PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

duncan_idaho
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I figured it was time to start the new version of this...

2012 Schedule
April 14: Spring Game
Sept. 1: SE Louisiana
Sept. 8: Georgia
Sept. 15: Arizona State
Sept. 22: at South Carolina
Sept. 29: at Central Florida
Oct. 6: Vanderbilt
Oct. 13: Alabama
Oct. 20: OPEN
Oct. 27: Kentucky*101st HOMECOMING*
Nov. 3: at Florida
Nov. 10: at Tennessee
Nov. 17: Syracuse
Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

Still three games to be released here. I'd expect a mid-major in the Sept. 1 game, a FCS team on Sept. 29, and another mid-major on Nov. 17 (to get a November home game on the schedule).

Committed Recruits:
A list of all players committed to Missouri for the 2013 recruiting class.

*** LB Joe Burkett, Jefferson City
*** ATH Aarion Penton, Christian Brothers (St. Louis)
*** ATH Anthony Sherrils, Hogan Prep (Kansas City)
*** OC Alec Abein SLUH (St. Louis)
**** ATH Chase Abbington, Fort Zumwalt South (St. Louis)
*** OL Harneet Gill, Francis Howell (St. Louis)
*** QB Trent Hosick, Staley (Kansas City)
*** WR J'Mon Moore, Elkins (Missouri City, Tx) Soft verbal - still looking around
*** OT Clay Rhodes, Stillwell (Kansas City)
*** DT Antar Thompson, Richmond Heights (St. Louis)
*** LB Eric Beisel, Rockwood Summit (Fenton, MO).
*** DT A.J. Logan, Rock Bridge (Columbia, MO)
*** QB Eddie Printz, Lassiter (Marietta, GA)
*** DE Nate Crawford, West Florida Tech (Pensacola, FL)
*** DE Marcus Loud, Wheatley (Houston, TX)
*** DT Josh Augusta, Peoria (Peoria, IL)
*** TE Jason Reese, Trinity (Euless, Tx)
*** S SHaun Rupert, Carver (Montgomery, AL)
*** S Duron Singleton, Fresno CC (Fresno, California)
NR DE Charles Harris, Liberty Prep (Kansas City, MO)

Season Notes:
New uniforms to be unveiled at the Spring Game on April 14.

I'll try to be good about maintaining this, though I've set a ridiculous standard for myself.

Reerun_KC
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
I will go on record and say 10-1, SEC Champs and BCS Champ game..

That is a cream puff schedule... Should be a great year for MU football...

Losing at FL...

Bambi
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Losing at FL...

Kinda difficult when you only have 9 games scheduled.

kepp
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
We'll lose to Alabama, split the Georgia & South Carolina games, and win the rest. 6-2 in the SEC East.

Saul Good
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Nice that the Kansas fans who have assuerd us. That they don't care about us are the first 2 posts in the thread. Good to see you.

Bearcat
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
How can we make this about KU?

Saul Good
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM

By shifting the conversation to a discussion of teams with the longest losing streaks in BCS conference history. Then KU would be the topic.

Frazod
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Have chicken for lunch?

Bambi
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Nice that the Kansas fans who have assuerd us. That they don't care about us are the first 2 posts in the thread. Good to see you.

You've got about 1,800 posts to catch our thread. Thought we'd help you about a bit.

Then again, you don't here much about Nebraska on this board nowadays.

**edit**

+1,000 (2,800 posts to go)

patteeu
03-01-2012, 10:16 AM
In (like a KU fan)

duncan_idaho
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I feel really confident about landing Hosick, which I think will end up being a pretty big recruiting win.

The kid is just an athletic monster (he recently beat Evan Boehm in a wrestling matchup despite giving up 50 pounds) and huge winner, and he throws better than he has been allowed to show for Staley (which runs 85-90 percent of the time). I've heard some reports he's actually more advanced throwing the ball than Franklin was entering his senior year of HS.

Reerun_KC
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Kinda difficult when you only have 9 games scheduled.

With 2 TBA's...

settle down sparky...

Reerun_KC
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Every since the lose to KSU, Saul has been MIA in the KU threads. He once was a fixture now a memory...

BourbonMan
03-01-2012, 02:07 PM

Losing at FL...

Yep, easy schedule..backdoor to BCS game.

Just like KU did in 2008!!!!!

mnchiefsguy
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Yep, easy schedule..backdoor to BCS game.

Just like KU did in 2008!!!!!

Yeah, the defending national champ and Florida and South Carolina on the road.

Real set of cupcakes scheduled there.

Still, I think the schedule sets up nicely for a very respectable showing in our first SEC season.

|Zach|
03-02-2012, 06:21 AM
In an interesting development it looks as though the Nov 17th game is going to not be against some cupcake but against Syracuse.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/3/2/2838640/syracuse-football-missouri-tigers-2012-non-conference-schedule

|Zach|
03-02-2012, 06:39 AM
It appears the home schedule is as follows: SE Louisiana (Sept. 1), Georgia (Sept. 8), Arizona State (Sept. 15), Vanderbilt (Oct. 6), Alabama (Oct. 13), Kentucky (Oct. 27), Syracuse (Nov. 17).

duncan_idaho
03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Bumped with updated schedule and commitment list.

Frazod
03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
My FIL is a Syracuse alum. I'll have to see if he's interested in a roadtrip to Columbia.

DJ's left nut
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
This doesn't seem relevant and ultimately may not be, but Columbia Regional Airport just announced a flight into Georgia.

Previously the only real commercial flights in and out of there were from Memphis. This may help with a recruit here and there.

tredadda
03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
In an interesting development it looks as though the Nov 17th game is going to not be against some cupcake but against Syracuse.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/3/2/2838640/syracuse-football-missouri-tigers-2012-non-conference-schedule

Syracuse consistently has a losing record in the Big East. If this were a basketball game it would say it is huge, but to think Syracuse is anything tough is a stretch. They were good about 50 years ago, but they were not accepted to the ACC because of their football prowess. They are better than a Division 1 AA school though.

patteeu
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Syracuse is our KU for next year. It's about as cupcake as a major college football program can be at this point. Their fans will be ready for basketball season by the time this game comes around.

duncan_idaho
03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
The Twitter is reporting that Chase Abbington verbally committed to Missouri today.

HUGE pickup. 6-4 stud athlete who projects wherever you want him on the field.

Mizzou_8541
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
The Twitter is reporting that Chase Abbington verbally committed to Missouri today.

4.4 40. Supposedly #2 recruit in MO. Yes please!

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2012, 05:08 PM

HUGE pickup. 6-4 stud athlete who projects wherever you want him on the field.That would be off-the-charts awesome.

Edit: It has been confirmed. Outstanding pickup. In related news, there is a significant amount of smoke that Ramirez may be close to pulling the trigger as well.

|Zach|
03-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Dude is ginormous.

duncan_idaho
03-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Ramirez is at junior day in Arkansas today, but I've seen some of the "smoke" reports, too. MU Bobby over at TigerBoard is usually pretty reliable when it comes to recruiting stuff, and he seems to think Nick Ramirez is close to pulling the trigger to Mizzou.

I know he told Pete Scantlebury a few weeks ago that an Arkansas offer wouldn't change the fact Missouri was his top school.

Captain Obvious
03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Another in-state recruit landed.

Pete Scantlebury ‏ @PeteScantlebury

2013 St. Charles (Mo) Francis Howell OT Harneet Gill texted me to say he committed to #Mizzou.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Early in-state commitment No. 6 is on board. Who will be next?

Some rumblings that it might be Nick Ramirez (from mubobby on TigerBoard, who generally is pretty reliable with recruiting info), which would be a huge statement and add some even more momentum to this class.

The staff appears to be taking a much more aggressive stance with in-state kids. Many more early offers out. Could end up with over 10 kids from MO in this class, compared to the usual 6-8.

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 08:37 AM
The in-state talent has turned out to be a lot deeper than it initially appeared, and we are locking them down early. That's going to be extremely important going forward.

We're also getting some kids out of St. Louis. That's going to be huge in both sports.

I've also heard a rumor that we've shown a lot of interest in some Kansas kid. No offer yet, but it may be coming soon. It would be pretty funny if we ripped the only decent player in the state while Weis has (IIRC) only one commitment total so far.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Georgia-Florida-Bama-S.Carolina-A&M = easy schedule? :huh:

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 09:01 AM

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just doesn't belong...

kchero
03-06-2012, 09:02 AM
One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just doesn't belong...

ROFL

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Who is calling that easy? That's brutal, but I think we can survive it. Bama and Georgia are the two toughest teams, but we get them both at home.

The other three are all tough, but all of those teams have their own issues. We've beat aTm in their own barn 2 years in a row, SC is tough, but they're losing a lot of talent and tend to be up and down.

I think we win 2 or 3 of those 5. If we do, it can still be a great season.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Took Mizzou OT to win last season.

Frazod
03-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Big fucking deal. We pisspounded them the year before. That's two years in a row we've played them on the road and won. Don't see any reason why we can't make it three for three.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Yeah, it did.

Then aTm lost Tannehill, Gray, Fuller and Michael (though I guess Michael will likely be back for next season, but it seems like his knee injury was around the same time as Josey's), and its defense saw considerable losses, too (3/4 of the secondary, 2/3 of the DL).

Throw in a new coach and a new QB, a completely different offense, a new defensive scheme (for a school that had been recruiting 3-4 personnel), and I think aTm is in for a long season.

Pinkel has had tremendous success against Texas A&M and has had no problem in College Station, either. He's 5-1 against the Aggies as coach at Mizzou, and 2-1 at College Station.

The only game Pinkel has lost to A&M included a fumble through the end zone on what should should have been a breakaway score by Will Franklin on the game's second or third play. Changed the game considerably (and Missouri still only lost by 6).

Missouri has been a far superior program to Texas A&M for the past decade. Everyone but the incoming freshman have experienced the environment and experienced winning there.

There are games on the schedule that make me nervous. Texas A&M isn't one of them. It's going to require a miraculous coaching job from Sumlin and co. to make the Aggies dangerous this year.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Big fucking deal. We pisspounded them the year before. That's two years in a row we've played them on the road and won. Don't see any reason why we can't make it three for three.

I don't disagree, especially with them having a new coach, a new QB, and a ridiculous schedule. Doesn't mean it's an easy game.

DJ's left nut
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Brotha, if you haven't learned anything over the last 3 months about 'verbal commitments' then there's nothing I have to teach ya...

I'll care about these kids when they sign the LOI at this point. I know circumstances were a little strange last season, but we lost a goddamn St. Louis kid to a rival SEC school on national signing day, I decided I was done caring about the verbal assurances of 18 year old kids.

(Holy hell, though; kid's an incredible specimen. C'mon Gary! Make him a CB!)

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Brotha, if you haven't learned anything over the last 3 months about 'verbal commitments' then there's nothing I have to teach ya...

I'll care about these kids when they sign the LOI at this point. I know circumstances were a little strange last season, but we lost a goddamn St. Louis kid to a rival SEC school on national signing day, I decided I was done caring about the verbal assurances of 18 year old kids.

No doubt you can't pencil in them in right away. Still, Spring Football has yet to start, so recruiting is about the only news that's popping up for football right now.

Still a huge pickup in terms of momentum for this class. And a big signal to Arkansas, which thought it had him locked up (But then, they tend to think that about everyone).

beer bacon
03-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't disagree, especially with them having a new coach, a new QB, and a ridiculous schedule. Doesn't mean it's an easy game.

It still isn't anything close to playing Bama or @Florida. A&M doesn't scare Mizzou at all.

beer bacon
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
We also picked up a commitment from Harneet Gill yesterday. He is a 6'7 260 pound OL out of St. Louis. That puts us at six commits for the class, all from Missouri. We had five total Missouri commits last class. There is a very good chance we end up with 10-15 commits from the home state this year.

DJ's left nut
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
No doubt you can't pencil in them in right away. Still, Spring Football has yet to start, so recruiting is about the only news that's popping up for football right now.

Still a huge pickup in terms of momentum for this class. And a big signal to Arkansas, which thought it had him locked up (But then, they tend to think that about everyone).

True...there isn't much else to talk about, is there?

Let's try to generate a quarterback controversy.

Maty Mauk should be the starter! 3 years w/ DGB!

