PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports This might be Chipper Jones' final year

pr_capone
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7622056/chipper-jones-see-end-career-near

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- It's the 22nd spring training of his professional lifetime, and off in the distance, Chipper Jones can see the countdown clock ticking.

3 … 2 … 1 … seeya?

As he takes those leisurely spring-training hacks in the batting cage, as he fields ground balls and flips them to first, as he leans back at his locker and absorbs abuse from his teammates for allowing a pre-tee-time interview to last half an hour, he's suddenly savoring every minute -- all of it.

Because this just might be it. This just might be the final spring -- meaning, if we apply our logic-class lessons correctly, also the final season -- of the Braves third baseman's Hall of Fame career.

I know there are a couple of Braves fans on the board that would enjoy this read. Even if you aren't a Braves fan... I figure that if anyone could appreciate what a legend at 3B does for a team... it would be Royal fans.

Chipper is a living legend the did what most players never do... play for a single team through his whole career. Instomatic hall of famer, a top 5 third baseman of all time, and equally as easy a top 5 switch hitter of all time.

#10 will soon be retired in Atl.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Well bye

CoMoChief
02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
He's been one of my favorite players.....and Tim Hudson, kinda coincidence now they play on the same team.

Bewbies
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's an article from today that the sports world in ATL is talking about per Chipper's views on PED's.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/02/27/chipper-takes-shots-at-drug-cheaters-though-he-considered-it/

Enjoy cheering for a good team, my dumbass will be at The Ted July 4th weekend to see my Cubbies get blasted again. :)

Bewbies
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
He's been one of my favorite players.....and Tim Hudson, kinda coincidence now they play on the same team.

I like Hudson a lot, and he actually seems like a really nice guy.

pr_capone
02-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Here's an article from today that the sports world in ATL is talking about per Chipper's views on PED's.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/02/27/chipper-takes-shots-at-drug-cheaters-though-he-considered-it/

Enjoy cheering for a good team, my dumbass will be at The Ted July 4th weekend to see my Cubbies get blasted again. :)

Fuck the cheaters. Chipper is the gold standard of how to play the game for those who played in the steroid era.

As for you being at the Ted... I am jealous. I've been a Braves fan since 93 when I moved to Atlanta and have never had the opportunity to see the guy play. I hope he plays one more season and they come to The K.

If he gets named to the All Star team this year... I will definitely be there for the game and hope to get him to sign something for me.

Bewbies
02-29-2012, 12:13 AM
**** the cheaters. Chipper is the gold standard of how to play the game for those who played in the steroid era.

As for you being at the Ted... I am jealous. I've been a Braves fan since 93 when I moved to Atlanta and have never had the opportunity to see the guy play. I hope he plays one more season and they come to The K.

If he gets named to the All Star team this year... I will definitely be there for the game and hope to get him to sign something for me.

The Ted is a great place to watch a game actually. I go each year when the Cubs are here (unless football has already started), and typically try to get to another couple games.

You should fly down this summer and see the guy play. He's on what's left of his very last leg. :evil:

pr_capone
02-29-2012, 12:27 AM
The Ted is a great place to watch a game actually. I go each year when the Cubs are here (unless football has already started), and typically try to get to another couple games.

You should fly down this summer and see the guy play. He's on what's left of his very last leg. :evil:

I think the guy is gonna be a baseball lifer. I would not be at all surprised if he winds up being the manager of the Braves within the next 10-15 years.

BossChief
02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow, I haven't paid any attention to baseball for 20 years.

Shocked and amazed that dude still plays.

Bewbies
02-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I think the guy is gonna be a baseball lifer. I would not be at all surprised if he winds up being the manager of the Braves within the next 10-15 years.

Maybe, but he has made a shitload of money...

R8RFAN
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Early 90's I worked the daytime shift, I would work all day, eat supper, grab a beer and watch TBS, every night... Since they went on strike, I haven't watched a full game of baseball since...

pr_capone
02-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Early 90's I worked the daytime shift, I would work all day, eat supper, grab a beer and watch TBS, every night... Since they went on strike, I haven't watched a full game of baseball since...

While I understand the sentiment... the large majority of players who were in the league when the strike happened are long retired. The game hasn't changed 95% of the rosters have. Why hold these players accountable for the actions of the previous generation?

R8RFAN
02-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Just lost interest PR, I tried to get it back but I never did...

pr_capone
02-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Just lost interest PR, I tried to get it back but I never did...

Too bad meng... still a good game. Just sucks that the Bravos aren't on TBS anymore. I'm probably going to buy mlb.tv season pass this year. Hoping that they have a sale right before the season like they did last year. IIRC, Premium was like 74.99 for the whole year.

salame
02-29-2012, 05:45 AM
deuces

pr_capone
03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7721523/chipper-jones-atlanta-braves-retire-end-season

He called it. Done after this year. I am feeling emotions and stuff and I don't like it.

Bewbies
03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7721523/chipper-jones-atlanta-braves-retire-end-season

He called it. Done after this year. I am feeling emotions and stuff and I don't like it.

I laughed during his press conference. I was listening to the radio, thanked wife, kids, parents etc no tears. Went all Jerry McGuire on his agent. Then went teenage girl on his teammates.

Lots of folks sad down here today though.

Simply Red
03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
one of my all time favorite stars. All he did was balled.

chefsos
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I just hope he doesn't blow out a knee or something in April. Dude should finish it up on his own terms.

pr_capone
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I would love to see the baseball Gods smile down on Chip and give him a 44hr season to end his career.

/won't happen, I know... but a fella can dream, right?

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
THe only reason I am not going to write some serious smaque here is because PR likes the Braves and quite frankly he is a good guy.

BIG DADDY

Gritting teeth.

pr_capone
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
THe only reason I am not going to write some serious smaque here is because PR likes the Braves and quite frankly he is a good guy.

BIG DADDY

Gritting teeth.

/tips cap

pr_capone
09-13-2012, 12:21 AM
I am loving how he is getting a send off from almost every team he is facing this season.

18 games + playoffs left for Chipper. Please, oh, please let the Braves make a mighty October run to the WS. I would love nothing more than for him to retire with a second WS ring.

NJChiefsFan
09-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I am loving how he is getting a send off from almost every team he is facing this season.

18 games + playoffs left for Chipper. Please, oh, please let the Braves make a mighty October run to the WS. I would love nothing more than for him to retire with a second WS ring.

How was the Mets fans reaction or has that not happened yet? I don't know how I have missed that being that I am in the Mets market. I am going to blame Cassel, the Orioles, and the Rays.

Bump
09-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Jesus Christ, I remember watching him on Ted Turner's channel all the time when I was a kid and I liked baseball.

pr_capone
09-13-2012, 12:50 AM
How was the Mets fans reaction or has that not happened yet? I don't know how I have missed that being that I am in the Mets market. I am going to blame Cassel, the Orioles, and the Rays.

They were actually super cool. In fact, Chipper loves NY and playing the Mets so much he named his son Shea.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cx18BrY47ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NJChiefsFan
09-13-2012, 12:51 AM
They were actually super cool. In fact, Chipper loves NY and playing the Mets so much he named his son Shea.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cx18BrY47ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder if Rocker would name his son Shea...

pr_capone
09-13-2012, 01:05 AM
If Cooperstown were to ever waive the 5 year waiting period to be inducted... it should be for Chipper. Not because I am a Braves fan but because he is easily the best switch hitter and one of the best 3Bman to ever play the game.

PS, Fuck John Rocker. I *LOVED* how his career fell apart after his interview with SI.