PDA

View Full Version : Draft Tek "consensus mock," 7 rounds

Direckshun
03-04-2012, 01:17 AM
http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

11. OG David Decastro, Stanford (solid value)

While OT remains the most likely position to be selected by the Chiefs, there are other options. Consider this, who is the best offensive line prospect in the draft? It may be Matt Kalil or it could be David DeCastro. The problem is, DeCastro plays Guard, a position with less value than Left Tackle. However, DeCastro has an amazing skill set. He is big, strong, and agile, with great fundamentals. He also has that "Merlin approved" mean streak. Plus, his leadership skills are excellent, and coming from Stanford, he is very intelligent. It is no wonder that he is considered the best Guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson. Essentially, he will lock down a offensive line spot for ten plus years at probably a near Pro Bowl level, at worst. Is that worth the #11 pick in the draft? If Scott Pioli does not like the Offensive Tackles on the board, the answer could very well be 'Yes'. - Merlin Chiefs Analyst

44. QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State (good value)

The Chiefs still are interested in signing Kyle Orton and are even talking about Peyton Manning, but that does not preclude drafting a developmental QB. The Chiefs are reported to be down a bit on Ricky Stanzi's development. Hence Brandon Weeden makes sense here. There is a lot to like in Weeden. He finished the season third in the league in passing yardage, throwing for 4,277 yards with a nice 34/13 TD/INT ratio. He has a strong arm, displays accuracy on all NFL type routes, has enough mobility to be effective, and is a leader on the field. Oh yes, then there is the fact that he is 28 years old. There is a lot to work with here. If Weeden cleans up his footwork and adapts to playing under center, he could be very effective. With this pick, the Chiefs would be looking for him to start no later than year two. His ceiling is high, but his window is short. With quarterbacks playing until their late 30's, he could have a nice 8-10 year career. Merlin, Chiefs Analyst

75. OT Tom Compton, South Dakota

107. NT Akiem Hicks, Regina

138. WR Jarius Wright, Arkansas

171. WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State

201. DE Dominique Hamilton, Missouri

Direckshun
03-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Draft Tek is one of those underrated websites that really, really do their homework.

Which is a double-edged sword, I think. I think this mock is too clever by half, dwelling on small states and little-discussed prospects. Though I'm intrigued by this particular collection of players.

Still, if the board fell like it did in Draft Tek's mock, I'd do the following:

11. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama

44. NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

75. WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

107. OT Nate Potter, Boise State

138. C David Molk, Michigan

171. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

201. OT Matt Reynolds, BYU

Direckshun
03-04-2012, 01:33 AM
QB: Cassel, Stanzi
RB: Richardson, Charles, McCluster
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Broyles, McCluster
TE: Moeaki, Maneri, O'Connell

LT: Albert, Potter
LG: Hudson, Harris
C: Molk, Harris
RG: Asamoah, Harris
RT: Potter, Reynolds

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Ta'amu, Powe
DE: Jackson, Wolfe

OLB: Hali, Sheffield
ILB: Belcher, Siler
ILB: Johnson, Williams
OLB: Houston, Studebaker

CB: Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Brown, Washington
S: Berry, Lewis, McGraw, Washington

Nightfyre
03-04-2012, 02:18 AM
I would:
1. Trent Richardson, RB
2. Coby Fleener, TE
3. Harrison Smith, SS
4. Leonard Johnson, CB
5. Brock Osweiler, QB
6. Derek Wolfe, DE
7. Janzen Jackson, FS

Thats BPA as far as I can tell. No help at RT is a problem. Mike Brewster in the fourth could be another option.

whoman69
03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I am having big doubts that Richardson makes it down to the Chiefs. In addition its not a great value pick for them. What has Adrian Peterson or Darren McBrokedick done to get their teams to the Super Bowl? You are drafting a RB to take the role this year of Thomas Jones. You're selecting #11 player in the draft for a backup role.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Weeden :cuss:

he'll be 29 his first year in the NFL ... there is no point in drafting him in ANY ROUND!!

milkman
03-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I am having big doubts that Richardson makes it down to the Chiefs. In addition its not a great value pick for them. What has Adrian Peterson or Darren McBrokedick done to get their teams to the Super Bowl? You are drafting a RB to take the role this year of Thomas Jones. You're selecting #11 player in the draft for a backup role.