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 09:39 AM

It beats not getting them. Besides, last year was a different animal. We recruited kids who wanted to be in the Big XII and play in Texas. Its only natural that we lost a bunch of them with the move.

Now, kids are signing on knowing we're in the SEC. There will be defections, but I don't think there will be nearly as many as last year.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 09:51 AM
True...there isn't much else to talk about, is there?

Let's try to generate a quarterback controversy.

Maty Mauk should be the starter! 3 years w/ DGB!

We could generate a post-Franklin QB controversy.

Maty Mauk (whom I love as a player, which I'm sure is not a surprise to anyone here) vs. Trent Hosick: Who fits better.

With Hosick, you could plug him into the exact offense Missouri runs with Franklin (and I've heard some say Hosick is more advanced as a passer now than Franklin was at the same stage). With Mauk, you have a perfect spread QB who can run and scramble a little, too (Like a taller hybrid of Chase Daniel and Todd Reesing).

Which fits Missouri's offense better for the SEC?

Also, some predictions from me (just my opinion) on some of the other big in-state names. Here's a five-pack:

Nick Ramirez - Mizzou (He's a LSW West kid, very close with Evan Boehm, has stated Mizzou is on top even if Arkansas offers)

Trent Hosick - Mizzou (Was dying for an offer as QB. Got it. WIll take some time, but I think the Tigers land him)

Eric Beisel - Alabama (If they offer officially, I think he's going down south)

Zach Hannon - Mizzou (From a Mizzou family)

Ezequiel Elliott - Too soon to call (EE has offers from: Ohio State, Georgia, Arkansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, among others. He's probably going to get bumped to five stars. But both his parents were Mizzou athletes, and family atmosphere is the most important thing to him. Hopefully, those factors help Mizzou win out).

DJ's left nut
03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
The DGB signing may pay its first dividends with Elliott.

With that signing, the cap really did come off for 'quality' Missouri recruits. There's no longer any reason that a premier Missouri recruit shouldn't strongly consider the hometown squad - we can run with these guys.

Elliott will be an extremely intriguing trail to follow.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
The DGB signing may pay its first dividends with Elliott.

With that signing, the cap really did come off for 'quality' Missouri recruits. There's no longer any reason that a premier Missouri recruit shouldn't strongly consider the hometown squad - we can run with these guys.

Elliott will be an extremely intriguing trail to follow.

I've heard from a buddy in Ohio that Meyer is recruiting him as "the next Percy Harvin." Which seems like a perfect usage of Elliott's skill set.

Kid is a monster in the classroom, too - John Burroughs HS is one of the top schools in the Midwest. He'll be able to go wherever he wants.

DJ's left nut
03-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I've heard from a buddy in Ohio that Meyer is recruiting him as "the next Percy Harvin." Which seems like a perfect usage of Elliott's skill set.

Kid is a monster in the classroom, too - John Burroughs HS is one of the top schools in the Midwest. He'll be able to go wherever he wants.

Not the worst sales pitch, that's for sure.

Though I wonder if "the next Henry Josey" has a similar ring.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Tell him to give Andre "the next Percy Harvin" Debose a call.

Frazod
03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Not the worst sales pitch, that's for sure.

Though I wonder if "the next Henry Josey" has a similar ring.

BTW, have you heard anything new about Josey? Does it look like he'll be able to play next year?

kepp
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
BTW, have you heard anything new about Josey? Does it look like he'll be able to play next year?

I read a transcript from a Pinkel interview (don't have the link) where he basically said, "He's doing great, but don't count on having him this year."

DJ's left nut
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Talk to Idaho about that one.

I'm still of the mind that they'll redshirt him in 2012 and have him ready for 2013. Idaho seems to have closer sources than I do; I mostly just listen to rumblings and have a few alumni co-workers that are pretty significant donors (tens of thousands, but not hundreds...)

Frazod
03-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I read a transcript from a Pinkel interview (don't have the link) where he basically said, "He's doing great, but don't count on having him this year."

I was afraid of that. Bummer.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I was afraid of that. Bummer.

He just had his second knee surgery in the past two weeks or so. So he's a long way away. Note: This was the first ACL replacement. The first surgery to repair the patella.

Smart move is to let him take the whole year off and see where he's at afterwards (and avoid the Danario Alexander/2008 thing, where the guy is gimping around).

Pat Smith has done some amazing things with knees/ACL replacements, though. It would really require a miracle reaction to the ACL graft for Josey to be ready this fall.

Frazod
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
He just had his second knee surgery in the past two weeks or so. So he's a long way away. Note: This was the first ACL replacement. The first surgery to repair the patella.

Smart move is to let him take the whole year off and see where he's at afterwards (and avoid the Danario Alexander/2008 thing, where the guy is gimping around).

Pat Smith has done some amazing things with knees/ACL replacements, though. It would really require a miracle reaction to the ACL graft for Josey to be ready this fall.

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Idaho seems to have closer sources than I do; I mostly just listen to rumblings and have a few alumni co-workers that are pretty significant donors (tens of thousands, but not hundreds...)

My sources aren't what they were when I was at Sporting News, but my Mizzou group is still pretty good. I occasionally get some stuff from friends in the media who can't go "on record" with it (and my sources include a former BoC member). I'm trying to work on a new one... my neighbor's best friend is married to one of the football GAs. If I could get that one open...

PowerMizzou helps a ton with keeping track of the recruiting stuff (not so much the info, but keeping a finger on who's on the offer list/who the big targets are. Much easier to find folks in the free database if you've seen an article about them).

NewChief
03-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Can no longer find the SEC move thread, so I'll post in here. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/arkansas-likely-paired-with-mu-in-sec/article_a768fe81-d942-5b7e-8aca-6a980dd8ee9b.html

Mizzou and Arkansas appear to be on a collision course as future permanent cross-divisional rivals in the Southeastern Conference, a topic believed to have been in discussion at last week's SEC meetings and probably at another one today in New Orleans.

On Tuesday, Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin confirmed by Twitter what South Carolina president Harris Pastides had strongly hinted several days ago: that A&M of the SEC West, initially set as MU's cross-division rival for annual football games, will instead be paired with South Carolina of the SEC East.

"Just had a great conversation with the South Carolina president about our permanent SEC rivalry," Loftin tweeted. "We will make this very special!"

Arkansas and South Carolina had a history as cross-divisional rivals.

With MU assigned to the East and Arkansas in the West, a series between them has seemed appealing and logical all along. The schools are about 300 miles apart.

"Arkansas and Missouri have kind of buddied up because they are neighboring states and wanted to play each other," South Carolina president Harris Pastides told a Columbia, S.C., television station.

However, at Mizzou, officials either didn't know or couldn't confirm the impending pairing.

"I have no idea," football coach Gary Pinkel said. "I talked to Mike (Alden), and every meeting he's ever been in, it's never even been discussed. That's what he said to me. And at the head coaches meeting, that wasn't even discussed. So I don't know anything about it."

Pinkel had been interested in keeping A&M as Mizzou's cross-division rival so that Missouri could keep a closer tie with the state of Texas for football recruiting.

"I don't want to comment," Pinkel said. "Since I don't have any control over it, it doesn't really matter."

By text message, Mizzou spokesman Chad Moller said he'd heard nothing official; MU associate athletics director Mark Alnutt, who works with football scheduling, did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Arkansas spokesman Kevin Trainor, calling on behalf of Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long, also said the school had no official information.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/arkansas-likely-paired-with-mu-in-sec/article_a768fe81-d942-5b7e-8aca-6a980dd8ee9b.html#ixzz1oQoidOFj

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Based on comments from LSU's AD, it sounds like LSU will replace their annual Thanksgiving week game against Arky with A&M, which should create an opportunity for an annual Mizzou-Arky game that week. I'm not certain the SEC will do that though, because usually your last regular season game is against a division team.

It will be interesting to see Mizzou's recruiting shift over the next year or two. We will still get a handful from Texas every year even without an annual game against A&M, but I expect we will start digging into Georgia and Florida heavily, with some poaching from Big Ten states.

I think we are also seeing the early signs of the SEC move with in-state kids. It is a pretty compelling pitch to tell a kid and his parents that he can play in the best conference in the nation and also stay home so his family and friends can watch him play. We may lock down the state starting this season.

duncan_idaho
03-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Can no longer find the SEC move thread, so I'll post in here. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/arkansas-likely-paired-with-mu-in-sec/article_a768fe81-d942-5b7e-8aca-6a980dd8ee9b.html

I'm "meh" about that. Honestly, I'd rather play aTm every year.

I'm sure Mike Anderson also loves this news.

NewChief
03-07-2012, 08:10 AM

I like the proximity in that it will be the closest opponent for both teams. Right now, traveling to away games in the SEC is a bitch if you live in Northwest Arkansas.

NewChief
03-07-2012, 08:11 AM

I don't think it applies the same in basketball as in football.

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Pinkel owns Fesclown on 610 this morning. Great listen if you haven't heard it yet.

http://www.610sports.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5724572

DJ's left nut
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Pinkel said that Josey hasn't had his ACL surgery?

Yeah, no Josey next year.

EDIT: Eh, no ownership in that interview, just some ribbing. And ultimately Pinkel brought up the SEC transition thing, then starts talking about how we all need to let it go and move on. Really, he came off a little petty there.

Whatever, don't care. Ts are crossed, I's are dotted, check's in the mail and we gone.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Pinkel owns Fesclown on 610 this morning. Great listen if you haven't heard it yet.

http://www.610sports.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5724572

Just listened. When did he own Fescoe?

I did chuckle though when Fescoe said "I think you can have success in the SEC...as much as you did in the Big 12."

now that's ownage, ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

I did chuckle though when Fescoe said "I think you can have success in the SEC...as much as you did in the Big 12."

now that's ownage, ROFLYou seem to spend a lot of time in Mizzou threads. What is that all about?

Bambi
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
You seem to spend a lot of time in Mizzou threads. What is that all about?

Nah, interview involved Kansas and poster claiming the Kansas guy got "owned".

Simply wasn't true. Needed to be called out.

Frazod
03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Whatever, don't care. Ts are crossed, I's are dotted, check's in the mail and we gone.

Yep. Fuck Big Texas and all their little dingleberries.

mnchiefsguy
03-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Nice to know KU fans own up and admit Fescoe is one of their own.

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Simply wasn't true. Needed to be called out.It involves Kansas? Granted, I'm only 9 minutes or so into the interview and haven't heard ANYTHING regarding Kansas.

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM

now that's ownage, ROFL

So winning 8+ games a year in the SEC is a big burn? Yeah that would really suck....

God you fucking suck at trolling and life.

Pinkel was interviewed right after this one on 590 in St. Louis.

The radio announcers gave Pinkel some trouble for coming on their show later than scheduled. They asked coach "if he realized that Fescoe was a Jayhawk."

Great Pinkel response: "Oh, yeah, I know. He even looks like one."

mnchiefsguy
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
So winning 8+ games a year in the SEC is a big burn? Yeah that would really suck....

The radio announcers gave Pinkel some trouble for coming on their show later than scheduled. They asked coach "if he realized that Fescoe was a Jayhawk."

Now that is ownage.

Titty Meat
03-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Duncan where are you getting this info about Rameriz at?

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Is Bob Fesclown made of plastic? What a freak show.

http://imgsrv.610sports.com/image/DbGraphic/201106/1835400.jpg

DJ's left nut
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Anti-semite...

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

God you ****ing suck at trolling and life.

Success to me is winning championships. Mediocrity is something you are happy with, I can't help you there.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM

God you ****ing suck at trolling and life.

I'm still waiting on you to point out the ownage in the interview. If anything Pinkel came off like an asshole. He sure seems to think not so highly of the talent of Big 12 Football. Funny being that he never won the league, lol

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Success to me is winning championships. Mediocrity is something you are happy with, I can't help you there.

Funny how you think winning 8 games in the SEC is mediocre when your shit team can't even win 1 game in the Big Leftover.

Ignorance is bliss.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Funny how you think winning 8 games in the SEC is mediocre when your shit team can't even win 1 game in the Big Leftover.

Ignorance is bliss.

No radio host clowned on my coach to his face. If they did I wouldn't like him either.

