PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs If Not Peyton Manning, Then Who?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/3/12/2864399/peyton-manning-free-agent-kansas-city-chiefs

If Not Peyton Manning, Then Who?

The Peyton Manning sweepstakes are winding down (we think) and by many accounts the Kansas City Chiefs are unlikely to be Manning's next home. I'm still holding out hope, too, but realistically Manning is unlikely to be a Chief. (Again, I'm still hoping I'm wrong on that one.)

So, let's assume Manning picks Arizona, Denver or somewhere else. What will the Chiefs quarterback situation look like if Manning isn't involved?

The options are the same as they were a few weeks ago, starting with....

Kyle Orton: Absent Manning, this is probably the best choice. Orton is the free agent quarterback who can likely give Cassel the best competition. We know him. We saw him play. We know he can beat a good team (Green Bay Packers) on a good day. If we're looking for a legitimate competition, I think Orton has to be the pick.

Chad Henne: He's a guy that has connections to Chiefs offensive coordinator Brian Daboll so you'll see his name floating around when the free agency rumors really start moving. He fits the profile of a guy with experience who's young enough that you could argue has some potential.

Jason Campbell: Another quarterback in the same mold as Orton and Henne. Both are probably lower-end starters at best, or high-end backups. He has the advantage of knowing the Raiders system.

Matt Flynn: Don't think this is gonna happen. He could field a contract similar to the one Matt Cassel received.

Rookie quarterback: Unless the Chiefs use one of their top two picks on a quarterback -- like Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill or Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden -- I don't see the quarterback competition coming from the draft.

Surprise cut: Some team out there is going to surprise us all by releasing a quarterback. Generally, good quarterbacks don't hit the open market so I wouldn't count on this option.

Tim Tebow: Just kidding.

notorious
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Where is the Cassel option?

Bane
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Gonna be Casshole and whatever other scrubs Pisoli can throw on the roster that cant/wont challenge him.The end.

Bowser
03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
I agree that Orton is likely the best option at this point.

It's like trying to pick between a Fiero, Pinto, and an Aries K car.

the Talking Can
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
it will be shit, poop, or crap

but at least we'll have our draft picks, and that's the most important thing

suds79
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
It'll be Cassel (Pioli's pick) with either Henne or Campbell as "competition".

I'm saying Scott doesn't want to keep Orton because Romeo will want to play him thus starting a QB controversy.

At this rate, Scott will go down with that sinking ship that is Cassel in a year or so. And we get to then start all over. This is the life as a Chiefs fan.

kaplin42
03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
All of the QB's you listed are just Matt Cassel with a different hair cut.

And to be honest, if anyone thought that we would have a different starting QB than Cassel this season, you were lying to yourself.

Thig Lyfe
Bubba Starling

the Talking Can
year 4 of pioli and this is his list of QBs...give him another award

notorious
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Oh my God.

jd1020
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Show us a list of the available franchise QB's.

Bane

The fact that Cassel only lost his starting spot to injury is about all I need to know at this point.

Rasputin
Ricky Stanzi

Simply Red
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
where did Henne get drafted at, which spot?

jd1020
03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
where did Henne get drafted at, which spot?

2nd round by Parcells.

Simply Red
03-12-2012, 09:13 AM
2nd round by Parcells.

Thanks

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM

I'm saying Scott doesn't want to keep Orton because Romeo will want to play him thus starting a QB controversy.

At this rate, Scott will go down with that sinking ship that is Cassel in a year or so. And we get to then start all over. This is the life as a Chiefs fan.

This.

Gonzo
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Ricky Stanzi

This, I guess...

Sofa King
03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.stripers247.com/images/black-eyeball.gif

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Fuck this team. 40 years of zilch.

If they don't sign Manning or trade for Luck, I'm gonna find a better way to spend my Sundays. If they don't give a shit, why should I?

suds79
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
**** this team. 40 years of zilch.

If they don't sign Manning or trade for Luck, I'm gonna find a better way to spend my Sundays. If they don't give a shit, why should I?

I'll be honest. It wasn't until this that I realistically started wondering if I could ever change teams.

- I'd have to stream that other team's game online (won't pay for Sunday Ticket)
- Would have to start listening to another city's sports radio
- Probably find a board of that team to check out.

It could be done but would be a pain in ass.

