PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Going to KC for a game.

In58men
03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Going to hit up O-Joe's and Gates, that's a given.

I was thinking about going to Grinders Pizza. Is it worth a try? Seen it about a year ago on Diners Drive-ins and Dives.

Any other suggestions.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Perkins across from the stadiums. Ask for Mabel. She'll give you free creamer for your coffee. The liquid kind in the little tub with the seal on top.

Livin.

Kyle DeLexus
03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Perkins across from the stadiums. Ask for Mabel. She'll give you free creamer for your coffee. The liquid kind in the little tub with the seal on top.

Livin.

Or ask for Marge. She'll give you a hummer under the table as you eat your pancakes.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Or ask for Marge. She'll give you a hummer under the table as you eat your pancakes.

Kyle makes a good point her Inmem.... but ask her to take out her teeth first.

Livin.

Phobia
03-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I would spend 5 days and hit up all our quality pizza joints. I truly believe KC is the #3 pizza town in the country.

Kyle DeLexus
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I would spend 5 days and hit up all our quality pizza joints. I truly believe KC is the #3 pizza town in the country.

I don't eat pizza much, what pizza joints are there?

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
For a serious response I like Fred P. Otts on the plaza, across from the tennis courts. It's bar food but I like bar food.

Phobia
03-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't eat pizza much, what pizza joints are there?

In no particular order:
D'Bronx
Tim's
Next Door Pizza
Funhouse
Waldo (in Waldo)
Minskys
Dish
and even one of our larger chains Pizza Shoppe isn't half bad.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-02-2012, 12:03 AM
In no particular order:
D'Bronx
Tim's
Next Door Pizza
Funhouse
Waldo (in Waldo)
Minskys
Dish

Ever had Godfathers Pizza? I ate at a KC Minskys last year and it was just like the Godfathers I used to go to in college. Made me wonder if it could be the same ownership/recipe or maybe even changed names.

Phobia
03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Ever had Godfathers Pizza? I ate at a KC Minskys last year and it was just like the Godfathers I used to go to in college. Made me wonder if it could be the same ownership/recipe or maybe even changed names.

Yes. I've eaten at Godfathers. I grew up on Godfathers. It's a notch above the Pizza Huts and Dominos but Minskys is at least 2 stars better. You must have hit Minskys on a bad night.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Yes. I've eaten at Godfathers. I grew up on Godfathers. It's a notch above the Pizza Huts and Dominos but Minskys is at least 2 stars better. You must have hit Minskys on a bad night.

I loved Godfathers in college and I loved Minskys that night... whether it was an off night or not. JazzzLovr took me there... she'd been raving about it. I was glad to taste that old taste again.

Phobia
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM
But Godfathers isn't what it once was. I think their quality has fallen of significantly. I think there are at least 2 or 3 left in KC but they're being pushed out.

-King-
03-02-2012, 12:33 AM
In no particular order:
D'Bronx
Tim's
Next Door Pizza
Funhouse
Waldo (in Waldo)
Minskys
Dish

The one on Longview?

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-02-2012, 12:35 AM
But Godfathers isn't what it once was. I think their quality has fallen of significantly. I think there are at least 2 or 3 left in KC but they're being pushed out.

Figures. The only Godfathers I ever knew was in Emporia and that was a long time ago.

NJChiefsFan
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM

What is your #1 and #2? I haven't had KC pizza, but the midwest pizza I have had is an absolute joke compared to Northeast pizza.

Phobia
03-02-2012, 12:46 AM
What is your #1 and #2? I haven't had KC pizza, but the midwest pizza I have had is an absolute joke compared to Northeast pizza.

I would suggest the undisputed #1 and #2 are Chicago and New York, wouldn't you? I don't think KC really has a distinctive style. I think there's such a vast array of the various styles that we're vaulted very high.

It's the same reason I thought Houston cuisine was top notch. You had your pick of seafood from the gulf, texas beef, authentic Cajun, Tex-Mex, authentic Mexican, Thai, German, Mediterranean, South American, etc.

KCUnited
03-02-2012, 05:57 AM
I like Grinder's pizza, they also have a plus cheesesteak, a plus burger, and a plus beer selection. Their pizza by the slice struggles a bit if you go during the lunch rush. They also have the best tator tots in KC since Texas Toms closed.

I think KC is a plus pizza city, but can't put them near the top when there isn't a legit Chicago style pizza in this city that I've found since Tartantino's closed.