PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
According to Pro Football Weekly, the Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr and are expected to "go all in for him" when the market opens.
Carr is a big, physical corner with experience in both man and zone schemes, and he'd be a sizable upgrade on Terence Newman at left cornerback. The Cowboys can release Newman after March 13 and "designate" him a post-June 1 cut, saving over $6 million in cap space. Carr will command a pretty penny, but the secondary was Dallas' most glaring weakness for much of last season. Related: Cowboys
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4893/brandon-carr

Setsuna
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Bahahahahahahaha Pioli is a duck.

KCrockaholic
Bye Carr. We loved ya man.

BigMeatballDave
Tag Carr now.

Bowser
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Tag Carr now.

Yes.

Hammock Parties
Nope, Pioli is definitely going to re-sign him. That is totally the plan. ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

BigMeatballDave
Bye Carr. We loved ya man.

He's gone. I've come to terms with it.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
called it

Cephalic Trauma
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
According to Pro Football Weekly, the Cowboys "covet" free agent CB Brandon Carr and are expected to "go all in for him" when the market opens.
Carr is a big, physical corner with experience in both man and zone schemes, and he'd be a sizable upgrade on Terence Newman at left cornerback. The Cowboys can release Newman after March 13 and "designate" him a post-June 1 cut, saving over $6 million in cap space. Carr will command a pretty penny, but the secondary was Dallas' most glaring weakness for much of last season. Related: Cowboys
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4893/brandon-carr

He's likely to be coveted by many teams. Why don't we franchise him and actively shop him? Imagine the haul a guy like Carr could bring in.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
He's likely to be coveted by many teams. Why don't we franchise him and actively shop him? Imagine the haul a guy like Carr could bring in.

Because Pioli is smarter than you. Shut up and suck his huge boston cock.

KCrockaholic
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
But this is exactly why we should've worked a long term deal with Bowe, and then franchised Carr. But no. We're too fucking stupid to do that.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Nope, Pioli is definitely going to re-sign him. That is totally the plan. ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

LOL

I did my crying when they signed Routt. I'm over it.

You cannot tie up $100m between 2 CBs.

KurtCobain
02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Because we're franshising bowe?
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22
02-26-2012, 02:05 PM
if he even has a decent season in a media darling market like Dallas under a Rob Ryan defense he will easily make the Pro Bowl and become recognized probably more so than Flowers on the Chiefs

that is sad.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2012, 02:05 PM
LOL

I did my crying when they signed Routt. I'm over it.

You cannot tie up $100m between 2 CBs.

You're not tying up $100 million.

You're tying up less than half that in guaranteed money. Flowers got 22 million guaranteed.

milkman
02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
if he even has a decent season in a media darling market like Dallas under a Rob Ryan defense he will easily make the Pro Bowl and become recognized probably more so than Flowers on the Chiefs

that is sad.

I believe that Flowers has reached his ceiling, while Carr is still ascending.

When it's all said and done, with good coaching Carr will be the better cover corner, and was for the last half of last year.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM

that is sad.

IDK carr on hakeem nicks and desean jackson could get ugly for him too.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM

When it's all said and done, with good coaching Carr will be the better cover corner, and was for the last half of last year.

Carr was on the number 1 wr about 15% of the time lets see him on the number 1 100% of the time before we judge.

BossChief
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm 100% ok with letting a starting corner walk IF we spend his money on Peyton Manning.

Also, Pioli has been working on Re-signing Bowe for a year now.

Remember when the supposed blow up between Hey and Bowe happened and the report was that Bowe went to Pioli and Pioli said to lay off the players he is trying to re-sign...

I wonder if Bowe is waiting to see what hallens at QB, too.

I'm sure he and Tony G had many conversations about quarterbacks and aykff wins/superbowls.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

You're tying up less than half that in guaranteed money. Flowers got 22 million guaranteed.

Fine. Whatever. I'm over it.

I love Carr, but we aren't winning shit without a real QB anyway.

tk13
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
It stinks but it's the reality of things. No team ever keeps 100% of its guys. I'm sure Carr's agent knew what he'd get in the open market.

The positive is... you don't build teams around CB's. You just don't. A legitimate Super Bowl defense is not built around that position.

ghak99
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
If we're really letting him walk, I hope a bidding war breaks out and Jerry makes him filthy rich.