I love the Chiefs. Don't get me wrong. But if I die an old man and go my whole life without ever seeing them win a SB, I'll be pissed I wasted my time.

bricks
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
it will be shit, poop, or crap

but at least we'll have our draft picks, and that's the most important thing

:LOL:

lets just hope that the shit don't stink too much

In58men
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Ryan Tannehill

BoneKrusher
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
**** this team. 40 years of zilch.

or bring back DV and Carl and lets outscore everyone on our schedule.

ChiefsCountry
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Brady Fucking Quinn
Posted via Mobile Device

lcarus
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
If not Peyton Manning, then....the same shit sandwich we had last year.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
This is the team that thought Huard was the answer.

Starting QB of the Chiefs: RamRod McGoo

Who gives a fuck, anymore?

lcarus
03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
This is the team that thought Huard was the answer.

Starting QB of the Chiefs: RamRod McGoo

Who gives a fuck, anymore?

I don't. I'm ready for March Madness.

BigCatDaddy
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
All of the QB's you listed are just Matt Cassel with a different hair cut.

And to be honest, if anyone thought that we would have a different starting QB than Cassel this season, you were lying to yourself.

Sure. When the HC says he thinks Orton should start next year if he plays well we should all assume that they are happy with Cassell.

lcarus
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Sure. When the HC says he thinks Orton should start next year if he plays well we should all assume that they are happy with Cassell.

It isn't the HC that has the massive erection for Cassel. It's dumbass Scott Pioli. Until he's gone, there's always the big chance Cassel remains this teams starter.

BossChief
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I wonder if Matt Moore could be had for a late rounder.

Thig Lyfe
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I wonder if the Bills would be willing to give up Thigpen.

saphojunkie
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
If Peyton Manning goes to Denver, the Chiefs don't draft a FIRST ROUND quarterback in the next draft, and the Rams come to LA, I'm fucking switching teams.

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I wonder if Matt Moore could be had for a late rounder.

We'll give up a 2nd rounder for him.

Canofbier
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Ricky Stanzi

^

boogblaster
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I'll be honest. It wasn't until this that I realistically started wondering if I could ever change teams.

- I'd have to stream that other team's game online (won't pay for Sunday Ticket)
- Would have to start listening to another city's sports radio
- Probably find a board of that team to check out.

It could be done but would be a pain in ass.

I love the Chiefs. Don't get me wrong. But if I die an old man and go my whole life without ever seeing them win a SB, I'll be pissed I wasted my time.

Been a Chiefs fan my whole life .. and my health is gettin' worse .. I saw them win one SB .. and yes it's been tough watchin' them lately .. but I gotta hope they win one more soon .....

suds79
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I saw them win one SB

You're one of the lucky ones. Guessing a fair number here didn't see that happen.

What's funny is years ago, I felt bad for my dad who is now 72. I thought "Man it's sad he'll spend his whole life and only see the Chiefs win it all once. I hope they get another soon."

lol I should worry about myself.

Tribal Warfare
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Heh,the Chiefs are so fucked up that the FO has been tagged as having a horribly caustic work environment which is so insufferable even marquee players are scoffing at invitations for possible contract talks.

FML as a Chiefs fan.

bevischief
03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Peter Pan

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm sure we'll trot out Huard part deux with our affinity for quality QBs.

lcarus
Heh,the Chiefs are so fucked up that the FO has been tagged as having a horribly caustic work environment which is so insufferable even marquee players are scoffing at invitations for possible contract talks.

FML as a Chiefs fan.

Yep. I think it's more than safe to say now that Pioli was a giant mistake.

Extra Point
Al a Municipal Stadium:
At quarterback-ack, number-er eight-eight-eight
King-ing-ing
Neckbeard-eard-eard

Tribal Warfare
03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Yep. I think it's more than safe to say now that Pioli was a giant mistake.

I blame this on Clark for allowing this to happen

DaFace
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Fuck this team. 40 years of zilch.

I feel your frustration, but acting like there's a chance in hell that we could trade for Luck makes your argument pretty silly. We could offer our entire drafts for the next 5 years, and I doubt the Colts would even consider it.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I feel your frustration, but acting like there's a chance in hell that we could trade for Luck makes your argument pretty silly. We could offer our entire drafts for the next 5 years, and I doubt the Colts would even consider it.

