PDA

View Full Version : News 8 years in jail for this!?!? what a joke

NIUhuskies
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
what is going on with the world right now?? this is straight from bizzaro world. lets ruin the kids life over this, great idea! i was curious to your guys thoughts on this. Watch the video below: #6 is taking the field and bumps into a band member and now got indited on felony assault! wtf!?!?!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QAzVDDfB7qA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Northern Illinois athletics director Jeff Compher said freshman linebacker Jamaal Bass' status on the football team has not changed after criminal charges were filed Friday for hitting Toledo band members exiting the field before a November football game.

"As the legal proceedings in Toledo involving NIU football player Jamaal Bass are ongoing, we will reserve any comment until that process is complete," Compher said in a news statement released by NIU on Monday night. "Jamaal is currently enrolled at Northern Illinois and his status with the football program has not changed."

Bass was indicted by a Lucas County grand jury Friday on one count of felonious assault and one count of misdemeanor assault, according to a report Monday in the Toledo Blade. The felonious assault charge carries a maximum sentence of up to eight years in prison.

Bass can be seen on a recording of the incident jumping shoulder-first into the face of a band member and knocking over another as his team ran onto the field as the band exited.

The incident prompted NIU coach Dave Doeren to issue a statement apologizing to the Rocket marching band and the University of Toledo. In that statement, the university said Bass was to be suspended from the following game, but the expension was extended to three games after NIU learned the band members received concussions.

The case has been assigned to Judge James Jensen although an arraignment date has not yet been set, according to the Blade report.

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2012/03/19/55162699/index.xml

WV
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm not really sure what to think of that. It did look a little malicious, but I'm not sure about felonious assault.

bricks
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah that bullsh*t.

Completely anal imo.

WV
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
One thing is certain, yet another stupid decision by a kid is being blown out of proportion and it will likely be life changing.

carlos3652
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
The Max is 8 years, if this is his first offense, it should be dealt with fines and community service. He will plea and they'll remove the felonious assault.

Misdemeanor -
Up to 30 days in Jail; and/or
Fine of up to $1,500.

Edit - non story ---

NIUhuskies
03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
he was jumping around all hyped up like most kids taking the field. the band needs to get their asses off the field. i dont condone trying to hurt anybody, but the kid served a 3 game suspension for it already. charging him w a felony just seems a little ridiculous. i cant believe the state of ohio will go after him for this

Buck
03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
JFC.

The article doesn't even mention anything about the band member being injured. If he was I'm sure it would have.

8 years for that?

Come the fuck on.

WoodDraw
03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Can anyone slow down the clip? I couldn't quite make out what happened...

KS Smitty
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
...Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield...

hometeam
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Rofl fuckin band pussies.

unlurking
JFC.

The article doesn't even mention anything about the band member being injured. If he was I'm sure it would have.

8 years for that?

Come the **** on.
Concussions not an injury now adays?

Agree with carlos3652. Will be plead down to drop felony (stupid charge) and likely probation for misdemeanor. Still, even the misdemeanor is pretty crappy. Think the coach handled it fine. Should be no reason for legal action.

Chiefnj2
Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield

KS Smitty
03-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield

q

NIUhuskies
03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
JFC.

8 years for that?

Come the **** on.

concussion they claim, but the day after article says very minor injuries...

Rocket marching band trampled by NIU players
Posted: Nov 02, 2011 9:13 PM CDT Updated: Nov 16, 2011 10:50 PM CST
13abc.com Amy Montgomery - bio | email

The University of Toledo marching band had a rough encounter with the Northern Illinois University football team Tuesday night. Several players were knocked to the ground, and left the field with some bumps and bruises.

Dylan Johnson is a freshman at UT. He plays the trumpet in the Rocket marching band. He said, "we always march off from pre-game and then have to run around the sidelines and the other team ran onto the field before we were off."

The whole incident was caught on tape. At least one band member falls to the ground and another looks like they were hit in the face. "Some people got knocked around," Johnson said. "There was one girl who had an ice pack on her ankle but was fine later that night." But the big issue was when NIU linebacker, Jamaal Bass, appears to intentionally throw his shoulder into a band member.

