PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What is Number 7 Really Worth?

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, So - Humor me on this, based on the fact that there are various teams that are QB needy this off-season, and there aren't many options out there.

Scenario that I would like to have happen:

Sign Manning to 4 year 24g/60m contract (with health clauses) 15m towards the cap of 2012.
Sign Henne as a backup for 4m

Trade #7 for a third round pick to:

Jacksonville Jaguars
Seattle Seahawks
New York Jets

And the reason I base on this is on the fact that

Luck will go to Indy
RGIII will go to Cleveland
Flynn will go to Miami

#7 is better than Campbell, Johnson - Orton might be the only FA out there better than him, and if anyone else drafts a QB, they will need an immediate starter anyway. Matt is also is a very cheap (less than 6m a year) option as a starter for 2012.

I also feel we can get a third, based on these trades made in the last few years:

Oakland → Cincinnati (PD). Oakland traded 2012 First round and a 2013 second-round selection to Cincinnati for quarterback Carson Palmer

Oakland → Washington (PD). Oakland traded 2012 Fourth Round to Washington for quarterback Jason Campbell.

New York Giants → Minnesota (PD). The New York Giants traded a conditional 2012 selection and a 2011 fifth-round selection (No. 150, after all trades, Cleveland selected Jason Pinkston) to Minnesota for running back Darius Reynaud and quarterback Sage Rosenfels.

Denver → Cleveland (PD). Denver traded a conditional 2012 selection, a 2011 sixth-round selection (No. 168, after all trades, Minnesota selected DeMarcus Love), and running back Peyton Hillis to Cleveland for quarterback Brady Quinn

Minnesota → Washington (PD). Minnesota traded a conditional 2012 selection and a 2013 sixth-round selection to Washington for quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Seattle → San Diego (PD). Seattle traded a 2011 Third round selection and a 2010 second-round selection (40th overall; traded to Miami, who selected Koa Misi) to San Diego for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and a 2010 second-round selection (60th overall; Seattle selected Golden Tate).

Cleveland → Seattle (PD). Cleveland traded 2011 7th Round conditional selection to Seattle for quarterback Seneca Wallace

Detroit → San Francisco (PD). Detroit traded 2011 7th round conditional to San Francisco for quarterback Shaun Hill

Chicago → Denver (PD). Chicago traded 2010 11th Overall, a 2009 first-round selection (18th overall; Denver selected Robert Ayers) and a 2009 third-round selection (84th overall; traded to Pittsburgh, who selected Mike Wallace), and quarterback Kyle Orton to Denver for quarterback Jay Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round selection (140th overall, Chicago selected Johnny Knox)

Washington → Philadelphia (PD). Washington traded a 2010 First Round and a 2011 fourth-round selection to Philadelphia for quarterback Donovan McNabb

Miami → Kansas City (PD). Miami traded 2010 Fifth round to Kansas City for quarterback Tyler Thigpen

Jacksonville → Tampa Bay (PD). Jacksonville traded 2010 7th round selection to Tampa Bay for quarterback Luke McCown

Pittsburgh → Tampa Bay (PD). Pittsburgh traded 2010 7th round selection to Tampa Bay for quarterback Byron Leftwich

Green Bay → New York Jets (PD). Green Bay traded a 2010 7th round selection and quarterback Brett Favre to the New York Jets for a 2009 third-round selection (73rd overall; after all trades Jacksonville selected Derek Cox)

Discuss? :) What say you? What is #7 worth?

L.A. Chieffan
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
manning is a dolphin dude

milkman
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Matt Cassel is not better than Jason Campbell.

MIAdragon
03-07-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.eatabagofdicks.com/bag.gif

htismaqe
03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
manning is a dolphin dude

Cassel is a benchwarmer dude...

Okie_Apparition
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Curtis Painter wore #7

Mojo Jojo
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
He has no trade value with his contract. Other teams no if we sign Manning it is most likely we would have to release Matt.

carlos3652
Matt Cassel is not better than Jason Campbell.

You don't think so Milk? I just feel he has had no success (Redskins/Raiders) and at least on paper, Matt is better stat wise... (i realize he might not be "better", but I think on paper he has more trade value)

bevischief
A burrito.

Fish
Everybody is throwing out these brilliant original ideas with the expectation that we can just trade Cassel to anybody. I don't think we'd get shit shopping him around.

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
He has no trade value with his contract. Other teams no if we sign Manning it is most likely we would have to release Matt.

Why would we release Matt? He is under 6m for 2012?

milkman
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
You don't think so Milk? I just feel he has had no success (Redskins/Raiders) and at least on paper, Matt is better stat wise... (i realize he might not be "better", but I think on paper he has more trade value)

Campell has never played on a team with the talent that Cassel has played with.

He was getting the job done last year for the Raiders, albeit unspectacularly, before his injury.

He is a more talented and smarter game manager than Cassel.

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Everybody is throwing out these brilliant original ideas with the expectation that we can just trade Cassel to anybody. I don't think we'd get shit shopping him around.

Anybody? I said Seattle/Jags/ - Where I feel they need an upgrade at QB - Ill be happy with a 5th rounder, but I think he is worth more.

milkman
03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Anybody? I said Seattle/Jags/ - Where I feel they need an upgrade at QB - Ill be happy with a 5th rounder, but I think he is worth more.

There's a sucker born every minute.

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Campell has never played on a team with the talent that Cassel has played with.

He was getting the job done last year for the Raiders, albeit unspectacularly, before his injury.

