PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone here own a Ruger Mini-14 .223?

pr_capone
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Considering picking this one up once back in stock. Not planning on going hunting with it, just spending time at the range plinking targets more than anything else.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56841/Ruger+Mini+14+.223+CollapsableFolding+Stock

I definitely want a semi-auto and something in the .223 caliber so an AR-15 is not out of the question but the Ruger seems to be outstanding value.

Brock
03-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I have one, it's just a plain wood stock. It's a nice little gun, but I enjoy shooting my SKS a little more.

Simply Red
03-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I have one, it's just a plain wood stock. It's a nice little gun, but I enjoy shooting my SKS a little more.

SKS? dope bro

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 12:22 AM
came available on budsgunshop just now. jumped on it.

CoMoChief
03-13-2012, 12:29 AM
link's broken

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 12:34 AM
link's broken

hrm... odd. I just used it 30 minutes ago.

here is a new one...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56841/Ruger+Mini+14+.223+CollapsableFolding+Stock

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 12:38 AM
any recommendations on glass?

tmax63
03-13-2012, 05:39 AM
On the cheap end I have used alot of Simmons with good success. Mid grade Leupold is hard to beat for their customer service/warranty. Higher end you get into the Swaro's, Zeiss, the German optics. General line is that Leupold is about the best total value around but you're looking at $350 to $1000 depending on what you get.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Mini 14 is a great rifle. Had one since I was 16. I wouldn't ruin it with a scope, it's a great open sight rifle. You can hold it by the barrel and tap the buttstock on the ground and it will chamber a bullet. It's a wonderful gun.

petegz28
03-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Yep. This is my 2nd one. I live these little fuckers.

InChiefsHeaven
03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Mini 14 is a great rifle. Had one since I was 16. I wouldn't ruin it with a scope, it's a great open sight rifle. You can hold it by the barrel and tap the buttstock on the ground and it will chamber a bullet. It's a wonderful gun.

I'm a bit new to this, but why would that be a GOOD thing?

God of Thunder
03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Are you local to KC? If so, i'll let you come try anything you want.

InChiefsHeaven
03-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Are you local to KC? If so, i'll let you come try anything you want.

This just sounds wrong...

God of Thunder
03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
This just sounds wrong...

Just to clarify, I have over 1200 guns on hand, all unique, and my own personal range.....IF you want to try a particular gun, trust me, I have it.

For instance......how many of you have fired a Beretta M93R? How about a WW2 grease gun!? Or pick any automatic rifle.

Dayze
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
I was thinkign of building an AR this year for plinking/fun etc. but after shooting the S&W MP .22 (with supressor), I'm considering getting it instead.

Fun as heck to plink with; cheap ammo etc.

...then spending the money I'd save on possibly a Kimber or Sig 1911

InChiefsHeaven
03-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Just to clarify, I have over 1200 guns on hand, all unique, and my own personal range.....IF you want to try a particular gun, trust me, I have it.

For instance......how many of you have fired a Beretta M93R? How about a WW2 grease gun!? Or pick any automatic rifle.

Heh. Just givin' ya a little shit. Good Morning.

God of Thunder
03-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Heh. Just givin' ya a little shit. Good Morning.

Oh i know, but on Chiefs Planet......I have to make sure EVERYONE knows that I don't swing that way.....lol

Paniero
03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
God of Thunder, that's really nice of you. PR, let me know what you think. Are you living in Aguadilla? Its one of my favorite places in Puerto Rico, but I'm not aware of the gun laws there.

God of Thunder
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM
God of Thunder, that's really nice of you. PR, let me know what you think. Are you living in Aguadilla? Its one of my favorite places in Puerto Rico, but I'm not aware of the gun laws there.

sometimes, I surprise people! :)

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm a bit new to this, but why would that be a GOOD thing?

Becuase you don't have to set your beer down . Duuuh!

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I appreciate the offer GoT! Already bought it but next time I'm in the KC area I may have to come play anyways. :D

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 09:52 AM

No, I'm in KS but I am from Aguadilla and 99% of my family is still over there.

LiveSteam
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Have fun with it. The Mini action (Garand action) is hard on scopes. If you want glass? I would use 1911 buffers on both sides of your OP rod & a different gas bushing or a tune-able gas block.
The mini will launch spent brass 15 to 20 yards new out of the box.

A lot of info on all types of Mini's hear
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

pr_capone
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Have fun with it. The Mini action (Garand action) is hard on scopes. If you want glass? I would use 1911 buffers on both sides of your OP rod & a different gas bushing or a tune-able gas block.
The mini will launch spent brass 15 to 20 yards new out of the box.

A lot of info on all types of Mini's hear
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

Is it equally hard on electric optics?

