PDA

View Full Version : Football Vikings reach new stadium deal. LA told to go fuck itself

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Plan would put new Vikings stadium near Metrodome
By PATRICK CONDON, Associated Press – 1 hour ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton, political leaders and the Minnesota Vikings unveiled a proposal Thursday to build a $975 million stadium for the team in downtown Minneapolis and called for quick action on the plan before the Legislature adjourns this spring.

The plan would put the new building nearly on top of the current Metrodome site. It calls for $398 million from the state, $150 million from the city and $427 million from the Vikings for upfront construction costs.

The state's share would come from an expansion of pulltab gambling games to add an electronic version, while Minneapolis' share would come from redirecting existing convention center and hospitality taxes.

"Now the real work begins," Dayton said.

The plan was rolled out at a Capitol news conference with Dayton joined by top legislators and team owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. Dayton has pressed for action on a new Vikings stadium for months, fearful that the team may leave the state without it as the Lakers did long ago.

"This is an exciting day, because the dream of keeping the Minnesota Vikings here for generations to come is close at hand," Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said.
Still, the Vikings' Metrodome lease has expired, and though they will play next season there, their future in the state is not assured.

Dayton and political leaders have touted the project as a "people's stadium," to be used by colleges and high schools and for special events. Dayton said it would create jobs, too: as many as 8,000 construction jobs, 5,000 related jobs for suppliers and others, and 2,000 permanent jobs after that.

Supporters said the Vikings' share of the stadium costs would amount to just over half because the team would commit to paying some operational costs over time. But much of the money for those costs would likely come from stadium revenues earmarked for the team, and the proposal outlined Thursday gave no details on revenue distributions.

The Vikings have lagged at the bottom of the league in annual revenue in recent years at the Metrodome, which opened in 1982 as the quintessential multipurpose facility. The dome was always functional over fancy and despite excellent sight lines for fans in most seats for football games, the concourses are cramped, the decor is drab and the amenities are outdated. The Vikings have been asking for public subsidies for a new stadium for more than a decade, citing their need to be sufficiently profitable in the annual $10 billion business that is the NFL. A snowstorm that caused a roof collapse on Dec. 12, 2010, put that plea in sharper focus.

But the economic downturn in recent years put the team's quest in deeper trouble, too, particularly after Republicans gained control of the Minnesota Legislature at the start of 2011, forcing stadium supporters to abandon any financing schemes based on state or local tax increases.

Several different proposals and deals have fallen apart over the years. Just in the last few months, a suburban project in Arden Hills was scuttled by political complications and limited funding options. Another plan to build on the west end of downtown Minneapolis was derailed after leadership at a Catholic church balked at the potential of nearby construction and disrupted Sunday mornings.

That left the current Metrodome site, on the east edge of downtown.
Any stadium deal that involves money from Minneapolis faces a big hurdle to clear with the city council. While Mayor R.T. Rybak and Council President Barbara Johnson have been enthusiastic supporters, other members have remained skeptical about diverting city resources to a privately owned sports franchise.

Council members cite a provision, approved by voters in 1997, that prohibits the city spending more than $10 million on a pro sports project unless it's approved by a public vote. For the new plan to work, that provision will likely have to be overridden by the Legislature since a majority of council members had previously been on the record in support of it.

If the deal can survive Minneapolis politics, that still leaves a heavy lift to get majority support in the state House and Senate. A stadium bill would likely be vetted by multiple committees, some of which are chaired by tax and spending skeptics. GOP leaders, particularly House Speaker Kurt Zellers, have refused to assign the same urgency to a stadium vote this year as the project's supporters would like.

Last month, Dayton criticized unidentified lawmakers for what he said was a reluctance to vote on a stadium bill this year and a desire to wait until after this fall's election. Dayton encouraged a vote in the current session, which must end by April 30, but nothing requires lawmakers to act this year.
The NFL would also have to approve any stadium deal since part of the Vikings' share would likely come from a league funding program to help build new facilities around the NFL.

For years, Vikings fans have pondered the threat of losing their beloved, bedeviling team, which began in 1961, if the Metrodome isn't eventually replaced. Minnesota sports fans know all about losing professional franchises; the Lakers moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s and became an NBA powerhouse. The NHL's North Stars left for Dallas in 1993.

For now, though, the threat of the Vikings actually leaving is a mild one. The team has refused to acknowledge interest in moving while confirming previous contact from interested groups including developers in Los Angeles. Stadium projects there are planned but not under way without the promise of a new team; the NFL's deadline for relocation application already passed for 2012, and Commissioner Roger Goodell recently stressed the league's desire to put an expansion team in Los Angeles rather than one in an existing market.

FringeNC
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
It's all about the luxury boxes.

L.A. Chieffan
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
keep your shitty viqueens

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Oh, and inb4 "THAT DOESN'T MEAN THE DEAL PASSED YET"

vailpass
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Nobody wants LA. Good deal for the NFL, the city of MSP and for the Vikings

Graystoke
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
If the Vikings ever EVER EVER want to be a contender again they need TO PLAY OUTSIDE.

Predarat
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM
It would be tough to fit bullet proof vests under all that football gear. Though that could creat a home field advantage for the LA team.

notorious
03-01-2012, 11:51 AM
JFC, a $975 million dollar stadium in Minny is like a 2 billion stadium in NY.

That place is going to be amazing.

