PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cool site tracking players in the upcoming draft

jcroft
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
One of my Twitter followers sent me a site he's been working on. Thought it was pretty cool, and you guys might like to see it:

http://fourthandshort.org

(I'm a digital product designer and a lot of my followers are web/app designers/developers. I don't really know the guy behind this or anything else about the site, but it looked pretty interesting at a glance.)

KCrockaholic
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I like! But where do they get their info?

Thorpilian
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Really cool site. Thanks Brudda!

Dante84
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Well this is fucking awesome, if theres any validity to the "team interest" portion.

Does he research reported interest and then assign it a grade based on amount of interest?

Curious as to the validity of it.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
So Poe is the guy?

jcroft
03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
FYI, the creator of the site has registered for an account here to talk to you all and answer some questions about how it works, but he's waiting on the account to be approved.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
FYI, the creator of the site has registered for an account here to talk to you all and answer some questions about how it works, but he's waiting on the account to be approved.

Cool. Thanks, man.

listopencil
03-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Good. I'd like to hear how "team interest" is figured.

exaboy
03-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Good. I'd like to hear how "team interest" is figured.
Hi all, as Jeff has mentioned I am the creator of the site and thought it would be useful to enlighten you on how it works.

In simple terms I am monitoring different media streams and every time a player is mentioned in context with a team a relationship is created. Some sentiment analysis is being done on the text to gauge if the comments are positive, neutral or negative.

I'd like to thank you all for your support and would welcome any feedback you have to make it better.

Jon

exaboy
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Since my last update i've revamped the interface, and optimised the performance (minor tweaks) i've also built some new functionality which i will continue to work on.

Thank you all for your ongoing support, You guys are contributing to a large portion of the traffic but the Raiders & Jets are close behind!

ChiefRocka
03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I think Poe is the pick...we get our Wilfork. Crennel will coach him up...I'm good with it.

BigChiefFan
03-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi all, as Jeff has mentioned I am the creator of the site and thought it would be useful to enlighten you on how it works.

In simple terms I am monitoring different media streams and every time a player is mentioned in context with a team a relationship is created. Some sentiment analysis is being done on the text to gauge if the comments are positive, neutral or negative.

I'd like to thank you all for your support and would welcome any feedback you have to make it better.

JonSounds like alot of work, but the site is really cool. From the looks of things, I'd say Poe is the pick.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2012, 01:13 AM

Jon

groovy website dude

exaboy
03-16-2012, 06:59 AM
groovy website dude

Cheers mate, thanks for all your support its been great so far!

One thing I'm struggling with is the Draft order from rounds 1 to 7.
Everyone is talking about the first round and I'm aware there have been some trades but regardless I would like to know the order from picks 1 to 254.

If you know and want to enlighten me please do. :)

listopencil
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Cheers mate, thanks for all your support its been great so far!

One thing I'm struggling with is the Draft order from rounds 1 to 7.
Everyone is talking about the first round and I'm aware there have been some trades but regardless I would like to know the order from picks 1 to 254.

If you know and want to enlighten me please do. :)

Houston...we have a problem. Apparently when the Broncos signed FA Safety Mike Adams it registered on your site as draft prospect OT Mike Adams. So now the Broncos have an eleventy brazillion per cent chance of selecting him with their first pick.

listopencil
03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Once you take OT Adams out of the picture I can see why the other guys fall in the order that they do though. Luck and Griffith are only there because the Broncos are going hard and heavy after Manning, which draws a lot of #1/#2 pick talk. The other guys have been mentioned as serious consideration for the Broncos, and would make sense.

exaboy
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the pick-up, I have sorted that out now :)

I identified the same issue for Brandon Marshall, I feel for these poor blokes!
I'm working on the draft section and the picks for teams over the weekend so should have some very interesting info coming out from the stats.

listopencil
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the pick-up, I have sorted that out now :)

I identified the same issue for Brandon Marshall, I feel for these poor blokes!
I'm working on the draft section and the picks for teams over the weekend so should have some very interesting info coming out from the stats.

Cool, sounds good.

exaboy
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Mock Draft is in and makes for some interesting debate! I don't know if there are common guidelines around picks in the early rounds such as don't draft Guards till later on etc. I'm pleased with the results.

#1 Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
#2 Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
#3 Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
#4 Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii
#5 Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
#6 Bobby Massie, T, Mississippi
#7 Dominique Hamilton, DT, Missouri
#8 Chris Galippo, LB, USC

exaboy
04-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Oooh how "time reveals all" those picks are a shadow of what is being reflected by mass media now.

#1, David DeCastro, G, Stanford
#2, Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
#3, Alameda Ta'Amu, DT, Washington
#4, Bryce Brown, RB, Kansas State
#5, Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
#6, Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri
#7, Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
#7, Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State

:clap:

bevischief
04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Interesting.

Setsuna
04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Whoa, whoa...why isn't hill or quick on our projected list? Some dude from Illinois? Bah!

Strongside
04-05-2012, 07:51 AM
This guy...
http://fourthandshort.org/img/players/2533333.jpg

WV
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Wonder how likely it is to draft a T in the 2nd? With the pick up of Winston we still need depth, but not sure we'll go there at 2?

htismaqe
04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Wonder how likely it is to draft a T in the 2nd? With the pick up of Winston we still need depth, but not sure we'll go there at 2?

Not just a tackle but Reiff. Does anybody think he'll make it to the 2nd?

exaboy
04-07-2012, 08:13 PM
A few people were noticing colleges were throwing spanners in the works, but I've since now resolved this.

The best example was that the Dolphins were looking likely to draft their Miami University offerings.
Like that would ever happen! Well it might do them some good. :hmmm:

lcarus
04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
That's a pretty cool looking site

exaboy
04-07-2012, 08:29 PM
That's a pretty cool looking site

It's actually come a long way since first being mentioned here by Jeff. Originally it was just collecting and the player view was the only mode. Since then the data has been so rich I was able to use it in some very interesting ways.

I cant wait for the Draft now It will be interesting just to see how accurate it will be. I'm thinking pretty close.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-07-2012, 08:31 PM
So Tannehill is #1 on our draft board?

exaboy
04-07-2012, 08:36 PM
So Tannehill is #1 on our draft board?

Maybe if you are the Miami Dolphins...
According to this data, you are looking at David DeCastro for pick #1 :)

While i'm here, i do believe I got a plug on the ArrowHead*something* radio station the other night. Did any of you hear that?

KChiefer
04-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Why is Dontari Poe wearing a wife beater?

exaboy
04-08-2012, 04:51 PM
It was the only decent shot on google images I could find of him. kinda suits him don'tcha reckon :)