Three isn't a RB that will take you to the SB.

It's myth propagated by NFL coaches and front offices that RBs take you there.

That being said, a stud RB complementing a franchise QB can take the pressure off of that QB and make defenses play honest.

Give me a team with a franchise QB, a stud RB, and a top 10 defense, and I'll show you a team with dynastic potential.

RealSNR
03-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Hate the Brandon Weeden pick.

These next couple of years I really have no interest in taking QBs just because, especially if they're geezers.

If they're not being drafted to fix the problem, they're just going to add to the problem, which is a logjam of mediocre guys all at the same talent level, none of them good enough to really justify starting over Cassel.

whoman69
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Any scenario that leaves Cassel in place as the starter with no competition is a fail.

Nightfyre
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Any scenario that leaves Cassel in place as the starter with no competition is a fail.

I agree. Therefore, do whatever it takes to draft RGIII or Luck.

Saul Good
03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Draft Tek is one of those underrated websites that really, really do their homework.

Which is a double-edged sword, I think. I think this mock is too clever by half, dwelling on small states and little-discussed prospects. Though I'm intrigued by this particular collection of players.

Still, if the board fell like it did in Draft Tek's mock, I'd do the following:

11. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama

44. NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

75. WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

107. OT Nate Potter, Boise State

138. C David Molk, Michigan

171. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

201. OT Matt Reynolds, BYU

I like this draft if we have Orton. I love it if we have Manning.

It's amazing how having a QB opens up the draft. Suddenly BPA makes sense, and that's how teams sustain greatness. When you don't have to go around plugging holes in the draft, you wind up with tons of talent backing up talent.

We're a QB away from being in that position.

O.city
03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I like this draft if we have Orton. I love it if we have Manning.

It's amazing how having a QB opens up the draft. Suddenly BPA makes sense, and that's how teams sustain greatness. When you don't have to go around plugging holes in the draft, you wind up with tons of talent backing up talent.

We're a QB away from being in that position.

This.

When you ahve your qb, there really isn't a bad pick to make. Wanna add a wr, fine one more weapon. Wanna add a passrusher, fine.

With that draft, you are looking at a really solid core for years.

Saul Good
03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
This.

When you ahve your qb, there really isn't a bad pick to make. Wanna add a wr, fine one more weapon. Wanna add a passrusher, fine.

With that draft, you are looking at a really solid core for years.

It's kind of like what Dayton Moore has done with the Royals. If you can acquire enough talent, it doesn't matter how the positions shake out. Your roster will sort itself out.

O.city
03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
It's kind of like what Dayton Moore has done with the Royals. If you can acquire enough talent, it doesn't matter how the positions shake out. Your roster will sort itself out.

Yep.

If we have Manning, you can essentially take the most athletic football players or BPA and just let things fall where they may.

redsurfer11
03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I would:
1. Trent Richardson, RB
2. Coby Fleener, TE
3. Harrison Smith, SS
4. Leonard Johnson, CB
5. Brock Osweiler, QB
6. Derek Wolfe, DE
7. Janzen Jackson, FS

Thats BPA as far as I can tell. No help at RT is a problem. Mike Brewster in the fourth could be another option.

We don't need no stinking tackles.

whoman69
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I agree. Therefore, do whatever it takes to draft RGIII or Luck.

The Browns who are 7 spots ahead of us with two firsts and Redskins who are 5 spots ahead of us are going to let us outbid them. The Rams can't wait to lose out on Blackmon at #11.

http://www.heartrisemusic.com/Artists/PetersonR/ImpossibleDream/Cover.jpg

O.city
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Thing is, supposedly the Browns don't want to give up that extra first rounder. The Skins are rumored to be cooling on the amount they would give up.

It's not out of the question that we could strike a deal after a few of the free agent qb's start landing.

htismaqe
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Thing is, supposedly the Browns don't want to give up that extra first rounder. The Skins are rumored to be cooling on the amount they would give up.

It's not out of the question that we could strike a deal after a few of the free agent qb's start landing.

I have heard that about the Browns.

But I've heard nothing about the Redskins other than their salivating at the thought that the Browns don't want to trade...