After the administration at Northern Illinois saw the video, Bass was suspended from the Huskie's next game against Bowling Green State University.

In a letter of apology, the Huskie's head coach, Dave Doerer wrote, "I know that a public apology cannot undo what happened Tuesday night, but know that we are very embarrassed and take full responsibility for the situation. I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that something like this never occurs again."

As far as the University of Toledo, officials have not made a comment, except to say they are gathering more information about the incident.

All of the band members were at practice Wednesday afternoon. We're told their injuries were very minor. In the meantime, the band has changed up their pre-game routine, so something like this doesn't happen again.

http://www.13abc.com/story/15941007/rocket-marching-band-trampled-by-niu-players?clienttype=printable

Ming the Merciless
03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
he is not going to do 8 weeks let alone 8 years

WV
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
he is not going to do 8 weeks let alone 8 years

Hopefully this....Hate to see something so stupid ruin a kids life.

Buck
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Concussions not an injury now adays?

Agree with carlos3652. Will be plead down to drop felony (stupid charge) and likely probation for misdemeanor. Still, even the misdemeanor is pretty crappy. Think the coach handled it fine. Should be no reason for legal action.

I missed that part. I read the article 3 times to see if they said anything about an injury lol.

pr_capone
03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
absolute bullshit

unlurking
03-20-2012, 08:09 PM
I missed that part. I read the article 3 times to see if they said anything about an injury lol.
:)

Looks like there may be some dispute about the injuries.

Either way, there's no reason for legal action to be taken. The hit did look intentional, but I think the suspension handed down by the coach (1-3 games) was fair.

DenverChief
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Did anyone else. Notice the band member already down behind where the collision occurred that several ther band members sprinted over to? Top right corner of the screen. Watch again

Bugeater
03-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it's fair.

MIAdragon
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
JFC.

8 years for that?

Come the **** on.

reading is hard

"In that statement, the university said Bass was to be suspended from the following game, but the expension was extended to three games after NIU learned the band members received concussions."

Dartgod
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
He's not going to get 8 years for that.

aturnis
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Duh. Dumbest thing ever. No charges. Scratch that. I charge the band members with being giant pussies!

pr_capone
03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I think it's fair.

:hmmm:

Not sure if srs

WoodDraw
He's not going to get 8 years for that.

Outrage is more fun though.

KS Smitty
reading is hard

"In that statement, the university said Bass was to be suspended from the following game, but the expension was extended to three games after NIU learned the band members received concussions."

Hey don't pick on Buck, he had to read and comprehend rules written by KurtCobain. It's a wonder he can even type properly.

Bugeater
03-20-2012, 08:15 PM
:hmmm:
That doesn't count!

Pasta Little Brioni
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Reading comprehension is your friend.

pr_capone
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
That doesn't count!

I use that as a not sure if serious smilie

WoodDraw
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
If it happened while you were walking along the city, should it be prosecuted? Some kid running onto a field doesn't get immunity to hit defenseless people.

ThaVirus
03-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I think it's fair.

I'm sure you're joking, but I wouldn't be opposed to some serious community service time.

I don't give a shit if they were "getting hyped up" or not. Watching that video, and being a young man myself, I can tell you all of those bumps, chucks and shoulders were thrown intentionally. Fuck those kids. I highly doubt he'll serve any time, but if he did I wouldn't give a single fuck.

NIUhuskies
03-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm sure you're joking, but I wouldn't be opposed to some serious community service time.

I don't give a shit if they were "getting hyped up" or not. Watching that video, and being a young man myself, I can tell you all of those bumps, chucks and shoulders were thrown intentionally. **** those kids. I highly doubt he'll serve any time, but if he did I wouldn't give a single ****.

totally agree w community service, but a FELONY and JAIL time???? commmmme on man

kid is 19 and had no record, job market after college sucks enough already, a felony on your record isnt going to help much

Dartgod
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Outrage is more fun though.

So are misleading thread titles.

