PDA

View Full Version : Football And here come the Franchise Tags...

Carlota69
03-01-2012, 04:29 PM
The 2012 franchise tags
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2012, 10:39 AM EST

Raiders: Safety Tyvon Branch. (Not signed yet.)

Eagles: Receiver DeSean Jackson. (Not signed yet.)

Falcons: Cornerback Brent Grimes. (Not signed yet.)

Redskins: Tight end Fred Davis. (Not signed yet.)

Ravens: Running back Ray Rice. (Not signed yet.)

49ers: Safety Dashon Goldson. (Not signed yet.)

Bears: Running back Matt Forte. (Not signed yet.)

Cardinals: Defensive end Calais Campbell. (Not signed yet.)

Bengals: Kicker Mike Nugent. (Not signed yet.)

Browns: Kicker Phil Dawson. (Not signed yet.)

Saints: Quarterback Drew Brees. (Not signed yet.)

Lions: Defensive end Cliff Avril. (Not signed yet.)

Jaguars: Kicker Josh Scobee. (Not signed yet.)

Broncos: Kicker Matt Prater. (Not signed yet.)

Titans: Safety Michael Griffin. (Not signed yet.)

Patriots: Receiver Wes Welker. (Not signed yet.)

Cowboys: Linebacker Anthony Spencer. (Not signed yet.)

Buccaneers: Kicker Connor Barth. (Not signed yet.)

Giants: Punter Steve Weatherford. (Not signed yet.)

Chiefs: Receiver Dwayne Bowe. (Not signed yet.)

Colts: Defensive end Robert Mathis. (Not signed yet.)

First franchise tag goes to DeSean Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
DeSean Jackson AP

On the 11th day, the first franchise tag rested. On the shoulders of No. 10.

The Eagles announced on Thursday afternoon the placement of their franchise tender on receiver DeSean Jackson.

“We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step in the right direction to accomplish that,” said Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman said. “DeSean is a talented player and a proven playmaker in this league and we look forward to him continuing his career in Philadelphia. It’s our understanding that he has the same desire. We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him.”

The move comes as no surprise. The Eagles weren’t going to let Jackson walk away without compensation. Now, they can try to trade him to a team that would be willing to give Jackson a long-term deal. Or the Eagles can sign him to an acceptable long-term deal.

Jackson’s size and history of injuries (specifically concussions) continue to complicate the assessment of his value. If/when he’s signed to a multi-year deal with significant guaranteed money, the injury risk shifts to the team. Until then, the risk remains with Jackson.

With or without a long-term deal, Jackson will be eligible for a one-year, guaranteed contract that will pay him roughly $9.4 million in 2012. The Eagles can rescind the offer at any time before Jackson signs it — a fact worth keeping in mind, given that the Eagles in the past have stripped the tag from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and defensive tackle Corey Simon.

Given that Jackson made only $600,000 in 2011, the final season of a four-year slotted rookie deal for a second-round pick, he should run even faster to sign the tender than he did when he returned that punt against the Giants. The only problem is that, once he signs the tender, he loses his leverage. If he doesn’t sign he’s not under contract and he can hold out. If he signs, he’d be subject to stiff daily penalties if he skips mandatory offseason workouts and/or training camp practices.

Of course, with a guaranteed salary of $9.4 million coming, he can more easily afford the fines.

Carlota69
03-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Michael Bush will be available?

Tyvon Branch to get the franchise tag
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
Chicago Bears v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

New Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie is currently in slash-and-burn mode. But there are some Raiders that he wants to keep.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that safety Tyvon Branch has been informed he will receive the franchise tag. DeSean Jackson was the first player this year to officially get the tag on Thursday.

We’d argue that Branch is the best player in the Raiders secondary. The franchise number for safeties is relatively reasonable (under $7 million), so the move makes sense. This eliminates any consideration of Michael Bush for the tag.