Of course Kansas hasn't had success in the Big 12. They've never won it.

kcchiefsus
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm still waiting on you to point out the ownage in the interview. If anything Pinkel came off like an asshole. He sure seems to think not so highly of the talent of Big 12 Football. Funny being that he never won the league, lol

Yet we still finished higher than Kansas every single year, so fuck off. Your football program is the worst in the country.

mnchiefsguy
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM

How many Big XII championships does KU have in football again?

kcchiefsus
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
No radio host clowned on my coach to his face. If they did I wouldn't like him either.

No, the fat asses who coach your team are just the topic of jokes behind their backs.

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM

- Spelled out clearly why the SEC was a huge win for Mizzou
- Said Haith not winning Big Leftover COY was due clearly to butthurt coaches stuck in this sinking ship of a conference
- Repeatedly said Mizzou and ku would play again and laughed at anyone who thinks it won't happen again
- Said the state of Missouri is overwhelmingly in favor of the move, and provided our early recruiting success as a significant data point

Those are all points that Fesclown and other KC radio morons have argued against, yet Fesclown just sat there like a bitch while Pinkel told him how it was. It was f'n hysterical. Absolute ownage.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
How many Big XII championships does KU have in football again?

They have not won the league in football yet.

eazyb81
03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Yet we still finished higher than Kansas every single year, so **** off. Your football program is the worst in the country.

Hey now, ku was just as good as LSU this year since neither won the championship.

That's wickedstupid logic for you. Not butthurt one bit. LMAO

Frazod
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Hmm. Your current coach is a vagabond who pissed down his leg in his only other college gig with nearly unlimited resources. Your coach prior to that was *snicker* Turner Gill. And prior to that, Jabba the Mangino.

It hardly seems necessary to clown KU coaches, does it? LMAO

duncan_idaho
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Pinkel said that Josey hasn't had his ACL surgery?

Yeah, no Josey next year.

EDIT: Eh, no ownership in that interview, just some ribbing. And ultimately Pinkel brought up the SEC transition thing, then starts talking about how we all need to let it go and move on. Really, he came off a little petty there.

Yeah, I remember reading about a month ago that "Josey will have his second surgery in a few weeks" which is what I went off of.

If he's still scheduled to have it "in a few weeks" that probably is not a great sign.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
- Said Haith not winning Big Leftover COY was due clearly to butthurt coaches stuck in this sinking ship of a conference
- Repeatedly said Mizzou and ku would play again and laughed at anyone who thinks it won't happen again
- Said the state of Missouri is overwhelmingly in favor of the move, and provided our early recruiting success as a significant data point

Those are all points that Fesclown and other KC radio morons have argued against, yet Fesclown just sat there like a bitch while Pinkel told him how it was. It was f'n hysterical. Absolute ownage.

ok thanks.

Saul Good
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM

I don't care about Wichita State. You won't find me scouring their threads to see if their coach has a radio interview about a move to a conference that Mizzou isn't in and claiming that it "involved" Mizzou.

To do so would require me to care greatly about Wichita State just like you obviously do about Mizzou.

Bambi
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't care about Wichita State. You won't find me scouring their threads to see if their coach has a radio interview about a move to a conference that Mizzou isn't in and claiming that it "involved" Mizzou.

To do so would require me to care greatly about Wichita State just like you obviously do about Mizzou.

It's not too difficult to "scour" one page. But if thinking about KU is the only thing that is going to get interest in Mizzou football going around here then I guess we'll just have to play along.

duncan_idaho
03-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Duncan where are you getting this info about Rameriz at?

Super-secret sources. ;)

Started on the PowerMizzou premium board. Quickly made its way to the Main Rivals Board, then to TigerBoard, etc.

It's out there now, so I know Gabe doesn't mind it being credited.

I will say this, though. The guys that run the Arkansas site are freaking hacks. They posted an article after Arkie's junior day that was heavily pro-Arkansas (with no mention of any other schools). Afterwards, PM got in touch with Ramirez, who told them Missouri was his leader and would remain his leader even if/when Arkie offers, and to "please quote me on that."

The Arkie writer then tried to downplay it, saying Ramirez was only saying what Missouri fans wanted to hear.

This is the same guy perpetuating a story that DGB:

1) Committed to Arkansas coaches after the Auburn game
2) Re-affirmed the commitment to coaches and players during his official visit
3) Called Arkansas the day before National Signing Day to reaffirm again

Meanwhile, everyone else (including reporters at OU's site and two national recruiting analysts) was hearing that DGB was recruiting Durron Neal HARD to Mizzou.

YEah, that's something an Arkie silent commit/re-affirmed commit would do...

Apparently, Arkie writers and maybe the coaches need to learn the difference between a recruit saying "I could see myself here, I like it" and "I am coming here."

Saul Good
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
It's not too difficult to "scour" one page. But if thinking about KU is the only thing that is going to get interest in Mizzou football going around here then I guess we'll just have to play along.

It would be very easy for me to scour the Wichita State thread. I don't, though...because I don't care.

Meanwhile, you respond immediately to things posted in Mizzou threads...because you care a lot.

That's okay, though. I'm glad you're so into Mizzou. Granted, it's hard not to be when they have been at the center of the biggest story in college athletics over the past few years.

|Zach|
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8eECpc7G5a4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beer bacon
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

lol kansas football

kepp
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

That's awesome.

kepp
03-07-2012, 02:13 PM

His more direct shots at Fescoe (and other ku media drones) was when he referenced the propaganda coming out of the KC media against the SEC move.

duncan_idaho
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Ironic post is ironic, coming from a fan of KU.

You realize your coach is one of the most notorious assholes in football, right?

He managed to engender as much hate in one year in Florida as he did in four-five years in South Bend.

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Super-secret sources. ;)

Started on the PowerMizzou premium board. Quickly made its way to the Main Rivals Board, then to TigerBoard, etc.

I will say this, though. The guys that run the Arkansas site are freaking hacks. They posted an article after Arkie's junior day that was heavily pro-Arkansas (with no mention of any other schools). Afterwards, PM got in touch with Ramirez, who told them Missouri was his leader and would remain his leader even if/when Arkie offers, and to "please quote me on that."

The Arkie writer then tried to downplay it, saying Ramirez was only saying what Missouri fans wanted to hear.

Meanwhile, everyone else (including reporters at OU's site and two national recruiting analysts) was hearing that DGB was recruiting Durron Neal HARD to Mizzou.

Apparently, Arkie writers and maybe the coaches need to learn the difference between a recruit saying "I could see myself here, I like it" and "I am coming here."You're familiar with Arky Fan, are you not? Every recruit is security committed to Arkansas. If the player does decide to go elsewhere, it's because Arkansas pulled the scholarship or money was exchanged under the table.

The Mods/Writers on the Arkansas sites are simply pandering to the base.

Titty Meat
03-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Super-secret sources. ;)

Apparently, Arkie writers and maybe the coaches need to learn the difference between a recruit saying "I could see myself here, I like it" and "I am coming here."

Damn. Any mention of Nebraska? Because what I read on Huskerboard is it seems like the kid really likes us and we'll be in the running. Can you confirm this at all?

Al Bundy
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Fescoe is a turd. I have met the guy and he really is an asshole.

duncan_idaho
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Damn. Any mention of Nebraska? Because what I read on Huskerboard is it seems like the kid really likes us and we'll be in the running. Can you confirm this at all?

I know he likes Nebraska, but I don't get the sense that they're major competition. It sounds pretty good for Mizzou right now, honestly, and that's from stuff coming out of his mouth.

Could see this working out like Michael Rose last year (Where there just isn't that much interest in anyone else).

Pasta Little Brioni
03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
It would be very easy for me to scour the Wichita State thread. I don't, though...because I don't care.

Meanwhile, you respond immediately to things posted in Mizzou threads...because you care a lot.

That's okay, though. I'm glad you're so into Mizzou. Granted, it's hard not to be when they have been at the center of the biggest story in college athletics over the past few years.

The lil guy has SEC fever. Can't blame him, but he should admit it.

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Another rendition.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/tg1979/mock_unis.jpg

KingPriest2
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
The new helmets

pkane
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
The new helmets

For real?

If so I like it. Pretty sweet.

OmahaChief
03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
For real?

If so I like it. Pretty sweet.

Not for real yet. A guy on PowerMizzou made that helmet.

pkane
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Not for real yet. A guy on PowerMizzou made that helmet.

Figures. After I typed that I figured it was fan made.

Frazod
03-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Nice article from CBS Sports.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/17643360/mizzou-amped-to-join-elite-sec-but-does-it-know-what-its-getting-into

Mizzou amped to join elite SEC, but does it know what it's getting into?
By Dennis Dodd | CBSSports.com Senior College Football Columnist

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- The big paw reached between the closing elevator doors. At the height of his power, Bear Bryant perhaps could have parted seas. For Gary Pinkel, this simple act was impressive enough.

"All the sudden a hand went up ... and he walked in with a couple of entourage people," Pinkel said, remembering a day more than 30 years ago. "I introduced myself to him. He said, 'You're one of Donnie's boys.'"

At that moment, the man who would eventually become Missouri's coach felt like he had become one of Bear's made men. The chance meeting came at the coaches' convention where annually the great, near-great and anonymous mix in a cauldron of lobby waving, schmoozing and clinics.

As a 29-year-old University of Washington assistant for Don James, Pinkel hit the bump-into jackpot. He was made aware of an inner circle that he never knew existed. Champions roll with champions.

"We never called Coach James 'Donnie,'" Pinkel said. "We went up two floors and it stopped. He walked out, turned around, looked at me and said, 'Make sure you tell Donnie, the Bear said hello.'"

A few months later Bear Bryant had passed, but the moment hadn't.

"It was the last convention he went to," Pinkel said solemnly. "I got to shake his hand."

Three decades later, the words on an office paper weight still recall that chance meeting.

I ain't nothin' but a winner -- Bear Bryant

Before last fall, Pinkel's paper weight might have gone unnoticed. Now it is a reminder that Missouri is in college football's inner circle. The grand transition to the SEC has begun. The state school from a Civil War border state is in the process of cutting ties with the Big 12, a conference in which it has played in some configuration since 1907. This week's Big 12 basketball tournament marks another stage in that long, sad -- at times contentious -- goodbye.

If nothing had happened in the realignment merry-go-round, Missouri still has never been hotter. Enrollment is booming. The basketball program is in the top 10. The signing of the nation's football No. 1 recruit -- Dorial Green-Beckham -- sent a couple of messages. A potential star, sure, but already a sign to the rest of the SEC that Missouri has come to play big-boy football.

"We're getting [recruiting interest from] the best in the nation now," Pinkel said.

As tough as the decision to leave was, this is the way the end had to be. A whole lot of hell before bliss. Missouri has made a lifetime decision to go South and East for what seems like a forever marriage.

Six months from the kickoff of the first season in the SEC, Pinkel knows there is a standard to meet. The stadium will eventually have to grow and get prettier. The 80-yard indoor facility must be expanded to 100 yards. He would like a stand-alone football office.

The city itself might have to build more hotels to accommodate big-boy football. That's based on the early ticket interest for the Georgia and Alabama home games. Some of those SEC standards were made clear to the administration when they asked the coach's opinion of the move.

Great, Pinkel said, but either go strong or go home. A man who shares Midwestern sensibilities with his constituents, made his bones on the West Coast with James and shares a non-BCS alma mater with Nick Saban (Kent State), must change homes. Quickly. Successfully. Now.

"This, to me, is Missouri's shot," said Pinkel, now 59. "You want to be significant in that league? There's never been a better opportunity to make the move. Now we have to do it."

For the Missouri Tigers, their paw has reached between the doors. The elevator to the top of the best football conference in the country awaits.

Football drives the bus

Leaning back in his office chair, Pinkel is saying it without saying it. None of this would have been possible without success in football. His success. The greatest coaches in Missouri history are considered Dan Devine and Don Faurot. Faurot put the school on the map by playing a series of high-profile guarantee games for financial reasons in the 1940s and '50s. Oh yeah, he also invented the Split T formation.

Devine, the future Packers and Notre Dame coach, won 92 games here in 13 seasons, including 77 in the '60s. During that decade, Mizzou was the only program in the country to lose no more than three games in a season.

If Missouri succeeds in the SEC, Pinkel will leave a legacy that could top both local legends. In his 12th year, Missouri is back to enjoying consistent success. Since 2007, it is 48-19 -- a better record in that span than Auburn, South Carolina, Arkansas and Georgia. Since 2006, Missouri is one of six BCS schools to win at least eight games each season. The only SEC program on that list is LSU.