Marcellus
Amazing how its always the teams fault if we don't resign somebody even though we haven't let 1 top tier FA leave in years and years.

Dallas is going to over pay Carr and plenty of teams would be willing to give Bowe huge $. We shouldnt pay both of them insane money when we still have other holes to fill.

I dont think Bowe or Carr ever had any intentions of signing an extension and were going to push for FA or the tag the whole time.

But that is Pioli's fault. OK.

milkman
Carr was on the number 1 wr about 15% of the time lets see him on the number 1 100% of the time before we judge.

Not judging.

Just expressing the opinion that the recognition that Carr as a Cowboy would get would be earned.

Cephalic Trauma
02-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Because we're franshising bowe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Overpay Bowe. I don't give a rat's ass. We have a unique opportunity to hold the cards and drive up the price for a very good, proven corner. I'm curious as to what other people think would be reasonable compensation for a guy like that.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
It stinks but it's the reality of things. No team ever keeps 100% of its guys. I'm sure Carr's agent knew what he'd get in the open market.

The positive is... you don't build teams around CB's. You just don't. A legitimate Super Bowl defense is not built around that position.

Yep.

My feeling now is Carr is gonna get a sick deal from Dallas.

Time to move on.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
IMO the drop off between carr and routt is very little.

Dallas Chief
02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
This has been all the buzz on the Dallas sports talk scene since the Cowboys shit the bed at the end of the season. I despise the Cowboys, but I don't blame them for lusting after Carr. Their overpayed overhyped secondary was dreadful last year.

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM

I agree. I think he is overrated by Chiefs fans because he is a Chief. He is damn good but not great. He and Flowers made a good trandem, being the #1 guy is whole different story.

That being said I want him back but not at $10MM a year.

Cephalic Trauma
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM

What are the chances Carr becomes Stanford Routt 2.0?

BossChief
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Not sure I'd go that far, but I bet Carr gets paid over twice as much and the difference between the two isn't as much as some here may think.

MMXcalibur
02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Eat shit, Jerry Jones.

BigMeatballDave

Maybe, but you are forgetting Routt is 4 yrs older than Carr. That's huge.

BossChief
I agree. I think he is overrated by Chiefs fans because he is a Chief. He is damn good but not great. He and Flowers made a good trandem, being the #1 guy is whole different story.

He will get more than 10-yr

My educated guess is a hair over 12/yr

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 02:24 PM

How are we overrating him if other teams are interested?

Buckweath
If Carr truly leaves for another team, Pioli better sign the the likes of Manning, Soliai, Nicks, well some of them at least or I really won't find it funny. :harumph:

Okie_Apparition
He'll get to watch himself on the huge screen 8 times a year

Ultra Peanut
N6nbwaVz_ZI

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe, but you are forgetting Routt is 4 yrs older than Carr. That's huge.

That is the only big difference in my opinion. Over the length of the contract Routt signed, not a big deal.

We simply can't have 2 high paid CB's and a top tier Safety over a very large stretch of time.

We still have Albert to pay as well as a need for several more OL and a NT.

Oh yea, and a stud QB worth paying some $ to.

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
How are we overrating him if other teams are interested?

The drop off between him and Routt is being overstated. You can unsderstand that right?

Carr is younger so he will command more $ and a longer deal.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Flowers-5 years 50M 22M Guaranteed
Berry-6 years 60m 34m Guaranteed
Kendrick Lewis- is gonna be a UFA in 2013(after that season) (He keeps playing like he is gonna have to pay him)

Lets say Carr gets 5 years 55m 25mGuaranteed

In 2 years when this team is in cap hell you will be the first one crying.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Kendrick Lewis is not going to get jack shit.

Marcellus
Flowers-5 years 50M 22M Guaranteed
Berry-6 years 60m 34m Guaranteed
Kendrick Lewis- is gonna be a UFA in 2013 (He keeps playing like he is gonna have to pay him)

Lets say Carr gets 5 years 55m 25mGuaranteed

In 2 years when this team is in cap hell you be the first one crying.

Crying that Pioli didn't do his job.