It raises some question about whether the Raiders will retain safety Michael Huff, who is due to make $8 million in 2012. $4 million is guaranteed for Huff, so we’d guess that the team will keep Huff. (We also would have guessed the team would keep Kamerion Wimbley. And that’s not looking too likely.)

Branch is a ferocious hitter than can cover a lot of ground. Raiders fans don’t seem overly impressed with McKenzie’s moves so far, but we suspect they will like this one. They should.

Frazod
03-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Damn, I thought you'd convinced the mods to bring back tags! :cuss:

O.city
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking we tag Bowe here pretty soon. Like tomorrow.

whoman69
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Monday at the latest. Pretty pathetic that Pioli can't get a deal done with him and Carr with all the cap room. Sounds like he's going to let Carr walk. Big mistake IMO.

Fritz88
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Although the WR market is quite saturated this offseason, this move by the Eagles will make Bowe an even more hot commodity.

Fritz88
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM

I think we will sign him.

O.city
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I think we will sign him.

I don't think we will. If we were gonna sign him, whats taking so long?

Messier
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Monday at the latest. Pretty pathetic that Pioli can't get a deal done with him and Carr with all the cap room. Sounds like he's going to let Carr walk. Big mistake IMO.

This has been covered, but with Pioli's good history of signing in house players, I'm of the belief Carr wants top CB money, and it would be silly and bad business to pay top dollar to two CBs. The Chiefs have a lot of money, but that doesn't mean let's foolishly put huge chunks in one position, ala Philly.

BossChief
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think he signs until we make a move at quarterback.

The Franchise
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Part of me believes that was one of Bowe's demands. Get me real QB or I sign somewhere else.

Stanley Nickels
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
This has been covered, but with Pioli's good history of signing in house players, I'm of the belief Carr wants top CB money, and it would be silly and bad business to pay top dollar to two CBs. The Chiefs have a lot of money, but that doesn't mean let's foolishly put huge chunks in one position, ala Philly.
Couldn't agree with you more. As long as the Chiefs do spend- and it seems that they want to with all the press conferences they've been requesting- there's no reason to pay a #2 CB top money. In this pass-first league, though it seems counterintuitive, that money is better spent on a top tier pass rusher for the weak side. They better spend, though: now is our time to do so.

Stanley Nickels
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Part of me believes that was one of Bowe's demands. Get me real QB or I sign someone else.

GM Bowe would sign a badass QB

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora Close
Brees, Rice, Forte, M. Lynch, C. Campbell, Welker will be franchised barring new contracts. Prater, Scobee very likely, too. And a bunch...

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora Close
Of WRs - V. Jackson, S. Johnson, Bowe, for example - are in limbo and not sure if they will get tagged or not

the Talking Can
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Michael Bush will be available?

Tyvon Branch to get the franchise tag
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
Chicago Bears v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

New Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie is currently in slash-and-burn mode. But there are some Raiders that he wants to keep.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that safety Tyvon Branch has been informed he will receive the franchise tag. DeSean Jackson was the first player this year to officially get the tag on Thursday.

We’d argue that Branch is the best player in the Raiders secondary. The franchise number for safeties is relatively reasonable (under $7 million), so the move makes sense. This eliminates any consideration of Michael Bush for the tag.

It raises some question about whether the Raiders will retain safety Michael Huff, who is due to make $8 million in 2012. $4 million is guaranteed for Huff, so we’d guess that the team will keep Huff. (We also would have guessed the team would keep Kamerion Wimbley. And that’s not looking too likely.)

Branch is a ferocious hitter than can cover a lot of ground. Raiders fans don’t seem overly impressed with McKenzie’s moves so far, but we suspect they will like this one. They should.

man Bush would be a perfect #2 in KC, and free up a draft pick for us...