I just want a franchise QB, I don't give a shit if it takes 40 years of draft picks, what's the difference? 40 years of no picks or 40 years of no franchise QB-same difference in the big picture. (sarcasm, but still a point)

BTW, I'm just venting don't take anything I say as more than a healthy unleashing on the organization from all the crap that we've endured as being loyal.

bricks
03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Sign Orton ONLY if it means getting rid of Cassel.

Having both Cassel and Orton would be a chicken sh*t move by the organization.

All it means is that we would have two chicken shits competing against each other which would get in the way of discovering what the Chiefs truly have in Stanzi. And the season wouldn't be interesting at all.

I'm with keeping one, and not both. Either Orton or Cassel. My preference would be Orton over Cassel. My own intuition tells me the Chiefs will keep Cassel. So, I would like to see them DRAFT a quarterback. Go with Cassel, Stanzi, and the draftee. Let them all battle it out in TC.

Epic Fail 007
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
mannings new career http://www.ridicularity.com/?p=1806

Coogs
03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Orton

Orton, Stanzi, and Cassel in a real competition this year, not the fake kind like we have had the last 3 years. Cassel will be gone in the fall.

Mile High Mania
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Honestly, I think signing Orton would be wise.

I've never disliked the guy and with a healthy Charles, Moeaki... who knows? I think Orton lacks some leadership qualities, but the guy can play. KC has solid talent... bring in another option at RB to help Charles, but roll with Orton.

Cut Matty Light free and forget the nonsense of going after a Matt Flynn.

Not smack and I'm not trying to be an a$$... if Manning doesn't go to KC, it's not the end of the world for you guys.

Hell, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to be happy or not should he choose to go to Denver.

Epic Fail 007
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
orton or cambell

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Given the Options, Orton and the best draft pick we can get. We don't currently have an NFL starting quarterback on the roster.

Easy 6
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
My choice would have to be Danny Wuerrfel, he's surely available... we could even bring back the Spurrier fun & gun1!

Thig Lyfe
03-12-2012, 10:46 AM
My choice would have to be Danny Wuerrfel, he's surely available... we could even bring back the Spurrier fun & gun1!

Jesse Palmer could run the Bachelor Offense! GIVE BOWE THE DAMN ROSE!!!

BoneKrusher
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
orton or cambell

Ortan

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Heh,the Chiefs are so ****ed up that the FO has been tagged as having a horribly caustic work environment which is so insufferable even marquee players are scoffing at invitations for possible contract talks.

FML as a Chiefs fan.

Is that why he told the other 10 teams that want him thanks but no thanks too? I think people are reading way too much into this...

lcarus
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Honestly, I think signing Orton would be wise.

I've never disliked the guy and with a healthy Charles, Moeaki... who knows? I think Orton lacks some leadership qualities, but the guy can play. KC has solid talent... bring in another option at RB to help Charles, but roll with Orton.

Cut Matty Light free and forget the nonsense of going after a Matt Flynn.

Not smack and I'm not trying to be an a$$... if Manning doesn't go to KC, it's not the end of the world for you guys.

Hell, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to be happy or not should he choose to go to Denver.

Just heard on Cowherd's radio show that Bill Romanowski thinks Denver is retarded if they get Manning. I don't agree, but just relaying what I heard lol.

As far as Orton, he's the best option for us. He's a pretty decent short term QB, and that's the best we can hope for until we can get our own elite guy...if that ever happens. With a solid defense and running game, Orton can get hot. He did it for you all for a stretch there.

Frazod
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd like to see us resign Orton regardless of whether or not we get Manning. Time to kick Cassel to the curb.

Easy 6
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Jesse Palmer could run the Bachelor Offense! GIVE BOWE THE DAMN ROSE!!!

Wouldnt that be awesomes! Bowe could break down in tears right before they shared a passionate kiss.

Housewives the nation over would rejoice.

Tribal Warfare
03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Is that why he told the other 10 teams that want him thanks but no thanks too? I think people are reading way too much into this...

Dude, KC has the cap space, the defense, and the offensive weapons to make it work.... So what's the problem then?

DJ's left nut
03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Whatever QB we draft in the 5th round.

Fuck you, Pioli.

Coogs
03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Given the Options, Orton and the best draft pick we can get. We don't currently have an NFL starting quarterback on the roster.

You could be right. But my gut feeling is that Orton is one of those QB's that has figured it out. One of those guys that we all want our team to draft... play for a few years... and after 4 or 5 years develops into a very good QB. Only he didn't develop on our team, but somebody elses team.

