PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sooo.....NT?

jspchief
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
So we currently have a situational guy in Gordon, and a late round 2nd year player with 7 snaps of experience.

I know people are thinking NT in the 1st few rounds, but can we really go into the season with so little experience at the position?

Don't know if Franklin would come at a reasonable price, or who else is out there, but I really feel like we need to get a veteran for the position.

Sassy Squatch
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Yeah, this has to be a top priority now that we locked up our RT problems. Besides Franklin, what else is out there?

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Bunkley could be a good pick up to be a run stuffer if they think Powe is progressing well to have an actual role this year.

aturnis
03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Wendler or someone else with a PFF membership, can we get Gordon's PFF numbers?

carlos3652
03-17-2012, 07:19 PM
This is the list of NT that are FA's

Aubrayo Franklin (NO) - NT
Kelly Gregg (KC) - NT
Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT
Antonio Garay (SD) - NT
Sione Pouha (NYJ) - NT

aturnis
03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, this has to be a top priority now that we locked up our RT problems. Besides Franklin, what else is out there?

Antonio Garay
Aubrayo Franklin
Shaun Rogers

anyone else?

Sassy Squatch
03-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Kelly Gregg (KC) - NT
Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT
Antonio Garay (SD) - NT
Sione Pouha (NYJ) - NT
Soliai signed with Miami already,

carlos3652
03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Soliai signed with Miami already,

I know... i was lazy..

aturnis
03-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Kelly Gregg (KC) - NT
Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT
Antonio Garay (SD) - NT
Sione Pouha (NYJ) - NT

Soliai is gone so is Pouha

Sassy Squatch
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Shaun Rogers would be solid. He went to the Pro Bowl under Crennel, and its assumed he really enjoyed playing for Crennel. Only problem is he has been particularly shitty as of late.

aturnis
Oh, and Gregg is probably retiring...

Bugeater
Pioli finally addresses the QB position, and now you want an NT too?

Sassy Squatch
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
If Pioli is on this kind of a roll why stop it?

jspchief
03-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Has Garay been visiting teams?

Anyone know what kind of tender Sammie Lee Hill got? Know anything about him as a player?

Rogers would be a solid stop gap assuming he doesn't expect a ton of money.

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I thought Powe was the only one under contract

Micjones
03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Brodrick Bunkley, Marcus Thomas or Derek Landri.
All the other available NT's are stop-gap situations like Gregg was last year.

carlos3652
03-17-2012, 07:35 PM

I feel we need a stop gap... draft our NT in round 2. Hes our future.

jspchief
03-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I thought Powe was the only one under contract

We re-signed Amon Gordon

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 07:43 PM
We re-signed Amon Gordon

Heh, I missed that

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Personally, I think the most likely candidate which fits the Pioli mold for the NT position will be Josh Chapman in the draft.

jspchief
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Are any of those guys going to fit Crennel's 3-4?

And I think stop gap is what we should be looking at at this point. The only NT worthy of long term consideration was Soliai, who's a Dolphin again. Get a stop gap veteran, draft a NT, and let them battle it out with Powe in the preseason.

whoman69
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Shaun Rogers would be solid. He went to the Pro Bowl under Crennel, and its assumed he really enjoyed playing for Crennel. Only problem is he has been particularly shitty as of late.

Only as a cheap sign. Guy is 33 and couldn't even start on a poor New Orleans defense last year. Additionally there's usually only 2 slots active at NT.

O.city
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Give me Chapman in the third round.

jspchief
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Give me Chapman in the third round.

And you're fine with a rookie and Powe as our only options?

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 08:02 PM
And you're fine with a rookie and Powe as our only options?

I'd be fine with it considering that all the other FA rock solid candidates are gone. Especially with Chapman due to he's from the "tree" tough as nails and knows his role in the defense while being very solid at the POA.

Bootlegged
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Fletcher Cox
Still
Brandon Thompson

Drop back, pick up another pick and grab one of these guys.

Or trade the 1st for a RFA like M Wallace and draft one in the second - should be a few quality DT's left.

BigCatDaddy
03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Dorsey.

aturnis
03-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Never understood Kiper's pick to us as Devon Still. Doesn't seem to fit the mold. Who knows though, not me.

O.city
03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Thing with Chapman is that he shouldn't take much time to figure it out. He played the exact role for four years in college for a defensive genious.

Shogun
03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
I really liked Amon last year

reschief
03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
With all the free agent activity on the offensive side of the ball (Routt as the exception), I wonder if the draft will concentrate on defense, NT, LB, safety depth?

O.city
03-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Would be fine with that philosophy. Get the defense damn near stacked at every spot.

Micjones
03-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Are any of those guys going to fit Crennel's 3-4?

