PDA

View Full Version : Life I got "doored" on my bike.

TinyEvel
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Let me start by saying I am a cyclist. I have been riding road bikes for 25 years, and I have very good control of the bike and road vision.

Three weeks ago I was riding in a painted bike lane on the right side of the traffic lane when a parked car opened a door right in front of me.
This is every cyclists worse nightmare. I've had some close calls but I am aways pretty alert. I was riding with two other guys who were about two bike lengths in front of me, and the door opened so fast it happened behind the guy in front of me but hit me.

I went through the door, over it, and landed in the street on my left shoulder and face. I immediately scooched to the edge of the road, laid on my back and asked them to call 911.

I had a gash in my eyebrow but the rest of me was just lightly scraped. Big issue was, the top of my humerus (upper arm bone) the ball was crushed and snapped clean off and wedged sideways into the socket.

Needless to say it was painful.

I've had surgery with a rod down the middle of my bone. I'm three weeks post-op. I'm trying to cycle off my pain meds and I was up all night, can't sleep because it hurts so much. Just really uncomfortable. It sucks because I use my brain for my job, requires deep thinking and it's tough to concentrate.

I wasn't ever going to post anything on here about it, but maybe some of you guys have had bad accidents/surgeries and have fully recovered, I could just use some cheering up to know that it will take time and I will be alright. Also, please look in your rear view before opening a car door when parked at a curb.

Cycling is my life. Right now I just feel lame and like I'll never be at peace or know the joy of the free road again.

TE

DJ's left nut
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Damn - sorry to hear that, E.

Medicine's pretty amazing these days, as many folks can attest. I had a friend that was on the back of a 4-wheeler, had his leg go up into the well and it compressed on his leg and pretty well shot the bone out. They put some titanium rods in it and he was on crutches for several months.

2 years later he's playing left-field on our softball team and running as well as ever.

Keep your chin up - doctors can do pretty amazing stuff. You'll be back on the bike before you know it.

RockChalk
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Jesus dude. Glad to hear your survived a collision like that. I assume you wear a helmet while riding?

Hopefully you'll recover more quickly than you anticipate and that pain will go away. After you've recovered and get back to cycling, it will be nothing more than a cautious memory

DMAC
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
That sucks man. You'll be back out there soon.

Looks like they used sheetrock screws!

ModSocks
03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Shoulda wore a helmet.

HemiEd
Dammit Tiny, that is terrible. When I first saw your thread title, I thought someone did it intentionally and you were on a motorcycle.

Time will help with the healing, and you have come a long way in just three short weeks.
I shattered an elbow in the late 70s, it was really painful for a very long time, but now it is my good elbow. :D

Hang in there Tiny!

keg in kc
Damn dude, that sucks massively. Hard to be patient, but you'll get back on that horse eventually.

loochy
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
http://www.sandiegopersonalinjuryattorney.pro/images/san-diego-bicycle-accident-lawyer-doored.jpg

J Diddy
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The body just needs some time to heal. Did you try rubbing some dirt on it? Or maybe some tussin?

ModSocks
03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah, that sucks man. I was in the hospital visiting my BIL last night because he broke his ankle. Had his foot completely facing the opposite direction.

I couldn't imagine having injuries like that. I've never broken a thing in my life (knock on wood), i'm far too sexy for that.

jiveturkey
Be patient with the healing process. I'm finding as I get older the process is taking longer and it brings me down because it leads me to believe that I'll never heal.

And follow once you start physical and/or occupational therapy you'll want to stick to it and push yourself as far as they'll let you.

Phobia
Just be thankful you live in the era of modern medicine. 100 years ago, they would have given you some herbs and if you lived for a week probably cut your arm off. Of course, the bikes were much taller then so you would have fallen harder and probably killed yourself anyway. Hopefully this has cheered you up sufficiently.

TinyEvel
03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Shoulda wore a helmet.

I always wear a helmet

L.A. Chieffan
03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Sucks tiny, that really sucks bro. guess youre going to have to make the wife handle a bunch of shit around the house. just curious though im kind of interested in getting a bike and wonder if i could use your expertise. i want a bike than can go up steep asphalt streets easily and then if i wanted to take it off into the dirt and go crazy out in the boons it will work good as well.
any suggestions?

L.A. Chieffan
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
do you ride down mulholland?

bevischief
That sounds painful. What is the recovery time for something like that? I have had re-constitutive surgery on big toe joint and spent a month on crutches. It does get better.

FYI you are going to know what the weather is going to do about 24 hrs before the weatherman.