Okie_Apparition
So Cassel is no longer a 63 million dollar QB

Brock
02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
How much money do you want tied up in the secondary? Nobody does that.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

You make sooo many reasonable comments its ridiculous. Seriously.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-26-2012, 02:31 PM
How much money do you want tied up in the secondary? Nobody does that.

Who fucking cares ! We are better off WITH Carr than without.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Who ****ing cares ! We are better off WITH Carr than without.

You don't pay a number 2 corner 12m a year sorry you just don't.

Brock
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Who fucking cares ! We are better off WITH Carr than without.

Not if it keeps you from adding talent at more important positions.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
That is the only big difference in my opinion. Over the length of the contract Routt signed, not a big deal.

We simply can't have 2 high paid CB's and a top tier Safety over a very large stretch of time.

We still have Albert to pay as well as a need for several more OL and a NT.

Oh yea, and a stud QB worth paying some $ to.

No shit. Read my other posts. The point of my post you quoted was Carr is 4 yrs younger and still improving. Routt won't get any better.

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
No shit. Read my other posts. The point of my post you quoted was Carr is 4 yrs younger and still improving. Routt won't get any better.

I think Carr actually took a step backwards last year. He was better in 2010.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Routt with crennel and Emmitt Thomas will get better.

BossChief
02-26-2012, 02:41 PM
1) Carr was still improving as a #2 corner. Those days are over, time to face the big boys.

2) if somebody else comes in here and says something like "Carr isn't a #2 corner, teams just put their best receiver on flowers because he is an easier matchup" my head might just explode. The two were targeted equally even though Flowers faced the top guy week in and week out.

3) paying 12 million per year, or even 11 is not smart business. Especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise quarterback.

4) Carrs play improved a lot once Romeo started dialing up some blitzes and applying more pressure. The two are connected and further shows that a good pass rush is far more important that having overspent in the secondary. Just ask the eagles.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Wrong.

milkman
02-26-2012, 03:08 PM
1) Carr was still improving as a #2 corner. Those days are over, time to face the big boys.

2) if somebody else comes in here and says something like "Carr isn't a #2 corner, teams just put their best receiver on flowers because he is an easier matchup" my head might just explode. The two were targeted equally even though Flowers faced the top guy week in and week out.

3) paying 12 million per year, or even 11 is not smart business. Especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise quarterback.

4) Carrs play improved a lot once Romeo started dialing up some blitzes and applying more pressure. The two are connected and further shows that a good pass rush is far more important that having overspent in the secondary. Just ask the eagles.

You may not believe #2, but isn't us that said that, it was Ryan Fitzpatrick that said that when discussing how the Bills planned to attack the Cheifs secondary.

That's a plan devised by Chan Gailey, and Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in football.

It seems to me that Flowers had one of his worst games of the season against the Bills.

Carr is gone, I've accepted that.
And Routt is not nearly the dropoff that others believe.

But I'm not going to sit here and downplay how good Carr is, or was, simply because he's not likely going to be a Chief any longer any more than I was going to overvalue what Tony Gonzales was simply because he was a Chief.

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Wrong.

I know stats can be decieving etc and I couldnt find the end of season numbers for 2011 but I did find through wk 13.

Anyway these numbers back up what I thought watching this season.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/troycupp/2010.png

2011 through Wk 13 he didn't even crack the top 12. Notice who ranks higher both seasons BTW. His replacement.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/troycupp/2011.png

hometeam
02-26-2012, 03:14 PM
This does not surprise me. Cowboys wont be the only team in the bidding war.

</post>
02-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Just overpay for Bowe. It makes more sense in terms of value to overpay our WR then tag and trade Carr, than it does to franchise Bowe and let Carr walk.

beach tribe
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Before Flowers got hurt, he was 2nd only to Revis as a CB in this league, and flowers is head, and shoulders ahead of Carr in run support. I'd put anything on flowers having the better season next year.
I don't see him topped out at all. Carr was better for the last half of last season, but he still was ranked lower in Burn rate.
Losing Carr sucks, but we got the better corner for less money.

philfree
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Wonder what JJ would give in the way of draft picks for Carr?

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Routt with crennel and Emmitt Thomas will get better.