A Trent Green. A Rich Gannon. Those type of QB's.

And again, I could be wrong. But I see him as that type of QB.

I dont see that with Cassel.

King_Chief_Fan
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Sign Orton ONLY if it means getting rid of Cassel.

Having both Cassel and Orton would be a chicken sh*t move by the organization.

All it means is that we would have two chicken shits competing against each other which would get in the way of discovering what the Chiefs truly have in Stanzi. And the season wouldn't be interesting at all.

I'm with keeping one, and not both. Either Orton or Cassel. My preference would be Orton over Cassel. My own intuition tells me the Chiefs will keep Cassel. So, I would like to see them DRAFT a quarterback. Go with Cassel, Stanzi, and the draftee. Let them all battle it out in TC.

This team is well aware of what they have in Stanzi......A clipboard holder. The guy couldn't even compete with Tyler Palko.

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
This team is well aware of what they have in Stanzi......A clipboard holder. The guy couldn't even compete with Tyler Palko.

That's why he was immediately elevated to #2 when RAC took over and Palko was sent to #3.

There was never any competition for Palko. :rolleyes:

saphojunkie
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
To answer the question, who do we go for if not Peyton Manning?

Mario Williams.
Paul Soliai
Laron Landry.

We can't get the franchise QB, so we better be able to stop the ones we face.

bricks
03-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Starting Tyler Palko over Ricky Stanzi was just an idiotic move by a Baffoon of a head coach. Doesn't mean Stanzi is shit or anything.

Epic Fail 007
03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

According to haley come on now.

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
You could be right. But my gut feeling is that Orton is one of those QB's that has figured it out. One of those guys that we all want our team to draft... play for a few years... and after 4 or 5 years develops into a very good QB. Only he didn't develop on our team, but somebody elses team.

A Trent Green. A Rich Gannon. Those type of QB's.

And again, I could be wrong. But I see him as that type of QB.

I dont see that with Cassel.?

I'm not sure how you got to that from my comment. Cassel would be the one I was talking about when I said there wasn't an NFL starting QB on the roster. Stanzi, too. We don't have anybody I'd want to start the season with.

Orton isn't on the roster. I was saying I'd select him out of the names on the "other" list, and draft the best quarterback we could, either late first or early second. It's not a perfect solution, but we're not getting Luck or Griffin, and I believe 11's too early for any of the rest. It's at least a genuine attempt, instead of picking yet another in a long line of late-round hail mary's.

Coogs
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
?

I'm not sure how you got to that from my comment. Cassel would be the one I was talking about when I said there wasn't an NFL starting QB on the roster. Stanzi, too. We don't have anybody I'd want to start the season with.

Orton isn't on the roster. I was saying I'd select him out of the names on the "other" list, and draft the best quarterback we could, either late first or early second. It's not a perfect solution, but we're not getting Luck or Griffin, and I believe 11's too early for any of the rest. It's at least a genuine attempt, instead of picking yet another in a long line of late-round hail mary's.

My bad. For some reason I still assume Orton is on our roster, becuse we could sign him today if we wanted to instead of waiting until tomorrow, no?

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm getting that sinking feeling that it's going to be Cassel and nobody else.

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Dude, KC has the cap space, the defense, and the offensive weapons to make it work.... So what's the problem then?

Same problem apparently a lot of these other teams have: we don't have Manning's buddies Elway or Whisenhunt in charge, so he doesn't have a comfort level with us.

If he starts saying OK to Seattle, Washington, Tennessee, etc, then maybe I'll buy the other theories. Heck, he's even stiffing Miami so far. It just comes across to me that this guy can pick and choose exactly who he wants to play for, and he's going with guys he knows and is comfortable with...

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM

I think they go hard after Orton. If Miami goes Flynn, and with the Redskins perhaps off the table for Orton, he may be willing to take the job here and battle Cassel.

That said, if Orton starts for us this year, I think we as a fanbase will look back on it at the end of the year and realize that we're no further along than we were with Cassel...

Okie_Apparition
03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Ship Cassel off to backup Cutler in Chicago
seems like a good fit for Lovie Smith's tastes

Bowser
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Whatever QB we draft in the 5th round.

Fuck you, Pioli.

y u hate Kellen Moore?

RINGLEADER
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I'll argue that Henne has talent. He doesn't. The rest of this article is invalid after that comment.

