PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Clippers ask Clipper Darrell to give back his name

chiefzilla1501
03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/03/clippers-ask-superfan-to-stop-being-clipper-darrell-at-games/1

I don't know if this has been posted yet. But seriously. I get that there's legal grounding for the Clippers to do this, but this is why d-bags shouldn't be allowed to run sports teams.

kysirsoze
03-03-2012, 12:47 PM
If there's truth to him actually considering going "free agent" with his fandom so he can make more money, then it is he who is the douche.

chiefzilla1501
03-03-2012, 01:00 PM
If there's truth to him actually considering going "free agent" with his fandom so he can make more money, then it is he who is the douche.

I don't see how that would be much of a problem. I can't imagine that in the 7 years he was doing this before this season that he was making any money off a team that had no idea what the fuck they were doing. And the money he spends on tickets and the money he brings in by his promoting the Clippers brand and getting the fans in the crowd something to be excited about is miles above what he probably makes in public appearances. I can't imagine he'd get paid very much.

The Clippers' ownership has been known to be clueless. This is just an example of a dumb owner trying to show his authority by enforcing a really stupid rule.

Deberg_1990
03-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Sounds like he's trying to become a fan or mascot for hire. I've got no problems with the Clippers doing this:

"He is not not actually a fan of the Clippers," the statement said of Bailey, "but a fan of what he can make off the Clippers."

At one point, Bailey apparently traveled to Dallas to meet with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban about becoming a Mavericks fan, according Bill Plaschke's* Friday column in the Los Angeles Times.

RealSNR
03-03-2012, 01:38 PM
A clipper is a kind of ship, isn't it? Couldn't he say he named himself after one of those?

whoman69
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm sure we'll find out in the coming days if he is an opportunist or a true fan. This does sound like something only the Clippers can pull off. Just because they have CP3 now doesn't mean they're suddenly a smart organization.