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Titans are "likely" to place the franchise tag on free agent CB Cortland Finnegan after all.
The Titans never engaged in serious long-term talks with Finnegan, and all previous indications pointed toward the organization letting their top corner walk. The Rams and Cowboys were expected to be among Finnegan's most fervent suitors. Under the tag, Finnegan would earn roughly $10.5 million in 2012. Free agent CB Brandon Carr's stock is on the rise as perhaps the top corner available.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefterReply
Retweet
Falcons will place the Franchise Tag on CB Brent Grimes.

Carr's value just went sky high

RUSH
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Part of me believes that was one of Bowe's demands. Get me real QB or I sign somewhere else.

I think you're giving him too much credit.

2nd contract and pretty much all contracts are all about the $$$. This is likely going to be his biggest pay day for the rest of his life and he wants to cash in. I don't think the qb situation matters much, if at all.

I think the qb situation will start to matter towards the end of his 2nd contract so he can cash in again. And if a qb is holding him back then he's going to get frustrated.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Couldn't agree with you more. As long as the Chiefs do spend- and it seems that they want to with all the press conferences they've been requesting- there's no reason to pay a #2 CB top money. In this pass-first league, though it seems counterintuitive, that money is better spent on a top tier pass rusher for the weak side. They better spend, though: now is our time to do so.

IMO, Carr is a #1 CB and outplayed Flowers last season.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
IMO, Carr is a #1 CB and outplayed Flowers last season.

He outplayed him on the number 2 wr lets see what he does on the number 1 100% of the time. Carr last year was on the number 1 about 15%

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefsandO'sfan;8411847

Carr's value just went sky high[/QUOTE]

We need to tag/tender or figure out a way how to include Carr in a package deal for the Rams #2 pick...

Is that possible?

Hoover
03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Scott needs to sign Dwayne Bowe today. Pay the man, so we can tagg Carr's ass.

bricks
03-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Can they afford to keep him? That's what I'm thinking about.

They sure do have the cap space to take on Mannings contract, and if Manning goes to KC, I think Wayne follows him.

I do think they are going to take a run at Solai as well. That's three big contracts right there in Manning, Wayne and Solai. Plus, they need money for the draft as well. I'm not sure if they can afford to keep Bowe? Look at all the cap space the rest of those other players are going to take up.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
He outplayed him on the number 2 wr lets see what he does on the number 1 100% of the time. Carr last year was on the number 1 about 15%

Prove it.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Prove it.

Go watch a game lol see it for your own eyes.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Go watch a game lol see it for your own eyes.

Translation: I made up a BS statistic and was talking out of my ass.

DBoweShow
03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Flowers and Carr were 1A and 1B corners, so I don't see the need to argue about #1 or #2 corner.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Flowers and Carr were 1A and 1B corners, so I don't see the need to argue about #1 or #2 corner.

I agree. But when people claim "we don't need to pay #1 money for a #2 CB" it's absolute garbage. Carr is a #1 CB.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Translation: I made up a BS statistic and was talking out of my ass.

You need to go watch a game bud....

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
So is there a scenario out there where we can include Carr in a package deal to the Rams for their #2?

And what would that scenario be?

Would we tag him, and what additional picks would we have to give up?

the Talking Can
03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Scott needs to sign Dwayne Bowe today. Pay the man, so we can tagg Carr's ass.

seriously...we need to get something for an asset as valuable as Carr...

picks are gold, jerry!

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
seriously...we need to get something for an asset as valuable as Carr...

picks are gold, jerry!

He needs to be somehow part of a trade the #2 pick if the rams are going to be looking for a CB in free agency.

If Carr is part of a trade to attain RG3...I wouldn't be sad to see him leave.

It's a process.

Skyy God
03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
So is there a scenario out there where we can include Carr in a package deal to the Rams for their #2?

And what would that scenario be?

Would we tag him, and what additional picks would we have to give up?

11, our 2nd, and probably the 2013 1st.

the Talking Can
03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
He needs to be somehow part of a trade the #2 pick if the rams are going to be looking for a CB in free agency.