In '07, the Tigers were ranked No. 1 for a week and came within a game of playing for the national championship.

So the potential is there, just as it is for stagnation. There have been seven consecutive bowls. Pinkel (85 wins at Missouri) needs just 16 wins to overtake Faurot's school record of 100. The program has been more than competitive with the SEC, going 19-8-1. Its only losing record is against Kentucky and Georgia.

But the program hasn't won an outright conference title since 1960. They're calling Mizzou the SEC's new Arkansas -- competitive and proud, but not dominant.

The question they're asking from Gainesville to Fayetteville remains: Does Missouri know what it is going into?

'He was defending me so much'

Pinkel is referring to his boss, athletic director Mike Alden. The coach took over a program in 2001 that had two winning seasons in the previous 17. The late Larry Smith laid somewhat of a foundation, but it was crumbling when Pinkel took over. Example: There was one cornerback on scholarship.

"I can go on and on," Pinkel said.

So he does, reaching into his files for his job evaluation from Alden after Year 2. The Tigers had completed a second consecutive losing season since Pinkel had arrived from Toledo.

Gary Pinkel inherited a program that has had very, very limited success in the sport of football ... There is no question the competitiveness and talent level that he inherited was below average.

"He was digging, man," Pinkel said. "He had to find something positive."

Missouri coaches trace the turnaround to 2005, against an SEC program. Missouri came from 21 points down to defeat South Carolina in the Independence Bowl. The Tigers beat Steve Spurrier and beat back some demons. Since that day, the Tigers have won 70 percent of their games.

That compares favorably with Alabama. In the same six-year span, the Tide have been marginally better overall (76 percent). So, yeah, Pinkel knows his program's place in this conference migration.

"The only reason we're in that league is football," he said.

Our Way

Missouri considers its spread option offense unique. The quarterback stands a distant seven yards behind the center. The idea is to get the ball out of the quarterback's hands as soon as possible, a direct challenge, it would seem, to those SEC D-line freaks.

It is not smash mouth, but it works. Beefy offensive linemen -- a lot of them homegrown Missouri boys -- have been a staple. Offensive coordinator Dave Yost isn't afraid to proclaim he may have the best set of tackles in the country -- Elvis Fisher on the left side and Justin Britt on the right.

It is not a one-trick Tiger. Mizzou claims Aldon Smith, who had 14 sacks as a rookie for the 49ers. In his second pro season, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon was No. 2 in tackles for the Falcons.

But offense is how Missouri got to this moment. There is also an understanding there is an SEC man card to be earned. Yost says his scheme was adopted from Urban Meyer during Meyer's time a decade ago at Bowling Green. Over the years the offense has been refined, tweaked. Missouri has become a quarterback factory of sorts. Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert have all graduated to the NFL.

Oregon's Chip Kelly and Dan Mullen, when he was at Florida, have trekked here to study the offense.

"We call it, 'Our Way,'" Yost said.

Yost is Missouri's version of whatever the term "offensive guru" means these days. He's 42 and could pass for 22. His blond, surfer-cut hair always seems to have a set of shades nested in it. You never know when you're going to run into a tasty wave in mid-Missouri.

Since 1997, he has been Pinkel's recruiting coordinator. Four times in the past six years, Missouri has finished in the top 12 in total offense. As one of Pinkel's top lieutenants it will be his job to keep the offense moving, to penetrate the toughest defenses in existence.

"You always hear about how great the SEC is -- and they always have really great teams -- but we played pretty good football in the Big 12 ...," he said.

"You always hear about it. Let's go."

From Big 12 to big picture

It was more of a pep rally when the official Missouri-to-the-SEC announcement came down in early November.

Dick Clark would have loved the American Bandstand feel. Students, alums and officials gathered on campus. Dancing, it seemed, was optional. Everyone was geeked. The school had swung and missed at the Big Ten in 2010. This chance came out of nowhere and quickly.

The Big 12 can argue about Missouri's tactics and loyalty and truthfulness, but it can't argue about the league's instability. Concessions were made, but too late. Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M were already out the door in September when Mizzou apparently made its final decision to leave. Texas and Oklahoma flirting with the Pac-12 for a second time was too much.

That November day, SEC commissioner Mike Slive was briefed on Missouri traditions by Florida president Bernie Machen, a St. Louis native. They had trouble locating the SEC helmet to be presented to Alden. Slive pulled it off smoothly, even returning to Birmingham with a couple of frozen Shakespeare's pizzas from Mizzou's landmark eatery.

"Welcome," Slive told the gathering, "to your new home."

That sounded so strange. What do the Mizzou Tigers know of Mike the Tiger or Rammer Jammer or War Eagle? What does it all mean? With 14 SEC teams, it could mean more world domination. It certainly means more game inventory. It means the SEC can now plan for a network of its own. The Big Ten has set the standard with its successful endeavor that could shoot off $4 billion-$5 billion in rights fees and profits by the year 2027.

It means Pinkel was right. Mizzou will have to invest. It comes into the SEC 11th in both revenue and expenses; 12th in the 14-team league in expenses directly allocated to football. (Figures provided by the Birmingham News.)

"Honestly our budget has never been a problem," Pinkel said.

It means Mizzou took the next recruiting step when it landed Green-Beckham last month. Yost was as professionally and emotionally invested in the kid as any he had recruited. They met when Green-Beckham was in the seventh grade.

There is a picture on Yost's phone from Green-Beckham's trip to New York for the December Heisman ceremony. The high school senior is standing next to Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

"Which one looks like an NFL player?" Yost asked coyly.

Yost became so close to the Beckham family that on visits he thought nothing of heading to the room of Eliza, Dorial's 7-year-old sister, to watch videos or read. When the time came for the recruit to pick a school, six years of recruiting paid off. Missouri has never won a national championship or and has gone 52 years since sniffing a share of a conference title, but they snagged No. 1 on Feb. 1.

Arguably the biggest recruit in school history is competitive addition by subtraction. By playing for Missouri, he won't play for SEC rivals Arkansas or Alabama, two of his other finalists.

"That was a good day for us," Pinkel said. "It helps our brand name. Going to the SEC, the statement was made. If he's here almost anybody will look at us. Why would they not?"

It means Pinkel is placing more recruiting emphasis in Georgia and Florida. There will be billboards, direct mail. Lots of direct mail -- 30,000 pieces per week in the Southeast, Pinkel said, aimed at high school students, coaches and administrators.

The program isn't cutting recruiting ties with the state of Texas, which has sustained Missouri greatly during Pinkel's reign. It is merely repositioning -- telling those kids what it is telling everyone: Do you want to play in the best conference around?

It also means Missouri is suddenly tied for seventh in a darker category associated with the SEC -- all-time number of NCAA major infractions cases (four).

"Really, if you want to get down to it, the SEC is all about being the best," said Missouri offensive line coach Josh Henson, who spent four years in the league as Les Miles' tight ends coach.

Whatever form "best" takes?

"I'm not going there," Henson said.

For better or worse, Missouri is well on its way there -- South and East in this forever marriage.

DJ's left nut
03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
The new helmets

If legit, those are badass.

DJ's left nut
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Ha! Okay, this would just suck right here:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/mar/11/backup-mu-qb-arrested-warrants/?tigerextra

Get punched in the face, then arrested for unpaid speeding tickets. Oh yeah, and you probably won't have a job to speak of next year anyway...

Not the best day for Ashton Glaser.

KcMizzou
03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Dave Matter ‏ @Dave_Matter

#Mizzou QB James Franklin came out of practice after getting hurt in a scrum for a lost fumble. Pinkel: "He tweaked his shoulder."

Dave Matter ‏ @Dave_Matter

Franklin getting shoulder looked at after practice. Rare to see him take himself off the field. Coaches are unsure of severity.

Trevo_410
03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
berk

berk

berk
BERK
BERK!!!
BERK1!!!!11!11!!WOOOOHHHHHHH GETSOM

beer bacon
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
It sounds like Mizzou is going to pickup a commit from Blue Valley, KS offensive tackle Clay Rhodes in the near future.

duncan_idaho
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Been a quiet few weeks for football...

Some updates today from Mike Slive at the KC Tiger Club Meeting:

- A network such as the Longhorn Network is not allowed per SEC bylaws (Sunshine Network is different/not exclusive to UF/could be rolled into conference network)

- No 9-team schedule

- Missouri staying in the East

DeezNutz
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

- A network such as the Longhorn Network is not allowed per SEC bylaws (Sunshine Network is different/not exclusive to UF/could be rolled into conference network)

- No 9-team schedule

- Missouri staying in the East

Possible to elaborate, please?

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Possible to elaborate, please?

8 conference games; 4 non-con.

The idea of 9 SEC games was a little spooky to me; glad to hear it's tabled for right now.

DeezNutz
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
8 conference games; 4 non-con.

The idea of 9 SEC games was a little spooky to me; glad to hear it's tabled for right now.

Thanks.

The way it was originally phrased just wasn't clicking for me for some reason. Might be tired.

Pitt Gorilla
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM

- No 9-team schedule

- Missouri staying in the EastPretty sure Kevin Keitzman said that such networks WERE allowed. He surely wouldn't lie, would he?!?

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty sure Kevin Keitzman said that such networks WERE allowed. He surely wouldn't lie, would he?!?

"It's not a lie, if you believe it...."

KK is just too uninformed to know any better. He's been trying to argue that the Sunshine Network is the same as the Longhorn Network for months now.

He's just an idiot. Worse still is that he's militantly ignorant and intentionally uninformed. He simply refuses to get himself up to speed on this issue.

Then again, I shut him off 2 months ago and haven't listened to him since; it's possible he's bothered to do some homework on the subject...

...but I kinda doubt it.

phisherman
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
i haven't listened to kietzman in ages. it's sad, but i'd rather listen to nick wright. it's better to listen to an idiot talk about sports than it is to listen to an idiot talk about barbecue on a sports program.

duncan_idaho
03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: School networks and third-tier rights...

The difference is that the SEC actually has first shot at those third-tier rights per the conference bylaws/agreement. So if they ever wanted to organize a conference network (which they will do eventually), they don't have to ask the schools to give up their rights. They already have.

That's why a Longhorn Network would never happen. And why the Sunshine Network is nothing like the LHN.

Al Bundy
03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Re: School networks and third-tier rights...

The difference is that the SEC actually has first shot at those third-tier rights per the conference bylaws/agreement. So if they ever wanted to organize a conference network (which they will do eventually), they don't have to ask the schools to give up their rights. They already have.

That's why a Longhorn Network would never happen. And why the Sunshine Network is nothing like the LHN.

Sunshine Network airs NBA games, NHL Hockey games and every other FSN type of show. KK is full of shit.

duncan_idaho
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
double post

ThatRaceCardGuy
03-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Sandy vagina always cracks me up.

ThatRaceCardGuy
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

:clap:

duncan_idaho
04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
2014 DeSmet OL Andy Bauer committed to Mizzou today, spurning offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Auburn, Arkansas, Notre Dame and others.

Huge get, and a kid who will be a possible 5-star prospect next season.

They lost out on Ezekiel Elliott earlier this week... I was worried Bauer might join him at OSU.

Saul Good
04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
2014 DeSmet OL Andy Bauer committed to Mizzou today, spurning offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Auburn, Arkansas, Notre Dame and others.

Huge get, and a kid who will be a possible 5-star prospect next season.

They lost out on Ezekiel Elliott earlier this week... I was worried Bauer might join him at OSU.

That is a HUGE get. We need to keep getting players from that part of the state.

Saul Good
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Talk about a guy that doesn't look like an athlete, though...

O.city
Desmet is in STL correct?

Good get for the Tigers.

DJ's left nut
Massive get if we can hold onto him for 11 months. All an oral commit seems to be these days is a bullseye.

Saul Good
04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Massive get if we can hold onto him for 11 months. All an oral commit seems to be these days is a bullseye.

23 months, I believe

Pitt Gorilla
04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Andy Bauer is an enormous get. This is outstanding news.

On the other end of the spectrum, Eric Waters is out with a torn MCL. He should be ready for fall practices, though.

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:01 PM
What is the word on Josey?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-07-2012, 03:23 PM

The only time KU ever had dreams of a "championship", they ended up eating the turf at Arrowhead.

Mizzou_8541
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Had his second knee surgery last week or the week prior. This one to repair the ACL, I think.