Dude. He's 29. He's reached his ceiling. That doesn't mean I think he sucks.

milkman
02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Dude. He's 29. He's reached his ceiling. That doesn't mean I think he sucks.

I don't that's necessarily true.

Good coaching can bring out more in players, even at this stage, than they've shown before, and ET is one of the best in the business.

notorious
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Tag him and bag h....err trade him.

Simplicity
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Peyton Manning.

tredadda
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Wonder what JJ would give in the way of draft picks for Carr?

1. The franchise amount if we franchise tag Carr

2. Nothing. As he will be available for free in FA

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't that's necessarily true.

Good coaching can bring out more in players, even at this stage, than they've shown before, and ET is one of the best in the business.

But Flowers has reached his?

Simplicity
02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
But Flowers has reached his?

What are you trying to question?

02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Welp, he's gone.

tredadda
02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
The smart move is to sign Bowe as his value on the market is less in comparison to Carr. With us having Routt, Carr is more expendable for us, but of more value to other teams like the Cowboys. We could try a sign and trade with Dallas though if that is possible. I would then trade Carr to Dallas (maybe a first this year and second next year). Then give Stl our high 1st and Dallas's high 1st. Then give them our second this year and next along with our 2013 1st and Dallas's 2013 2nd for the #2 pick. STL cleans up with two firsts this year (both in top 15), two 2nds this year and two 1sts and 2nds next year as well. We get the #2 pick this year and then our draft from round 3 on. Then we get rounds 2 on next year, so we lose very few picks.

02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
The smart move is to sign Bowe as his value on the market is less in comparison to Carr. With us having Routt, Carr is more expendable for us, but of more value to other teams like the Cowboys. We could try a sign and trade with Dallas though if that is possible. I would then trade Carr to Dallas (maybe a first this year and second next year). Then give Stl our high 1st and Dallas's high 1st. Then give them our second this year and next along with our 2013 1st and Dallas's 2013 2nd for the #2 pick. STL cleans up with two firsts this year (both in top 15), two 2nds this year and two 1sts and 2nds next year as well. We get the #2 pick this year and then our draft from round 3 on. Then we get rounds 2 on next year, so we lose very few picks.

Tell me again why Carr would agree to that.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
He'd be a 2 time Pro Bowler already with a Star on his helmet.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 04:04 PM

I think he means Tag and Trade

Carr really wouldn't have a choice

02-26-2012, 04:05 PM
I think he means Tag and Trade

Carr really wouldn't have a choice

I figured that is probably what he meant but I don't believe the chiefs are going to tag him.

tredadda
02-26-2012, 04:06 PM

That is why I said if it is possible. I am throwing ideas out there that allow us to trade up, without trading the farm for it.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I figured that is probably what he meant but I don't believe the chiefs are going to tag him.
maybe they won't ... dunno

but with all the WR's on the market they just might

Tag Carr and let Bowe walk

We then have a rather large pool of WR's to look at in FA. Maybe Bowe will even come back if he doesn't get the Larry Fitzgerald money he's apparently looking for.

The tag is about getting draft picks back for a guy who might leave imo.

a top CB is worth more in FA this year and will get us more in return.

tredadda
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
maybe they won't ... dunno

but with all the WR's on the market they just might

Tag Carr and let Bowe walk

We then have a rather large pool of WR's to look at in FA. Maybe Bowe will even come back if he doesn't get the Larry Fitzgerald money he's apparently looking for.

The tag is about getting draft picks back for a guy who might leave imo.

a top CB is worth more in FA this year and will get us more in return.

Exactly, Carr is far more valuable to other teams than he is to us, especially now that we have Routt. That is why we tag him and try to get a reasonable return for him. I would settle for Dallas's #1 this year and #2 next year. They would be far more prone to give that up than multiple #1 picks for him.

philfree
02-26-2012, 04:13 PM

We have to show Bowe the money and get him signed so we can tag Carr.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
We have to show Bowe the money and get him signed so we can tag Carr.
not if Bowe is asking for Fitzgerald mone, we don't

tons of veteran WR's in FA ... let Bowe see what he can get in comparison

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM

I really hope Bowe isn't asking for that kind of deal. He's not gonna get it.