RockChalk
I always wear a helmet

Out of curiosity, did your helmet actually ever touch pavement? Just wondering if it possibly saved your life. Based on your story, sounds like your shoulder took on about 90% of the impact, with your eyebrow taking the remainder.

rageeumr
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Ugh. You're right, this is pretty much my worst nightmare. I only started road cycling a couple of years ago, and I've already had a few close calls. Just last weekend a guy in a Hummer laid on his horn and passed me, giving me literally a couple of inches of clearance, when he had all the room in the world to pass.

I know this is obvious, but be thankful you hurt your upper body and not your legs. What kind of PT will you have to go through before you can get back in the saddle?

DaFace
Yikes - that doesn't look like much fun. Out of curiosity, is the driver of the car responsible for that?

Iowanian
That does suck and will probably take you a while to come back to full speed, but you're an athletic guy so that should help.

I think you're looking at this wrong though, you've got time to think when you can't do other physical things and you've got a new perspective that can be leveraged in your creativity for work.

Think of all the ideas you will have for anything involving a client in need of something for medication, accident insurance.....lots of good can come from this bad situation.

Brock
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
You're lucky to be walking, man.

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I always wear a helmet

Shoulda wore a shoulder helmet.

Dang. Sorry to hear about this, tinyevel. As a jogger on city streets, I've had a few close calls with cars, but never actual contact. As a runner I have a lot more time to react than a biker would at higher speeds.

I'm sure you'll recover fully, but I suspect it'll just take a while. It sounds like you're early in the process now, but do you have a rehab routine that you'll be doing once it mends a bit? I always hear that that's important.

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Just be thankful you live in the era of modern medicine. 100 years ago, they would have given you some herbs and if you lived for a week probably cut your arm off. Of course, the bikes were much taller then so you would have fallen harder and probably killed yourself anyway. Hopefully this has cheered you up sufficiently.

But then again horses don't have doors, so maybe the accident wouldn't have happened.

Omaha
03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Let me start by saying I am a cyclist. I have been riding road bikes for 25 years, and I have very good control of the bike and road vision.

Three weeks ago I was riding in a painted bike lane on the right side of the traffic lane when a parked car opened a door right in front of me.
This is every cyclists worse nightmare. I've had some close calls but I am aways pretty alert. I was riding with two other guys who were about two bike lengths in front of me, and the door opened so fast it happened behind the guy in front of me but hit me.

I went through the door, over it, and landed in the street on my left shoulder and face. I immediately scooched to the edge of the road, laid on my back and asked them to call 911.

I had a gash in my eyebrow but the rest of me was just lightly scraped. Big issue was, the top of my humerus (upper arm bone) the ball was crushed and snapped clean off and wedged sideways into the socket.

Needless to say it was painful.

I've had surgery with a rod down the middle of my bone. I'm three weeks post-op. I'm trying to cycle off my pain meds and I was up all night, can't sleep because it hurts so much. Just really uncomfortable. It sucks because I use my brain for my job, requires deep thinking and it's tough to concentrate.

I wasn't ever going to post anything on here about it, but maybe some of you guys have had bad accidents/surgeries and have fully recovered, I could just use some cheering up to know that it will take time and I will be alright. Also, please look in your rear view before opening a car door when parked at a curb.

Cycling is my life. Right now I just feel lame and like I'll never be at peace or know the joy of the free road again.

TE

Dude, this sucks. I ride, too. Right now, I'm laid up with a back injury so I know how you feel. When you're hurt, you feel like you'll never be right again, but you will. I am hopeful that I'm near the end of my rehab & I hope to ride this summer. Just find ways to stay active during your recovery. Good luck!

KCUnited
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a similar rod through my right femur from an auto accident 16 years ago. Funny thing was I had so many fractures that I was in the hospital a week before they realized my right humerus was broken as well.

That said, I spent nearly 2 years in college fighting through the Percocet fog while rehabbing, it was tough, but I made it through it.

For the cheer up, 16 years later, I have a few range of motion limitations, I'm a little shorter off the tee, but I'm in better shape mentally and physically than I was prior to my accident.

Only makes you stronger, man.

Frosty
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Shoulda wore a shoulder helmet.

https://www.peruadventurestours.com/Images/body_armor.jpg

DMAC
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Ugh. You're right, this is pretty much my worst nightmare. I only started road cycling a couple of years ago, and I've already had a few close calls. Just last weekend a guy in a Hummer laid on his horn and passed me, giving me literally a couple of inches of clearance, when he had all the room in the world to pass.

