PDA

View Full Version : Football Matt Flynn=Cassel V2?

Wallcrawler
03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
A friend of mine and I were discussing this. Flynn has some teams going after him, but really its based off of what he did in one game.

Matt Cassel got a 64 million dollar deal based off of his performance with teammates that had won the superbowl the previous year.

Matt Flynn made his mark this past season with teammates that had won the superbowl the previous year.

I didnt follow this guy in college, so I dont know if he actually had ability or if it was just his teammates in GB that made his job easier.

My friend was wondering why the Chiefs werent showing interest in Flynn, and basicly my response was that he would be Cassel all over again. That might be a bit of an insult to Flynn, because Cassel really is God-Awful, but that was my take on it.

So I guess my question is was that a fair statement, or is Flynn a QB that actually has some potential to be good?

tredadda
03-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Weren't they both 7th rounders as well? At least Flynn started in college though. But agree, I think he is another Cassel in the making.

CoMoChief
03-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Only reason why Cassel got that kinda change is because Scott Pioli is a moron.

Nobody in the NFL would have been dumb enough to do the same.

KurtCobain
03-11-2012, 09:42 AM
He's cassel.

milkman
03-11-2012, 09:43 AM
The sample size is too small to make any real predictions.

He has the potential to be Matty Melt or Matt Schaub.

Signing him to a big contract is risky.

Messier
03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I know it was with an amazing supporting cast, but one difference is Cassel played a full season as a starter.

Omaha
03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
He split time as a starter at LSU. I watch a lot of LSU football. I always thought he'd be a decent NFL player. I think he'll be a lot better than Cassel. That's not saying a lot.

tredadda
03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Only reason why Cassel got that kinda change is because Scott Pioli is a moron.

Nobody in the NFL would have been dumb enough to do the same.

You underestimate the stupidity of some NFL GMs. Flynn will get paid. Teams are waiting for the Peyton situation to pan out before making a play for him.

milkman
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
You underestimate the stupidity of some NFL GMs. Flynn will get paid. Teams are waiting for the Peyton situation to pan out before making a play for him.

They are also, you know, waiting for the free agency period to actually begin.

okcchief
03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I would be willing to bet that Flynn will fair better than Cassel. I think he has the potential to be a very good QB but there is definitely a risk. For the teams looking at him they have no better option.

Messier
03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I would be willing to bet that Flynn will fair better than Cassel. I think he has the potential to be a very good QB but there is definitely a risk. For the teams looking at him they have no better option.

He might, but it's hard to tell, I would have thought Kolb would out play Cassel, but didn't happen.

notorious
03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Never invest heavily in a 1 year wonder, much less a one game wonder.

The failure rate is huge.

chiefzilla1501
03-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I think what you have is a much more accurate version of Matt Cassel.

He will have a lot to prove, however, in terms of reading an NFL defense and going through his progressions. What I've seen so far is he's most effective out of the shotgun and his success has largely been in throwing to his first read. And he doesn't have elite arm strength or athleticism, so he not only has to be good at defenses, he has to be great at him.

His upside is better than Cassel's. But that's not saying very much. There's a very good chance he's no better than Orton. That's again not saying very much.

mdchiefsfan
03-11-2012, 09:57 AM
If Philbin doesn't go for him, no one should

chiefzilla1501
03-11-2012, 09:58 AM
He might, but it's hard to tell, I would have thought Kolb would out play Cassel, but didn't happen.

If you gave Kolb the 3 years Cassel got, he would play out better. But again... that's not saying much. His upside is to be a very average QB.

Messier
03-11-2012, 10:06 AM
If you gave Kolb the 3 years Cassel got, he would play out better. But again... that's not saying much. His upside is to be a very average QB.

I don't know that he would, but it doesn't matter they're both below average.

Bump
03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
you can see after that 1 game that Flynn is better than Cassel. Is he worth the risk? Probably.

Messier
03-11-2012, 10:14 AM
you can see after that 1 game that Flynn is better than Cassel. Is he worth the risk? Probably.

Lets' not get into this, but one game is one game. Cassel threw for 400 yards in back to back games that year in NE 6 tds in those two games. Not defending Cassel just saying you can be fooled by small sample size.

chiefzilla1501
03-11-2012, 10:15 AM

So the bar we set is to get a QB that's better than Cassel?

It's why I don't want Tannehill. I don't want Flynn. This isn't taking a chance. This is reaching for a prospect that doesn't even feel elite simply because we have the means (draft position or money) to do so. We're not only investing money, we're investing 2-3 years in the hope that this decision is the right one.

BoneKrusher
03-11-2012, 10:30 AM
i'd rather have Ortan.

Bump
03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Lets' not get into this, but one game is one game. Cassel threw for 400 yards in back to back games that year in NE 6 tds in those two games. Not defending Cassel just saying you can be fooled by small sample size.

ya, can't disagree with that. I'd rather take a chance on Flynn than do nothing though as long as it's not a huge contract. But with that in mind, it would be better to just keep Orton probably. I've lost hope that we are going to get Manning and we know we aren't drafting a QB, so there isn't much we can actually do. Clark Hunt doesn't care, obviously and when you have an owner who doesn't care if his team wins or loses, we're fucked.

hometeam
03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Matt Flynn is going to fail. He is all agent and media hype.

he playes one meaningless game and now hes a franchise QB? get real.

whoman69
03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Cassel was a career backup at every level before coming to the Chiefs. Flynn at least started in college. Cassel is a proven fail, Flynn not yet. If it were the option of starting the season with Cassel or Flynn, I would pick Flynn everytime. Its upside vs downside.

suds79
03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
If it were the option of starting the season with Cassel or Flynn, I would pick Flynn everytime. Its upside vs downside.

Well yes because we know Cassel sucks. We don't know that yet about Flynn.

I have a feeling he'll end up being Cassel 2.0. I wouldn't want anything to do with either one of them.

Bump
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Matt-Flynns-record-setting-highlights/93da7a2d-ff00-4c48-8e31-119828d0ed54

just watching those highlights, Flynn can make throws over 10 yards. Sure a lot of those throws were YAC, but just watching that he is leaps and bounds above Cassel.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm not big on Flynn.

I think it will be a red flag if Philbin and Miami pass on him...