And I think stop gap is what we should be looking at at this point. The only NT worthy of long term consideration was Soliai, who's a Dolphin again. Get a stop gap veteran, draft a NT, and let them battle it out with Powe in the preseason.

Landri is the best fit.

I think Bunkley would be more of an Amon Gordon, but he's a good run stopper.
May not be the big space-eater you need, but run support is his strong suit.

Thomas has played both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, but I think he's best as an undertackle in a 4-3.

reschief
03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Would be fine with that philosophy. Get the defense damn near stacked at every spot.

If we could sign Tolbert, it would be almost an obligation to concentrate on the D. But we've never seemed to be too concerned about the NT. I wonder if safety won't be a real focus - no more Piscatelli.

Simplicity
03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Pick up Wimbley and we don't really have to depend on our next NT to be great.

reschief
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Pick up Wimbley and we don't really have to depend on our next NT to be great.

No doubt re Wimbley. He's from my town and was exceptional in high school, Florida St. and NFL career. But he will cost too much for Pioli & Clark.

Simplicity
03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
No doubt re Wimbley. He's from my town and was exceptional in high school, Florida St. and NFL career. But he will cost too much for Pioli & Clark.

Best BBQ in the world could make up for some $ signs (:

Easy 6
03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
It'd be great to see Powe step up, what very little we've seen looks mostly positive, imo... quick on his feet for a big man, has enough balance and lower body ballast to get better as his technique improves.

Would love to see the gif again where he battles back just a step, to keep the play in front of him and his eyes on the ballcarrier through traffic & collapses 2-3 guys as he dives in for the tackle.

He was last years biggest mystery, Wheres Powe? he's like the new Kris Wilson. There were so many goal line situations it seemed he would've been custom made for... wish i knew wtf the problem with this guy is.

I can only hope he's Romeos pet Area 51 project, ready to Shock & Awe in 2012.

TEX
03-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Yep. Because on Offense we're gonna RUN and pick our spots when passing. Cassel's the QB so expect a fair amounts of 3 and outs. Gotta be able to play defense and not drop off.

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
It's looking more & more to me the Chiefs are going to need Powe to take a pretty big stride this next year.

I always liked what I saw of him last year. But then he was inactive.

Frankie
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Anyone know what kind of tender Sammie Lee Hill got? Know anything about him as a player?This enquiring mind wants to know too.

I really liked Amon last yearThis observant mind did too.
It'd be great to see Powe step up, ...

I can only hope he's Romeos pet Area 51 project, ready to Shock & Awe in 2012.This hopeful mind wants this too.

petegz28
03-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Clark and Scott just need to go to the local Dunkin' Donuts at about 2:30 in the afternoon and get the short, fat, super-round guy that you always see about that time. Put a helmet and pads on him and go..

patteeu
03-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Wendler or someone else with a PFF membership, can we get Gordon's PFF numbers?

Gordon was middle of the pack with a +1.5 overall rating (60/155), -1.9 pass rush rating (96/155), and +4.1 run defense rating (32/155).

Note that the 155 total players includes 67 players who played less than 25% of their team's snaps of which Gordon was one.

Note also that this includes DTs and NTs from both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes.

patteeu
03-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Never understood Kiper's pick to us as Devon Still. Doesn't seem to fit the mold. Who knows though, not me.

Maybe it has something to do with him being related to standout Chief, Art Still. :shrug:

I just read that he was Art Still's cousin and he's also Levon Kirkland's cousin. What a family.

ChiefGator
03-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Posted this in another thread, but interesting quote from the link below:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...alysts-031812/

5. Excluding Peyton Manning, you’re a GM and can pick up one player to significantly improve your team. What team are you and what player do you choose from the available free agents?

Khaled: You know what the Kansas City Chiefs could do to continue an excellent off season? Make a move for Aubrayo Franklin on the cheap to play nose tackle. His market value dictates cost won’t be too high, he fits into their type of 3-4, and you only need to go back to 2010 to see how good he can be in that base package role.

Shox
03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Your NT is going to be our 1st round pick, Poe.

jspchief
03-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Your NT is going to be our 1st round pick, Poe.

Everything about Poe screams bust.

bevischief
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Everything about Poe screams bust.

Yep.

ChiefGator
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
So.. who is still running a 3-4 in the NFL anyway?

L.A. Chieffan
Poe is gonna be a beast. DO IT PIOLI

Shox
or stud. Glass half empty or glass half full?

Micjones
03-18-2012, 10:23 AM

5. Excluding Peyton Manning, you’re a GM and can pick up one player to significantly improve your team. What team are you and what player do you choose from the available free agents?

Khaled: You know what the Kansas City Chiefs could do to continue an excellent off season? Make a move for Aubrayo Franklin on the cheap to play nose tackle. His market value dictates cost won’t be too high, he fits into their type of 3-4, and you only need to go back to 2010 to see how good he can be in that base package role.