I know this is obvious, but be thankful you hurt your upper body and not your legs. What kind of PT will you have to go through before you can get back in the saddle?

This is why I dont road bike anymore. Every morning some asshole would do this to me. Why do people have to be like that?

I stick to the trail now. Much more fun anyway.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
That sucks. Hope your recovery is smoother and fast from here on out.

I've not had anything quite that bad, but I have a few stories. Here's one.

I used to ride my mountain bike to work in the warm weather months. One morning, it started to sprinkle. As I was riding through Washburn University's campus, I took a sidewalk that has a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill. I had done this many times with no problem. But this time with sprinkle, the concrete was slightly wet and therefore very slippery. When I tried to take the turn at the bottom, I wiped out.

I still rode on the rest of the way to work (about another mile), but it was painful. I had road rash in 4 places (including my butt cheek) as well as bruising. It was very painful and I could hardly sit down for awhile. I guess I learned a lesson that day. Slow down in wet conditions.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Also, I have had a few close calls with idiot drivers. Mostly, though, I stayed off the streets. Yes, I know it is illegal to ride a bike on sidewalks. I don't care. :D

L.A. Chieffan
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
https://www.peruadventurestours.com/Images/body_armor.jpg

i know the dude that started that company

Frosty
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
i know the dude that started that company

Cool. I just picked a random body armor pic, so don't know anything about them.

TinyEvel
Thanks for the encouragement, friends. I know that a lot of people have had much worse in their life. I don't mean to complain, (I know I am actually lucky - it could have been a lot worse if I had hit the edge of the door straight-on). I was just really hurting and bummed this morning and you guys are cheering me up. Thanks.

rageeumr
This is why I dont road bike anymore. Every morning some asshole would do this to me. Why do people have to be like that?

I stick to the trail now. Much more fun anyway.

I'm training for Ironman Kansas, so I am riding far faster than what is safe on a trail. People texting, kids running around half-supervised, it's just too often that you come around a corner and have to lock up your brakes. Plus the trails around here are pancake flat, so you don't get any hill work at all.

95% of the time I am out in the country where there are very few cars. But in this particular instance I had gone into town to hit some bike lane streets, and was on my way back out of town when this a-hole decided the 10 seconds I cost him was worth buzzing me over.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Yikes - that doesn't look like much fun. Out of curiosity, is the driver of the car responsible for that?

I'm sure it was the driver's fault if he was in a designated bike path. Unfortunately, people forget to look before opening their door.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
As a runner I have a lot more time to react than a biker would at higher speeds.

Well, you never know.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-fz4RbaJdXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMAC
03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm training for Ironman Kansas, so I am riding far faster than what is safe on a trail. People texting, kids running around half-supervised, it's just too often that you come around a corner and have to lock up your brakes. Plus the trails around here are pancake flat, so you don't get any hill work at all.

95% of the time I am out in the country where there are very few cars. But in this particular instance I had gone into town to hit some bike lane streets, and was on my way back out of town when this a-hole decided the 10 seconds I cost him was worth buzzing me over.

We have a park maintained mtn bike trail system just 5 minutes from town. Hills, jumps, woods, creeks...you name it.

KCUnited
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
In my experience the psychology of the injury was harder to manage than the discomfort and pain. Staying positive can sometimes be harder than the rehab regement.

Rasputin
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Why do they call it the humerus bone? Nothing funny about it when you bump it.

Phobia
03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
This is exactly why I don't cycle any longer...

Oh wait, no it's not. I'm lazy and old. Forgetful too..

Deberg_1990
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow, thats sucks Tiny. Stay postive, heal up quickly and play lots of PS3!

Hopefully the person that doored you was apologetic about it.

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Well, you never know.

Man, I'm not sure I needed to see that. It's hard to imagine that that innocent pedestrian wasn't killed.

HoneyBadger
03-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Put a band aid on it and stop whining!

But I know how you feel. I broke the same bone a year ago this weekend. It took me about 8 weeks before I could even lift my arm. 3 months later I was able to life about 5 lbs, that was exciting. I still feel pain in it, and I'm terrified that it will re-break.

Phobia
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
When Evel Knievel broke most the bones in his body he never once logged in to ChiefsPlanet to complain about it. In fact, he never even complained about any sort of pain on here. Something to think about there, TE. You're letting us and your hero down.

Donger
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear this, Tiny. This is why I minimize the amount of time I ride on roads, just enough to get onto a trail.