He is a more talented and smarter game manager than Cassel.

I agree with that take, I just feel Matt has proven he can be a good game manager in 2 seasons, while Jason hasn't. Hence why he would be "worth" more on paper.

I mean jason was traded for a 4th rounder. So is Matt worth a 5th in your eyes? What does the market demand of a good game manager?

milkman
03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree with that take, I just feel Matt has proven he can be a good game manager in 2 seasons, while Jason hasn't. Hence why he would be "worth" more on paper.

I mean jason was traded for a 4th rounder. So is Matt worth a 5th in your eyes? What does the market demand of a good game manager?

I can not objectively name what I think Cassel's value is.

Can't stand the useless bastard.

I wouldn't trade a bucket of warm piss for him, unless it was aids infested and he was required to drink it.

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:07 PM
There's a sucker born every minute.

BTW - Im not saying I would trade for him...I dont think he is good. BUT I feel we can get something for him in this market.

whoman69
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM

Matt's numbers are very low in the last years of his contract. He has no trade value because he sucks. I know of no team that would sign him as a better option than what they have or can get. The only way we could trade him would be as a backup. IMO, if Manning signs, Henne is not an upgrade for a backup.

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Matt's numbers are very low in the last years of his contract. He has no trade value because he sucks. I know of no team that would sign him as a better option than what they have or can get. The only way we could trade him would be as a backup. IMO, if Manning signs, Henne is not an upgrade for a backup.

The only reason I would sign Henne is due to upside potential, and cheaper the Matt as well as getting something for Matt. If we dont get anything at all for Matt, I would not sign henne. AKA - They are both backups in the NFL.

RealSNR
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the Patriot Mart customer service hotline!

To find out about this offseason's special veteran player offers at great discount draft pick prices, press 1.

To inquire about selling an unwanted used player using the "Bill Belichick Is A Genius" Program, press 2.

For troubleshooting information about your Patriot Mart account, or to check on your Patriot Points rewards program, press 3.

To speak to a customer service representative, press 4.

"4."

...We're sorry. All of our customer service representatives are busy. If you are returning a purchased Patriot Mart player, coach, or front office executive, please wait another three seasons. Somebody will be with you shortly.

DJ's left nut
03-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this?

Matt Cassel's contract is fantastic for the next 2 years if you think he can be a starting QB.

The Chiefs frontloaded the hell out of that deal. His salary over the next 2 years is a relative pittance for a starting QB (something like $5 million/season).

If anything, it's Cassel's contract that makes him valuable.

noa
03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Why does everyone keep saying this?

Matt Cassel's contract is fantastic for the next 2 years if you think he can be a starting QB.

The Chiefs frontloaded the hell out of that deal. His salary over the next 2 years is a relative pittance for a starting QB (something like $5 million/season).

If anything, it's Cassel's contract that makes him valuable.

Sadly, the Chiefs are probably the only team dumb enough to think Cassel can be a starting QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Sadly, the Chiefs are probably the only team dumb enough to think Cassel can be a starting QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

But thats the point... Henne - as a backup, is expected to make 5m a year... Matt might go to a team that drafts a qb and basically plays until the draft pick is ready to replace him... paying 5m a year for him is not that bad in this market.

Fish
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
BTW - Im not saying I would trade for him...I dont think he is good. BUT I feel we can get something for him in this market.

Your opening post said a 3rd rounder. But you don't think he is good.

Do you really think an actual team that pays people to scout is somehow going to come to a different conclusion than what is obvious to us casual Chiefs fans?

Mojo Jojo
03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Once the Chiefs start shopping Matt...everyone knows he is most likely to be cut. If you are looking for him as a back up or stop gap why give anything for him?

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Your opening post said a 3rd rounder. But you don't think he is good.

Do you really think an actual team that pays people to scout is somehow going to come to a different conclusion than what is obvious to us casual Chiefs fans?

We got a 5th for Tyler Thigpen? I didnt think he was good either...

Pasta Little Brioni
03-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Thigpen got a 5th. Charlie Whitehurst got a 3rd and a trade up in round 2 I believe. Do not underestimate the stupidity in this league. All it takes is one...

carlos3652
03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Once the Chiefs start shopping Matt...everyone knows he is most likely to be cut. If you are looking for him as a back up or stop gap why give anything for him?

Did you look at the trades made in the last 2 years for backup, stop gap Qb's?

Scorp
03-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Quit talking out of your ass please. Cassel wouldn't be traded or cut, he would serve as a backup which is what he is. A pathetic fucking backup QB.

boogblaster
03-07-2012, 05:50 PM
i wouldnt trade three empty candy wrappers for him .......

Scorp
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
i wouldnt trade three empty candy wrappers for him .......

What about 4?

Mojo Jojo
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Quit talking out of your ass please. Cassel wouldn't be traded or cut, he would serve as a backup which is what he is. A pathetic ****ing backup QB.
I don't disagree with your view...I just think fans here that hate him are over valuing him in a trade. He is a backup and keeping him allows Pioli to save some face. It also stunts the growth of a QBOTF.

el borracho
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Whatever the Broncos got for Plummer (a fourth or fifth, IIRC).

whoman69
03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
If we hold onto him this year, other teams may forget how much he sucked.

Rasputin
03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
:bang: #7

I hate the #7

Setsuna
03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Jacksonville isn't trading their 7th pick for shit. You can forget that loser. We are getting Martin and then some other OL in the 1st and 2nd round.