Orton is the best option, if we're not serious about Manning. Maybe Campbell, if he can come back and play like he was for the Raiders at the beginning of the year.

But seriously, if the options are going to be Henne, Cassel, or Quinn then what's the point Chiefs? Why are you spending money on Bowe and others if you continue to feel you can get by with mediocrity at the most important position?

RINGLEADER
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM

The same.

We better re-sign Carr given the other QBs we're facing in this division, but I don't expect KC to do much on that front either. Expect a lot of "Manning/Palmer/Rivers is really picking on Routt".

This front office continually keeps up a couple key players away from moving up into a position of consistent quality.

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I think they go hard after Orton. If Miami goes Flynn, and with the Redskins perhaps off the table for Orton, he may be willing to take the job here and battle Cassel.

That said, if Orton starts for us this year, I think we as a fanbase will look back on it at the end of the year and realize that we're no further along than we were with Cassel...I think 2010 was the best you'll ever get out of Cassel. And aside from the TD/INT ratio, which I believe was an aberration, it really wasn't all that good. I don't believe he's capable of completing a high percentage of passes unless you don't allow him to throw downfield at all. I don't believe he's capable of making good decisions unless, again, you don't allow him to throw downfield at all. I just don't believe that he's an NFL quarterback, in any real sense.

I think Orton is more than that. How much more? I don't know. Maybe not a whole lot. But there's no doubt in my mind that he's capable of being more than Cassel. I don't think he has the same limitations, I do think he's capable of pushing towards 4000 yards in a season, whereas I believe Cassel caps out around 3000. I believe he can better execute the offense, being more efficient, more productive and allowing it to be more explosive. While I don't know if he's capable of carrying a team, and in fact doubt it, I do think the possibility still exists, remote as it may be. Whereas I believe Cassel is the kind of quarterback that has no real strengths, and more disturbingly, requires you to constrain your offense to protect his weaknesses. I don't think there's any chance of him carrying a team, and in fact think he can basically only drag it down.

So if it's one or the other, I go with Orton. It's not guaranteed success by any means. And it may not be any better in the end. But Cassel's time is over. I think we've seen all we're ever going to see, and I don't think there's any chance that it will ever get any better.

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I'll argue that Henne has talent.

Orton is the best option, if we're not serious about Manning. Maybe Campbell, if he can come back and play like he was for the Raiders at the beginning of the year.

But seriously, if the options are going to be Henne, Cassel, or Quinn then what's the point Chiefs? Why are you spending money on Bowe and others if you continue to feel you can get by with mediocrity at the most important position?

There's three reasons why Campbell makes sense: Excellent with the play action, which is a must if we're going to be a run the ball/defense type team, can gun it down field, which is something Daboll wants his QB's to be able to do, and his familiarity with Zorn and the division...

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I think 2010 was the best you'll ever get out of Cassel. And aside from the TD/INT ratio, which I believe was an aberration, it really wasn't all that good. I don't believe he's capable of completing a high percentage of passes unless you don't allow him to throw downfield at all. I don't believe he's capable of making good decisions unless, again, you don't allow him to throw downfield at all. I just don't believe that he's an NFL quarterback, in any real sense.

I think Orton is more than that. How much more? I don't know. Maybe not a whole lot. But there's no doubt in my mind that he's capable of being more than Cassel. I don't think he has the same limitations, I do think he's capable of pushing towards 4000 yards in a season, whereas I believe Cassel caps out around 3000. I believe he can better execute the offense, being more efficient, more productive and allowing it to be more explosive. While I don't know if he's capable of carrying a team, and in fact doubt it, I do think the possibility still exists, remote as it may be. Whereas I believe Cassel is the kind of quarterback that has no real strengths, and more disturbingly, requires you to constrain your offense to protect his weaknesses. I don't think there's any chance of him carrying a team, and in fact think he can basically only drag it down.

So if it's one or the other, I go with Orton. It's not guaranteed success by any means. And it may not be any better in the end. But Cassel's time is over. I think we've seen all we're ever going to see, and I don't think there's any chance that it will ever get any better.

Oh I don't disagree. I don't think we get any further along with Cassel this year than we ever did in the past. But I also think Orton is one of those guys who looks better to us because we've had to watch Cassel for three years. I look at Orton's history, and he's not that much more accurate than Cassel. And he's known for struggling in the red zone. So if the guy starts this year over Cassel, once the initial happiness of that aspect wears off, we're going to start noticing Orton's limitations and complaining about those, and longing for Matt Barkley...