If Carr is part of a trade to attain RG3...I wouldn't be sad to see him leave.

It's a process.

that's not happening

I'd be thrilled to death to get an extra 2nd for Carr...but any pick is better than none

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
11, our 2nd, and probably the 2013 1st.

Do it.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
You need to go watch a game bud....

I've watched them all, bud. You need to stop dreaming up statistics that you can't back up.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close
Titans will not place their franchise tag on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Carlota69
03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I tihnk the Rams are trying to get a deal done ASAP, so teams like the Browns dont decide to bail out of a bidding war and sign Orton or Flynn and decide they'd like to keep draft picks.

Molitoth
03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Titans will not place their franchise tag on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

This doesn't help Carr's case for other teams.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I tihnk the Rams are trying to get a deal done ASAP, so teams like the Browns dont decide to bail out of a bidding war and sign Orton or Flynn and decide they'd like to keep draft picks.

Yep. Flynn and Manning on the open market reduces the Rams' bargaining power.

The Franchise
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Yep. Flynn and Manning on the open market reduces the Rams' bargaining power.

If the Rams are smart.....they're pushing to get a trade done before FA begins.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Schefter reporting:

Falcons will franchise CB Brent Grimes
49ers will franchise S Dashon Goldson
Ravens will franchise RB Ray Rice

Ebolapox
03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I have no idea who dashon goldson is.

The Franchise
03-02-2012, 10:45 AM

The FS that we should have signed last year.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Had 6int's last year and made the Pro Bowl.

the Talking Can
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
if the rams could bank someone's 2012 first and second, and 2013 first, plus another pick...I'd do it now

The Franchise
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
if the rams could bank someone's 2012 first and second, and 2013 first, plus another pick...I'd do it now

This.

I don't think they're going to get what the Redskins are "reportedly" offering.

DaKCMan AP
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
This.

I don't think they're going to get what the Redskins are "reportedly" offering.

Pretty much. They can demand all they want and teams can balk at it. Trade or no trade, the Rams aren't drafting RGIII.

Sofa King
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Without a doubt.

The Franchise
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Pretty much. They can demand all they want and teams can balk at it. Trade or no trade, the Rams aren't drafting RGIII.

As soon as FA starts and QBs are getting signed......they're going to lose value fucking quick. Say for instance.....if the Dolphins sign Flynn, the Redskins sign Manning and the Chiefs re-sign Orton.....the Browns would really be the only viable candidate to trade up. All they would have to offer is their 2 1st round picks to move up from 4 to 2.

notorious
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Carr is going to walk to make room for Pay-ton.

morphius
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
As soon as FA starts and QBs are getting signed......they're going to lose value fucking quick. Say for instance.....if the Dolphins sign Flynn, the Redskins sign Manning and the Chiefs re-sign Orton.....the Browns would really be the only viable candidate to trade up. All they would have to offer is their 2 1st round picks to move up from 4 to 2.
Why would anyone that signing a 1 year stop gap guy like Orton take us out of a need for a QB now?

The Franchise
03-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Why would anyone that signing a 1 year stop gap guy like Orton take us out of a need for a QB now?

Because I seriously doubt that if the FO signs Orton to compete with Cassel......they're going to be looking to give up a shit ton of draft picks for RGIII.

Really? Orton, Cassel, RGIII and Stanzi as your QB roster?

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Redskins assigned the franchise tag to TE Fred Davis.

Carlota69
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Ray Rice gets tagged in Baltimore.

htismaqe
03-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Damn they need a QB...

Bowser
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM

wat

whoman69
03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Carr is going to walk to make room for Pay-ton.

We already have a ton of cap space.

