PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Pass Rushers

Urc Burry
03-18-2012, 11:50 AM
With RT out of the way, we now have the ability to go with a pass rusher if needed. I personally see Ingram as the best fit but I don't think you can go wrong with any of these guys. I think your best bet is trading down and seeing which one makes it to you.

Melvin Ingram
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F5dkwPHQJXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Courtney Upshaw
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N2NGJD_naF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nick Perry
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/osla4w0Dcc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 12:00 PM
3:08 is really the reason I love Nick Perry.

The guy has the physical ability, but like Justin Houston at Georgia, all he really does is bolt around the edge. He will need a season or two to groom and learn some moves.

At 3:08, you finally get a chance to see Perry pull a different move than pure speed.

And it results in a sack.

The potential, should you get him into working multiple moves, is limitless.

Urc Burry
03-18-2012, 12:04 PM

The guy has the physical ability, but like Justin Houston at Georgia, all he really does is bolt around the edge. He will need a season or two to groom and learn some moves.

At 3:08, you finally get a chance to see Perry pull a different move than pure speed.

The potential, should you get him into working multiple moves, is limitless.

Yeah he kind of reminds me of Jason Pierre-Paul, who did have a slow rookie season

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Upshaw, meanwhile, is always at the right place and doing the right thing, plugging the right gap.

With Hali on the payroll, there's just no use for him in this defense. Plus I think he may be too big for a 3-4 OLB position.

Urc Burry
03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
What do u think of Ingram? He seems the mos pro-ready and I think he has a lot of flexibility. I think he could even play Gilberrys spot in our sub package as well as OLB

suds79
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I know a lot of it is scheme where Ingram & Upshaw where not rushing in those clips but is it just me or did Nick Perry easily look the most explosive with the 1st step around the corner out of all of them?

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
What do u think of Ingram? He seems the mos pro-ready and I think he has a lot of flexibility. I think he could even play Gilberrys spot in our sub package as well as OLB

He's going in the Top 8.

O.city
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's just me, but if I were the GM, running the scheme and defense we run, I would never have too many Alabama players on my defense.

They have ran this d for 4 years under a guy that IMO is as smart defensively as our head coach.

Dayze
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I aggree. I think Perry has an explosive first step.

I think I'd go with Upshaw. He seems to have better insticts than the others (although not far ahead of Ingrham). Seems to take on blockers really well. Doesn't get cut down too often. Seems like a thumper ; solid tackler. Though, I wouldn't consider Upshaw a pass rusher in the traditional sense. He's got a good eye for where the play is going; quick recovery speed. Takes good angles. Sets the edge, has good leverage on wide plays.

I'd give the edge to Upshaw; although Ingrham would be nice too.

Though, admittedly, I haven't seen much of Perry.

BryanBusby
03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm sure people will disagree, but I wouldn't mind picking up Lewis early in the 2nd day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RNyYUNe4WHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His injury history is a bit of a concern, but this dude can rush the passer and he can hit hard.

Damn can he hit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cw4OKUgBciE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM

The potential, should you get him into working multiple moves, is limitless.I agree with you about Perry.

Mecca was talking about the possibility of him on the Chiefs, and he mentioned that Perry wouldn't be a very good fit for our defense, though. I asked him why he thought that and I never got an answer out of him. Can you think of any reason why he would say that?

Chiefs=Champions
03-20-2012, 09:04 PM
I think we could use upshaw in a heap of different spots. Have him rushing from end in the sub package, even play him as a thumper mlb. Id love to draft him.

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree with you about Perry.

Mecca was talking about the possibility of him on the Chiefs, and he mentioned that Perry wouldn't be a very good fit for our defense, though. I asked him why he thought that and I never got an answer out of him. Can you think of any reason why he would say that?

He's undersized, is the only thing I can really think of. We need our OLB to set the edge, play the run, and beat tackles. Perry's 250 lbs soaking wet, and he's not getting bigger. Houston's 270, while Vrabel, who's really the poster boy of the SOLB position, was a hair over 260. The Crennel 3-4 asks for bigger OLBs with power. Perry is more finesse. But I like the versatility that brings. (Upshaw, by comparison, may be a bit too big for the position, but he's as close to a Crennel OLB as you're going to get in this draft.)

If we draft Perry, we're using him primarily in nickel and subpackages.

