PDA

View Full Version : Royals Anyone interested in the All Star Game Charity 5k?

luv
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
So, I'm training to be able to run (err...jog) a 5k. Running in this event would give me almost 17 weeks to train. I'd really love to be able to put a team together for this. Have fun, participate in All Star Game activity, and (most important) raise money for cancer.

Anyone interested in forming a team with me?

To join team (or make a donation):
http://www.allstar5k-mlb.com/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=827

Event Info:

http://www.allstar5k-mlb.com/home.do

When:
Sunday, July 8, 2012
5K: 7:30AM
1 Mile Fun Run: 8:00AM
Wheelchair Division will begin 5 minutes prior to each event start

Where:
Downtown, Kansas City, MO

Why:
Join Major League Baseball in the fight to end cancer!
100% of net proceeds benefit
Susan G. Komen, Prostate Cancer Foundation, and Stand Up To Cancer

Registration Costs:

5K Adults:
Register by 5/1: $25
Register after 5/2 and before 7/3: $30
Register after 7/3: $35

5K Child: (age 12 and under)
Register by 5/1: $20
Register after 5/2 and before 7/3: $25
Register after 7/3: $35

1 Mile Fun Run Adults:
Register by 5/1: $20
Register after 5/2 and before 7/3: $25
Register after 7/3: $30

1 Mile Fun Run Child (age 12 and under)
Register by 5/1: $15
Register after 5/2 and before 7/3: $20
Register after 7/3: $25

Registration includes:
T-Shirt
Race Chip (5K runners)
Race Bib
Water
MLB All-Star Charity 5K & Fun Run presented by Nike Finisher Medal

DMAC
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Hmm, I would, but I think I'm drinking beer that day.

bevischief
03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Hmm, I would, but I think I'm drinking beer that day.

ROFL

luv
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm registered. I created a team name if anyone is interested.

My page:
http://www.allstar5k-mlb.com/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=826

To join team:
http://www.allstar5k-mlb.com/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=827

Dartgod
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I thought that 5K was a few hundred feet, so I was going to sign up. I just looked it up and its 3.1 MILES! :eek:

**** that...

Actually, I'm kidding about that. I know how far it is and I think that's a good goal for me to work towards in my weight loss. I ran for about a minute and a half on the treadmill last night and it damn near killed me.

I'm not going to sign up now, but if I can get off my ass and into the gym more often I'm going to consider it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm in.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Google C25K and follow it to a t. I got up to 8 miles at a clip within 6 months and I'd never run a mile in my life. It works. Ask Marcellus.

Nzoner
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I thought that 5K was a few hundred feet, so I was going to sign up. I just looked it up and its 3.1 MILES! :eek:

**** that...

Actually, I'm kidding about that. I know how far it is and I think that's a good goal for me to work towards in my weight loss. I ran for about a minute and a half on the treadmill last night and it damn near killed me.

I'm not going to sign up now, but if I can get off my ass and into the gym more often I'm going to consider it.

I was considering it and then saw the date,no way just 4 days after July 4th will Pyro Joe even think about wanting to run,let alone stand.

Dartgod
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Google C25K and follow it to a t. I got up to 8 miles at a clip within 6 months and I'd never run a mile in my life. It works. Ask Marcellus.

Cool. I'll check that out. I'm sure my wife will be interested too.

luv
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM

My trainer printed out a walk-to-run program that is very similar to C25K. I think many programs like that are similar. Interval training is about the best way to do it. I'm super excited!

Nzoner
03-13-2012, 10:47 AM
You guys train well as we're kicking around going back to a fundraising bash(mrs Nzoner's RA is getting bad,in fact she's had to go on full disability) and I was thinking if we could do something for the local ACS charity it would be a nice gesture.

tooge
03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
does a contestant actually have to need a wheelchair to be in the wheelchair division?

luv
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
You guys train well as we're kicking around going back to a fundraising bash(mrs Nzoner's RA is getting bad,in fact she's had to go on full disability) and I was thinking if we could do something for the local ACS charity it would be a nice gesture.

ACS will always be my personal #1 charity (or any for cancer research), however...

Didn't you give the money to a local arthritis foundation a few years back? I wouldn't mind at all if you did that again, especially if Mrs. Nzoner would possibily benefit from it.

luv
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
does a contestant actually have to need a wheelchair to be in the wheelchair division?

LMAO

Gonzo
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM

This.

Can I bring my golf-cart or a segway or something?

Gonzo
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Preferably the golf-cart. (Cupholders for my beer)

Nzoner
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
ACS will always be my personal #1 charity (or any for cancer research), however...

Didn't you give the money to a local arthritis foundation a few years back? I wouldn't mind at all if you did that again, especially if Mrs. Nzoner would possibily benefit from it.

ACS(Arthritis Community Services) is the local St Joe charity,you might be thinking of the Arthritis Foundation.

luv
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
ACS(Arthritis Community Services) is the local St Joe charity,you might be thinking of the Arthritis Foundation.

Ah, I've always known ACS to be the American Cancer Society.

Marcellus
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM

True dat. I started C25K Marh 1 2011 and ran my first official 5K in May that year. I am running a half marathon in May this year.

Longest run to date is 13 miles at a little over 8 min/mile.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Son of a bitch! I thought this was a Royals thread. I was hopeful we'd signed Peyton Manning!

luv
03-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Doing better on my jogging. I've gotten out every night after work this week. I didn't go as far last night, but I jogged a lot more.

luv
03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
We are now two strong! Woohoo! Go team!

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
We are now two strong! Woohoo! Go team!

Who is the other one?

Rain Man
03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Good luck on this. If I was a few hundred miles closer I'd do it.

luv
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Who is the other one?

A friend of mine. I was talking to her about something else when she mentioned that she had started training for a 5k. Turns out, she started the same day I did. She's doing one with a bunch of people she works with in September, but offered to register for this one and split the cost of gas and hotel with me. We've been jogging together on Saturday mornings. I'm loving it, even though it's obvious how much I have to improve.

Sofa King
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
A friend of mine. I was talking to her about something else when she mentioned that she had started training for a 5k. Turns out, she started the same day I did. She's doing one with a bunch of people she works with in September, but offered to register for this one and split the cost of gas and hotel with me. We've been jogging together on Saturday mornings. I'm loving it, even though it's obvious how much I have to improve.

Is she hot?

luv
03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Is she hot?

Married, and not quite as big as me. I'd say she's pretty, but I know a majority of people think being overweight is automatically ugly, so I'm not sure how you'd judge her.

loochy
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Married, and not quite as big as me. I'd say she's pretty, but I know a majority of people think being overweight is automatically ugly, so I'm not sure how you'd judge her.

Ignore Omaha.

Pics please.

luv
03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Ignore Omaha.

Pics please.

Even if she wasn't married, hell no.

loochy
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Even if she wasn't married, hell no.

She doesn't want a bite of the ol' pooptaco? Cmon.

luv
04-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Thought I'd give this a bump. There seem to be a lot of people (in my area anyway) training for various 5k runs. If you're interested, feel free to join my team.

Also, feel free to make a donation! :D