PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Fired up the smoker

tooge
02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I started a thread about smoking trout a month ago or so. Mostly I got advice like "don't get too high", etc. Anyhow, I made a brine with water, salt, a bit of brown sugar, and maple syrup. I scored these trout, brined them for 12 hours, then smoked them at 210 degrees for 4 hours with pear and apple wood. Did em on my 22 inch WSM. They turned out incredible. Thought I'd share. Here is starting and finished.

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Those 3 fuckers in front are looking at me. Could you please remove the eyeballs next time?

tooge
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
they just sort of "melt" out.

sodcat
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Damn, that looks good!

tooge
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Damn, that looks good!

It is. Obviously, you have to like smoked fish, but the brining simply put this over the top. I pulled some of the meat and served it with cream cheese, capers, and crackers before dinner last night. Big hit.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Those 3 ****ers in front are looking at me. Could you please remove the eyeballs next time?

LMAO

That sounds like my wife. I made her go out on one of my fishing trips last week down in Belize and she wasn't all that crazy about it when a fish hit the bottom of the boat, after landing it. The bitch of that trip was, she ended up catching the biggest fish. She wasn't invited on the second trip. :)

Bwana
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I started a thread about smoking trout a month ago or so. Mostly I got advice like "don't get too high", etc. Anyhow, I made a brine with water, salt, a bit of brown sugar, and maple syrup. I scored these trout, brined them for 12 hours, then smoked them at 210 degrees for 4 hours with pear and apple wood. Did em on my 22 inch WSM. They turned out incredible. Thought I'd share. Here is starting and finished.

Looks great! I need to fire up my smoker this weeked, snow, or not. It's been to long.

Great Expectations
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
That does look good, I mostly participate in catch and release fishing. I might keep one or two next time to smoke.

Donger
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
That looks delicious. I have to learn how to grill fresh-caught trout soon. Any tips on preparation and method (non-smoked, propane grill)?

tooge
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
well Donger, the main reason I smoke the trout is that I'm not a big fan of the taste of trout otherwise. Smoked they are delicious. I've deep fried them and they are just OK if you score them about every quarter inch or so in order to break down the little bones. I've tried them various other ways grilled, with lemon in foil, etc,etc etc. Smoked is the way to go with trout. If propane is all you have, then either put a smoke packet on the bricks or over the element to generate smoke, or try brining them prior to grilling them. My brine was as follows:
1 gal water
1 cup canning salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger

mlyonsd
02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
well Donger, the main reason I smoke the trout is that I'm not a big fan of the taste of trout otherwise. Smoked they are delicious. I've deep fried them and they are just OK if you score them about every quarter inch or so in order to break down the little bones. I've tried them various other ways grilled, with lemon in foil, etc,etc etc. Smoked is the way to go with trout. If propane is all you have, then either put a smoke packet on the bricks or over the element to generate smoke, or try brining them prior to grilling them. My brine was as follows:
1 gal water
1 cup canning salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon ground fresh gingerI'd also suggest indirect heat.

Donger
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
1 gal water
1 cup canning salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger

Excellent, thank you. However, the wife despises smoked food. As in, won't eat it.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd also suggest indirect heat.

This

tooge
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Excellent, thank you. However, the wife despises smoked food. As in, won't eat it.

in that case, brine it, grill it, serve it with lemon butter and it will be delicious I'll bet

Bwana
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Invest in a smoker, give wife map, with directions on how get to Taco Bell. :evil:

Phobia
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM

As in, hasn't had anything smoked well.

tooge
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM

I would tend to agree. She probably hates oversmoked food.

Extra Point
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Great job, tooge!

Donger
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM

That's probably accurate.

Phobia
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I bought a pulled pork sandwich at a softball tournament saturday and the moment she scooped onto the bun, I smelled the distinctive smell of crock pot butt. So frustrating when you're expecting something flavored well then you get crap. At least the sauce was nice and managed to cover up most of the nasty.

Renegade
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I smoked my first meat of the season yesterday, a turkey breast. Used cherry wood for the first 3 hours then pecan for the next two. Turned out great. I have been wanting to smoke trout, so that may be next on my list. I am heading to Roaring River in three weeks, so that will be a good thing to do with those stockers. Thanks for the Brine Recipe tooge.