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
So he's probably not playing this year for sure?

Mizzou_8541
04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
So he's probably not playing this year for sure?

He is definitely not playing this year, perhaps ever.

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Damn, that sucks. Seemed like a good kid too, hate that for him.

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Does MU have much to replace him at RB?

duncan_idaho
04-07-2012, 03:33 PM

I saw a tweet from him, apparently before the surgery/after they had examined the knee, and it sounded like the recovery from the patellar surgery was a best-case type of thing.

I just hope the kid can get healthy and back on the field. That's a devastating injury, and if he can return and be even 90 percent of the player he was before, I think that's a win.

Mizzou_8541
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Kendial Lawrence was the number 1 RB last year before he got hurt and Josey took over. Marcus Murphy is a RS Soph and showed a lot of promise his Freshman year. We have a few capable runners, but nothing close to Josey.

Saul Good
04-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Does MU have much to replace him at RB?

Josey was our 4th stringer to start last season. We're deep at RB, but Josey was special.

OmahaChief
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Andy Bauer is a huge get for the 2014 class..great to be a Tiger

ghak99
04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Is this the new look?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/538898_10100794057983390_15910394_54831060_1347204606_n.jpg

Bowser
04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
That's........bright.

SPATCH
04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. idk.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I don't like th enew helmet. I saw a pic of one that was back colored white under the tiger. That looked cool. This just kind of looks half ass.

Frazod
04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Is this the new look?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/538898_10100794057983390_15910394_54831060_1347204606_n.jpg

I like it.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:21 AM
That's one of several.

BTW, rumor is that Trent Hosick, the QB for Staley, has committed to Mizzou.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
That's one of several.

BTW, rumor is that Trent Hosick, the QB for Staley, has committed to Mizzou.

To go along with the running back from Staley (totally blanking on his name). Nice.

Is this the same QB that got the coach scrutinized for the possible tranfer rules violation?

kcchiefsus
04-14-2012, 11:27 AM
To go along with the running back from Staley (totally blanking on his name). Nice.

Is this the same QB that got the coach scrutinized for the possible tranfer rules violation?

Morgan Steward

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:31 AM

I don't know anything about the transfer thing.

DeezNutz
04-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Need more pictures (and higher quality ones at that), but my initial reaction is that the uniforms are bad ass.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Nick Ramirez and Trent Hosick have committed.

KCrockaholic
04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Just want to say coach Fred Bouchard from Staley is who deserves a ton of credit for the development of the great talent at that school. He is a phenomenal coach.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Need more pictures (and higher quality ones at that), but my initial reaction is that the uniforms are bad ass.

Yeah, even with my nitpicking, they are nice. Mizzou really needed to mix their looks up. They've grown a bit stale over the years.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:35 AM
The borders are on lockdown. These are huge gets both for the talent that it brings to the team and the message that it sends to the rest of the state. If you are a top talent in the state of Missouri, you go to Mizzou.

Jerm
04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
The borders are on lockdown. These are huge gets both for the talent that it brings to the team and the message that it sends to the rest of the state. If you are a top talent in the state of Missouri, you go to Mizzou.

But but but the SEC move is going to KILL recruiting...you hadn't heard? LOL.

Great pickups and yes we have the borders on lock...

DJ's left nut
04-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Ramirez the Lee's Summit product....

It's a Kansas City!

kcchiefsus
04-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Both kids have Kansas offers, by the way. I thought Grunny said Kansas was going to lockdown Kansas City? GFY Grunhard.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Great pickups and yes we have the borders on lock...

I'm sure our recruiters are trying not to bring that up. I mean, why would players not want to play in the Big XII where our homecoming game against KSU 2 years ago wasn't even televised? Kids today don't like high profile games against Bama and Georgia. They want Iowa State and Kansas if front of a smattering of fans.

DJ's left nut
04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Ramirez has some pretty impressive figures for what is ultimately only a good list of offers.

Nebraska is a pretty heavy offer, but otherwise the Oklahomas, Alabamas and Texas offers don't appear to be there. I wonder if he may not get a few more 'big' offers over the next several months if he has a good fall.

I wouldn't consider him locked in just yet; not with an interest list that long, 4-stars and some impressive size/speed numbers. I expect he'll get some big offers and he'll listen long and hard.

DJ's left nut
04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I hope this is our 'standard' uni:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1040806/Aqc939jCIAEFO3I_medium.jpg

Those are freakin' badass.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Both kids have Kansas offers, by the way. I thought Grunny said Kansas was going to lockdown Kansas City? GFY Grunhard.

Kansas slit their own throats by hiring Grunhard. Coaches around the metro area hate him because they felt that he was recruiting players away from public schools to come play for his team. Grabbing a recruiter who has burned as many bridges as Grunny supposedly has just poisons the well.

Oh well. That's their problem. We're not really competing for players, anyway. Unless/until their program gets to a point where we have to worry about recruiting against them, I really don't care what they do.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Ramirez has some pretty impressive figures for what is ultimately only a good list of offers.

Nebraska is a pretty heavy offer, but otherwise the Oklahomas, Alabamas and Texas offers don't appear to be there. I wonder if he may not get a few more 'big' offers over the next several months if he has a good fall.

I wouldn't consider him locked in just yet; not with an interest list that long, 4-stars and some impressive size/speed numbers. I expect he'll get some big offers and he'll listen long and hard.

I don't think so. I think he's here to stay. Let's get Zach Hannon, now.

I think he'll wind up at Mizzou as well, but we haven't done too well with Rockhurst players lately. I actually know Zach a little. I know some of his close friends well. I think he would really consider Oklahoma if he gets an offer, as they really crank out NFL O-Linemen, but I think he winds up at Mizzou.

Titty Meat
04-14-2012, 12:05 PM

He's def. Mizzou's to lose it sounds like decided to go to the Mizzou Spring game over Nebraska's. I don't know what USC LB situation is like but don't be surprised if they offer him.

Trevo_410
04-14-2012, 12:07 PM
here's stream...

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/119048/1/watch-missouri-black-&-gold-game.html

Trevo_410
04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
i hate the grey on our away unis.... also hate the wings on them too...

Sassy Squatch
04-14-2012, 12:11 PM
What in the hell are those yellow atrocities?

eazyb81
04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
SEC move is really hurting recruiting in KC.

eazyb81
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM

The only thing Grunny will lock down is post-game pizzas for Jabba the Weis.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
This class so far?

http://www.naughtybits.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/southpark-cum.jpg

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Might land a WR from Texas, J'mon Moore today as well. Not sure how this is possible since we aren't going to be able to recruit in Texas anymore, but whatever. He's got offers from Miami, West Virgina, Texas A&M, Michigan State, and several others.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Great pickups and yes we have the borders on lock...Eh, just one more thing that Keitzman tried to lie about.

Reaper16
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/107534665533249077910/albums/5731347181126599345/5731347183189998898

Bowser
04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/107534665533249077910/albums/5731347181126599345/5731347183189998898

I like it. I like it a lot.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Damn, those are slick.

Frazod
04-14-2012, 02:34 PM
While I'll kind of miss the old helmet, I like the new one enough to not be bothered by it. Overall I'm thrilled with the change. I really disliked the old ones.

Excellent :thumb:

Pasta Little Brioni
04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Good time to be an MU fan.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Good time to be an MU fan.

Keitzman gets a migraine everytime someone says those words.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Keitzman gets a migraine everytime someone says those words.

Well, his head will end up exploding. The move to the SEC was just what was needed to reach the untapped potential.

SPATCH
04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
on the athletics website it said that the rebranding would also change the basketball uni's. interested to see what they do there

Trevo_410
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
on the athletics website it said that the rebranding would also change the basketball uni's. interested to see what they do there

http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/7963d90e866311e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

DeezNutz
04-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Football uniforms look fantastic.

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
duncan needs to update the OP.

KcMizzou
04-14-2012, 04:20 PM
https://plus.google.com/photos/107534665533249077910/albums/5731347181126599345/5731347183189998898Damn. Those are sweet.

Saul Good
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/7963d90e866311e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Getting a bit of a zebra vibe from the whites.

O.city
04-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Not a huge fan of the whites, but i really like the others.

-King-
04-14-2012, 05:02 PM
How can anyone hate this?

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/6366/aqdv1otcaaafatz.png

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 05:26 PM
There are different pics on Facebook as well. The new unis are sweet

https://www.facebook.com/mutigersdotcom

allen_kcCard
04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Love the flat black on the helmet.

Caseyguyrr
04-14-2012, 05:36 PM
those are badass

chefsos
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I like that matte helmet with the big tiger head, but it needs to not have yellow whiskers and teeth.

KcMizzou
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I was a little nervous about what they'd come up with. But man, I love 'em.

Bowser
04-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Yep. I think the white away jersies may be my early favorites.

Titty Meat
04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
How can anyone hate this?

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/6366/aqdv1otcaaafatz.png

Because the tiger on the helmet looks like Simbas mom?

kepp
04-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Love the flat black on the helmet.

Yeah...I'm a big fan of that. That's one of the things I liked most about the pro combat unis from a couple years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 07:52 PM
http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/217a05d0866611e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xdw2D.png

KcMizzou
04-14-2012, 08:12 PM
http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/217a05d0866611e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpgChase!

duncan_idaho
04-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I've been slacking on updating the commit list. Everything is current, now.

Very excited about Hosick. Urban Meyer was starting to sniff around. Kid is a winner and a great athlete who will give Missouri a dual-threat option after Franklin is done.

Also glad they locked up Nick Ramirez. Not surprised, but it's a big commit regardless.

|Zach|
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Agreed. I like the football ones more than basketball but overall they are strong there is nothing I really hate.

Pitt Gorilla
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
WR J'Mon Moore commits to Mizzou! Moore had eleven offers, including Miami, Texas A&M, Michigan State and West Virginia.

Per PowerMizzou

Mizzou_8541
04-17-2012, 09:08 PM
WR J'Mon Moore commits to Mizzou! Moore had eleven offers, including Miami, Texas A&M, Michigan State and West Virginia.

Per PowerMizzou

Impressive offer list. Where's he from?

Pitt Gorilla
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Impressive offer list. Where's he from?Missouri City, TX.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
This is MISSOURI City

Pitt Gorilla
04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
The commitment is still pending the approval of the Big XII, given that Mizzou is no longer allowed to sign kids from Texas.

Frazod
04-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Nice Mizzou article from Sports Illustrated, main article on their CFB page. I guess they like our new uniforms.

http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/04/17/missouri-spring-sec/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

Gary Pinkel, Missouri working to earn respect in new league

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- When co-offensive line coach Josh Henson came to Missouri from LSU in 2009, he figured he would be the one asking all the questions on a staff renowned throughout college football for its continuity. But since the Tigers announced their move from the Big 12 to the SEC, Henson, who served as LSU's recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach, has become the staff sage on matters SEC. Still, he isn't sure how much help he can offer.

"I had probably already told them all the stories," Henson said with a laugh after a practice last month.

No matter. Head coach Gary Pinkel and his staff will take all the advice they can get as they enter the league that has produced the past six national champions. Assistants will get new recruiting areas, and players and coaches will have to quickly brush up on a new set of foes.

When spring practice ends, Pinkel will have assistants thoroughly break down each opponent on a schedule that has only two holdovers (Arizona State and fellow SEC newcomer Texas A&M) from last season. Coaches study opponents every offseason, but since almost everyone on the schedule is new, Pinkel wants a more detailed dossier on each team. He knew what Kansas and Kansas State would do year-to-year, but Georgia and South Carolina are relative mysteries.

At the moment, Pinkel sees no need for radical schematic changes despite the shift from a pass-happy, defense-light league to a conference that prizes stout defense above all else. "You've got to do what you do," Pinkel said.

That's not a bad idea. Thanks to a confluence of divisional gerrymandering, schedule-making and quality recruiting/coaching on the part of Pinkel and his staff, Missouri should enter the SEC in a far better position than fellow Big 12 refugee Texas A&M. Longitude be damned, Missouri wound up in the SEC East because that proved the tidiest solution to adding two schools on the league's western edge. While the Aggies look up at Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and probably Auburn, Missouri can look almost across at Georgia and South Carolina.