Carlota69
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Both Ohio Kickers get tagged--Browns tag Dawson and Bengals tag Uncle Ted, the Nuuuug...Ted Nugent. Altho I could of swore he played for Detroit.:):)

Ebolapox
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Both Ohio Kickers get tagged--Browns tag Dawson and Bengals tag Uncle Ted, the Nuuuug...Ted Nugent. Altho I could of swore he played for Detroit.:):)

mike nugent? the ex-jets kicker?

Carlota69
03-02-2012, 04:27 PM
mike nugent? the ex-jets kicker?

Both of the kickers in the state of Ohio have the franchise tag.

The Browns will place the franchise tag on kicker Phil Dawson, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. That news comes shortly after news broke that the Bengals will place the franchise tag on kicker Ted Nugent.

It’s the second consecutive year that Dawson has been slapped with the franchise tag. Last year he signed his one-year franchise tender of $3.25 million. This year he’ll be entitled to 120 percent of what he got last year, which is $3.9 million.

Dawson made 24 of his 29 field goal attempts last year, including going an impressive 7-for-8 from beyond 50 yards.

Ebolapox
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nugent

must be a typo from the article (or wherever you got your news)

Mr. Laz
03-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Bears apply franchise tag to RB Forte, still want long-term deal
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: March 2, 2012 at 09:30 p.m.
Liked: 0 | Comments: 1
Email Print
Read Discuss
Running back Matt Forte has received the franchise tag from the Chicago Bears, the team announced Friday.

Lombardi: Franchise Season
Michael Lombardi makes sense of franchise tags and tenders. Also, here's why DeSean Jackson could be on the move. More ...
"Matt is an important part of our football team and we chose to utilize the franchise tag to ensure he remains a Bear," general manager Phil Emery told the team's official website. "We believe in Matt as a player and a person. Our intention is to continue to work to find common ground and keep Matt as a member of the Chicago Bears in 2012 and beyond."

Forte sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee early in a loss to Kansas City on Dec. 4 and sat out the rest of the season.

He was still selected to his first Pro Bowl, finishing with 1,487 yards from scrimmage and 997 rushing in his fourth season. He averaged 4.9 yards per carry.

Forte came into last season looking for an extension, but did not reach an agreement with the Bears.

A league source told NFL Network's Albert Breer that the team and Forte's representatives began negotiating his contract situation at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The Bears have until July 16 to work out a long-term deal with Forte.

ThaVirus
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Both of the kickers in the state of Ohio have the franchise tag.

The Browns will place the franchise tag on kicker Phil Dawson, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. That news comes shortly after news broke that the Bengals will place the franchise tag on kicker Ted Nugent.

It’s the second consecutive year that Dawson has been slapped with the franchise tag. Last year he signed his one-year franchise tender of $3.25 million. This year he’ll be entitled to 120 percent of what he got last year, which is $3.9 million.

Dawson made 24 of his 29 field goal attempts last year, including going an impressive 7-for-8 from beyond 50 yards.

Getting slapped with the franchise tag as a kicker wouldn't be all that bad. Play well and keep getting paid better and better..

beach tribe
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Prove it.

Don't have to. Flowers at his best reached levels that only Revis was able to top. At one point Flowers' overall coverage rating was just sick. He is the better corner when he's 100%.
And as far as tackling goes it's not even a contest Flowers is just NASTY.
Carr is damn good, but Flowers IS the better player, and there's no need for us to over pay for him, and put 110 million into our two starting CBs.
We need that dough for my boy Peyton.

Imon Yourside
03-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Don't have to. Flowers at his best reached levels that only Revis was able to top. At one point Flowers' overall coverage rating was just sick. He is the better corner when he's 100%.
And as far as tackling goes it's not even a contest Flowers is just NASTY.
Carr is damn good, but Flowers IS the better player, and there's no need for us to over pay for him, and put 110 million into our two starting CBs.
We need that dough for my boy Peyton.

I agree 1 gazillion percent! ;)

BossChief
03-03-2012, 12:34 AM
It's too bad this isn't madden.