Holladay
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM

The grease guns are a hoot. You wouldnt happen to have a M2 50 cal?? If so, I'll be down this weekend:)

Dayze
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
what is a grease gun?

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
The grease guns are a hoot. You wouldnt happen to have a M2 50 cal?? If so, I'll be down this weekend:)

:thumb: Ma Deuce is a bad bitch.

LiveSteam
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
what is a grease gun?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/M3-SMG.jpg/800px-M3-SMG.jpg

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
what is a grease gun?

They get the name because they look like an old time hand pump grease gun, LiveStream posted a picture.
I’ve heard they have a strange trait in that the cyclic rate increases as it warms up. So it’s shooting faster when you release the trigger than when you first pulled it. Any truth to that?

Donger
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range?

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Hey, just what you see, pal.

38yrsfan
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Mini 14 is a great rifle. Had one since I was 16. I wouldn't ruin it with a scope, it's a great open sight rifle.

This.

Shot many 1000s of rounds out of these ... great plinkers with a bigger tickle than a .22.

Only mods I did to the basic wood stock version were to replace the wood one with a ventilated metal handguard, added a flash suppressor and a peep sight.

Head shots at 100+ yards, open sight, weren't uncommon.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Considering picking this one up once back in stock. Not planning on going hunting with it, just spending time at the range plinking targets more than anything else.

I definitely want a semi-auto and something in the .223 caliber so an AR-15 is not out of the question but the Ruger seems to be outstanding value.

Honestly, that looks like an assault rifle. Aren't they banned?

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 01:13 PM

No. Bush allowed the Clinton “assault weapons ban” lapse, we’re back to where we started. Accept for the price of those things, that hasn’t gone back to normal yet.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
No. Bush allowed the Clinton “assault weapons ban” lapse, we’re back to where we started. Accept for the price of those things, that hasn’t gone back to normal yet.

Oh.

My wife recently said that she wanted a firearm in the house after years of saying she would never want one. We have a place up in the mountains, and that's where it would be. Protection from bears and lions, mostly, as well as potential weirdo mountain types. Both inside the house and outside on hikes and stuff.

What type of weapon would you guys recommend?

LiveSteam
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM

In the UK & in Comifornia the High capacity magazines are illegal

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Oh.

My wife recently said that she wanted a firearm in the house after years of saying she would never want one. We have a place up in the mountains, and that's where it would be. Protection from bears and lions, mostly, as well as potential weirdo mountain types. Both inside the house and outside on hikes and stuff.

What type of weapon would you guys recommend?

Bit of a loaded question there Donger. How proficient would you say you are with a rifle? Handgun? Shotgun?
A shotgun is typically the best choice for the inexperienced because it puts out a big punch up close and it’s forgiving of aim, just point and click. Thing is you’re going to have to carry some high powered loads for bear protection, not even sure you can get a load big enough to stop a charging grizzly. That typically requires a pretty big rifle caliber or monster handgun one.

Frazod
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Bwana would be the one to ask - I'm thinking if you're talking a handgun probably something in the .44 range. It might knock your wife on her ass when she fires it, though.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Bit of a loaded question there Donger.

Very punny.

How proficient would you say you are with a rifle? Handgun? Shotgun?

I've never shot any firearms.

A shotgun is typically the best choice for the inexperienced because it puts out a big punch up close and it’s forgiving of aim, just point and click. Thing is you’re going to have to carry some high powered loads for bear protection, not even sure you can get a load big enough to stop a charging grizzly. That typically requires a pretty big rifle caliber or monster handgun one.

I was thinking shotgun, but I'd prefer not to carry around a rifle-thingy on hikes. So, I guess that would leave a handgun. But, I'm guessing that hitting a charging lion while simultaneously defecating and shaking would be problematic. And, that takes me back to a shotgun.

Dayze
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
semi auto shotgun :D

Frazod
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I figure buckshot would be effective against a mountain lion. Might just piss a bear off, though.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
In the UK & in Comifornia the High capacity magazines are illegal

I don't live in either.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
semi auto shotgun :D

That means you don't have to "pump" the thing for each shot, right? How easy is it to "pump" a shotgun, anyway? Can women do it easily?

Dayze
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
That means you don't have to "pump" the thing for each shot, right? How easy is it to "pump" a shotgun, anyway? Can women do it easily?

correct.

one trigger pull, one shot until out of ammo.
Women should be able to pump it easily.

that's what she said.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I figure buckshot would be effective against a mountain lion. Might just piss a bear off, though.

I really wouldn't want to kill it as a goal, mind you. I would just want to scare it and have it go away (not eat us).

I suppose I could just bring some of my English relatives over. That would probably do the trick, too.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
correct.

one trigger pull, one shot until out of ammo.
Women should be able to pump it easily.

that's what she said.