The Tigers got stuck with an Oct. 13 visit from Alabama, but otherwise the schedule plays out favorably. Georgia, the best East team on paper, will make the first of its two trips to a town named Columbia on Sept. 8. Faurot Field will almost certainly be rocking for the first moments of Missouri's new life in the SEC, and it appears the Bulldogs will have both starting cornerbacks and a starting safety suspended for the game.

If Missouri quarterback James Franklin is healthy -- he suffered a torn labrum at practice on March 13 and had surgery, but Pinkel expects him back for the season -- the Tigers might have the firepower to upset the Bulldogs. Remember, Missouri has averaged 9.6 wins per season since 2007, and the Tigers have recruited accordingly. In February, they nabbed receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, the nation's top-ranked prospect. With Franklin (2,865 passing yards, 21 passing TDs, 981 rushing yards, 15 rushing TDs in 2011) throwing to T.J. Moe (54 catches, 649 yards in 2011) and Green-Beckham (think a faster, more athletic Alshon Jeffery, SEC fans), Missouri's spread offense could be one of the more productive in the league as long as coordinator David Yost can find someone to replace the production of tailback Henry Josey, who probably will need another year to recover from a catastrophic knee injury.

Meanwhile, the Tigers have several defensive players who might look at home on elite SEC rosters. Brad Madison and Kony Ealy appear next in the line of uppercrust defensive ends that includes Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith and Jacquies Smith. Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, a former five-star recruit who spent two years at a California junior college, had eight tackles for loss as a junior and appears ready to break out in his second season. At linebacker, Zaviar Gooden weighs 230 pounds and runs like a cornerback. "He's quick. He can make a mistake and make up for it," fellow linebacker Will Ebner said of Gooden. "That's something most people don't have. That's something I don't have."

What the Tigers don't have is a roster packed with such athletes at every position and even in some backup roles. Georgia and South Carolina do, especially on the defensive line. That, Henson said, is the critical difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. "You'll see as good top-end players in the Big 12," Henson said. "The biggest difference [in the SEC] is probably the week-to-week depth."

Unlike many of his fellow head coaches, who were dragged along through conference realignment with no say in the move, Pinkel had a chance to voice his opinion before the Tigers elected to leave the Big 12. Though Pinkel said the ultimate decision was made by the chancellor, president and Board of Curators, Pinkel endorsed the move to his bosses. But not because he thought it was necessarily the best move for Gary Pinkel or for Missouri's short-term prospects. "It was what I thought was best for the University of Missouri," Pinkel said. "It wasn't what I thought was best. The best thing for me was we stay in the Big 12. But obviously, there is a reason why four teams left. There were severe problems."

Pinkel's endorsement carried only one condition. "As long as you invest," he said. "That's the No. 1 thing. If you're not going to invest, if we're just going to go in there and do the best we can, I don't want to be a part of it." He'll get his wish. In the next few months, the school will announce future facilities improvements.

Next month, Henson and running backs coach Brian Jones will head to Florida in an attempt to introduce a new crop of recruits to Missouri football. Safeties coach Alex Grinch will do the same in the Atlanta area, where prospects who drive along I-85 in Gwinnett County already pass a Missouri "Proud to be SEC" billboard. The Tigers will keep recruiting in Texas, the state that gave them Franklin, Gooden and former stars such as quarterback Chase Daniel and linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. Pinkel doubts the exit from the Big 12 will shut the door on Texas, not after several Texans have used Missouri as a path to the NFL.

As for the new recruiting grounds and new opponents, Pinkel is realistic. He knows that while the SEC will give the Tigers more money than they're accustomed to, no one in the league is going to hand Missouri anything else. "You've got to prove yourself," Pinkel said. "This whole thing is you've got to earn respect. This is not real complex. There are no predictions here. Nothing. The bottom line is you're one of the new teams, and you've got to earn respect."

DJ's left nut
04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
The 'SEC Homer' is a little strong here, but I actually did get a kick out of a picture I saw on facebook this morning:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548063_339623742760792_100385270017975_907653_1262275567_n.jpg

In reference to this:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7821303/alabama-crimson-tide-crystal-bcs-trophy-shattered-mishap

duncan_idaho
04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Hosick has been working Clay Rhodes pretty hard on twitter (Tweeting him a lot, but not really pressuring). Looks like Trent is going to be an excellent recruiter.

I've long thought, watching his tape, that he was like a mini-Tebow or Tebow-light at QB... big, strong, not afraid to take a hit, excellent runner. His mechanics look better than Tebow's, though.

It appears he's a mini-Tebow (minus the Jesus factor) in more than just his physical skills, though. His leadership abilities are apparently off the charts.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Meant to throw this up earlier... not sure anyone else went to the spring game, but here are my post-spring impressions:

1) Good god, James Franklin better be healthy. Was not impressed with Corbin Berkstresser (Glaser remains what he has always been - an extra arm for practice). With Berk, you can see the arm strength and overall athleticism the coaches liked, but he still looked slow on reads and was delivering the ball late in a lot of cases. His accuracy needs some work, too, to create YAC.

I think Mauk will have an excellent chance to beat out Berk for the No. 2 job in fall camp. He has much more experience playing QB in the spread - and the coaching he has received from earliest ages has been top-notch.

2) More PT for Jimmie Hunt. Fast, strong, elusive.

3) Matt Hoch and Lucas Vincent are going to be +s at DT. With Sheldon Richardson healthy, I think the first three guys are going to be pretty strong performers. Hoch moved past a solid contributor in Jimmy Burge to get his spot, and Coach Kul is high on him.

4) Morse looked good at center, and it looks like snaps will be better this season. Could be huge in improving offensive rhythm.

5) Liked what I saw from the backup LBs. Looked much more instinctive and were playing much faster. Bonner and Ruise are great athletes. Bodes well for depth this season and for the position overall after this year.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Some rumors that Sheldon Richardson may be awarded an extra year...

No way. Right?

That would be huge news.

patteeu
04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Some rumors that Sheldon Richardson may be awarded an extra year...

No way. Right?

That would be huge news.

What would be the basis for the extra year? Was he injured for one of his juco seasons?

DJ's left nut
04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I really don't know. I think he may have been academically ineligible for one of his JUCO seasons.

He really only played one year there - that has to have something to do with it. Still seems pretty bizarre though; I can't come up with a good reason for Richardson to get an extra season and it's awfully early in the game for the NCAA to be awarding it.

kcchiefsus
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, I believe Sheldon was injured his second year of Juco.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2012, 09:47 AM
I really don't know. I think he may have been academically ineligible for one of his JUCO seasons.

He really only played one year there - that has to have something to do with it. Still seems pretty bizarre though; I can't come up with a good reason for Richardson to get an extra season and it's awfully early in the game for the NCAA to be awarding it.

Sheldon injured his wrist just a few games into the season (1 1/2, as I recall) and didn't play the rest of his JUCO season. It's a medical redshirt issue, though it's weird they're awarding it now. Those usually have to be done after the normal eligibility is exhausted.

I've met the women who heads the athletic tutoring program at Mizzou... according to her, they will never use College of the Sequoias again. here is a list of promises they broke re: Sheldon

1) He would be done in time to show up for spring football in 2011.
2) He would play one year, then redshirt to preserve eligibility
3) They would keep other schools away from him

DJ's left nut
04-19-2012, 09:51 AM
That's pretty interesting; never really thought of a D-1 school 'using' a JUCO program but it makes sense that the DI squad would want their recruit to attend a school they are familiar and/or comfortable with.

kepp
04-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Sheldon injured his wrist just a few games into the season (1 1/2, as I recall) and didn't play the rest of his JUCO season. It's a medical redshirt issue, though it's weird they're awarding it now. Those usually have to be done after the normal eligibility is exhausted.

I've met the women who heads the athletic tutoring program at Mizzou... according to her, they will never use College of the Sequoias again. here is a list of promises they broke re: Sheldon

1) He would be done in time to show up for spring football in 2011.
2) He would play one year, then redshirt to preserve eligibility
3) They would keep other schools away from him

I'm sure there's a lot of under the table stuff that goes on with that. If a program like USC comes in and says, "Hey, if we can get some alone time with that Sheldon Richardson guy, we may just send a few of our ineligible recruits your way in the future", there's gonna be some dealing.

duncan_idaho
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
That's pretty interesting; never really thought of a D-1 school 'using' a JUCO program but it makes sense that the DI squad would want their recruit to attend a school they are familiar and/or comfortable with.

It's called "Sign and Place." It's fairly standard procedure. They did it with Markus Golden, too.

Nothing is binding or anything, but the schools help the kids find the JUCO that works best for them. In return, the JUCO takes the school's wishes into consideration.

There's a level of trust that usually exists. CoS was viewed as highly reliable before Sheldon. Not so much after...

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/42256/theres-more-to-mizzou-wrs-than-numbers

There's more to Mizzou WRs than numbers

By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- On paper, Missouri's group of wide receivers bleeds inexperience.

Outside of veteran T.J. Moe, who will be a senior this fall, Missouri's returning receiving targets have combined for 51 catches for 712 yards and five touchdowns in their careers.

But when you talk to players and coaches at Missouri, those numbers tell a much different story. They say that while the returners aren’t burning up the stat sheet, it hasn't been because of a lack of talent.

"It's only unproven because guys haven't got the chance to do anything yet," Moe said. "We have a lot of good receivers out here and we have a lot of guys out here who have made plays."

Last year, Moe led the Tigers with 54 receptions and 649 yards. Behind him, Missouri had former All-American tight end Michael Egnew (50 receptions) and seniors Wes Kemp (29 receptions) and Jerrel Jackson (17 receptions), who combined for 36 starts.

"It's hard to beat those guys out because they do all the right things," offensive coordinator David Yost said.

While most of the talk concerning Missouri's receivers has revolved around inexperience and numbers, Yost and Co. are excited about what this group can do.

Missouri will be counting on speedy WR Marcus Lucas to make a significant impact in 2012.
Coaches and players think they have bona fide deep threats in rising juniors Marcus Lucas and L'Damian Washington. Lucas was fourth on the team in receiving last year (23 catches for 414 yards) and tied for first with five touchdowns. Washington was fifth with 20 catches for 364 yards and three scores.

Yost said both received more time as the season went on because of how explosive they were (Lucas has been clocked running a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash). Both ended the year averaging 18 yards per catch.

Washington was banged up this spring, but Lucas said he took full advantage of his time on the field. With more reps, Lucas said he shook the laziness that hurt him last year. His jogging and trudging around the field turned into sprints, his head stopped swimming and he finally learned how to finish plays after getting more comfortable in Missouri's offense.

"It comes with confidence, really," said Lucas, who caught four passes for 81 yards in Missouri's spring game. "When you don't really know exactly [what's going on] and you're guessing on what your exact assignment is it slows you down. Whenever you're out there just playing, you can play at your top-end speed."

Players like Bud Sasser, who worked at the Y position/tight end position, Gahn McGaffie and Jimmie Hunt, who caught an 88-yard touchdown in the spring game, all impressed this spring. So did tight end Eric Waters, who will now take over for Egnew, before he went down with an MCL injury that required surgery. Coach Gary Pinkel said Waters, who has two career catches, will be a key cog in the offense and should be back up to speed in three months.

Upperclassmen Rolandis Woodland, Jaleel Clark and Kerwin Stricker should also contribute more this fall and much ballyhooed recruit Dorial Green-Beckham, known around the program as "the big guy," will be on campus this summer.

"We're in pretty good shape," Pinkel said.

Before spring practice, 7-on-7 sessions helped build receiver chemistry, but what really brought this group together was not having quarterback James Franklin healthy this spring. After being sidelined with a shoulder injury, the receivers were forced to work with backups Corbin Berkstresser, Alex Demczak and Ashton Glaser.

Lucas said it was tough building chemistry with the other quarterbacks at first, but it forced the receivers to be more vocal in film sessions and in the huddle with the QBs

It also helped the receivers learn to take on more responsibility in the offense. They felt as though they were the voices this spring, and Lucas said that will be more beneficial for this group than in past seasons.

"We just want to be dominant," he said.

"We're kind of like the motor for [the offense]. We run the pace out there. If the wideouts are having a good day, it feels like the offense is having a good day."

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2012, 10:20 PM
http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/behind-the-stripes/2012/apr/16/missouris-spring-has-sprung-a-look-back/

Missouri's spring has sprung: A look back

Is it OK if I go back to writing about football and not brand identity, anthracite and thermoregulation?

Swell. So, where were we? Ahh, yes, spring football.