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM
keep your shitty viqueensAww bro come on don't be that way. I didn't say LA should go fuck itself. Mark Dayton did.

qabbaan
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Stadiums are about making money - luxury boxes, bars, restaurants, personal seat licenses, drawing in the upper crust while the hardhat fans get priced out.

This is why I doubt we will see many outdoor stadiums being built. Harder to sell tickets in winter. Poor weather is more likely to keep casual fans away. Casual fans spend more money once they are in the gate than die hard fans. Die Hards are at every game, they eat and liquor up outside and don't spend much inside. They want the corporate wannabe crowd, eating steaks and buying mixed drinks and overpriced souviniers, sitting in seat they could never afford but their company has a block of.

Doubtful there will be any stadiums like Arrowhead in the future

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Raiders back to Los Angeles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Graystoke
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Stadiums are about making money - luxury boxes, bars, restaurants, personal seat licenses, drawing in the upper crust while the hardhat fans get priced out.

This is why I doubt we will see many outdoor stadiums being built. Harder to sell tickets in winter. Poor weather is more likely to keep casual fans away. Casual fans spend more money once they are in the gate than die hard fans. Die Hards are at every game, they eat and liquor up outside and don't spend much inside. They want the corporate wannabe crowd, eating steaks and buying mixed drinks and overpriced souviniers, sitting in seat they could never afford but their company has a block of.

Doubtful there will be any stadiums like Arrowhead in the future

True.
What is Green Bays Advantage?

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Also, has anybody ever been to downtown Minneapolis?

That place is a fucking clusterfuck of rape and traffic. It doesn't help that in one single downtown area, they have Target Field where the Twins play, the Target Center where the Wolves play, and now this brand spanking new stadium will be the new home of the Vikings.

Overly cramped streets that intersect with one another. Buttfuck tons of people. Three stadiums. And no parking.

Awesome.

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
True.
What is Green Bays Advantage?Nobody in Wisconsin can afford luxury box seats, so they didn't build any.

HolyHandgernade
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
L.A. is going to get the Chargers as soon as they get the stadium plans finalized.

qabbaan
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Don't know the area well but if the new stadium will be where the Metronome is now, that is completely at the other end of downtown from the baseball and basketball stadiums. Parking should be the same as today then wouldnt it?

vailpass
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Also, has anybody ever been to downtown Minneapolis?

That place is a ****ing cluster**** of rape and traffic. It doesn't help that in one single downtown area, they have Target Field where the Twins play, the Target Center where the Wolves play, and now this brand spanking new stadium will be the new home of the Vikings.

Overly cramped streets that intersect with one another. Butt**** tons of people. Three stadiums. And no parking.

Awesome.

Huh? MSP is one of the nicest, most progressive cities in the US. Maybe if you are from a smaller town it seems crowded.

Graystoke
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Huh? MSP is one of the nicest, most progressive cities in the US. Maybe if you are from a smaller town it seems crowded.

I have to agree with Vailpass here...I love downtown MPS

RealSNR
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Huh? MSP is one of the nicest, most progressive cities in the US. Maybe if you are from a smaller town it seems crowded.I love Minneapolis, don't get me wrong. It's just a city that wasn't planned out very well.

bevischief
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
They where never going to leave.

vailpass
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I love Minneapolis, don't get me wrong. It's just a city that wasn't planned out very well.

Got ya'. It's just that I have a thing for lesbians and live music and MSP has them both :)

bevischief
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I love Minneapolis, don't get me wrong. It's just a city that wasn't planned out very well.

Totally agree with that.

Graystoke
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Got ya'. It's just that I have a thing for lesbians and live music and MSP has them both :)

You calling Prince a Lesbian?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V4jMaQCQxiY/TbmFprADIMI/AAAAAAAABkA/fUEiETH5vQc/s1600/Prince_CV4625961_400.jpg

whoman69
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Despite assurances from the new owner, its going to be Jax that moves to LA. We already have a rename the Jags thread...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253090

whoman69
03-01-2012, 02:10 PM
You calling Prince a Lesbian?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V4jMaQCQxiY/TbmFprADIMI/AAAAAAAABkA/fUEiETH5vQc/s1600/Prince_CV4625961_400.jpg

I just think he'll jump on anything that moves. He was Johnny Depp before Depp was Depp.

Phobia
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I think it's great that the team is putting in just as much money as the state but my own personal policy is that any organization that pays most it's employees in 7, 8, and 9 figures doesn't really need public assistance to build facilities. Not only that but the state intends to pay their portion of the bill with added lottery options. On whom does the lottery prey?

mnchiefsguy
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Downtown is a complete cluster to get around there though, unless you are a native and are used to it. When we first moved to the Twin Cities, I had to go downtown for a work seminar...and found myself completely lost on the corner of 4th street....and 4th street. Very tough to navigate down there....although downtown St. Paul is not as bad as downtown Mpls.

whoman69
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I went there for a convention a few years ago. Didn't seem that difficult to get around, but we were walking distance from the hotel to the place where the convention was. I did notice a lack of place to eat downtown.

qabbaan
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I think it's great that the team is putting in just as much money as the state but my own personal policy is that any organization that pays most it's employees in 7, 8, and 9 figures doesn't really need public assistance to build facilities. Not only that but the state intends to pay their portion of the bill with added lottery options. On whom does the lottery prey?

On the stupid.

(you are right of course, it's the poor. but at least it's entirely voluntary)