comment about Tannehill, is one of those "its funny the way things work out, Brady got picked in the 7th round, Leaf sucked, sometimes the underdog wins" kind of way. And in that spirit, I'm very interested in Tannehill's performance at the combine. How he measures to the other QBs. I guess that was today, but I've not seen any footage yet.

oh, and I have the feeling I'm happy right now that I have the dumbshit on ignore.....