Other than an inopportune torn labrum and the much anticipated debut of Missouri's new wardrobe, the spring came and went without too many major headlines. With so many established players missing time while recovering from surgeries, it was a tough spring to really come away with any strong opinions on either side of the ball. Plus, the depth chart turnover was fairly static: From the first practice to the final scrimmage, there was only one player who was promoted to starter without the player ahead of him getting injured. That was Matt Hoch, who replaced Jimmy Burge at defensive tackle with the No. 1 defense. A couple new faces started in Saturday's Black & Gold Game, but they replaced starters who were injured during the spring, like quarterback James Franklin (torn labrum) and tight end Eric Waters (torn MCL).

Speaking of Franklin, this Friday will mark four weeks since he underwent surgery to repair the torn band of tissue that protects the joint in his throwing shoulder. The first preseason practice is roughly 16 weeks away. The training staff expects him to start throwing sometime in July. Speaking to reporters for the first time Saturday since hurting his shoulder March 13, Franklin said he feels great, is thankful he decided to have the surgery and expects to be back for the start of the season.

Until then, the Tigers go back out of the spotlight and go through a few months of "voluntary" summer passing sessions, which are generally twice-weekly 7-on-7 drills that are organized by the players. Football coaches are prohibited from attending those sessions, other than training and medical staffers and strength and conditioning coaches. But it would be naïve to think the football staff doesn't have input into those drills. They get regular feedback on the sessions, too. Franklin won't be able to participate in the early sessions, maybe all of them, which means Corbin Berkstresser will continue running the offense this summer.

"It's going to be big because he's going to lead the team," offensive coordinator David Yost said Saturday. "James will be around. But running 7 on 7 … our seniors will do a great job leading, they've done a great job to this point … but the 7 on 7, the stuff they do this summer, it runs through the quarterback. The better he performs, the more attention to detail, the more on task, the crisper he is in practice, the better it runs. I know that's a big deal to him.

"He's answered all the challenges we've given him. It hasn’t' happened instantaneously like you'd like it. The first day he went up with the 1s wasn't his best day. The next day was better. And the next day was better."

Berkstresser's performance Saturday probably wasn't his best of the spring. Linebacker Donovan Bonner made him pay for an ill-advised pass out to his left, intercepted it and returned it 66 yards for a TD. Berkstresser saved face on the next possession with a TD pass to T.J. Moe. In four spring scrimmages, Berkstresser completed 50 of 88 passes (56.8 percent) for 651 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. That calculates to an efficiency rating of 123.4.

His production is way off Franklin's averages for last season, when he completed 63.4 percent of his throws with a rating of 139.9, but Berkstresser's numbers are more in line, and in some cases better, than what Franklin and Tyler Gabbert produced last spring when they competed for the No. 1 job. Gabbert completed 60.4 percent for a 112.8 rating, while Franklin completed 60.0 percent for a 112.7 rating.

Yost blamed nerves for any struggles Berkstresser had Saturday.

"There were things he did today he can definitely do better," Yost said. "But I've seen Brad Smith struggle in the spring game. I've seen Chase Daniel" do the same. "Blaine Gabbert. James Franlin two years ago. Tyler Gabbert last year. It's the first time they've played meaningful time in front of a crowd. You can say it's only 10,000 or 20,000, but it's different. How they slept last night, their thought process. The nerves are the whole thing."

Even Daniel, whose demeanor was either ultra confident or downright cocky depending on what colors you wore to the game, dealt with nerves early in his career, Yost said.

"When Chase played his first game against Arkansas State" in 2005, "he had a bigger crowd in his last game in high school," Yost said. "But he still told me, 'Coach, I was really nervous out there.' "

"I try to diffuse that as much as I can. There were things" Berkstresser "did well. He stood in there and he's getting the ball downfield making throws. The biggest thing I saw today was he played within himself. As the day went on he played better and better."

Yost could say the same for a few more players on offense. Here are a few who caught my eye the last six weeks:

Mitch Morse, center: Smart. Big. Tough. Athletic. Does that sound like what you're looking for as the anchor for your O-line? The coaching staff loves Morse's attitude, especially the way he approached winter conditioning drills. He hasn't deferred to his older teammates along the offensive line because he knows the center has to be the brains of the operation. He's especially good at handling shotgun snaps, which he'll do countless times this fall.

Gahn McGaffie, slot receiver/tight end: Moe was the team's most productive receiver from start to end and was especially valuable giving Berkstresser confidence by getting open and catching everything. But we already knew he could do that. The Tigers need more weapons in the middle of the field, and McGaffie was one all spring, whether backing up Moe at the H or filling in for Waters at the Y. Already a senior, McGaffie's hungry to make an impression above and beyond his kickoff return against Oklahoma two years ago. "I wasn’t going to let them give up on me because I'm coming out to work everyday," he said. "I'm trying to prove to them that I need to be out on the field so I can showcase my abilities."

Marcus Murphy, tailback: Murphy sat out last season after undergoing shoulder surgery. The Tigers barely missed him as Henry Josey put on a show the first two and a half months of the season—up until the point his knee exploded against Texas. In the first week of practices, Murphy tried convincing me he could have a similar breakthrough this fall, which sounds crazy … until you watched him saw through the No. 1 defense Saturday, much like Josey did to most opponents last season. "A lot of people say, 'We won't be all this in the SEC. The Big 12 is not like the SEC,'" Murphy told me a few weeks back. "So, we just got a point to prove to a lot of people."

Missouri's defense was missing a couple key returning players, both projected starters on the line, tackle Sheldon Richardson and end Brad Madison. Young players emerged at both positions this spring, but questions will linger over the defensive line throughout fall camp and into the season.

Missouri's thin defensive line, especially up the middle, is going to wear down too easily against all those brutish running games in the SEC, right? Here's something I came across while crunching some numbers. Missouri's seven new opponents in the SEC (Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Kentucky) averaged 38.1 rushing attempts a game last year. South Carolina and Georgia ran it more than 40 times a game. Last year's nine Big 12 opponents averaged 40.1 rushing attempts per game, with five averaging more than 40 attempts per game, with three running more than 45 times a game: Texas, Kansas State and Kansas. On average, teams ran more plays in the Big 12, where the no-huddle is more prevalent, as seven Big 12 teams ran more than 950 plays from scrimmage, compared to just one in the SEC, Georgia at 1,016. (Georgia and LSU played 14 games, while the most anyone played in the Big 12 was 13. Still, Big 12 teams averaged 76.2 plays per game last year; the SEC teams averaged 65.5 plays.)

What am I getting at? Maybe lacking excessive depth across the D-line won't hurt Missouri as much some think. The Missouri defense figures to be on the field for fewer plays in the SEC and defenders have more time between snaps to catch their breath. Maybe some of those differences in style will mitigate any depth issues the Tigers have along the front four.

Then again, Missouri gets back one big piece of that front four come August. Richardson posted this on Twitter and Facebook shortly after the Black and & Gold Game: " … had fun watchin the boys get after each other but know DADDY'S back for summer and fall camp"

While the Tigers wait on DADDY to return, here are a few who jumped into the spotlight this spring:

Shane Ray, defensive end: The redshirt freshman breezed past offensive tackles in some of the scrimmages, looking every bit like a capable third-down edge rusher on passing situations. Ray cracked the 240s and expects to be in the 250s by fall camp. Too skinny for the SEC? Tell that to LSU All-American defensive end Sam Montgomery, who was listed at 245 last season. Or his counterpart on the Tigers' D-line, 240-pound Barkevious Mingo.

Matt Hoch, defensive tackle: Missouri defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski does not gush. I'm willing to guarantee he's never been described in print as giving a player "effusive praise." He can sniff out a glowing profile story a mile away, and is always quick to diffuse the hosannas. But when I asked him about Hoch a few weeks ago, Kul noticeably perked up. He'd found a D-tackle right under his nose at D-end.

"He’s playing his best football now since he’s been here," Kuligowski said of Hoch, who played tight end in 2010 and defensive end last year. "You play defensive end you occasionally get a double team. You play defensive tackle you get a double team every other play. He’s got to learn how to be an inside player, how to play low, how to play with strength. He’s pretty relentless to the ball, which is great and one of the reasons why he was able to move to that position."

After passing Burge on the depth chart, Hoch played with the starters the rest of the spring. He'll likely move to second team once Richardson returns but should find himself in a steady rotation.

Kenronte Walker, safety: Missouri has a mix of candidates at safety but only one senior, Walker. He's become more than a de-facto leader of the group. For new safeties coach Alex Grinch, Walker's presence was valuable this spring. "He’s a guy who’s embraced a leadership role," Grinch said. "He’s not a heavy talker by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s a guy who has the want-to to be a good player. The guys recognize that. I’ve recognized that up to this point. And he’s had a really good spring."

baitism
04-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Unless SR has a disappointing year, I can't see him coming back for 2013.

Pitt Gorilla
04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Clay Rhodes, the top HS football player in the state of Kansas, named a top 3 of Mizzou, Okie Lite, and Arizona State.

Love it.

Bowser
04-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Clay Rhodes, the top HS football player in the state of Kansas, named a top 3 of Mizzou, Okie Lite, and Arizona State.

Love it.

Unpossible. I learned from Kevin Keitzman that no Kansas kid would have the audacity to potentially choose Mizzou as his destination school. Big XII Leftover pride, and all.

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Unpossible. I learned from Kevin Keitzman that no Kansas kid would have the audacity to potentially choose Mizzou as his destination school. Big XII Leftover pride, and all.KK is a complete idiot. He tends to get confused between what he wants to happen and reality.

Regarding Rhodes, if he was to pick Mizzou, MU would be building an insanely-talent O-line for the future.

Saul Good
04-29-2012, 09:07 AM
KK is a complete idiot. He tends to get confused between what he wants to happen and reality.

Regarding Rhodes, if he was to pick Mizzou, MU would be building an insanely-talent O-line for the future.

He's picking Mizzou.

eazyb81
04-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Excellent Mizzou publicity from the KC Star.

Kansas City is clearly a Mizzou town.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/29/3583506/mu-football-not-losing-ground.html

Posted on Sun, Apr. 29, 2012
MU football not losing ground in KC-area recruiting

Tigers’ area football recruiting hasn’t been affected by move to the SEC — except maybe in a good way.

By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

Clay Rhodes grew tired of the recruiting process weeks ago. The letters, the calls … it’s all been so exhausting.

That’s part of the reason Rhodes, a three-star offensive tackle at Blue Valley High School, intends to make a college decision this week. Several schools covet the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Rhodes, but after months of deliberation, the senior-to-be announced Saturday that he’s narrowed his choices to Missouri and Oklahoma State.

And while Rhodes insists he’s not sure which school he’ll pick, he said Missouri’s move to the Southeastern Conference doesn’t hurt its chances.

“I’m one of those guys that like challenges,” Rhodes said, “and it’s definitely a challenge playing the big guys down there in Alabama, Georgia and Florida. You’re going against five-star, four-star defensive ends every game, and you can prove you can compete in the NFL. Every young football player dreams of that.”

Rhodes isn’t the only prospect from either the Kansas City area or the state of Missouri to fall in love with that concept.

As of Sunday, Missouri has landed nine commitments to the Class of 2013, and all but one is an in-state prospect. Three are from the Kansas City area. If they all stick, the Tigers will have their biggest in-state haul since 2009, when they secured 10 Missouri commitments before signing day.

The Tigers’ red-hot start has eliminated any concerns about whether the SEC move would affect local recruiting. Signing day is still 10 months away, and the coaching staff — led by receivers coach Andy Hill and offensive/recruiting coordinator David Yost — has not forgotten about its February pledge to recruit Kansas City.

“Yeah, there are some guys who say it is Big 12 country and all that stuff,” Hill said on signing day. “But Missouri is still Missouri. And we’re still going to be recruiting guys in Kansas City. We’re going to recruit guys in the state of Kansas.

“There are a lot of unknowns going to the SEC. But we do know we’re going. We still have a lot of advantages.”

Ones that have come into focus the last few months.

In addition to nabbing two of the Kansas City area’s top 2012 prospects in Lee’s Summit West offensive lineman Evan Boehm and Staley running back Morgan Steward, Missouri has secured commitments from three of the area’s best 2013 prospects in Staley quarterback Trent Hosick, Lee’s Summit West linebacker Nick Ramirez and Hogan Prep cornerback Anthony Sherrils.