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
When Evel Knievel broke most the bones in his body he never once logged in to ChiefsPlanet to complain about it. In fact, he never even complained about any sort of pain on here. Something to think about there, TE. You're letting us and your hero down.

Y'know, now that you mention it, tinyevel never told us how many cars he cleared before the crash.

vailpass
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Very sorry to hear it and best wishes for a full recovery.

I see the cyclists riding in the painted bike lanes on the streets here in Phoenix and always think "damn man if anything goes wrong you are screwed". I see other motorists cut bikes off or come within an inch of them all the time.To be honest I don't like them being on the road right next to my car.

Groves
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I think you're taking your Evel Knievel obsession a bit too far.

Or maybe it's not far enough. Even EK was bright enough to sell tickets.

We're glad you're alive. Get better.

Graystoke
03-22-2012, 11:09 AM
That suks! I am not a big fan of bike lanes. When I ride its usually out on County Rds. Sounds like you did everything right, its just dangerous out there. I never ride the roads on Fridays. People are in a hurry and distracted.
Good luck and heal fast!

Otter
03-22-2012, 11:09 AM
I had a leg do the same damn thing over a rope bridge a couple years ago TinyE. Wounds heal and chicks dig scars.

Suck it up!

Hurts like hell but enjoy the downtime.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Man, I'm not sure I needed to see that. It's hard to imagine that that innocent pedestrian wasn't killed.

Yeah, he survived. I saw that on some show (the name escapes me). They have episodes about that kind of thing every week. Or did. Not sure if it's on the air still.

Rausch
03-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I wasn't ever going to post anything on here about it, but maybe some of you guys have had bad accidents/surgeries and have fully recovered, I could just use some cheering up to know that it will take time and I will be alright.

OUCH.

That said, man up.

Don't be a bidge.

Somehow, some way, figure out how you'll get back on that crazy idea train and rally yer' boyz (by this I also include friendly female coworkers) to keep pressing the public to WANT your product.

You've been here a long time and I.......whut?.....he......whut?

(edit) Tomorrow there will still be games to play. Motherfucker, take an AFLAC day or 20...

lcarus
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah riding bicycles on or near the same roads that cars drive on involves danger.

Lumpy
03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
That sucks, Tiny. :( I hope your recovery goes well and your downtime is spent w/ you staying positive.

Bugeater
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't ride on the streets. Ever.

trndobrd
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K7zNY0I5JNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: We have the technology.

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I live on a windey country highway and these damn bicyclist are always on it. It's only 2 lanes and it's very hilly with curves everywhere. There are always like 20 of them and they are so scattered out that it makes it difficult to pass them even though they are towards the right side of the side of the road so instead of doing 55 mph for 6 miles you get stuck bobbing and weaving through them at 20MPH. I'd like to open the door and hit them in the ass as I drive by.

That being said bad on them for not watching the bicycle lane before opening the door on you. Get well!

Bugeater
03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Out of curiosity, is the driver of the car responsible for that?
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Valiant
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Sucks. I would just jump on live and play some games online till you heal.

Then if you don't already, get some supplements for when you are ready to buld the body back up.

I only ride my bike on sidewalks, like said above, too many idiots like to fake swerve at me or hit the horn.

Speedy recovery to you.

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I just had a frightening thought. What if this isn't random? What if someone is targeting Chiefsplanet members with more than 5,000 posts? We should do a head count and make sure that no one is missing.

Graystoke
03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I just had a frightening thought. What if this isn't random? What if someone is targeting Chiefsplanet members with more than 5,000 posts? We should do a head count and make sure that no one is missing.

I am safe then...right?

vailpass
03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
I am safe then...right?

He meant 500. You may want to stop now.

rageeumr
03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd like to open the door and hit them in the ass as I drive by.

And this is exactly the kind of ignorant thinking I'm talking about. They have the same right to be on that road that you do.

vailpass
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
And this is exactly the kind of ignorant thinking I'm talking about. They have the same right to be on that road that you do.

And the same right to get into a collision. With drastically less odds of surviving.

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Sure, but they are being douche bags riding in a 1/4 mile long line on a rural stretch of hwy that it is difficult to pass on and extends for 10 miles.

rageeumr
03-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Sure, but they are being douche bags riding in a 1/4 mile long line on a rural stretch of hwy that it is difficult to pass on and extends for 10 miles.

I can certainly understand the frustration with that. But the #1 thing that cyclists can do to increase their safety is ride in groups. Nothing improves visibility like being in a group. And I believe it's illegal to ride any more than 2 abreast, and most advisable to ride single file.