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Carl turned the #126th pick in the 2004 draft into a 1st & two 3
Scott what can you turn the #140 in the 2008 draft into

philfree
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM

We've got the money to sign Bowe though so I'd rather keep him. He won't get a Fitz contract IMO and his agent has to know this. The next week or so is going to be pretty interesting.

jjchieffan
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there something written into the new cba to prevent teams from tagging a player just to hold him hostage for draft picks? Since we signed Routt, it could be argued that we are not acting in good faith to try to retain him.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
We've got the money to sign Bowe though so I'd rather keep him. He won't get a Fitz contract IMO and his agent has to know this. The next week or so is going to be pretty interesting.
we don't know what Bowe is asking for

I'm incline to believe that he is asking for huge money since we have been so aggressive in keeping our own free agents so far.

Hell, we even overpaid for a kicker.

prhom
02-26-2012, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't mind this scenario at all. I think it would be easier to get another team to give up a draft pick for him than for Bowe. Other quality receivers should be available that wouldn't cost a draft pick so I don't think we'd be as successful trading him. Putting us in play for RGIII would be worth losing a few picks and Carr.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 04:33 PM
LOL at the tag and trade carr. Chiefs tag him and he doesn't sign the deal till after the draft you are ****ed.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
LOL at the tag and trade carr. Chiefs tag him and he doesn't sign the deal till after the draft you are ****ed.

oh go fuck yourself, you irritating little prick

you can always make up some way for shit to go wrong ... it doesn't mean it will.

we'd have a full month to work on the tag/trade

i suppose we could just not try anything

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
oh go **** yourself, you irritating little prick

you can always make up some way for shit to go wrong ... it doesn't mean it will.

we'd have a full month to work on the tag/trade

i suppose we could just not try anything

If he doesn't sign it you cant talk to any team about trading him.

philfree

You don't make it to where you can't deal the guy. It would also be in Carrs best interest to seek a trade and a long term deal instead of just trying to screw the Chiefs because they put the tag on him. That just seems silly.

Okie_Apparition
RGIII could refuse to play for the Chiefs just as easily
& Carr has waited a long time to cash in & buy a bar in Florida

philfree
02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
If he doesn't sign it you cant talk to any team about trading him.

I don't believe that's right.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't believe that's right.

Yea i was wrong about this my bad.

Titty Meat
02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Carr is gone folks get over it.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Yep

BossChief
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM

For real.

There really isn't a scenario that he plays for the Chiefs next year.

Not one that would make sense for both sides, anyway.

TEX
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM

But...but...but...Fucktard Pioli AND Crennel said just the other day they reached out to CARR and would like to see him stay in KC...:rolleyes:

Brianfo
02-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Retard post of the year.

Brianfo
02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Before Flowers got hurt, he was 2nd only to Revis as a CB in this league, and flowers is head, and shoulders ahead of Carr in run support. I'd put anything on flowers having the better season next year.
I don't see him topped out at all. Carr was better for the last half of last season, but he still was ranked lower in Burn rate.
Losing Carr sucks, but we got the better corner for less money.

Voice of reason. Stop it!

Mr_Tomahawk
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Tony Pauline ‏ @TonyPauline
Teams in Indianapolis fully Brandon Carr will end up a member of the Dallas Cowboys via free agency..

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
For real.

There really isn't a scenario that he plays for the Chiefs next year.

Not one that would make sense for both sides, anyway.

Especially since Routt is getting $11m this yr.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Congrats to Carr for hitting the mother lode in Free Agency.

O.city
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I bet Carr gets 12 or 13 per year in big D.

-King-
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Watch Jerry give him 5 years 65 mil.

lewdog
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Well I still fucking hate the Cowboys so that is good.

seaofred
02-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Especially since Routt is getting $11m this yr.

Not from KC. He's only getting $6.5 from the Chiefs.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Not from KC. He's only getting $6.5 from the Chiefs.

I got that 11m figure from kffl

FAX
02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
What is worse? Having players that nobody wants? Or, having too many players you can no longer afford because they're so good?

I would be very sad if we lose Carr. I would hate it even more if he went to an AFCW team. My next level of hate would be the Cowgirls, though. Then, maybe the Steelers and after that, the Patriots.