Sherrils, a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, committed early to Missouri, which was his first offer. Ramirez and Hosick had offers from Big 12 schools Kansas and Kansas State and others. They spurned them for the chance to measure themselves against the best at Mizzou.

Hosick and Ramirez, in particular, did it in style. Once Hosick sat down with his brother and decided, he called up his buddy Ramirez and made a request.

“I gave him all my reasons for committing,” said Hosick, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound dual-threat quarterback, “and I asked him to commit with me.”

Ramirez, a hard-hitting 6-foot-1, 228-pound four-star linebacker, could not find fault in Hosick’s logic — Mizzou was close to home and there’s no doubting the SEC’s pedigree. On the morning of April 14, the day of the Black & Gold game, they said they would become Tigers.

Ramirez said Missouri has a great coaching staff and he has a lot of friends on the team. But as much as he loves the school, he’s not sure he would have committed if it weren’t for the move to the nation’s most prestigious football conference.

“I don’t think I would have played in the Big 12,” said Ramirez, who chose Missouri over Nebraska and Iowa. “I wanted to play in the Big Ten or SEC, because I feel I’m that type of linebacker. When Missouri moved to the SEC, it just set them apart.”

But while the SEC move is clearly attractive to prospects, Ramirez said it’s important not to undervalue the Dorial Green-Beckham factor when considering reasons for the fast recruiting start.

DGB, as he’s become to be called, was the nation’s top-ranked 2012 recruit, a 6-foot-6, 220-pound Randy Moss clone from Springfield who could have gone to any school he wanted — and chose Missouri.

Recruits noticed.

“It’s definitely kind of cool to get an offer from the place where the No. 1 prospect went last year,” Rhodes said. “I ate lunch with him on one of my unofficial visits; he’s a great guy that knows how to sell the program.”
Ramirez agreed.

“When he picked Mizzou, it showed that he believed in the team and he wanted to make a name here and be the reason something special happens,” said Ramirez, one of MU’s two four-star commitments for 2013 along with Fort Zumwalt South running back Chase Abbington. “That’s something we all want to do.”

Both Rhodes and Rockhurst offensive tackle Zach Hannon say players who’ve already committed to Mizzou are gently working on them and extolling the virtues of joining the family.

“Trent told me his goal is to prove that Kansas and Missouri kids can win a national title,” Rhodes said of Hosick, whom he calls a friend. “That’s his goal, and it would be an unbelievable feat.”

Hannon, a 6-foot-5, 295-pounder who projects as a guard, comes from a Missouri family — his mother, father and grandmother went there — but is every bit as intrigued by the chance to join a recruiting class that could be the Tigers’ best in years.

“It weighs heavy on my decision,” Hannon said. “I know every single one of these guys, so I’m like ‘Wow, why not commit, these are all my friends?’ I have to look at what’s best for me, but it’s definitely a deciding factor.”

Hannon is friends with LS West defensive end Jamone Boyd, a 6-foot-4, 250-pounder, and said that the two have flirted with the idea of committing to the same school at the same time, like Hosick and Ramirez.

“I talked to him about it (Friday),” Hannon said. “We have the same top schools, except for one. We’re both possibly waiting on other offers, but that’s what we were talking about.”

Hannon expects to make a decision this summer, but Rhodes can’t make his soon enough.

Rhodes’ father isn’t sure which school his son will pick, but he does know conference affiliation could be a factor.

“That’s something we’ve discussed,” Randy Rhodes said. “Kids work so hard … it would be frustrating if conference realignment made it more difficult for that to happen for a kid that spends five years at a school.”

He acknowledged travel is an issue, noting the faraway schools in the SEC East.

“But the stability of the SEC,” he said, “and the opportunity to measure each week outweigh any concerns about that.”

Besides, Oklahoma State is his son’s other finalist, and while Stillwater is five hours away from Kansas City, Columbia is only two. That’s something Randy Rhodes is thinking about more than Clay, who is primarily concerned with the coaching staff and his chances of going pro.

“The main thing the coaching staff said to me is that the true big dogs go to the SEC,” Clay said. “I like that a lot.”

And if you think a kid with NFL aspirations wasn’t watching the NFL Draft, where 42 SEC players were selected — leading the nation for the sixth straight year — think again. No one knows how Missouri will fare on the field in its new conference come the fall, but when it comes to recruiting, it’s safe to say the Tigers are doing just fine.

“I did make a mental check of it,” Rhodes said of the NFL Draft, “and I said to myself, ‘Man, that could be me.’ You never know.”

Al Bundy
04-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Anyone that REALLY thought MU moving to the SEC was going to hurt KC area recruiting was just being butthurt.

Frazod
04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Anyone that REALLY thought MU moving to the SEC was going to hurt KC area recruiting was just being butthurt.

To be fair, some of them are just retarded.

kepp
04-30-2012, 08:40 AM
To be fair, some of them are just retarded.

I wonder how much $$ ku wasted on those billboards in KC?

duncan_idaho
04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Rhodes is a tremendous athlete with great size. He reminds me a lot of Reilly Reiff, the Iowa tackle, in terms of where he was as a high school player. (Huge, athletic, tons of room for improvement).

He's going to be a nice addition to this class.

As for recruiting in KC... Missouri has become the big dog of the local schools in terms of football recruiting. It's going to take something extra (family connections, lifelong allegiance, positional fit, etc) for Mizzou to lose out to KU or KSU on a KC kid the Tigers really want.

The only really high-profile kid they've "lost" to KU/KSU in recent years was Keeston Terry, and that was because Missouri didn't have room for him. He was begging to be allowed to commit, but Marcus Lucas took the last spot for a WR in that class.

Something like 90 percent of kids with offers from both Kansas and Missouri have chosen Mizzou over the past decade. That's only going to continue. Being able to sell the exclusivity of the SEC to Missouri kids is a pretty awesome weapon.

1) It instantly makes Mizzou more "big-time" in the eyes of many kids. See Nick Ramirez's comments in the Terez Paylor article. That is a huge, huge factor. Guys like Ronnie Wingo, Aron White, the DT from Rockbridge a few years back, Ondre Pipkins have gone elsewhere because it was more "big-time."

2) It takes away the main weapon a school like Arkansas can use against Mizzou: "Come play in the SEC, with the big boys" and gives Mizzou the same weapon when recruiting kids from Iowa, Kansas and Illinois. "Come play close to home, in the SEC, with the big boys!" It's working with Rhodes. They're trying it out on Iowa kids.

I'd really like to see them make a bigger push for a lot of Illinois kids. There's quite a bit of talent in that state, and I think they can get a few kids a year from this pitch. They have much better chances to snag high profile kids from those states than they do of landing a 4-star from Tampa, IMO.

If Franklin is healthy for the 2012 season and Missouri reaches its potential, it really can be a catapaulting step for the Tigers.

Frazod
04-30-2012, 08:49 AM
I wonder how much $$ ku wasted on those billboards in KC?

They should put up some more. LMAO

Saul Good
04-30-2012, 09:00 AM
That article was badass.

KChiefs1
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
That article was badass.

duncan_idaho
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM

The comments sections are pretty hilarious. "The recruiting drop-off, it's coming! No one ever said it would be immediate!"

Um, yeah. Lots of people did.

Saul Good
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
The comments sections are pretty hilarious. "The recruiting drop-off, it's coming! No one ever said it would be immediate!"

Um, yeah. Lots of people did.

I liked the guy who kept calling the SEC "SECond rate". I guess 3 basketball titles and 6 football titles in the last 6 years isn't enough to be considered big time.

It really is amazing how pissed off some people still are.

DJ's left nut
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
The Wickedson is strong in those comments...

It really is pretty funny seeing those fellas contort themselves to piss on this move.

Saul Good
04-30-2012, 09:58 AM
It's interesting to see people talk about stability, but it makes sense. When you're talking about 2013 recruits, they may be at the school until 2017. Coaches can pretend the Big XII is stable, but no sane person is convinced that it won't lose more teams between now and 2017.

Look at the class of graduating seniors today. When they were Freshmen, things seemed stable. Now, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and Mizzou are in 4 different conferences.

Meanwhile, there. Are only 10 teams left in the conference which now covers 5 states instead of 7. 6 of the teams are afterthoughts in their own state. Hell, outside the state of Texas, there isn't a top 40 metro area within the conference's footprint.

Kids and their families have gotten more savvy, and coaches are going to use this as a weapon to beat the lesser members (everyone but Texas and Oklahoma) of the Big XII down on the recruiting trail.

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
The move to the SEC allowed us to land Ramirez. That certainly doesn't end the argument, but it's a pretty solid shot.

Saul Good
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
The move to the SEC allowed us to land Ramirez. That certainly doesn't end the argument, but it's a pretty solid shot.

It certainly helped us put up that fence around our state. (Sounds like we may have gotten an easement in to Eastern Kansas as well.) I hope they don't mind that our new fence went a little over the state line.

duncan_idaho
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
It certainly helped us put up that fence around our state. (Sounds like we may have gotten an easement in to Eastern Kansas as well.) I hope they don't mind that our new fence went a little over the state line.

Here's hoping it helps expand the fences to include Iowa and Illinois.

They're never going to get many kids who grew up as died-in-the-wool Hawkeye/Cyclone fans, but they can compete for the others.

Chicago kids don't have that much allegiance to Illinois/Northwestern, either. Definite opportunity.

Frazod
04-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Chicago kids don't have that much allegiance to Illinois/Northwestern, either. Definite opportunity.

I see very few people wearing gear for either of these schools. While it's pretty obvious Chicago is more about pro teams than college, I'd say the most popular college teams up here are Notre Dame, Michigan and Iowa.

duncan_idaho
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I see very few people wearing gear for either of these schools. While it's pretty obvious Chicago is more about pro teams than college, I'd say the most popular college teams up here are Notre Dame, Michigan and Iowa.

Gotta kick Iowa out of that equation.

Would help if Notre Dame continues its suckitude.

Frazod
04-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Gotta kick Iowa out of that equation.

Would help if Notre Dame continues its suckitude.

The amount of Iowa stuff I see, both in Chicago and the suburbs, has increased dramatically over the past couple of years. Certainly helps keep my Gabbert hate fresh. :mad:

Frazod
04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
I would also add that I see very little Mizzou stuff up here, and not much Big XII/SEC at all. I did notice a couple of cartoon chickens during the end of March, but nothing since.

There's a truck I see parked in the train station parking lot that has both KU and OU stickers on the back glass. I really should key it one of these days.

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
You want awesome?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c_-yVXgnDTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Linda Wallace has never been to prom.

As a senior at Fayette High School, Linda's teacher, Bridget Hussey, wanted her to go. So Hussey thought to herself, "What would make Linda dance?"

Linda, who suffers from cerebral palsy, loves Mizzou Football. One simple phone call landed two dates to remember: wide receiver T.J. Moe and quarterback Corbin Berkstresser.

The two instantly agreed to escort Linda and surprised her Saturday night. Linda dressed in black, with Tiger nail polish, matching her two Tiger dates. The three were announced in front of the town at Fayette, took plenty of pictures, and of course, danced the night away at prom.

Al Bundy
04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I would also add that I see very little Mizzou stuff up here, and not much Big XII/SEC at all. I did notice a couple of cartoon chickens during the end of March, but nothing since.

There's a truck I see parked in the train station parking lot that has both KU and OU stickers on the back glass. I really should key it one of these days.

You should key it.

KcMizzou
04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
You want awesome?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c_-yVXgnDTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Linda Wallace has never been to prom.

As a senior at Fayette High School, Linda's teacher, Bridget Hussey, wanted her to go. So Hussey thought to herself, "What would make Linda dance?"

Linda, who suffers from cerebral palsy, loves Mizzou Football. One simple phone call landed two dates to remember: wide receiver T.J. Moe and quarterback Corbin Berkstresser.

The two instantly agreed to escort Linda and surprised her Saturday night. Linda dressed in black, with Tiger nail polish, matching her two Tiger dates. The three were announced in front of the town at Fayette, took plenty of pictures, and of course, danced the night away at prom.Very cool, fellas.

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Very cool, fellas.Allergies are flaring up a bit.

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Spoon bringing it at a charity event.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4iyokDyCZg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
There is a rumor going around that we may not be out of the running for Ezekiel Elliot.