Tampa gets Brandon Carr tag/trade (who they could definitely use and have the money for)and the 11 pick

KC gets 5 pick

KC uses 5 pick, Dorsey (Bailey looks like a beast in waiting and Dorsey is going into his final year rams cut Jason Smith) and next years first to move from 5 to 2.

Rams get 5 pick, Glenn Dorsey and first next year....a mid rounder or two to finalize the deal if needed.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Jay Glazer‏@JayGlazerReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

On the news side, was just told the Saints have placed the franchise tag on QB Drew Brees.

O.city
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Well, Colston and Nicks are gonna hit the market now.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Raiders will sign both, then cut the rest of thier team...

O.city
03-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't really know who either of those two have been linked too.

Nicks is gonna cost a ton for a G, thats for sure.

DomerNKC
03-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Titans will not place their franchise tag on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.Andre Johnson is his Daddy.

Direckshun
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Nicks is gonna cost a ton for a G, thats for sure.

He's also not a zone blocking guard.

I have no idea how this idea caught on, other than the fact that people like shiny things.

O.city
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I could see Finnegan going to Dallas if they wanna get Nicks too. I don't think they have the money to get Carr and Nicks.

O.city
03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
He's also not a zone blocking guard.

I have no idea how this idea caught on, other than the fact that people like shiny things.

Yep.

He is one of the top g's in the league but doesn't fit us at all. I'd rather go after Grubbs but I'm not sure if he fits either.

BossChief
03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
We don't need anything but an immediate starter at right tackle, as far as the offensive line is concerned.

Lilja can hold down LG for another year and Hudson starts at center.

Spending the kind of money Nicks wants would piss me off a little.

whoman69
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
We don't need anything but an immediate starter at right tackle, as far as the offensive line is concerned.

Lilja can hold down LG for another year and Hudson starts at center.

Spending the kind of money Nicks wants would piss me off a little.

Anything to protect Cassel.

O.city
03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
With an ugrade at C or LG, wherever Hudson goes, the other spot will be better by association.

I think Lilja would be fine at LG with Hudson at C. Like Boss said, a RT makes this line really good, IMO.

Tombstone RJ
03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, Colston and Nicks are gonna hit the market now.

would love the Broncos to get Nicks...

dirk digler
03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Chiefs need to go big after Nicks

O.city
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
No, we really don't.

Nicks wants to be the top paid guard in the league. No thanks.

whoman69
03-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Signing Nicks will create cap problems down the line with what he is asking for. With Weigman gone, I think most of our interior problems go away. I think we'll get some depth there in the draft.

Brock
03-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Overpaying for guards is Vikings level dumbassery.

BigMeatballDave
03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Chiefs need to go big after Nicks

No way. Not for what he'll want.

Bowser
03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Overpaying for guards is Vikings level dumbassery.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Pasta Little Brioni
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
MUST HAVE O-LINEMAN!!!!! CHEEFS LINE SUCK!!

dirk digler
03-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I guess it should depend on what they do with the QB position. If the plan is to keep Cassel as the starter they should sign Nicks to strengthen our O-Line and this team couldn't convert short yardage situations to save its life.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I guess it should depend on what they do with the QB position. If the plan is to keep Cassel as the starter they should sign Nicks to strengthen our O-Line and this team couldn't convert short yardage situations to save its life.

Bullshit!

Cassel does NOT deserve Nicks on the line. Hell...we should put only 10 guys on the field if Cassel's back, subtracting a lineman. :cuss:

Hoover
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Agree with those who identify that RT is what we need to focus on in regards to the line.

O.city
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Nicks wants to be paid like an all pro. I don't see it happening in KC.

O.city
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I believe Nicks was a 3rd round pick?

We could get a guard in the draft that could turn out to be that good if we play our cards right and draft smart.

Zeitler from Wisconsin is intriguing.

BossChief
03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Sign Peyton and Lilja will be more than adequate.

An immediate replacement is far from necessary.