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Oh I don't disagree. I don't think we get any further along with Cassel this year than we ever did in the past. But I also think Orton is one of those guys who looks better to us because we've had to watch Cassel for three years. I look at Orton's history, and he's not that much more accurate than Cassel. And he's known for struggling in the red zone. So if the guy starts this year over Cassel, once the initial happiness of that aspect wears off, we're going to start noticing Orton's limitations and complaining about those, and longing for Matt Barkley...That's definitely true. We could have jesus at quarterback, and we'd be complaining in a matter of weeks. It's what we do.

Epic Fail 007
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
If ticket sales slip more,no cassel will not start. Fact

Okie_Apparition
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Don't loose your individuality
it's easy to get sucked in

Thig Lyfe
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Matt Hasselbeck if Manning signs with Tenn?????????

Coogs
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I think they go hard after Orton.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since Manning and RGIII are off of the board for us, can't we go hard for Orton before he hits the market tomorrow? If I were the Chiefs, I would if that is the case.

DaWolf
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but since Manning and RGIII are off of the board for us, can't we go hard for Orton before he hits the market tomorrow? If I were the Chiefs, I would if that is the case.

Yes you could. But it sounds to me like Orton wants to test the market and see if there are any outright starting jobs available. If not, there are probably plenty of teams who would like him as a backup/competitor to the starting job, so since that's what the Chiefs want, it would at least drive up the price for him. So it's probably in Orton's best interest to test the market...

Coogs
03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes you could. But it sounds to me like Orton wants to test the market and see if there are any outright starting jobs available. If not, there are probably plenty of teams who would like him as a backup/competitor to the starting job, so since that's what the Chiefs want, it would at least drive up the price for him. So it's probably in Orton's best interest to test the market...

There is one open here. Chiefs made that clear when we chased Peyton.

FAX
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
... At this rate, Scott will go down with that sinking ship that is Cassel in a year or so. And we get to then start all over ...

You know, I hear this a lot on the board.

What makes people think that Pioli will be fired after an additional year or two of Cassel block?

All I've ever heard from Clark are comments regarding how much faith and trust he has in Pioli. His eyes seem reasonably clear and he isn't glancing around in fear, so I don't think he's under duress when he says that stuff.

In a Bud Adams world, Clark would stand up like a real owner and demand a quarterback who can get us to the show. He hasn't done that either.

I guess I'm skeptical about the idea of Clark firing Pioli for anything less than felony littering.

FAX

PunkinDrublic
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
This article is beyond retarded. Jason Campbell is nowhere near as good as Orton. There's a reason why Campbell went to the faiders, nobody else wanted him. Orton on the other hand, had some suitors when the donks released him and played about as well as he could have given the shortened circumstances. No way Campbell comes in like that and finds a way to beat the Pack. If we can't upgrade I'm down with signing Kyle Orton. I think with Orton at QB and a running game our offense will be greatly improved. I'm willing to give Orton a chance to see what he can do with a full training camp with the offense. If Orton struggled in Denver it's because the recievers were shit once Brandon Marshall left.

Strongside
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
How about Jared Lorenzen? He's got my vote.

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jared-Lorenzen-River-Monsters.jpg

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I think people are over-estimating Kyle Orton. He's just another guy.

BoneKrusher
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jared-Lorenzen-River-Monsters.jpg

i like this idea, we can upgrade at QB and center with one guy.

Strongside
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
i like this idea, we can upgrade at QB and center with one guy.

Fuck that, we just make his fat ass go iron man style @ NT. Then we don't have to sign Solali. Pioli will LOVE this idea. It's economical. The only backdraw is that there is a potential for a shit ton of candy wrappers being tossed around.

Dmello12
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
i would rather start stanzi and let him gain experience than, orton cassell or any FA qb not named manning..

give him a shot, its better than what we've been putting on the field

PunkinDrublic
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Because the Hawkeyebators don't do the same thing with Stanzi.

58-4ever
03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
If the 49ers jump in the last minute, I want ALEX SMITH. I know that's not super sexy, but he led some GREAT 4th quarter drives in the NFC Championship game last year....

FAX
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM

For my part, it isn't an issue of over-estimating the guy. It's more about the fact that, as average as Orton is, he's a huge step up from Cassel. We have evidence to support that claim.