Neat. So it uses Newton's third to expel the spent shell and load another one?

God of Thunder

I do not have one of these.

No.

They get the name because they look like an old time hand pump grease gun, LiveStream posted a picture.
I’ve heard they have a strange trait in that the cyclic rate increases as it warms up. So it’s shooting faster when you release the trigger than when you first pulled it. Any truth to that?

Honestly, due to the nature of my work, I am not allowed to cycle more than 6 rounds through a time, otherwise, people get nervous.

Frazod
For a semi-auto, you just pull the trigger. Pump action isn't difficult, but it's obviously not quite as fast/easy.

Check these out.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_871/Home+Defense+Shotguns/

Fish
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd recommend trying out a Taurus Judge. It's both a handgun and a shotgun.. It will shoot both .45 rounds and .410 shotgun rounds/slugs. Small enough to carry with you, and you get the advantage of having buckshot so you don't have to have perfect aim.

Great for self defense. And you can load .45 for bear when out hiking.

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Very punny. ;)

I've never shot any firearms.

That would be a bit of a problem.

I was thinking shotgun, but I'd prefer not to carry around a rifle-thingy on hikes. So, I guess that would leave a handgun. But, I'm guessing that hitting a charging lion while simultaneously defecating and shaking would be problematic. And, that takes me back to a shotgun.

A handgun big enough to stop a charging griz is going to be big, punishing to shoot and unless you’re willing to put in the range time to learn it would be something better left to experts.
A shotgun with some double 00 buck magnums will drop a 200# deer out to about 80 yards so the same thing should handle a cougar just fine. Just know that a griz can be more than double that body weight and so will require a bigger shock to stop.

Dayze
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Neat. So it uses Newton's third to expel the spent shell and load another one?

correct.
not sure about semi-auto shotguns, but on semi-auto rifles gases from the round traveling down the barrel, cycles the bolt carrier either directly vai piston, or by the gas itself.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
For a semi-auto, you just pull the trigger. Pump action isn't difficult, but it's obviously not quite as fast/easy.

Check these out.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_871/Home+Defense+Shotguns/

Wow. Those are really inexpensive. I think that I'd want one with a stock though. Don't shotguns have a pretty good kick (more as the gauge gets lower)?

God of Thunder
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd recommend trying out a Taurus Judge. It's both a handgun and a shotgun.. It will shoot both .45 rounds and .410 shotgun rounds/slugs. Small enough to carry with you, and you get the advantage of having buckshot so you don't have to have perfect aim.

I have this.....

Frazod
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I really wouldn't want to kill it as a goal, mind you. I would just want to scare it and have it go away (not eat us).

I suppose I could just bring some of my English relatives over. That would probably do the trick, too.

If that's the case, you should probably stick to a repellant spray. Putting bullets in something you don't mean to kill isn't a terribly good idea. Of course, if some large animal is trying to eat you, you really shouldn't be too torn up about killing it.

Do you live in a secluded location? If that's the case, you might want to concern yourself more with predators of the two-legged variety.

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks.

Fish
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zqSdekaKIs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zqSdekaKIs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Donger
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
If that's the case, you should probably stick to a repellant spray. Putting bullets in something you don't mean to kill isn't a terribly good idea. Of course, if some large animal is trying to eat you, you really shouldn't be too torn up about killing it.

Do you live in a secluded location? If that's the case, you might want to concern yourself more with predators of the two-legged variety.

The house is up in the mountains but not particularly secluded. And, yes, creepy mountain people are also a concern, but less so than bears and lions. Even then, I think this is more the wife being overly concerned.

We do have bear spray that we carry.

Frazod
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow. Those are really inexpensive. I think that I'd want one with a stock though. Don't shotguns have a pretty good kick (more as the gauge gets lower)?

Yes. Won't be much fun for your wife to shoot - or you, if you've never shot one (at least at first). Expect a bit of shoulder bruising.

Frazod
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
The house is up in the mountains but not particularly secluded. And, yes, creepy mountain people are also a concern, but less so than bears and lions. Even then, I think this is more the wife being overly concerned.

We do have bear spray that we carry.

I really don't think you can go wrong with a shotgun and/or pistol for home defense. Just take some courses if you're a n00b.

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.
We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by surprise.
We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry "Pepper Spray" with him is case of an encounter with a bear.
Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces will have bells in it and smell like pepper spray.

;)

Radar Chief
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Just keep the but tight to your shoulder. Holding it loose is what bruises you.

LiveSteam
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Bear stopper for your 12 gauge shotgun

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_214742_999_01?rgn=0,0,700,448&scl=1.3333333333333333&fmt=jpeg&id=1LOBGQ2Mj_d-IPvnma86mq