Richardson at 11 and move up from our second rounder to get a good quality right tackle prospect and this offense would be close to unstoppable.

Pair that with a young and ascending defensive unit and BOOM we are absolutely in the superbowl picture.

Shit, we might be one of the favorites if Manning is healthy.

Fritz88
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Sign Peyton and Lilja will be more than adequate.

An immediate replacement is far from necessary.

Richardson at 11 and move up from our second rounder to get a good quality right tackle prospect and this offense would be close to unstoppable.

Pair that with a young and ascending defensive unit and BOOM we are absolutely in the superbowl picture.

Shit, we might be one of the favorites if Manning is healthy.

You inject/sodomize us with hope.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
The Union-Tribune San Diego reports that free agent Vincent Jackson is "almost certain" to avoid the franchise tag as Monday's deadline for tags to be assigned approaches.Avoiding the tag doesn't necessarily mean Jackson is headed elsewhere, but beat writer Kevin Acee insists the key date for his future is the the beginning of free agency on March 13 as opposed to the March 5 franchise tag deadline. Jackson, 29, is believed to be willing to accept a hometown discount to re-sign with San Diego. Per Acee, the Chargers plan to let Jackson field outside offers before making a counter-proposal to keep him. Mar 4 - 5:11 PMSource: Union-Tribune San Diego

Buck
03-04-2012, 04:16 PM
The Union-Tribune San Diego reports that free agent Vincent Jackson is "almost certain" to avoid the franchise tag as Monday's deadline for tags to be assigned approaches.Avoiding the tag doesn't necessarily mean Jackson is headed elsewhere, but beat writer Kevin Acee insists the key date for his future is the the beginning of free agency on March 13 as opposed to the March 5 franchise tag deadline. Jackson, 29, is believed to be willing to accept a hometown discount to re-sign with San Diego. Per Acee, the Chargers plan to let Jackson field outside offers before making a counter-proposal to keep him. Mar 4 - 5:11 PMSource: Union-Tribune San Diego

IMO, he's gone.

Skins or Bears I think.

And I think he's from the Denver area. He might want to go there :(

KCrockaholic
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
IMO, he's gone.

Skins or Bears I think.

And I think he's from the Denver area. He might want to go there :(

He's from Colorado Springs. Widefield high school to be more exact.

O.city
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Buck, is the Chargers window closing or already closed?

Seems the defensive front is old and the wr's are getting up there too.

Buck
03-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Buck, is the Chargers window closing or already closed?

Seems the defensive front is old and the wr's are getting up there too.

I think they have a small window these next couple years before they need a complete overhaul.

With a qb like Rivers though, you can never really shut the window completely.

Carlota69
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Here's the official list
The 2012 franchise tags
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2012, 10:39 AM EST

Raiders: Safety Tyvon Branch. (Not signed yet.)

Eagles: Receiver DeSean Jackson. (Not signed yet.)

Falcons: Cornerback Brent Grimes. (Not signed yet.)

Redskins: Tight end Fred Davis. (Not signed yet.)

Ravens: Running back Ray Rice. (Not signed yet.)

49ers: Safety Dashon Goldson. (Not signed yet.)

Bears: Running back Matt Forte. (Not signed yet.)

Cardinals: Defensive end Calais Campbell. (Not signed yet.)

Bengals: Kicker Mike Nugent. (Not signed yet.)

Browns: Kicker Phil Dawson. (Not signed yet.)

Saints: Quarterback Drew Brees. (Not signed yet.)

Lions: Defensive end Cliff Avril. (Not signed yet.)

Jaguars: Kicker Josh Scobee. (Not signed yet.)

Broncos: Kicker Matt Prater. (Not signed yet.)

Titans: Safety Michael Griffin. (Not signed yet.)

Patriots: Receiver Wes Welker. (Not signed yet.)

Cowboys: Linebacker Anthony Spencer. (Not signed yet.)