ThaVirus
03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
totally agree w community service, but a FELONY and JAIL time???? commmmme on man

kid is 19 and had no record, job market after college sucks enough already, a felony on your record isnt going to help much

That's a bit much, no doubt, but that's the loveliness of our legal system.

Someone already mentioned earlier, why does the kid get a pass because he was stepping onto a football field? If it were in any other setting how would you feel about the charges being filed? The kid was being a bully and pushed too far, now he might be fucked. I really have no sympathy for bullies.

mlyonsd
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
So are misleading thread titles.Why is it misleading?

KS Smitty
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Why is it misleading?

Because it sounds like he was already tried and convicted.

NIUhuskies
03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
That's a bit much, no doubt, but that's the loveliness of our legal system.

Someone already mentioned earlier, why does the kid get a pass because he was stepping onto a football field? If it were in any other setting how would you feel about the charges being filed? The kid was being a bully and pushed too far, now he might be ****ed. I really have no sympathy for bullies.

i just dont feel like he had intent to injury and had no record. if the kid had a history for being a "bully" thats one thing, but a felony charge is bullshit. the part of this story that pisses me off the most is that they are just using this to set up a civil lawsuit and try and pull the university in with large pockets to try and get a big payout. all for getting knocked over. i just think its been blown way out of proportion.

Dave Lane
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
He's gonna get probation. Nothing to see here.

Extra Point
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM

I don't give a shit if they were "getting hyped up" or not. Watching that video, and being a young man myself, I can tell you all of those bumps, chucks and shoulders were thrown intentionally. **** those kids. I highly doubt he'll serve any time, but if he did I wouldn't give a single ****.

This.

Nothing screams manhood more than throwing a shoulder pad into a marching band member.

KS Smitty
03-20-2012, 08:41 PM
This.

Nothing screams manhood more than throwing a shoulder pad into a marching band member.

And it's all because of "this one time at band camp". You never hear this one time at football camp.

listopencil
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Hopefully this....Hate to see something so stupid ruin a kids life.

Hopefully he learns that he isn't allowed to assault people.

listopencil
03-20-2012, 08:48 PM

This. And it was a pussy move on #6's part.

cdcox
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
The Max is 8 years, if this is his first offense, it should be dealt with fines and community service. He will plea and they'll remove the felonious assault.

Misdemeanor -
Up to 30 days in Jail; and/or
Fine of up to $1,500.

Edit - non story ---

That was a cheap shot and totally uncalled for. I'd have no problem with the kid getting a misdemeanor conviction with a little jail time.

Ming the Merciless
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM

This

WV
03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Hopefully he learns that he isn't allowed to assault people.

You have a point, I don't think he should get off scott free. However I hate how everything like this is blown so out of proportion now.

Dartgod
03-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Exactly. 8 years is the MAXIMUM sentence for felonious assault. Unless this guy is a career criminal the charge gets reduced and put on probation.

Fairplay
03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
When i read the title, I thought this thread was going to be about MTG.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Band members aren't athletes. That makes it completely different in my eyes. Felony? Get the fuck out of here. Charges? Absofuckinglutely.

loochy
03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
who cares!

|Zach|
03-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Original poster is misleading.

Simply Red
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Completely anal imo.

Another Anal Vid.

ElGringo
03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
concussion they claim, but the day after article says very minor injuries...

Rocket marching band trampled by NIU players
Posted: Nov 02, 2011 9:13 PM CDT Updated: Nov 16, 2011 10:50 PM CST
13abc.com Amy Montgomery - bio | email

The University of Toledo marching band had a rough encounter with the Northern Illinois University football team Tuesday night. Several players were knocked to the ground, and left the field with some bumps and bruises.

Dylan Johnson is a freshman at UT. He plays the trumpet in the Rocket marching band. He said, "we always march off from pre-game and then have to run around the sidelines and the other team ran onto the field before we were off."

The whole incident was caught on tape. At least one band member falls to the ground and another looks like they were hit in the face. "Some people got knocked around," Johnson said. "There was one girl who had an ice pack on her ankle but was fine later that night." But the big issue was when NIU linebacker, Jamaal Bass, appears to intentionally throw his shoulder into a band member.