FAX

O.city
02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
If Carr gets that type of money, it was a good move letting him go.

tk13
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Carr and his agent know what's up. And they probably have all along.

And to his credit... Pioli has always been pretty good at knowing what other teams are doing. Of course that's probably because their phones are tapped, but what are you going to do.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 09:16 PM

I hate to say it, but Pioli may have made a smart move signing Routt.

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
What is worse? Having players that nobody wants? Or, having too many players you can no longer afford because they're so good?

I would be very sad if we lose Carr. I would hate it even more if he went to an AFCW team. My next level of hate would be the Cowgirls, though. Then, maybe the Steelers and after that, the Patriots.

FAX

I don't mind losing players to other teams because we can't pay them, but I think good teams get draft picks for those players when they leave. It seems like we're going to let Carr go and use our franchise tag to save a few million dollars in negotiations with Bowe.

FAX
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Carr strikes me as a guy who has a good head on his shoulders. He'll view this as a business decision first and foremost - which is likely why he hasn't re-upped with the Chiefs, yet.

If he's smart (and I believe him to be), he'll play for the team that offers him the most cash up front. The only leverage that Dr. Evil has is the franchise tag and that's why the negotiations with Bowe are probably intense right about now.

FAX

FAX
02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't mind losing players to other teams because we can't pay them, but I think good teams get draft picks for those players when they leave. It seems like we're going to let Carr go and use our franchise tag to save a few million dollars in negotiations with Bowe.

It's kind of non-traditional for us, though, Mr. prhom (did I spell that right?). We normally have like maybe 2 or 3 really good, young players and a bunch of mediocre guys. As we improve, it will get a little more difficult to pay full market price for everybody we'd like to keep. I guess good teams face that problem all the time ... I'm not very used to it, though.

FAX

notorious
02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Carr will INSTANTLY be considered a top 5 cornerback before he plays his first game in a Cowboy's uniform.

ESPN will blow him up to Deion Sanders stature just because he has a star on his helmet.

I am already getting sick to my stomach.

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Carr strikes me as a guy who has a good head on his shoulders. He'll view this as a business decision first and foremost - which is likely why he hasn't re-upped with the Chiefs, yet.

If he's smart (and I believe him to be), he'll play for the team that offers him the most cash up front. The only leverage that Dr. Evil has is the franchise tag and that's why the negotiations with Bowe are probably intense right about now.

FAX

He'd be dumb not to treat this as a business deal. He's very early in his career and history should tell him that he's not going to win a championship or get paid ridiculous money playing for KC. Playing on the same team as friends and for a coach you like only go so far.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
He'd be dumb not to treat this as a business deal. He's very early in his career and history should tell him that he's not going to win a championship or get paid ridiculous money playing for KC. Playing on the same team as friends and for a coach you like only go so far.

In a sport where you never know which down could be your last.....I don't blame players one bit for chasing the money. Good for him.

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
In a sport where you never know which down could be your last.....I don't blame players one bit for chasing the money. Good for him.

Zactly, veterans that have made their millions can afford to restructure and play where they like, but he's just about to be set for life. I'll enjoy watching him play and having everyone think the cowboys found him like Jared Allen was with the vikes.

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:37 PM

This is also why I feel kinda bad for Matt Forte. What kind of deal can he get now that he was injured? The bears didn't pay him and now he may never get his payday.

tredadda
02-26-2012, 09:38 PM
This is also why I feel kinda bad for Matt Forte. What kind of deal can he get now that he was injured? The bears didn't pay him and now he may never get his payday.

I still think he gets paid. He is too critical to their offense for them to let him walk.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Seems like a stAnd up guy, he even played in the Pro Bowl. Stupid IMO, but classy.

GoHuge
02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't mind losing players to other teams because we can't pay them, but I think good teams get draft picks for those players when they leave. It seems like we're going to let Carr go and use our franchise tag to save a few million dollars in negotiations with Bowe.This statement is riddled with full retard. You can't expect to get compensation on every guy that reaches free agency because he is a good player. I understand wanting to, but this philosophy is a first class ticket to cap hell. You would have to sign every guy to an extension before they reach free agency. The "spirit" of the franchise tag is not to keep a player held hostage from free agency so a team can try and get compensation for him. The NFLPA would NEVER agree to a system like that. Carr has earned the right to get top dollar for his services. If he wants to make the best business decision for himself (even if that means leaving KC) all we can do is wish him well and thank him for his service.