I'd still take the risk, myself. What were the stats last year -- I think we ran subpackages over 50% of the time? So any stud NT we'd be picking up would only be playing about 50% of the time anyway. So I'd take the plunge.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I read that Perry put on 20 lbs of raw muscle prior to the combine and is currently at 270.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nick-perry?id=2533048

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Vrabel: 6'4", 261
Houston: 6'3", 270 lbs
Cameron Sheffield: 6'4", 257 lbs
Andy Studebaker: 6'3", 248 lbs.
Gabe Miller: 6'3", 257 lbs

Studebaker's the only guy who is size-wise comparable to Perry, though the talent comparison's not even close. And Studebaker is an embarrassment in this defense.

Drafting Perry would be so counter to what this team likes to do in the draft.

But I would have said the same thing about Johnny Baldwin last year. So.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Studebaker's the only guy who is size-wise comparable to Perry, though the talent comparison's not even close. And Studebaker is an embarrassment in this defense.

See my above post

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
I read that Perry put on 20 lbs of raw muscle prior to the combine and is currently at 270.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nick-perry?id=2533048

Eesh. Hate that. You have absolutely no idea how he's going to react to that new weight.

Perry has a LOT of learning to do in terms of passrushing. Until then, he's going to need every ounce of his speed.

USC's pro day will tell us a lot. But that's not the Nick Perry Pioli & company have been scouting, they were scouting him on the field at USC.

20 extra pounds may turn on some talent evaluators. But it will turn off Pioli.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Also: Houston was 258 at the combine last year... and Perry put up very comparable combine numbers. They beefed Houston up to 270. Just saying.

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Also: Houston was 258 at the combine last year... and Perry put up very comparable combine numbers. They beefed Houston up to 270. Just saying.

I hear ya. I just think Perry's maxed.

But what do I know. I thought Houston was maxed, too.

I really like Perry. I was just trying to make an attempt at Mecca's angle.

USC plays more of a cover two defense anyway. Not a lot of players transition at all from that lighter, faster defense to Crennel's bigger, more powerful two-gapping system.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I hear ya. I just think Perry's maxed.

But what do I know. I thought Houston was maxed, too.

I really like Perry. I was just trying to make an attempt at Mecca's angle.

USC plays more of a cover two defense anyway. Not a lot of players transition at all from that lighter, faster defense to Crennel's bigger, more powerful two-gapping system.

I just think with that explosive first step, his ability to rush the passer would be much higher in a system where he is standing up. Maybe that was Meccas angle. :shrug:

BryanBusby
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Eesh. Hate that. You have absolutely no idea how he's going to react to that new weight.

Perry has a LOT of learning to do in terms of passrushing. Until then, he's going to need every ounce of his speed.

USC's pro day will tell us a lot. But that's not the Nick Perry Pioli & company have been scouting, they were scouting him on the field at USC.

20 extra pounds may turn on some talent evaluators. But it will turn off Pioli.
USC held their pro day like two weeks ago. At any rate, I wouldn't get too wrapped up with trying to analyze first round linebackers for the Chiefs.

They've drafted.....like 2 in the first round in the last quarter century? Only ones I can think of were DJ and DT.

E: Actually correction, 3. Forgot about Percy Snow (hard to believe)

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Also - we should probably draft a replacement for Hali since he will be kicked out of the league after he cripples Manning.

RealSNR
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
USC held their pro day like two weeks ago. At any rate, I wouldn't get too wrapped up with trying to analyze first round linebackers for the Chiefs.

They've drafted.....like 2 in the first round in the last quarter century? Only ones I can think of were DJ and DT.

E: Actually correction, 3. Forgot about Percy Snow (hard to believe)Aaron Curry was our honorary 1st rounder in 2009

BryanBusby
03-20-2012, 10:38 PM
It's so damn weird to think that Tyson Jackson was a better decision than Aaron Curry.

Bump
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM

ya, we dont need tiny ass linebackers

KCrockaholic
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Not a 1st round guy, but everyone should give Vinny Curry some attention. He could end up being a great player.

Rasputin
03-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Not a 1st round guy, but everyone should give Vinny Curry some attention. He could end up being a great player.

Sounds like a guy we should keep on our radar.

Toad
03-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Upshaw is a beast. I can see him going to the Steelers and dominating.

KCrockaholic
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Upshaw is a beast. I can see him going to the Steelers and dominating.

No chance he falls that far.

BryanBusby
03-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Nor will they be drafting him, unless he's moving inside.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Nick Perry has already had 3 concussions ... not sure sure he is worth the risk unless he fails.

SDKCCHIEFS
04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
any jusin houston chiefs highlights out there??