It does sound like these groups you're encountering should probably split into a few smaller waves, though.

whoman69
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Bike paths.

88TG88
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear this Tiny. Did the doctors say you could ride again ?

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I can certainly understand the frustration with that. But the #1 thing that cyclists can do to increase their safety is ride in groups. Nothing improves visibility like being in a group. And I believe it's illegal to ride any more than 2 abreast, and most advisable to ride single file.

It does sound like these groups you're encountering should probably split into a few smaller waves, though.

That would be a good idea, or pick one of the many other places to ride their bikes. 1 or 2 isn't a big deal, but those packs are a pita.

Buehler445
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Suck dude.

My dad fell off the roof of our shop last summer and had a bunch of hardware put in. It takes some time to heal, but you'll get there bud.

Frazod
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Ouch. Good luck with your recovery.

rageeumr
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
That would be a good idea, or pick one of the many other places to ride their bikes. 1 or 2 isn't a big deal, but those packs are a pita.

I should probably quit muddying up TE's thread, but I'll make one more post.

You might be surprised how hard it is to find decent places to ride. I'm from St. Joe originally, so I know there aren't too many streets with bike lanes in the city. You don't want to hold up city traffic, so naturally cyclists gravitate to the outskirts of towns.

I personally try to avoid highways and 55MPH+ roads if at all possible, but once you get a certain distance away from a city, all that's really paved are the highways.

Bugeater
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I should probably quit muddying up TE's thread, but I'll make one more post.

You might be surprised how hard it is to find decent places to ride. I'm from St. Joe originally, so I know there aren't too many streets with bike lanes in the city. You don't want to hold up city traffic, so naturally cyclists gravitate to the outskirts of towns.

I personally try to avoid highways and 55MPH+ roads if at all possible, but once you get a certain distance away from a city, all that's really paved are the highways.
Is pavement really worth risking getting crushed by a semi to you? It isn't to me.

cdcox
03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Sorry about the face crayon, Tiny E.

This kind of thing is why I pretty much gave up cycling. Hope you heal fast.

KCFANinNC
03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Did you get their insurance? They should definitely be liable for damages.

Iowanian
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, friends. I know that a lot of people have had much worse in their life. I don't mean to complain, (I know I am actually lucky - it could have been a lot worse if I had hit the edge of the door straight-on). I was just really hurting and bummed this morning and you guys are cheering me up. Thanks.

Hang in there.

At least upon hearing about your accident, Whitlock didn't tweet about you punishing the driver with 2" of pain...

Oh, and you'll probably get paid handsomely for your troubles.....You'll do Hawaii on their dime.

Maybe you can schedule a recovery surf with the girl with 1 arm.

Monty
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
It will take time, but you'll get out there again. I went through this 2 years ago and couldn't ride the Gold Wing for a couple of months. It seemed like an eternity, but once you're back on, you're good to go. Godspeed in getting healthy Jason.

I second the recovery surf session. Just get pics because you know you'll be asked for them. :)

headsnap
03-22-2012, 09:15 PM

yeah, the difference is that I am on that road to go to work and they are there as recreation... riding side by side on the only winding road by my house that leads to town, throwing attitude when I pass them as they 'make a statement' by staying in the side by side formation while my behemoth Armada is behind them at sub 25mph... sure it's a beautiful road, but the road is there for a reason, there are houses and people that live out there that need to go to work/school/grocery store, etc...

I am a 'cyclist', I race BMX seriously on the National level, race DH MTB and Freeride and some Cross Country, my hobby/recreation doesn't make anyone late for work!

headsnap
03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
ok Tiny, after that rant...

it'll take a little while but you WILL be back. I have had friends get hurt bad racing BMX(guys in their mid 40s). One shattered his collar bone a year and a half ago and said he was done with racing... I raced him two weeks ago and he was as strong as ever. Another shattered his elbow like you and is also back to his old(younger) self!

stay positive and keep SPINING!!!!

Simply Red
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
This is really sad news from my motivated, ambitious buddy.

I hate to hear that. You'll make it through it. That sucks though, I know your lifestyle and way of life 'mentally' of an adventurous mind and spirit, and I know this speed bumps it, I really hate hearing this J.

Let me know if you want to play some online pool or something.

-SR

Chest Rockwell
03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
That looks and sounds like a whole lot of no fun. Hope your recovery progresses well and that the pain becomes manageable soon.

That said, no one has asked the really important question yet: is the bike ok?