Bowe is more valuable to this franchise than Brandon Carr........especially after signing Routt. Carr is a fringe top 10 player at his position and Bowe had 1159 receiving yards with Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, and Kyle Orton throwing him the fucking ball!! JFC I don't get the debate on this topic guys......

TEX
02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
But this is exactly why we should've worked a long term deal with Bowe, and then franchised Carr. But no. We're too ****ing stupid to do that.

Yep. It's the Patriot Way... :rolleyes:

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I still think he gets paid. He is too critical to their offense for them to let him walk.

I hope so, but wouldn't you be a little scared to offer him a big new contract without know if he could play at the same level?

FAX
02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
This statement is riddled with full retard. You can't expect to get compensation on every guy that reaches free agency because he is a good player. I understand wanting to, but this philosophy is a first class ticket to cap hell. You would have to sign every guy to an extension before they reach free agency. The "spirit" of the franchise tag is not to keep a player held hostage from free agency so a team can try and get compensation for him. The NFLPA would NEVER agree to a system like that. Carr has earned the right to get top dollar for his services. If he wants to make the best business decision for himself (even if that means leaving KC) all we can do is wish him well and thank him for his service.

Bowe is more valuable to this franchise than Brandon Carr........especially after signing Routt. Carr is a fringe top 10 player at his position and Bowe had 1159 receiving yards with Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, and Kyle Orton throwing him the ****ing ball!! JFC I don't get the debate on this topic guys......

Keeping the franchise tag powder dry is the smart thing to do, though. You have to give it up for Pioli for that. Right now, neither Bowe nor Carr know who might get the tag. If either one of their agents blinks, it's all over and we can keep them both. That is my hope, anyhow.

The way I look at it, if Bowe is truly a #1 receiver (in Pioli's squinty eyes), we would have to pay him - or somebody very much like him - #1 money. That's just a given in the league. Which means, of course, that we should be able to strike a reasonable deal (assuming that Bowe even wants to stay with the Chiefs), then use the tag on Carr. If we can't, Routt is our hole card.

The question right now is whether or not Bowe wants to continue playing with a quarterback the caliber of Cassel ... and that's a real good question.

FAX

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:58 PM
This statement is riddled with full retard. You can't expect to get compensation on every guy that reaches free agency because he is a good player. I understand wanting to, but this philosophy is a first class ticket to cap hell. You would have to sign every guy to an extension before they reach free agency. The "spirit" of the franchise tag is not to keep a player held hostage from free agency so a team can try and get compensation for him. The NFLPA would NEVER agree to a system like that. Carr has earned the right to get top dollar for his services. If he wants to make the best business decision for himself (even if that means leaving KC) all we can do is wish him well and thank him for his service.

Bowe is more valuable to this franchise than Brandon Carr........especially after signing Routt. Carr is a fringe top 10 player at his position and Bowe had 1159 receiving yards with Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, and Kyle Orton throwing him the ****ing ball!! JFC I don't get the debate on this topic guys......

I realize that you can't always get that value, but in this case we could have and may still. The point here is that Bowe is worth more to us than anyone else, and we should never have to use the tag on him. Just come to an agreement and make the deal. Put the tag on Carr because we can't keep him and get a pick for losing him. I'm not saying use the tag on Carr and cut Bowe. That would be full retard.

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Retard post of the year.

You can call the post retarded or offer up some type of factual information to back up your claim I am wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion but so am I and I know what I saw this year and distinctly remember seeing things that made me wonder what was up with his play.

Did I say he sucked and I didn't want him back? Did I say he was a bad CB? No I said I think he took a step back from 2010 and well there is statistical analysis to back it up.

But just call it a retarded post because you are so objective.

Funny thing is look back at the beginning of the season on threads here, and you would see people with the same concerns.

WhiteWhale
02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Obviously.

This is the whole reason for Routt. If KC gets into a bidding war with Dallas, he'll end up the highest paid CB in the league. Dallas has been eyeing him all offseason like that seedy guy checking out your girl.

rtmike
02-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Pioli & Crennel knew all along they weren't gonna be able to resign Carr.

