PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs pick up Quinn & Winston

Okie_Apparition
03-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Chiefs pick up QB Brady Quinn, tackle Eric Winston
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2012-03-18T00:40:01Z
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/17/3498140/chiefs-add-qb-brady-quinn-tackle.html

The Chiefs filled two of their biggest roster holes Saturday, signing veteran right tackle Eric Winston to a four-year contract and agreeing to terms with backup quarterback Brady Quinn. Financial terms were not disclosed for either deal.

Winston may be the Chiefs’ biggest free-agent prize so far, following previous additions in running back Peyton Hillis, tight end Kevin Boss and cornerback Stanford Routt. The Chiefs were seeking to upgrade at right tackle from Barry Richardson, who is now an unrestricted free agent.

Winston, 28, is generally regarded as one of the best right tackles in the NFL. He entered the league with Houston in 2006 and became a starter that season. He started every game for the Texans in the subsequent five seasons.

But the Texans unexpectedly released Winston last week, saving themselves $4.5 million in salary. He was a key component of an offensive line that helped little-known Arian Foster become one of the premier running backs in the NFL over the past couple of years but was in the fourth year of a contract worth $30 million.

Winston — and fans of the team — expressed shock at the time of his release.

“Basically, they told me they were up against it (the salary cap) and didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut,” Winston told the Houston Chronicle last week. “They said they hated to do it and maybe we could work something out down the road, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave.”

The Chiefs, however, won Winston over during a visit that extended over two days in Kansas City — and included a stop for barbecue lunch on Friday.

“Just ate lunch at Jack's (sic) Stack,” Winston tweeted Friday afternoon. “Whoa. That was impressive.”

The Chiefs’ second addition on a busy Saturday afternoon was Quinn, 27, who has played for the Browns and Broncos. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel was in Cleveland in 2007 when the Browns drafted Quinn out of Notre Dame in the first round.

Quinn started 12 games for Cleveland in 2008 and 2009, throwing 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions and compiling a 3-9 record. But he fell out of favor with the Browns and was traded to Denver in 2010. Hillis, coincidentally, went from the Broncos to the Browns in that deal.

The Chiefs had indicated they wanted to bring in competition for starting quarterback Matt Cassel, but Quinn is unlikely to provide that. He didn’t play in a regular-season game during his two seasons in Denver.

What Quinn does provide is a measure of stability that the Chiefs haven’t had at the backup quarterback position since Cassel became their starter in 2009. The Chiefs tried Brodie Croyle and Tyler Palko, among others, but neither was productive when called upon.

Only when the Chiefs claimed Kyle Orton off waivers late last season did they find a competent backup. But Orton, a free agent, recently signed with Dallas.

Free agency got off to a rocky start for the Chiefs this offseason when chairman Clark Hunt declared on national television that the franchise would aggressively pursue quarterback Peyton Manning.

Manning never granted an audience to the Chiefs.

But the Chiefs have rebounded nicely since then by signing four players who could help an offense that finished 31st among the NFL’s 32 teams in scoring.

To reach Adam Teicher, call 816-234-4875 or send email to ateicher@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter

Baby Lee
03-17-2012, 07:14 PM
“Just ate lunch at Jack's (sic) Stack,” Winston tweeted Friday afternoon. “Whoa. That was impressive.”

Ok, so he passed the Bono test.

03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Typical Tiecher puff piece.

Okie_Apparition
03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
The Chiefs had indicated they wanted to bring in competition for starting quarterback Matt Cassel, but Quinn is unlikely to provide that.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Typical Tiecher puff piece.
not quite ... he basically said that Quinn is 'just a guy'

normally he would of said something like 'Quinn is a backup with the talent to be a franchise type starting QB that has just never quite developed' or something.

Megbert
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
"Hey Scott you all had me worried when I heard you were going after Manning"

"Oh Matt that was just to get the fanbase excited"

"Good, for a while I thought that's no way to treat a HERO".

"Hero?"

"Remember I knocked on that door and got my neighbors out of their burning house?"
"I was just on my way to pick up my newspaper. That was my first read. But then I
saw the fire and then after a couple of minutes I decided that my newspaper could wait
I need to see if there's anyone in that house. I'm sure they'd like to see the fire for themselves.
whaddya know there were some people in there and they were more than grateful that I told them about the fire."

"ummm OK. So Matt we signed Brady Quinn today for your 'competition'

"Oh yeah?"

"Yep"

Maniacal laughing for 20 minutes.

alpha_omega
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Ha, Teicher didn't tell me anything I already didn't know thanks to CP.

03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
not quite ... he basically said that Quinn is 'just a guy'

normally he would of said something like 'Quinn is a backup with the talent to be a franchise type starting QB that has just never quite developed' or something.

Yeah. I want to see him rip this organization.

Red Dawg
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Jack's Stack ends the debate about best Bar B-Q in KC. Hands down it's the place Chiefs take FA's to eat over and over again. Priest use to have his charity meeting there as well.

I bet that place gets a kick back for every FA that comes there and signs on the dotted line. That place is a KC treasure and becoming legendary in KC history.

Simply Red
03-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Jack's Stack ends the debate about best Bar B-Q in KC. Hands down it's the place Chiefs take FA's to eat over and over again. Priest use to have his charity meeting there as well.

I bet that place gets a kick back for every FA that comes there and signs on the dotted line. That place is a KC treasure and becoming legendary in KC history.

I thought you said 'ends the debate about best restaurant in KC.

LOL - I was about to say!!!!! we all know it's Taco Johns!

Rain Man
03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Wait a minute. Why is he implying that Quinn will be a backup? Quinn is the best quarterback on the roster.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I guess I'm somewhat surprised Quinn wanted to play for Romeo again considering how he was treated in Cleveland

Baby Lee
03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Wait a minute. Why is he implying that Quinn will be a backup? Quinn is the best quarterback on the roster.

We're implementing an innovative new all-backup offense.

Baby Lee
03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I guess I'm somewhat surprised Quinn wanted to play for Romeo again considering how he was treated in Cleveland

after RAC named him the starter, then was fired?

Easy 6
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Maybe its just me, but i'm reading in all kinds of snidely ironic snarky notes here, Teicher is experimenting with his style.

'didnt grant an audience...'

Jawshco
03-17-2012, 11:18 PM
"Hey Scott you all had me worried when I heard you were going after Manning"

"Oh Matt that was just to get the fanbase excited"

"Good, for a while I thought that's no way to treat a HERO".

"Hero?"

"Remember I knocked on that door and got my neighbors out of their burning house?"
"I was just on my way to pick up my newspaper. That was my first read. But then I
saw the fire and then after a couple of minutes I decided that my newspaper could wait
I need to see if there's anyone in that house. I'm sure they'd like to see the fire for themselves.
whaddya know there were some people in there and they were more than grateful that I told them about the fire."

"ummm OK. So Matt we signed Brady Quinn today for your 'competition'

"Oh yeah?"

"Yep"

Maniacal laughing for 20 minutes.

Maybe its just me, but i'm reading in all kinds of snidely ironic snarky notes here, Teicher is experimenting with his style.

'didnt grant an audience...'

Good observation. Ha!

TimeForWasp
03-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I thought you said 'ends the debate about best restaurant in KC.

LOL - I was about to say!!!!! we all know it's Taco Johns!

I miss Taco Johns.