PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports March Madness Poll: 12-15 seeds

lcarus
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Vote for which 12-15 seed has the best opportunity for an upset. Pick one.

lcarus
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I seem to always pick Vanderbilt to get upset, and I like to pick Ivy League schools. Probably going with Harvard on that one, and as usual, I'll probably lose my bracket early...

Trevo_410
03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Get owned beaks

sedated
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Belmont is the top upset pick my mind, although Georgetown is a very good team.

I'm also taking Davidson, Long Beach State, and Ohio to win their first games.

lcarus
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I've heard Detroit is a good team for a 15 seed. Could spell trouble for Kansas. With Detroit, Saint Mary's, and Belmont in their part of the bracket....christ I could see another early exit. Better KU teams have fallen to worse low seeds, that's for sure.

WV
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
VCU

sedated
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I've heard Detroit is a good team for a 15 seed. Could spell trouble for Kansas. With Detroit, Saint Mary's, and Belmont in their part of the bracket....christ I could see another early exit. Better KU teams have fallen to worse low seeds, that's for sure.

Ya know, I think its getting a little excessive with the “KU can’t beat mid-majors” stuff, so I want to offer this:

KU losses against mid-majors since 2004 (Bill Self’s first year):
- Bucknell, 2005
- Bradley, 2006
- Northern Iowa, 2010
- VCU, 2011 (in the elite eight no less)

KU victories against mid-majors since 2004:
- Boston U, 2011
- Richmond, 2011
- Lehigh, 2010
- North Dakota State, 2009
- Dayton, 2009
- Portland State, 2008
- UNLV, 2008
- Davidson, 2008
- Niagara, 2007
- Southern Illinois, 2007
- UIC, 2004
- Pacific, 2004
- UAB, 2004

Bearcat
03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Ya know, I think its getting a little excessive with the “KU can’t beat mid-majors” stuff, so I want to offer this:

- Bucknell, 2005
- Bradley, 2006
- Northern Iowa, 2010

- Boston U, 2011
- Richmond, 2011
- Lehigh, 2010
- Dayton, 2009
- Portland State, 2008
- UNLV, 2008
- Davidson, 2008
- Niagara, 2007
- UIC, 2004
- Pacific, 2004
- UAB, 2004

And other programs lose in the first weekend just as often... Izzo loses in the first round over a 3rd of the time, about the same as KU with Roy and Self. Coach K is about a quarter of the time, even though he's obviously had more success in the FF than just about anyone.

I guess if KU missed the tournament, like UNC did after winning their first NC, or was a 6 seed every once in a while, like Duke was when they lost to VCU, it wouldn't look as bad? Damn them, never falling flat on their face during the regular season....

Bambi
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM

- Bucknell, 2005
- Bradley, 2006
- Northern Iowa, 2010

- Boston U, 2011
- Richmond, 2011
- Lehigh, 2010
- Dayton, 2009
- Portland State, 2008
- UNLV, 2008
- Davidson, 2008
- Niagara, 2007
- UIC, 2004
- Pacific, 2004
- UAB, 2004

When you live in the tourney and you're never below a 3-4 seed it's tough to win them all.

Predarat
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I am going with Harvard (12) vs. Vanderbilt (5). Only three things are certain in life, death, taxes and Vandy choking.

eazyb81
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Everyone is picking LBSU as the trendy 12 seed Cinderella, so that means it clearly won't happen.

Watch something crazy happen like VCU making the Final Four again.

lcarus
03-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I am going with Harvard (12) vs. Vanderbilt (5). Only three things are certain in life, death, taxes and Vandy choking.

This. However Vanderbilt did just beat Kentucky for the SEC Tournament, so who knows this year.

Predarat
03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
This. However Vanderbilt did just beat Kentucky for the SEC Tournament, so who knows this year.

There was not alot of pressure for them to win that, there is HUGE pressure for them to win one tourney game. Now if they get past the first game, they could make a run.