Buccaneers: Kicker Connor Barth. (Not signed yet.)

Giants: Punter Steve Weatherford. (Not signed yet.)

Chiefs: Receiver Dwayne Bowe. (Not signed yet.)

Colts: Defensive end Robert Mathis. (Not signed yet.)

First franchise tag goes to DeSean Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
DeSean Jackson AP

On the 11th day, the first franchise tag rested. On the shoulders of No. 10.

The Eagles announced on Thursday afternoon the placement of their franchise tender on receiver DeSean Jackson.

“We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step in the right direction to accomplish that,” said Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman said. “DeSean is a talented player and a proven playmaker in this league and we look forward to him continuing his career in Philadelphia. It’s our understanding that he has the same desire. We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him.”

The move comes as no surprise. The Eagles weren’t going to let Jackson walk away without compensation. Now, they can try to trade him to a team that would be willing to give Jackson a long-term deal. Or the Eagles can sign him to an acceptable long-term deal.

Jackson’s size and history of injuries (specifically concussions) continue to complicate the assessment of his value. If/when he’s signed to a multi-year deal with significant guaranteed money, the injury risk shifts to the team. Until then, the risk remains with Jackson.

With or without a long-term deal, Jackson will be eligible for a one-year, guaranteed contract that will pay him roughly $9.4 million in 2012. The Eagles can rescind the offer at any time before Jackson signs it — a fact worth keeping in mind, given that the Eagles in the past have stripped the tag from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and defensive tackle Corey Simon.

Given that Jackson made only $600,000 in 2011, the final season of a four-year slotted rookie deal for a second-round pick, he should run even faster to sign the tender than he did when he returned that punt against the Giants. The only problem is that, once he signs the tender, he loses his leverage. If he doesn’t sign he’s not under contract and he can hold out. If he signs, he’d be subject to stiff daily penalties if he skips mandatory offseason workouts and/or training camp practices.

Of course, with a guaranteed salary of $9.4 million coming, he can more easily afford the fines.

HemiEd
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Lots of kickers on that list.

htismaqe
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Lots of kickers on that list.

Connor Barth.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

HemiEd
03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Connor Barth.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

No kidding!

Remember the Jags on HBOs "Hard Knocks" and how they were at their end with Scobee? Kind of ironic. Kickers really are goofy.

Mojo Jojo
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Break Down by Position:
CB - 1
LB - 1
QB - 1
P - 1
TE - 1
RB - 2
DE - 3
WR - 3
S - 3
K - 5

Setsuna
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Josh Scobee! What what! Jax doing work! I hate Gene Smith.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Matt Prater for the win.

Quesadilla Joe
08-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Cliff Avril reports to Lions camp

Defensive end Cliff Avril’s exile from the Lions has come to an end.

Avril has been away from the Lions since the team placed the franchise tag on him in February as he first tried to negotiate a long-term contract with the team and then moved on to staying away from the start of camp after not being able to come to terms on one. Avril knew he would have to sign his $10.6 million contract eventually as he’s barred from signing a longer deal until after this season and eventually came on Sunday.

Tim Twentyman of the Lions’ website confirms that Avril has reported for work on Sunday morning, one day after defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham made it clear that he was itching to get the defensive end into camp. Now Avril is back and the Lions can step up their efforts to build a strong defensive line that will have to cover for some weaker spots elsewhere on the defense.

Avril, who had 11 sacks last season, will be a big part of that effort.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/05/cliff-avril-reports-to-lions-camp/related/

Quesadilla Joe
08-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Cliff Avril signs Franchise tender, per @ttwentyman. Will make about $1200 a week in preseason, then $624,000 per week in season.

https://twitter.com/adbrandt/status/232097883409772545

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Lazy, greedy fucks.

cabletech94
08-05-2012, 07:26 AM
tim twentyman, in for tom tucker!!!

O.city
08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
So, when does Bowe report?