By giving us lip service they won't look so bad when they say we tried to sign him but we just couldn't match what he was being offered in FA.

ThaVirus
02-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I won't be too sad to see Carr leave. I love him as a player, but Routt is pretty good in press coverage. I'm expecting our pass rush to be pretty effective this coming season between Hali and Houston (who won't be splitting valuable snaps with Studebaker).

I only hope that Lewis is actually pretty decent and he wasn't just a product of Carr being such a beast. If Kendrick is as good as I think he is (which is a pretty good center fielder), we won't really see the drop off from Carr to Routt. If all else fails, Eric Berry will come back to ease my fears...

beach tribe
02-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I hate to say it, but Pioli may have made a smart move signing Routt.

Why do you hate to say it?

FAX
02-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I won't be too sad to see Carr leave. I love him as a player, but Routt is pretty good in press coverage. I'm expecting our pass rush to be pretty effective this coming season between Hali and Houston (who won't be splitting valuable snaps with Studebaker).

I only hope that Lewis is actually pretty decent and he wasn't just a product of Carr being such a beast. If Kendrick is as good as I think he is (which is a pretty good center fielder), we won't really see the drop off from Carr to Routt. If all else fails, Eric Berry will come back to ease my fears...

I think we'll see a drop-off in that position. I have a hard time believing that Routt will play as well or as consistently as Carr will this season. I've seen nothing but improvement in Carr since he came on board. Plus, he's a warrior. He will play through pain.

However, your points regarding Houston, Lewis, and Berry are well taken, Mr. ThaVirus. I agree with you. Given those changes, it's perfectly reasonable to anticipate overall improvement in the secondary due to a more effective rush and better safety play.

FAX

Ebolapox
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
stanford routt =/= ray crockett

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Why do you hate to say it?

Pioli hate :)

GoHuge
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Pioli & Crennel knew all along they weren't gonna be able to resign Carr.

By giving us lip service they won't look so bad when they say we tried to sign him but we just couldn't match what he was being offered in FA.And that isn't necessarily lip service..........just a fact.

I think with Carr gone and Routt replacing him and Berry being back our secondary will be overall much improved over this year. Berry changes EVERYTHING and this will be a non-topic come game 1. We'll see Carr wasn't all that and given our many other defencies giving him more than Routt money doesn't make any sense for this team going forward.

Quesadilla Joe
02-27-2012, 01:02 AM

How? We could give Bowe and Carr both 20 million this year and still have 25 million in cap room.

jspchief
02-27-2012, 01:03 AM
The unfortunate thing is it appears Routt's contract is structered in a way that it could be terminated after a single year and be both cheap and cap friendly.

If the Chiefs were able to tag Carr, they would be in a solid position to get 1 year with both CBs before making a decision on which to keep.

It could have come together nicely if they were able to get Bowe signed.

MMXcalibur
02-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Still coming to terms that Carr isn't going to be in KC. At least we didn't get completely dicked over and left at the altar thanks to the signing of Routt. Makes me want to puke that Carr will only now be getting the deserved attention because he has the pentagram on the side of his helmet instead of an arrowhead....no matter, can't control the media fellating the Cowboys every chance they get.

From here on, I'll take whatever we get out of this mess as gravy. If Pioli manages to sign Bowe, tag Carr, and then trade him for some huge picks....that'll be an awesome, if unexpected, move. For me though, Carr is gone, Routt's in, and my focus has shifted to fixing the abortion that is the offense. I suppose the good news is this: tagging Bowe only helps our offense.

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-27-2012, 05:17 AM
How? We could give Bowe and Carr both 20 million this year and still have 25 million in cap room.

Idk how when the chiefs are only 30m under the cap.

BoneKrusher
02-27-2012, 07:08 AM
But this is exactly why we should've worked a long term deal with Bowe, and then franchised Carr. But no. We're too ****ing stupid to do that.

i agree but Pioli cant see the forest for the trees.

Dragonocho
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
But...but...but...****tard Pioli AND Crennel said just the other day they reached out to CARR and would like to see him stay in KC...:rolleyes:

And there will be competition at QB. So what could possibly go wrong?