After the administration at Northern Illinois saw the video, Bass was suspended from the Huskie's next game against Bowling Green State University.

In a letter of apology, the Huskie's head coach, Dave Doerer wrote, "I know that a public apology cannot undo what happened Tuesday night, but know that we are very embarrassed and take full responsibility for the situation. I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that something like this never occurs again."

As far as the University of Toledo, officials have not made a comment, except to say they are gathering more information about the incident.

All of the band members were at practice Wednesday afternoon. We're told their injuries were very minor. In the meantime, the band has changed up their pre-game routine, so something like this doesn't happen again.

http://www.13abc.com/story/15941007/rocket-marching-band-trampled-by-niu-players?clienttype=printable

The bold part interests me in that, if someone gets nailed for criminal charges in this, the school itself is really open for civil damages as well...or at least the charges could be filed and with the way America is right now, they will get some money.

Dartgod
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Original poster is misleading.

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Trevo_410
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
fucking band pussies

Phobia
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Looks pretty malicious to me, as has already been mentioned. It's not random jumping around gone awry. He ran straight into the kid, jumped, and popped him with a shoulder pad intentionally - that's why he got 3 games.

As far as charges - I'm not sure about that. A three game suspension seems like justice served. Let the university handle it in-house.

CanadaKC
03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
this will only land you 2 YEARS in Canada...

http://www.canada.com/news/Blatchford+Graham+James+verdict+travesty+sadly+uncommon/6332589/story.html

WV
03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Looks pretty malicious to me, as has already been mentioned. It's not random jumping around gone awry. He ran straight into the kid, jumped, and popped him with a shoulder pad intentionally - that's why he got 3 games.

As far as charges - I'm not sure about that. A three game suspension seems like justice served. Let the university handle it in-house.

Good solution, unfortunately in today's society all people see is $$$$$$.

ThaVirus
03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
i just dont feel like he had intent to injury and had no record. if the kid had a history for being a "bully" thats one thing, but a felony charge is bullshit. the part of this story that pisses me off the most is that they are just using this to set up a civil lawsuit and try and pull the university in with large pockets to try and get a big payout. all for getting knocked over. i just think its been blown way out of proportion.

Very true. He just got caught up in the hype of the 'mob mentality' and thought it would be cool to rough up the opposing teams band geeks. In my perfect world, karma would have his ass beat by the band geeks cage-fighting older brother and that be that. Maybe make him think twice about bullying the next guy.. But in America, its more likely to become a big pay day for the victim than some simple street justice.

WoodDraw
03-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Very true. He just got caught up in the hype of the 'mob mentality' and thought it would be cool to rough up the opposing teams band geeks. In my perfect world, karma would have his ass beat by the band geeks cage-fighting older brother and that be that. Maybe make him think twice about bullying the next guy.. But in America, its more likely to become a big pay day for the victim than some simple street justice.

A three game suspension isn't acceptable for hitting an unprotected band member. Especially for a scholarship player that really loses nothing from that.

I could understand the three game punishment being acceptable if it was towards an opposition football player. Then you can chalk it up to idiocy in a football game, and justify it as horrible sporting behavior, but not assault. But what if he had done this to a camera man? Or a photographer? And they got concussions? Being on a football field doesn't give you immunity to hurt people. Assault should be treated the same on or off the field.

Most of the controversy in this thread comes from the dumb title. He won't get eight years in jail, or any jail time - as long as he doesn't have any history I guess. He'll get probation, community service, and hopefully some lessons in anger management. And that's probably exactly what he needs and deserves.

Just Passin' By
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
America's become a nation of pussies, so this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Imon Yourside
03-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Can the kid play Linebacker? Pioli Sign HIM UP!

T-post Tom
03-20-2012, 11:10 PM
And this one time, at band camp.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mcLDq5XUXdE/SpSVmR2ZJtI/AAAAAAAAAfY/-RlRSVLZIWA/s400/band-camp%5B1%5D.jpg