It's pretty clear that, in order to get things moving in the right direction, we have to move on from Cassel. There are many reasons for this.

One of which is that, unless or until Cassel is replaced, we won't explore other serious options because it's pretty obvious that Pioli sincerely believes in Cassel and either can't or won't come to terms with the realities of his limitations. It's a clear cut case of Casselocular Atrophy.

As a result, we must replace Cassel for Pioli's own good. If we had a quarterback without emotional ties to Pioli, he might become more objective and evolve into a better GM.

FAX

J Diddy
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
For my part, it isn't an issue of over-estimating the guy. It's more about the fact that, as average as Orton is, he's a huge step up from Cassel. We have evidence to support that claim.

It's pretty clear that, in order to get things moving in the right direction, we have to move on from Cassel. There are many reasons for this.

One of which is that, unless or until Cassel is replaced, we won't explore other serious options because it's pretty obvious that Pioli sincerely believes in Cassel and either can't or won't come to terms with the realities of his limitations. It's a clear cut case of Casselocular Atrophy.

As a result, we must replace Cassel for Pioli's own good. If we had a quarterback without emotional ties to Pioli, he might become more objective and evolve into a better GM.

FAX
"It's a clear cut case of Casselocular Atrophy."

Magnificent!

:clap:

Omaha
03-12-2012, 03:35 PM

No. Too fat.

Easy 6
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow, what a turd he turned out to be.

Dave Lane
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I agree that Orton is likely the best option at this point.

It's like trying to pick between a Fiero, Pinto, and an Aries K car.

Actually orton is the worst option. He's like settling for a station wagon. Yes he is better than Cassel but really barring getting Manning / a real QB I'd rather see Stanzi start. If he bombs we have a high enough pick to get a quality QB in next years draft. If he's a star then woohoo. Win win really.

Orton gets us 8-8 and the #17 pick in the draft. He's the Carl Peterson QB of choice.

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Because the Hawkeyebators don't do the same thing with Stanzi.

Since when did "give the guy a shot" equal anything more than "give the guy a shot"?

It's not the Hawkeye fans here who have the problem...

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM

FAX

Meh.

He got plenty of yards but last time I checked, points win football games. We actually scored LESS points with Orton...

PunkinDrublic
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Since when did "give the guy a shot" equal anything more than "give the guy a shot"?

It's not the Hawkeye fans here who have the problem...

Like it or not it is a big part of it. The other part of it is some people are wanting to develop and start anybody the Chiefs happen to draft at QB just for the sake of doing something different.

FAX
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Meh.

He got plenty of yards but last time I checked, points win football games. We actually scored LESS points with Orton...

Not even remotely my point, but whatever.

Actually I don't read a lot of the posts to which I reply, either, to be honest. And those I do read, I rarely understand. That's what makes posting so exciting. Anything can happen.

FAX

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Like it or not it is a big part of it. The other part of it is some people are wanting to develop and start anybody the Chiefs happen to draft at QB just for the sake of doing something different.

What?

You mean BossChief? I really wish people would stop projecting ONE GUY onto all Hawkeye fans here.

It doesn't matter one god damn bit that he played at Iowa. He was a 2.5-year starter at a BCS school and won an Orange Bowl as a starter.

He deserves a CHANCE, that's all. Nothing more to read into it than that.

htismaqe
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Not even remotely my point, but whatever.

Actually I don't read a lot of the posts to which I reply, either, to be honest. And those I do read, I rarely understand. That's what makes posting so exciting. Anything can happen.

FAX

I understand the need to move on to Cassel, but if we're moving on to a guy that is basically every bit as inept as Cassel, is it worth it?

Micjones
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Orton/Tannehill.

evolve27
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Nick Foles

FAX
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I understand the need to move on to Cassel, but if we're moving on to a guy that is basically every bit as inept as Cassel, is it worth it?

Actually, I submit that it is.

Unless or until Cassel is gone, Pioli's objectivity on the subject of starting Chiefs quarterbacks has to be legitimately questioned. Otherwise, we would have provided "real" competition for him already. Pioli is blind to Cassel's limitations. I have no idea why (it could be any number of reasons), but the evidence for that claim is obvious to all. Pioli has no relationship or history with Orton. That, in and of itself, makes him an improvement for the Chiefs as an organization.