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Anyone who thinks that New Mexico will get beat be Long Beach St. either is an idiot, or just taking a guess and doesn't watch college basketball. If New Mexico played as well in the first half of the season as they did the whole second half of the season they would be a top 12-15 team with a 3-4 seeding in the tourney. Watch! No, I am not a homer. I am a stonch UNLV running Rebel basketball fan, and I know this team well due to conference play over the years and being a season ticket holder. They are strong. They will make a push deep in the tourney. Yes, they were seeded properly on a whole season to judge by. But, they were even better the WHOLE second half of the year. They could be a 3-4 seed based on their second half of the season play. Go U..N..L..V.., UNLV Go, Fight, Win! REB-----ELS!

eazyb81
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Anyone who thinks that New Mexico will get beat be Long Beach St. either is an idiot, or just taking a guess and doesn't watch college basketball. If New Mexico played as well in the first half of the season as they did the whole second half of the season they would be a top 12-15 team with a 3-4 seeding in the tourney. Watch! No, I am not a homer. I am a stonch UNLV running Rebel basketball fan, and I know this team well due to conference play over the years and being a season ticket holder. They are strong. They will make a push deep in the tourney. Yes, they were seeded properly on a whole season to judge by. But, they were even better the WHOLE second half of the year. Go REBELS!

You realize every at-large team in the bracket can make a similar argument, right?

Teams aren't seeded lower because they suck. Their seeded lower because they are inconsistent.

Bearcat
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Anyone who thinks that New Mexico will get beat be Long Beach St. either is an idiot, or just taking a guess and doesn't watch college basketball. If New Mexico played as well in the first half of the season as they did the whole second half of the season they would be a top 12-15 team with a 3-4 seeding in the tourney. Watch!

LBS lost to SDSU in OT, and played a few other teams close (KU, UNC, Creighton)... looks like New Mexico had a non-con SoS of 294, so maybe that's why they looked so good? They did take 2/3 from SDSU though, and it's almost too sexy of a pick at this point... tough pick.

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
They are not inconsistent. If you read the post. The whole second half of the season isn't inconsistent. They had injuries early as well. Plus, study up. They are not a at large bid. They won the conference, and the conference tourney. Appreciate the stupidity though.

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
They will crush LBS. We could banter all day. I watch college basketball. I don't watch the highlights on sports center and regurgitate W's & L's. I watched. SDSU took them so lightly, worst game of the season. New Mexico beat UNLV who would take a giant dump on LBS as well. Time, patience, solitude my friends. The score will tell. then you can be learned.

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
LBS lost to SDSU in OT, and played a few other teams close (KU, UNC, Creighton)... looks like New Mexico had a non-con SoS of 294, so maybe that's why they looked so good? They did take 2/3 from SDSU though, and it's almost too sexy of a pick at this point... tough pick.

You are right. They played KINDA close, and lost, because they the big name teams take nights off against horrible teams. It happens everywhere across all leagues when the strong and weak teams play. Who have they beat? =0=

veist
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Tough choice between Belmont, Cal and LBSU I think at least one of them pulls the upset.

Bearcat
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
You are right. They played KINDA close, and lost, because they the big name teams take nights off against horrible teams. It happens everywhere across all leagues when the strong and weak teams play. Who have they beat? =0=

Meh, off the top of my head, Davidson did the same thing in '08... close losses to UNC, Duke, UCLA, but no big wins... then they were a 3 pointer away from beating the top 3 seeds in their region and going to the Final Four.

Not saying LBS is that team, but if they were horrible, surely SDSU or UNC or Kansas or Creighton would have really taken care of business... and they weren't just KINDA close, LBS and UNC were tied with 10 minutes left before UNC won by 8, and they lost to SDSU in OT, and beat Xavier.

This seems pretty important to you, so I guess you'll owe us all a big I told ya so if New Mexico wins by 20... good luck with that. :shrug:

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
It's not important to me. I just watched and know what will happen. I am a UNLV fan. The mouton west has four teams in the tourney. New Mexico beat them all. Who did LBS beat that is in the tourney. Just a, thats what I thought. I like the conversation and debate. I just like pertinent info for people to rebut with. Keeping it close with good teams when you are a nobody team is because the good team takes a night off. But, all in all. Good responses. Happy days my CHIEF friends. Tomahawk CHOP!

Trevo_410
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Kansas vs. Belmont

Bearcat
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
It's not important to me. I just watched and know what will happen. I am a UNLV fan. The mouton west has four teams in the tourney. New Mexico beat them all. Who did LBS beat that is in the tourney. Just a, thats what I thought. I like the conversation and debate. I just like pertinent info for people to rebut with. Keeping it close with good teams when you are a nobody team is because the good team takes a night off. But, all in all. Good responses. Happy days my CHIEF friends. Tomahawk CHOP!