He'd be cheap. Not a bad idea at all.

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
The Chiefs will likely be targeting Josh Chapman in the draft.

Bootlegged
03-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Coming off a torn ACL - no thanks.

Tribal Warfare
03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Coming off a torn ACL - no thanks.

he played through that the whole season, and the guy still didn't give an inch.

BossChief
03-18-2012, 06:22 PM

he is a 1 gap nose

not a 2 gap

ChiefGator
03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
So... what teams are still running a 3-4, and how many run the type we do?

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Yep.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Would be good for the proto-typical run-stuffing 0 tech, but they would need Powe to step up on 3rd and long.

Chiefs=Champions
03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Would be good for the proto-typical run-stuffing 0 tech, but they would need Powe to step up on 3rd and long.

No. We use sub packages on 3rd and long.

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Do you watch football? LMAO

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Do you watch football? LMAO

Yeah so it's not hard to figure out while he can be a wall, he's not going to collapse the pocket.

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah so it's not hard to figure out while he can be a wall, he's not going to collapse the pocket.

3rd and long you get a pass rusher in the middle, not a run stuffing 0 tech.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
3rd and long you get a pass rusher in the middle, not a run stuffing 0 tech.

Riveting take, chap. and they would put in...........? There's some options, but I don't see any ideal ones as of now.

milkman
03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Riveting take, chap. and they would put in...........? There's some options, but I don't see any ideal ones as of now.

The riveting point he's making, that you are missing, is that Crennel's sub-packages in passing situations don't utilize a NT.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
because that wasn't out of necessity

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
LMAO

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
So... what teams are still running a 3-4, and how many run the type we do?

Here's a primer.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247869

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
LMAO

Laugh away but Romeo has used a nose in more obvious passing situations else where when he actually had a nose that could collapse the pocket. He hasn't had that here.

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Laugh away but Romeo has used a nose in more obvious passing situations else where when he actually had a nose that could collapse the pocket. He hasn't had that here.

Maybe Wilfork? In Cleveland his NT made the pro bowl and he dumped him cause he roamed and didn't man his role.

In our version of the 3-4 your NT is not a pass rusher.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah the reference was to Wilfork. As for Rodgers, he wasn't dumped by Crennel or Savage as they were both gone by that point.

kcxiv
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Houston, Dorsey, Bailey, Hali!

jspchief
03-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Amon Gordon. That's pretty much what he's on the team for.

And that's why so many people around here notice him. He's the guy that we ask to actually penetrate and go after the QB.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I still think Poe gets a bad rap around here. I've never seen a more athletic NT.

Chief_For_Life58
03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
I still think Poe gets a bad rap around here. I've never seen a more athletic NT.

Hes gonna be a chief next year. It makes perfect sense. He was a beast at the combine. What happened to powe though?

aturnis
03-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Gordon was middle of the pack with a +1.5 overall rating (60/155), -1.9 pass rush rating (96/155), and +4.1 run defense rating (32/155).

Note that the 155 total players includes 67 players who played less than 25% of their team's snaps of which Gordon was one.

Note also that this includes DTs and NTs from both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes.

With those numbers from Gordon, I wonder if he won't be a 2 down NT for us stuffing the run, and bring in Powe to get after the QB.

From what I remember of Powe's play, he was very quick, side to side and did a good job of pushing the pocket, but in a running situation, he had trouble anchoring.

If Gordon can play the run well enough, Powe could find some playing time this year.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Hes gonna be a chief next year. It makes perfect sense. He was a beast at the combine. What happened to powe though?

Powe is going to be a rotational guy, who needs to step-up his game, if he wants the powers-that-be to take notice.

Right now, he's considered behind Gordon on the depth chart and hasn't done enough to be considered a starter. He'll get a fair shake, but he needs to be heads and shoulders better before being considered for playing time.

With us being a 3-4 defense, we'll probably keep 3 NTs, plus 4 or 5 DEs. We might take a shot at putting Powe on the PS, if we land Poe or another high-round NT.

The Chiefs have high hopes for Powe, but have lowered their expectations, due to his play, which is another reason Poe has good shot at being our pick.

Powe is a project, but has shown signs of having staying power. Training camp and preseason will dictate Powe's roster spot.

aturnis
03-18-2012, 11:14 PM

And he couldn't even dominate against inferior competition. How many NFL quality players do you think he faced in college? Honestly, who cares how athletic he is, he can't play.

aturnis
03-18-2012, 11:17 PM

How does it make perfect sense? When was the last time Pioli and his scouts took a guy in the first round based on his combine numbers? Pioli has made it clear, the tape is what matters, and Poes tape if pretty lackluster.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2012, 11:20 PM
And he couldn't even dominate against inferior competition. How many NFL quality players do you think he faced in college? Honestly, who cares how athletic he is, he can't play.