It's a question of looking at improving one position or bettering the franchise overall and for the long term. Therefore, we need to axe Cassel for Pioli's own good. So, to whom do we turn?

I have long advocated that the Chiefs find and acquire their own, young quarterback ... someone who can establish an identity here and can grow with the team. But, until we get rid of Cassel, it doesn't appear that's going to happen. Eventually, Cassel will either retire or die of stupidity. In the meantime, the closest thing we have to hope that we can move on are Crennel's comments that he'd like to keep Orton.

Just trying to face facts. Sad though they may be.

FAX

Red Beans
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
No. Too fat.

Indeed. He looks like a fatter version of Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. We sign him, and end up resigning Richardson, then after 8 games of Richardson doing his best I-70 impression... The two meet one late evening while scavenging Arrowhead for half eaten nachos and chili cheese fries. And then... WHAMMO! Private lorenzen whips out that M-16 and goes all, "This is my rifle!" on his ass...

whoman69
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Meh.

Orton is great between the 20s. One thing he would add is that it will make the running game even better. You're right, he doesn't add to the scoreboard. He doesn't have the vision with a short field.

IMO, barring Peyton he is only one of the three options that would show Pioli wasn't lying when he said there would be competition for Cassel. The other two would be Flynn and Campbell, neither one I would consider great. Campbell is on par with Orton. Flynn is a relative unknown that is younger and has upside.

keg in kc
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Meh.

He got plenty of yards but last time I checked, points win football games. We actually scored LESS points with Orton...No way. I'm stunned that would happen with a quarterback picked-up at midseason that hurt his finger on his first snap. He should've been able to step right in and be awesome.

As far as "every bit as inept" goes, that's what you get when you look at stats in a bubble. Nobody is as inept as Cassel. This is a guy that smoked and mirrored his way to looking almost mediocre in 2010. You're massively underselling just how bad he really is. The guy was given every opportunity to prove what kind of quarterback he is, and he has. He's terribadwfullorendousgusting. You can see it on the field, with the combination dead-eyed deer in the headlight look that he has. He has absolutely no clue what to do or where to go with the ball. You're saying Orton is that inept?

Orton is just a guy. I don't think that anybody would argue that he's not. But the fact that he is puts him on a plateau above Cassel. And all that's available right now are guys. The point that some of us are making is that Orton may be the best just a guy among the crop of just a guys that we're limited to. We're down to a choice with extremely limited options. Cassel isn't the answer. Stanzi isn't likely the answer, at least not now. Maybe in 2013. Maybe in 2014. Maybe never. This thread appears to be about the whole group of guys left to pick from. And I'd argue they may all be better choices than Cassel. I'd further argue that Orton may be the best option amongst that group. That doesn't mean I think he's going to turn into a top-5 quarterback. But I would suspect he'd be better for this franchise moving forward than the abyss that is matt cassel. Which of course doesn't mean he can't fall flat on his face. But I think there's a chance he might not. Maybe it's a slim chance. But it is a chance. Unfortunately there's absolutely no chance with what we have now. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Which is why we're talking about Orton. Or anybody else we bring up.

mr. tegu
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I would have to go with Orton over anyone on this list (besides Manning). He has never had great numbers but he also never had much talent around him. Chicago had nobody to throw the ball to when he was there. And in the few games with us he was without a viable TE and Charles. I imagine with those guys back and a full training camp, he would at least put up numbers like Cassel in 2010 and would shame Cassel's 2011 peformance.

Bugeater
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Who?

I'll tell you who.

Who fucking cares.

That's who.

O.city
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I think with the full skill positions players healthy and a good draft, we could put enough weapons around Orton to succeed in the red zone.

I dunno, i'm reaching for straws

PunkinDrublic
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I would have to go with Orton over anyone on this list (besides Manning). He has never had great numbers but he also never had much talent around him. Chicago had nobody to throw the ball to when he was there. And in the few games with us he was without a viable TE and Charles. I imagine with those guys back and a full training camp, he would at least put up numbers like Cassel in 2010 and would shame Cassel's 2011 peformance.

What are you talking about he's on the same level as Cambell:rolleyes:

Pasta Little Brioni
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Show us a list of the available franchise QB's.

Still waiting for an answer to this. Hell there hasn't been one available in the Pioli era, but that doesn't stop people from bitching that he didn't build a robot version of one or some shit.

Marky Baywatch whooptyfuckingslapdickdoo.