That's where we disagree, when it comes to a handful of games... sure, one close game doesn't mean much, but 5 or 6 close games is either a lot of teams taking a day off or a hint that LBS might be a pretty decent team. I watched LBS vs KU, so that's really all I have to go by, since I don't catch much of NM. Plus, they're in the high 30s in kenpom and I think about the same in Sagarin.

I understand what you're saying... almost-wins aren't nearly as impressive as wins, but I'll be surprised if anyone in their weekend pod walks all over LBS.

mr. tegu
03-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Anyone who thinks that New Mexico will get beat be Long Beach St. either is an idiot, or just taking a guess and doesn't watch college basketball. If New Mexico played as well in the first half of the season as they did the whole second half of the season they would be a top 12-15 team with a 3-4 seeding in the tourney. Watch! No, I am not a homer. I am a stonch UNLV running Rebel basketball fan, and I know this team well due to conference play over the years and being a season ticket holder. They are strong. They will make a push deep in the tourney. Yes, they were seeded properly on a whole season to judge by. But, they were even better the WHOLE second half of the year. They could be a 3-4 seed based on their second half of the season play. Go U..N..L..V.., UNLV Go, Fight, Win! REB-----ELS!

I have watched New Mexico go on loooooong scoring droughts. Too inconsistent and LBSU has played a decent schedule. To say anyone picking LBSU is an "idiot" is pretty idiotic IMO. New Mexico may win but they are beatable. You may not be a homer but I smell some conference bias.

mr. tegu
03-12-2012, 09:11 PM

I still think like you that New Mexico wins because of their terrific D. I forger the big kid's name on the inside at the moment but I imagine he will have a big game and hold off LBSU in a close one.

I voted for New Mexico St but I think that reflects more on my opinion of Indiana.

Nzoner
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
That's where we disagree, when it comes to a handful of games... sure, one close game doesn't mean much, but 5 or 6 close games is either a lot of teams taking a day off or a hint that LBS might be a pretty decent team. I watched LBS vs KU, so that's really all I have to go by, since I don't catch much of NM. Plus, they're in the high 30s in kenpom and I think about the same in Sagarin.

I understand what you're saying... almost-wins aren't nearly as impressive as wins, but I'll be surprised if anyone in their weekend pod walks all over LBS.

Right now Vegas only has LBS as a 4 point dog.

RealSNR
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I like both Davidson and Long Beach State to come up with wins in the first round. I'm also very tempted to pick Belmont over Georgetown, because fuck Georgetown. Seems like they've done nothing but lose in the first two rounds every goddamn year recently.

mr. tegu
03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I like both Davidson and Long Beach State to come up with wins in the first round. I'm also very tempted to pick Belmont over Georgetown, because **** Georgetown. Seems like they've done nothing but lose in the first two rounds every goddamn year recently.

Then Kansas can get revenge! I love it! :clap:

Dartgod
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Then Kansas can get revenge! I love it! :clap:

Meh. They're no Bucknell. :p

frankotank
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM

I have it on good authority that Vandy goes to the final four this year!
you heard it hear first folks! one of my two brackets has them there. therefore my upset is Vandy over Cuse (I don't think Vandy will be playing Wisconsin!!! so beating MT wouldn't be an upset)
gonna be fun!!

frankotank
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Belmont is the top upset pick my mind, although Georgetown is a very good team.

I'm also taking Davidson, Long Beach State, and Ohio to win their first games.

YOU SONOFABITCH! how COULD YOU!?! Gottlieb much?? :D

frankotank
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM

sometimes. most certainly NOT all the time. matter of fact...I'd say this is rarely the reason. if it's a good team they would know better. you can't blanket statement all "nobody teams" that win against power houses into the "you got lucky" corner. that's what's so awesome about college basketball. the power house may be playing their best....and the nobody gets one guy going that just can't miss. game over.

veist
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I have it on good authority that Vandy goes to the final four this year!
you heard it hear first folks! one of my two brackets has them there. therefore my upset is Vandy over Cuse (I don't think Vandy will be playing Wisconsin!!! so beating MT wouldn't be an upset)
gonna be fun!!

I don't trust Vandy to beat Harvard, they've mastered the round of 64 choke.