Couldn't dominate? Watch a game, bro. Their team was attrocious and he still kept them in it, single-handedly basically.

He started 30 games and registered 98 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss and five sacks, all while rotating positions, add that to his proto-typical size and freakish athletic ability and it's why you continue to see him in the 12.

aturnis
03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Couldn't dominate? Watch a game, bro. Their team was attrocious and he still kept them in it, single-handedly basically.

He started 30 games and registered 98 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss and five sacks, all while rotating positions, add that to his proto-typical size and freakish athletic ability and it's why you continue to see him in the 12.

And he did all of that against these guys:

East Carolina
Houston
Marshall
Memphis
Rice
SMU
Southern Miss
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
UCF
UTEP

Seriously. He can get up field, good for him. He seems to go through the motions quite a bit in run defense and doesn't necessarily disengage from blocks overly well. If he plays the same way in the NFL, only trying to get up field in a hurry, the opposing offense will trap block him and run it straight down his throat, same as they did Suh.

If the Chiefs draft him, I won't be happy, but I'll hope to god my feelings of the guy are wrong.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2012, 11:56 PM
And he did all of that against these guys:

East Carolina
Houston
Marshall
Memphis
Rice
SMU
Southern Miss
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
UCF
UTEP

Seriously. He can get up field, good for him. He seems to go through the motions quite a bit in run defense and doesn't necessarily disengage from blocks overly well. If he plays the same way in the NFL, only trying to get up field in a hurry, the opposing offense will trap block him and run it straight down his throat, same as they did Suh.

If the Chiefs draft him, I won't be happy, but I'll hope to god my feelings of the guy are wrong.

He's considered more of a boom/bust type based on the program that he played at. Memphis was awful, so he's going to shoulder some of that as a prospect. He was recruited by alot of quality programs for a reason.

I'll just say this, for a NT in our scheme, he's a really good fit, IMO, because he can hold contain and occupy blockers. He was double-teamed a great deal at the collegiate level and still put up those numbers. I think too many are getting caught up on stats and not realizing, he's the proto-typical NT, with freakish ability.

aturnis
03-19-2012, 12:57 AM
He's considered more of a boom/bust type based on the program that he played at. Memphis was awful, so he's going to shoulder some of that as a prospect. He was recruited by alot of quality programs for a reason.

I'll just say this, for a NT in our scheme, he's a really good fit, IMO, because he can hold contain and occupy blockers. He was double-teamed a great deal at the collegiate level and still put up those numbers. I think too many are getting caught up on stats and not realizing, he's the proto-typical NT, with freakish ability.

I think you're too caught up on "freakish ability". If he truly had freakish ability, he would have been a much better player against such lousy competition. Rotating around the line to DE only helped pad his stats. If he had played strictly at NT his stats would be even less impressive.

If this guy is all you say he is, he should have excelled against the insurance salesmen he was facing.

jspchief
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
I think you're too caught up on "freakish ability". If he truly had freakish ability, he would have been a much better player against such lousy competition. Rotating around the line to DE only helped pad his stats. If he had played strictly at NT his stats would be even less impressive.

If this guy is all you say he is, he should have excelled against the insurance salesmen he was facing.

I agree. A guy with his measureables, vs the lower tier of competition he faced, should have made his entire Dline look better. Instead, we're using his team mates to excuse his lack of production.

I don't like the idea of making this guy a starting NT right out of the gates.

spanky 52
03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm not a football analyst, I try to read as much as I can about different players that might fit in with the Chief's. One of the things that stands out about the reviews of Poe is that he'll need the right coaching staff to motivate him. The 11th pick in the first round shouldn't need any fucking motivation. Give me someone who can step in day one and play their position.

Ebolapox
03-19-2012, 05:57 AM
I'm not a football analyst, I try to read as much as I can about different players that might fit in with the Chief's. One of the things that stands out about the reviews of Poe is that he'll need the right coaching staff to motivate him. The 11th pick in the first round shouldn't need any fucking motivation. Give me someone who can step in day one and play their position.

for some reason, defensive linemen are prone to requiring lots of time/motivation. we DEF. have the right coaching staff--if romeo can't coach him up, nobody can.

RustShack
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
If the Browns are going to a 4-3, I wonder if they would be willing to deal Taylor or Rubin if not cut at least one.

RUSH
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
If the Browns are going to a 4-3, I wonder if they would be willing to deal Taylor or Rubin if not cut at least one.

Nah, not going to happen.

Dick Jauron's defensive philosophy is to have two huge d-tackles and smaller defensive ends.

RustShack
03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Nah, not going to happen.

Dick Jauron's defensive philosophy is to have two huge d-tackles and smaller defensive ends.

Sign Shaun Rogers it is then.